Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flowergirl34_gw

NEW: new: Aug.MnF's: Iris, Daylilies & Hosta's Oh My! :) swap

flowergirl34
11 years ago

Happy August Everyone!And welcome to the Make New Friends: Beating the Heat~ Iris, Daylilies and Hosta's OH MY! Swap! :D

This is the perfect time of year for splitting these plants. So this will be a plant only swap.

As always...the rules:

1. Since this is a plant only swap, let make it a good one. This is for named varieties only of Iris, Daylilies and Hosta's. Sorry, no noid's for this swap. Since not everyone grows all of these and not everything you have is available for splitting...you can pick and choose what you would like to send.

2. You must send at least 6 named plants. Please check out your swap partners wish list and lets see if we can fulfill some :). After all that is why we all have them. :) Please send only boxes you yourself would wish to receive.

3. Please use the Med. Flat Rate Priority Box with Delivery Confirmation. You can fit a lot of plants in that box :) Post here when you mail, and when you receive, so we can all enjoy your box with you.

4. Sign-ups are till Sunday, August 12.

Partners will be assigned on Monday, August 13.

Please mail by August 24th.

This is a MNF Swap (Make New Friends). Everyone is WELCOME to join. Newbies, veterans...EVERYONE wanting to make a new friend.

We are keeping it simple in summer...trying to Beat the Heat :)

Come on!! You know you wanna sign up!! :D

vina

ps. will be posting a game on Tuesday, August 7th...wonder what it could be...

Comments (148)

• aquadragonfly
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I knew about Mod Podge for INDOOR use but had NO IDEA they made it for outside! TOO KOOL!!! I wonder how well it holds up? It it last like the indoor stuff does it is a good product!
    I like your Moulin Rouge that would have been neat on a piece of wood or tin to hang outside!
    I need to get some of this exterior Mod Podge think of the projects you could do with it!
    Oh and Melody you did an EXCELLENT job posting those pics!!!

Ok, I caved and went to the store and bought a thing of Moose Tracks! Wish it had been Bunny Tracks, I keep forgetting I don't like Moose Tracks but hey it is chocolate ice cream so it was better then nothing...all this talk of ice cream was just too much for me to handle.

Margo congrats on the two words so far, I only have one...

KIM,,,WHERE ARE YOU???

Ok, I think I am going to bed...I have so much to do and just am not in the mood to do anything lately. Maybe tomorrow (fingers crossed).

Have a wonderful Friday everyone!

:) Agua

• Astroknot
    11 years ago

Agua, that is a GREAT idea to mount a poster onto a piece of wood to hang as a garden decoration! I might not be able to salvage the Moulin Rouge from the bucket but I have some other cool Paris posters. Ooh, so excited! I can use the Mod Podge to seal the whole piece of wood.

Yeah, I don't know how long this stuff will keep everything weatherproof. The bottle says to reapply every few months, so we'll see. A little bit goes a long way.

~ Melody

• gardenofeden777
    11 years ago

I had read up on this quite a while back and the only draw back is that yes it is weather proof but the sun will still bleach/fade out the pic. Especially if it is in full blazing sun. But this info. is just what I read (can't remember exactly where). I've not tried it. I bought all of the stuff to do the Modge Podge but a year (or more- who's counting?) later it still all sits on a shelf. I have all of these ideas but not enough time... My honey says I collect crafts. lol guess I do.

I will tell you of another wonderful craft and that is making Tufa pots. I bought two books on how to make garden pots, fountains and tons of other amazing ideas with quikcrete. But I've not tried those either. One day... lol

And my Mom and her 4 sisters would get together when I was a little girl for ice cream parties also! Wow I never knew that others did the same. lol Yes I have been in a box (sort of) lol. Everyone would make a different flavor. My favorite was always banana. But most of all I have such wonderful memories of it! If we all lived close we could have a gardening party with ice cream and plants! Mouth candy and eye candy! lol The best of both worlds!

Have a wonderful weekend everyone! (I'll be ought of town for the weekend but will check my e-mail on Monday.)

Rena'

• poisondartfrog
    11 years ago

The buckets are great! I don't have time for a project like that now but I am going to file that away in the back of my mind for retrieval later. I have lots of those buckets and always have some tomatoes in them. I could cover them with pages from seed catalogs and they would be less jarring on the eye than that stark white. How fun.
    Alana

• smitties
    11 years ago

Rena', I totally understand the crafting thing. I will see things that look so fun and buy the product and never finish the project. Once in a while I am successful but more often than not, I don't get it done. I have a bench full of scrapbooking and stamping stuff, didn't enjoy that. Have a whole cupboard full of jewelry making items that I very seldom bother to do anymore, it goes on and on. The one thing I do get consistently done is seed saving and swapping :).

Aqua, I also understand how you feel. I sometimes get in a funk and just don't want to do anything and can't explain it. My hubby thinks I am mad at him but I am not, I just don't want to stay in my shell and stay quiet. It passes after a time. With five kids in all stages of life and having difficulties now and then, I think that might have something to do with it. It gets heavy at times but then once I feel better, things are much better.

I can't believe modge podge is still around. I remember my friends mom doing it when I was younger, like in the 70's. It is making its rounds again. Neat.

Hope everyone has a great Friday. Margo

• poisondartfrog
    11 years ago

Vela! I missed your post. I remember your White Elephant Swap. It was one of the most fun swaps I have ever participated in. You have been missed. I am tickled to see you posting and I hope you will join in some swaps soon!
    Alana

• flowergirl34
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Afternoon!

Aqua, I haven't planted yet. So I'd be happy to re-send you back some instead of waiting for me :)

Vela, please stop by anytime. Your a little late for this month but, we'll be doing this again next month. We'd love to have you!

Melody, you have just given me yet another reason to go to Michaels! I NEED to try this. It looks like so much fun. And , I too have the boring white buckets that could use a little personalization :) I've had a couple butterfly calendars I've been holding onto with the most beautiful pictures. Didn't want to throw them away and was wondering just WHAT to do with them?? Now, I know, lol!

Katie, your Sprout is on the way. And wouldn't ya know it, I forgot to a DC#. I can't believe I forgot! I got one for the other swap I'm doing, then, started talking to the mail-lady about all kinds of things. Handed her my other stuff to mail, and walked right out. Got home, and only then remembered. Is this the onset of "old-timers" or should I stop running my mouth :D

PARTNERS for the Plant Group :0) :
    flowergirl34 (vina) ~~sends to~~ poisondartfrog (alana)
    sguanzon (sue) ~~sends to~~ gardenofeden777 (rena)
    poisondartfrog (alana) ~~sends to~~ sinbadsmom (kathie)
    helwhhle (wendy) ~~sends to~~ brittneysgran (shirley)
    illinoisdoglover (marsha) ~~sends to~~ farmergirl2009 (ellie)
    dirtpig ~~sends to~~ flowergirl34 (vina)
    brittneysgran (shirley) ~~sends to~~ illinoisdoglover (marsha)
    farmergirl2009 (ellie) ~~ sends to~~ sguanzon (sue)
    gardenofeden777 (rena) ~~sends to~~ helwhhle (wendy)
    sinbadsmom (kathie) ~~sends to~~ dirtpig

PARTNERS for the Sprout Group :0) :
    poisondartfrog (alana) ~~sends to~~ dan_the_mailman (dan)
    flowergirl34 (vina) ~~sends to~~ kchd (katie)**SENT**
    tess1893 ~~sends to~~ smitties (margo)
    txgardeningmama ~~sends to~~ poisondartfrog (alana)
    aquadragonfly ~~sends to~~ canyonwind (annie)
    kchd (katie) ~~sends to~~ astroknot (melody)
    astroknot (melody) ~~sends to~~ txgardeningmama
    moonfire (dianne) ~~sends to~~ flowergirl34 (vina)**SENT**
    smitties (margo) ~~sends to~~ tess1893
    canyonwind (annie) ~~sends to~~ moonfire (dianne)
    dan_the_mailman (dan) ~~sends to~~ aquadragonfly **SENT**

THE BINGO WORD FOR FRIDAY: KOMODO DRAGON

BINGO Words Drawn:
    1. KENTUCKY BLUE GIRL
    2. GUACAMOLE
    3. GINGERBREAD MAN
    4. DEATH BY CHOCOLATE
    5. FIRE AND ICE
    6. KOMODO DRAGON

Talk to you later!
    vina

• MoonFire
    11 years ago

Vina :) can't remember if I sent you an email with your confirmation # or not...just in case it's 0311 3260 0001 1292 6250 ...sorry i didn't think about it til you mentioned forgetting to get yours...guess we're all gettin slack minded lol

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

Ice cream, hodge podge, and even a komodo dragon. We cover it all, don't we...lol! I like that idea of making hodge podge on wood too, I'll have to possibly try that out during the winter when I'm not playing with my seeds. And speaking of seeds, I just got an e-mail letting me know that Aquas seeds were delivered today, I'm looking forward to seeing what she thinks! I know what you all mean about starting projects and not finishing them. A few years ago I got into basket-weaving and actually finished a few. Then I decided to go for it and make a bushel-sized basket. I have the directions and everything I need to make it, but there it all sits on the shelves behind me, having given up calling my name to get my attention. Someday!
    And that's about it for me tonight. I've got some farmvilling to do, and then I need to make a birthday quilt block tonight so I can send it out tomorrow. I got into the birthday block exchange over in the quilting forum last December, and have been learning a lot!

Talk to you all later!
    Dan

• aquadragonfly
    11 years ago

YES, Dan they arrived!!! Thank you so much, I am impressed I have to say and WOW you out did yourself!

Dan sent me a small box chock full of stuff!
    Jobe's Fertilizer Spikes bonus pack! 50 instead of 25
    Cotton Gloves with the rubber dots, LOVE THESE needed a new pair, how'd you know?
    Seeds:
    Carnival Squash (from my wants!)TYVM!
    Eggplant Black Beauty
    Eggplant Dianta delle uova
    Zucchini Black Beauty (wanted this ty! and NOT on my wants, you scare me Dan!)
    Summer Squash Early Prolific Straightneck
    Tomato Large Red Cherry
    Cucumber Straight 8
    Cucumber Cross Country
    Pepper Jalapeno
    5" Pumpkin
    Sweet Pepper Cubanelle
    Gourd Birdhouse
    Gourd Small Fancy Mix
    Small Summer Ball Pumpkin
    Lemon Melon (not sure what this is)
    Cantaloupe
    Pepperoncini Italian Pepper (a want!)
    Canary Bell Sweet Pepper (a want!)
    Roma Tomato (love this didn't have any for this year so I am set for next season THANK YOU!)
    Big Freaky Tom Pumpkin, haven't heard of this one either!
    Diva Cucumber another one from my want list
    Sugar Daddy Pea, was going to order these
    Garden Bean Contender

Herbs
    Dill Long Island Mammoth
    Lemon Basil
    Dill Fern leaf wanted!
    Parsley Extra Triple Curly

Pink Mimosa Tree seeds had trees on my want list

Flowers
    Lemon Mum Marigold
    Iberis Tahoe
    Jacob's Ladder WOOHOO!
    Bombest Poppy Thank you
    Old Mexico Zinnia
    Hardy Geranium "Albanum" another want~
    Lavender Poppy
    Allium 'Aflatunense'

Wow Dan, you truly outdid yourself really. All I can say is thank you so very much! A lot of these were on my want list and I had told him I didn't think he would have anything from my wants LOL.

:) Aqua

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

Aqua, when you told me you didn't think I'd have any of your wants, all I could do was smile and chuckle to myself...lol! Use what you need, and put the rest in your round robin box if you wish. You've got options! LOL!

You're going to want to plant those lemon melons, believe me! They're a yellow melon, super sweet, and grow to about the size of a personal watermelon. My local grocery store has begun to carry them occasionally, and I can't get enough of them.

As for those gloves, I'm glad you can put them to good use. I've discovered somewhere along the way that there are two types of gardeners, those who use gloves, and those who refuse to do so. I'm one of those who won't use gloves because I like to feel the dirt and plants. If my hands aren't filthy by the time I'm done gardening, I wasn't really enjoying myself...lol. I received those gloves in a former swap and set them aside until now. Something just told me to send them to you.

I'm glad you enjoyed your box, it was a lot of fun putting it together, especially after discovering I had some of your wants, both listed and unlisted...rofl!

Dan

• aquadragonfly
    11 years ago

Dan, I was absolutely amazed when I opened the box then I was flabbergasted when I started going through the seeds. There were a lot I wanted an just haven't gotten around to listing and I though I needed the gloves and was going to get another pair and forgot, I am a don't use gloves gardener too, HOWEVER, I am digging my new beds and some other stuff and I don't enjoy the blisters I got from NOT having gloves on for that job.
    I wore out a couple of pairs because I forget I have them on and start digging with my hands in the dirt and well, that tends to make holes in the fingers lol.
    SO of course the first thing I saw were the gloves and thought wow, needed those, how'd he know? THESE are the exact ones I was looking for because they help me now loose my grip on whatever I have in my hand.
    THEN There were a lot of seeds I wanted in there and some I haven't even gotten around to listing and I though ok, that man has ESP! It was just uncanny!

I have never heard of the Lemon melon but I will most defiantly try it! It sounds delicious. I can't wait for next season! I like trying new melons this one sounds interesting.

I forgot to post I had help opening my box, my little monsters had their mouths, body and paws in there. They were chewing on the box and pulling out seeds. I finally told my BFs son to grab the camera it was too cute not to share. I didn't realize they were so nosy, they had not done anything like it before I got this box. They were ever so helpful.
    The one with the box in her mouth is Ruby, she's little fireball. The black one is Gizmo, he is the one that likes to sleep in my shoe although I think he has gotten too big to do it now, and the other one is getting ready to grab something out of the box is Duchess, she also likes to get in my shoes. She is quite and timid though but she is very sweet.
    You know they are all very spoiled, Ruby is the baby in the bunch she is smaller then the other two and she whines to get her way!

Again, I thank you very much it was an excellent selection I truly was blown away! I am not sure if any of them will end up in my RR box lol.

Hope everyone is having a great Saturday, it is cloudy so I am headed out to plant my new plants before I kill them!

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

Aqua, thanks for sharing that photo, I know what you were going through! Bump and Stella have to inspect everything that comes into the house, whether it's seeds, fabric, or groceries. And of course, if it's in a box or paper bag, they take turns getting into it, no matter if they actually fit or not...lol! Those pups are cute! I'm betting they keep you busy, right?
    Dan

• flowergirl34
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey all!
    Sorry I missed posting yesterday.
    I'll double up and post 2 Bingo words today.
    And, I see the packages are flyin' :)

That package was amazing!! And those puppies are so CUTE!!

poisondartfrog (alana) ~~sends to~~ sinbadsmom (kathie)
    illinoisdoglover (marsha) ~~sends to~~ farmergirl2009 (ellie)
    sinbadsmom (kathie) ~~sends to~~ dirtpig

poisondartfrog (alana) ~~sends to~~ dan_the_mailman (dan)
    moonfire (dianne) ~~sends to~~ flowergirl34 (vina)**SENT**
    canyonwind (annie) ~~sends to~~ moonfire (dianne)
    dan_the_mailman (dan) ~~sends to~~ aquadragonfly **SENT**REC'D**

THE BINGO WORD FOR SATURDAY: WILD HORSES
    THE BINGO WORD FOR SUNDAY: ROOTBEER

BINGO Words Drawn:
    1. KENTUCKY BLUE GIRL
    2. GUACAMOLE
    3. GINGERBREAD MAN
    4. DEATH BY CHOCOLATE
    5. FIRE AND ICE
    6. KOMODO DRAGON
    7. WILD HORSES
    8. ROOTBEER

Have a great afternoon everyone!!
    vina

• poisondartfrog
    11 years ago

I just got both of my boxes ready for the mailman to pick up in the morning.
    My sprout package going to Dan is DC 9405503699300110795741.
    Kathie's named Daylily/Hosta/Iris box is DC 9405503699300110782536.

I cleaned house Friday and threw away my bingo list. Vina can you send my email back to me? If not, no problem. That's what I get for cleaning.
    Alana

• smitties
    11 years ago

I did it today. I ran my first 5k and actually didn't do too bad. It was a Color Me Rad run for Leukemia and as you ran through certain stations in the run, they would throw food coloring/cornstarch powder on you or spray it mixed with water. I was so worried that the stuff would stain my face and I would go to work at the gift shop tomorrow with it all over my face that I would avoid the stuff as much as possible. I am attaching a photo I hope goes through. It washed off the kids just fine so plan to do another one that I can get into better next time.

I am almost done gathering seeds for my swap so will be pulling it all together by deadline. Will also be spending the last few days with our youngest who will be going off to college on Thursday. :(

Margo

• smitties
    11 years ago

The finish line.

• Astroknot
    11 years ago

Margo, you have a great looking family! That marathon looked like a lot of fun. And check out that crazy pink cloud! It looks like a cotton candy machine exploded, or something. Haha!

Aqua -- puppies! Soooo cute.

Wow, you guys are so quick with your trades. I'm still working on mine. I haven't yet gotten a response from Txgardeningmama but I will send another email to her today. I already have her address, but I still wanted to get in touch with her before I mailed a package.

4 bingo words so far.

~ Melody

• canyonwind
    11 years ago

Diane (Moonfire),

Your sprouts went out this morning....

DC# 0312 0090 0001 5685 7775

Margo, now that was a great day with some of your family yesterday...FUN and for a wonderful cause!!

Happy Monday!

Annie

• illinoisdoglover
    11 years ago

Ellie (farmergirl2009: Your package is on its way with some extras. Enjoy ! Will email you with tracking number

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

Margo, that looks like a lot of fun!

Alana, that's funny about your list, it reminds me of something that happened when I was in high school. I had written a paper for one of my classes and left it in one of the many stacks on my desk. To me, everything was organized and I knew where it all was. To my mother, it looked like a mess, so she finally had enough of looking at it and went and cleaned it up one day while I was at school. Of course, the paper I'd typed up went into the trash, and I had to do it all over again. After that, my mother never cleaned my room again, she just told me to keep the door shut so she didn't have to see the "mess" whenever she walked by...lol! I hope you find your list!

Dan

• sinbadsmom
    11 years ago

Hi all, just wanted to let dirpig know I sent her box out today. Left the p.o.receipt in the truck I will email the tracking number later. Kathie

• flowergirl34
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey everyone!

Dianne, I received your awesome bubblie today. I'll have more time to list everything in it later. It was such surprise...and wonderful! THANK YOU! :D

Alana, sending you your bingo list right now. Please let me know if you don't receive and I'll retry.

Margo, Congratulations, on your race. And your family is beautiful. Very colorful, lol! What an amazing cloud! You can barely see people inside it!

Melody, 4 Bingo words! That's great! Anyone close to 4?

poisondartfrog (alana) ~~sends to~~ sinbadsmom (kathie)**SENT**
    illinoisdoglover (marsha) ~~sends to~~ farmergirl2009 (ellie)**SENT**
    sinbadsmom (kathie) ~~sends to~~ dirtpig **SENT**

poisondartfrog (alana) ~~sends to~~ dan_the_mailman (dan)**SENT**
    moonfire (dianne) ~~sends to~~ flowergirl34 (vina)**SENT**REC'D**
    canyonwind (annie) ~~sends to~~ moonfire (dianne)**SENT**

THE BINGO WORD FOR MONDAY: YABBA DABBA DOO

BINGO Words Drawn:
    1. KENTUCKY BLUE GIRL
    2. GUACAMOLE
    3. GINGERBREAD MAN
    4. DEATH BY CHOCOLATE
    5. FIRE AND ICE
    6. KOMODO DRAGON
    7. WILD HORSES
    8. ROOTBEER
    9. YABBA DABBA DOO

Talk to you later!
    vina

• aquadragonfly
    11 years ago

Margo, I am sure ya'll had a lot of fun! I saw that cloud of pink and all I could think was how choked up I'd be LOL.
    It did however look very colorful.

The puppies are both adorable and a handful. Thanks for all the wonderful comments about them!

Hey Kathie, sorry I haven't replied to your email, I have been busy and not took the time. I do apologize.
    Kim is busy with her business, I haven't talked to her in almost two weeks now.

Dan your teenage room sounds like my corner I have all my seed stuff in, although you DID say you knew were everything was with your "mess" I have a general idea of where it is, but not exactly always. I have my baggies for seeds, envies, scissors, note pads and such all there and then my stuff I need to mail things in...yes, it looks a bit untidy BUT I know where it all is when I need it LOL.

Annie, I am shooting for Wednesday to mail your 'sprouts' I have an appointment tomorrow and will try to pack your envy when I get back home.

Hope everyone had a wonderful weekend.

• MoonFire
    11 years ago

:) Thanks Annie...i'll be keeping my eyes open for it in the mail :)

Aqua...lol @ those puppies...mine does the same but he's so big even tho he's only about a year and half old he weighed 80 pounds like 4 months ago lol...he's a Newfoundland...and yes a housedog which makes much work for me but he's still my big baby lol

I'm bombing out big time on the bingo...I've only got 1 word ! 8')

• MoonFire
    11 years ago

Oh and Vina I'm glad you got your bubbly today :) ... I tried to match up with some things close to your want list but I didn't have the exact things you wanted...so hope I didn't send seeds you already had!! ...Hope they grow well for you, Enjoy, Dianne

• canyonwind
    11 years ago

Miss Vina...HAPPY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! ENJOY!!!!

Annie

• kchd
    11 years ago

HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY, VINA!

Ooooo, I received an amazing package of seeds from Vina yesterday. Wow, Vina, I L-O-V-E what you picked out to send me! I received:
    Yarrow, Pink Grapefruit
    Yarrow, Terra Cotta
    Asclepias incarnata, Cinderella
    Daisy Crazy
    Rudbeckia, Indian Summer
    Hibiscus, Rose Mallow
    Gaillardia Fiesta Daisy
    Coreopsis, Jethro Tull
    Clasping coneflower
    Red burnet
    Yellow pear tomato

I am super duper excited about planting these come winter/spring! My dear husband bought me a 10x10 greenhouse for my birthday last month. Oh, he has no idea what kind of [gardening] monster lies dormant...

Melody, I have all your seeds picked out and dried. Now I just need to package them up. Will post a DC when it gets mailed.

Still trying to keep my head above water at work... Still have pics to post about the crazy Wisconsin field work. Oy vay! I'm ready for some R&R. Maybe in November....

Katie

• poisondartfrog
    11 years ago

Happy Birthday Vina!!
    My PC has been acting up. I think I have banished the blue screen of death for now, but if I don't post for a bit, that is why.
    I received my list, Vina, and I have 4 cultivars on the Bingo list. Thanks!
    Tired out. Night folks.
    Alana

• aquadragonfly
    11 years ago

Happy Happy Birthday, Vina!

• Astroknot
    11 years ago

Happy Birthday Vina! Two days after mine. Yay August birthdays!

:) Hope you had a great day!

~ Melody

• gardenofeden777
    11 years ago

Happy Birthday Vina!!!!! Hope it was the best ever!!!!!

I have 3 bingo words.

Rena'

• flowergirl34
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Morning!

Had a terrific B-Day yesterday. Worked out in the garden most of the day. And hubby surprised us with a special dinner last night. SUPER DAY! :)

Thanks for all the well-wishes! :)

I'm sorry I didn't post a BINGO yesterday. So today you'll get a twofer.

THE BINGO WORD FOR TUESDAY: FIRST FROST
    THE BINGO WORD FOR WEDNESDAY: LION KING

BINGO Words Drawn:
    1. KENTUCKY BLUE GIRL
    2. GUACAMOLE
    3. GINGERBREAD MAN
    4. DEATH BY CHOCOLATE
    5. FIRE AND ICE
    6. KOMODO DRAGON
    7. WILD HORSES
    8. ROOTBEER
    9. YABBA DABBA DOO
    10. FIRST FROST
    11. LION KING

Katie, so glad yours arrived. I tried to mix it up a little :) Hopefully I filled some of your wants.

AND, in my package from Dianne was:
    ~ Gaillardia
    ~ Red Hollyhock: from her garden
    ~ Hibiscus: Dinnerplate
    ~ Lupine: Purple
    ~ Columbine: Double and Single: Mixed
    ~ Pink Downy Phlox
    ~ March Hibiscus: Double Pink
    ~ Poppies
    ~ Poppies: Red-Pink
    ~ 4 O'clocks: Fuschia
    ~ Cosmos: Sensation Picotee
    ~ Hibiscus: Militaris: Pink Native
    ~ Columbine

THANK YOU SO MUCH DIANNE!! Such a lovely assortment! :D

poisondartfrog (alana) ~~sends to~~ sinbadsmom (kathie)**SENT**
    illinoisdoglover (marsha) ~~sends to~~ farmergirl2009 (ellie)**SENT**

flowergirl34 (vina) ~~sends to~~ kchd (katie)**SENT**REC'D**

Have a super Wednesday!
    vina

• MoonFire
    11 years ago

You're very welcome Vina and glad you like them :)

LoL I only have 1 bingo word still hahahaha

• kchd
    11 years ago

Melody -
    HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY Belated Birthday, to you, too!
    I have your seeds packed up and ready to go. I think you will really like the mix I picked out for you. There are some oddities in there :)

Whoohoo, I have 5 Bingo words!

Katie

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

I just went to usps.com and put in that dc# Alana posted, my package from her should be here tomorrow! Yippee!!! That'll be a lot of fun to open!!!

• elliesfun
    11 years ago

Yipee...Christmas came early. Received box from Marsha this afternoon. Oh thank you so very much Marsha. In the box was the following:
    2) Hosta's - Sieboldiana Elegans
    1) Hosta Green Gold
    2) Hosta's Francee
    2) Hosta's Gold Edger
    2) Siloam Ethel Smith daylilies
    2) Iris's Puddy Tat and
    12 Tete-a-Tee daffodiles
    Sue's box will go out tomorrow. Have a little bit more digging to do. Thanks so very much for a wonderful box of goodies. Aren't gardners wonderful!

Ellie

• smitties
    11 years ago

My package went out today but I need to figure out where I put the DC number which I suspect is in my purse. I will be honest, I am not feeling like getting up right now. :) I will post it later.

My daughter is feeling better and has an appointment later this month with her gyno. Poor thing, someone hit her car while it was parked where she works. The kid has no license and no insurance. The police filled the report and then once the kid left the parking lot, he was arrested. Then she and her husband came home to a flooded apartment after the pipe to the water heater in the apartment above them burst. No one lives there so it went undetected for hours. A lot of water on the floor but fortunately no damage. Hubby and I helped them put stuff where it was dry so the guy could clean up the water. We then treated them to dinner out.

Tomorrow we take our youngest off to college. I am in need of some serious down time.

Margo

• dirtpig
    11 years ago

Happy Belated Birthday Vina :-)

I only have 3 Bingo words.Funny I didn't think it would be so hard to get a word.

Vina your package will go out tomorrow morning.Sorry for the make shift box.Hope it's not to much of a pain to open with all the tape I had to use.:-)I forgot a to put in a note.I was so busy with all that taping.

Wow Ellie nice box of plants :-)
    Everyone is getting nice seed packs too.

Well night all,happy gardening.

• sinbadsmom
    11 years ago

Morning all! Got my box yesterday from Alana, great selecton of plants!
    Daylilies
    Bacon ballerina
    Dads Best White, don't have a white one!!!
    Exotic Treasure
    Hillbilly Heart
    Iris
    Buffer Zone
    Zurich
    Siva Siva
    Hosta
    Minuteman
    Thanks so much Alana these will get into the ground today! Kathie

• flowergirl34
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Good morning! Happy Thursday! :)

Ellie, that sounds like a terrific box! YES, gardeners are WONDERFUL :D

Wow! Margo, your poor daughter! That is some bad juju going on! Wishing her the best for her dr's appt. All the rest of it can be replaced.

Okay, I need to look up Bacon Ballerina, LOL! What a play on words that one is. I LOVE IT! ROFL!!! Is anyone else picturing a pig in a tutu? :D

Alana, I'm getting your box tog. today. :) HOPEFULLY, I'll be mailing it out this afternoon. Cross your fingers...I've been trying to work on it all week.

THE BINGO WORD FOR THURSDAY: DEMI-DEUIL

BINGO Words Drawn:
    1. KENTUCKY BLUE GIRL
    2. GUACAMOLE
    3. GINGERBREAD MAN
    4. DEATH BY CHOCOLATE
    5. FIRE AND ICE
    6. KOMODO DRAGON
    7. WILD HORSES
    8. ROOTBEER
    9. YABBA DABBA DOO
    10. FIRST FROST
    11. LION KING
    12. DEMI-DEUIL

This bingo is still anyone's game. Its so close. Gotta LOVE bingo! :)

poisondartfrog (alana) ~~sends to~~ sinbadsmom (kathie)**SENT**REC'D**
    illinoisdoglover (marsha) ~~sends to~~ farmergirl2009 (ellie)**SENT**REC'D**
    dirtpig ~~sends to~~ flowergirl34 (vina)**SENT**

smitties (margo) ~~sends to~~ tess1893**SENT**

Beautiful day today! Upper 80's but a nice breeze! Stay cool everyone. :)

Talk to you later!
    vina

• flowergirl34
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Afternoon!

Alana, your box is in the mail :) DC# 0311 3260 0002 3604 2311 Hope you enjoy!!!!

Have a great night everyone!
    vina

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

Oh man, did I ever have reason to be excited, or what? You be the judge. If you've ever received a package from Alana, you know that you're in for a treat when she sends you something. If you haven't received one from her yet, pray that you will, and soon! I joined the sprouts group because I didn't think any plants could make it to me safely, but Alana proved me wrong...lol! In her words "I think you need a daylily in your garden so I sent one!" Alana sent an exotic treasure daylily, and she's right, I needed it! It arrived safe and sound, and is now getting a good soaking in the kitchen, where it will stay until I plant it this weekend.
    Alana also sent seeds galore. She knows what I like in my garden, stuff that's pretty, simple to take care of, and durable. Here's what she sent:
    coleus (love this plant!)
    cleome (enjoy this one too, and it easily reseeds itself)
    yummy mummy marigold (someone remembered that halloween is my favorite holiday!)
    baby bottle gourds (love me some gourds!)
    morning glories: wedding bells, apricot candy, & sunbeam spoked (fantastic color combination)
    something un-named (I like mystery plants!)
    dark red poppies (papaver) (these look great!)
    white pearl lathyrus (sweet pea) (I love sweet peas)
    zinnias: orange king and cherry profusia (oranges and wine reds...wow!)
    ornamental hedgehog cucumbers (very unusual looking, I like!)
    Ceratotheca triloba (South African foxglove) (kewl! can't wait to grow these!)
    crimson red flowering tobacco (more purdiness! loving it!)
    Emilia javanica - Irish Poet (appeals to the writer in me, and extremely easy on the eyes... they just pop!)
    Nigella Miss Jekyll White (I like these!)
    Queeny Yellow Hollyhocks (awesome!)

Alana, as usual, you sent a wonderful, wonderful, wonderful package, and I thank you for it from the bottom of my wheelbarrow...lol! You've sent flowers I want for my garden, as well as new ones to try and even something of a mystery, which anyone who knows me knows I enjoy! I've never heard of the the queeny hollyhocks, but I'm so glad you sent some along! I just gave away all my hollyhocks because they were too tall for my perennial mound, which I'm hoping to totally convert to flowers no more than 2-foot tall. As I was looking up these seeds I kept picturing them either in my perennial mound amongst the coneflowers, or in my stone circle beneath my maple tree. And that daylily? That'll be the new star of the show in what I lovingly call my chaotic corner! Once again you've outdone yourself, and I am thankful to be the happy, happy, happy recipient! (((HUGAS)))

Dan

• dirtpig
    11 years ago

It's raining DAYLILIES here :-)
    Kathie (sinbadsmom)sent me a box full of daylilies.
    Mildred Mithchell
    Mystical Rainbow (love the name)
    Elegant Candy
    Pretty Fancy
    Tuscawalli Sugar and Spice.Kathie do you have a picture,I can't find one.
    June Wine
    Naughty Nancy..couldn't fine a picture of this one either.
    Thank you,thank you.I love daylilies,but then you doesn't?
    LOL
    Doing my happy dance :-)

• kchd
    11 years ago

Melody,
    I just realized today that I don't have your address, or at least I can't find it in our emails. I'm ready to mail your package as soon as I get it!
    Katie

• poisondartfrog
    11 years ago

Kathie and Dan,
    I'm glad you enjoyed your packages. Vina, I am excited to know mine is on the way!
    Tomorrow is Friday. I think that calls for a celebration, too.
    Alana

• smitties
    11 years ago

Well, my son is safely tucked away at the University of Cincinnati about to start his first year of college. He is the last of five to fly the coop. This is going to be weird after 30 years of children coming and going.

I did receive my package today and I will post the contents later. I will say it was full of seeds.

Oh and by the way, I have seven of the Bingo words. :)

Margo

• kchd
    11 years ago

Hi everyone,
    Well, I am double posting this in 2 forums - I hope nobody minds. As promised, here I am posting about what in the world I've been doing all summer while traveling to & fro Wisconsin. As some of you already know, I work with fish-eating birds: cormorants, pelicans, herons, egrets, gulls, wood storks, etc. My husband and I have been working in Wisconsin for the past 3 years, but we also regularly work in Mississippi, Alabama, Arkansas, Michigan, Ontario, and a few other places. Yes, we are a husband + wife team, working together out of the same office. Many people are surprised that we work together, but it is great. We make a fantastic team, and are often at our best under challenging field conditions. Great minds think alike, and being dear friends & in love sure helps too. (ok, enough with the mushy stuff).

So now for a few photos from the vegetation surveys we did this month.
    Background: We are working on remote islands in Lake Michigan, around the Door Co. Peninsula area. All the islands have nesting double-crested cormorants and herring gulls. Some also have nesting Am. white pelicans and Canada geese. Back in April, we put up some 6 ft x 6 ft pens (we call them exclosures) to exclude the cormorants because they damage vegetation with their nesting activities (too much POOP!). So then we went back in August to catalog everything that grew in the pens, by plant species, and weighed it to also determine biomass. That meant breaking out the field guides, studying up on botany and the flora of Wisconsin, and bringing the plant presses for species we couldn't identify on the island. We compareed the exclosure plots to some "control" plots, which had nothing but 4 wooden stakes at the corners. We had 45 plots to do on 3 islands, plus another 3 islands down by the city of Green Bay that we did simple vegetation surveys on (no pens). It was alot of work, but very interesting.

The bottom line: there are lots of nonnative species on those islands, like motherwort, catnip, pigweed, common mallow, stinging nettle and sow thistle. The native vegetation was primarily lambsquarter and smartweed species.

Almost done clipping this 1-meter plot:

Looking for small plants beneath the lambsquarter

The finished, sampled 1-meter subplot

Who would even know what this was?!?! I saved seeds to winter sow and see if I can't figure it out.

The very last veg plot to measure. You can tell, because we look so happy!

A friend found crawling across the plant press

The stinging nettle I hacked through to make us a nice trail to get to the center of the island. At least its not poison ivy!

Ok, that's all for now. Have a great evening.
    Katie
    (heh - I've been working on this post for days!)

• kchd
    11 years ago

Melody's sprouts package is on its way!
    DC # 0308 1400 0001 5410 3321

Katie

• flowergirl34
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Good morning everyone!!

LOL! Dan, everyone DOES need a daylily! And, now that you have one, you won't be able to stop! Soon, you'll need another...and another...and ANOTHER! Remember, it always starts with one, lol.

Dirt~ that is an awesome box! I looked up Mildred Mitchell and that is gorgeous! I may need to order that one! So pretty!!

Margo, WOW! the last one off to college. Congratulations!
    And SUPER 7 Bingo words! COOL!

Katie, let me say it again, YOUR JOB IS SO COOL!! Those pictures are amazing. Thanks for sharing them with us :)

THE BINGO WORD FOR FRIDAY: BLUE CADET

BINGO Words Drawn:
    1. KENTUCKY BLUE GIRL
    2. GUACAMOLE
    3. GINGERBREAD MAN
    4. DEATH BY CHOCOLATE
    5. FIRE AND ICE
    6. KOMODO DRAGON
    7. WILD HORSES
    8. ROOTBEER
    9. YABBA DABBA DOO
    10. FIRST FROST
    11. LION KING
    12. DEMI-DEUIL
    13. BLUE CADET

flowergirl34 (vina) ~~sends to~~ poisondartfrog (alana)**SENT**
    poisondartfrog (alana) ~~sends to~~ sinbadsmom (kathie)**SENT**REC'D**
    illinoisdoglover (marsha) ~~sends to~~ farmergirl2009 (ellie)**SENT**REC'D**
    dirtpig ~~sends to~~ flowergirl34 (vina)**SENT**
    sinbadsmom (kathie) ~~sends to~~ dirtpig **SENT**REC'D**

poisondartfrog (alana) ~~sends to~~ dan_the_mailman (dan)**SENT**REC'D**
    smitties (margo) ~~sends to~~ tess1893**SENT**

Has everyone been in contact with their swappers?

Happy Friday!! Going into the 90's here today. I'm splitting strawberry plants. I can't believe a couple years ago I started with 5, now I have almost 100. YES! about 100! They are growing right over the raised bed side and into my asparagus bed. My neighbor said she would love some. I hope she knows what she's getting into, lol.

Talk to you later!
    vina