Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dirt_under_my_nails

update: mnf ' garden junk' # 2

Calling all "Garden Junkers" !!!! Come join us as we decorate our gardens!

Plastic Flamingos,Bottle Trees,Tipsy Pots or maybe that lady bent over gardening sign!Tea cups as birdfeeders,clay pots as animals,silverware as windchimes!!!!!Afraid of what the neighbors think?? Wellll..... cute garden signs,painted rocks, & normal windchimes acceptable too!!

So, here are the RULES........

(1) As per GW rules, you must be at least 18 years old to participate in this swap.

(2) One garden art/junk item for your buddy. Can be homemade!!!(reduce,reuse,recycle!!!)

(3)4 DIFFERENT plants.

Seeds do not count & will be considered gifts.

(4)Signups go until August 10th. Packages must be sent by the 25th of August.

(5) Priority mailing & delivery confirmation is a MUST!(NO one wants LOST art & rotted mushy plants!!)

(6) Keep it inexpensive!

(7) Have fun !

If you are someone who likes to lurk , please post a HELLO! We love Making NEW FRIENDS! Come on in and sit a spell! Have Garden Junk? We would love to see photos!!!

Let the Junking begin!!!!

Later....April/dirt_under_my_nails

Comments (150)

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Oh, I forgot to mention, Marie also sent me some of her tangerine coneflower seeds! I fell in love with them when she put a pic up on the aug. pics thread!
    Thanks again Marie!
    Vic

• dan_the_mailman
    15 years ago

Been out in the garden today, collecting seeds and pulling/moving plants around. I also got Jay & Rhonda's box out for them finally. Sorry it took so long! The dc# is 0307 0020 0005 4409 0585

• karenh71867
    15 years ago

April, I'm day behind, my box will go out tomorrow! I received a message from Jay & Rhonda, and my package went out today.

Have a great day!
    Karen

• diene
    15 years ago

Hello All;
    I was the recipient of a box full of different kinds of hoyas. What are hoyas? I have done a bit of research and they are some really neat plants. I need to do a bit more research and I have put the plants in water while I figure it out but I am thrilled.
    Winter is fast approaching here and today's paper said it was going to be a bad one.
    How much fun will it be to have flowering plants in the house in the winter. Deb promised me they were easy which is what I need. Thanks so much for all the plants and an introduction to a new vice.
    I hope to return the favor.
    She also sent a bunch of seeds which I have yet to peruse. Deb knows that I have plenty of my own junk and do not need anyone elses.
    Thanks, Deb.
    diene

• dirt_under_my_nails
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Morning All! We are slowly getting back to normal(well normal for us anyway!)now that the in-laws are gone. Seems that we are getting a vist from Fay! It's been raining since Sunday night & no signs of it letting up. Lake Lanier needs EVERY drop!
    Of course today the kids get their school photos made.Thinking that putting Taylor's hair on hot rollers this morning was a waste of our time!Plus tonight is Open House/PTO meeting at the school.Maybe the rain could let up a little before then...

Glad everyone is liking their boxes. Here is the update on the sent list:
    jay & rhonda send to kalena~ sent
    linda sends to nikki
    joan sends to dan
    kalena sends to dirt
    marie sends to vic ~ received
    deb sends to diene~received
    dan sends to jay& rhonda ~sent
    diene sends to deb ~received
    vic sends to marie
    dirt sends to linda~ received
    Please let me know if I missed anyone.

later...April/dirt

• lindaruzicka
    15 years ago

who sends to Nikki?

• ejmoore510
    15 years ago

Ok, swam to the post office and sent Dan's box out today. :)
    First Class # 0306 2400 0003 0183 0499. Sorry I'm late.
    Hope you like everything Dan!

Joan

• dan_the_mailman
    15 years ago

um, Linda, time to put the bailey's away I guess. YOU send to Nikki! time to cut the dosage, eh? LOL!!!

okay everyone, I sent Linda an e-mail, so maybe, if we take control of her meds for awhile, she'll be alright.

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Umm, Linda......looks like YOU do! LOL

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Umm, Linda......looks like YOU do! LOL

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Marie, your package is headed to the PO!
    DC#0103 8555 7493 4426 5896

"crossing fingers, hoping she likes it!"

• karenh71867
    15 years ago

April, I have your box packed and ready to go, but realized that I don't have your address! Please send!! I'm going to send ya an email, also.

Great boxes everyone! I received a fantastic one from Jay and Rhonda today! They sent me:

A bird figurine on a tree branch that says welcome (soo cute!!)
    A cute little snail, its going in my potted plant inside!
    Glass gems, clear, blue, and a translucent (sp?) blue - I've put some in my fish aquarium :)
    Mixed Zinnia seeds
    Red Poppy seeds
    Baby's Breath seeds
    Red Tulip bulbs
    Siberian Iris bulbs
    Glory of the Snow bulbs~ can't wait to see these bloom!
    Liatris lavender
    and Astilbe simplifolia Hennie Grafland, I'm really excited about this, as I don't have any astilbe. I have a great place for it! Thank you so much for everthing! Love it all!!

Have a great day everyone!
    Karen

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Hey Dan, did you manage to pry that bottle of baileys out of Linda's hand yet?

Tracy, looks like we might have to take another trip to Betty Ford. You warm up the van, I'll get the duct tape!

Karen, sounds like a great box!!

• lindaruzicka
    15 years ago

"hiding Bailey's"...I knew that...I just wanted to see if you guys were awake...."looking up at the ceiling".....

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

Wooooo lookie at all the cool goodies everyone is getting! Awesome!

Vic, I've got the van all warmed up and ready to go! Uh, er, we taking Dan or Linda? Both? Why does Linda keep looking up at the ceiling? Is she hallucinating?

• lindaruzicka
    15 years ago

okay, I know that I send to Nikki...but who does Nikki send too?..."eyes crossed from looking at list"

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

Now I understand! I just looked at the first list and Nikki sends to Joan. ROFL! It's not posted on the updated swappers list.

• lindaruzicka
    15 years ago

"pouring another dollap of Bailey's in my tea"..whew...glad we have that straightened out!

• dirt_under_my_nails
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Maybe I'm the one who should be carted off. That's the 2nd time I fogotten to post who Nikki sends to. Guess I'll lay off of the cough syrup! LOL!!!

Looks like lots of boxes were flying today!Here is yet another updated(and hopefully correct) list:
    linda sends to nikki
    joan sends to dan ~sent
    kalena sends to dirt
    dan sends to jay & rhonda ~sent
    vic sends to marie~sent
    nikki sends to joan
    Please let me know if I missed anyone.

later...April/dirt

• nikkineel
    15 years ago

ROFL!!!! Looks like I've been the topic of some hilarious conversation today! Gosh, I'll take what Linda is having - or maybe I shouldn't (wink). TOO Funny!
    For the record, I'm sending to Joan and her box went out today. I can't find my little slip with the confirmation number but I will send it when I find it.
    Note to Joan, this is the "plants" box. The garden "junk" item is ordered from a friend in a neighboring city and she is mailing it to you direct (no sense paying for the gas to drive 40 miles one way). Great box, Karen. I know you'll love your astilbe. Making my way into the next room... Nikki

• wynative
    15 years ago

Vic,

Zack is just to cute! He is smiling as big as the frog : )
    I am excited about my box! I also went to the Farmers market but just bought veggies. I got the best Jalapino's that were not hot at all, kalarabi & yellow squash. Sunday Megin & I had grilled poppers & squash - yummy!!

Deb,
    Toby is so sweet. thanks for sharing & please post more when ever the mood strikes : ) My Boston's name was
    Lord J.R. Woofenstein! Great doggys....

Marie

• jaleeisa
    15 years ago

My Boston's name is Snarf. He's a sweet boy and very smart. I adore the way they cock their heads when you talk to them! So, does anyone recognize the significance of his name?

Kathy

• lindaruzicka
    15 years ago

Nikki's box will be mailed out tomorrow. I found the one other thing I was looking for..(yah!)..."offering some tea with Bailey's to Nikki"..try some, you'll like it!.."G"

• wynative
    15 years ago

Vic,

Thank you so much for the great box! Wonderful choice in plants!! I have been wanting a Kalanchoe ever since I killed my last one :0 I don't know what happened to it, I came to work one day and it had croaked. Since she blooms red, I potted her in a green pot.

and this is the other plants that Vicky sent:
    Yellow Flowering Sedum - I need stuff like this to help with ground cover. The wind has already started blowing steady in anticipation for fall and the dirt/sand is terrible!

Vinca!!!! I always have room for this - they bloom for so long in the spring and make life prettier : )

24 mixed Crocus - I was just thinking about ordering some of these. I am planting them in my lawn, they will be awsome in the spring!

A gift for Megin - have to wait till she open's it before I post as I can't tell through the wrap... Also lots of bubble wrap - I am running low and can't find it here LOL & PURPLE TAPE!! Okay, Vic I have to know where you got this, very cool.

Now for the 'Junk'
    An absolutly adorable Frog in a Hammock! Plenty of rope to hang him from my big Cottonwood tree!!
    and..... drum roll for Vic here:
    A Bird House/Nest Hand Woven by VICKY! you did a great job on every thing.
    This picture doesn't do it justice but I wanted to share and let everyone know how talented you are! Yes, I am at work and they are on my desk..
    {{gwi:1293166}}

Thanks again!
    Marie

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Marie, I'm glad you liked your box. LMK if the bird house falls apart! LOL! It's the first time I've made one! And I am curious to see if the birds actually use it!

You want bubble wrap?? My brother gave me 3 cases of it when I moved! I have been saving it as I unpack! LOL

Vic

• lindaruzicka
    15 years ago

Nikki, here is your confirmation number: 03080730 0000 5993 9965....I had a card that I was going to enclose and I found it on my desk after I came back from the postoffice...grrrr....I hope you like everything..let me know if the plants made it okay!

• karenh71867
    15 years ago

Hi everyone!

Just wanted to let you know, April, that I sent your box yesterday! It has a dc# but I don't have it by me at the moment. I hope you like everything!

Have a good evening everyone! I'm going to be canning tomatos.

Karen

• dirt_under_my_nails
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Afternoon All!!
    All the boxes are flying out!!!YAY!!!
    Yet another updated list:
    linda sends to nikki ~sent
    joan sends to dan ~sent
    kalena sends to dirt~sent
    vic sends to marie~received
    nikki sends to joan~sent

Don't forget to post when your box arrives & let us know what's inside!!!!

Karen~ I will keep my eye out for it!

Feeling lazy so posted link to my bottle tree through my myspace page.Please ignore weeds in background!

Having yard sale tommorow...yay...,so back to pulling out stuff we never use & pricing it. Later...April/dirt

Here is a link that might be useful: My bottle tree

• ejmoore510
    15 years ago

WHOOO HOOOO! I officially nominate Nikki as QUEEN OF MNF GARDEN JUNK! Got my box last night and it was WONDERFUL!
    My husband said I looked like a kid on Christmas morning! I had a BLAST going through it!
    I got:
    Plants:
    Mexican Heather
    Joseph's Coat
    Mums (Yellow)
    Japanese Hollyfern
    2 BIG bags of seeds for:
    Yellow Hollyhock
    Purple Top Turnip (hubby wants me to put out next week for fall)
    Siloam Little Girl Daylily
    Seed packs of:
    Shasta Daisy
    Basil
    Zinnia
    Convoluulus
    Bulbs:
    (2) Gloxinia
    (1) Canna
    6 Copper Plant Stakes (Nice!) & the sweetest little rabbit water bulb for one of my pots!
    It was all just wonderful and NIKKI - THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! YOU ARE AWESOME!!!
    ALSO THANKS TO ALL OF YOU FOR LETTING ME JOIN IN!

Joan

• nikkineel
    15 years ago

Joan, you have mail. I wanted to remind you that the "junk" item is still on the way. I mailed the plants separately so that you would have them by the weekend. I'm sorry that your other surprise may be late a day or two. I'm happy you enjoyed your box! Nikki

• dirt_under_my_nails
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My box arrived today!!! Thanks so much Karen I love it all!! For the 'junk' she sent a blue blown glass hummingbird feeder & a blue,green,& mirror hanging garden decoration(see photo!)
    For the plants:(I had NONE of these!)
    'From a Distance' Iris
    'Parfait Bubbles' Iris
    'Lullabye Baby' Daylily
    Lady's Mantle
    Seeds: (NONE of these either;> )
    ~Phlox Dwarf Mix
    ~Cosmos 'Sensation Mix'
    ~Columbine wine color
    ~Coreopsis 'Jethro Tull
    ~Jacobs Ladder violet
    Thanks again!!

{{gwi:1293167}}

Updated Swap List:
    linda sends to nikki ~sent
    joan sends to dan ~sent
    kalena sends to dirt~received
    nikki sends to joan~received

Almost done,we can spend all our time over in Linda's pool!!!
    later...April/dirt
    sorry for the sideways photo. I'm starting to hate photobucket!

• dan_the_mailman
    15 years ago

hello y'all!
    April, I thought I'd update your list for you. According to usps.com, jay & rhonda received their box Thursday morning, and I'm still looking for mine from Joan to arrive, hopefully today.

Have a good weekend everyone!
    -Dan

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

April,
    What a great box!
    I had the same problem with pb, it seems to take them awhile to turn the pic! Drives me crazy!

Jay & Rhonda,
    Please share with us what you got! We all want to know!

Dan,
    Glad you are feeling better! It's great that you have Paula there to help you through this! She sounds like such a sweetie (as you've told us! hehe) I'm so happy for you that you found her!

Vic

• nikkineel
    15 years ago

April - I am impressed that you already have your items hanging so pretty! I love them both and they look great together. Dan, I was getting worried about ya. Tell Paula thanks from the gang for helping you recoup. It looks like it may dry up around here enough for me to get in the yard today. I'm so excited! I hope everyone has fun in the dirt today. Nik

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Hey Nikki,
    You don't have to rub it in that you've been getting rain! LOL! I'm going to do laundry today just so I can water my plants! (I only use grey water for them d/t the cost of having our cistern filled)

OH, that reminds me!
    I didn't tell you guys what I did! I'm sure most of you know I don't have a well or city water, we have a cistern that supplies our house with water and when we are low I call the company and they come fill it, PIA!
    Anyhow, I had just had it filled and was doing laundry about 5 days later, the washer was filling with rinse water and for some reason the "drain" on it didn't close, I heard the washer start to fill and didn't think anything about it till about 3 1/2hrs later and noticed it was STILL filling, but, the water was running right out into my grey water tank which overflowed and was flooding the back yard! (of course I have NO plants out there that got watered, just the clay!) What a mess! And I emptied over half of our water tank! Jamie wasn't too happy about it, but I told him that he promised me grass so maybe he should stop and buy some grass seed on the way home! LOL

Vic

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

April, those suncatchers are gorgeous! I love the blue and green glass! That will go so nicely with your bottle tree collection! I'm jealous!

Karen, you always send the most amazing boxes!

Vic, I can only say OH NO! I think I'd hide under my blankets after that. I hope you get some rain soon and refill the cistern so hubby won't be so cranky. :o)

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Tracy, the rain doesn't fill our cistern, It is a 2200 gal plastic tank in the ground that acts as out "well" it holds the water for the house like a well would, it can only be filled with clean water so we have a water company that comes out and fills it. (Ya I know, sounds like the stone ages! At least I don't have to go down to the river with a bucket! LOL)
    The ground here is too hard and rocky for a well and it would have to be a very deep one, if you could even find water. And we are too far out of town to get city water.

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

Wow, that is one heck of a set up. Too bad it doesn't allow for the trickle down of run-off water. We are on a well here. It's only 40 feet down and is small but manages to keep up with us. We replaced the pump on it this year and will need to replace the pressure tank this fall. This stuff can be a pain. I miss city water but not the monthly water and sewer bills so I won't complain too much! lol!

• nikkineel
    15 years ago

I received my box from Linda today and she sent me the best stuff!!! She sent:
    Plants:
    Malya Cebrina
    Bat faced cupea
    cleome
    cardinal vine
    All of these plants are new to me so I need to do a little research to make sure I keep them happy. If you have any tips, Linda, let me know.
    Fun stuff:
    sunflower wind spiral
    little blue birdhouse
    pansy scented candle
    lady bug ornament
    socks with flowers on them
    windchime with a hummbird at the top. WAY COOL!
    She even sent my daughter a fairy ornament and the cutest little handmade fairy door that you have ever seen. It even has hinges and a doorknob. How cute is that?
    Linda, you obviously put a lot of thought into my box of goodies. I absolutely love everything and can't wait to get everything properly placed in the gardens. Nikki

• dirt_under_my_nails
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the update Dan!

Cool Box you got there Nikki!!

Updated list:(once again)
    linda sends to nikki ~received
    joan sends to dan ~sent
    dan sends to jay & rhonda ~received

Just two more to be arrive & we are all done!!

Thanks to you all for making my first time hosting pretty easy!
    later....April/dirt

• karenh71867
    15 years ago

April, I'm glad everything made it safely, and you liked it! I wanted to let ya know that I did receive Jay and Rhonda's box and have posted about it. :)

Tracy, I thought the same thing about the blue colors matching Aprils blue bottle tree. I wish I would have picked one for myself, too! Like I mentioned to April, I had intended on making something myself, and just seemed to run out of time.

Everyones boxes sound wonderful! Jay & Rhonda, your plants are doing great, and my bird and snail are happy in their new homes!

It is hot today, about 90. We REALLY could use some rain.

Have a great day!
    Karen

• dirt_under_my_nails
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sorry Karen!! I missed the post.More than once too,it seems!LOL!!!I need to slow down when reading through the post!!later...April/dirt

P.S.
    My 2 year old is STILL playing with the red sparkly wrapping tissue that the items came in!

jay & rhonda send to kalena~ received
    linda sends to nikki ~received
    joan sends to dan ~sent
    dan sends to jay & rhonda ~received

• lindaruzicka
    15 years ago

Nikki, I'm glad that you liked everything and that the plants were okay. The plants I sent you were new ones for me this year too..so I don't too much about them..guess we'll find out together! I'm happy that Sarah liked the fairy things..."S"

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

Karen, I should have known that you thought of that! I know what you mean. There are tons of time that I send something off that I wish I got a double of for myself! lol!

I found these really pretty hummingbird feeders last spring at Old Time Pottery that were made of hand blown swirled green and blue glass, they were shaped like spheres. They were only 2.99 each. I got 9 of them and headed for the checkout, put them all on the counter, opened my purse up and saw that I left my wallet at home! I had to put them all back! I was kicking myself because by the time I was able to get back to that store they were all sold out! Grrrr! I planned on sending them as gifts with my RR's this summer. Of course I was keeping one for myself. The best layed plans always fall apart!

• dirt_under_my_nails
    Original Author
    15 years ago

glitter-graphics.com

Hope everyone has a great day. Still having the yard sale going on. Saturday was good,yesterday only made 2$! Hoping for better luck today!
    later....April/dirt

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

April,
    Yard sales are soooo much fun aren't they?!? I feel for ya, just get yourself a nice cold drink and park your behind in a lawn chair!

Tracy,
    What a bummer on the feeders, that was a great buy!

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!!

Vic

• dan_the_mailman
    15 years ago

Hey! I got home from having more blood drawn, and there was my box from Joan on the porch! Paula helped me open it, and it was fun to watch the excitement on her face as she pulled out the shredded paper and saw the goodies Joan sent! Here's what we received...

Plants...
    One Big Mystery Plant (Joan, what is this?)
    Mexican Heather
    Cypress Vine
    Rosemary

Seeds...
    Sweet William
    Echinacea
    Spider Flower
    Blue Flax

Goodies...
    Blue Terry Wipes
    Mountain Lodge Scented Candle
    Frog Statue (he looks like a tourist, how cool!)
    Garden Journal
    Gardening Gloves
    3-Piece Gardening Tool Set
    Photo Refrigerator Magnet
    Catnip Toys for the boys
    Foot Cooler
    Black Iron -n- Raffia Planter (can't wait to try that out next spring!)

All in all, a great box! Thank you Joan!

***now I'm off to investigate how to grow all the plants***

-Dan

• ejmoore510
    15 years ago

THANK GOODNESS!!!!!! I was beginning to think they sent it by pack mule! LOL I've been so worried about the plants! Are they ok? If they're too wilted, let me know, and I'll send more! After I packed it, I found the label for it the next day! HA! :) It's a red canna - the small kind, not the big ones. Sorry about that! I HAD SO MUCH FUN packing that box for you! As long as the plants are ok, I'm kind of glad you got it today after having a yucky day! Hope it cheered you up!
    I laughed over that frog! Thought you with your sense of humor would appreciate him. He looks like he's ready for one of our pool parties!
    Ok. Give Paula my best and you guys take good care of each other.

Joan

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

Dan, looks like you got a great box from Joan! Wow! I am cracking up at the frog guy. Too funny. Pool Party Mascot? lol!

Looks like we're waiting to see what Jay and Rhonda got from Dan still. Looking forward to hearing about it!

Tracy

• dan_the_mailman
    15 years ago

Joan, the plants all arrived in good condition, though the canna was beginning to dry out. The reason it took so long to get here was that it wasn't sent priority. At least, it didn't have any priority mail stickers on the box. But, in the end, everything was fine, and that's what counts.
    Oh, before I forget, Bump (my 1-year old) says thanks for the toys! He hasn't allowed Jason (my 4-year old) to play with them yet, but sometimes that's how it goes. They'll figure it out between themselves. Bump can't seem to decide which of the two toys he wants to play with, so he's been playing with both of them all evening!
    Thanks again!
    -Dan