Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poisondartfrog

new: fotess september, johnny appleseed

poisondartfrog
11 years ago

{{gwi:1293353}}

September 26 marks the 238th birthday of one of the nation's first environmentalists, John Chapman. Children usually learn the Tall Tales version of the life of Johnny Appleseed, but the reality is more interesting than the legend.

He was a true conservationist who believed that it was his duty to live a minimalist existence so as not to waste the earth's resources. He lived his philosophy in many ways, but respect for all races of people caused him to be regarded as a thoughtful person and his respect for animals led him to a vegetarian lifestyle. He was known for buying old horses set for slaughter and putting them out to pasture. Clothing to John Chapman served a practical purpose only and new clothes did not fit with his frugal stewardship of the natural world. His appearance reflected his belief.

Rather than wandering aimlessly planting apple trees as is often stated, he bought large tracts of land where he thought people would be settling and established orchards. He or his agents then sold, bartered or gave away trees, fruit, seeds, and even whole orchards.

This month's swap will be held Johnny Appleseed style. You must be a member of FOTESS to participate. If you are not a member and would like to join please contact Jeanne/sandlapper_rose or Shirley/sjc48 for assistance.

Send your partner 1 of each:

1. Something you have left over from this or a previous year's gardening season. This should be an inexpensive item like purchased seeds you did not sow, a pair of gloves you never got around to using, a package of plant labels, seed envelopes, something you accidentally bought two of, a gardening book you have read and no longer need, a nursery marking pen, a dibber, a package of garden note cards, any small garden related item that is useful or nice to have, but that you just never have gotten around to using or used only gently.

2. An apple themed item. This could be purchased or homemade. Examples would be a division of apple mint, seeds for apple cucumber or mayapple or something else with apple in the name, an apple corer, an apple potholder, a jar of homemade apple jelly, etc. This is a creative group-I am sure you can think of many more.

Sign ups will be until September 7, partner assignments will be posted by September 9, packages should be mailed by September 20 to be sure everyone receives by September 26. You may ship in whatever size container you need as long as you are fulfilling the requirements outlined for what to send and you get and post delivery confirmation. You can use Priority Mail or First Class Mail if your items weigh less than 13 ounces-that's up to you, but DC is not optional.

We'll play two games for appley (okay, not a word) prizes. The first one will take place when we get at last five players not counting myself, the second will start at the end of sign ups.

I hope a lot of you will play this month!

Alana

Comments (146)

• beth_b_kodiak
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Heidi that is a beautiful package. Thanks for posting the photo. Shirley is a great partner too. How creative.
    This morning we were surprised to see the size of the blossom on this tiny plant. It is Sacred Datura but they are also called "Thorn Apples" due to the shape of the seed pods. Not anybody's favorite apple I bet

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Shirley, you are a wonder! So creative.
    Have a great weekend,
    Alana

• sjc48
    11 years ago

Glad you liked the apple package, Heidi, the stickers gave me fits, but other than that, it was fun to put together! My Aunt gave me a book of her recipes when I got married and the Ritz Cracker Pie was one of them, that's how long I've had that recipe!

We're heading to a Hawkfest tomorrow; we went last year and it was really interesting. Got to talk to some falconers and learned a lot about their birds. Helpful Hint: Birds of prey are just as hard to get good shots of when they are sitting on someone's arm, as when they are flying or sitting in a tree! The Fest has "hawk related" things for kids to do as well, and craft booths, programs and good food!

Hope everyone has a good weekend!
    Shirley!

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Today's word is seeds .
    Happy day,
    Alana

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I got in a hurry and forgot to post Dianne's DC.

• MoonFire
    11 years ago

Oh wow I feel so behind...I've been busy the last few days or so and haven't had a chance to really post...been following the posts by email as they are sent to my email and i check it once a day if i can but haven't had time to reply back...i gotta tell ya i love sharing ya'lls lives lol...when i read the emails i feel like i'm actually kinda a close by friend or neighbor...please forgive me if i've seemed neglectful tho as some times get busier than others and i lose track of time...

Margo I've got your box just about ready to send out...i've had fun putting it together...altho I'm not as near artistic as Shirley!! lol...those cards are beautiful Shirley...

Alana I can't wait to get the package in the mail...it's always exciting waiting on surprises haha...makes me feel like a kid again...will let you know when it arrives :)

Hope all are having a great weekend :)

Dianne

• smitties
    11 years ago

Alana, your box is on the way to the post office as soon as I finish posting the DC.

9405 5036 9930 0140 2068 04

Hope you like it. Margo

• sjc48
    11 years ago

Had a great day today, and it all started with my apple box from Heidi! As you can see from the picture, she really outdid herself! Talk about creativity - check out the apple cards done in autumn colors! Where did you find the stencils for these? 7 cards and each card was different, very pretty! Heidi also sent lots of plastic seed baggies, very much needed, and also seed envies for ROS and RTHS, complete with planting instructions on the back. Where did you find these? What a great idea! Heidi also send these seeds: Cosmos, Nasturciums, Gaillardia Fanfare, AND!!! seeds for Jonathan Apples - how great is that! And totally appropriate!

Heidi, I give my cards as gifts to family and friends, also some here on GW, but have never received homemade cards myself, thank you so much for your thoughtfulness!
    (isn't it funny that we both sent cards?!)
    Thank you for a GREAT apple package!
    Shirley!

• sjc48
    11 years ago

Happy Birthday to new FOTESS member, Keyla!
    Hope your day was a good one, Keyla!
    Shirley!

• gardenofeden777
    11 years ago

Happy Birthday Keyla!!!

My favorite apples are Gala & Fuji. I think they are the sweetest. And they are in all the local groceries.

You guys are creative.

Jeanne - Whatever you put in I will be happy with! Thank you! I have all your box together to mail on Monday boxed and taped the DC is 0310 1230 0001 1960 7831.

Katie, I love frog legs as well. My favorite fish is Trout, yum! And I love stuffed crabs, or any dish with crab. The gator I ate was chewy, bleck! Never have wanted to try it again. But snake? Oh no no no can do. Snakes are the things my nightmares (literally) are made of! lol And now I am hungry for seafood after all this talk!

Have a terrific Sunday everyone!

Rena'

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    11 years ago

HBD Keyla!
    Heidi, those cards are so pretty! After you and Shirley I am feeling distinctly boring and unhandy.

Today's word is conservationist .

• sandlapper_rose
    11 years ago

Heidi, those cards are so pretty! After you and Shirley I am feeling distinctly boring and unhandy.
    Same for me, Alana. Those packages are wonderful!

Happy Birthday, Keyla! Have a wonderful day.

Jeanne

• smitties
    11 years ago

Great boxes going around here.

I have four words for Bingo so far.

I have to work 12-4 today so hope to get outside and plant afterwards. I went to the greenhouse our store uses in the spring for our plants on the 7th. It was an open house and the owner of the store where I work didn't want to go but wanted to see what was new for next year. What fun my co worker and I had. They let us shop in two of the greenhouses. One had perennials for a dollar each so I bought 12 and the other had gallon size dianthus for $2 so I bought 2. Very fun. Now I need to get them planted.

Have a good Sunday everyone. Margo

• sjc48
    11 years ago

Good Morning!
    Thought I'd share a little of the Lord's creativity with you: this is a 4 month old, white morph Gyrfalcon, a bird that I never expected to see in my lifetime. I am a little surprised to see her used in falconry. I know that they have been sighted in the Rockies, but it is rare. The southernmost tip of their range is northern Canada. Hopefully the guy will take her back up there, when it is time to release her.
    I'm not sure how I feel about this, but am very grateful to have seen her. Beautiful bird!
    Have a great Sunday!
    Shirley!

• canyonwind
    11 years ago

Shirley and Heidi, lovely boxes of "apples". Very creative! I have received cards from Shirley and they are beautiful!! LOVE them!!

Alana, I love jerkey but have never heard of rattlesnake jerkey. I wonder if that is something you find in your Southern neck of the woods/Carolinas, Texas etc... We certainly have rattlesnakes around here....plenty of them are creeping around my yard and in the canyon behind our home....but I have never found rattlesnake jerkey for sale. I must investigate the best place to purchase some!

And Frog Legs are delicious!! Gator is not for sale here in CA but I did have it for lunch when I was in Louisiana a few years ago....loved it!

Happy Sunday!

Annie

• beth_b_kodiak
    11 years ago

Happy Birthday Keyla. HOpe it is just the sort of day you would wish for.
    Shirley, that is a beautiful bird and I too hope it gets to go back home.
    About ready to mail the box but sure not feeling as creative as you gals. Really nice art work on the cards.

• smitties
    11 years ago

Shirley, that is a beautiful bird indeed. Is it recuperating from an injury? It is a unique opportunity. I almost convinced my husband to attend the hawkfest, (which is where I assume you saw this) but we ended up staying at home where it was quite boring. LOL

Margo

• sjc48
    11 years ago

Margo, yes, it was at the Hawkfest at Lake Erie Metro Park. And no, she is a perfectly healthy bird. At this point.

The lady and her family with all the hawks/owls/falcons was there again this year. They have added a Barbary Falcon, quite beautiful. I'm not sure if they hunt their birds or not. There were a lot more "solo" falconers there this year, including the guy with the Gyr. These men/women DO hunt their birds, which I would love to participate in!

I know that these birds are not being "held in captivity", i.e., they can fly away any time they want to, but something about the Gyrfalcon just isn't sitting right with me. I wish they would have left her free.
    Shirley

• kchd
    11 years ago

Happy Birthday Keyla!

Oooo, look at those lovely notecards Shirley & Heidi made. And how funny that you both ended up sending to each other. Those are lovely! Y'all are some crafty ladies. Inspiring, too. I might have to get more crafty...

Shirley - you captured a great photo of a stunning gyrfalcon! I have not been lucky enough to see a wild one yet, but one day... I am with you, too, in your sentiments about her being used in falconry. If healthy and capable of surviving on her own, I would much rather that she exist in the wild, without interactions with/influences by humans.

Vina - your package is all boxed up with label printed & attached. It will go out in the mail tomorrow.
    DC# 9405503699300140460398 Yay!

Jeeze, what's up with the annoying ads that are popping up everytime you click to post a reply to a thread? Is anyone else experiencing this?

Katie

• smitties
    11 years ago

Katie, I have noticed those pop ups too and wondered what was up. I usually have programs to stop that from happening. It is very annoying.

Shirley, you must remind me next year of this hawkfest as I would love to attend and find out more about falconry. I was not aware they use these birds for "hunting" and not sure what to think of it. Maybe I will google it.

Just came in from doing some serious clearing in parts of my gardens. So much more to do. It got way out of control during the hot weather and then my enthusiasm kind of peters out when August/September arrives.

Well, on to packing my lunch for tomorrow. Good night all. Margo

• xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
    11 years ago

I have a very creative streak. I made up a template to make seed envelopes and it's easy to change and make some for other people and it's fun. I'm always explaining to people, "It's fun. I LIKE IT." Most people are looking at me like, 'Wouldn't you rather fish, camp, bowl, shop, do pilates, play bingo, watch softball games?' Nope! I use Microsoft Publisher so I can put words and boxes wherever I want. My father bought me a Cricut cutter so I enjoy using that, too--a computerized cutter. I couldn't believe Shirley and I sent each other cards! That was great.
    What a gorgeous falcon. Looks so regal. Do hope they release it.
    Happy Birthday!

• sjc48
    11 years ago

Margo, we're going again next year, and I'll certainly remind you!
    Falconry is really interesting. Strictly regulated, at least in Michigan, Ohio and Pennsylvania. I've never read in the regulations that they have to release the birds, but I could be wrong. All of the falconers that I've talked to, do release them after two years. That's if they don't fly away first!
    It has never bothered me to see the hawks or other falcons being kept.
    I'm sorry this has gotten so far off topic!
    I too worked outside in my gardens today, carefully ignoring the "entanglement!" I'll get it cleared, sooner or later. And I'm still collecting seeds!
    Have a great week!
    Shirley!

• MoonFire
    11 years ago

Happy late birthday Keyla! Hope you had a great one :)

Gosh I feel so behind lol...just read thru and reread thru lol and gotta lot of catching up to do...rattlesnake jerky???...that's a new one even for me...had fried gator tail and loved it but it's gotta be cooked right...i'm a weird one tho...i'm not big on any seafood except for fish so no crawfish (altho hubby and youngest daughter and son gulp them down), no frog legs (those are for hubby and middle daughter), no oysters, no crab, no lobster (yes i'm a weirdo) hahaha...catfish is my favorite and then i like trout, bass, brim, and the typical southern river fish...will eat other fish like tuna, salmon, just about any fish but if there are catfish that's where i'll be :)

that falcon is beautiful!!...if i were a wizard lady i think i'd have a falcon instead of an owl lol...altho owls are awesome too...hhhmmm don't know what got me on that track other than we watch a lot of sci-fi and stuff and play online games where we are different imaginable characters as a hobby (the gardening kinda took over for us tho in the hobby area and haven't spent much time on gaming lately...at least gardening is productive haha)

Heidi, I think what you do is probably stressful but awesome! don't think i'd have the patience or brain power to do that kind of job

Margo...almost got your package together...will definitely get it out by the 20th!...sorry for taking so long on it...please forgive me and i'll try to make it worth the wait :)

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I like frog legs to stay on the frog so I would not consider eating them. I know. I'm a little strange and a bundle of contradictions, but that's me. One time when I was sent to an East Coast office to do some work the local colleagues that knew my feelings about eating frogs took me to a restaurant one evening for dinner that they told me I just had to try. I did not notice the name of the place and if I had I might not have recognized that it was "Frog Legs" in French. It was not until I got the menu that I realized why everyone was laughing and I had to laugh, too.
    There is a gas station I pass about once a month that usually has rattlesnake jerky next to the counter along with the usual beef jerky and other quick snack items. I will try to remember to pick up a package next time I go that way.
    I'm with you on the seafood Dianne, I prefer freshwater fishes to most seafood.
    I will be at home today, but we have a 100% chance of rain-much needed- so I won't complain.

Today's word(s) Northern Spy .

• MoonFire
    11 years ago

hahahaha Alana that is funny...reminds me of when i was stationed in germany in the army and the chow hall had catfish...i was excited til i picked up my fork and was about to take a bite and saw it was the eyeball...they left the head on it and fried it head and all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...i couldn't eat catfish for a while even tho i love it so much lol

I got my apple box today!!!!! Alana I love it :)))))...in the box were lillies (cultivar: Happy Apple), apple gourd seeds, and apple of peru (shoofly)...i had none of those seeds and i adore lillies and have wanted some shoofly but had forgot i wanted it lol...there was also a hummingbird feeder (I didn't have one at all and was planning on buying one when they went on sale after season was over)...so you saved me some money Alana...an apple scented candle (love candles) , apple tea, and an apple cup to drink it out of...thanks so much Alana for my box of goodies...I love it all :)

Margo...I got your box put together and will get it in the mail tomorrow or Wednesday...I know I'm cutting the deadline close...sorry it's taking so long for me to get with the program...

• gardenofeden777
    11 years ago

Jeanne - I received your package today! And yours went out. Thank you so much, I love all of it. Great creativity!
    My box from Jeanne had in it an apple pie, a container of dried apples, some hand-made plant tags in an apple cloth bag that she made, an apple card and some apple gourd seeds.
    Great package, thank you again Jeanne! I love dried fruit!
    I don't remember if I've eaten dried apples before. (I've not opened them yet though, not 'til I snap a pic. so I can post it here.) I love fresh fruit but am allergic to all fresh fruit, but not cooked or dried. I cook pancakes and my husband cooks fruit either apples or banana foster to go on top of them.

lol Alana

That was a beautiful falcon!

Hi Shirley!!

Hello to all my new found buddies!!!

Katie - Glad you're laughing with me neighbor! But you can laugh at me also, I laugh at myself all the time, I am a goof! lol Appreciated your "Can I call BINGO even though only five words were called?" ROFL I can't find that post but I know you wrote it somewhere. Alot of times I read the posts thru my e-mail with zero time to respond and then can't find them later to respond. So PLEEZ noone ever think that I have been offended because I'm silent! I do embarass myself (often) but then I get over everything relatively quickly! lol I can't stand facades, and if my friends like an image that I portray and it's not me then I'm not really liked right? Besides I can't help but be myself. When I die I want everyone that knew me to know that they really new me, the real me. Goofball and all! Like some people I know cheat any time they think thye can get away with it (adults)
    if you didn't win on your own merits how can you have any real satisfaction? My brother is the #1 cheater I know! lol
    I'll either stand on my own or fall on my own in life but it will be on my own. My own thoughts, my own words, my own deeds. Make it or break it baby!!! Woohoo Life is good! (couldn't leave on such a serious note) lol

Margo - One of the cats my son rescued Trixie had 4 kittens and one of them especially makes me think of you, it has an M on its head! A perfect letter M, I'm going to take a pic of her and show you, she is sooo cute!

Rena'

• canyonwind
    11 years ago

Beth,

Your "Johnny Appleseed" flew out of here today....
    DC# 0312 0090 0001 5684 8902

I packed both swaps, Johny Appleseed and Show Off Your State, together in a medium flat rate box. Johnny Appleseed contents will be in the GIFT BAG inside the box.

Diane....cool box!!

Annie

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm glad you liked it Dianne. I was worried about shipping a glass candle jar but it sounds like it made it okay.
    Today's word is vegetarian .

Home again today-we've had a couple of inches of rain with more to come. Where was that in April-August?
    Alana

• kchd
    11 years ago

Oh, Heidi! I had to go do a google search on what a "cricut" was. Holy cow, that looks like so much fun!! The sky is the limit with one of those things! I like to be crafty, too, but I don't always have the time (or space!) to do so. And I certainly have enough hobbies, too (too many, maybe?). But I, personally, would lump in 'fishing' at the top of the "I like it; IT'S FUN!" category.

Rena', glad you had a good, hearty laugh at my joke. I thought it was funny, too. LOL! I'm a super-goof, as well, but sometimes I worry that my goofing & teasing will offend someone, so I try to keep it at a minimum. (and no, I did not think your silence meant you were upset).

Dianne, no worries about being MIA. We all go through times of being super busy and can't respond right away. I do the same as you, re: reading the thread via email.

Alana, I love frogs, too - but still enjoy eating frog legs. But of all the hunting and fishing we do, I don't think I could bring myself to kill a bullfrog to eat the legs. Since I was a very little girl, I have always loved toads especially. I had a little teapot that I used to fill up with water, and pour into the toad holes where they lived so they would come out and I could play with them. They didn't seem to mind much, because they continued to stay and live there.

All the appley packages that are getting delivered sound wonderful!

Katie

• sjc48
    11 years ago

It's raining here today too, Alana, kind of gloomy looking out there! The Karma Blue pansies are loving this cooler weather!

I grew Shoofly years ago, never knew it was called Apple of Peru! It's a pretty plant, and you can use the seed pods in dried arrangements. What a great box, Dianne!

Did I read that right, Rena', did Jeanne send you an apple pie? Jeanne is a VERY creative lady, but--I'm sure I read that wrong! Let us know, Rena'! Sounds like a really nice apple box, regardless!

It's interesting to see how everyone interprets the theme, isn't it? Getting lots of ideas!

Hi Beth, Hi Annie!
    Have a great day, All!
    Shirley!

• smitties
    11 years ago

Shirley, did you get the thunderstorms too? We had them here and I really enjoyed it. We haven't had very many this year.

My kitty is going to her new home today. I am going to miss her. I knew I wouldn't keep her right from the start as we have just too many cats already and it isn't fair to her. I know my friend will take good care of her and I can see her on occasion. In the 10 days I have taken care of her, I have come to enjoy her company so it will be a sad parting :(

Rena, looking forward to seeing that picture. Glad I don't live close cause I just might feel compelled to give that one a good home here. I am such a sucker for a kitten/cat.

Margo

• sandlapper_rose
    11 years ago

Everyone who posts here is so creative and into so many things. I always look forward to reading what you have been up to!
    (Yes, I did send Rena' an apple pie - just a small one that came packed in its own little box. I thought for sure I would find apple related seeds in my stash, but not much luck - the only thing I came up with was Apple Gourds.)
    We are having some rain, too, but once again it's needed so that's okay.
    Jeanne

• gardenofeden777
    11 years ago

Katie - How did you make your DC # up above blue and clickable?
    That is really neat. Also people put other clickable links in their posts how do they do that?

Margo - I just found my camera 2 min. ago yay, now I can go take the 2 pics that I need to post.

Dianne - When I was young I wanted to join the army. And at 15
    in high school I joined ROTC. When my husband found out my plans he quickly put the brakes on that. But if he hadn't my health would of. So it was for the best.

Hello xiangirl! (I'm being to lazy to find my notebook with your name, and saw your post up above but not your name.) But I wanted to say hi anyway!

Talk to y'all again in a bit.

Rena'

• MoonFire
    11 years ago

Katie I love how you used to play with frogs lol...I had a pet gopher (the turtle type) when i was little...he'd come out of the high clay side bank in the dirt road down from where we lived and i would literally sit on him ...i couldn't say i'd ride as he didn't move past a step or 2 at a time lol...but he didn't seem to mind it...he was huge...i was around 3/4 years old tho so maybe he wasn't as big as i thought he was back then lol

Margo I got your box put in the mail today...the tracking # is 0311 3260 0001 1292 8296...hope you like it...i had fun putting it together altho i wasn't as artistic and creative as some of the boxes already sent out...

Looks like it's gonna rain again today...it's rained steady the last 2 days and an afternoon shower wouldn't be bad right now...the timeliness of it is way off tho...and it should be cooling off more i think...but it'll get down to the 70's and then the next day be up in the high 80's low 90's...

hope all are having a good week, dianne

• xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
    11 years ago

I had the "itch" to be in the dirt the last 2 days. I dug up an Autumn Joy Sedum that was taking over. I've been rearranging some plants--tall in the back, short in the front. I'm glad so many of you are getting rain. We're so dry. In fact, I think we're going to start measuring rain differently. We're going to institute a method of "by drops." Polka-dot is when the pavement has only dots of rain. The weatherman lied to us for a week and a half and all we got was Polka-Dot! ha
    Heidi

• gardenofeden777
    11 years ago

My box from Jeanne, thank you again Jeanne. :-)

I was shopping today when I thought Heidi xiangirl is Heidi!
    Yay, I was so happy my memory finally pulled it up. I kept meaning to look in my notebook all day but got really busy.

I know I have dirt withdrawals, if too much time passes by without me playing in it.

O.K. Katie that last post of yours with the combined chatter about the frogs begs me to tell of this story.

When I moved to New Orleans (as a teenager) which by the way was also the 1st time that I had ever been their.
    I noticed all of the erosion by the houses, I mean bad erosion. The city after all is below sea level. And I asked my husband what was causing the erosion. Low and behold if that man didn't spin me a tale about "tunnel frogs." I promise you he had me believing that for a long time. And don't you think for a second that he told me diferent, oh no. I found out different in school! So believe me your teasing can't be any worse than what I live with! lol He still brings that up, yep all the kids know all about it too. I promise I couldn't be prideful even if I tried with all my heart! lol Yep, I keep a pantry full of humble pie. I tried throwing them all away but they have a way of magically reappearing!

Rena'

• gardenofeden777
    11 years ago

Margo - Here is the kitty I named MiMi due to the M on her head. She is 4 weeks old, she has 3 siblings. I love her so much she is a very loveable kitten! But my husband is allergic to cats so we can't keep her. :-( My son put an ad in the paper for them. You are right it is so easy to become attached to them. My cousin rescued a cat that had kittens 5 weeks ago (6 of them) they are jet black with sky blue eyes. Gorgeous kittens, she was trying to give me one of hers. So many pets in need of homes.

Jeanne - Hopefully your package will arrive tomorrow. And I didn't even spill the beans on its contents! I must be turning over a new leaf! lol

'til tomorrow...

Rena'

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Late today...all this water has internet service down. Today's word is cathead .

• smitties
    11 years ago

Man, I would grab that little darling up in a heartbeat, especially with the M on her head. I don't have one that color either. LOL

My little kitten is adapting well at her new home but I sure do miss her. My cat Tenny sure doesn't. She has been all cuddly since kitten left. She kept her distance although they played a little on occasion but Tenny was not a fan of little one.

I now have 7 Bingo words. Margo

• sjc48
    11 years ago

Good Morning!
    What is going on with the weather? It got down to 40 last night, had to get up and turn on the heat-isn't it kind of early for those temps?

And we are going to get Indian Summer, right?

Margo, yes, we had the thunderstorms all night!

Rena', beautiful little cat! Both Vinnie and Willie have the M on their foreheads. Looks like a great box, too!

I have 6 bingo words!

I got a last minute call to sub for bunco yesterday, talk about ripping and tearing around! Didn't win anything but the desserts were good!

Hope you all have a great day!
    Shirley!

• smitties
    11 years ago

Alana, my biggest apologies. I got your package mailed on Saturday but apparently, they do not check the package kiosk until Monday because that is when they scanned the package. I am extremely upset about this as your plants may not have made it. Please let me know and I will resend. I had thought they had one pick up on Sunday otherwise I would have waited to dig up the plants until Monday.

I see it is going to be delivered today so please let me know. I am sorry again.

Margo

• beth_b_kodiak
    11 years ago

I'm running behind again. I thought being retired gave you lots of time for whatever but it does not work out that way. LOL
    Annie, here is your DC # 0309 3220 0002 0700 9425
    got it mailed yesterday. Both packages are in the box.
    Need to get back here and catch up on reading the posts.

• kchd
    11 years ago

Rena', super cute kitty. Look at those sweet eyes! Btw, I sent you an email about posting links on the forums. Check your spam folder if you didn't get it.

I have 7 bingo words so far, too.

Shirley, it was cool here last night, too. Got down to 48 F. Starting to feel like fall!

Katie

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I will try to post a photo of my super duper apple box from Margo by the weekend. In the meantime, here is what was in it:
    -An apple themed tea towel and oven mitt-very pretty and the timing is great-mine are looking a little sad.
    -8 tiny little containers that I can use for seeds, of course
    -pineapple mint. I did not have it and I love it!
    -Rose Campion Again, I did not have the magenta version
    -to go with the two plants are two spoons that she has beaten flat and then hammered the plant names into. These are fantastic! My chickens can't pull them out and carry them off and they won't fade in the sun. I love these even though they are more proof that I am sadly behind the creative curve.
    -large Apple Gourd Seeds
    -a pocket sized apple fragranced anti bacterial hand gel
    -her left over or slightly used item was a package of plastic clamps to secure plant stems to their supports. She had purchased too many. Great item!
    Thank you very much Margo. I enjoyed every bit of it!
    Alana

• beth_b_kodiak
    11 years ago

Annie sent me a super package. Thanks a a whole big bunch.
    Apple pie spice, perfect as Apple is Jack's favorite pie ( I like ANY kind of pie)
    Jolly Rancher candies with green apple flovor
    Honey Apple butter. Heavenly.Never saw this before but I;ll watch for it now.
    Trident Gum, also green Apple
    Annie also sent a fun and useful assortment of "left overs"
    A dibbler, which I plan to use today to transplant kale.
    Nice plastic, "T" labels
    A cube note pad, we use lots of these. as I suffer from CRS syndrome. LOL
    Jiffy pot pellets, use these too.
    seed envelopes, and a wonderful assortment of seeds.
    pea, sugar daddy
    Rainbow Chard
    curly cress
    Red Orach ( never tried this before)
    red Perilla
    Anaheim Peppers
    Garlic Chives, been wanting to get this too.
    and, a lettuce called azure dandelion. Can't wait to see this one grow.
    fenugreek
    and two of my favotite flowers, Calendula and Chianti sunflower.
    Annie these seeds are very welcome as this spring I took all my seed stash to my daughter's to help her start a first garden. When I came home I left the unplanted ones there for her to do as a fall garden and for winter sowing.
    Annie I thank you . This was a super swap. Love the theme and the goodies you sent.
    Beth

• MoonFire
    11 years ago

Rena I would have believed the tunnel frogs too hahahaha even tho I'm from the south area and know the history of LA flooding and being under sea level...so don't feel too bad ;)

MiMi is adorable...it's one of those things that animal lovers just want to reach out and hold til it usually somehow finds its way home with you...

Everyone is getting such awesome apple boxes...we got some creative and generous folks here on this swap!

• sandlapper_rose
    11 years ago

A big thank you to Rena' - my package arrived today. Rena', you were far too generous, but I accept your kindness and thank you for it.
    Rena' set a soap (or lotion) dispenser in an apple shape, an apple sugar bowl and cream pitcher, an apple picture frame, an apple wooden ornament, a packet of seeds, and 3 clay worms that are water sensors. I hope I got it all listed. It was quite a boxful!
    Anyway, I took a picture so you can see. I love apples so this swap was lots of fun!
    Jeanne

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lovely boxes!
    I got busy this morning and forgot the word for today.
    Allie was here when I got home and she did the honors today.
    The word is legend .

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Last post for me on this thread. Friday's word is Dog Fennel .

I hope to catch everything up on Sunday. I may not have time to post tomorrow.

Have a good weekend,
    Alana

• sjc48
    11 years ago

Good Morning!
    Cool, crisp and sunny here today. Hope the weather holds for the weekend; the granddaughters are coming for a visit!

Beth, Jeanne, and Alana, what great boxes! Love the way everyone is interpreting this theme!

Alana, I'm going to go ahead and start the new thread;
    Everybody, please post on the 2nd thread for this swap!

Have a great day!
    Shirley!