Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum

o
NEW: new: mnf flowers, feathers and fun!!

Posted by lindaruzicka Z6 PA (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 23, 08 at 11:32

~~~~~~~~~~~~~FLOWERS, FEATHERS, AND FUN!!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Flowers, Feathers and Fun

Flowers waving in the breeze
scenting the very air
a gardener's dream

Feathers, drifting lazily
touching down gently
chirping voices above

Laughter, echoing merrily
joyous music in the distance
gardening...one of God's gifts

This Round Robin will be all about Flowers, Feathers and Fun! Come join us, meet new friends and catch up with your old ones...everyone is welcome! The heated pool is open, there's burgers on the grill and season's last pool party is open!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here are the rules...(yes, even we need rules)

1. As per GW rules, you must be at least 18 to play.

2. Sign ups are until September 10th

3. Your package must be sent either first class or priority mail with a confirmation number posted here on the forum. *****MAIL DATE SEPTEMBER 25**********

4. You will be sending at least 3 different kinds of bulbs/seeds

5. You will be sending something that has to do with birds (birdhouses, chimes, garden stakes, birdnest, etc...however, we don't recommend sending live birds..."G")

6. You will be sending something that's fun, funny or brings a chuckle to your RR partner (use your imagination, from being in this group, I KNOW you all have good ones!)

7. Keep it inexpensive (we're not looking to do in anyone's piggy bank here)

8. HAVE FUN!! After all, that's what's it's all about, right?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: NEW: new: mnf flowers, feathers and fun!!

Ohhh I have to join this one. I love birds! I have several pet parrots!

A pic of Oliver! Who sits and supervises most swap boxes I pack!
Photobucket
Deb

o

he's a pretty pretty birdie...."G"

o
Toby

A pic of another animal that sits an supervises ALL boxes that go out!
Photobucket

Toby

o

Sign me up! Sounds like fun! Nikki

o

He's a cutie, Deb.

Welcome Nikki..glad to have you aboard! "passing out burgers"

o

Hey Linda sign me up too!!
And pass me a burger w/ev no mayo please :)
Thanks,
Suzi

o

anyone want a muffin? I'm trying a new recipe from scratch today. The muffins have blueberries, raspberries, strawberries and almonds in the mix. I'm waiting to see how they turn out. Then I think I'll make some sugar drop cookies and freeze them. Have to save money somewhere and baking snacks is cheaper than buying them!..."L"

o

*waves hand @ Linda! me me! :)

Well... I've been 'away' for a bit, most know the why of it, but I think I'm ready to jump back in the pool and have some fun. Count me in Linda :) I'll take a burger w/ the works!

Hugs all,
Wendy

o

***jumping off the diving board*** SPLASH!!!
***swimming towards edge of pool, then climbing out, with my shorts ON!!!***

Did someone say something about burgers??? Do I need to make a beer run? Beer would go better with the burgers than margaritas. We've still got the van, don't we? hehehe

Hmmmmm, I can think of lots of things to do with feathers, so I'm in on this one this month! LOL!!!

Linda, when are you gonna post partners on this one? The rules don't say, and you know we all like to follow the rules, right? HA!

-Dan

BLUE MOON
The Marcels
- words by Lorenz Hart, music by Richard Rodgers

Blue Moon, you saw me standing alone
Without a dream in my heart
Without a love of my own

Blue Moon, you knew just what I was there for
You heard me saying a prayer for
Someone I really could care for

And then there suddenly appeared before me
The only one my arms will ever hold
I heard somebody whisper, "Please adore me"
And when I looked, the moon had turned to gold

Blue Moon, now I'm no longer alone
Without a dream in my heart
Without a love of my own

o

post partners?..umm...sure I have that all planned out.."coughing"..partners will be posted on the 12th...that way we can pick up any stragglers that happened to be hiding.

oh, Dan, while you're on that beer run..pick up some more hamburger buns..."flipping burger onto Suzi's plate and sugar cookies on Wendy's"

It's good to see you Wendy...((HUG))...glad to see you brought your swimsuit Suzi!

o

Sorry to say I'll be siting this one out. My pocketbook only allows one swap per month.Signed up to host the Sept swap for another group many many moons ago. What's really funny is the theme is "For The Birds"! LOL!! Feathers must be a fall theme.
I will be popping in though!
later...April/dirt

o

count me in, I'll take one of those muffins. Dan, thankyou for keeping those shorts on. whats with all these oldie songs ? Can't wait to see who I get. Are the burgers grass fed beef ?I only eat happy cows. I made a deal with dh, if I sell all 9 pups, I can buy a hot tub, or a pond, guess which one I chose ?I wish I had a bird. Deb love yours. send him please. happy gardening
carol

o

ROFL!!! Carol, you only eat happy cows??? What kind of "grass" do you prefer they be fed? I keep getting an image of a herd of cows eating "special" brownies for the "grass" they contain! I know that's not what you meant, at least, I hope that's not what you meant, but the image still persists! LOL!
And, as for the shorts staying on, I prefer it too. I don't care what Linda says about the pool being heated, it's not! That water is cold! Nice though, on a hot summer day...

Linda, here's a coughdrop. I received some in a box last month, and have a few spare, so take care of that cough, will you? I'll get the hamburg buns while picking up the beer. Anything else we need? How're the chips holding out?

I Woke Up In Love This Morning
-performed by The Partridge Family
Last night, I turned out the light, lay down and thought about you
I thought about the way that it could be
Two o'clock, wonderin' what I'm doin' here alone without you
So I close my eyes and dream you here to me and...

[Chorus:]
I woke up in love this morning
Went to sleep with you on my mind
Went to sleep with you on my mind

Hello, girl, yes it's five o'clock I know but you just listen
There's something that I've got to let you know
This is you, this pillow that I'm huggin' and I'm kissin'
And one more thing before I let you go...

[Chorus]

Do dreams come true, well if they do, I'll have you
Not just for a night, but for my whole life through

[Repeat chorus to fade]

o

"handing Carol a muffin"...here you go! Dan, yep, we could use more chips and some pretzels..."checking bowls"...looks like we might have a good size crowd..."looking pleased"

o

April, even though you can't play, stop by for a burger and dip in the pool...

o

***returning from store***
Hey! Here are the buns, chips, beer, and I bought some brats too. Oh, there was someone having a bake sale outside the store, so I bought us some brownies. Who wants to try one?

o

Brownies?.."raising eyebrow" and you bought them outside of the store?...I'll give them a try.."smacking lips"

o

Hello. Is this the same Linda Dan keeps telling me about? I'm Paula, his girlfriend. I decided it was about time I got to know you, and the other ladies he keeps telling me about. I don't know what he's told you about me, but he says this is a good group of people. When he was visiting me here in New York, Dan showed me this website and what was happening on it. So, I decided today to visit on my own, and look some more. You people are always having such a good time! I live in an apartment and don't have a garden, but I plan on getting my hands dirty in Dan's garden next year. He is going to have to start growing more vegetables! So where do I go from here? What can you girls tell me about him that I don't know already?

Paula

o

PAULA!!!
I'm so glad you came to join us!! Are you going to join in on the sept. swap? Make sure you get your trade page set up for your wants, that way when one of us gets Dan for a swap partner we can send him stuff you like!! hehehe

You 2 still haven't figured out the cough drops huh? "snickering" I'll have to drop you a line and you can decide if you want to share the info with Dan "G"

I think I'll join in on this one! Sounds like fun "grabbing a cold beer" "ahhhhh"

Vic

o

Paula!! Welcome, welcome..."dusting off chair and handing you a burger"...yes, I'm that Linda...don't know what's he's been telling you though..."whistling and looking up at the ceiling"...Dan's a good guy and we're happy that he found someone..we kept having to water down his drinks..."G"

o

LOL! Vic! You sent them cough drops.. roflol... ohh poor Dan he doesn't know what he's missing!

Great to meet you Paula! :) We've heard sooo much about how wonderful you are, we have to run around after Dan with towels to mop up all the soppy-ness. He is SOOO taken with you! :)hehe

Linda .. seriously girl I need a margarita, beer, something... thank god tomorrow's Monday and the kids go back to school! They've been cooped up inside all wkend due to rain and I'm about to pull my hair out! :P

*goin to look in fridge and see what takes the LEAST effort to make for dinner... :)

~Wendy

o

PAULA!!! Hey, you didn't tell me you were gonna come here on your own! It's nice to see you though! I LOVE YOU!!!
***grabbing my girl's hand and leading her away from all you hooligans*** LOL!!!

Seek Codes
MySpace  Graphics
MySpace Graphics

o

Linda sounds like your swap will be awesome what a neat theme!

Paula! Welcome! It's wonderful to finally meet the woman who has swept Dan off his feet. Since your here we can now hand you the towels and let you chase him around the pool and it wasent just because he was soggy either.....ppsssttt...he likes to skinny dip!
And I hear you guys really liked the Almond Vanilla massage oil too.....glad you enjoyed it.
TTYL

o

Hey PW! Where HAVE you been?!? I was wondering if you were gonna fess up! LOL I thought I would have to tell on you!
Didn't you say you made that massage oil yourself? I heard Paula REALLY likes it! "giggle"

Wendy, I was begining to think no one else knew what those were for either! LOL

Vic

o

"sticking out foot and tripping Dan"..not so fast there Bub...we girls have some chatting to do....."handing Wendy a cold beer"...besides Dan, what harm would it do to have Paula talk to us?.."batting innocent eyes"...

o
RE: welcome!!

Hey Vic and PW...welcome to the party..."passing around cold beer and chips"...

o

OOOH, I have been away for too long! I almost missed meeting Paula!

Photobucket
Hello Paula! Very nice to meet you! We have heard so much about you and are glad you came to play with us!

Dan, don't worry, I won't tell Paula how to do a search to read all of your postings. LOL! I am getting back on my trading feet. We have had some rough times here with family stuff lately and I have gotten a bit behind on my boxes that I am sending out. I am hoping to be all caught up by the end of the week. My apologies to all who are waiting to hear from me.

April, you should have received an email from the PO today. I have your box ready and it will start travelling tomorrow. I'm sorry I took so long.

Hugs!
Tracy

o

Hi Paula, nice to meet you, about Dan, I know he likes brownies and has trouble keeping his shorts on, and has fallen hard for a New York girl. maybe you could tell us a few secrets about him, is he bald ? handsome ? romantic ? come on your one of us dish the dirt. hugs carol

o

Hi Paula and welcome! We've all been so looking forward to "meeting" you! Dan's really a sweetie, but I'm sure I don't need to tell you that! I hope you enjoy getting to know all of us and spending time with us, but I agree, put up a wants list, that way we can share things with Dan that you enjoy too!

Linda, I'm hoping to be able to join this one. Just gotta wait a bit and see how much finances straighten out after getting the bratlings all their school stuff. And I just started a job on Wednesday. I am now an official Garden Center cashier at Wal~Mart! If I have to work there, at least it's in an area I enjoy and have some knowledge about! I've got my eye on some really gorgeous things and was thinking several would be great for swaps.

OHHH! AND.. not sure about everyone else's local Wally World, but ours has some really nice looking roses for $7.00/pot. Several had buds on them and I was thinking that this is really a nice time to put in new roses- reasonably cooler weather, rainfall so they don't go into so much shock and time to settle in before winter dormancy. And we had some really gorgeous Broms at a good price too :)Lots of the pots and accessories are starting to go on clearance and I'm sure more will join in the next few weeks because the Halloween stuff will be going in in a few weeks.

Anyhow, I just got off work a little while ago, so I'm gonna go veg out a little while before running the bratlings off to baths and bed.

Kathy

o

Okay, I'm back, and Paula has gone off to bed. She has to work in the morning and was a bit tired, so we hung up the phone and went our separate ways for the evening.

Now, as for you Tracy, you won't have to tell her how to read my posts and find out all about my shenanigans, I've already told her, and she's been reading. I didn't know there were so many though! hehehe S'okay though, the more she reads, the more she laughs, and not just at me either! I LOVE hearing her laugh!

And Linda? I don't see any reason to be afraid of what you'd say to Paula. So, go ahead and tell her about the brownies, the trips behind the bushes at the pool, the skinny-dipping, the booze, and anything else you can come up with. Make up stuff if you want to, though I don't know why you would. The actual stuff makes good enough conversation, don't you think? After all, I've been so laid-back and gentlemanly, completely proper with you all, not at all mischievious or anything! hehehe NOT!!!
Seek Codes
MySpace  Graphics
MySpace Graphics

o
here's a thought.....

I just found this. Hope you like it too.....
Seek Codes
MySpace  Graphics
MySpace Graphics

o

Dan, that's a great saying...I should copy that and put it on my fridge.

Now Paula knows that you're a charming, smiling Irishman,..what more is there to know?..."G".."holding up the blarney stone"

o
RE: signed up so far

here's who we have so far:

debya-deb
nikkineel-nikki
suze62-suzi
sassybutterfly-wendy
dan the mailman-dan
veeja11-carol
vic zn5-vic
ladygreensleeves
traceyvine-tracey
lindaruzicka-linda

and maybe jaleeisa-kathy

have I missed anyone so far?

o

Oh dear, Linda, I forgot to mention in my earlier post that I won't be swapping again this month. Things are still upended here and I am taking the month off to get myself collected. I hope you understand. I will still be posting and harassing everyone though.

Now Dan, that sounds like a pre-emptive strike if I ever saw one! lol! When have you behaved? Hmmmm, I can only think of one time and that was when Vic and I tossed you in Betty Ford. Careful with those papers, we might have to do another drive by.

Hugs!
Tracy

o

that's okay Tracey, we'll just enjoy your company..."S"

well, I woke up this morning to a very insistant cat that demanded that I get up way before it was their feeding time. Grumbling and muttering under my breath, I stomped downstairs to the basement to feed the mob (the food dishes and litter boxes are in the basement) and found out that my hot water tank had spewed everywhere! What a mess! The good thing is that we only have to pay a $50 dedeductable on our home owners warrarenty. But let me tell you, I have some very unhappy cats..."sweeping water down the drain"...

o

OH LINDA! What a mess! Sorry you had to start your day that way! "adding an extra big splash of Baileys to your coffee"
But, I do think your kitty deserves a special treat for warning you about it!

So Paula, have you ever been to MI? Do you live in the city in NY? I think you will love MI, esp. if you like the outdoors! I grew up there and just moved to MT this spring. I miss it soooo much! We do have the mountains here, but not the nice lush green of MI, and hardly any water/lakes. And we don't get the fresh produce out here, like you can back east. We went to the farmers market sat. they wanted $36.00 for a case of peaches (they didn't look that good either) a lunch bag of cherries was $9.00!
I might have to get a hold of some folks back home and have them ship me some! "sigh" "feeling sorry for myself : ("

Well, today is my interview! Of course, it's supposed to be 102 degrees! So I get to choose, drive the van that the air doesn't work in, or the blazer that the brakes are going bad. Hmmmm....comfort or safety! I think I'll take comfort so I don't show up looking (and smelling) like a drowned rat! LOL

Vic

o

Good morning all! Hope everyone had a good weekend!
Loved reading all the posts! Sounds like I missed all the fun. :( You guys just kill me!
Linda hon, so sorry you had a bad start to your morning! Hope your day gets better and the kitties calm down.
I'd love to join this swap if it's okay. Thought maybe it would perk me up.
Have a great day all! I'm off to hunt up my galoshes. (Fay's headed this way.)

Joan

PS - Vic, you go get 'em in your interview!

o

Hi Joan and we'd love you to join the swap.."handing over a plate of chips and pouring more bailey's in my tea"..great idea Vic.."slurping"

Vic, extra good luck on your interview..knock them dead! ((HUG))

And Paula, are you going to tell us what kind of plants you like so whoever gets Dan the Man can include that for you?..."S"

o

Hello everyone!

Had hoped to join in this month (birds and other winged creatures are a fave of mine) but the weather is still dry and hot and dry.... its all I can do to keep the plants I already have watered. It is too depressing watching stuff whither and die in the heat.

So I am out...... still planning on joining in for the bulb swap though. (if the squirrels and chipmonks have not eaten all of my bulbs that is)

Have fun, will try to pop in and say HEY! from time to time

Frances

o

Hi Frances...you might want to think about it..we're not sending live plants...just seeds and bulbs.."rattling seed package in your ear and giving you big smile"

o

Hello Ladies! I've only got a few minutes to do this tonight. I'm calling Dan later, so I have to eat dinner and do a few other things beforehand. He's so funny! He makes me laugh all the time, even when he's being romantic! Dan will be in the middle of being very romantic, then BANG! Out of nowhere, he'll say something totally off the wall, and I'm laughing until my side hurts!

Linda, it sounds like you had a horrible beginning to your day! How many cats do you have? Were they all wet? How is your basement? I hope the water didn't damage anything but the cats' pride! I know Dan says he has a cat who likes the water, but I'm reserving judgement on that until I see this cat in action.

Vic, when I was in the Air Force, I was stationed in the Alpena area. That's on the east coast, and Dan lives on the west coast, right honey? I don't live in New York City, but in the town of Utica. It allows me to have a taste of the big city, without all the drawbacks. The City is a fine place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

(pause)

I'm back now. Dinner tonight is a chef salad. And for dessert, I'm having ice cream. But don't tell Dan! Uh oh, I just did! Well, honey, a girl's got to do what a girl's got to do! I love you!

Forgive me if I don't get all your questions answered right away. I'm trying! Oh! Speaking of questions! I still remember those questions you had Dan ask me, back in May or June I think it was! Those led to some very interesting discussions!
Some of you have been asking what kind of plants I like. I like coneflowers, sunflowers, lilies, carnations, roses, irises, and herbs. I like more than just those, but those are the ones I know the names of. Next summer, Dan and I are going to be growing eggplant, carrots, and beans in the vegetable garden. He isn't growing them this year, but we will next summer! I like fresh carrots and beans in my salads, and the way Dan ate the eggplant parmesan I made for him, we're going to need to grow our own supply! He'd never had it before, so I made some for his first night here. Would you believe I had to make more later in the week? He loved it!

That's about it for me tonight. I won't be joining in on any swaps because I have no plants to send anyone, and I will be going through my apartment in the next month, figuring out what I'm going to take with me when I move to Michigan. I look around and keep asking myself,"Do I really need to take that too?"

Good-night Everyone! I'll be back here by the end of the week. Don't let Dan get to you, he's got a heart of gold inside him!

-Paula
(PTBarnum)

o

Hi Linda and all

Imma going to have to pass on this month also, I have committed to a couple other swaps and the way the weather is I am hoping I didn't over do it.

Hi Paula, nice to meet ya and welcome to MNF's.

Pixie

o

I am so pumped about this swap! I have been a lil too happy ebay bidding on seriously cool seeds and bulbs! :P and I gotta GRRREAT deal on some very cute birdhouses at BigLots that were marked down. woohoo

Come back anytime Paula! :)

Hugs ya'll,
Wendy

o

WENDY!!! I went to BigLots today too LOL
If we get paired up we might end up getting the same thing we send LOL

Paula, the airforce huh? I bet that was interesting, did you get to go to any nice places?

Vic

o

WooHoo!! A day off!!!! Finally I can catch up on things! Important stuff like threads and what everyone's up to and go through my seeds and weed the gardens... oh.. and I have to do that other stuff too, like tidy the house cause of course there are things scattered here and there with me working again.

It's not been too bad. Just a little more demanding on my poor body than I'd anticipated. I mean come on, I'd not worked for just over a year and before that, I spent five years sitting in a nice, comfy ergonomic office chair! So, being on my feet for 9 hours a day has been a little rough. All those muscles that you *think* you use all the time are going "HEY! What are you doing? Idiot! Sit down!" I get home from work and help with dinner if Cliff hasn't gotten home before me early enough to have it ready, sit down to eat dinner. Get up to clear my plate (everyone helps clear and clean around here) and my body starts screeching at me, reminding me I'm 38 and not use to quite so much consistent physical activity.

Other than being sore, which improves right now with a hot soaking bath with epsom salts and liberal applications of muscle rub and a good night's sleep, it's been pretty cool. I know, we're all usually down on Wal~Mart because of the conditions of the plants and the lack of concern for a plant's needs. Well, I worked with the department manager yesterday and we had a really nice visit as we were restocking. When we got to the part where she mentioned sharing any suggestions I had, I just smiled and said "Well... I do have one or two.. and one of the first would be to stop drowning the African Violets and succulents." Now this conversation had come after getting to know quite a bit about me over a 7 hour period. She'd found out that I'm an avid gardener. She sighed and looked at me and said "I'm not sure just who has been watering the plants during the day, but whoever it is, they don't know plants at all. I'm really glad I'm getting someone who *is* a gardener and who cares about the quality of the plants. Hopefully between us, we can start correcting the mistakes and maybe teach the others how to care for plants, starting with not drowning the AVs and succulents and that waving the water wand over the foliage once or twice is *not* watering the plants, that the dirt actually needs to be damp, not the leaves! And maybe we can teach them to check the soil before they decide to water rather than dousing everything every day." I was SOOOOOOOOO thrilled to hear her say all of that! Yeah, it may be extra work and effort to check the soil of a pot before watering, and yes, there are a lot of pots. But we will sell many more plants if a little care is taken to ensure they are cared for properly.

So, the new job is going well, and eventually my body will get with the program and I have a manager who actually cares that the plants aren't being cared for properly. And Thursday I will actually get to be able to leave my register zone and be out in on the patio floor and work with the plants themselves! I am SOOOOOOO excited! Karen, the manager, was grinning as I zoned the inside aisles because I was not only zoning and fronting and facing the products without thought, but I would pluck dead leaves, deadhead and shift pots who's plants were leaning to reach sunlight and test dry looking pots. Found three that needed a light drink. Those three had perked up nicely before she left for the day and two of them sold. I also drained the water trays under the AVs and succulents because they were swimming after noticing they had been in water after an hour. She made several comments and compliments about it before she left. Apparently most of the associates don't do much more than walk down the aisle of the live plants. They rarely touch a thing.

So, anyway, enough about my new job. Paula, we can all conspire to send the things you like to Dan when we swap or trade with him :) That way you won't have to try to move things with you, they'll be waiting for you :) We're all so happy for the two of you that you have found each other! I met my new husband on the internet as well and he and Dan are both rural carriers and have very similar attitudes and sense of humor :) Isn't it wonderful to laugh so much?

Kathy

o

Kathy, I'm glad you like your job so much! I was thinking of you when I went to WM yesterday! I was greated at the garden center door by a little tiny lady who was trying to get me a cart, that I didn't need and I was in a hurry, she acted dumbfounded when I said no thank you and kept trying to talk me into a cart! lol
Then, after walking around a bit I had a couple things in my hand and went walking (kinda quickly) to the other area that was by the door and the carts, she came scurring across the store (I think she was going to tackle me if I walked out the door) then she started asking if I changed my mind about the cart, I told her no, I was just wanting to look at the other plants, and again she tried to force a cart on me! lol
I was thinking "I wish Kathy worked here, she would be trying to force a plant on me instead of a cart!" LOL

But it is great that the manager appreciates your knowledge and is going to put it to use!

Vic

o

Kathy, it sure sounds like those plants are thrilled to have you there! Not to mention the manager! I really think *some* gardening know-how or at least interest should be a requirement for those positions! Sounds like you're really impressing the mgmt too, big plus for you! :) Congrats hon!

Vic, I knew that would enable someone to go blow some dough! lol

Hugs everyone,
Wendy

o

Kathy, it sounds as if you're job is rught down your alley. It's a wonderful thing when you are appreciated for the talents you bring to your work. YOu have a smart manager!

WEll, Pixie, if you're not swapping, feel free to pop by for a chat and a burger..."S"

o

I've been MIA for awhile, but would like to join in this month. Sounds like fun.

Nice to meet you, Paula. We've heard so much about you.

Kathy, so glad the job at WalMart is working out so well. I bet they really appreciate having someone there that understands plants.

This summer has been so busy with other things that I haven't been spending as much time with my garden as usual. Had a lot of painting to get done - house, decks and fence. That's finally winding down and not any too soon as the Seattle weather is feeling more "autumn" all the time and we are getting more rain than normal for this time of year. I've even had to turn the heat on a couple of mornings to warm up the house!

Looking forward to this swap -
Sandy

o

Good morning Linda,

Your plug worked......count me in!

o

What if you don't know everyone very well. How do you figure out what to send?

o

That's the fun of the swap! If you don't know the person to whom you're sending, you can make up a list of questions to ask them or just ask them things and email back and forth..you make alot of new friends that way..which is why we're called "MAke New Friends". I can always ask some questions too during this month to kick things off a bit.

o

Hi Paula,
Nice to meet you! I'm behind in all the threads as usual! ;)

Hi Proudgm,
I love sending garden, plant related items. Plants, seeds, bulbs, garden totes, tools, etc. plus a few seasonal items (yummy apple candle, cute sunflower kitchen handtowel, etc). Each swap is a little different, read the beginning requirements in each thread to determine what to send. For this swap, I think bulbs were mentioned, I'm sure seeds too, and for the 'feather' part- bird stuff. Bird houses, suet cakes, bird bells, but of course it's totally up to you what to send. :) You could even include a cute bird kitchen towel, oven mitt, bird soap dispenser, etc.
Trying to help with a few ideas! I know when I first started out swapping, I had no clue what to put in the boxes.

Photobucket

Deb

o
RE: Welcome!!

Welcome Sandy! Glad you are going to join us....and Lisa, good seeing you over here..."untying rope off Lisa's ankle".."G"

Have a burger, grab a seat and get comfortable..."passing around brownies"

o
RE and a question or two...

I had a very good question from proudgm about what to send to a person that you don't know very well. Deb had a very good answer so I think we'll go along that line:

What do YOU send to someone that you don't know very well?

o

I usually try to do an introductory email to a new partner, tell them a bit about myself, my likes/dislikes, then ask the same questions of her/him. I like to personalize the gifts as much as possible.. makes the boxes more special I think!

I'm having a crummy day... van broke down. So add towtruck charges to the bill... *sighhh and ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :(

Hugs ya'll,
Wendy

o

Hi Proudgm,
I hope you decide to join us! You will find that we are avery easy going group!

Deb had a great suggestion of asking your partner via email what things they like, I've asked ppl what their decor is, rustic, modern, whimsy, etc. and usually go from there and what is on their trade pg. Some are very detailed stating they love frogs, sunflowers, ducks, etc, some aren't (like mine lol)

It can be difficult sometimes, I wouldn't want to send a (to me) cute little flowery birdhouse to someone that would like a more sleek elegant type one, but, these swaps are for fun, if someone is looking for exactly a certain type of plant, garden decor, or tool and is very picky then they should think twice before joining (I hope that doesn't sound mean, not trying to be)

Anyhow, for someone I don't know very well, hmmmm...... honestly, I would guess! LOL

If I had to send something for you (Proudgm) today without any further chatting btwn us, I would most likely send you something on the whimsy/fun side that kids would like and try to stay away from fragile delicate things because of your name, NO plants, b/c of your page. Of course, I could be WAY off base and send a sunflower birdhouse and you might hate sunflowers! LOL, but that's a chance I would have to take "grin"

Does that make sense? or help at all?

Now lets say I'm sending to Linda, that's easy! A bottle of Baileys with a rope tied to it, then when the bottle is empty she can hang it in a tree and whala! A birdhouse! ROFL!!

Vic

o

LOLOL@Vic...uhhuh..hmm..I'll have to give that some thought..."eyeing up Bailey's bottle"...
Wendy, sorry to hear you're having a rough day...((HUG)go sit in your garden and take 5..it may help!

okay, if I was sending to someone I don't know..which since I'm fairly new, could be alot of people.."L"...I like to sometimes find out their favorite color. Then I will make a box up of whatever I can find in that color. Plants/seeds/bulbs, windchimes, garden stakes, pretty frig magnets, pots, notepaper, candles, soaps..things along that line.

o

Thanks for the welcome, Linda. Think I'll grab one of those burgers and sit over there under that tree. Oh,and I can't resist one of those brownies. They look so good.

When sending to someone I don't know, I start by trying to find things that go along with the theme that month. This month is easy. Then I just add whatever I find that either fits their interests or has a garden theme. We all like anything garden or flower related.

Sandy

o

"pulling fresh chocolate chip cookies out of the oven"..here Sandy, try one of these along with the brownie.."munching on a warm gooey cookie"

o

***funny how you mention "munching" after the brownies***

haven't been feeling to "up" today, so not gonna say too much tonight. no reason for it, just feeling a bit down today. hopefully I'll be better tomorrow....

o
re: mnf update!!

***********NEWS FLASH**********
(sorry...always wanted to do that)

update on Round Robin

debya-deb
nikkineel-nikki
suze62-suzi
sassybutterfly-wendy
dan the mailman-dan
veeja11-carol
vic zn5-vic
ladygreensleeves
lindaruzicka-linda
ejmoore510-Joan
shadymeadow-sandy
ishareflowers-lisa

and maybe jaleeisa-kathy
maybe proundgm

o

Did somebody mentiong Brownies and Hot Chocolate Chip Cookies?! Oh man! I am seriously craving both of those right now. Pass the plate please!

o

well Linda .. I did go out in my garden, such as it is this season due to lil time to work in it... and I stepped in a nice big pile of dog poop.

*sighh.. this day's almost over right? lol

mmmm choc chip cookies... brownies... I feel like a few pity me pounds are in order here! lol

Hugs all,
Wendy

o

awww...Wendy...you've had a really rotten day!! Here have some Bailey's in a nice hot cup of tea..that should help...

o

Hi all,
Can I join the party? I'll take a Baily's without tea please. I'm a round robin N00b - but your're having so much fun I want to dive right in. Looking forward to getting to know you all better.

kim

o

Carefull of those brownies, Dan and his girl who likes herb made them and I think there may be a little herb in them. I've been happy and hungry since I ate one. another martini please. happy gardening
carol

o

Kim,
Baileys WITHOUT the tea huh?!? Why sure you can join! You'll fit right in!

Tracy,
We've got to keep an eye out, I think there is another amongst us that might need a trip to see "Betty" LOL

Awww, Wendy, have a couple brownies! They made Carol happy! Maybe it will make you happy too!

Vic

o

HI Kim..glad to have you join us, we always enjoy meeting new people..."pouring Bailey's in empty tea cup"...."G"

o

Wow, I thought you all just had 'fun' on the weekend... but much to my delight - it is all week long! LOL

Count me in - love the little birdies! I want to have lots of feeders this year and hope that if I get enough of the smaller ones it will keep the Canadian Geese on the pond where they belong instead of making 'messes' in my yard and drive!

Kathy - WAHOOO! you have a job :) and how fun that you get to work with the plants. That is the first department I go to when I visit WM! I think the 'plant people' are pretty good where I go - I have got some real nice plants and quite a few really good deals! I hope your Cliff is doing well and the van is behaving.

Paula & Kim,
These people are CRAZY! I don't join in on their 'PARTYS' often but when I do, it takes me days to recover! My glass is never even 1/2 emtpy and with all the snacks my diet is totally shot! But from what I can remember - it is always a GREAT time! LOL

too-cute-bird-and-cat
Marie

o

Hi Marie! Yeah, the party never stops at MNF!.."handing over a totally full glass and some chocolate chip cookies"....glad you could make it!

o
RE: new questions

Here's two new questions just to find out a little more about everyone:

What is your very very favorite or favorites seed/bulb/plant that you are drooling over?????

And why do you want that particular seed/bulb/plant?

o

oooh great question Linda! and since I have very lil experience at all w/ bulbs... only a few passed along iris and daylilys.. it gives me the PERFECT excuse to spend the next hour researching that question! hehe

If only I had a bank account to cover all my flowering wish lists! lol

Hugs,
Wendy

o

Hey All!

proundgm, don't forget to check out their Exchange list (you never know what your partner may be wanting that you have a ton of) I always look there first. Most of the people in this group have at least a few things on their exchange list, some even include some special "for Swappers" stuff. Also exchanging emails is very nice way to MNF (make new friends) lol

Kathy what a great catch for a job! (I know retail can be rough, but it souds like heaven to me)

linda
I have so many faves..... but this spring I found a very special bulb, Uva-Vulpis Fritillary I just fell in love with these little flowers and now cannot get enough, I love the little nodding flowers, just darling. I thought they were just wierd at first!

Hope you are all having a great day! Have fun everyone, will pop in and say HEY! whenever I can, we have just been pounded by the edges of Fay! YAY! for water!!!!

Frances

o

(taking the seats out of the van, throwing down a mattress) Ok Vic, I think I'm ready to add that "certain someone" for our trip to BF! I figure when we kidnap them we can just toss them in the back and keep going. Who needs seats? We can just pile them on top of each other. LOL!

o

*plops a beanbag on the side of the road, grabs my bottle o' Bailey's... and waits happily for Tracy to swing by here too! :P

***STILL on my bum looking (drooling) at all the various bulbs to be had... *sighh! :)

Hugs ya'll,
Wendy

o

Hello Everyone! Just popped in to say I'm heading to Michigan for hopefully just the weekend. Dan's mother called at lunchtime, and apparently he's not feeling too well. She said the doctor said he'd be okay, but he needs someone to stay with him for a few days. I'll let you know more after I get there and talk with him.

Happy Labor Day Weekend Everyone!

-Paula

o

Tracy, I see you got Dan in the van already! He looks pretty happy with his head hanging out the window! He must think that going to BF means "brownie finding"!! ROFL!

Vic

o

Have a safe trip Paula! Take good care of our Dan! Hope it's just a 24 hour bug! I'm sure he'll perk up with you there. :) We'll try not to get in to too much trouble while ya'll are recuperating. (whistling & looking up at the ceiling innocently.)
*then sliding a bottle of tequila in a bag and heading down the drive to wait on Tracy to stop for her after she picks up Wendy!

Joan

o

hmm I hope Dan's ok! I'm sure he'll flourish with you taking care of him Paula! Whatta testimony to how much you two 'dig' eachother! (couldn't help the gardening pun...)

Wow... tequila, bailey's, herb enhanced brownies... can u imagine the ruckus a van full of drunk gardeners could cause!! LOL driveby seed snatching.. casing all the big neighborhoods of what we can sneak up and get cuttings of...who brought the pruners for the cuttings? huh huh? lol

ok so one of my lil lab pups came in from outside and her muzzle is seriously swollen up.. I'm guessing she probably ate and got stung by a yellow jacket cuz they're alot out there... I looked up online and found I could give her 1/2 a benadryl, tried to put ice on her muzzle.. u can imagine how well THAT went over! Made a baking soda paste.. she licked that right off too.. dang stubborn dog! Hopefully the benadryl will help some.. worries me how big her face is! But I can't take her to the vet cuz the stupid van is in the shop still!

oh.. and the shop called and it looks like it might just be a new transmission that's needed.... there goes all my seed/bulb/plant wishlists! ARRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

ugghhhh

anywho.. I like the visual of the drunken gardeners.. that'll make me laugh for awhile :)

Hugs ya'll,
Wendy

o

Paula, Please let us know how Dan is doing, AND Please drive carefull!!

Wendy, You poor thing! I hope things start looking better soon!! Try rub a bannana peel on his snout, it will help with the swelling, if you have one. (at least it helps with ppl!)

Also!!
I need some help please!
If anyone has power point could I email you something and have you open it and email or fax back to me please!!! It's for a job app. and I can't open it!!

Thanks a Bunch
Vicky

o

Linda - You want us to pick just one? I want them ALL : ) I had a huge list of Daylily's laying on my desk - ya know those ones that cost 1/2 a pay check?? - and the cleaning lady tossed it !

Now that Linda has started me on my first one... the 10 gallon party ball is full, good thing I put those extra mower wheels on it, my thumb is out & I'm waiting on Tracy's PARTY BUS...
magicbus-1

o

Got my thing opened!! (that didn't sound too good did it! LOL)

THANKS DIENE!! I had no idea it was a slide show! LOL

Now off to tend to the sick child, UHG! poor little guy, says his head, nose, ears, feet, mouth, hands and everything in between hurt! One of those yucky summer colds!!

Tracy, I'm not sure that everyone knows just where your "party bus" is going to! LOL

Linda, one bulb I've been wanting really bad are those Fritillaria imperialis red, I just love those, but oooo they are expensive! And Blue sea holly (Eryngium alpinum) And there are many more too! I'll have to do some looking!

Vic

o

geez Paula, I hope Dan feels better...I really didn't put THAT much Bailey's in his tea! I'm glad you're going to be there to take care of him. You'll get to meet his furry kids too..."L"

drunken gardeners..that would be a riot to see, wouldn't it? Picking seeds off flowers, snagging seeds off bushes, hiding under porches..yeah..we could get into ALOT of trouble..."L"

I thought it would be interesting to see what kind of flowers other gardeners drool over...mine is Russian sage (I want this really BAD) and Lenton rose. I wonder how they would do in my weather. I always thought Lenten roses looked not quite real, if you know what I mean!

Wendy, sorry to hear about your van..OUCH..that's gonna hurt!

Vic..hope your little guy feels better!

o

Yikes! I may have to rent a trailer for all these partiers! Vic, I think you're right, they haven't got a clue where the funny bus is going, ROFLOL! Yeah, come on in, pull up a square of mattress and hang on kids! We're going to Oz! Uh huh!

Paula, good luck and have a safe trip. Tell Dan I hope he is feeling better.

Wendy, that poor puppy! If you don't have luck getting him to swallow the pill you can always do the benadryl liquid. There is also a Benadryl cream. My 7 year old is allergic too and swells up like a balloon. Nasty business with bees this time of year. They seem to get a little aggressive toward the end of summer and into the fall.

o

umm..exactly where IS this bus going? not that I mind.. I don't think...lol

The puppy's all well now, the benadryl seemed to do the trick, I just took 1/2 a pill and put it in the cat's canned food.. the stuff she's always trying to eat anyways! lol The swelling is just about all gone now.. wow I should've taken a pic.. that was so WEIRD looking.. she looked like a cartoon pup or somethin'.

Linda ~ have you tried to grow the Russian Sage from seed?

Gotta go do dishes 'n laundry 'n other fun stuff like that. :)

Hugs,
Wendy

o

Wendy, glad to hear you pup's face is back to normal..poor puppy!

No I haven't tried to grow the Russian Sage from seed...might have t give that a shot though..."pondering"

o

Wendy, don't worry about where the bus is going! Just sit back and enjoy the ride! "G"

Linda, Russian sage is on my list too! I love em. They grow so good out here, they are like giant purple bushes! I'm guessing they like it DRY! I had one in MI and it didn't come back the next year.

Hmmm, I wonder if this has something to do with the bump on the head Dan got??

Vic

o

well, if they like it dry, I have the perfect spot...or two or three..."L"

hmmm...maybe Dan had a bit too much Bailey's.."holding empty bottle upside down and shaking it"

o

Like Vic said - doesn't matter where we go as long as we get to go!

but... since we are going to OZ - we need flying monkeys LOL
Flying Monkeys

Paula - Put the Baileys out of Dan's reach - he will recover much quicker :)

o

Anyone want 2 lab pups?!?!?! The lil )!#($!)#$)!& knocked over, dug thru, and chewed up 6 pots of plants on my porch this morning!

Then they look at me wagging their tails and thinking WEEEEEEEEEEE What else ya got!?! hmppff!!

~Wendy

o

Heh heh, yep it's dry all right! ROFL! Come on in the van my pretty... Love the flying monkeys! Hillarious!

Ok, I just wanted to let everyone know that we have the Excel spreadsheet up and running with all the monthly participants of Make New Friends. We all know that we aren't big on lots of rules and regulations in this group but we are VERY big on making new friends and keeping old ones happy in our trades.

The spreadsheet is to just keep an accounting of who is swapping in each monthly exchange and to show that each person has sent and received their boxes. Each host/hostess is responsible for updating it as the swap progresses and then sends it back to me. Then I will update the spreadsheet for the next swap and send it on to the new host/hostess to maintain.

If there are any members that haven't completed an exchange then their GW id is on the current month's spreadsheet as restricted until such time as they send a make up box to their past partner or the host sent a make-up box on their behalf.

Don't worry if you don't have excel on your pc at home if you are one of our hosts. I am happy to maintain it for you if you aren't able to do so. Just please update partners and sending once a week during the exchange so that it is easy to follow along. This helps remind us that the sending date is nearing for any of us that have gotten a little busy and may fall behind. If something is going on in your life and you are going to be late sending a box, just post a note here on the boards so your partner isn't wondering what happened. That let's everyone breathe easier.

I am still going through old swaps trying to update the exchanges from the last year. It is taking some time but is gradually getting there. We are a fun group who loves having new people join in the sharing of plants and our lives. I'm so glad to have gotten to meet such wonderful people. It wouldn't have been possible without Diene and her wonderful MNF group that she started. It has been so much fun watching it grow into what it is today.

Thanks!
Tracy

o

Wow Tracy, you are pretty busy!!
I don't even know how many mnf swaps I've been in LOL
I think just a couple last yr.

Paula,
Please let us know when you get to MI and how Dan is doing.
Also, if you would like to join in the sept swap, feel free to dig up some of Dan's plants when he's not looking and take them back to NY with ya, then you will have some plants to send!! "G"

Vic

o

ok. Grasshoppers.. awful ugly disgusting creeeepy monsters. How do YOU get rid of them? I did a search on GW and there's lots of people that talk about taking pruners and cutting off their heads in the early morning hours. I guess if I must I can manage that... I just don't wanna get squirted w/ grasshopper juice or somethin'. (any stomachs rolling out there? lol) It's too late for the stuff to kill eggs, these badboys are about 3" long and growing. and they have chewed down my cannas, iris, daylilys,working on my one and only weeping cherry tree. I've had enough! I was just out there with a pair of kitchen tongs trying to catch the lil buggers w/ them so I wouldn't have to TOUCH them... had me running all across my yard w/ my tongs... I can't imagine what the people driving by thought was wrong with me..lol And I didn't catch a damn one. I did make one jump into a spider's web tho, so I had a nice time watching him die... help?

~Wendy

o

ROFL!!!! - Wendy, I'm so sorry! I know I shouldn't laugh but the image of you running around the yard pinching with the tongs at what wou would look like nothing to passersby is hilarious! If a paddy wagon pulls up in your front drive - hurry and lock yourself in the house because they've called the nut house to pick you up! Bless your heart! If I was there I'd squash them for you. Would garden sevin not work on them??

Joan

o

I know I know.. I'm laughin' at myself too.. I really should stop and consider once in awhile how what I'm doing looks to everyone.. I live RIGHT off of a major hwy in the front and a very busy side road... *sighhh

Now that I think of it...earlier today I was walkin up to the house after putting some clothes on the clothesline and I'd stuck the laundry basket on my head, my arms out to my sides like I was balancing on a highwire, I was humming some kinda circus music song... before I quickly realized the few ppl that passed by gave me some awful odd looks. I seriously need to think before I act on the odd things my brain tells me to do!

Any one else w/ embarrassing yard antics they got caught doing??? please don't let me be the ONLY weirdo....

:)
~Wendy

ohh and Joan ~ I'm afraid to use the Sevin Dust cuz I have 2 dumb dogs that try to lick and eat every dang thing.. and a cat that loveessss to lick things as well.. in fact I used to use that Icy Hot creme and everytime I did she'd perv me to death trying to lick it off of wherever I put it.. would even lick the pillows after I'd get up. I would often catch her on my dresser licking the tips of my lotion bottles as well..

They grow really strange animals down here in GA I think..

o

ROFLMBO!!!!!!
Joan, how can we NOT laugh at that!
I'm picturing her running around the hard with tongs IN her warrior outfit!!! LOL (Sorry Wendy, just had to say that!)
IF you do find a kill for them lmk, I have 1000's!! When I walk through the yard they are ALL OVER it's terrible! I even keep my windows up on the van till I get out of the driveway b/c I've had them jump into it! One landed on my head!! YUCK!!!!
Wendy, next time you go out with the tongs, or any other kitchen utensils, will you please hook up the web cam and point it out the window so we can all watch!!!

o

Wendy that is hilarious, I have that picture permanently fixed in my brain now! But I can't laugh at you, my neighbors probably think I am a mad woman too! Chasing squirrels (I am actually getting quite good at knocking them off the fence with the hose end sprayer) They are driving me mad! Blast those evil tomato theiving beasts!
GRRRRRRR! Bad enough there are bits of half eaten pecans all over the lawn now they want the tomatoes too!!!!

lol lol lol

Frances

o

Hmmm! I think the worst I do is run outside in my underwear to the clothesline! Which, believe me, that's definitely hilarous in itself! :) But I live out in the STICKS hon! And my front yard is an acre deep off the road I'm on, so about all that sees me is the neighbor's horses in the pasture by my house. Come to think of it, those horses do spend alot of time at the fence by my backyard. And here I thought that was because I feed them carrots! LOL! I'm probably the standing joke in horse language! I don't think the sevin dust would hurt your animals though. I actually rub my outside dogs down in it outside for flea control and put it in their doghouses. Now, I don't mean they can scarf down a whole bag! But within reason. I use it regularly on my veggie plants in the garden, so I would think it would be pretty safe. I know it sends the grasshoppers flying out of beans too!

Joan

o

Wendy - I have an 8 month old lab puppy at my house that is just like yours! Just this morning she ate the medal drain plug to my kitchen sink, then my nail brush from the bathroom, my cooshy toilot seat and riped down my new $30 shower curtain! GRRRRRR

I am sure that Seven will not hurt them. Pearl has ate about 2 1/2 pounds of it in one sitting and 2 pkg. of ant bait a day later. It didn't even give her an upset tummy! Wasn't it John Wayne that said "ya, gotta be tough, if your going to be stupid." He must have had a black lab puppy.... I keep trying to remind myself how happy and excited I was when she first came to live at my house...

As per the embarassing yard incidents? I hate grasshoppers more than any other insect any where! I lived on a farm with my nearest neighbor 9 miles away. No one ever came down my road as I was the last house on it. One day I am in a strapless sun dress and taking the trash to the dumpster that is like the length of a football field from the house. One of those NASTY creatures jumps up my dress and is clinging to me just above my belly button!! Like a speeding bullet my dress come flying off over my head, my feet are moving up and down stamping the ground in a very rapid beat as I fling the dress as far as possible! As I catch my breath and look up, there are 2 pickups stopped about 15 feet in front of me, each with 2 lost cowboys that are looking for a roping and me with only a tiny strip of cloth to cover the lower portions of my body!! Everyone in the county knew about my little strip tease. It only took about 2 years for the laughter to come down to a dull roar, when I would walk into a public place....

Marie

o

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so sorry for laughing guys! I thought I was the only one these kind of things happened to! I've laughed so hard, I'm crying! Whew!!!!!!!!
Now, as for the puppies chewing things up! I accidentally discovered something that has worked with the 2 little female puppies that someone dumped down the road and I picked up. I was trying to be "Green" and picked up some all natural flea & tick spray up at Walmart. I think it's called "Natures' something or other" in a green bottle. Anyway, it has cinnamon & peppermint oils, etc. And I thought what the heck! I'll try it. I mean how bad can it be if they smell like a piece of Big Red chewing gum? Right? Well, WRONG!!!! I sprayed just a little bit on them and they went berserk! I meaning running, rolling, crazy! PLUS, the smell was SO STRONG, my son told me he was getting a headache from them lying OUTSIDE ON THE FRONT PORCH and he was inside with all the doors closed!
So, when they started chewing on my wicker rocker, I thought HMMMMMMMMM! I sprayed it and it worked like a charm! You have to reapply about every week, but the whole bottle was like 5 dollars and it only takes a squirt!
And I DO MEAN 1 SQUIRT! Or you'll need a gas mask!!
Course the neighbors probably think I've got some kind of Cinna/peppermint Schnapps still out back! :)

Joan

o

Hello Everyone,
I wanted to let you all know that I'm here with Dan now, and that he's safe. He's dealing with some health issues at the moment, but his doctor is helping him with them, he'll be going through some more tests next week after the holiday, and eventually things will be fine again. You may find it a bit difficult to believe, but Dan is a very private person, especially when it comes to his health. I will be staying here until next weekend, at least, so I will keep you posted on his condition until he feels like coming online.
Dan has asked me to you all to have a good weekend, and a safe one. I'm adding my warm wishes to his for you all. Thank you being such a great group of friends to Dan, and to me!
And Vic? I'm not going to be joining any swaps or doing any trading. I'm here to get to know you all, have some fun, and be a part of what has become a big part of Dan's life. He thoroughly enjoys the company of you all, he talks about you and what's going on all the time, and I even got to share being in his August trades. That was fun, and I'll be sharing in his trades in the future. So, I guess what I'm trying to say is, I want to be a part of this part of Dan's life, and even though I'm not actively trading with one of you, if you are trading with Dan, you are also trading with me.
And now it's time for me to get off my soapbox and take him out for dinner. He says there's a little drive-in that makes the best burgers and malteds, so that's where we are going tonight.
Have a good night!

-P

o

Paula, thank you for updating us on how Dan is doing. I know how some things are very personal. Please let him know that my thoughts and prayers are with the two of you as you get through this.

Tracy

o

Thanks so much for the update, Paula. Give Dan our love and prayers. He's become a very large part of our lives as well. I will keep him in my prayers and have lit a candle for healing with a prayer for him. And another for strength, comfort and peace for both of you. I'm not sure if you, or even Dan, know but I am of the Wiccan faith. So I will keep these candles lit each day with a prayer for him. They are new candles and newly blessed. Not sure what your beliefs are, but for me, these have strength and I hope it is not offensive to either of you.

Please keep us up to date, as you've seen, there is great concern for Dan in this group. I think I can speak for us all in saying that we are all very happy that he has you and that you are there to comfort and care for him. I know whatever is wrong is much easier for him to deal with with you by his side, lending love and strength. And we, his "sisters" in gardening, find great comfort in knowing that you are with him and he is not going through this alone. You are a blessing to all of us, amazing how that happens, isn't it? :)

Bright blessings to you both.

Kathy

o

Hi, all,

Just thought I'd pop in to say Hi. Was hoping I'd feel well enough to play this month, but still no improvement. Maybe October will be better :)

Hope you all have a great Labor Day weekend!

Allison

o

Paula,
Thanks so much for letting us know. I'm glad you are there with him, and I'm sure it is a huge comfort for him.

I understand him wanting to keep things personal, and I am just glad he has you to care for him and to let us know how he is doing.

You are both in my thoughts and prayers also.

Take care,
Vicky

o

Linda....

I am about to jump in to my pool with a pitcher of Margarita's and a bottle of Charodonnnnnnnay in hand. I am cruising around the ROUND ROBBIN EXCHANGES....rarely do it...this sounds like fun! I am in for MNF FLOWERS, FEATHERS AND FUN!!!

Be well Dan...nice to meet you Paula...and all the others here at MNF.....................

Off to the swamp.......................

Annie

o

Hey there and Howdy-Do! I wanted to take a moment and let you all know I'm still here, and doing okay. Things could be better, but they could be a lot worse too. Paula's been telling me what you guys have been saying, and all I can say is, it's great to have such an awesome bunch of friends!
Anyway, Paula's telling me that breakfast is ready, and I'd better come get it while it's still hot. So, the master beckons and I must go.....

Take care, have yourselves a good weekend, and I'll talk to y'all later.

-Dan

o

Annie! So glad you could come and play.."handing over sparkling wine glass after rubbing it on sleeve".."G"

Allison, I hope you feel better..if you don't want to play, stop in for a cup a nice tea and good conversation...((HUG))

and Wendy, Joan and Marie...you guys have my sides hurting from laughing so hard and my animals think I'm nuts..."L"..you guys crack me up!

Hi dan and Paula..I"m glad you're feeling better Dan, maybe you just needed some TLC from your favorite lady..."S"

o

Wendy maybe my dh's cabbage moth remedy will work for your grasshoppers, he has two badmitten raquet's and he catces it between the two, it falls to the ground and he squishes it with one, funny to watch but works well. Think two lab pups can wreck a garden try 8 jack russell pups, hope they get sold soon, while I still have plants left. Dan, get well
big healing hugs and prayers for you. with Paula there making brownies you should be well soon. I wanna know the cough drop story. are you pregnant ? you just had your first visit with Paula ? No worries I'm sure she will take care of you. big hugs carol

o
come on october!!!

HEY!!! I'VE GOT SOME HUGE, BIG NEWS!!!

PAULA'S MOVING HERE IN OCTOBER!!! We've been talking over the weekend, and when she goes back to New York Paula's giving her notice at work and where she lives, and she's moving here to live with me the first week of October! Yesterday she helped me clean out my bedroom closet so she'd have her half, and today we're going to start working on the office, getting it cleaned out and organized so she'll have room in there to put her office stuff. Paula's met a lot of my family, and they've all done their part by welcoming her and making her feel like part of the family. I think what really sealed the deal for them all was knowing she dropped everything and came running last week.
In the next few days, we're going to go shopping for a new bed and couch.
I FEEL LIKE A NEW MAN!!!

Hope everyone else is having a good weekend too!

-Dan

o

"throwng confetti and releasing balloons"...HURRAH!! Great news Dan.."giving Paula a big hug"....I'm soooooooo happy for the both of you!!!

o

Dan & Paula, that's GREAT news!!

I've got good news too...... it rained on & off all day yesterday and all night!! Everything is soaking wet!! Yeah!!

o

Congrats! Paula and Dan!!!

Bravo Paula! I did the same thing as you, 9 years ago and have never looked back! Best Wishes to both of you!

Frances

o

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

You'll never guess what is going on here, but I think it's simply adorable! You would think that Labor Day we would be grilling hamburgers, and having potato salad, slaw, and all the other fixings, right? Not in this house! While Dan's sister and brother-in-law are out grilling with his parents, MY MAN is in the kitchen, cooking a turkey breast! Yes, I said he's cooking a turkey breast! And not only is he doing that, but he is making sausage/cherry stuffing for dinner too! I love this man! He is making the stuffing from scratch, even going so far as to dry out the bread in the oven. When I asked him if I could help, he told me to relax and stay out of the kitchen. He didn't have to tell me twice!
Apparently, the dinner menu is turkey, his homemade stuffing, squash casserole, baked potatoes, green beans, sliced tomatoes, and lemon sorbet for dessert. We're going to have to take a longer walk than usual tonight, after eating all of that!
You all enjoy your burgers, hot dogs, and the fixings. I'm having myself some Thanksgiving dinner!
I can't wait to see what he does during the holidays! Knowing Dan, anything is possible!

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!

-Paula Coates
(not yet, but trying it out anyway!)

o

Hmmm.....Paula, I thought you were there to take care of Dan! LOL
You must have gotten him better really fast! I'm glad to hear he is feeling better.
Paula Coates.......sounds like it fits good!

o

Congrats Dan and Paula!

I think I hear bells off in the distance. Grin! Good for you guys. Dinner sounds wonderful. What time should I come over with the family? You don't mind adding 7 plates to the table do you? Happy Labor Day!

Tracy

o

Seek Codes
MySpace  Graphics
MySpace Graphics

The More The Merrier! Come On Over!

You don't if I kiss the cook, do you? As if that would stop me! LOL!

Seek Codes
MySpace  Graphics
MySpace Graphics

o

hmmm..Paula Coates..has a nice ring.."G"..hey, we'll be right there too...add some more plates!.."packing up all 7 cats and stuffing them in the car"...

o

The neighbor's cat wants to come to but has a question for you...

o

Hey there! It took me two nights to finally read through this thread, but I finally got here! Congrats Pat and Dan! I'd like to get in on this trade, so keep me posted.

o

Tracy, tell the neighbor's cat that yes, I have catnipz, but Bump and Jason sell it by the ounce. I have a couple of feline stoners here. If I'd known they were gonna be like this, I'd have named them Cheech and Chong! LOL!!!

I'm stuffed. Gotta go for a walk now, see ya later! Paula's taking me for more tests tomorrow, so keep your fingers crossed for me!

-Dan

o

Hi prairewinds, welcome! C'mon in and join the crowd.."handing over a burger and a beer"...

o

Awesome, I'll pass the message on to Chloe! LOL! Cheech and Chong, huh, maybe they can get used to some new names. I am wishing you lots of luck tomorrow Dan. I hope all comes out well for you.

Welcome Prairiewinds! Would you like a beverage? I think Dan will be back shortly with a list of cocktails that he is conjuring up tonight. Your turn! Tell us a little bit about you please?! Any embarassing gardening moments?

:o)
Tracy

o

Hey Prairiewinds! Welcome to MNF! I believe we met over at RMG, I do still pop in there from time to time, but as you can see these guys will keep ya pretty busy over here! LOL

Dan, GOOD LUCK!!
Hmmm......I wonder if there has ever been a GW wedding???

I can't wait to find out who my partner is!! This is going to be a fun swap!!

Vic

o

I can't wait to find out who mine will be either..."L". I'm going to have Jeff pick out names, he'll be a good one for it...just throw them in a hat and pull them out.

o

Okay, okay, okay. Before any of you start hearing wedding bells, or making plans to "decorate" the car, let me say this. Paula and I are going to live together, not get married, as of this October. IF, and I do mean IF, we decide to get married, we'll let you know. Until then, we're gonna shack up and pretend we're married, y'hear? We're gonna live together, shack up, cohabitate, get to know one another biblically, live in sin, etc, etc, etc. You supply whichever euphemism you like. Just don't go getting us married, because no one has asked anyone to get married, yet.
Give us time.
We have a lot of getting-to-know-one-another to do yet.

Now, as for the "drink of the night", we're enjoying a nice little reisling wine we picked up at the renassaince festival in Stirling New York. Unfortunately, Paula won't allow me to have more than a single glass of it since the doctor drew more blood out of me for more tests today. Good thing for him he's a friend of mine!

Have a good night everyone!

Dan & Paula

o

"putting away confetti and caging doves"...shesshhhh Dan, what a spoilsport..."G"

o

Psst! Linda, he said "yet". Don't give up.
Of course we would never do any helping, emmm , I mean interfering Dan! (looking up at the ceiling innocently with fingers crossed behind her back...)

Joan

o

oh no, there'd never be any interference from you ladies, none at all! HA!!! (lol!)

Joan, I got your box today, THANK YOU! Just one question though, what's the larger plant?

o

Well Dan, all I've got to say is.........

o

Sorry Dan, can't help you out there. See, Miss Paula wasn't trying on shoes in that there post, she was trying on last names! LOL!

Mmmmmmm, riesling eh? One of my favorites. Second to my Gewurtztraminer! Yummmmmmmm!

Paula, careful when you're sipping out of your glass, there might be something in the bottom of it. No, not a mickey, I think I see something shiney! (evil grin from ear to ear from teasing Dan mercilessly).

o

go ahead, tease me. you do it well.

lol!!!

o

Good morning all!
Dan - it's red canna. (Forgot the label!) No wonder the box took so long to get there! (Not marked priority) We have an elderly lady that works at the local post office & she gets a little confused. Bless her heart! I know I specified priority, but she probably forgot! We all LOVE her to death though, so she's worth a little confusion now and then. :) Glad I soaked all the plants for a couple of days before sending though.
Ewww! Vic! Please DON'T tell me where you found that picture. Don't want to know. HA! Good one though!
Dan - if we didn't luv u, we wouldn't tease you. You know?

Joan

o

Could you all do Dan a favor? I know he doesn't believe in prayer, but I do. Some of the blood tests came back today, and things aren't looking good. They are revealing more than what anyone thought they would, and that's all Dan is willing to let me say. I'll let you know more later. I don't think he's going to be online for the next few days, not in the mood he's in right now. So please, keep him in your prayers, would you?

o

Dan & you both will be in my thoughts & prayers.

Joan

o

Welcome to all the new MNF's!

Dan & Paula~ you guys are in my thoughts.

Vic~ That was SOOOOO gross!!!Not really hungry anymore...

I didn't sell not a darn thing on Mon. Finally got the donation people to pick up ALL the leftovers today. Will have to remind the kids NOT to buy back their toys when we go junk shopping there!! LOL!!

later...April/dirt

o

Dan and Paula....my thoughts and prayers!

Annie

o

Hi,
I do believe in prayer! I'll say one for you Dan, tonight. Things will get better, have faith. ;)
I have a blood level/iron of 40, the norm is 100 (low end). I'm severly anemic and somehow I'm like the energizer bunny. How or why, I'll never know. Again, it's faith and vitamins!
Photobucket

Hugs,
Deb

o

Dan and Paula, I am praying for you too. There has been many times when the only thing that saw me through has been prayer. I love laying still and telling God about my day, asking Him for some guidance and strength. Sometimes it is hard to make myself start the "talk" that I need to have with Him but it always helps me.

The answers are not always obvious but usually within a short time I see things a bit clearer and have a path to move forward on. If you don't believe in prayer then try meditation. Thinking quietly to yourself has a wonderful effect on your mind, body and soul.

Hugs,
Tracy

o
Need prayers for Dan..big time!!

Ladies,
We need prayers for Dan big time....a while back he had a lump removed from his chest that was cancerous. He had it treated and it was gone. The blood work showed that it's active again.

So everyone say prayers in whatever form of faith that you believe in. Let's help get Dan and Paula through this.

o

Dan and Paula,
You are both in my thoughts and prayers, keep your chin up Dan, there are a lot of great treatments these days.
And if you believe in any of the natural remedies, I've heard blueberries, and lots of em. Also, there are certain types of mushrooms that are also very high in antioxidents. Jamie's sister is an RN and she swears that 2 ppl she knew were cured with this, I don't know and haven't done much research on it, but it can't hurt!

Take care both of you!
Vic

o

Dan and Paula, I will continue to keep you in my prayers and meditations. I know that you don't hold faith in prayer, but positive energy is coming your way in waves. I know it is a very difficult time, and one that you are not in the mood to speak of much. I know what you two are going through. Shortly after the birth of my next to youngest son, my stepmother was diagnosed. Hers had already spread too far before being diagnosed.

When my youngest son was a year old, my favorite uncle passed after a 15 year remission. Even my stepmother had several years to enjoy life after her diagnosis, even with it having spread so far there wasn't much that could be done to treat it.

If you can have faith in nothing else, have faith in the fact that you are a strong individual who has much left to share with the world. Have faith in the woman at your side who loves you, and your family who does as well. Have faith in the doctors who found this quickly.

I had not left off of my prayers and meditations for both of you. In addition to healing and strength (light blue and red), I will also be lighting a pure white beeswax candle, one of the few left to me by my mentor, which holds her blessings and meditations for purity, faith and energy.

I hope you feel well enough to join us and just hang out and talk. About anything. Gardening is a way of cleansing the soul and mind. And your friends here love you and hold faith for you that this will be well.

Kathy

o
Swap Update!!

update on Round Robin

debya-deb
nikkineel-nikki
suze62-suzi
sassybutterfly-wendy
dan the mailman-dan
veeja11-carol
vic zn5-vic
ladygreensleeves
lindaruzicka-linda
ejmoore510-Joan
shadymeadow-sandy
ishareflowers-lisa
misskimmie-Kim
wynative-Marie
cayonwind-Annie
prairiewinds

and maybe jaleeisa-kathy
maybe proundgm

Have I gotten everyone so far?

o

Looks good to me Linda, matches up with what I have on the list so far.

Dan, I just don't know how to say how sorry I am that you are going through this. Please know that I am wishing you my very best. You can beat this. You have a wonderful partner, some good friends, and the full support of your family. I hope you can feel the love that is surrounding you and are open to accepting the strength of their love. You are a strong person with a heart of gold.

Here is a link that might be useful: Listen to this...

o

Dan & Paula,
I'm sure you both know we are all here for you both.

Also.... has anyone heard from Marie? I'm worried about her, she hasn't returned any of my emails and I haven't seen her post lately...

o

I don't think she's posted since her grasshopper down the dress/cowboy story..which was funny..."L"

o
new question..

now the the end of gardening season is drawing to a close..at least outside...how are some of the ways you gather and dry seeds?

o

I've been gathering my Pink Coral Nymph salvia after they've dried on the plant and stick the stalks upside down in a paper bag to shake the seeds out.

I have Hosta Golden Tiara seed pods drying out in paper bags. When they dry and break I will separate the seeds from the chaff.

My Gaura seeds are so easy. I just strip them off the whip of the plant by running my fingers along it in a pinch and they pop off down into my hand. Those go right into seed packets that I make from parchment paper.

I have to start collecting some seeds from my clematis. They are finally turning to fluff. I can't collect those too early or they don't do anything. They have to dry on the vine as far as I've been able to tell so far.

I got some great seed pods on my daylily Moonlit Masquerade. I'm anxious to see what those will turn out looking like. I have no idea what they cross pollinated with so it will be a mystery. :o)

I have never collected seeds from heuchera before. Anyone have any experience in this? I'd love to gather some off my spent flowers. Do you wait until they're dried or can you take them when they are still green on the stem?

o

ohhh Dan I'm havin' a hard time with this entry.. but I know they've caught this early for you. There *IS* wonderful treatment out there, and you have a fantastic woman by your side, all your family AND your GW family supporting you wholeheartedly as well! Sending many prayers of healing, of direction, of peace your way!

Hugs,
Wendy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here