Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rainbowlake_gw

Birthday month Exchange for August-Marie-WYNative

RainbowLake
17 years ago

I am the Aug. birthday person and am soooo excited about it! Jan's and Deb's lists helped so much that I thought I would do the same.

I love bulbs! Iris, tulips, crocus, BIG, little, run of the mill, unusual ~ you name it, I love them. I have an Iris garden that is mostly purple, so any other color would be great. I am preparing a tulip garden for my daughter as they are her favorites and am still working on her Secret/Fairy garden. I have 1.5 acres that I am planting sun loving lilies in, it is a work in progress. I have quite a few orange ditch lily's in bloom right now and they are gorgeous! Along the drive side of the lilies I have saved about a 2 foot strip to plant De Ora's (yellow and purple), white, grape and feather hyacinth in.

I am crazy about annuals. I mix zinnia's, daisy's, marigold's, Petula's and any other seeds I have all together in a bag. Then toss them in all my perennial beds. It fills in the open spaces, easy to care for and pretty all summer long.

I enjoy tucking little garden critters everywhere - turtles, frogs, birds, stepping stone & bobbin' heads are just a few. Oh, I also have a little rattle snake that wears a base ball cap - his name is Pedro & he is adorable! ANY hand crafted items, veggy seeds & double Holly Hocks are a plus :) The Hoppers are VICIOUS this year! My poor H.H. are being eatin' down to the stocks! I am using home made tobacco spray but they think it's a condiment....

My wish/dream list:

Miracle grow/fertilizer's

Hopper killing powders or sprays!

Columbines

Poppies

Hibiscus

Monstera

flowering trees for zone 4/5

Yellow Peony ~ I have a 30' row of Peonies in all different color's but no yellow....

Someone to help weed, mow, trim, finish concrete, lay rock, plant posts & wire work on the secret garden/outdoor grape room. It is just soooo hot that I am having trouble getting up the energy to do it...

Just want to share my latest excitement:

I have 4 moon flowers bordering the north side of my lawn that are in bloom. This morning the scent was HEAVENLY.... My Rosary Vine is also blooming - very neat! My veggy garden is producing ~ tomatoes, pepper's, cucumber's, Kalahari and bushel's of squash. In another week my daughter and I will be in canning heaven :) There are 4 baby watermelon (only one plant this year made it) and to many cantaloupe to count.

I will be thrilled with anything. I feel blessed that I can be a part of this group exchange.

Cooler temps and rain dances,

Marie

Comments (32)

• amybabyboy3
    17 years ago

Marie, Hope you have a wonderful Birthday month! Amy

• RainbowLake
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Marie,
    I really like the idea of a 'wish' list each month. It gives us a chance to get to know each other a little better. Plus, prepare a box a little easier!
    Deb

Posted by gardnwatch z7MD (My Page) on Wed, Jul 26, 06 at 18:28

Marie,
    I am a bit early for August..but I sent your package out in yesterday's mail as well.
    The DC#is 03050830000219446168.
    It should get there tomorrow.....
    Enjoy..
    Bonnie

Posted by diene Z4ME (My Page) on Mon, Jul 31, 06 at 20:34

Hello All;
    We seem to keep losing our leader. Has anyone heard from our Kelley? Deb, I hope you had a wonderful month as I did the month before. Summer birthdays are fun. Anyway, it is Marie's turn and she has listed her wishes. If anyone does not have her address, I can send the list again. Those of us who have already have the fun need to make sure the remaining people enjoy as much as we did. Happy August to all. diene

Posted by wynative z5 WY (My Page) on Tue, Aug 1, 06 at 13:25
    I recieved my box from Bonnie last week and can't wait any longer to post about the wonderful stuff she sent :)
    Bonnie sent COLUMBINE's! Purple with cream center's and seeds to match :) They are snuggled into their new bed and doing well. She sent Moon flower seeds and others but as I don't have them with me I can't remember. I also recieved 3 Glad bulbs, a datebook and a tea cup with bunnies on it.

The card she sent has purple Iris on it that look just like the ones in my yard.

Thank you so much Bonnie!

I hope you had a wonderful "Birthday~in~July" Deb!
    Marie

posted by gardnwatch z7MD (My Page) on Tue, Aug 1, 06 at 16:02

Marie.
    You are certainly welcome ... I'm glad the Columbines got to you ok. If you sprinkle the extra seeds I sent, you should have alot of babies next year.These plants came from the western side of my house...mostly shade in the morning and sun in the late afternoon.They are hardy most anywhere, so good luck with your new plants. They are gorgeous when in bloom.
    Deb, I do hope your birthday month was fun for you.

Bonnie

• RainbowLake
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I thought that Marie deserved her own birthday month posting so I copied over all the entries that applied from the July listing.

Hope you have a wonderful month and a lovely birthday

Karen

• wynative
    17 years ago

Look at this...........
    I get my own page :)) Thanks Karen!! This makes turning 40 worth it, hehehehehe

Marie

• RainbowLake
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Marie,
    I have your package ready to go and will try to mail it tomorrow. I will post Conf number when I get it.

Thanks Karen

• RainbowLake
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Okay, Marie,
    Your package is on it's way. There are some live plants inside so you may not want to let it sit at the PO too long. Conf number is 0306 0320 0004 6759 2553. Hope you like everything.
    Karen

• Debra Andruska
    17 years ago

Marie,
    I hope your having a wonderful Birthday month!
    Your package is ready to go.. I'll mail it tomorrow, and post the delivery conf #.

Happy Birthday!

Deb

• daisy_me
    17 years ago

Sorry to hijack your thread, but I've been trying to reach Marie/Wynative and I think my e-mails are going to her spam folder.

Marie--please e-mail me! :-)

• Debra Andruska
    17 years ago

Marie,
    My original post is missing? I posted the delivery confirmation number already. Hmm? Maybe I posted it on another thread?

USPS #0305 0830 0004 1527 2400.

Deb

• wynative
    17 years ago

Karen,

Thanks!! Everything you sent is WONDERFUL!!!

Karen sent pretty Blue & white windchimes, a cute little pastel bird house, garden stickers and mini M & M's ~ which my daughter has already claimed :)

Then....

4 DIFFERENT COLORS OF IRIS!!! LOTS of each one! Pale Yellow, 'smear'... with White Edging and two others. The moisture ran/smeared the writting. But with the heat lately, I am glad they arrived so healthy ~ between 95 and 110+ for over 3 weeks now. I'm melting....... hehehehe I have already plotted out where the newbies are going to live in their new home, as soon as it cools off enough today to get them bedded.

Karen, the card is great, also! It has a silly looking Kitty ~ saying that I want T.L.C. for my birthday ~ Ten Less Candles. Very funny and true :)

Deb ~ Oh, goodie! Thanks for the heads up - packagge be here tomorrow, please... I don't like to wait ;)

My daughter gave me an early gift last week - she isn't very good with the waiting either. I needed a new purse so she picked one up for me ~ it is purple :) and in the shape of a watering can! It is soooo cute!

Daisy - Dont worry about the hijacking, I am just glad you contacted me. You have mail ~ hoping it gets through.

Happy Wednesday everyone,
    Marie

• RainbowLake
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Marie,
    The Iris are White with a purple edge, White and A Pinkish purple (really a lovely color) Sorry, I thought I had used a waterproof marker. Glad you liked everything.
    Karen

• wynative
    17 years ago

Karen, thanks for letting me know. My daughter & I were trying to guess and have a little pool between us ~I guess I will have to tell her that you told me, just to keep it fair ~ right?

Megin helped plant them and have named them 'Karen Yellow', 'Karen w/White edges', 'Karen #1' and 'Karen #2'. Just thought I would let you know that your name has a permenent place in my Iris garden. They are the only named ones, as I always loose tags. We also put up the bird house and chimes in her secret garden, they look great.

THanks again,
    Marie

• wynative
    17 years ago

Thank you Deb! Deb sent a little welcome frog garden statue, a garden magazine, a paper pad with a puppy on it in a pair of tennis shoes (very cute!), a Vanilla candle (smells wonderful) a very nice plant pot and a verigated spider clipping to put in it.

Thanks so much, Deb! I am out of soil and am on my way to get some so I can get my new 'Bonnie'out of her travel clothes and into something more comfortable :)

Have a great weekend EVERYONE,
    Marie

• Debra Andruska
    17 years ago

Marie,
    I wanted to send plants, but the heat hasn't let up until today. It's 78* and finally comfortable! When I sent the package we had heat warnings, and I even cringed packing "Bonnie" in the box. I hope it arrived ok. If it doesn't do well, let me know, I'll gladly send another. I really like that spider plant, it's the only one that turns so curly and cascades down the pot. It's unique and grows big, fast.

Hope your enjoying your Birthday month (and receive LOTS of neat things).

Deb

• RainbowLake
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Marie,
    I am honored that you named the Iris after me. Iris are among my most favorite flowers. I used to have the names to the plants but have lost and forgotten them over time. I am trying to pay more attention now when I get something new so that I will know what it is when I trade it. Anyway, I hope they do really well for you and your daughter in your garden. Karen

• diene
    17 years ago

Hello Karen;
    I have been trading plants on this website for years and what I have discovered is that real gardeners are more interested in the plants than the names. I have lots of different lilies and they all had a name before they came to my house and all I know is how beautiful they are. I think I probably have some now that are not named because they are a cross between two of my older lilies. My suggestion is to enjoy and not worry about names. It is alot more fun that way. diene

• wynative
    17 years ago

Diene ~ I agree :) The names are intersting but I go for the color. Most of the names I can not even pretend to pronounce correctly and forget them anyway.

Karen ~ Every year I put names on all my new lily's, iris and others but by spring the wind has taken them to Nebraska! Maybe 'pet rocks' would be better name plates than little stakes? Megin had to show her friend over the weekend the new iris and went into great detail on the naming process. We ordered tulips and more lily's and she already has a list of names started for them :)

Deb ~ "Lil' Bonnie" is the first Spider I have ever owned. My Mom had a HUGE one but it was plain green and no curl's. She is doing great and loves having the pot you sent all to herself. Megin really like her curls & has checked on her every morning for growth. I had to hide the spray bottle as I was afraid L.B. was getting a little soggy!

Marie

• diene
    17 years ago

Hello Marie;
    Your birthday surprise went out today, I am glad you are not into names as I could not send any. Get your shovel ready as I did send live stuff. If the post office does not hijack it you should have it on Thursday. The confirmation number is 01038555749783866043. Enjoy. Happy Birthday. diene

• amybabyboy3
    17 years ago

Marie,
    I sent your package out today. I hope you enjoy it. I would have liked to sent plants but it is really hot and dry here.
    Hope you birthday is wonderful and I hope you like your box of goodies! Amy

• wynative
    17 years ago

Amy ~ Thanks so much. What a great gift box!!

Amy sent me these wonderful items:
    Aster seeds
    Sunflower Kit
    An Apple Candle
    All of these in a round painted w/flower's box
    Some foot lotion - I can always use this :)
    A cute fridge magnet ~ a lady bug setting on a mushroom
    9 different craft magazines and books
    and a bag of Tree & Shrub Miracal Grow!! My tree's will love this!

Thanks!!
    Marie

Diene ~ I haven't recieved yours yet & USPS says the package you sent is still in OCEAN PARK, ME. They need to update more often! I will check tomorrow so that it doesn't have to sit all weekend.

Enjoy the weekend ladies!
    Marie

• diene
    17 years ago

Hello Marie;
    I am so angry about your box. I have just about had it with the Post Office. I think I am going to stop swapping because all these service failures make me feel bad and they are beyond my control. I have registered a complaint but that seems to encourage them. I think I am going back to UPS. They are not much more expensive and they do a much better job. Sorry. diene

• wynative
    17 years ago

Happy Day here in WY!!!

I recieved 2 wonderful boxes this morning :)))

Diene ~ Don't be to upset with the USPS - I had surprise company this weekend and wouldn't have been able to enjoy my gifts like I can now! This box was soooooooo worth the wait!! In my package I recieved gloves, an instant flower garden (works great for this lazy gardener!), foot & hand creams, cosmos and Day Lily seeds, Suet and feeder and ~ drum roll inserted here..... ~ BULBS & PLANTS!! Parrot Tulips, Lilies - white w/purple strips, orange w/brown spots and all white for the bulbs. Plants ~ Spirea bush, YELLOW STELLA D'Oro! and a varigated hosta - will be the perfect addition for under the little tree that grew like 4 feet this summer!!

Ann - Do you travel alot? You can fit a weeks worth in a carry-on, huh :) WOW! I have never seen so much put into that size of space!!! All of this came in my package from Ann ~ Baby Ruth's (1/2 are gone now,yummy), carmels, 2 carmel apple suckers, lotion, body wash, oat meal soap on-a-rope, jobe spikes, hot cider & coffee packages, secret message plant, a wind twister, LOTS of flower seeds, 4 craft book (my daughter and I will get so much use out of these!), a frog welcome figure, a turtle figure, adorable cow salt and pepper shaker's and a Wild & Sons catalog the features Daylily's, Iris and Peony's!! If any one loves these three like I do, you need to check this company out! The prices are GREAT and all the color's you could want and then some!!

I am at work so had to call my daughter and tell her about all the wonderful surprises! She can't wait till I get home so that she can hang the new suet bird feeder & wind twister and introduce the frog and turtle to the others :) Meg just called and said that she picked out where the new plants/bulbs are to go, has watered the beds for easier digging and wanted to know your names so that she can figure out what to call our new flowers.... I have created a 'monster' gardener! hehehehehehe

Thanks SOOOOOOO much to you both - I am having the best Aug. EVER!!
    Marie

• daisy_me
    17 years ago

Hi Marie! Sorry to hijack your thread again, but wanted to let you know I got your e-mail and to expect a package. :-)

• RainbowLake
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Happy Birthday Marie,
    I hope you had a wonderful birthday!

Karen

• diene
    17 years ago

Good Morning Marie;

Hope you have a wonderful day. Enjoy everyday, they are precious. diene

• diene
    17 years ago

Hello All;
    We should now be getting ready for the next month which is Ann. Ann can you post what you want? It would probably be better to start a new thread. Everyone should have her address but if not let me know. Not sure if Kelley is still with us but I think that we should try and finish the commitment we made to each other at the start. I know how much I enjoyed my "Birthday Month" and would like to make sure those people that made that happen have just as much fun. Two more great people to go. Do not mean to be ending Marie's birthday month early. I hope you get presents up to the last day. diene

• gardnwatch
    17 years ago

Diene and all...
    I agree. I'd like to see this exchange all the way to the end. You all were so generous and kind to send such thoughtful birthday surprises, and I certainly expect to make sure I send to the others waiting their turns.
    I'd like to if possible still have a holiday swap around either Thanksgiving or Christmas as we had originally planned. We could put the names together of those who wish to do this and have stuck this exchange out, and pick them from a hat or something easy.
    I'd suggest sending an ornament , either homemade or store bought and perhaps one other small holiday related item.
    That way costs will be down and we can find a nice closure to this exchange . Anybody else.....or does this not sound like something we want to do? Either way....I do intend to send birthday gifts to those still on our list.
    Have a happy week....

Bonnie

• diene
    17 years ago

Hello Bonnie and all;
    The holiday exchange sounds fine to me, I think we should shoot for mid November so that the late people can still make it for the holidays. I like the idea of an ornament or decoration and keeping the price down. I think we are losing people because the cost of the gifts plus the shipping is too great. How about not requiring priority shipping since it does not have anything live? I will do whatever the group decides but I think the less rules the better.
    Also, where are you Ann? Your birthday is soon and we need to start shopping. diene

• october17
    17 years ago

I'm sorry, I need to apologize to everyone. I've been a bad round-robiner.
    I've never experienced the kind of awful funk I've been in this summer. I have absolutely no enthusiasm for anything.
    Please, everyone take the month of October off.
    I'm sorry everyone.

• diene
    17 years ago

Hello Ellie;
    I did not realize you had not sent anything this month but I received a wonderful box from you so I certainly will not forget your month. How old are you going to be? Is that what is freaking you out? I remember thirty was a bad year for me. Other friends have said forty, fifty or sixty and some of my friends said all were a nightmare. I personally did not mind forty or fifty, sixty hasn't happened yet.
    Please stay with us, you are part of this group whether or not you want to be. We love you!!! diene

• gardnwatch
    17 years ago

Ellie....
    I strongly feel the same way. I received a box from you back in March, and I intend to send you something nice for your month too. We all have bad times in our lives...don't let it hold you down. Time heals alot of things....be patient... your enthusiasum for life will return.
    Stay with us....

Bonnie

• wynative
    17 years ago

Thanks to all of you that sent me gifts! This has been my best birthday month EVER!

Marie