Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
highalttransplant

NEW: I.E. - Salsas, Sauces, and Soups Swaps

highalttransplant
13 years ago

I've been looking forward to this swap, ever since I hosted the Pick-A-Peck of Peppers Swap a couple of months ago!

This will be a partner swap. For those of you that are new to the Round Robin Forum, it means that once sign ups have closed, each person will be paired up with a partner. You will email your partner directly and try to find out their likes and dislikes, then come up with some items that fit the theme, that you think they might like.

Here are the specifics for this swap:

Deadline to sign up - August 16

Deadline to mail your package out - August 21

* Please include at least 6 full packs of seeds. If you are sending opened/partial packs, please send enough to equal 6 full packs of seeds.

* These seeds should be things that you would use to make salsas, sauces, or soups. Examples - tomatoes, peppers, and cilantro for salsas. Or carrots, beans, and celery for soups.

* Please include at least one recipe for a salsa, sauce, or soup. It would be awesome if at least some of the seeds you send correspond to the recipe(s).

* Please include a little something that could be used in the making/serving of salsas, sauces, or soups. Use your imagination here. It could be a garlic press, vegetable peeler, soup ladle, or even a jar of something you've canned. It doesn't need to be expensive. It's the thought that counts here.

* Please use delivery confirmation, so that your partner can track the package.

If I've left anything out, please don't hesitate to ask questions. Either post them here, or email me directly. Looking forward to seeing what kinds of things everyone comes up with!

Bonnie

Comments (17)

• booberry85
    13 years ago

I am sooooooooo in!

• lissa140
    13 years ago

ohhhh i want in too!!

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Welcome to the swap, Booberry and Lissa140!

Have either of you started canning this season? I've done some jams, and jellied cranberry sauce, but my tomatoes are just now about the size of a quarter. Last year, I was eating big, juicy tomatoes by the end of July. Sure hope we don't have an early frost, or I may not get any ripe tomatoes this year! Lots of peppers starting to come in, but without tomatoes, I can't use them for salsa. I know I can freeze them, but I'd love to find some canning recipes that use them ... other than just for pickling.

Bonnie

• booberry85
    13 years ago

Hi Bonnie,

I am a canner but I only have a boiling water bath (no pressure canners here.) I have not done ANY canning this year. I'm just starting to get ripe tomatoes. I hope they ripen before early blight kills all my plants completely. They were doing great up until about a week ago or so. I'm itching to make some tomato basil sauce, salsa and roasted red pepper spread. So I might see if I can buy some tomatoes from local farmers this weekend.

We've had such a hot summer I'm surprised that everything is late in my garden. I did get a late start to planting but I would have thought the hot weather would have made up for it.

Anyway, if there's one thing gardening teaches you, its PATIENCE!

• booberry85
    13 years ago

Did you say Pepper recipes? They're not salsa, sauces or soups but try these:

Habanero Gold Jam

To tell you the truth, this sounded a little frightening to me. Then I tried it. ItÂs delicious! The habaneros give you a warm sensation. No, theyÂre not going to hurt you! The apricots and the red peppers help to give the jelly a sweet finish. Makes 6 half pint jars. This recipe has been on the internet for a couple of years now. This was posted by Annie on www.gardenweb.com the Harvest forum.

1 cup minced dried apricots (â" dice)
    Note: Could use dried peaches or pears instead.
    1 ¼ total cups minced red sweet pepper and minced red onion (â" dice), approximately half-and-half.
    ¼ cup Habanero peppers; Note: For extra-hot, increase Habaneros to ½ cup and reduce red sweet pepper/red onion combination to 1 cup total.
    1 ½ cups white vinegar
    6 cups sugar
    1 3-oz. pouch liquid pectin
    Prep apricots, peppers and onion. Place in a large, stainless or other > non-reactive pot. Add sugar and vinegar. Bring to the boil and cook 5 minutes. Pull off the burner; allow to cool, cover and let sit overnight. Stir occasionally if convenient. Note: 4-6 hours would be plenty, so the time doesn't need to be any greater than the soaking time for apricots in the original recipe. (I've used as little as an hour without noticeable problems. Annie)

Next day, bring the mixture back to the boil. Stir in liquid pectin. Boil hard 1 minute.
    Pull off the heat. If necessary, skim foam. (I did need to skim a bit.) Let cool 2 minutes, stirring to distribute solids (at Camp we let it set about 10 minutes and I didn't have to mess around getting the peppers suspended in the jelly, it got thick enough to keep the suspension) Pour into jars. Stir to distribute and remove air bubbles. Wipe jar rims and threads. Cover with two-piece lids. Screw bands on finger tight. Place in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.

Roasted Red Pepper Spread
    6 lb. large red sweet peppers
    1 lb. Roma tomatoes
    2 large garlic cloves
    1 small white onion
    2 Tbsp. minced basil
    1 Tbsp. sugar
    1 tsp. coarse salt
    1/2 cup red wine vinegar

Roast peppers under broiler or on a grill at 425 degrees until skin wrinkles and chars in spots. Turn over and roast other side. Remove from heat.Place in a paper bag, secure opening, cool 15 minutes. Roast tomatoes, onion, and garlic under broiler or grill 10 - 15 minutes. Place tomatoes in a paper bag. Peel onion and garlic. Finely mince onion and garlic.

Measure 1/4 cup and set aside. Peel and seed tomatoes and peppers. Puree in food processor or blender. Combine in a large pan.Bring to a boil over med.high heat, stir to prevent sticking. Reduce heat, simmer until spread thickens. Ladle hot spread into hot jars, leave 1/4 inch headspace. Process in water bath canner for 10 minutes.

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for sharing those, Becky! Habaneros are way to hot for my family. Can I make that with a milder pepper? Here's what I'm growing that has some heat - Ancho, Anaheim, Cascabella, Mariachi, Senorita, Beaver Dam, and TAM Jalapeno. Would any of those work?

Here's some irony for you. I actually made that Roasted Red Pepper Spread last year, and didn't have enough peppers, and had to buy a few to make the recipe. This year, I'll probably have to buy the 1 lb. of Romas instead! I ended up with 12 (4oz) jars, but by the time Christmas gift giving was over, I only had one jar for myself. Loved the flavor! We ate it right out of the jar on crackers. What do you do with yours?

Here is the list of participants for this swap so far:

Lissa140
    Booberry85/Becky
    Highalttransplant/Bonnie

Plenty of time left for folks to sign up!

Bonnie

• booberry85
    13 years ago

Bonnie, I'm not sure about using another pepper instead of the habs. I do have another pepper jelly recipe were you can play a little bit with the ratio of hot to sweet peppers.

I love that roasted red pepper spread! I usually serve it over cream cheese with crackers. I've also used the ends of the jar for thickener & boost the flavor in spaghetti sauce.

Hot Pepper Jelly

This recipe was adapted for canning. The recipe comes from Jambalaya, Crawfish Pie, File Gumbo by Joan Zeringue Robbins, Janice Zeringue Hymel and Winona Zeringue Champagne.

Ingredients

½ cup finely chopped green bell pepper
    ½ cup finely chopped fresh hot green pepper, such as jalapeno or serrano
    1 ½ cups apple cider vinegar
    6 ½ cups sugar
    1 package (4 oz) pectin (Certo or Ball)
    4 drops green or red food coloring

Combine peppers, vinegar, and sugar in a saucepan and bring to a rolling boil. Boil for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add pectin and food coloring. Boil for 1 minute. Pour, boiling hot, into hot jars, leaving ¼ inch head space. Adjust caps. Process 10 minutes in boiling water bath.

Hints tips tricks and how to cheat
    For a milder pepper jelly, use ¾ cup bell pepper and ¼ cup hot peppers. For hotter pepper jelly, use ¾ cup hot peppers an ¼ cup bell pepper. Hotter peppers like cayennes and habaneros can be used instead of jalapenos.

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So Becky, is the pepper jelly used mainly as a glaze for meats?

I've got a batch of Linda Lou's Cereal Bars in the oven that I made with some of my homemade Ginger Peach Jam from last year. When I first made the jam, I didn't like the chunks of candied ginger in it, but it seems like the flavor got better over time. Anyway, I'm going camping tomorrow, and thought those would be perfect for breakfast.

Can't wait until it cools down enough to make soups and chili again ... but not before my tomatoes are ripe, LOL!

• booberry85
    13 years ago

Bonnie,

I've used the pepper jelly as a glaze for pork & chicken and served with cream cheese and crackers as an appetizer. I also have a savory cheese thumbprint cookie that I use as an appetizer. I use the jelly to fill the thumb print.

• dorisl
    13 years ago

"Measure 1/4 cup and set aside."

hi!
    re: the red pepper spread what is the quote above referring to?

:)

• booberry85
    13 years ago

Sorry everyone. It seems a line got left out of the Roasted Red Pepper Spread recipe. The missing directions are:

Peel onion and garlic. Finely mince onion and garlic. Measure 1/4 cup and set the rest aside for another use.

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Doris! Would you like to join the swap, or are you just stopping by for a visit? : )

Hey, guess what today is?

National Sneak Some Zucchini Onto Your Neighbor's Porch Day

Seriously! Anyone participating?

• sunnyk
    13 years ago

Hey...about that roasted red pepper spread....how thick should it o be before you can it....I really really like the sound of it LOL....although I can never grow red peppers in my yard due to pepper maggots.But maybe my daughter will keep me in mind when her peppers come in LOL!Or I can get some form the farmers market ...I can still feel like it is homegrown if I use my own Tomatoes, Garlic, and onions right LMBO!!

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sunny, maybe Becky can answer that for you, since I wasn't really sure when I made it either. I would say mine was not quite as thick as applesauce, but close.

So far we have:
    Booberry85
    Lissa140
    Highalttransplant

... and a couple of lurkers : )

There are 6 more days to sign up.

• booberry85
    13 years ago

Donna, like Bonnie said "not quite as thick as applesauce, but close," I think is the perfect consistancy. Sometimes I'll substitute lemon juice or lime juice for the red wine vinegar.

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you, Becky, for sharing some great recipes. Unfortunately, there was more interest in the recipes, than the actual swap ... this swap has been cancelled due to lack of participation.

Bonnie

• booberry85
    13 years ago

Poo! I thought this would be a fun one.

I canned all weekend.