Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redheadedstepchild75

NEW: Epiphyllum/Rhipsalis/Rhipsalidopsis/Shlumbergia swap

Hello,

I thought it would be a whole lot of fun to start a cactus swap...and, I wanted to see how interested others would be in this idea.

I would hold sign-ups for the swap until September 20th, and all packages would need to be mailed out no later than September 30th. I will announce partners on September 21st.

All swaps would be mailed with delivery confirmation to be emailed to your partner so they could track the package, and then you could come back to the thread and post that you received it....maybe even tempt everyone with a picture of your goodies!

If you are interested you can reply to the thread with your wants and haves list....also include with your list anything you do not want to receive...so everyone is happy when we get partners.

The swap would consist of you sendning your partner atleast 4 cuttings of the above mentioned types of plants.

All cuttings would need to be atleast 5 inches long to ensure good rooting abilities.

Epi's can be marked with the name in sharpie marker directly on the branch cutting.....all other will need to be marked with their name directly on the packaging or by list...however you prefer.....but, having names are nice. lol

You can swap NOID plants, but please list that your cutting is a NOID in your haves list...as some people do not wish to receive NOID plants....so everyone can be partnered accordingly.

I want this thread to also in the meanwhile be an informative thread if anyone has any advice or questions regarding these plants.....there are so many wonderful collecters of these plants I'm certain this would become a most informative thread indeed! :)

I look forward to swapping with you!!!! :)

Frances AKA RED

Comments (57)

• redheadedstepchild75
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey Mary!!

You are fine...I'll be tweeking mine as we go along too! I just got some plants on Ebay.....can't wait til they get here! I might if i'm really really lucky have some blooms next spring! lol

• marygcks
    15 years ago

COOL I GOT SOME FROM EBAY TO...LOL SHOULD BE HERE TODAY

• redheadedstepchild75
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ohhhhh...Mary, were you the last minute sniper who outbid me on some auctions? lol

What did ya get?

I got:
    Chuck and Jerry
    Bright Beauty
    Emily Rose
    Day in Spring

and because of a booboo I also got Moriah and two other ones im not sure of yet.

• marygcks
    15 years ago

LIST 9/5/08
    Epiphyllum---YELLOW BELL
    Epiphyllum---TELE ANN
    Epiphyllum--- OXYPETALUM
    Epiphyllum--- MISS AMERICA
    Epiphyllum--- STRICTUM
    Epiphyllum--- DAVID W. GRANT
    Epiphyllum--- BLAZON
    Epiphyllum--- TELE
    Epiphyllum--- HIGH SOCIETY
    Epiphyllum---KINGS RANSOM
    Epiphyllum---TARANTULA
    Epiphyllum--- HUMDINGER
    Epiphyllum-NOID-PINK
    Epiphyllum-NOID -WHITE

• redheadedstepchild75
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm so excited!! lol That's an awesome list !!!

• marygcks
    15 years ago

SO HOW MANY IN THE SWAP SO FAR?
    can i put in some other things in the box ?
    thank s mary v

• ibartoo
    15 years ago

Sounds like I may need to go shopping too. LOL Can we have too many? Linda

• redheadedstepchild75
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ibartoo....did I mention that i'm a horrible enabler? lol

I made a new friend on ebay.....she has some wonderful plants....her shipping is exact...no inflation and she is a very knowledgable grower!

If anyone is into ebay purchasing ( I know there are some for, and some deeply against ebay) i'll be more than happy to share her info with you!!
    She sells only epi's, and she is a hybridizer.....as an extra with one of the orders I have received so far she sent me her newest registered hybrid....how cool is that? lol

• ibartoo
    15 years ago

Ok Frances, send me the info! LOL I have bought many plants on ebay too and some of my epis have come from a couple of sellers. I am going to check out what's on sale this week.LOL I have no idea where I will put everything for the winter.............

• redheadedstepchild75
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okay here is the seller info:

http://myworld.ebay.com/innone

Happy shopping! lol

• redheadedstepchild75
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I thought I'd ask you and see what you use to feed your epi's especially...but, any of the groups of plants in the swap?

I have started using beer once every 4 weeks on my plants....it seems to really be working too.
    I use 1/2 a bottle to a gallon of water. This last time I used AMber ROck...but, I'll use whatever I can get on the cheap. lol

Other times I use a 5/15/5 weak solution daily when I mist.

Do you mist?

Tell me how you care for your babies!!! :O)

• ibartoo
    15 years ago

I'll have to try the beer. I imagine the yeast would really help put oxygen into the soil. I have always used a real weak liquid fertilizer. Sometimes I add epsom salt or bone meal, but I burned a few that way too.....

it is so humid here, I don't dare mist anything.

• pchanggeo
    15 years ago

I would like to join please. I have about 30 blooming size epi's, plus another 40 or so smaller ones. Do you want me to list them here? I would like any of the other plants mentioned, especially named christmas/easter cactus. Thanks. Paul

• redheadedstepchild75
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Paul,
    Welcome to the RR!!
    You can list if you wish...or just exchange with your partner when you get paired up.

Completely up to you!!

• redheadedstepchild75
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Tell me if I have a problem.
    I took my husband to work today and had to take a detour down a road I am never on.
    As I was driving, I saw an enclosed porch with pots of plants hanging.....and low and behold I saw an Epi in there hanging.
    I got all giddy and excited....and almost went back to the house to see if the lady wanted to trade some cuttings. lol

It's a sick sick addiction, huh? lol

• pchanggeo
    15 years ago

Thanks. I will work on a list. I need to clean things up a bit.

I've used the beer/ammonia/epsom salt formula with good results on all my plants. I add a bit of worm tea to the mix. I use a low nitrogen fertilizer in the winter.

{{gwi:1274540}}

George E. Scott... lost this one a couple of years back during a freak freeze :-(.

• redheadedstepchild75
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OMG, I'm so sorry for your loss!!! It's a beauty!!

Do you have a recipe you use for the beer/epsom salt mixture?

• ibartoo
    15 years ago

Paul, welcome to the swap. Please share your beer/ammonia/epsom salt recipe. I have recently purchased ( yes before I joined this swap) about 15 different varieties, but those aren't rooted yet. I am looking now for some rooted cuttings that I can share.

Frances, My guys say I can spot a flower at 2 miles and a seed pod at 75 MPH! LOL I know the sickness you refer to very well.

• redheadedstepchild75
    Original Author
    15 years ago

LOL.....Eric says I spot too many plants! lol
    Last night I was watching some epi auctions on the bay going for crazy amounts! It was unbeleivable!
    Sad thing...I noticed one of the ladies who bought a lot...turned around and cut them up and sold them plants again....but, a lot were misnamed and even had vastly different flower pictures from the flower pictures in the auctions she won from other sellers.
    Why do some people have to be so shady......and it takes 3 years if you're lucky to get a bloom...by that time you don't even remember who you got it from.

• ibartoo
    15 years ago

I try to keep track of where I get them, but it never works. I have been trying to stay away from the auctions until I figure out how I will overwinter what I have.. LOL

DH promised me another greenhouse, but then renounced retirement and went back to work full time! Who knows now when or if the greenhouse will materialize.

I have read that they have to be rootbound to bloom, I have some really big ones in tiny pots, but I don't want to repot them till after they flower. The wait is killing me. I only had 1 bloom this year and the rain beat most of the flower off.

• pchanggeo
    15 years ago

Hello. I have to caution you about buying from unknown sellers on eBay, especially the more desirable ones. Anyone can cut up something and call it whatever, and you'll never know until several years down the line. I would only buy from known, reputable sources.

Beer formula as follows:
    1 12-oz can of beer (I get whatever's on sale)
    1 cup of epsom salt
    1/2 cup of household ammonia
    2 cups of water
    I mix the above in a milk jug. Sometimes I mix in a little bit of liquid fertilizer and/or superthrive, whatever is handy at the time. I also add some worm tea from my worm bin.

Add 1-2 tablespoons of the above mixture to a gallon of water. I do this about every other watering. I only use it during growing season but on everything from epi's to plumeria to daylilies. YMMV :).

{{gwi:1293980}}

This is "Julie." She doesn't grow too well and always looks kind of pale, but the flower is nice... and the name reminds me of someone (not my wife so don't tell her... LOL).

Thanks,
    Paul

• ibartoo
    15 years ago

Paul,
    Thanks for that recipe, I think i will mix some up this weekend, and Julie is beautiful. The only one that bloomed for me this year was april showers, but it was beautiful. After it bloomed, I bought a bunch from ebay, I sure hope I got the varieties that were listed.
    Linda

• redheadedstepchild75
    Original Author
    15 years ago

What a beautiful bloom!!!

I think that is a recipe i've seen......you do use it every two weeks during the growing season? You've never had any problems?

I am so scared of feeding my plants. lol
    I would be heartbroken if I over fed one and killed it!

• ibartoo
    15 years ago

Well, I don't know whether it was the dogs or the squirels, but something pulled up a bunch of epi cuttings that I was rooting! I have to start over now, I am thinking it must have been the dogs because the stems were not chewed. I guess it is time to set them up on tables anyway.
    Have any of you ever rooted them in ziploc bags?

• redheadedstepchild75
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I've never tried this method personally......but, I've read both sides of the issue on it! lol

If you go to epiforums and type in baggie method under the growing forum....you should get a really good perspective of how well or not so well it works. Some of them swear by it!
    I know me.....I'd rot something in a heatbeat using that method.....well....an epi anyway...I'd be okay with other things I think.
    I think I've also heard that using a colored bag...like a blue one works real well too.

• redheadedstepchild75
    Original Author
    15 years ago

only 5 more days!!! I'm so excited!!

• redheadedstepchild75
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I think it's pretty safe to say that we have everyone who is wanting to join in on this swap joined....dontcha think?

If you want me to assign partners now I can...but, I'll wait for what you all have to say about it before I just go and do it! lol

• ibartoo
    15 years ago

Sounds as if you may be right. Whenever you would like to assign partners is fine for me. Linda

• marygcks
    15 years ago

it`s ok with me to

• redheadedstepchild75
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well...........da....dummmmmmmm. lol

I know you're dying to know! lol
    Who's your partner gonna be?

Ready?
    LOL

Ibartoo and pchanggeo
    marygcks and Redheadedstepchild75

Please email each other to get all the important info from each other.....I hope that you love love love your stuff as much as I know I will!!!

Mary...I have an email coming your way with lightning speed! lol

• pchanggeo
    15 years ago

Thank you. I'm looking forward to the swap. Linda, you have mail.

Can I post my want list just in case someone has something I'm looking for? Perhaps we can do an "outside the swap" swap... LOL

Dragonheart
    Rote Feder
    Fluid Gold
    Fluid Orange
    Zots
    Kissing Cousins

BTW Frances, I have Acadia :).

• redheadedstepchild75
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I think that is an awesome idea!! Of course we can post our want lists!!!

I just got one i've been wanting FOREVER it seems like! Master of Mars....now I want the other Mars one..it's a set ya know. lol

I really want Francesca, but haven't been able to find it...or Frances B.......wouldn't that be the coolest..having one with your name? lol

I am moving my babies in tomorrow...it's just getting too cold at night for me to be able not to worry about them. lol
    I'm going to be updating my list tomorrow...so if you wanna give it a look see tomorrow evening...I'd be more than happy to help anyone looking for anything I have more than one cutting of..or a cuttings with some new branches!!

Doesanyone know what the perfect temp is for them to set buds? And, when they need to have that temp and for what period of time?

ACADIA......you are so mean! lol

Since our group is so small....maybe we can keep it together...and in the spring when we have bigger plants...or more plants...we can start trading again!!

• redheadedstepchild75
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have a question for my dear dear epiholics!!!

This morning I was walking out the door to take my kiddos to school and noticed that one of my new epis " Bright Beauty" didn't like the cold last night I guess... it got down to 59?...
    When I looked over at it the top portion of the mother cutting was see through and watery looking...does that make sense? lol
    I cut off that portion of the top...and also some of the branches that were feeling kinda wilty ( they had felt wilty before...it didn't handle being shipped well).

Do you think she will be okay? I hope so!!!

• ibartoo
    15 years ago

I usually don't bring mine in until the temps drop below 50. I am not sure though if some are more tender than others. I am certainly not ready to bring them in yet. I have a lot of moving around to do before I can bring anything inside.

I hope they will do ok. If you have some superthrive, try that.

• redheadedstepchild75
    Original Author
    15 years ago

They all look great now.....although, I had the same thought about the superthrive. I can't find it anywhere around here...and, people want too much for it on ebay! lol

• marygcks
    15 years ago

hi frances , not sure you are getting my emails but i`ll post you here i sent out your package i emailed you the confirmation number
    you should get this tomarrow
    , i have e-mailed you 2 time and haven`t heard back hope your doing ok , anyhows let me know when you get the box
    mary v

• redheadedstepchild75
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hmmm... Incase you do not get my email Mary...
    Thank you very much for the awesome box of goodies!!!
    It was like Christmas! lol

Here is your dc# 03073330000174932816

Linda,
    I also have a tracking number for you!!

I loved my box...It was totally awesome!! Thank you!!!

I got gas today...no small feat! lol
    Only took me 45 mins to find a gas station with gas...and another 30 mins of sitting in line to get to the pump....not too shabby!!
    Never thought I'd be doing this regarding gas in my lifetime!!

Linda, How is getting gas over in your neck of the woods??

• pchanggeo
    15 years ago

Hello everyone. Just thought I'd share how I train the upright epi's. The idea came from someone I was talking to at the ESA meeting. Tomato cages are fine but I find this method to be more flexible, especially when some branches sneak off and grow outside the cage :).

Basically some garden stakes screwed into the side, and garden tape to keep the branches upright. When one grows outside, just untie the tape and put 'em back in.

{{gwi:1293981}}

{{gwi:1293982}}

Thanks,
    Paul

• pchanggeo
    15 years ago

Hello everyone.
    I received my swap box from Linda. She sent me some nice epi cuttings and dragon fruit cuttings. She also sent several daylily seedlings... can't wait to see what blooms.

Thanks very much for a fun swap,
    Paul

• marygcks
    15 years ago

HI ALL HOW YOU ALL DOING??
    WHEN THE NEXT TRADE....LOL
    MARY V

• flower_baby
    10 years ago

I see that this swap is over, but I have yet to find any fellow epiphyllum lovers on this site. So I thought this would be a good place to possible get in contact with someone who wants to trade.
    I have night blooming cereus, epiphyllum "disocactus akermanii",
    Easter cactus with red blooms, ad an epiphyllum with unknown color blooms (it's either orange or fuschia)

I also have curly spider plant babies, curly lipstick plant, jade, and a couple different aloes.

• chloeasha
    10 years ago

Flower.baby, maybe we can organize a new epiphytic cacti trade with people? I would love one as well!

• retsec
    10 years ago

Ya'll just missed the Plant Hoarder's Cactus and Succelent Swap.

• chloeasha
    10 years ago

I saw that! So disappointing!

• Ellies_Mom_North_Alabama
    6 years ago

CAN WE DO THIS AGAIN?!! :-D Pleeease?

• beth_b_kodiak
    6 years ago

ummm, resurected from almost 10 years ago?????

6 years ago

Yep! Lol...

• Applez Esaw
    6 years ago

I'm in too thanks

• retsec
    6 years ago

This was back in 2008. All that want to swap now should start another post to see who is interested now.

6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Applez -- I posted a new thread on Round Robin. No replies yet but fingers crossed! It may just be you & I.