Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandlapper_rose

UPDATE: September - Garden Circle Exchange Ring

sandlapper_rose
17 years ago

The year is flying by - here we are with September. We lost some members during the year but hopefully everyone now is receiving something from her pal each month. If not, let me know!

So, does anyone in the group have a September birthday? I looked briefly and only saw a September birthday for one of the ladies who had to drop out. Don't be shy - if your birthday is in September, let us know!!!

Comments (92)

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sounds like everyone has been receiving great packages this month. We had a whole day of fairly gentle rain yesterday so I know our plants enjoyed it.
    I hope I can remember to say some special words to those who need them. If you have been ailing or dealing with something special and I forgot to mention you, I really am sorry - tried to do my best skimming through what was posted.
    Alicia, best of luck in your new home! I haven't moved to a new place in a long, long time, but years ago I moved from NY to SC (arriving in Aug.) and that was a major temperature shock! LOL I think when I got here it was about 99 degrees and 99% humidity! Glad the pups were good for the trip.
    Marie, so sorry to hear about your daughter's injury. I totally feel sorry for her. You, too, with the injury to your son, Suzanne. Hope they are on the mend and enjoying special attention from friends and family.
    Susie, continued get well wishes to you.
    Sassy, give us details about the wedding!!! I loved the picture of your daughter that you posted from her shower. She is such a pretty girl and I'm sure she was a beautiful bride.
    Well, happy fall, everyone... it will be here before we know it!

{{gwi:1293442}}

• wynative
    17 years ago

Susan ~ I never even thought about the NP wrapper - Great idea. We used the Vet glove last night and it worked well but if we run out of them I will try the other.

Thanks for the tip!
    Marie

• mellen
    17 years ago

Beth, I apologize for not posting last evening. Just found out yesterday after school that our neighbor and dear friend right north of us has leukemia. He's been told he has 4-8 weeks left without treatment so we went and spent the evening with him. Even though he is 80, I think he has decided to go for the chemo. We had many laughs and tears.

Anywho, your box was amazing as usual!!! I was so excited to receive plants. Thank you for the blue angel hosta, daylily snow blizzard, and sweet Kate spiderwort. I have googled them, and they are beautiful. They are all new to me, too. More and different Tastykakes. I LOVE these things, Beth. Addictive, you know??? And the darling bear figurine sitting on a pumpkin along with a caramel apple and pack of cocoa are perfect for getting in the fall mood. The evenings here and especially the mornings are really cooling off. Have been wearing sweats later into the evenings and wearing a jacket to school for the morning chill. It's been in the 50's in the mornings lately. It is my favorite season, though. Thanks also for the peanut M&M's. DH REALLY likes those, too. I like that they are the fight breast cancer ones. There is a breast cancer site that I go to daily before I look at anything else on the computer. You have probably heard of it. You click on the site and every so many clicks provides a free breast exam to a woman in need. For those of you not familiar with the site here is the addy:

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/CTDSites

Many thanks also for the magazines. I find much enjoyment looking through them. DH again thanks you for the gum. ;)))
    Beth, you are the most wonderful pal. Thanks so very much again for your thoughtfulness and generosity. Mary Ellen

• RainbowLake
    17 years ago

Yeah!!! Cool weather and lots of rain. Yipee!!!! It looks like we might be having an early fall here and I am more than ready for it. What a long hot dry summer we have had.

I received a beautiful postcard from West Virginia, covered with wildflower pictures. It was from Debbie, who is on vacation. Are you having fun Debbie? I know that I really enjoyed my vacation to North Carolina. What lovely country. We visited the Biltmore Estate and spent a lot of time in their georgeous gardens. My sweet husband bought me a beautiful bird bath from the gift shop. Then, when I got home my youngest son surprised me with the news that he had proposed to his sweety and they are getting married next July! I really really like this girl so am entirely happy.

Karen

• pastvast
    17 years ago

Kelli (daisy_me): I mailed your package today, it should arrive by end of week.

-Stephanie

• gardeningmomof3
    17 years ago

Marie, I forgot to mention the magnets you sent. They got put on the fridgerator right away, so forgot to put em in the post. Along with the ornament. Knew there was something was forgetting. Anyway, thanks again for the package. Son goes in on Friday for a shorter cast. Hoping its water proof. No showers, been taking a bath instead. Bless his heart, he don't complain. Last time though we did the garbage bag. :) Hope your daughter is doing better.

Faintheart, your package was sent last week priority on Wednesday.

Is only 49 out and windy. Just not ready for these cooler temps. Time to dig out those sweatshirts. Fall is begun, ready or not.

Have a great week.

• sassyd
    17 years ago

Hey everyone! Just wanted to report that the wedding went beautifully and NO rain! lol I'll post some pics as soon as I can, they have me working non stop now to make up for my time off((( as if I wasn't tired enough, whewww

Summer I have your goodies ready and will get them out hopefully today or tommorrow before work. Hope you enjoy sweetie! I think you will:))

• wynative
    17 years ago

Suzanne, I forgot about the magnets! They were so cute I had to buy them. My fridge is so full of beginning of school papers that I thought they may get lost - so you were the lucky recipent.

Megin doesn't go in for a shorter cast till next Tuesday, if all is healing well. I love the idea of a water proof one but as she HAAAASSS :)to have an orange and black one for Halloween that may not work. I'll be sure and ask though. We tried baths but her hair is so long that it doesn't rinse clean - keeping my fingers crossed ~ only 5 to 6 more weeks...

• veeja11
    17 years ago

Deb your box went out today conf # 03061070000251353990. Alicia what are you doin in Illinois? what part? I was born in rockford and hate the winters there. starting the car at below zero to go to work just wasn't fun. went to arizona, then to seattle no freezing weather here. watching amazing race again, I just don'twant the one legged girl to win as she uses her disability to cheat. haven't picked my fav yet tho.Sassy that smokin is bad for your kittys health. hugs to all carol

• abcgirltx
    17 years ago

Wow, how can a week and a half have gone by since I've been here!??

Hope the kiddies with the casts are doing better. I didn't even know you could get casts in orange and black!

Summer, I can't say I was ever crazy about Dallas, which is sad to say about a place you lived 16 years! Gardening is challenging, but you can do it year round which I love. I generally liked the mild winters. It's not very attractive, but there's lots to do and lots of good people. Traffic sucks, lots of good restaurants, and lots of good garden centers. Good luck to you!

Deb, I'm sorry to respond so late to your requests. I am delighted to say I'm living on 5 acres here, it is absolutely beautiful. Lots and lots of room for more plants, bulbs, etc., I can't even begin to make a list. I would be delighted with ANY spring flowering bulbs in any color, for shade or sun. I have greenhouses available as my sweetie grows culinary herbs. So I'll be able to play with almost any seeds.

Carol, I think Rockford is just up the road. I'm in Wauconda. I grew up in northeast Michigan, so I know about long cold winters. I'll let you know how I'm dealing with it in February or March! Thankfully I've got those greenhouses to play with... In the meantime, I'm really enjoying the cool weather.

Marie, I STILL have not got your package in the mail. I will drop it today or tomorrow, and send you herbs later. I was going to mail it yesterday, but we had an incident with the dogs that required a visit to the vet and stitches, so yesterday went to hell in a handbasket, as they say.

Hey, anyone know how to change your GardenWeb name?

Alicia

• Debra Andruska
    17 years ago

Alicia,
    Thanks for the update. I didn't know what to send. I wasn't sure if your landscape was complete, and you didn't need or want anything else. Now that I know, I can prepare a box for you. I'll have it out on Monday.

Carol,
    Thank you so much for your thoughtful boxes! Carol sent- Yummy orchard fruits, I hope I'm reading the daylily right.. "All American" plus, tulip bulbs, cute wooden Halloween wall hanging. Bath set, frog candle, garden gloves, gummybear rat, plastic rat, and an unmarked pod or bulb? Carol, what is it?

Thanks sooo much, Carol!

Deb

• veeja11
    17 years ago

Deb that is a daylily pod with daylily seeds in it a bee cross, but fun to grow. glad you liked your box, I thought the rat was cute, gummy rats are made by jelly belly and quite good. hugs carol

• giverny4me
    17 years ago

Hi Debbie/Oklahoma, your box is going out Monday, will post confirmation number here, Susan/giverny4me

• mellen
    17 years ago

Carol/Veeja, your box is going out tomorrow/Monday. Mary Ellen/Mellen

• RainbowLake
    17 years ago

I am so much enjoying this cooler fall weather. We have even been getting a little rain. I thought I would post a picture of the morning glories blooming in my yard. They are so pretty. They are also attracting a bunch of yellow butterflies which really make for a colorful display.
    What does everyone else have blooming in their gardens?

{{gwi:1293434}}Â Â

• zoegurl2001
    17 years ago

Karen, those morning glories are beautiful!! What are those called? I love morning glories, they are one of my fave.'s. In fact, I was just snapping some photos of my fence yesterday that is covered in self-sown morning glories. They are just plain ole' pink m.g.'s, nothing special. But I still love them. It has really taken over. Here's a couple photos of mine. (That is my neighbor's Okra patch behind it.)

And here's a Heavenly Blue blooming on my other fence.

I am sure enjoying this fall weather, too, Karen! It was quite cold last night, 48 degrees! Brrr! Quite an amazing change from the 100+ temp's. Hope everyone else is enjoying the weather, too. Happy fall everyone!

~Summer

• RainbowLake
    17 years ago

Summer,
    Your morning glories look marvelous. The ones I posted pictures of are Grandpa Otis. A friend heard me talking about them and got me a plant. I will be glad to send you some of them once they go to seed. Anyone else in this robin want some?

Karen

• zoegurl2001
    17 years ago

Karen, I would love some seeds, that would be great! Thank so much for the offer.

By the way, moving is coming along nicely. We've got a house we all like, the owner's have accepted our offer, and closing day is set for October 12th. We had an inspector go in and inspect the house last Friday, and he said nothing is really wrong with the house, just a few minor repairs, nothing to be concerned about. So it passed inspection, and onward we go. There is so much to deal with, and so many people/companies to talk to, PHEW! Who knew there was so much involved in relocating and buying a house. It's exhausting sometimes! But it will be over soon. And we will be happy in our new house/town, I sure hope. Here is a photo of our new house in Rowlett, Texas!

~Summer

• Debra Andruska
    17 years ago

Summer,
    I hope your move goes smoothly! Your house is beautiful! I love brick homes! I made the mistake of putting boston ivy on mine (don't do it, LOL) or you'll be spending so much time trimming the ivy around the windows, doors, etc. Yes, the house looks like a cottage..but I'm so tempted to just rip the ivy off on some days (after hours of trimming)! It turns crimson in the spring/fall (and is really gorgeous). Anyways, it's so nice to hear from you! ;) I missed you.. you didn't sign up for the Halloween swap. Better stop typing, I'm in my 'novel' mode, LOL!

Alicia,
    Your package went out today, USPS #0306 0320 0005 0614 2138. I hope you enjoy your packed box! ;)

Deb

• daisy_me
    17 years ago

Stephanie/pastvast! Your package did arrive (uhhhh, last week, oops.). Thanks for the garlic--I've been wanting to grow some but never get around to picking it up. Stephanie also sent me a package of Allium bulbs (I've been planting more and more alliums every Fall!) and a much needed rain gauge. I picked up a rain gauge for my pal a while back and never got myself one, so it's definitly appreciated!

I am sorry it took me so long to post. If you could see my bathroom right now....hubby decided it was time to remodel and ripped out everything but the tub and is still putting it back together. I did get an almost entirely new bathroom out of the deal though. ;-)

Thanks again Stephanie!

• giverny4me
    17 years ago

I have a confirmation number for Debbie/Oklahoma, 0301 0120 0003 0835 8475 ....its still Monday!!!

Summer, the morning glories are beautiful...are you sketching out what you are going to do in your Rowlett garden yet? p.s. thanks for the pictures of your animals you sent, I will, I must, I CAN post a picture of Otis and the cats soon. I have new technology phobia...

• sassyd
    17 years ago

Summer I know I've already told you but it really is a beautiful home, I know you're so excited! I know I am, hopefully I'll be in my new one by Christmas. Well I finally got your box shipped today, UPS 2day Air, you'll have it on Wednesday. Hope you enjoy dear! I'm off tommorrow, scratch that, today, (I forgot its 1 am) so I'll try to email you if I have a chance, its Julie's birthday (25th) and of course a Red Velvet Cake is in order!(After all that wedding cake, pleeez!) Then we're grilling out. And I thought I was going to get to rest 1 day! Yeah, right:)))

Jeanne haven't heard from you in awhile, hope you're doing ok!

Later girls!

• sassyd
    17 years ago

Sorry Summer forgot to post your conf # 1z6408w10251612085

• gardeningmomof3
    17 years ago

Wynative, Oldest son got his shorter cast on Friday. It is now light green and glow in the dark. Is not waterproofed either. Will have it on till the 13th of October. Hope Megins is heeling well. Maybe she'll want glow in the dark, with black and orange. LOL

Dee, haven't heard from you in a while either. HOpe your doing ok.

• RainbowLake
    17 years ago

Summer,
    What a lovely house. I know you must be excited about your move. I will make a note and send you some of the morning glory seeds as soon as they appear.

Karen

• abcgirltx
    17 years ago

Summer - congrats on your new house! Rowlett is a nice suburb of Dallas, a friend of mine lives out there. Are you near the lake? And one of my favorite nurseries is out there too, so check it out when you have a chance. Covington's is the name, and they have a website too. Interesting gift shop, and their 50% off greenhouses often have some great plants.

Marie - your package went out today, sorry it's so late. The post office here has one of those automated postal machines - except they lock it up when the post office closes so you can't get to it!

Alicia

• wynative
    17 years ago

Susanne - Wow, glow in the dark! Very COOL! Meg got her short one on this morning, just black and orange. I don't think they had any glow or maybe they just didn't say so. I bet he is as excited about the shorter size and and it being so much lighter, Meg sure noticed the difference.

Alicia ~ thanks for letting me know and I'll post here when it arrives.

All the morning glorys are lovely. I have Grandpa Otis and another ~ white w/ purple veins. With this cooler weather they are doing so well. My moon flowers, petuna and marigolds are enjoying it also.

Summer ~ Great house! Good luck with everything.

Marie

• sassyd
    17 years ago

Summer your box is in Tulsa! Woohoo! Look for it tommorrow!:))

• RainbowLake
    17 years ago

Sassy, you do have the neatest signatures. I especially liked the dragonfly jeweled one. But the cat is really great too!

• sassyd
    17 years ago

Thanks dear! I get a kick out of those things!

I received a package from Dee yesterday which included a nice card, some Lilac Datura seeds, seed packets, a copy of Taste of Home magazine, next will be so nice for this weekend, because on Friday I'm off for a weekend at my riverhouse, I call it. Dee sent Spa Essentials scented Candle, which smells so heavenly! Also the body soak and body wash. All of it just smells so soothing, can't wait Dee!

Dee also sent a Modella bag stuffed with a small pack of kleenex, hand sanitizer & lip balm, which is perfect for this time of year.

The best for last!
    Dee sent me a hosta she grew from seed, an open pollenated
    baby of Tokudama Flavacircinalis and named it for me! How awesome! With my very own professionally printed metal plant name tag...

H. Diane's Dreams
    2006 From Dee

Dee thank you so very much, I love it all and my hosta will be treasured forever!

Diane

• wynative
    17 years ago

Want to share my good news!

I have a new Great Niece!

Tomi~Bliss Paige was born this morning at 5:00am. Weighing in at 7pds 5 oz and 19 1/2 inches :) My daughter and I are making plans to go see her this weekend and spoil the other G. Niece & G. Nephew.

Marie

• zoegurl2001
    17 years ago

Congratulations to you Marie!!! That is wonderful news. And what a neat name. Let us know how the meeting goes. How exciting!

Well, I came home to a package waiting for me on the porch! All I have to say is wow, Diane. Another package where your generosity just blew me away. I can't believe all the great things you sent. Being your pal these past two months has really made me so happy. Your packages bring me so much joy, and they seem to come right when I need them, too. I really hope I don't leave anything out here. Let's see, this is what she sent me!

-A pretty dragonfly garden flag
    -Some pumpkin Peeps (Yummy, I love peeps)
    -A beautiful glass gel candle full of different kinds of red flowers. But I can't place the scent, I know it is familiar, though. What is it?
    -A magazine, "Cooking With Paula Deen". Looks like some great holiday recipes are in there, like Pumpkin Pudding, and Cinnamon Ripple Sweet Potato Cake. Mmmmm.
    -Some great fall deco, I love decorating for fall! An adorable ceramic pumpkin container, and three fall leaf dishes. And luckily, the movers have to come next month and pack all the breakables themselves, for liability reasons. So I can leave the breakable stuff out until they come! So I set these up. I love them!

-A really big king frog garden statue. He is beautiful! I can't wait to set him up in my new yard next month! He will look great there.
    -And a statue that I just love. (My mother fell in love with it, too, hehe.) It is bluebirds and a nest, sitting on a pair of old boots. Right up my alley, it is the cutest thing!
    -And last, but certainly not least, a box of Milkbones and a pack of chewy sticks for my furry babies. They will love them, I appreciate you including them so much, that means a lot.

Thank you so much again Diane, you are such a great pal.

~Summer

• zoegurl2001
    17 years ago

Oh, Alicia, yes we are very close to the lake. I really like Rowlett, too, from what I have seen of it. That nursery sounds great! I think I might've seen it when we were there, we drove by a nursery and I commented on it. Don't know what the name was, though. I will definately have to check that one out.

Susan, nope, haven't sketched out anything for my new garden. But I have an idea in my head of where I want to put the things I'm taking with me. I am horrible at sketches, I have tried it, and it didn't work for me, lol. Glad you liked the photos of my babies, hope to hear from ya' again soon, and hope to see some pictures of Otis and the cats sometime, too!

Thank you for the nice comments on the house everyone. We all really like it out there. Deb, it is great to hear from you, too. Sorry I did not sign up for the Halloween swap. We have got so much going on right now, didn't want to get involved in another swap right now! Hope to take them up again after we get moved, though. There is a big house near here that is covered in ivy. I know it must be a big pain, but I think it is kind of neat looking!

Jeanne, I sure hope you are doing okay, haven't seen you post in quite a while. Let us know how you are!

~Summer

• veeja11
    17 years ago

I received a wonderful box from miss Mellen today, 2 kinds of tulips a bag of daffs 2 hostas, 2 potholders and a matching kitchen towel, I love it all hope I didn't miss anything. Thankyou, hugs carol

• zoegurl2001
    17 years ago

Diane, I just realize that the candle has roses in it, and it is rose-scented. DUH. I feel dumb. Nevermind. :/

~Summer

• veeja11
    17 years ago

Sorry Mel, I love my fragarant candles and cutout holder, sorry I missed it, I love anything wolf thankyou lots hugs carol

• Boomer _Lady
    17 years ago

I received a wonderful card & package from Susan/Giverny today.
    Susan sent me a box full of garden magazines which I will enjoy once fall clean up chores are done. Some delicious looking candy that will be eaten while reading the above mentioned magazines. The neatest kitchen towel with a cookie recipe printed on it & a cookie cutter attached to it. Last but not least a bag full of beautiful white daffodil bulbs.

Susan,
    Thanks so much for the wonderful gifts. :)

• Boomer _Lady
    17 years ago

Karen,
    I sent your package yesterday. Sorry I'm so late this month. I had a great vacation but came home exhausted & too lazy to get to the P.O. any sooner. Hope you enjoy it.

• mellen
    17 years ago

Carol, Happy to hear you liked your "stuff." Post office must be on a roll. The last two months your packages have been there in 2 days. ME

• sassyd
    17 years ago

Summer I'm so glad you liked everything. I always stress so badly over that. I guess I have a weird sense of whats cute & funny and whats not. lol Also, I have a 'thing' for frogs, for some reason! lol

For the record, I have your October package ready and waiting. Just let me know if you'd rather me send it before or after the move, either way is fine with me.

• RainbowLake
    17 years ago

I received my package from Debbie, and once again she has outdone herself. Debbie sent a quilted casserole dish cover that she got in the Amish country along with a tinfoil casserole dish and lid. I just love it. It will make it so easy to take a casserole or cake to a potluck. She also sent a can with a magic bean inside that is supposed to tell my fortune after it grows. What a cute idea. I can hardly wait to see if it really works (and what my forture will be) Thank you so much Debbie.

Karen

• faintheart
    17 years ago

Suzanne, Thank you soooooo much for the package of goodies I received. The dragonfly windchime is so cute! The seed baggies are much needed at this time of year. The Fall notepad will be used a lot as I seem to be writing more and notes to myself these days! lol The magnetic picture frame is going on one of my file cabinets at work and I am going to rotate pics of my garden blooms during the dull drab winter months. :) The manicure set and address book/note pad are going in my suitcase...perfect for business travel! The books are super...I seem to be stressing a lot lately and these will be a welcome retreat after a hectic work day. The "water dancers" are sooooo unique and neat! I have them in a dish right now with some of my dahlia blooms floating...so so cute!!! I absolutely love everything and so want to thank you!!!!!

Hugsssssss,
    Dee

• faintheart
    17 years ago

Diane, I am so glad you liked your package. Now that Julie,the beautiful bride and hubby have had their wonderful day to celebrate their love, Mom needs to relax and enjoy! ;)

Hugssssssssssss,
    Dee

• wynative
    17 years ago

Alicia ~ Thanks so much for all the wonderful pamper stuff!
    I recieved Burt's Bee's Strawberry Lip Gloss, Lip Guard and Body Butter. Also in the box was a Garden Journal (this will be great for my Daylilys and Iris!)along with 3 little A B C blocks with an apple, a bird & a cat on top of them for my desk.

Thanks so much and enjoy your weekend!
    Marie

• RainbowLake
    17 years ago

Diane,
    Looks like we have more than the same birthday in common. I also have a child who turns 25 this month. My son, Nicholas, has a birthday today. And of course, we both love gardening. I wonder how much more we have in common?

Karen

• Debra Andruska
    17 years ago

Alicia,
    I hope your box made it. I checked the delivery confirmation info, and it said the package arrived on September 26. I know I had your zipcode wrong! Luckily, the post office noticed it right away.

• sassyd
    17 years ago

Lol, Karen probably alot more than we realize!
    Tell the birthday boy a belated happy one for me!

Well I just got home from the most relaxing weekend at my NC home, and I've gotta tell you its been a long time! I didn't realize just how bad I needed a getaway! Dee, I couldn't tell you if I had to much I loved all the Spa goodies! Wow! I looked like a swiveled up 'old' prune when I got out of that jacuzzi, but felt soooooooo wonderful. That is is best stuff! I had the hardest time deciding if I could stand to leave it there for next time!
    lol Just peaked at "Diane's Dream" looking fine!

Later girls!
    Diane

• RainbowLake
    17 years ago

Diane, you are very lucky to get your own plant named after you. You will have to post a picture once it gets big enough. How exciting.
    I finally broke down and ordered some of the blue toned daylilies I have been drooling over all spring and summer. I sure hope they turn out to look as good as they do in the pictures. Does anyone else in the group have any? I ordered
    "In the Navy" and "Palace Garden Beauty". It usually stays pretty warm here until Christmas, with only a few cold snaps, so they should get a good start from fall planting.
    Do any of the rest of you do much fall planting?

• abcgirltx
    17 years ago

Marie, congratulations on your new grandniece. Did you get to see her this weekend?

Deb, I was out of town most of last week, headed Tuesday back to Dallas for work. Your box arrived Tuesday, so I got to sort through it on my way to the airport. Haven't had a chance to post until now. Thank you for all the wonderful stuff, I'm gonna find places for them today or tomorrow before I head back to Dallas for hopefully my last work trip. I received tulip bulbs, and I hope they ARE red - those will be spectacular! Also purple hyacinth bulbs, daffodil bulbs, and bulbs for bearded iris "Music Maker". These look beautiful, sort of a deep purple-black color. And then some orange tiger lily and purple (or purple and white) iris. Plus seeds for several different flowers. Another great box Deb - thanks for your generosity!

Y'all have a great week!

Alicia

• sassyd
    17 years ago

Sorry I'm late posting this Dee!

Dee sent me 5 daylilies! Whoohoo!!! She also emailed me pics which i'll post later, gotta get ready for work. She sent me....
    Siloam Royal Prince
    Orchid Candy
    Jambalaya
    Harvest Hue
    David Kirshhoff

Good lord I'm glad I didn't have to choose just one! Thanks Dee, they're all planted and snuggled in!

Later girls!
    Sassy

Oh, almost forgot, she also sent nice tall metal plant stakes with the names on them for each plant! What a wonderful box!