Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindaruzicka

NEW: new: mnf flowers, feathers and fun!!

lindaruzicka
15 years ago

~~~~~~~~~~~~~FLOWERS, FEATHERS, AND FUN!!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Flowers, Feathers and Fun

Flowers waving in the breeze

scenting the very air

a gardener's dream

Feathers, drifting lazily

touching down gently

chirping voices above

Laughter, echoing merrily

joyous music in the distance

gardening...one of God's gifts

This Round Robin will be all about Flowers, Feathers and Fun! Come join us, meet new friends and catch up with your old ones...everyone is welcome! The heated pool is open, there's burgers on the grill and season's last pool party is open!!

Here are the rules...(yes, even we need rules) 1\. As per GW rules, you must be at least 18 to play. 2\. Sign ups are until September 10th 3\. Your package must be sent either first class or priority mail with a confirmation number posted here on the forum. \*\*\*\*\*MAIL DATE SEPTEMBER 25\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\* 4\. You will be sending at least 3 different kinds of bulbs/seeds 5\. You will be sending something that has to do with birds (birdhouses, chimes, garden stakes, birdnest, etc...however, we don't recommend sending live birds..."G") 6\. You will be sending something that's fun, funny or brings a chuckle to your RR partner (use your imagination, from being in this group, I KNOW you all have good ones!) 7\. Keep it inexpensive (we're not looking to do in anyone's piggy bank here) 8\. HAVE FUN!! After all, that's what's it's all about, right? \*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*\*

Comments (150)

• ejmoore510
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so sorry for laughing guys! I thought I was the only one these kind of things happened to! I've laughed so hard, I'm crying! Whew!!!!!!!!
    Now, as for the puppies chewing things up! I accidentally discovered something that has worked with the 2 little female puppies that someone dumped down the road and I picked up. I was trying to be "Green" and picked up some all natural flea & tick spray up at Walmart. I think it's called "Natures' something or other" in a green bottle. Anyway, it has cinnamon & peppermint oils, etc. And I thought what the heck! I'll try it. I mean how bad can it be if they smell like a piece of Big Red chewing gum? Right? Well, WRONG!!!! I sprayed just a little bit on them and they went berserk! I meaning running, rolling, crazy! PLUS, the smell was SO STRONG, my son told me he was getting a headache from them lying OUTSIDE ON THE FRONT PORCH and he was inside with all the doors closed!
    So, when they started chewing on my wicker rocker, I thought HMMMMMMMMM! I sprayed it and it worked like a charm! You have to reapply about every week, but the whole bottle was like 5 dollars and it only takes a squirt!
    And I DO MEAN 1 SQUIRT! Or you'll need a gas mask!!
    Course the neighbors probably think I've got some kind of Cinna/peppermint Schnapps still out back! :)

Joan

• ptbarnum
    15 years ago

Hello Everyone,
    I wanted to let you all know that I'm here with Dan now, and that he's safe. He's dealing with some health issues at the moment, but his doctor is helping him with them, he'll be going through some more tests next week after the holiday, and eventually things will be fine again. You may find it a bit difficult to believe, but Dan is a very private person, especially when it comes to his health. I will be staying here until next weekend, at least, so I will keep you posted on his condition until he feels like coming online.
    Dan has asked me to you all to have a good weekend, and a safe one. I'm adding my warm wishes to his for you all. Thank you being such a great group of friends to Dan, and to me!
    And Vic? I'm not going to be joining any swaps or doing any trading. I'm here to get to know you all, have some fun, and be a part of what has become a big part of Dan's life. He thoroughly enjoys the company of you all, he talks about you and what's going on all the time, and I even got to share being in his August trades. That was fun, and I'll be sharing in his trades in the future. So, I guess what I'm trying to say is, I want to be a part of this part of Dan's life, and even though I'm not actively trading with one of you, if you are trading with Dan, you are also trading with me.
    And now it's time for me to get off my soapbox and take him out for dinner. He says there's a little drive-in that makes the best burgers and malteds, so that's where we are going tonight.
    Have a good night!

-P

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

Paula, thank you for updating us on how Dan is doing. I know how some things are very personal. Please let him know that my thoughts and prayers are with the two of you as you get through this.

Tracy

• jaleeisa
    15 years ago

Thanks so much for the update, Paula. Give Dan our love and prayers. He's become a very large part of our lives as well. I will keep him in my prayers and have lit a candle for healing with a prayer for him. And another for strength, comfort and peace for both of you. I'm not sure if you, or even Dan, know but I am of the Wiccan faith. So I will keep these candles lit each day with a prayer for him. They are new candles and newly blessed. Not sure what your beliefs are, but for me, these have strength and I hope it is not offensive to either of you.

Please keep us up to date, as you've seen, there is great concern for Dan in this group. I think I can speak for us all in saying that we are all very happy that he has you and that you are there to comfort and care for him. I know whatever is wrong is much easier for him to deal with with you by his side, lending love and strength. And we, his "sisters" in gardening, find great comfort in knowing that you are with him and he is not going through this alone. You are a blessing to all of us, amazing how that happens, isn't it? :)

Bright blessings to you both.

Kathy

• allisonlwise
    15 years ago

Hi, all,

Just thought I'd pop in to say Hi. Was hoping I'd feel well enough to play this month, but still no improvement. Maybe October will be better :)

Hope you all have a great Labor Day weekend!

Allison

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Paula,
    Thanks so much for letting us know. I'm glad you are there with him, and I'm sure it is a huge comfort for him.

I understand him wanting to keep things personal, and I am just glad he has you to care for him and to let us know how he is doing.

You are both in my thoughts and prayers also.

Take care,
    Vicky

• canyonwind
    15 years ago

Linda....

I am about to jump in to my pool with a pitcher of Margarita's and a bottle of Charodonnnnnnnay in hand. I am cruising around the ROUND ROBBIN EXCHANGES....rarely do it...this sounds like fun! I am in for MNF FLOWERS, FEATHERS AND FUN!!!

Be well Dan...nice to meet you Paula...and all the others here at MNF.....................

Off to the swamp.......................

Annie

• dan_the_mailman
    15 years ago

Hey there and Howdy-Do! I wanted to take a moment and let you all know I'm still here, and doing okay. Things could be better, but they could be a lot worse too. Paula's been telling me what you guys have been saying, and all I can say is, it's great to have such an awesome bunch of friends!
    Anyway, Paula's telling me that breakfast is ready, and I'd better come get it while it's still hot. So, the master beckons and I must go.....

Take care, have yourselves a good weekend, and I'll talk to y'all later.

-Dan

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Annie! So glad you could come and play.."handing over sparkling wine glass after rubbing it on sleeve".."G"

Allison, I hope you feel better..if you don't want to play, stop in for a cup a nice tea and good conversation...((HUG))

and Wendy, Joan and Marie...you guys have my sides hurting from laughing so hard and my animals think I'm nuts..."L"..you guys crack me up!

Hi dan and Paula..I"m glad you're feeling better Dan, maybe you just needed some TLC from your favorite lady..."S"

• veeja11
    15 years ago

Wendy maybe my dh's cabbage moth remedy will work for your grasshoppers, he has two badmitten raquet's and he catces it between the two, it falls to the ground and he squishes it with one, funny to watch but works well. Think two lab pups can wreck a garden try 8 jack russell pups, hope they get sold soon, while I still have plants left. Dan, get well
    big healing hugs and prayers for you. with Paula there making brownies you should be well soon. I wanna know the cough drop story. are you pregnant ? you just had your first visit with Paula ? No worries I'm sure she will take care of you. big hugs carol

• dan_the_mailman
    15 years ago

HEY!!! I'VE GOT SOME HUGE, BIG NEWS!!!

PAULA'S MOVING HERE IN OCTOBER!!! We've been talking over the weekend, and when she goes back to New York Paula's giving her notice at work and where she lives, and she's moving here to live with me the first week of October! Yesterday she helped me clean out my bedroom closet so she'd have her half, and today we're going to start working on the office, getting it cleaned out and organized so she'll have room in there to put her office stuff. Paula's met a lot of my family, and they've all done their part by welcoming her and making her feel like part of the family. I think what really sealed the deal for them all was knowing she dropped everything and came running last week.
    In the next few days, we're going to go shopping for a new bed and couch.
    I FEEL LIKE A NEW MAN!!!

Hope everyone else is having a good weekend too!

-Dan

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    15 years ago

"throwng confetti and releasing balloons"...HURRAH!! Great news Dan.."giving Paula a big hug"....I'm soooooooo happy for the both of you!!!

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Dan & Paula, that's GREAT news!!

I've got good news too...... it rained on & off all day yesterday and all night!! Everything is soaking wet!! Yeah!!

• Frances Coffill
    15 years ago

Congrats! Paula and Dan!!!

Bravo Paula! I did the same thing as you, 9 years ago and have never looked back! Best Wishes to both of you!

Frances

• ptbarnum
    15 years ago

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

You'll never guess what is going on here, but I think it's simply adorable! You would think that Labor Day we would be grilling hamburgers, and having potato salad, slaw, and all the other fixings, right? Not in this house! While Dan's sister and brother-in-law are out grilling with his parents, MY MAN is in the kitchen, cooking a turkey breast! Yes, I said he's cooking a turkey breast! And not only is he doing that, but he is making sausage/cherry stuffing for dinner too! I love this man! He is making the stuffing from scratch, even going so far as to dry out the bread in the oven. When I asked him if I could help, he told me to relax and stay out of the kitchen. He didn't have to tell me twice!
    Apparently, the dinner menu is turkey, his homemade stuffing, squash casserole, baked potatoes, green beans, sliced tomatoes, and lemon sorbet for dessert. We're going to have to take a longer walk than usual tonight, after eating all of that!
    You all enjoy your burgers, hot dogs, and the fixings. I'm having myself some Thanksgiving dinner!
    I can't wait to see what he does during the holidays! Knowing Dan, anything is possible!

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!

-Paula Coates
    (not yet, but trying it out anyway!)

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Hmmm.....Paula, I thought you were there to take care of Dan! LOL
    You must have gotten him better really fast! I'm glad to hear he is feeling better.
    Paula Coates.......sounds like it fits good!

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

Congrats Dan and Paula!

I think I hear bells off in the distance. Grin! Good for you guys. Dinner sounds wonderful. What time should I come over with the family? You don't mind adding 7 plates to the table do you? Happy Labor Day!

Tracy

• ptbarnum
    15 years ago

Seek Codes

MySpace Graphics

The More The Merrier! Come On Over!

You don't if I kiss the cook, do you? As if that would stop me! LOL!

Seek Codes

MySpace Graphics

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    15 years ago

hmmm..Paula Coates..has a nice ring.."G"..hey, we'll be right there too...add some more plates!.."packing up all 7 cats and stuffing them in the car"...

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

The neighbor's cat wants to come to but has a question for you...

• prairiewinds
    15 years ago

Hey there! It took me two nights to finally read through this thread, but I finally got here! Congrats Pat and Dan! I'd like to get in on this trade, so keep me posted.

• dan_the_mailman
    15 years ago

Tracy, tell the neighbor's cat that yes, I have catnipz, but Bump and Jason sell it by the ounce. I have a couple of feline stoners here. If I'd known they were gonna be like this, I'd have named them Cheech and Chong! LOL!!!

I'm stuffed. Gotta go for a walk now, see ya later! Paula's taking me for more tests tomorrow, so keep your fingers crossed for me!

-Dan

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi prairewinds, welcome! C'mon in and join the crowd.."handing over a burger and a beer"...

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

Awesome, I'll pass the message on to Chloe! LOL! Cheech and Chong, huh, maybe they can get used to some new names. I am wishing you lots of luck tomorrow Dan. I hope all comes out well for you.

Welcome Prairiewinds! Would you like a beverage? I think Dan will be back shortly with a list of cocktails that he is conjuring up tonight. Your turn! Tell us a little bit about you please?! Any embarassing gardening moments?

:o)
    Tracy

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Hey Prairiewinds! Welcome to MNF! I believe we met over at RMG, I do still pop in there from time to time, but as you can see these guys will keep ya pretty busy over here! LOL

Dan, GOOD LUCK!!
    Hmmm......I wonder if there has ever been a GW wedding???

I can't wait to find out who my partner is!! This is going to be a fun swap!!

Vic

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I can't wait to find out who mine will be either..."L". I'm going to have Jeff pick out names, he'll be a good one for it...just throw them in a hat and pull them out.

• dan_the_mailman
    15 years ago

Okay, okay, okay. Before any of you start hearing wedding bells, or making plans to "decorate" the car, let me say this. Paula and I are going to live together, not get married, as of this October. IF, and I do mean IF, we decide to get married, we'll let you know. Until then, we're gonna shack up and pretend we're married, y'hear? We're gonna live together, shack up, cohabitate, get to know one another biblically, live in sin, etc, etc, etc. You supply whichever euphemism you like. Just don't go getting us married, because no one has asked anyone to get married, yet.
    Give us time.
    We have a lot of getting-to-know-one-another to do yet.

Now, as for the "drink of the night", we're enjoying a nice little reisling wine we picked up at the renassaince festival in Stirling New York. Unfortunately, Paula won't allow me to have more than a single glass of it since the doctor drew more blood out of me for more tests today. Good thing for him he's a friend of mine!

Have a good night everyone!

Dan & Paula

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    15 years ago

"putting away confetti and caging doves"...shesshhhh Dan, what a spoilsport..."G"

• ejmoore510
    15 years ago

Psst! Linda, he said "yet". Don't give up.
    Of course we would never do any helping, emmm , I mean interfering Dan! (looking up at the ceiling innocently with fingers crossed behind her back...)

Joan

• dan_the_mailman
    15 years ago

oh no, there'd never be any interference from you ladies, none at all! HA!!! (lol!)

Joan, I got your box today, THANK YOU! Just one question though, what's the larger plant?

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Well Dan, all I've got to say is.........

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

Sorry Dan, can't help you out there. See, Miss Paula wasn't trying on shoes in that there post, she was trying on last names! LOL!

Mmmmmmm, riesling eh? One of my favorites. Second to my Gewurtztraminer! Yummmmmmmm!

Paula, careful when you're sipping out of your glass, there might be something in the bottom of it. No, not a mickey, I think I see something shiney! (evil grin from ear to ear from teasing Dan mercilessly).

• dan_the_mailman
    15 years ago

go ahead, tease me. you do it well.

lol!!!

• ejmoore510
    15 years ago

Good morning all!
    Dan - it's red canna. (Forgot the label!) No wonder the box took so long to get there! (Not marked priority) We have an elderly lady that works at the local post office & she gets a little confused. Bless her heart! I know I specified priority, but she probably forgot! We all LOVE her to death though, so she's worth a little confusion now and then. :) Glad I soaked all the plants for a couple of days before sending though.
    Ewww! Vic! Please DON'T tell me where you found that picture. Don't want to know. HA! Good one though!
    Dan - if we didn't luv u, we wouldn't tease you. You know?

Joan

• ptbarnum
    15 years ago

Could you all do Dan a favor? I know he doesn't believe in prayer, but I do. Some of the blood tests came back today, and things aren't looking good. They are revealing more than what anyone thought they would, and that's all Dan is willing to let me say. I'll let you know more later. I don't think he's going to be online for the next few days, not in the mood he's in right now. So please, keep him in your prayers, would you?

• ejmoore510
    15 years ago

Dan & you both will be in my thoughts & prayers.

Joan

• dirt_under_my_nails
    15 years ago

Welcome to all the new MNF's!

Dan & Paula~ you guys are in my thoughts.

Vic~ That was SOOOOO gross!!!Not really hungry anymore...

I didn't sell not a darn thing on Mon. Finally got the donation people to pick up ALL the leftovers today. Will have to remind the kids NOT to buy back their toys when we go junk shopping there!! LOL!!

later...April/dirt

• canyonwind
    15 years ago

Dan and Paula....my thoughts and prayers!

Annie

• Debra Andruska
    15 years ago

Hi,
    I do believe in prayer! I'll say one for you Dan, tonight. Things will get better, have faith. ;)
    I have a blood level/iron of 40, the norm is 100 (low end). I'm severly anemic and somehow I'm like the energizer bunny. How or why, I'll never know. Again, it's faith and vitamins!

Hugs,
    Deb

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

Dan and Paula, I am praying for you too. There has been many times when the only thing that saw me through has been prayer. I love laying still and telling God about my day, asking Him for some guidance and strength. Sometimes it is hard to make myself start the "talk" that I need to have with Him but it always helps me.

The answers are not always obvious but usually within a short time I see things a bit clearer and have a path to move forward on. If you don't believe in prayer then try meditation. Thinking quietly to yourself has a wonderful effect on your mind, body and soul.

Hugs,
    Tracy

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ladies,
    We need prayers for Dan big time....a while back he had a lump removed from his chest that was cancerous. He had it treated and it was gone. The blood work showed that it's active again.

So everyone say prayers in whatever form of faith that you believe in. Let's help get Dan and Paula through this.

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Dan and Paula,
    You are both in my thoughts and prayers, keep your chin up Dan, there are a lot of great treatments these days.
    And if you believe in any of the natural remedies, I've heard blueberries, and lots of em. Also, there are certain types of mushrooms that are also very high in antioxidents. Jamie's sister is an RN and she swears that 2 ppl she knew were cured with this, I don't know and haven't done much research on it, but it can't hurt!

Take care both of you!
    Vic

• jaleeisa
    15 years ago

Dan and Paula, I will continue to keep you in my prayers and meditations. I know that you don't hold faith in prayer, but positive energy is coming your way in waves. I know it is a very difficult time, and one that you are not in the mood to speak of much. I know what you two are going through. Shortly after the birth of my next to youngest son, my stepmother was diagnosed. Hers had already spread too far before being diagnosed.

When my youngest son was a year old, my favorite uncle passed after a 15 year remission. Even my stepmother had several years to enjoy life after her diagnosis, even with it having spread so far there wasn't much that could be done to treat it.

If you can have faith in nothing else, have faith in the fact that you are a strong individual who has much left to share with the world. Have faith in the woman at your side who loves you, and your family who does as well. Have faith in the doctors who found this quickly.

I had not left off of my prayers and meditations for both of you. In addition to healing and strength (light blue and red), I will also be lighting a pure white beeswax candle, one of the few left to me by my mentor, which holds her blessings and meditations for purity, faith and energy.

I hope you feel well enough to join us and just hang out and talk. About anything. Gardening is a way of cleansing the soul and mind. And your friends here love you and hold faith for you that this will be well.

Kathy

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    15 years ago

update on Round Robin

debya-deb
    nikkineel-nikki
    suze62-suzi
    sassybutterfly-wendy
    dan the mailman-dan
    veeja11-carol
    vic zn5-vic
    ladygreensleeves
    lindaruzicka-linda
    ejmoore510-Joan
    shadymeadow-sandy
    ishareflowers-lisa
    misskimmie-Kim
    wynative-Marie
    cayonwind-Annie
    prairiewinds

and maybe jaleeisa-kathy
    maybe proundgm

Have I gotten everyone so far?

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

Looks good to me Linda, matches up with what I have on the list so far.

Dan, I just don't know how to say how sorry I am that you are going through this. Please know that I am wishing you my very best. You can beat this. You have a wonderful partner, some good friends, and the full support of your family. I hope you can feel the love that is surrounding you and are open to accepting the strength of their love. You are a strong person with a heart of gold.

Here is a link that might be useful: Listen to this...

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Dan & Paula,
    I'm sure you both know we are all here for you both.

Also.... has anyone heard from Marie? I'm worried about her, she hasn't returned any of my emails and I haven't seen her post lately...

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I don't think she's posted since her grasshopper down the dress/cowboy story..which was funny..."L"

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    15 years ago

now the the end of gardening season is drawing to a close..at least outside...how are some of the ways you gather and dry seeds?

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

I've been gathering my Pink Coral Nymph salvia after they've dried on the plant and stick the stalks upside down in a paper bag to shake the seeds out.

I have Hosta Golden Tiara seed pods drying out in paper bags. When they dry and break I will separate the seeds from the chaff.

My Gaura seeds are so easy. I just strip them off the whip of the plant by running my fingers along it in a pinch and they pop off down into my hand. Those go right into seed packets that I make from parchment paper.

I have to start collecting some seeds from my clematis. They are finally turning to fluff. I can't collect those too early or they don't do anything. They have to dry on the vine as far as I've been able to tell so far.

I got some great seed pods on my daylily Moonlit Masquerade. I'm anxious to see what those will turn out looking like. I have no idea what they cross pollinated with so it will be a mystery. :o)

I have never collected seeds from heuchera before. Anyone have any experience in this? I'd love to gather some off my spent flowers. Do you wait until they're dried or can you take them when they are still green on the stem?

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

ohhh Dan I'm havin' a hard time with this entry.. but I know they've caught this early for you. There *IS* wonderful treatment out there, and you have a fantastic woman by your side, all your family AND your GW family supporting you wholeheartedly as well! Sending many prayers of healing, of direction, of peace your way!

Hugs,
    Wendy