Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
canyonwind

UPDATE: obf doggie days of summer # 2

canyonwind
14 years ago

Vina,

I received my wonderful "Doggie Days" box yesterday!

* two purple and gold heirloom iris....love iris!

* a bag of Natural Balance roll a round lamb treats....yes, these are for the Germans and not for me...but they sure smell good. I am big on Natural Balance for my canines!! Germans Lizzie Rose and Klaus had not tried this specific lamb treat before.....Paws up!!! They liked them...they liked them!!!! And they thank you!!!

* I am laughing my Bohemian tail off on this one............A bottle of vino....Swedish Hill Peach Wine "Just Peachy"...a New York table wine!

Now how in the world did you know I love my vino????? I guess I must have mentioned it...LOL! You are to funny!!!

Thank you so much!!!! We love our box! And you packed it beautifully! What a fun swap!!!

Have a lovely Sunday!! And thanks again Carol for hosting!

Annie and the German Sheps...Lizzie Rose and Klaus

Comments (37)

• canyonwind
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Vina,

I was just checking your member page.

The iris you sent me...how neat...from your family garden (back three generations). That is so very cool! Thanks!!

Annie

• sandlapper_rose
    14 years ago

Maryanne,
    I have not mailed yet but it will definitely go out by Wednesday and I will post when I mail. I don't know where my mind was when I shopped yesterday - I totally forgot about getting something for the dog and the plant that I bought is a perennial here in SC but then I looked up the information online and it would not survive your winter so I am going back to look for bulbs - and this time I will remember to get something for you new pup as well.
    Hope everyone is doing okay. We had a day and a half that stayed totally cloudy - thought for sure it would rain because we just don't get cloudy days here - and it never did rain. Drat - back outside to drag around my garden hose.
    Jeanne

• flowergirl34
    14 years ago

Hi Annie...Huge sigh of relief that the wine made it...I was so nervous I didn't package it enough. The iris was my grandmothers and mothers and now mine...
    It all started with a handful and could have come from my great grandmother for all I know, but now my mothers beds have about 200 or so and my beds of them are about the same. I love them! They are single but appear to have a beard I think its the coloring.
    I have never seen a picture of them in a catalog or on the internet and have looked for a while now. This spring I am taking one for myself...They are lilacy purple to a darker purple with yellow and gold petals as well.

And the wine...I'm in the middle of NY wine country! I must have 100 vineyards around me...Goose Watch Winery is owned by friends of my parents and they are lovely people.

I'm so glad the germans like their treats! It has been a few years since I bought doggie treats, but my Noah always loved the natural ones. He was 16, a rotty and went to heaven almost 3-4 years ago. It broke my heart and haven't had another dog since.

Hope you have a great Sunday! vina

• veeja11
    14 years ago

Thankyou for starting a new thread Annie. Vina I will get your box out this week. glad the germans are happy, wouldn't want a war. lots of orders at work today. I'm tired. hugs to all my bloomin friends carol

• drgulley
    14 years ago

Hi all,

Finally a little cooler weather here in Texas! We hit the 90's instead of 100 plus temps. Tomorrow I think it is supposed to be in the 80's.

Sounds like you received a great box Annie. I should be sending Sue's box of tomorrow. I have one more thing to add and then it should be ready to go.

Carol, sounds like you had a really busy day. Hope you are at home getting some R&R now.

Jeanne, I hope your doing better and recovering well.

Hope everyone has a good night and good week.

Dianne

• sandlapper_rose
    14 years ago

Crystal says "Woof, Woof" (meaning thank you) and thank you from me as well. I received my package from Melissa today. We got so many wonderful things! First of all, Melissa sent some peach jam and lemon marmalade that she made. Can't wait to try them. I also got Martha Stewart Living magazine (sounds like time to put my feet up and read for awhile...), a cute little tote bag and in it were lots of seeds (they all sound great and I do not have them), plant markers, hand sanitizer, magnets with inspiring words and flowers, and lip balm with sunscreen. Also, a Mini Seedmaster... to sow seeds - had not seen these and it sure sounds handy. Crystal got lots of goodies, too, 2 big balls, BBQ Chincken Smackwackles, American Rawhide Chews (she had one of these already), a toy shaped like a key that has a rope attached, and apple cinnamon and peanut butter dog cookies, and a floss bone to help to keep her teeth clean. Melissa also sent me an IOU for some plants from her garden. (Melissa with me and my eye problem and you needing to take it easy, I think you had the best idea for both of us.)
    Anyway, you were way too generous, but I love it all and thank you so much! Hope I didn't forget to mention something. There was so much...
    Jeanne

• hazelnutbunny
    14 years ago

Glad ya'll enjoyed your box, Jeanne! The kids loved packing a box for Crystal. They picked out all of her goodies (a dog can never have too many rawhide toys, can she?). The key shaped toy is in the Arkansas Razorback colors...Woooo, PIG SOOIE! :O)
    Adora loved the giant tennis balls- she wanted 2 of them, in case Crystal lost one....and of course, they HAD to be in girlie colors. She wouldn't have it any other way...even if your doggie had been a BOY! lol
    Any time you are ready for the plants- just let me know.

Hope everyone is having a great start to the week!

Melissa

• Debra Andruska
    14 years ago

Thanks for starting a new thread Annie!

Annie's package arrived the other day with tons of goodies for Toby and Melvin from her dogs "Lizzie Rose and Klaus"
    Melvin and Toby love everything they sent!

Natural treats moist kibbles! They can't get enough of them!
    2 Texas Taffy treats (that were gone within minutes after the box opened)
    Dental chew dinosaur!
    Squeak ball!

2 Reblooming IRIS-
    Then Again & Jennifer Rebecca (I've always wanted reblooming irises, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THESE!

Also, a beautiful kitchen towel/oven mitt set (Spoonrest too) Olive theme- perfect for my Italian kitchen!
    I almost forgot- a bag of coffee too!

Yummy homemade blackberry jam!
    Nice assortment of seeds!

Annie,
    Thank you so much for such a nice package! I absolutely love everything you sent! Mel and Toby love everything too!

My package will be going out tomorrow. I worked on the box tonight, and have it ready to go!

This has been such a fun swap!

Hugs,
    Deb

• sandlapper_rose
    14 years ago

Maryanne -
    Your package is on its way to you. Here is the confirmation number: 03080660000087396848
    I hope you and the puppy enjoy what I sent!

Melissa -
    Crystal is really enjoying her new toys and treats. She gets something new each day. What doggy fun!

Jeanne

• hazelnutbunny
    14 years ago

Vina~ I received the clothes you sent for Lili today. THANK YOU so much! They are definitely going to be used, starting today, actually! lol Lili is wearing some of the pants right now, with the legs rolled up a few times (she's a shortie).
    It's been in the 40's overnight here for the past few nights, with high temps in the 70's. Such STRANGE weather for late August in AR. Brrrr.
    Anyway- THANK YOU again for sending them. I (we!) really appreciate it!!

Melissa

• flowergirl34
    14 years ago

Hi all..just checking in.

Melissa I'm so glad you got it! and sounds like just in time too. :0) I know what you mean about the cold it was 48 last night. I felt like getting the kids Halloween costumes ready to go. I think we have had 1 week of summer~~crazy crazy weather!

Deb I am so jealous! Reblooming Iris...I love them! I am an iris nut anyway.

Talk to you all soon...vina

• Debra Andruska
    14 years ago

Vina,
    I've always wanted reblooming Iris! Thanks to Annie, I have 2 named varieties! Hugs Annie! ;)

My box for Melissa went out today, USPS #0308 2040 0001 1198 3538. I'm caught up, finally.

Hugs,
    Deb

• drgulley
    14 years ago

Finally some much needed rain here! Woo hoo! Now if it will just last a while.

Sue, you should be receiving your box any day now. I mailed it out on Monday. I hope you enjoy it. I really enjoyed putting it together.

Everyone sounds like they are getting really nice boxes.

Melissa, congrats to you!!! Take it easy and don't over do it.

Dianne

• canyonwind
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Vina,

"Just Peachy" was just that....delicious! All gone...thanks so much!

RE: Meyers Lemon Marmalade..............
    I made it...very good! However, it came out a little runny! And it even gelled on the chilled plate. Is it possible my lemons were to juicy???????????? Please advise with suggestions to make this thicker as I want to make more of it! Pectin??? I used a jar of my runny marmalade on a pork tenderloin...twas outstanding!

Thanks and happy Friday!

Annie

• hazelnutbunny
    14 years ago

Annie- I used regular lemons, but used 2-3 more than was called for in the recipe. I also used a bit less water, since my lemons had a bit more juice- I just put enough water with the juice to equal the amount called for.
    My marmalade still came out softer than it would using pectin- but I prefer mine that way. It was still thick, but very soft. I hope maybe that helps you a bit? :O)

On another note.....
    I received my box from Deb today! YAY!

Here's what she sent:
    ~butterfly stickers (Adora took off with these- she loves all things girly!)
    ~seeds- bunny tails grass, zinnia "envy", petunia "celebrity ice mix"
    ~tulip bulbs- parrot "lucky parrot" & parrot mix
    ~mini glass windchime (so cute!)
    ~lazy bunny garden statue :O) Definitely how I've felt lately!
    ~rabbit foot fern

Deb- THANK YOU so much! I love how you went with the theme....and managed to throw in some bunny items as well! The girls will have so much fun planting the tulips- they LOVE planting bulbs! And would you believe that this is my very first fern? Yay! :O)
    Thank you again....I love it all!

• Debra Andruska
    14 years ago

Melissa,
    I'm glad you liked the box. I need to pick up larger boxes. I couldn't fit everything in that I had planned. I hope the rabbit's foot fern made it ok. If not, let me know and I'll pick up another one. It gives me a good excuse to go to a local greenhouse that I love going to.
    Parrot tulips are my favorite! I loved some of the colors on the parrot mix bag (especially the orange/rust ones). I've never seen that color before in a tulip. I also love the fancy red ones! They really give lots of color when nothing else is blooming. I fell in love with that rabbit- he looks how I feel sometimes (after I've been cleaning all day like today).

I'm glad you found the tucked in stickers- I have so many packages of them from miscellaneous swaps (and I don't use them) so I'll include them in your next package. Somehow, someway we always get each other eventually.

Hugs,
    Deb

• earthlydelights
    14 years ago

hi everyone.

ANNIE your jam might need to cook a little longer. i wouldn't be adding more pectin, i would just dump it all back in a pot a cook it down a little and then can it all over again. if you want, you can send me a jar and i could then offer you more suggestions LOL

my box is almost ready - i am so sorry how late i am - but i see i'm not alone. so far, great boxes including the one i received from jeanne

jeanne, what a great box of goodies. i am loving these M&M's - we're calling them M&M's for grown ups. i have never seen these and dark chocolate -- my favorite. thanks eversomuch for all these daffodil bulbs - you hit the nail on the head with these - that's one thing i have very few of. the dog is enjoying her little treats - i haven't given her the bone yet and the toy has been confiscated by my granddaughter and she says "thank you". i love the plant markers and bag - i really enjoy handmade things. thanks also for the plant ties, very handy for the gladiolas that mellen sent me in another month swap. i have to remember to pick them out, the glad flowers are just gorgeous. with your eye being injured, you really did a wonderful job - it was a pleasure receiving from you.

dianne, i promise to get your box mailed on tuesday, i'll complete it this weekend.

have a good night everyone
    maryanne

• veeja11
    14 years ago

Vina, I finally mailed your box today, I will post conf number tomorrow, can't find my glasses so I can't read it right now, sorry I am late. hope you like your box. bunny your prize went out today. still working on yours Jeanne. next week for sure, just can't seem to get my behing moving. sorry. hugs carol

• sguanzon
    14 years ago

I got a terrific box from Diane on Wednesday, sorry I'm late to post!
    I got a box packed with:

a redbook magazine
    oxblood lilies
    caladium
    elephant ear
    hyacinth bulbs
    morning glory and candytuft seeds
    a flower candle
    assorted cat and dog treats
    cat playballs with bells (my four cats had to just share one of these before now that they have more they are very happy and said to say thanks!)
    birdhouse decor
    plant food
    garden gloves
    and last but not least -- the cutest bear in a raincoat rain gauge! - I had just been wondering where in the world I would find a rain gauge around here, I've never seen them in Phoenix and I opened the box and there he was!

Very very happy

Thanks so much!

Sue G.

• sandlapper_rose
    14 years ago

Glad your package arrived okay, Maryanne, and that you liked what I sent. That is too funny - "M&Ms for grown ups!"
    Just a comment on the lemon marmalade. Melissa sent some in my package and the consistency was perfect. I really want to try making some so we will see how it turns out. It was delicious - yes, just finished what Melissa sent. My first problem is finding cheesecloth - I don't own any and will have to decide what kind of store sells it. I already bought the lemons so I'd better not take too long finding cheesecloth.
    I hope everyone has a safe and fun Labor Day weekend.
    Jeanne

• hazelnutbunny
    14 years ago

Jeanne~ I didn't use the cheesecloth for the seeds like the recipe called for- I just tossed the seeds altogether when I sliced the lemons. I'm not quite sure what difference having the seeds soak in there with them makes, but I don't think I missed them. :O)
    I'm so glad you enjoyed the marmalade! It has been my lunch & supper lately, with the morning sickness (I should change that to night sickness- It comes on in the evening, and lasts all night long....it keeps me from sleeping!). Anyway, lemon seems to be the only thing I can eat & keep it down.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

Melissa

• earthlydelights
    14 years ago

jeanne, i totally forgot to mention the hot chocolate - that will certainly come in handy on those cool nights in the not too distant future. as for cheesecloth, your supermarket should stock it. if you can't find it, if you have any tulle around, use that.

maryanne

• flowergirl34
    14 years ago

Carol, Thanks so much for getting my box out! I'm so excited...my first box! Yeah me! Hugs back...vina

• drgulley
    14 years ago

Sue, I am so glad you liked your box. I tried to think of things that I could send that would do well where you live.

Maryanne, no hurry on the box. I know how busy everyone can get.

Have a good rest of the holiday weekend everybody.

Dianne

• hazelnutbunny
    14 years ago

Carol~ I received my prize today!
    Wow, big sis! You sent WAY too much...you spoiled me! :O)
    Lili says to let you know that she LOVES everything!
    And I do too!

• veeja11
    14 years ago

Bunny glad you liked your prize, did any of the clothes fit my lil niece ? Vina hope you got your box also. this is a pic of me today

trying to hide from customers, day 3 in a row, a bit much for me cheap men irritate me by day 2.
    hugs carol

• flowergirl34
    14 years ago

Carol, I received your box yesterday! It was the perfect day for it too. My little Taylor had her first day of kindergarten, boy I could use a pick me up after that morning.

Anyway...THANK YOU SO MUCH!

I received from Carol:
    1 mini gardening tote bag w/ tools (Taylor loves this! She wanted to start seeds when she got home yesterday! :0) )
    2 pink flip flop candles **too cute!
    1 package of scrunchy mice for Apple and kiwi
    1 package of red fluffy mice for Apple and Kiwi
    1 Boot planter with a frog....this is ADORABLE!
    1 package of orange lilies
    1 package of pink lilies
    1 heuchera ...which arrived VERY healthy. But I was wondering what color does it flower?
    1 crocomosia
    and.....DRUM ROLL PLEASE......
    1 new Iris....superstition
    THANK YOU SO MUCH!! Everything was so wonderful and you outdid yourself!

vina

• flowergirl34
    14 years ago

Just a follow up...
    I just looked up the Superstition....THANK YOU AGAIN! That is gorgeous!!

I can't wait till it flowers!
    Thanks again!
    vina

• hazelnutbunny
    14 years ago

Big Sis~ You have more patience than I do...cheap men irritate me the first time. By day 2, I'd be thumping them over the head with something. :O)
    One of the dresses you sent fit Lili, but the others are a bit too big for her right now. Which is GREAT, because that means she has something to grow into!

Lili has started to walk along furniture now! It's rough, though, because we don't have carpet- we're in endless remodel mode, so we only have the bare plywood floor. She keeps falling and hitting her noggin on the floor. Poor baby. I'm thinking of getting her a helmet. LOL
    It is hard to believe that she's that big already....wow, has this year gone by fast!

• canyonwind
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Vino (whoops, I mean Vina) and Sue....wonderful boxes!!!!

RE: Lemon Marmalade...
    Bunny and Maryanne...thanks for you input. I cut back on the water by nearly a cup...huge differance.

Have a great Wednesday!

Annie

• sandlapper_rose
    14 years ago

I need to let Melissa's friends here at OBF know that she suffered another miscarriage this morning. Please keep her and her family in your thoughts and prayers.
    Bunny, we are all so sorry to hear the news. Take good care of yourself and here's a big hug from me.
    Hug,
    Jeanne

• veeja11
    14 years ago

Big soft hugs miss bunny, relax please. He or she is dancing with her big sis and God right now. be happy for them, they got to go right to God without the pains of this world. you however must have a real tired body right now so try to relax. let your body heal and get strong before you attack mr bunny again. I love you carol

• flowergirl34
    14 years ago

Poor Bunny, Sending prayers your way...vina

• sguanzon
    14 years ago

So sorry to hear about Bunny...............

I will FINALLY be sending my box off to Treasa today - sorry for the delay!

Sue G.

• drgulley
    14 years ago

Melissa, you are definitely in my thoughts and prayers.

It has been raining cats and dogs here today. Not much rain to speak of in a good while and now all of the sudden it is flooding in some low lying areas.

Dianne

• veeja11
    14 years ago

I received a great box from Treasa, nice handmade kitchen rug, I love it, it matches my master bath so it is a beautifull tub rug, a thermometer with fruits and veggies on it, garden gloves, a huge clump of tubersose, I love them, and astilbe, I killed mine this summer, a butterfly bush, and one other plant I can't read the tag on, hope I didn't miss anything. thankyou Treasa, I love it all, hope I can keep my astilbe alive I tend to kill them. thankyou, hugs carol

• drgulley
    14 years ago

I received a nice box from Maryanne from the August swap. My dogs are loving all of the good treats she sent. Thank you so much Maryanne! Here is what I got:

Chicken Dog Treats
    Fabric Toy
    Meaty Bone & Milk Bone Chew Bones
    Mini Hummingbird Feeder
    Freesia Body Lotion
    Choc Cherry Bread Mix
    Suet Feeder/Suet Cake
    Canine Carry Outs Dog Treats
    Peat Pellets
    Rub On Transfers
    Pet Greens

Thanks again Maryanne. :O)