Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum

o
NEW: new: Aug.MnF's: Iris, Daylilies & Hosta's Oh My! :) swap

Posted by flowergirl34 5 Upstate NY (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 1, 12 at 10:44

Happy August Everyone!And welcome to the Make New Friends: Beating the Heat~ Iris, Daylilies and Hosta's OH MY! Swap! :D

This is the perfect time of year for splitting these plants. So this will be a plant only swap.

As always...the rules:
1. Since this is a plant only swap, let make it a good one. This is for named varieties only of Iris, Daylilies and Hosta's. Sorry, no noid's for this swap. Since not everyone grows all of these and not everything you have is available for splitting...you can pick and choose what you would like to send.

2. You must send at least 6 named plants. Please check out your swap partners wish list and lets see if we can fulfill some :). After all that is why we all have them. :) Please send only boxes you yourself would wish to receive.

3. Please use the Med. Flat Rate Priority Box with Delivery Confirmation. You can fit a lot of plants in that box :) Post here when you mail, and when you receive, so we can all enjoy your box with you.

4. Sign-ups are till Sunday, August 12.
Partners will be assigned on Monday, August 13.
Please mail by August 24th.

This is a MNF Swap (Make New Friends). Everyone is WELCOME to join. Newbies, veterans...EVERYONE wanting to make a new friend.

We are keeping it simple in summer...trying to Beat the Heat :)

Come on!! You know you wanna sign up!! :D
vina

ps. will be posting a game on Tuesday, August 7th...wonder what it could be...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: NEW: new: Aug.MnF's: Iris, Daylilies & Hosta's Oh My! :) swa

Ooh Ooh Ooh I would love to join this group and I have named daylilies to send and maybe hosta and iris too. So glad to make new friends although I have been on GW for a long long time, belonging to other groups,

Sue G

o

I'll join.
Thanks for posting this one Vina!
Alana

o

I will have to watch this from the side lines. Don't have much in the line of Id's for these. Actually don't have much in any other these either. Will enjoy reading posts though.

Margo

o

Good morning everyone!

Welcome Sue and Alana!!

Margo, stick around you can still play the games I'm going to be posting :) We'd love to have you join us.

Signed up for some August OH MY'S :0) :
flowergirl34 (vina)
sguanzon (sue)
poisondartfrog (alana)

Taking a good look out in the garden today to see what I'll be splitting. I know I have Daylilies that need to be split. Iris' too. Not too sure about Hosta's? But I believe I could fill a box with the first two, lol.

Try to stay cool everyone. In the 90's here today. And you guys in middle of country are even hotter. Be safe.

Talk to you later.
vina

o

I'm not sure about Hosta's either, but I have the other two.
Looking forward to it,
Alana

o

I just traded with you Vina, and would love to sign up. How often do you do this?

o

Margo, I'm standing next to you on this one. The only ID I give my flowers after they've joined the 3-ring circus I call my yard is "pretty"...lol! I've got iris, hostas, and lilies, but none of them have names anymore. That's okay though, with the heat we've been having, I'd be nervous about sending plants.

Vina, would you mind if we NOIDs organize another seed swap amongst ourselves? Since you're asking the plant people (why do I feel like I'm talking about pod people right now?) to trade 6 plants, we "seedlings" could trade 6 types of seeds. Just a thought to throw out there...

-Dan

o

• Posted by kchd 7b Mississippi (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 2, 12 at 19:55

Dan, I'm in the same boat as you & Margo. I'm definitely a "noid" LOL. All I have are some "ditch daylilies" and some noid irises, which are probably some type of heirlooms planted here back when this place was homesteaded. So I'm sitting this one out, too.

Speaking of those day lilies, they are blooming for the 2nd time this year, right now! Weird!

Katie

o

hi i would like to join!! I have alot of white siberian iris's I could split and share

o

Hi, Vina
I'd like to join and share my named daylilies.
Add my name to your list.
Happy to be in group.
Thanks
Wendy

o

Well HELLO Miss KIM!!!(txgardeningmama)
Ya'll I know her, she my friend we talks a lot LOL....

Very fun lady!

Vina honey, I am checking to see if I can join this month. I do not know as of right now if I can or not. All I have are hostas though and I am not really into irises.
Looks like it is going to be a slow group this month.

:) Aqua

o

Dan, great minds think alike although yours is a better thinker than mine. I was going to suggest a no id swap on the plants but you are definitely right about the heat around here. It just won't quit. I would be game for a seed swap for those of us with no id's. We will see what Vina thinks.

Margo

o

Afternoon everyone!
Wow! We are off to a great start :)

Welcome Marsha and Wendy!

Dan, the more the merrier is what I always say! I'll try to keep them separated best I can. :)

Kim (tx-) which swap would you like to be in?

Katie, would you like to join too? :)

Okay, so this swap is bending and changing...hopefully like the weather, lol!
We will have 2 categories:

1. The Plant Group: This group will still be splitting and shipping named plants only. No noid's. Using the Rules as set above. The Plant Group will only swap with the Plant Group.

2. The Sprout Group: This group will be swapping seeds. Please at least 6 packages. Send only what you would wish to receive. NOIDS' and named are all welcome. The Sprout Group will only swap with the Sprout Group.

The deadlines will for sign-ups and sending will still be the same for each group. We are Making New Friends, so please send only what you yourself would wish to receive.

Whoowee, you'll have me on my toes for this month. :0)

Signed up for the Plant Group :0) :
flowergirl34 (vina)
sguanzon (sue)
poisondartfrog (alana)
helwhhle (wendy)
illinoisdoglover (marsha)

Signed up for the Sprout Group :0) :
danthemailman (dan)
smitties (margo)

This is going to a FUN one!
Check your name and make sure I have you in the proper spot.
And if you like, Sprouts you can join Plants, and Plants you can join Sprouts. Just remember, you'll have different swap partners for each section.

Hopefully this is clearer than lumpy mashed potatoes...
Have a super Friday!
vina

o
RE: Aqua...

Aqua so sorry I missed your post! Would you like to join?

o

I would like to play in the Plant Group.
Most of my plants are older names,hope no minds.

Dirtpig

o

Vina, if you'd like, I can help you keep the two groups separated, sort of like a teacher's aide...lol! I also like it that you've decided that people can play in both groups if they wish. Instead of a slow month, I think you just turned it into one of the crazier ones...lol! Just let me know if you need help keeping the groups straightened out, I've got a whip I can use on the unruly players... CRACK!!!

-Dan
(sent from Padded Room #13)

o

Fri, Aug 3, 12 at 15:08

Oooo, at the risk of getting smacked back in line by Mailman Dan, I'd like to ask for a little clarification before I commit. Are the "seedling-ers" trading any/all kinds of seeds? Or only seeds of iris, daylilies, hostas, oh my?

I don't want to get stretched too thin this month. It will be busy busy with travel for the next 2 weeks!

Katie

o

Two parties in one apartment...I think I can handle it. Put me in both swaps.
Alana

o

Vina-I would like to join the plant group.

Hi Dirtpig...long time since our daylily group disbanded. Glad to see your post.

Shirley

o

I am thinking about joining the plant group but I need to get out and see just how many daylilies that still have tags next to them. My puppy a couple of years ago removed so many tags. Darn him...but he is so so cute. Hoping tomorrow I can go out and take a look. As for iris and hostas I know I don't have those that are named. I don't have any iris's anyway. For some reason they die. Don't know if they get too much water or they winter kill or what. So I haven't bought any in the past 10 years or so.
But I love the smell when they are in bloom.

I will let you know by Sunday what I decide. Thanks.

Ellie

o

May I ask a question please? in the plant group is it 6 different named plants? or can it be 6 named plants of the same kind?

o

Morning everyone!

Dan,Thanks so much but I think I've got it, but please double check me, lol!

WELCOME!!! WELCOME!!! dirtpig and your older named plants. I know I just love the older ones :)

WELCOME!! WELCOME!! Shirley!!

Katie, the Sprout group is trading any and all kinds of seeds. Coneflowers, daisies, maybe daylilies...whatever your heart desires :). But, you must send at least 6 packs.

Alana, doubling up TERRIFIC!...I think I'm going to do that too!

Terrific Ellie! We'd love to have you :) Maybe someone will send you some iris to try again. I know I haven't been able to keep a peony on the place in almost 15 years, but I kept trying. Who would think peonies were so tough to grow. Mine would always die. I would see people mowing them down after they bloomed and they would come right back. I baby mine and ...death. That is until last year...WOOHOO! I was given a Karl Rosenfield peony and a noid pink one. And they both bloomed this last spring! I have no idea what I did differently. They are in different locations and they seem to like it better. Try, try again is what I always say :)

flowergirl34 (vina)
sguanzon (sue)
poisondartfrog (alana)
helwhhle (wendy)
dirtpig
brittneysgran (shirley)

danthemailman (dan)
smitties (margo)
poisondartfrog (alana)
flowergirl34 (vina)

OH MY! Reading Ellie's post reminded me of what happened yesterday. I rec'd a GW box full of lovely plants and was wandering around looking where to put them in the garden. Had dinner on the grill. Beautiful afternoon...then I look down to the pond...and in the middle is a BIG BLACK DOG! He was bouncing and chasing frogs and fish. Standing in my water lily flowerpots. And basically causing doggy chaos. I run down and am yelling "get out, get out". He looks at me comes running out right to me...yes! WET DOG! At this point I can see he's still a puppy...a 60 pound puppy! Starts shaking all over everything...including ME! Then the kids see him and start running down saying, "can we keep him PLEASE!!!" In their excitement they leave my backdoor OPEN. Doesn't that dog run right into my HOUSE! I'm running back up to the house. Kids are yelling (they are so happy!), cats are scrambling for cover, and wet, drippy dog is running in my house.

I grab Mr. Wet and Drippy, and thankfully I still have one of Noah's old dog leashes. So me, smelling of wet dog, the kids, now smelling of wet dog...and the wet dog himself are all parading up the road trying to find out where he lives. People up the road say he belongs to the people who live next to them...no one is home! So we put him in this make-shift kennel thing they have and go home. Isn't he crying the whole time till we are out of ear shot for him to come with us. LORD!

OH! and dinner was still on the grill. Or what was left of dinner. We had sandwiches. And did I mention I had a board meeting 1 hour after all this had happened...What a night! I'm putting the kids to bed last night and my Billy, he's 4 now, asks if the doggy can come and play tomorrow too. "He was fun mommy!"

Have a great Saturday!
vina, who finally doesn't smell like wet dog :)

o
RE: NEW Tx-... :0)

Hi tx-! It can be 6 named plants. Be it, hosta's, daylilies or iris. You can send 6 different types of daylilies or 6 different types of hostas. You need to fill a med. flat rate box, so 6 different types of iris probably wouldn't do that, unless you send a few of each one.

I think a lot of people will be mixing it up,sending a couple of each, and you can too, if that's what you choose.

Only rules, use a med. flat rate box, named varieties only, and send only what you would like to receive.

I hope this helps.
vina

o

Vina, I loved your story!!! You had me laughing so much I almost fell out of my chair! So tell us, have you set up a play date for the dog with the kids yet? I'm still giggling...

My offer to help still stands, and I'll be more than glad to look over those lists as they grow. I've already started a written list to keep myself straightened out. I sorta had to, my mind seems to hit an oil slick occasionally and skids in twenty directions at once, and I just hang on for the ride. Ever have one of those days?

Since you mentioned dogs, here's one about my younger sister. Lisa has two registered german shephards named Gaelon and Bee. Gaelon is about 3 years old, and HUGE! When they all were visiting in early June, his shoulders came to about two inches above the kitchen table. Bee isn't quite a year old yet, but she's got the attitude of a 17-year old girl, everything has to be done her way when and where she wants it...lol! Lisa is planning to move from Minnesota back here to Michigan the last part of September, and would like to start a kennel. Well, on a routine trip with Bee to the vet, lo and behold, Lisa found out that Bee and Gaelon have gotten a headstart on establishing that kennel, and the pups are due sometime around Halloween! It should be quite a mixed bunch too, Gaelon is a shorthair, and Bee is a longhaired shephard. It's going to be a lot of fun helping to get the pups socialized!

o

Oh I want in on this one, I love lilies! Never done this before, so just tell me what I'm supposed to do. Vie only been on here a couple of weeks. Thanks y'all.

o

I would definitely love to be in the seed swap, cause I'm not sure how many "named" varieties I still have. Like my irises they are really old, cause of our soil the comeback in different colors every year and sometime look different from the year before. I've found no real explanation for this. I've a few named Lilly varieties. I'm excited about this!

o

Ok count me in...touring the garden yesterday and have lots of daylilies with tags still placed by them. But I would rather receive iris/hostas in return since I am going to start digging the extra daylilies out this fall.
Been in the 90's and reaching for 100 today. Question though...isn't it too hot to be digging up plants to mail?

Ellie

o

Ellie,
I'm going to mail my plants towards the end of the time allowed in hopes of better temperatures, but I just completed a massive Iris/Daylily trade in 100+ degree heat and both ways the plants were fine. I think shorter times in transit and packaging help, but I'm going to hold out just in case we get some moderation.
We are supposed to have rain tonight. Yippee skippee!

o

I would like to join the sprouts robin please

o

Hey Vina, I am not sure how many hostas I have I haven't went an counted yet. I was so excited when I saw it was possibly for hosta so I wanted to join BUT it looks like everyone else has Irises and Daylilies an I kind was hoping for hostas...I am not really big on irises though there are a lot I think are pretty they just don't last that long, same with daylilies, I DO like the ones that re-bloom though.

BUT I defiantly will do the sprouts side of the swap. I can always do seeds :D.

OH I WANT A GERMAN SHEPHERD PUPPY!!!! I love them, her male is really nice and the coloring on Bee is gorgeous! I have chihuahua puppies at the moment they are such a handful but oh so sweet when they are not terrorizing each other....I pull my gardening shoes off on the front porch they love to play with them, we have pine trees across the way an I picked up some pine cones to use as fire starters there were some really small ones in there, they like to play with those too. Well they have decided they like to put the two together so I have found either a whole pine cone in the shoe or pieces where they tore them apart and put piece by piece in my shoe! Not a fun thing to find the first time it happened, stuck my foot in the shoe and OMG SOMETHING IS IN HERE...lol. Guess they thought it would be funny too.

o

LOL Aqua thats to funny living on a farm lol I have learned to check my shoes before putting them on due to the fact my mater picking kittykat loves to hide the maters where ever he can lol

o

Happy Sunday!

LOL! Dan, no, no playdate yet. But, the kids would LOVE one! For all his bumbling, he really is a cute dog. And those pups of your sisters are beautiful! You going to be a great uncle :) CONGRATS!

WELCOME!! Tess-, I'm going to put you in the Sprout Group since you mentioned the seeds. If that isn't right just let me know :) Do you want to be in the Plant Group too? And just read the rules at the top and you'll be just fine.

WELCOME!! Ellie!! So glad to have you. And as far as shipping I just rec'd some daylilies from an order I placed and they showed up when it was 100 degrees out. They were fine. Hosta's, iris and daylilies are super tough. In fact, my iris order for the year will probably be mailed right around the mail time for our swap. They'll be fine too. :)

WELCOME!! Tx! So glad to have you! :) My kittens used to hide in my shoes too. Now, they are both around 18-20 pounds, lol!

WELCOME! Aqua! That picture is too cute. What a cute puppy booty :)

flowergirl34 (vina)
sguanzon (sue)
poisondartfrog (alana)
helwhhle (wendy)
dirtpig
brittneysgran (shirley)
farmergirl2009 (ellie)

danthemailman (dan)
smitties (margo)
poisondartfrog (alana)
flowergirl34 (vina)
tess1893
txgardeningmama
aquadragonfly

I hope everyone is having a great Sunday. So humid here, but, we are suppose to have rain! Like Alana, I say YIPPEE SKIPPEE :D My daylily order came in and I have them all potted up. And the reason...I have NO CLUE where I'm going to put them. I may need an intervention? Maybe after my iris order comes in :)

Have a great day!
vina

o

OK well, SHOOT ME, I went to a store an well they had 2 daylilies on sale and oh course I had to pick up the 2 available sooooo you KNOW where I am headed!!!

Vina, the booty shot was because he was sleeping in my shoe, I have a pic where his half sister was in the other one but I couldn't find it so I just posted him. I love this pic, it was funny that day he was in there, I was looking EVERYWHERE for him, calling him an starting to panic because we have hawks that frequent over head and grabbed one of my chihuahuas one summer, SHE would have been supper if she hadn't SCREAMED when it grabbed her that scared it so bad he dropped her. SO when I couldn't find the puppy I was starting to worry, I came in the house thinking he might have sneaked in when the door was open. I went out the backdoor and walked around the house, when I came back out the front door to announce I couldn't find him the family was sitting out there and pointed to my shoe, I couldn't see him because well he is mostly BLACK and you know the inside of the shoe is too so all I saw WAS the shoe (panic mode, you know) I was like yeah, it's my shoe, I CAN'T FIND THE PUPPY! They all said L-O-O-K IN, the shoe! I got closer so I could SEE IN the shoe and was like OHHH, I NEED my camera, ran in grabbed it and took two pics before he woke up and started backing out lol...
YEAP, I'm a DORKAZOID!

o

Sun, Aug 5, 12 at 16:37

Ok, count me in for the Sprouts group. I should be able to handle that!

Katie

o

I am sorry all but I am going to need to remove my name from the sprouts list. I would love to do this but I have had an issue come up that may leave me with little time. My daughter, the one who just married, has been having some issues with her health for the last few months. After being tested for many things, they finally did a ct scan and she has a ovarian cyst. She will have more testing Tuesday to determine what needs to be done. You can imagine my fears with this whole situation so until I know more, I need to leave my time open for helping her out. On top of this, I am sending a daughter off to college in a week and a half and the youngest of our five will be leaving for his first year of college on the 23rd. Empty nest syndrome is coming. I apologize for this but feel it is of the best interest for me to not do a swap this month.

Margo

o

Oh Margo, I'm so sorry to hear about your daughter's health. :( That is really scary. I don't know anything about cysts, but I hope you guys receive good news. In addition to your son and daughter going away to college, wow! You have a lot on your plate. I wish you the very best luck getting through this tough time, and if you need any kind of support from us here at MNF don't hesitate to let us know, okay?

~ Melody

o

Margo-So sorry to hear the news about your daughter. Praying everything will turn out OK. I received your e-mail so don't worry about hosting Augusts OBF swap, I will come up with something. I remember the empty nest syndrome so well. 28 flower beds later is what resulted from my syndrome. The key is to stay busy and boy am I busy. LOL

Vina-Someone should write a book about funny pet stories (they may already have). Pets are always getting into one thing or another.

Dan-Beautiful Shepherds...I bet the puppies will be darling.

Shirley

o

Count me in for the Sprouts group. I'm not growing any irises or hostas, unfortunately, and my few daylilies aren't ready to be divided yet (so small!).

I'm also forcing myself to NOT buy any new plants, I've been on a plant binge lately and I probably need an intervention!

o

Hi, I think that I would like to join as well. I have been trying to make a new friend(s). I have tons of named Iris & Daylilies but way more Iris. I would like to trade mostly Iris and receive mostly Daylilies. Also do we post here what we have available to trade? Very excited!

Hi again Sue G.!

Love all the funny stories!

Thanks,
Rena'

o

Good morning! Hope everyone is having a great Monday.

Aqua, cute story! I had a cat get picked up by a hawk! Lifted him about 10 feet off the ground right out of the yard. He turned and scratched at the hawk and it dropped him. He fell, and was so cut up with puncture holes. Poor thing! The vet said he looked like a pincushion. But, he lived to a ripe old age of 14 :)

WELCOME!! Katie!! :)

Oh! Margo!! I am so sorry to hear about your daughter! Please keep us posted on how she is doing. She will be in all our thoughts and prayers :) And your youngest going off to college too. You do have a lot going on! Wishing you all the best...and please, keep us posted :)

LOL! Shirley, Gardening is a therapy for all of us in some way. Funny pet stories would make a good book! I did read "Chicken Soup for the Pet Lovers Soul" once. That has very pretty pet stories in it. Not so much funny, but they were beautiful. Okay, I admit it, I did cry from some of them.

WELCOME!! Melody!! HHHMMMMM...NOT buying plants. Maybe I should try that sometime :)

WELCOME!! Rena'!! You don't need to post your wants and haves here. All you need is to have you member page updated. When we have partners, your partner should check out your page :) I know I really need to check my page, it absolutely needs some updating, lol.

flowergirl34 (vina)
sguanzon (sue)
poisondartfrog (alana)
helwhhle (wendy)
dirtpig
brittneysgran (shirley)
farmergirl2009 (ellie)
gardenofeden777 (rena)

danthemailman (dan)
smitties (margo)
poisondartfrog (alana)
flowergirl34 (vina)
tess1893
txgardeningmama
aquadragonfly
kchd (katie)
astroknot (melody)

We had a deluge come down last night. It was awesome! Broke our 90-100 weather. Today's high is 85. I'll take that! Plants are happy and a nice breeze is blowing...looks like I'll be outside ALL day. Maybe, I can figure out where to put the plants I already have. :)

Who knows, maybe I need to add a new bed. :)
vina

o
re: new: update

Hey all! Forgot to update the list.

Here we go :0)

flowergirl34 (vina)
sguanzon (sue)
poisondartfrog (alana)
helwhhle (wendy)
dirtpig
brittneysgran (shirley)
farmergirl2009 (ellie)
gardenofeden777 (rena)

danthemailman (dan)
poisondartfrog (alana)
flowergirl34 (vina)
tess1893
txgardeningmama
aquadragonfly
kchd (katie)
astroknot (melody)

Happy Monday!
vina

o

Morning everyone!

Does anyone know how to update your trade page without using the link at the bottom of the exchange page? The link isn't there anymore? I was wondering if there was another way to get to it?

My poor page hasn't been updated in almost a year...
Please help :)
vina

o

Go to the very bottom of any page and click on Member Pages.

o

Vina, I posted the link you need for you. Hope it works, it should.

I went plant shopping yesterday, I think I did pretty well.

I got a Navajo Purple Butterfly Bush, Heuchera Stormy Seas, 3 different Bee Balms, 2 different Rosemarys plants, 2 Different Oregano plants and a Lemon Thyme and I only spent 22.50!
I was looking at those herbs, they were priced at $3.49 each but they were pot bound with the roots entangled around the bottom of the pots, I was thinking I am NOT giving that much for those and they might not live because they are so pot bound. I decided to ask the man that owns the place if he would mark them down and he said 'Sure, how much would you want to give?' I said '$2.00' he whispered, 'That's too MUCH, I will take $1.50.' I said 'Well, OKAY!'
He whispered it to me because there was another lady in there trying to get him to mark down a BUNCH of stuff, he wouldn't, come to find out she comes in there a lot an tries to talk him down on almost everything she wants.

I had walked around the whole place looking at everything and a good bit was already marked down but the Heuchera wasn't it was $4.00 for a SMALL pot. So I was getting ready to leave and started talking to him about them he said if you want one I will let you get it for $2.00, needless to say I left a happy camper!

Ok, I have work to do, better get off here. It is rainy outside an we have an 80% chance of rain all day so I am going to work inside and then start some perennial seeds!

Happy Gardening all!

Here is a link that might be useful: Here Vina hope this helps

o

Hi Vina, okay I would like to join this swap also. I mainly have daylilies, have some hosta but not named. Not really an iris person so if someone is looking for Iris back I must tell you now I don't have them!! Kathie

o

If it's not too late I'd love to join the sprouts or seeds group :) Let me know if I'm in on time so I can start gathering up some special seeds :)

o

Vina, I need to pull out of the swap. I'd stay if I could, but I just don't see how at the moment. My apologies...
Dan

o

O.K. Vina I started updating my plant exchange page and will finish it by tomorrow night 8/8/12.

Rena'

o

Happy Wednesday!

THANKS Alana and Aqua! I've been updating my page with that link for years, and now that its gone, I had no idea what to do. Not exactly a technical person, to say the least, lol! If my blue ray player could flash 12:00 it still would be :)

WELCOME!! Kathie!! Daylilies are perfect! I don't know anyone who'd turn down a daylily, lol! :)

WELCOME!! Moonfire! No, your not too late. Let the gathering begin :)

Dan, I'm so sorry your not swapping. But, please stop back in and play some games with us later. I'll be posting it this afternoon. :)

flowergirl34 (vina)
sguanzon (sue)
poisondartfrog (alana)
helwhhle (wendy)
dirtpig
brittneysgran (shirley)
farmergirl2009 (ellie)
gardenofeden777 (rena)
sinbadsmom (kathie)

poisondartfrog (alana)
flowergirl34 (vina)
tess1893
txgardeningmama
aquadragonfly
kchd (katie)
astroknot (melody)
moonfire

I'll be posting a game later today....wonder what it could be :D
vina

ps. In case their are any iris junkies, like myself, on here Shirley let me know that Snow Peaks iris is having their $3 end of season sale...www.snowpeakiris.com Going to check it out right now.

o
re: new: game time game time game time

GAME TIME GAME TIME GAME TIME :D

Welcome to Iris, Hosta and Daylily BINGO!!!!
All these names are the names of Iris', Hosta's or Daylilies :D

Here are the rules:
Please pick 12 of the 35 words listed. Don't post your list here, but, email me a copy of it.
Everyday one of my helpers (Taylor and Billy) will draw 1 word till someone get BINGO :)

Everyone will have till Saturday, August 11 to email me their lists. We will draw the first word on Sunday, August 12.

Iris~Daylily~Hosts BINGO Word List:

1. Tremors
2. A Moose Fishing On A Pond On Wednesday
3. Witch's Wand
4. Colonel Muster
5. Fire and Ice
6. Blue Mouse Ears
7. Demi-Deuil
8. Blue Kentucky Girl
9. Guacamole
10.Death By Chocolate
11.White Eyes Pink Dragon
12.Firestorm
13.Huckleberry Fudge
14.Chevalier D'Malte
15.Green Dolphin Street
16.Alligator Shoes
17.Prairie Moon
18.First Frost
19.Prom Night
20.Fires of Fuji
21.Wild Horses
22.Rainbow Rim
23.Super Purple
24.Versailles
25.Blue Cadet
26.Jurassic Park
27.Gingerbread Man
28.Pride of Ireland
29.Yabba Dabba Doo
30.Thornbird
31.Komodo Dragon
32.Rootbeer
33.Cascade Splendor
34.Lion King
35.Venita Faye

Oh! And I almost forgot the winner of BINGO WINS, a single fan of the Daylily Firestorm from my garden :) These are one of my favorites!

Have a great day!!
vina

o

Well everyone, things look to be fine so I would like to join the sprouts group. My daughter had her ultrasound and they say there is nothing. Not sure what they saw on the CT but she is so frustrated. She is still so bloated, people ask if she is pregnant. She is going for a second opinion but for now, there is nothing I can do for her. Thanks for all the prayers.

Thanks Margo

o

Margo, I am glad they didn't find anything there. Hopefully it is nothing major and she will find out what is going on soon, in the meantime if she isn't doing this already tell her to start drinking a lot of water. Even better would be nothing to drink but water for about two weeks, this would flush out her system. Might make her feel better.

o

Good morning everyone!!

Margo, I'm so glad to hear the good news!!! That is terrific!!! Now, maybe they can figure out why she's so bloated? Is it painful? Glad to have you back on the Sprouts :D

I have rec'd Bingo Lists from:
Aqua~
Tx~
Dirtpig

Everyone has till Saturday to get them in to me.

And if your looking for something fun try looking some of these names up. The pics may help feed your addiction, lol!!
When I saw DL: White Eyes Pink Dragon OOOHHHHH! and SD Iris: Death By Chocolate AAAHHHHHH! I really need to stop looking up new plants, HA.

flowergirl34 (vina)
sguanzon (sue)
poisondartfrog (alana)
helwhhle (wendy)
dirtpig
brittneysgran (shirley)
farmergirl2009 (ellie)
gardenofeden777 (rena)
sinbadsmom (kathie)

poisondartfrog (alana)
flowergirl34 (vina)
tess1893
txgardeningmama
aquadragonfly
kchd (katie)
astroknot (melody)
moonfire
smitties (margo)

If we have any lurkers you have till Sunday to sign up. :) This is going to be good one...You know you wanna join...

Talk to you later!
vina

o

Sent you my list, Vina. It started out that I was going to pick from names of plants I have, but I soon ran out. I'm pretty sure that means I don't have enough Daylily and Iris cultivars and I need more.
Alana

o

Thu, Aug 9, 12 at 23:17

Ok, I got my bingo list emailed off to Vina.

It's been long 14-hr days in the field for me this week, doing veg surveys of herbaceous plants on islands in Door Co., Wisconsin. Seen lots of wildflowers, but lots of weeds, too (non-natives, some invasive). It has been tricky to id some of them! Been making use of plant presses for later verification. I think we've pressed 17 specimens so far. I can tell you that my least favorite plant so far is stinging nettle. It was so thick on one island, I had to bushwhack my way through 6-ft tall nettle! Favorite plant so far... hmmm, maybe jewelweed (Impatiens capensis). Jewelweed just so happens to be an effective treatment for stinging nettle!
This afternoon brought in terrible weather until Saturday, so tomorrow we get the day off. Yay! We've been at it since Sunday.

o

Good morning!!

So far I've rec'd Bingo lists from:

Aqua~
Tx~
Dirtpig
Alana
Katie

Still a little more time left to get your words in...

Alana, I think that's what it means for me as well. Snow Peak iris (www.snowpeakiris.com) is having their $3 iris sale. Shirley, brittneysgran, filled me in on what's on sale. Here's the list, in case you find something you can't live without...I love being an enabler :D

balance of the medians
rosalie loving
sailboat bay
sari's dance
sir benjamin dover
snitch
softly
spell
starwoman
stroke of brillance
summoned spirit
sunbreak
sweethearts again
tessie the tease
tickety boo
tremors
twiggy
ulimate
wizard of hope
zap
zero
Now for the Tall Bearded
abdul unknown
afternoon in rio
american maid
angel wings
anvil of darkness
anything goes
ask a lady
athens
augustine
awesome alex
belguim princess
bev's babe
blue rising
bold look
boutique fashion
bridal party
bridal party
broad shoulders
broken pattern
bruce
brussels
cameo appearance
cause for pause
celebration song
change of mill
change of pace
chard and ice
childhood wish
chill factor
chinese new year
chinook arch
chinook wind
cimaroon trail
clear morning sky
code red
coffee malt
color express
compassionate
country kisses
crash course
daughter of stars
delicate image
deliously fiffernt
diamond ring
diddler
doodads
double ringer
dragon heart
elizabethan age
endo f summer
falcon pride
fancy lover
florentine silk
full figured
fundamental
garden bride
gentleman jim
gentlewoman
gilt edged bond
gladiatrix'
grand circle
grand cyn gold
grape harvest
grenade
high master
hollywood nights
hunter pink
ididit
imagery
imprimus
juke box hero
leaps and bounds
lets romp
lightning streak
lights camera action
magherlin
masterwork
oasis candy stripe
october sky
play a tune
purple reprise
ring around rosie
robin of loxiety
royal birth
royal vestments
ruby haze
samaii warrior
sambuca
slapstick
slovak prince
society lady
spring social
temple spirit
zekie
ziggy

Katie, your job sounds so fascinating, besides the stinging nettle, lol. Please keep us posted on how your doing.

flowergirl34 (vina)
sguanzon (sue)
poisondartfrog (alana)
helwhhle (wendy)
dirtpig
brittneysgran (shirley)
farmergirl2009 (ellie)
gardenofeden777 (rena)
sinbadsmom (kathie)

poisondartfrog (alana)
flowergirl34 (vina)
tess1893
txgardeningmama
aquadragonfly
kchd (katie)
astroknot (melody)
moonfire
smitties (margo)

Had a terrific night last night! Rained for about 4 hours. Hard rain with thunder boomers. Loved it! Pond is filled right up. Working on a new bed today...what a wonderful Friday!

Have a super day!!
vina

o

Vina,

The SPROUT (seeds)Group works for me!! Count me in!

I will email my BINGO words to you.

Thanks much!

Annie

o

Sign me up for this.
Faye!

o

Bingo words were just sent off.

Cold and rainy here today but with the rain really needed, I am not complaining. I would liked to have done some gardening but instead of that, my youngest son and I went to get him some new jeans for college. I had to wear jeans and jacket. This should get the ground nice for weeding so hopefully that is how I can spend my Sunday since I work 10-6 at the gift shop tomorrow. It is going to be a long day since I am by myself all day.

Hope everyone has a good weekend. Margo

o

Vina, just emailed you my bingo list. :)

Margo, so glad to hear about the negative test results. But that is very frustrating to still not know the cause of your daughter's health problems. Hope you get some answers soon.

Had my first major plant casualty (minus the gophers eating every single plant in the front). Woke up this morning to discover one of my tomatoes had fallen clear off the back porch, 14 feet to the hard concrete below. Poor thing! As windy as my porch is, that's really the first time anything has been blown off. I wonder if I need to stabilize the tall pots more? I guess the tomato cage made it more susceptible to being blown around. Typical wind speed is around 28 mph these days.

First hummingbird sighting on the porch this week! So excited. They really love that crocosmia.

Ah, $3 iris sale? I better stay away, because I know that if I take a look I will end up buying the whole lot!

~ Melody

o

Happy Saturday!

WELCOME!! Annie!

WELCOME!! Faye! Are you a Plant or a Sprout :D...or both?

Margo, I'm still waiting for jeans weather. Have a great day at work. It will go faster than you think :)

Melody, I've been to the site 3 times. I think last night I've finally caved. Today I'm ordering. When your thinking about an iris at 10:30 at night, while watching a movie, your officially hooked,lol! :)
So sorry to hear about your tomato! All that hard work splatted. My MIL has tomatoes growing in flowerpots on her deck and she uses zip ties, and zips the edges of the flower pots.

So far I've rec'd Bingo lists from:

Aqua~
Tx~
Dirtpig
Alana
Katie
Annie
Margo
Melody

This is going to be a fun game! :) You have till the end of today to get your words to me. Tomorrow, the first word will be called...LET THE GAMES BEGIN :D

flowergirl34 (vina)
sguanzon (sue)
poisondartfrog (alana)
helwhhle (wendy)
dirtpig
brittneysgran (shirley)
farmergirl2009 (ellie)
gardenofeden777 (rena)
sinbadsmom (kathie)

poisondartfrog (alana)
flowergirl34 (vina)
tess1893
txgardeningmama
aquadragonfly
kchd (katie)
astroknot (melody)
moonfire
smitties (margo)
canyonwind (annie)

Never got a chance to start my new bed yesterday. Started working on an older bed, then decided to make it bigger. That took almost all day, but I finished it. And, I had a large rectangular pot filled with a sedum I had rec'd 2 years ago at the fairs plant swap. It started with a little baby and had completely filled that pot, which was about 1 foot by 2.5feet! A LOT of sedum. So I took the whole post and split that and put that in a bed under a large tree down by the pond. In spring I have daff's there, early summer daisies. Once those are trimmed back it looks kind of empty. I think the bright green sedum gives it a little pick me up :)

Starting early this morning, and getting to work on the new bed. :) Wish me luck!

If we have any lurkers out there, you have till tomorrow to sign up. :)

Have a great day!!
vina

o

Hi Vina & thank you for the warm welcome! Sending my bingo list. Thank you very much for the fun game!

Margo praying your daughter gets better soon and that the
Dr.s receive insight on what's wrong with her.

Rena'

o

Vina, would you please put me back into the Sprouts? It's gonna be a couple of days of demolition, plumbing, and construction hereabouts, and I need something to get me out into the gardens, and collecting seeds to share with someone would be just the ticket! With that and everything else that's going on, it'll be good to receive a nice surprise in the mail, and even better to put together a surprise for someone!

Dan

o
go ahead, make my day

o

Morning everyone!!

LOL! Dan, that kitty is on a mission!! First thing I saw when I got on here. Still laughing :D We'd love to have you come back. You know you couldn't stay away!
What room are you remodeling? It sounds like A LOT of work going on.

flowergirl34 (vina)
sguanzon (sue)
poisondartfrog (alana)
helwhhle (wendy)
dirtpig
brittneysgran (shirley)
farmergirl2009 (ellie)
gardenofeden777 (rena)
sinbadsmom (kathie)

poisondartfrog (alana)
flowergirl34 (vina)
tess1893
txgardeningmama
aquadragonfly
kchd (katie)
astroknot (melody)
moonfire (dianne)
smitties (margo)
canyonwind (annie)
dan_the_mailman (dan)

GAME TIME GAME TIME GAME TIME GAME TIME~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The bingo game is officially closed for sending me words.

Signed up for BINGO :)
Aqua~
Tx~
Dirtpig
Alana
Katie
Annie
Margo
Melody
Rena
Dianne

If I've missed anyone's name PLEASE let me know.

Okay...Drum roll please... And the FIRST Bingo word drawn is: KENTUCKY BLUE GIRL

BINGO Words Drawn:
1. KENTUCKY BLUE GIRL

Have a super day!
vina

o

Yay, I'm in! I'm gonna enjoy getting outside this afternoon and collecting seeds!
I'm working in the bathroom. The pipe for the showerhead is leaking when it's on, so I've got to get into the wall behind it to fix it. Of course, that's where the bathroom storage is, and I've got to remove it before I can fix the leak. The plumbing job will be only about 5 minutes, if that. Taking out the cabinet and replacing it? That could take two days, go figure. Keep your fingers crossed for me, will you? Stella is "advising", and Bump is "acting inspector". I've already begun to take out the cabinet and they are both on the job...lol!
Talk to you later, it's time for breakfast, and then some more demolition...
Dan

o

I am sooooooo going to be taking a couple of vicadin in the next few minutes! The shower no longer leaks (only took 5 hours and a cat rescue, Bump decided to take a walk BEHIND the tub!) and there are new, modular cabinets installed in the bathroom. Instead of having to take a crowbar to it all next time, I'll only need to remove the front of the cabinet area and slide out some cabinets. Thankfully, my roomie built the cabinets while I was involved with the shower, otherwise I'd have another 3 hours of construction to go.
So, what's on the agenda for the rest of the evening? A nice long shower after some vicadin, a bit of farmville, and some rest & relaxation. I am by no means a plumber or handyman, but we got it done by sheer determination!

o

Glad you are all fixed up now Dan, now that it is out of the way think of all the relaxing you have ahead of you after your sore muscles feel better!
Guess Bump really is your inspector, he inspected more then he needed too lol. Hopefully you got his paw of approval!

o

It's partner day! Yayyyyyyy! But, where's the partner list??? I mean, I know it's 1:13am, but, that's not too early, is it?? Vina, how much longer are we going to have to wait?

LOL!

o

Afternoon everyone!

Dan, your long wait is finally over :D

PARTNERS~~PARTNERS~~PARTNERS~~

PARTNERS for the Plant Group :0) :
flowergirl34 (vina) ~~sends to~~ poisondartfrog (alana)
sguanzon (sue) ~~sends to~~ gardenofeden777 (rena)
poisondartfrog (alana) ~~sends to~~ sinbadsmom (kathie)
helwhhle (wendy) ~~sends to~~ brittneysgran (shirley)
illinoisdoglover (marsha) ~~sends to~~ farmergirl2009 (ellie)
dirtpig ~~sends to~~ flowergirl34 (vina)
brittneysgran (shirley) ~~sends to~~ illinoisdoglover (marsha)
farmergirl2009 (ellie) ~~ sends to~~ sguanzon (sue)
gardenofeden777 (rena) ~~sends to~~ helwhhle (wendy)
sinbadsmom (kathie) ~~sends to~~ dirtpig

PARTNERS for the Sprout Group :0) :
poisondartfrog (alana) ~~sends to~~ dan_the_mailman (dan)
flowergirl34 (vina) ~~sends to~~ kchd (katie)
tess1893 ~~sends to~~ smitties (margo)
txgardeningmama ~~sends to~~ poisondartfrog (alana)
aquadragonfly ~~sends to~~ canyonwind (annie)
kchd (katie) ~~sends to~~ astroknot (melody)
astroknot (melody) ~~sends to~~ txgardeningmama
moonfire (dianne) ~~sends to~~ flowergirl34 (vina)
smitties (margo) ~~sends to~~ tess1893
canyonwind (annie) ~~sends to~~ moonfire (dianne)
dan_the_mailman (dan) ~~sends to~~ aquadragonfly

Everyone please contact your partner(s) for addy exchanging :)

THE BINGO WORD FOR MONDAY IS: GUACAMOLE

BINGO Words Drawn:
1. KENTUCKY BLUE GIRL
2. GUACAMOLE

Have a super Monday! :)
vina

o

Oh wow! It's the partner lists!!! Yayyyyyyyyy!!! Aqua, I'm e-mailing you for your addie now.
Dan

o

canyonwind (annie) ---OH my stars, I just looked at your want list, this is going to be a toughy.....I will try my best to send you something you like.

I will send you an email for your address :)

Thanks for the partners Vina :D

o

canyonwind (annie) ---OH my stars, I just looked at your want list, this is going to be a toughy.....I will try my best to send you something you like.

I will send you an email for your address :)

Thanks for the partners Vina :D

o

Dan the Mailman's machine gun kitty -- I need one of those for the gophers!

Crows have moved in to the Eucalyptus grove above my house, again. Wow, those are big birds! Kind of alarming to see them up close.

Managed to save a few green tomatoes from the plant that fell off the porch the other day, fried them up with some corn meal. Yummy!

Does anyone have a good homemade ice cream recipe? It's prime fruit harvest at the farmer's market and I figure now's the time to make good use of it.

~ Melody

o

I have been in contact with my swap partner as I send to her and she sends to me.

Melody, no idea on a recipe but I will watch to see if someone posts something. I have an ice cream maker that my mother gave me about five years ago and I have not even opened it. I can't say why, I just haven't used it. I think it is because I would do all the work and everyone would eat it all. Not worth it. LOL

Our youngest daughter went back to college today. She is moving into her apartment early. Next week, our youngest son is going off for his first year. The last of five kids. After almost 30 years, we will be empty nesters. Sniff, sniff. Thank goodness I have my garden and garden swaps to keep my busy. LOL

Margo

o

Hi Vina :) sent you an email...nice to meet you and hope to hear from you soon, Dianne

Melody I so wish I had an ice cream maker...but I haven't got one yet...everytime i think about it i kick myself for not getting one and then i forget about it til i want some again lol...

Margo...we'll keep you company :)...I figured it up and I will be 48 by the time my youngest is 18...I often wonder what hubby and I will do then with an empty house...everyone says we'll have time to be a couple again and we'll just enjoy growing old together lol and then there will be grandkids...well I think we're always gonna be kids at heart together hahahaha and I hope by the time I have grandkids I'm still young enough to enjoy them...altho I'm not in a hurry...I want the kiddos to have their own life 1st and be settled before starting their families...all is life lol

o

Aqua, I received and responded to your email this morning! I will love whatever you send my way!

Dianne (Moonfire), I sent you an email this morning....I need your address and some wishes from your end as you have nothing on your want list...or would you like to be surprised?

BINGO with Vina, Billy and Taylor has begun....how we enjoy the simple things in life. BINGO....good fun!

Margo, good news about your daughter!!

Vina, thanks for hosting!

Annie

o

Margo, when my sister Sue became an empty-nester, she went out and bought a quad-runner at the recommendation of her doctor. She hasn't looked back since, and is still going down the trails, even after almost 15 years! Now she rides with her grandkids, and is having a blast. Perhaps you should see a local dealer? Lol, have fun!

Aqua, I've got your address and will be filling up a small box for you this evening (that's always fun!).

Alana, let me know if you didn't get my address, I just e-mailed it back to you a few moments ago.

Everyone have a good night!

Dan

o

Hey everyone!

Happy Tuesday!
I imagine the emails are flyin'. I've heard from Katie, so I'm all set with the Sprout side and I believe I have Alana's addy. I'll have to look.

I have a recipe for home-made ice cream. But, you make it in a can, and not with a machine. I've made it with my girl scout troop. I can post it if that's what your looking for. Its yummy! :D

THE BINGO WORD FOR TUESDAY: GINGERBREAD MAN

BINGO Words Drawn:
1. KENTUCKY BLUE GIRL
2. GUACAMOLE
3. GINGERBREAD MAN

Took the kids to an amusement park today, Seabreeze. Had a great time. Stopped home for a little while and then its off for a surprise dinner for the kids. :) GREAT DAY!

vina

o

Aqua, your dc# is 4202 8073 9405 5036 9930 0106 4381 19. I'll be putting your box into the mailstream when I'm at work tomorrow.

Dan

o

Wow Dan, that was fast! LOL. I haven't even looked at my stuff yet to send to Annie!

Annie, I hope so, I don't want anyone to be disappointed :).

I love homemade ice cream, my mom used to make strawberry, chocolate, vanilla and sometimes peach. She would use flavored soda to make it sometimes, for the strawberry and peach. It was good, now our neighbor makes homemade vanilla sometimes. I wish I had an ice cream maker.
Vina, I have seen the instructions for the ice cream in a can. I have also seen someone post instructions to make it in a zip lock bag. If I ever thought about it I would attempt to make some in a can but I am not that motivated LOL.

o

Vina I got your package ready to go...plan to mail it out tomorrow :)

All this talk bout ice cream makes me want some lol ...too bad we aren't close enough to get together for a byob (bring your own banana) social for banana splits and lessons on how to make ice cream in a can lol

Hope all have a good night...it's been storming here this evening and it's supposed to storm again thru the night and tomorrow...my plants are drinking it up ...my dog loves it too...he can't help playing in the puddles and drinking out of my water buckets i have out to collect rain water :)...so wish i had a camera to post pics...

o

I'm all set to send to Dan in a day or two on the sprouts side, will post when I do. I emailed Kathie for her address for the plants portion. I have not heard back from her yet, but will post when I am ready to send.
Kathie, if you responded I did not receive it. Try again.
Thanks, Alana

o

Good morning!

Wow! You guys are fast! I still have to start getting organized. I probably won't be mailing till next week. We have been having some wild thunder storms the last couple of days. LOVE IT! Just need to wait for the plants to dry out a little.

BYOB (Bring Your Own Banana) That is so cute! I've never heard of that before. I'm always looking for new ideas to do with the girls in the troop. I think we're having a Back to School BYOB Party! Thank you Dianne! Super cute idea :)

The ice cream is really easy to make too! When we do it with the girls they take turns turning and shaking the can. I've heard about the ziplock baggie one, but never tried it. I was always afraid it would leak...gross!

moonfire (dianne) ~~sends to~~ flowergirl34 (vina)
dan_the_mailman (dan) ~~sends to~~ aquadragonfly **SENT**

THE BINGO WORD FOR WEDNESDAY: DEATH BY CHOCOLATE

BINGO Words Drawn:
1. KENTUCKY BLUE GIRL
2. GUACAMOLE
3. GINGERBREAD MAN
4. DEATH BY CHOCOLATE

Have a terrific day!
vina

o

Vina, that is why I haven't ever tried the baggie thing either, that would just be all kind of nasty.
I never think about doing it in a can though, but since you said it really is easy I might have to try it soon.

Yeap, the BYOB is cute. Might have to talk my neighbors into doing that sometime. It would be neat to have an ice cream party!
We get together ever so often to eat supper together. Either we all make something or one of us will cook and then meet at the neighbors house who makes the ice cream because their place is bigger an they have a big table.

Vina, I sure hope you plant that Salvia and Knuatia I sent you. Would you believe I decided to take mine out of the pots, planted them and I forgot to water them :( YEAP deader then dead. They got crispy in our heat, I am certain they will not be coming back from the roots either. I am so bummed! I had just got them this year.

Ok, I need to go do something productive like see what to send to Annie. Guess I should be planting my plants I got last week before I kill those too, I am putting them somewhere I have too look at them everyday.

I am such a ditzoid!

o

Vina, ice cream in a can??? Ooh yes please, I would love to see that recipe. I don't have an ice cream maker, either, but I might ask for one for my birthday. Back in college I worked at this little restaurant just two blocks from the local farmer's market, and we'd make fresh ice cream and sorbet in the summer. And it was the BEST, best ice cream I've ever had! I'm still dreaming about it, I guess.

I've just discovered Outdoor Modge Podge. It is awesome! It's for decoupage work that you want to keep outside. I'm going to be decorating all my ugly, plain plastic garden pots with this stuff. Will post pictures when I'm done!

Katie got in touch with me for my address, and I emailed Kim (Txgardeningmama) but haven't heard back from her yet. It's okay though, I already have her address from a past swap we did. :)

~ Melody

o

Wed, Aug 15, 12 at 18:59

Whoohoo, I'm home!! And am absolutely swamped at home & at work! Promise to write a longer post later with updates and picture(s). Right now I'm just trying to keep my head above water...
Melody, I'm working on putting together your seed package. Slowly but surely coming together.
Katie

o

Vina just wanted to let you know I got your seeds put in the mail today :) I have the tracking # if you want me to post it here or do you want me to send it to you in email?

Sorry to rush but hope ya'll are all having a good day...my oldest daughter is singing tonight at church and i wanta be there so gotta run...ya'll be good and take care...lol listen at me tellin a bunch of grown folk to be good hahahahaha...at least take care if you can't be good ;)

tt ya'll later, Dianne

o

Welcome home Katie!

Ice Cream recipes in the link below, I haven't looked at all of them but I can tell you I sure am craving some right now!
The Key Lime Pie one oh yeah I need an ice cream maker!

Here is a link that might be useful: 20 Best Recipes for Homemade Ice Cream

o

I have both my recipient's addresses now-will post as I mail.
Alana

o

Morning!!

Aqua, would you like me to send you some of the Salvia and Knuatia back? I'd be happy too. :)

Melody, can you please enlighten me on Outdoor Modge Podge. I have never heard of it...but it sounds like it would be fun to try!

Has everyone now been in contact with swap partners?

Here's the recipe that I've used before. As you can see its not LIGHT ice cream, LOL! :D

1 (1-pound) coffee can with plastic lid
1 cup whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
1/3 cup sugar
2 tablespoons flavored syrup (such as chocolate or strawberry)
1 (3-pound) coffee can with plastic lid or a #10-size can, such as a potato flake can with plastic lid
1 Small bag ice, cubed (not crushed)
1/2 cup rock salt

In the small can, add milk, cream, sugar and syrup. Do not fill the can more than half full with liquids or the ice cream will not freeze as well. Cover the small can with a plastic lid and place it into the large can. Fill the bottom half of the space between the two cans with ice. Add rock salt. Fill the rest of the space with ice and put on the plastic lid.

Ask two people to roll the can back and forth to each other for 10 minutes. (You might want to set a timer because small children have little concept of time.) Remove the lids and scrape the ice cream from the sides of the small can. Stir the mixture. If the ice cream needs to freeze longer, pour water out of the large can. Set the small can inside the large can, adding more ice and rock salt as needed. When the ice cream is ready, there will be about a half inch of frozen mixture on the sides of the can, the rest still in near-liquid form. With a kitchen knife scrape down the frozen ice cream and stir it into the liquid ice cream to create the right consistency. Makes about 2 cups.

� Chopped frozen fruit may be added with the syrup if desired. It also speeds freezing.

moonfire (dianne) ~~sends to~~ flowergirl34 (vina)**SENT**

THE BINGO WORD FOR THURSDAY: FIRE AND ICE

BINGO Words Drawn:
1. KENTUCKY BLUE GIRL
2. GUACAMOLE
3. GINGERBREAD MAN
4. DEATH BY CHOCOLATE
5. FIRE AND ICE

So how many bingo words does everyone have so far? :)

Talk to you later!
vina

o

GOOD MORNING: FLOWERGIRL2009 ELLIE....I CHECKED OUT YOUR WANT LIST AND YOU DO NOT HAVE ANY PLANTS LISTED. SENT YOU A EMAIL ALSO. PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF THERE IS ANY ADD ONS. PLEASE CONTACT ME SO I CAN SEND YOUR PACKAGE.I AM NEW TO THE ROUND ROBIN, NEED SUGGESTIONS AS TO WHAT TO DO NOW. THANKS YOU MARSHA

o

I sent sinbadsmom(Kathie) an email with my addy.
Haven't heard anything back.

Got yours so I'm good there.Picking plants out to send.

Happy gardening all

o

I sent helwhhle (Wendy) 2 emails, one 2-3 days ago and just
sent another in case she didn't get it.

(Yoo hoo Wendy!) Need your address! :)

I will post DC and list (w/ pic) what I send.

Over and out,
Rena'

o

Oh no Vina, you just plant some when they flower you can send me some seeds then if you don't mind. Unless I manage to find another plant next year. Still can't believe I killed them...oh well such is life!
But thank you for the offer :)

I should try that ice cream in a can, it really does sound easy....
I looked at the recipes from that site I posted there was a chocolate mocha something I REALLY need to try that!

YES, Melody, can you please enlighten US on Outdoor Modge Podge? You can't come in here and drop things like that and leave us HANGING, we are gardeners...GARDENING MINDS WANT TO KNOW lol...so SPILL GIRL!

(putting off working as long as I can, that is why I am here now reading post LOL)

o

Hello!! I used to participate here several years ago and am excited to see some familiar names still here! I just wanted to butt into your thread to wave at Poisondartfrog! (hope you all don't mind). I hosted a White Elephant swap several years ago and we had a blast. I've moved a couple times and am just now getting back into dreaming about gardens again, so I hope to start doing some trading again soon :))

o

Ok, so now I am craving ice cream. The ice cream in a can looks like fun for kids to do.

I have two words so far.

I have been emailing my partner, Caroline, this week and getting to know her and her gardening style. It is always fun getting to know the members. She is new to swapping her at GW so I am kind of walking her through how it works. I will be working on her seeds tonight and the first part of next week so should have her package out by midweek.

Margo

o

Haha, okay! This is my first time posting pictures, so I hope this works out.

Mod Podge is basically this goop that you use in paper crafts, use it as a glue and as a sealer. They make this Outdoor Mod Podge that is for decoupage projects too, but it is waterproof. (Yay!) So if you've ever had ideas for decorating your patio table top, or outdoor shelves, etc. then this is your stuff!

I've been experimenting with decoupaging some plastic flower pots:

1. Decoupage Prototype (1st try) -- this started out as a plain, black plastic pot. I painted it with some gold acrylic. Then I plastered on the Mod Podge, attached my paper cut out (a bird from an old Scientific American) and finally painted on a layer of Mod Podge as a sealant.
Decoupage prototype 1
Decoupage prototype 2

I made the mistake of using a water-based paint to cover up the pot first, so when I tried to add the Mod Podge, some of the paint started to come off. I need to use a paint specifically for plastic (like Krylon Fusion spray paint), or nothing at all.

Also, I still need to add a few more layers of sealant. Then it sits inside to dry for about 3 days, before it can be placed outside.

~ Melody

o

Here's a link to a description of Mod Podge:

http://www.createforless.com/Plaid+Mod+Podge+Outdoor+8+oz/pid46341.aspx

It's super easy to use. I just use a disposable sponge brush, but you can use a paint brush too, washes right out. It kinda resembles really thick Elmer's Glue, and you can water it down a bit for easier application.
Photobucket

You can use all sorts of pictures or paper cutouts or fabric or whatever for your decoupage project. I'm using magazine pictures, old calendar photos, old posters, old maps, tissue paper....
Photobucket

2. Here's my 2nd and 3rd tries -- 5 gallon plastic buckets from the hardware store. This one I used pictures of Greece from an old calendar.
Decoupage bucket 2

This one features an old poster of some painting of the Moulin Rouge in Paris, which I bought in Paris. The paper is too thick for decoupaging, I think, because there were too many air pockets. Next time I need to peel off the back layer of the poster, make it thinner.
Decoupage bucket 3

Here is a link that might be useful: Outdoor Mod Podge!

o

I knew about Mod Podge for INDOOR use but had NO IDEA they made it for outside! TOO KOOL!!! I wonder how well it holds up? It it last like the indoor stuff does it is a good product!
I like your Moulin Rouge that would have been neat on a piece of wood or tin to hang outside!
I need to get some of this exterior Mod Podge think of the projects you could do with it!
Oh and Melody you did an EXCELLENT job posting those pics!!!

Ok, I caved and went to the store and bought a thing of Moose Tracks! Wish it had been Bunny Tracks, I keep forgetting I don't like Moose Tracks but hey it is chocolate ice cream so it was better then nothing...all this talk of ice cream was just too much for me to handle.

Margo congrats on the two words so far, I only have one...

KIM,,,WHERE ARE YOU???

Ok, I think I am going to bed...I have so much to do and just am not in the mood to do anything lately. Maybe tomorrow (fingers crossed).

Have a wonderful Friday everyone!

:) Agua

o

Agua, that is a GREAT idea to mount a poster onto a piece of wood to hang as a garden decoration! I might not be able to salvage the Moulin Rouge from the bucket but I have some other cool Paris posters. Ooh, so excited! I can use the Mod Podge to seal the whole piece of wood.

Yeah, I don't know how long this stuff will keep everything weatherproof. The bottle says to reapply every few months, so we'll see. A little bit goes a long way.

~ Melody

o

I had read up on this quite a while back and the only draw back is that yes it is weather proof but the sun will still bleach/fade out the pic. Especially if it is in full blazing sun. But this info. is just what I read (can't remember exactly where). I've not tried it. I bought all of the stuff to do the Modge Podge but a year (or more- who's counting?) later it still all sits on a shelf. I have all of these ideas but not enough time... My honey says I collect crafts. lol guess I do.

I will tell you of another wonderful craft and that is making Tufa pots. I bought two books on how to make garden pots, fountains and tons of other amazing ideas with quikcrete. But I've not tried those either. One day... lol

And my Mom and her 4 sisters would get together when I was a little girl for ice cream parties also! Wow I never knew that others did the same. lol Yes I have been in a box (sort of) lol. Everyone would make a different flavor. My favorite was always banana. But most of all I have such wonderful memories of it! If we all lived close we could have a gardening party with ice cream and plants! Mouth candy and eye candy! lol The best of both worlds!

Have a wonderful weekend everyone! (I'll be ought of town for the weekend but will check my e-mail on Monday.)

Rena'

o

The buckets are great! I don't have time for a project like that now but I am going to file that away in the back of my mind for retrieval later. I have lots of those buckets and always have some tomatoes in them. I could cover them with pages from seed catalogs and they would be less jarring on the eye than that stark white. How fun.
Alana

o

Rena', I totally understand the crafting thing. I will see things that look so fun and buy the product and never finish the project. Once in a while I am successful but more often than not, I don't get it done. I have a bench full of scrapbooking and stamping stuff, didn't enjoy that. Have a whole cupboard full of jewelry making items that I very seldom bother to do anymore, it goes on and on. The one thing I do get consistently done is seed saving and swapping :).

Aqua, I also understand how you feel. I sometimes get in a funk and just don't want to do anything and can't explain it. My hubby thinks I am mad at him but I am not, I just don't want to stay in my shell and stay quiet. It passes after a time. With five kids in all stages of life and having difficulties now and then, I think that might have something to do with it. It gets heavy at times but then once I feel better, things are much better.

I can't believe modge podge is still around. I remember my friends mom doing it when I was younger, like in the 70's. It is making its rounds again. Neat.

Hope everyone has a great Friday. Margo

o

Vela! I missed your post. I remember your White Elephant Swap. It was one of the most fun swaps I have ever participated in. You have been missed. I am tickled to see you posting and I hope you will join in some swaps soon!
Alana

o

Afternoon!

Aqua, I haven't planted yet. So I'd be happy to re-send you back some instead of waiting for me :)

Vela, please stop by anytime. Your a little late for this month but, we'll be doing this again next month. We'd love to have you!

Melody, you have just given me yet another reason to go to Michaels! I NEED to try this. It looks like so much fun. And , I too have the boring white buckets that could use a little personalization :) I've had a couple butterfly calendars I've been holding onto with the most beautiful pictures. Didn't want to throw them away and was wondering just WHAT to do with them?? Now, I know, lol!

Katie, your Sprout is on the way. And wouldn't ya know it, I forgot to a DC#. I can't believe I forgot! I got one for the other swap I'm doing, then, started talking to the mail-lady about all kinds of things. Handed her my other stuff to mail, and walked right out. Got home, and only then remembered. Is this the onset of "old-timers" or should I stop running my mouth :D

flowergirl34 (vina) ~~sends to~~ kchd (katie)**SENT**

THE BINGO WORD FOR FRIDAY: KOMODO DRAGON

BINGO Words Drawn:
1. KENTUCKY BLUE GIRL
2. GUACAMOLE
3. GINGERBREAD MAN
4. DEATH BY CHOCOLATE
5. FIRE AND ICE
6. KOMODO DRAGON

Talk to you later!
vina

o

Vina :) can't remember if I sent you an email with your confirmation # or not...just in case it's 0311 3260 0001 1292 6250 ...sorry i didn't think about it til you mentioned forgetting to get yours...guess we're all gettin slack minded lol

o

Ice cream, hodge podge, and even a komodo dragon. We cover it all, don't we...lol! I like that idea of making hodge podge on wood too, I'll have to possibly try that out during the winter when I'm not playing with my seeds. And speaking of seeds, I just got an e-mail letting me know that Aquas seeds were delivered today, I'm looking forward to seeing what she thinks! I know what you all mean about starting projects and not finishing them. A few years ago I got into basket-weaving and actually finished a few. Then I decided to go for it and make a bushel-sized basket. I have the directions and everything I need to make it, but there it all sits on the shelves behind me, having given up calling my name to get my attention. Someday!
And that's about it for me tonight. I've got some farmvilling to do, and then I need to make a birthday quilt block tonight so I can send it out tomorrow. I got into the birthday block exchange over in the quilting forum last December, and have been learning a lot!

Talk to you all later!
Dan

o

YES, Dan they arrived!!! Thank you so much, I am impressed I have to say and WOW you out did yourself!

Dan sent me a small box chock full of stuff!
Jobe's Fertilizer Spikes bonus pack! 50 instead of 25
Cotton Gloves with the rubber dots, LOVE THESE needed a new pair, how'd you know?
Seeds:
Carnival Squash (from my wants!)TYVM!
Eggplant Black Beauty
Eggplant Dianta delle uova
Zucchini Black Beauty (wanted this ty! and NOT on my wants, you scare me Dan!)
Summer Squash Early Prolific Straightneck
Tomato Large Red Cherry
Cucumber Straight 8
Cucumber Cross Country
Pepper Jalapeno
5" Pumpkin
Sweet Pepper Cubanelle
Gourd Birdhouse
Gourd Small Fancy Mix
Small Summer Ball Pumpkin
Lemon Melon (not sure what this is)
Cantaloupe
Pepperoncini Italian Pepper (a want!)
Canary Bell Sweet Pepper (a want!)
Roma Tomato (love this didn't have any for this year so I am set for next season THANK YOU!)
Big Freaky Tom Pumpkin, haven't heard of this one either!
Diva Cucumber another one from my want list
Sugar Daddy Pea, was going to order these
Garden Bean Contender

Herbs
Dill Long Island Mammoth
Lemon Basil
Dill Fern leaf wanted!
Parsley Extra Triple Curly

Pink Mimosa Tree seeds had trees on my want list

Flowers
Lemon Mum Marigold
Iberis Tahoe
Jacob's Ladder WOOHOO!
Bombest Poppy Thank you
Old Mexico Zinnia
Hardy Geranium "Albanum" another want~
Lavender Poppy
Allium 'Aflatunense'

Wow Dan, you truly outdid yourself really. All I can say is thank you so very much! A lot of these were on my want list and I had told him I didn't think he would have anything from my wants LOL.

o

Aqua, when you told me you didn't think I'd have any of your wants, all I could do was smile and chuckle to myself...lol! Use what you need, and put the rest in your round robin box if you wish. You've got options! LOL!

You're going to want to plant those lemon melons, believe me! They're a yellow melon, super sweet, and grow to about the size of a personal watermelon. My local grocery store has begun to carry them occasionally, and I can't get enough of them.

As for those gloves, I'm glad you can put them to good use. I've discovered somewhere along the way that there are two types of gardeners, those who use gloves, and those who refuse to do so. I'm one of those who won't use gloves because I like to feel the dirt and plants. If my hands aren't filthy by the time I'm done gardening, I wasn't really enjoying myself...lol. I received those gloves in a former swap and set them aside until now. Something just told me to send them to you.

I'm glad you enjoyed your box, it was a lot of fun putting it together, especially after discovering I had some of your wants, both listed and unlisted...rofl!

Dan

o

Dan, I was absolutely amazed when I opened the box then I was flabbergasted when I started going through the seeds. There were a lot I wanted an just haven't gotten around to listing and I though I needed the gloves and was going to get another pair and forgot, I am a don't use gloves gardener too, HOWEVER, I am digging my new beds and some other stuff and I don't enjoy the blisters I got from NOT having gloves on for that job.
I wore out a couple of pairs because I forget I have them on and start digging with my hands in the dirt and well, that tends to make holes in the fingers lol.
SO of course the first thing I saw were the gloves and thought wow, needed those, how'd he know? THESE are the exact ones I was looking for because they help me now loose my grip on whatever I have in my hand.
THEN There were a lot of seeds I wanted in there and some I haven't even gotten around to listing and I though ok, that man has ESP! It was just uncanny!

I have never heard of the Lemon melon but I will most defiantly try it! It sounds delicious. I can't wait for next season! I like trying new melons this one sounds interesting.

I forgot to post I had help opening my box, my little monsters had their mouths, body and paws in there. They were chewing on the box and pulling out seeds. I finally told my BFs son to grab the camera it was too cute not to share. I didn't realize they were so nosy, they had not done anything like it before I got this box. They were ever so helpful.
The one with the box in her mouth is Ruby, she's little fireball. The black one is Gizmo, he is the one that likes to sleep in my shoe although I think he has gotten too big to do it now, and the other one is getting ready to grab something out of the box is Duchess, she also likes to get in my shoes. She is quite and timid though but she is very sweet.
You know they are all very spoiled, Ruby is the baby in the bunch she is smaller then the other two and she whines to get her way!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Again, I thank you very much it was an excellent selection I truly was blown away! I am not sure if any of them will end up in my RR box lol.

Hope everyone is having a great Saturday, it is cloudy so I am headed out to plant my new plants before I kill them!

o

Aqua, thanks for sharing that photo, I know what you were going through! Bump and Stella have to inspect everything that comes into the house, whether it's seeds, fabric, or groceries. And of course, if it's in a box or paper bag, they take turns getting into it, no matter if they actually fit or not...lol! Those pups are cute! I'm betting they keep you busy, right?
Dan

o

Hey all!
Sorry I missed posting yesterday.
I'll double up and post 2 Bingo words today.
And, I see the packages are flyin' :)

That package was amazing!! And those puppies are so CUTE!!

dan_the_mailman (dan) ~~sends to~~ aquadragonfly **SENT**REC'D**

THE BINGO WORD FOR SATURDAY: WILD HORSES
THE BINGO WORD FOR SUNDAY: ROOTBEER

BINGO Words Drawn:
1. KENTUCKY BLUE GIRL
2. GUACAMOLE
3. GINGERBREAD MAN
4. DEATH BY CHOCOLATE
5. FIRE AND ICE
6. KOMODO DRAGON
7. WILD HORSES
8. ROOTBEER

Have a great afternoon everyone!!
vina

o

I just got both of my boxes ready for the mailman to pick up in the morning.
My sprout package going to Dan is DC 9405503699300110795741.
Kathie's named Daylily/Hosta/Iris box is DC 9405503699300110782536.

I cleaned house Friday and threw away my bingo list. Vina can you send my email back to me? If not, no problem. That's what I get for cleaning.
Alana

o

I did it today. I ran my first 5k and actually didn't do too bad. It was a Color Me Rad run for Leukemia and as you ran through certain stations in the run, they would throw food coloring/cornstarch powder on you or spray it mixed with water. I was so worried that the stuff would stain my face and I would go to work at the gift shop tomorrow with it all over my face that I would avoid the stuff as much as possible. I am attaching a photo I hope goes through. It washed off the kids just fine so plan to do another one that I can get into better next time.

I am almost done gathering seeds for my swap so will be pulling it all together by deadline. Will also be spending the last few days with our youngest who will be going off to college on Thursday. :(

Margo

o
RE: NEW: Aug.MnF's: Iris, Daylilies & Hosta's Oh My! :) swap

The finish line.

o

Margo, you have a great looking family! That marathon looked like a lot of fun. And check out that crazy pink cloud! It looks like a cotton candy machine exploded, or something. Haha!

Aqua -- puppies! Soooo cute.

Wow, you guys are so quick with your trades. I'm still working on mine. I haven't yet gotten a response from Txgardeningmama but I will send another email to her today. I already have her address, but I still wanted to get in touch with her before I mailed a package.

4 bingo words so far.

~ Melody

o

Diane (Moonfire),

Your sprouts went out this morning....

DC# 0312 0090 0001 5685 7775

Margo, now that was a great day with some of your family yesterday...FUN and for a wonderful cause!!

Happy Monday!

Annie

o

Ellie (farmergirl2009: Your package is on its way with some extras. Enjoy ! Will email you with tracking number

o

Ellie (farmergirl2009: Your package is on its way with some extras. Enjoy ! Will email you with tracking number

o

Margo, that looks like a lot of fun!

Alana, that's funny about your list, it reminds me of something that happened when I was in high school. I had written a paper for one of my classes and left it in one of the many stacks on my desk. To me, everything was organized and I knew where it all was. To my mother, it looked like a mess, so she finally had enough of looking at it and went and cleaned it up one day while I was at school. Of course, the paper I'd typed up went into the trash, and I had to do it all over again. After that, my mother never cleaned my room again, she just told me to keep the door shut so she didn't have to see the "mess" whenever she walked by...lol! I hope you find your list!

Dan

o

Hi all, just wanted to let dirpig know I sent her box out today. Left the p.o.receipt in the truck I will email the tracking number later. Kathie

o

Hey everyone!

Dianne, I received your awesome bubblie today. I'll have more time to list everything in it later. It was such surprise...and wonderful! THANK YOU! :D

Alana, sending you your bingo list right now. Please let me know if you don't receive and I'll retry.

Margo, Congratulations, on your race. And your family is beautiful. Very colorful, lol! What an amazing cloud! You can barely see people inside it!

Melody, 4 Bingo words! That's great! Anyone close to 4?

poisondartfrog (alana) ~~sends to~~ sinbadsmom (kathie)**SENT**
illinoisdoglover (marsha) ~~sends to~~ farmergirl2009 (ellie)**SENT**
sinbadsmom (kathie) ~~sends to~~ dirtpig **SENT**

poisondartfrog (alana) ~~sends to~~ dan_the_mailman (dan)**SENT**
moonfire (dianne) ~~sends to~~ flowergirl34 (vina)**SENT**REC'D**
canyonwind (annie) ~~sends to~~ moonfire (dianne)**SENT**

THE BINGO WORD FOR MONDAY: YABBA DABBA DOO

BINGO Words Drawn:
1. KENTUCKY BLUE GIRL
2. GUACAMOLE
3. GINGERBREAD MAN
4. DEATH BY CHOCOLATE
5. FIRE AND ICE
6. KOMODO DRAGON
7. WILD HORSES
8. ROOTBEER
9. YABBA DABBA DOO

Talk to you later!
vina

o

Margo, I am sure ya'll had a lot of fun! I saw that cloud of pink and all I could think was how choked up I'd be LOL.
It did however look very colorful.

The puppies are both adorable and a handful. Thanks for all the wonderful comments about them!

Hey Kathie, sorry I haven't replied to your email, I have been busy and not took the time. I do apologize.
Kim is busy with her business, I haven't talked to her in almost two weeks now.

Dan your teenage room sounds like my corner I have all my seed stuff in, although you DID say you knew were everything was with your "mess" I have a general idea of where it is, but not exactly always. I have my baggies for seeds, envies, scissors, note pads and such all there and then my stuff I need to mail things in...yes, it looks a bit untidy BUT I know where it all is when I need it LOL.

Annie, I am shooting for Wednesday to mail your 'sprouts' I have an appointment tomorrow and will try to pack your envy when I get back home.

Hope everyone had a wonderful weekend.

o

:) Thanks Annie...i'll be keeping my eyes open for it in the mail :)

Aqua...lol @ those puppies...mine does the same but he's so big even tho he's only about a year and half old he weighed 80 pounds like 4 months ago lol...he's a Newfoundland...and yes a housedog which makes much work for me but he's still my big baby lol

I'm bombing out big time on the bingo...I've only got 1 word ! 8')

o

Oh and Vina I'm glad you got your bubbly today :) ... I tried to match up with some things close to your want list but I didn't have the exact things you wanted...so hope I didn't send seeds you already had!! ...Hope they grow well for you, Enjoy, Dianne

o

Miss Vina...HAPPY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! ENJOY!!!!

Annie

o

Tue, Aug 21, 12 at 19:34

HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY, VINA!

Ooooo, I received an amazing package of seeds from Vina yesterday. Wow, Vina, I L-O-V-E what you picked out to send me! I received:
Yarrow, Pink Grapefruit
Yarrow, Terra Cotta
Asclepias incarnata, Cinderella
Daisy Crazy
Rudbeckia, Indian Summer
Hibiscus, Rose Mallow
Gaillardia Fiesta Daisy
Coreopsis, Jethro Tull
Clasping coneflower
Red burnet
Yellow pear tomato

I am super duper excited about planting these come winter/spring! My dear husband bought me a 10x10 greenhouse for my birthday last month. Oh, he has no idea what kind of [gardening] monster lies dormant...

Melody, I have all your seeds picked out and dried. Now I just need to package them up. Will post a DC when it gets mailed.

Still trying to keep my head above water at work... Still have pics to post about the crazy Wisconsin field work. Oy vay! I'm ready for some R&R. Maybe in November....

Katie

o

Happy Birthday Vina!!
My PC has been acting up. I think I have banished the blue screen of death for now, but if I don't post for a bit, that is why.
I received my list, Vina, and I have 4 cultivars on the Bingo list. Thanks!
Tired out. Night folks.
Alana

o
Happy Birthday Vina

Happy Happy Birthday, Vina!

o

Happy Birthday Vina! Two days after mine. Yay August birthdays!

:) Hope you had a great day!

~ Melody

o

Happy Birthday Vina!!!!! Hope it was the best ever!!!!!

I have 3 bingo words.

Rena'

o

Morning!

Had a terrific B-Day yesterday. Worked out in the garden most of the day. And hubby surprised us with a special dinner last night. SUPER DAY! :)

Thanks for all the well-wishes! :)

I'm sorry I didn't post a BINGO yesterday. So today you'll get a twofer.

THE BINGO WORD FOR TUESDAY: FIRST FROST
THE BINGO WORD FOR WEDNESDAY: LION KING

BINGO Words Drawn:
1. KENTUCKY BLUE GIRL
2. GUACAMOLE
3. GINGERBREAD MAN
4. DEATH BY CHOCOLATE
5. FIRE AND ICE
6. KOMODO DRAGON
7. WILD HORSES
8. ROOTBEER
9. YABBA DABBA DOO
10. FIRST FROST
11. LION KING

Katie, so glad yours arrived. I tried to mix it up a little :) Hopefully I filled some of your wants.

AND, in my package from Dianne was:
~ Gaillardia
~ Red Hollyhock: from her garden
~ Hibiscus: Dinnerplate
~ Lupine: Purple
~ Columbine: Double and Single: Mixed
~ Pink Downy Phlox
~ March Hibiscus: Double Pink
~ Poppies
~ Poppies: Red-Pink
~ 4 O'clocks: Fuschia
~ Cosmos: Sensation Picotee
~ Hibiscus: Militaris: Pink Native
~ Columbine

THANK YOU SO MUCH DIANNE!! Such a lovely assortment! :D

poisondartfrog (alana) ~~sends to~~ sinbadsmom (kathie)**SENT**
illinoisdoglover (marsha) ~~sends to~~ farmergirl2009 (ellie)**SENT**

flowergirl34 (vina) ~~sends to~~ kchd (katie)**SENT**REC'D**

Have a super Wednesday!
vina

o

You're very welcome Vina and glad you like them :)

LoL I only have 1 bingo word still hahahaha

o

Wed, Aug 22, 12 at 16:29

Melody -
HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY Belated Birthday, to you, too!
I have your seeds packed up and ready to go. I think you will really like the mix I picked out for you. There are some oddities in there :)

Whoohoo, I have 5 Bingo words!

Katie

o

I just went to usps.com and put in that dc# Alana posted, my package from her should be here tomorrow! Yippee!!! That'll be a lot of fun to open!!!

o

Yipee...Christmas came early. Received box from Marsha this afternoon. Oh thank you so very much Marsha. In the box was the following:
2) Hosta's - Sieboldiana Elegans
1) Hosta Green Gold
2) Hosta's Francee
2) Hosta's Gold Edger
2) Siloam Ethel Smith daylilies
2) Iris's Puddy Tat and
12 Tete-a-Tee daffodiles
Sue's box will go out tomorrow. Have a little bit more digging to do. Thanks so very much for a wonderful box of goodies. Aren't gardners wonderful!

Ellie

o

My package went out today but I need to figure out where I put the DC number which I suspect is in my purse. I will be honest, I am not feeling like getting up right now. :) I will post it later.

My daughter is feeling better and has an appointment later this month with her gyno. Poor thing, someone hit her car while it was parked where she works. The kid has no license and no insurance. The police filled the report and then once the kid left the parking lot, he was arrested. Then she and her husband came home to a flooded apartment after the pipe to the water heater in the apartment above them burst. No one lives there so it went undetected for hours. A lot of water on the floor but fortunately no damage. Hubby and I helped them put stuff where it was dry so the guy could clean up the water. We then treated them to dinner out.

Tomorrow we take our youngest off to college. I am in need of some serious down time.

Margo

o

Happy Belated Birthday Vina :-)

I only have 3 Bingo words.Funny I didn't think it would be so hard to get a word.

Vina your package will go out tomorrow morning.Sorry for the make shift box.Hope it's not to much of a pain to open with all the tape I had to use.:-)I forgot a to put in a note.I was so busy with all that taping.

Wow Ellie nice box of plants :-)
Everyone is getting nice seed packs too.

Well night all,happy gardening.

o

Morning all! Got my box yesterday from Alana, great selecton of plants!
Daylilies
Bacon ballerina
Dads Best White, don't have a white one!!!
Exotic Treasure
Hillbilly Heart
Iris
Buffer Zone
Zurich
Siva Siva
Hosta
Minuteman
Thanks so much Alana these will get into the ground today! Kathie

o

Good morning! Happy Thursday! :)

Ellie, that sounds like a terrific box! YES, gardeners are WONDERFUL :D

Wow! Margo, your poor daughter! That is some bad juju going on! Wishing her the best for her dr's appt. All the rest of it can be replaced.

Okay, I need to look up Bacon Ballerina, LOL! What a play on words that one is. I LOVE IT! ROFL!!! Is anyone else picturing a pig in a tutu? :D

Alana, I'm getting your box tog. today. :) HOPEFULLY, I'll be mailing it out this afternoon. Cross your fingers...I've been trying to work on it all week.

THE BINGO WORD FOR THURSDAY: DEMI-DEUIL

BINGO Words Drawn:
1. KENTUCKY BLUE GIRL
2. GUACAMOLE
3. GINGERBREAD MAN
4. DEATH BY CHOCOLATE
5. FIRE AND ICE
6. KOMODO DRAGON
7. WILD HORSES
8. ROOTBEER
9. YABBA DABBA DOO
10. FIRST FROST
11. LION KING
12. DEMI-DEUIL

This bingo is still anyone's game. Its so close. Gotta LOVE bingo! :)

poisondartfrog (alana) ~~sends to~~ sinbadsmom (kathie)**SENT**REC'D**
illinoisdoglover (marsha) ~~sends to~~ farmergirl2009 (ellie)**SENT**REC'D**
dirtpig ~~sends to~~ flowergirl34 (vina)**SENT**

smitties (margo) ~~sends to~~ tess1893**SENT**

Beautiful day today! Upper 80's but a nice breeze! Stay cool everyone. :)

Talk to you later!
vina

o

Afternoon!

Alana, your box is in the mail :) DC# 0311 3260 0002 3604 2311 Hope you enjoy!!!!

Have a great night everyone!
vina

o

Oh man, did I ever have reason to be excited, or what? You be the judge. If you've ever received a package from Alana, you know that you're in for a treat when she sends you something. If you haven't received one from her yet, pray that you will, and soon! I joined the sprouts group because I didn't think any plants could make it to me safely, but Alana proved me wrong...lol! In her words "I think you need a daylily in your garden so I sent one!" Alana sent an exotic treasure daylily, and she's right, I needed it! It arrived safe and sound, and is now getting a good soaking in the kitchen, where it will stay until I plant it this weekend.
Alana also sent seeds galore. She knows what I like in my garden, stuff that's pretty, simple to take care of, and durable. Here's what she sent:
coleus (love this plant!)
cleome (enjoy this one too, and it easily reseeds itself)
yummy mummy marigold (someone remembered that halloween is my favorite holiday!)
baby bottle gourds (love me some gourds!)
morning glories: wedding bells, apricot candy, & sunbeam spoked (fantastic color combination)
something un-named (I like mystery plants!)
dark red poppies (papaver) (these look great!)
white pearl lathyrus (sweet pea) (I love sweet peas)
zinnias: orange king and cherry profusia (oranges and wine reds...wow!)
ornamental hedgehog cucumbers (very unusual looking, I like!)
Ceratotheca triloba (South African foxglove) (kewl! can't wait to grow these!)
crimson red flowering tobacco (more purdiness! loving it!)
Emilia javanica - Irish Poet (appeals to the writer in me, and extremely easy on the eyes... they just pop!)
Nigella Miss Jekyll White (I like these!)
Queeny Yellow Hollyhocks (awesome!)

Alana, as usual, you sent a wonderful, wonderful, wonderful package, and I thank you for it from the bottom of my wheelbarrow...lol! You've sent flowers I want for my garden, as well as new ones to try and even something of a mystery, which anyone who knows me knows I enjoy! I've never heard of the the queeny hollyhocks, but I'm so glad you sent some along! I just gave away all my hollyhocks because they were too tall for my perennial mound, which I'm hoping to totally convert to flowers no more than 2-foot tall. As I was looking up these seeds I kept picturing them either in my perennial mound amongst the coneflowers, or in my stone circle beneath my maple tree. And that daylily? That'll be the new star of the show in what I lovingly call my chaotic corner! Once again you've outdone yourself, and I am thankful to be the happy, happy, happy recipient! (((HUGAS)))

Dan

o

It's raining DAYLILIES here :-)
Kathie (sinbadsmom)sent me a box full of daylilies.
Mildred Mithchell
Mystical Rainbow (love the name)
Elegant Candy
Pretty Fancy
Tuscawalli Sugar and Spice.Kathie do you have a picture,I can't find one.
June Wine
Naughty Nancy..couldn't fine a picture of this one either.
Thank you,thank you.I love daylilies,but then you doesn't?
LOL
Doing my happy dance :-)

o

Thu, Aug 23, 12 at 18:11

Melody,
I just realized today that I don't have your address, or at least I can't find it in our emails. I'm ready to mail your package as soon as I get it!
Katie

o

Kathie and Dan,
I'm glad you enjoyed your packages. Vina, I am excited to know mine is on the way!
Tomorrow is Friday. I think that calls for a celebration, too.
Alana

o

Well, my son is safely tucked away at the University of Cincinnati about to start his first year of college. He is the last of five to fly the coop. This is going to be weird after 30 years of children coming and going.

I did receive my package today and I will post the contents later. I will say it was full of seeds.

Oh and by the way, I have seven of the Bingo words. :)

Margo

o

Thu, Aug 23, 12 at 22:28

Hi everyone,
Well, I am double posting this in 2 forums - I hope nobody minds. As promised, here I am posting about what in the world I've been doing all summer while traveling to & fro Wisconsin. As some of you already know, I work with fish-eating birds: cormorants, pelicans, herons, egrets, gulls, wood storks, etc. My husband and I have been working in Wisconsin for the past 3 years, but we also regularly work in Mississippi, Alabama, Arkansas, Michigan, Ontario, and a few other places. Yes, we are a husband + wife team, working together out of the same office. Many people are surprised that we work together, but it is great. We make a fantastic team, and are often at our best under challenging field conditions. Great minds think alike, and being dear friends & in love sure helps too. (ok, enough with the mushy stuff).

So now for a few photos from the vegetation surveys we did this month.
Background: We are working on remote islands in Lake Michigan, around the Door Co. Peninsula area. All the islands have nesting double-crested cormorants and herring gulls. Some also have nesting Am. white pelicans and Canada geese. Back in April, we put up some 6 ft x 6 ft pens (we call them exclosures) to exclude the cormorants because they damage vegetation with their nesting activities (too much POOP!). So then we went back in August to catalog everything that grew in the pens, by plant species, and weighed it to also determine biomass. That meant breaking out the field guides, studying up on botany and the flora of Wisconsin, and bringing the plant presses for species we couldn't identify on the island. We compareed the exclosure plots to some "control" plots, which had nothing but 4 wooden stakes at the corners. We had 45 plots to do on 3 islands, plus another 3 islands down by the city of Green Bay that we did simple vegetation surveys on (no pens). It was alot of work, but very interesting.

The bottom line: there are lots of nonnative species on those islands, like motherwort, catnip, pigweed, common mallow, stinging nettle and sow thistle. The native vegetation was primarily lambsquarter and smartweed species.

Almost done clipping this 1-meter plot:

Looking for small plants beneath the lambsquarter

The finished, sampled 1-meter subplot

Who would even know what this was?!?! I saved seeds to winter sow and see if I can't figure it out.

The very last veg plot to measure. You can tell, because we look so happy!

A friend found crawling across the plant press

The stinging nettle I hacked through to make us a nice trail to get to the center of the island. At least its not poison ivy!

Ok, that's all for now. Have a great evening.
Katie
(heh - I've been working on this post for days!)

o

Fri, Aug 24, 12 at 8:35

Melody's sprouts package is on its way!
DC # 0308 1400 0001 5410 3321

Katie

o

Good morning everyone!!

LOL! Dan, everyone DOES need a daylily! And, now that you have one, you won't be able to stop! Soon, you'll need another...and another...and ANOTHER! Remember, it always starts with one, lol.

Dirt~ that is an awesome box! I looked up Mildred Mitchell and that is gorgeous! I may need to order that one! So pretty!!

Margo, WOW! the last one off to college. Congratulations!
And SUPER 7 Bingo words! COOL!

Katie, let me say it again, YOUR JOB IS SO COOL!! Those pictures are amazing. Thanks for sharing them with us :)

THE BINGO WORD FOR FRIDAY: BLUE CADET

BINGO Words Drawn:
1. KENTUCKY BLUE GIRL
2. GUACAMOLE
3. GINGERBREAD MAN
4. DEATH BY CHOCOLATE
5. FIRE AND ICE
6. KOMODO DRAGON
7. WILD HORSES
8. ROOTBEER
9. YABBA DABBA DOO
10. FIRST FROST
11. LION KING
12. DEMI-DEUIL
13. BLUE CADET

flowergirl34 (vina) ~~sends to~~ poisondartfrog (alana)**SENT**
poisondartfrog (alana) ~~sends to~~ sinbadsmom (kathie)**SENT**REC'D**
illinoisdoglover (marsha) ~~sends to~~ farmergirl2009 (ellie)**SENT**REC'D**
dirtpig ~~sends to~~ flowergirl34 (vina)**SENT**
sinbadsmom (kathie) ~~sends to~~ dirtpig **SENT**REC'D**

poisondartfrog (alana) ~~sends to~~ dan_the_mailman (dan)**SENT**REC'D**
smitties (margo) ~~sends to~~ tess1893**SENT**

Has everyone been in contact with their swappers?

Happy Friday!! Going into the 90's here today. I'm splitting strawberry plants. I can't believe a couple years ago I started with 5, now I have almost 100. YES! about 100! They are growing right over the raised bed side and into my asparagus bed. My neighbor said she would love some. I hope she knows what she's getting into, lol.

Talk to you later!
vina

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here