Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hazelnutbunny

Sharing September Pictures

hazelnutbunny
15 years ago

I thought I'd get a thread going for the new month.

I enjoy seeing everyone's gardens, so I want to keep this going. :O)

Here are some new ones from my yard.....

Immortality *finally* bloomed for me!

Here is a rose that was *supposed* to be a dark violet. Uh...I think the label got switched, or it just reverted back to whatever it was grafted onto! Ugh!

My first hibiscus! Yay! :O)

{{gwi:1294180}}

Some sedum with a pretty butterfly.

The laziest cat in the world, but certainly the best. The girls toss him around like a rag doll, and he never even blinks! LOL

{{gwi:1294182}}

And finally..nothing pretty, but this is the TeePee hut I fashioned for the girls this spring. Well, the LEFT side of the picture is. The gourd plant (singular!) has taken over my nandina bush. The girls are loving it, though. I just hope my nandina recovers! LOL

{{gwi:1294183}}

Comments (43)

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Great pics Bunny. Also quick on the draw huh?...hehe

I don't have anything blooming still except a Tropical White Canna and it isn't really braggable right now.
    Don't think anyone wants to see muy maters, beans, taters, squash OR onions....lol.

Oh my Honeycomb Butterfly bush is blooming, but it ain't nutin to brag about now either, burnt tips from too hot sun and drought.

I can't wait to see what everyone else has blooming.

I bet I will post a pic of one of muh cantaloupes when it is ready to come off the vine. These are by far the biggest ones I have ever grown!...Hope nothing happens to them before they are ready...u never know!

:) Fran

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Bunny, I love your Immortality! I can't wait till the ones you sent me bloom!
    And, that is an awesome hibiscus! never seen one like that!

I have another Hibiscus blooming!
    {{gwi:1294185}}

Fran, what I thought were seed pods on the pink one didn't get any seeds LOL
    But there is a HUGE pod on this white one, I don't know if you can tell by the pic, but it has a pale pink color on the edge of the flower, and of course the bugs seem to love it! I think the grasshoppers are eating it!

• nikkineel
    15 years ago

Although the dog days of summer set in and some of the flowers are "spent", I do have a few new blooms to share...
    The lavender is finally blooming even though it's tucked in a little too close in the crepe myrtles
    a href="http://s248.photobucket.com/albums/gg180/nneel228/?action=view&current=August08051.jpg"; target="_blank">

moonflower (not the best pic)

Four Oclock (sent to me from Dee in Fla)

Canna Phaison

Eucalyptus appreciates the rain
    {{gwi:27060}}
    Speaking of rain, one of my favorite plants in the garden, this resurrection fern is always so pretty after a good rain.

While collecting daylily seed, I discovered lots of little ginkgo seedlings. I have both a male and female in my yard.

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Nikki, I will be awanting some of those Ginkos...and since you are in the BB...HINT HINT...lol
    Eucalyptus I like these too, but everybody says we can grow these.

Dang Vic, you know me wants some seeds...lol. I know lots of critters like to chop on Hibiscus. And yes, I can see the pink kisses on you hibiscus...;)

Bunny is that sedun Neon, by chance?

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Nikki, your yard looks just wonderful! Will you please come help me with mine?

• nikkineel
    15 years ago

Yeah Fran - I'm gonna have to write that down somewhere so I can remember about the ginkgos. They are beautiful in the fall - well all year round actually.
    Thanks for the compliment Vic - means a lot coming from a pro like you. I have a long way to go..... Nik

• poisondartfrog
    15 years ago

Bunny, I love the Red Texas Star Hibiscus! Very showy.
    I also love that pale pink H. moscheutus vic posted.
    Canna Phaison is wonderful and so is the Mexican Petunia in nikki's garden.
    I hope folks will post some more pictures soon!
    Summer gardens are not over yet.

Tithonia rotundifolia, gold form with visitor

Hibiscus coccinea alba, White Texas Star

Ipomoea, Emma's Gift (think I got this one from Medo)

• gee_oh_nyc
    15 years ago

Thought I'd share a few with all of you... particularly since some of the seeds I got right here from neonposey's Tick or Treat round robin...
    First starting off with some goodies I got here
    Some chocolate morning glories mixing in with my others
    {{gwi:425113}}

Wave petunias... never thought I could do these from seed:

Another long-shot that did great... didn't expect heuchera seeds to do anything and yet here are the seedlings at the end of their first season:

And a lovely red coleus behind my lunaria:

And some other features from my garden in recent days:
    The torenia is starting to bloom (I sent some of these seeds into that same round-robin)
    {{gwi:434925}}

One of my favorite pictures this year:

A surprise to find this little insect eater in the heart of the concrete jungle (and on my helenium)
    {{gwi:361186}}

A wider shot of one of my favorite corners of my tiny city-garden:

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Great pics Everyone! I lost lots of pics that I didn't upload to Photobucket when my computer went to computer heaven : ( I do have a bunch in my camera though that I still need to upload.

Melissa,
    Cute kitty. He must be good if he takes your dauthers in stride : )
    I love the hibiscus.

Vic,
    I have a similar hibiscus, very pretty.

Nikki,
    I think your 4 O'clock photo shows Ruellia. I tried growing moonflower one year and didn't get germination. I really need to try again.

Alana,
    Nice MG. I really do love them.

Gee,
    Love your MG too! Those are good looking heuchera seedlings.
    Looks like your tiny city garden is a wonderful little city oasis.
    Remy

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Fran, don't worry, I have a huge seed pod on the dark pink one now and it has your name on it!

Nikki, a pro like me??? ROFLMBO! But Thank YOU for the compliment!

Alana, so that's the name of my hibiscus! Thanks. I like your Texas star too, those aren't very cold hardy are they?

Gee, you did a great job with the seeds! Did you winter sow those? I'm going to try my luck this year.

Remy, sorry about your computer, I lost my hard drive last winter so I know how ya feel! Yuck!

Ok, these aren't flowers, but they are pics! lol
    I had to take some tools to the guys at work the other day and Zack got all excited and had to grab his tool belt to go work with Daddy! (Ya, I know, he needs his hair combed! lol, it was early in the morning!)

You can see who's doing all the work!

• nikkineel
    15 years ago

OK - I have had a "duh Nikki" moment. The 4 Oclock photo is in fact Mexican Petunia. I received them in a swap and got the tags mixed up. My 4 Oclock is right beside it and has not bloomed yet. I first discovered this when I stopped by a local gardener's house yesterday. I had been admiring her Iris bed for a while, saw her in the yard, and pulled up and introduced myself. She was so nice and showed me her extensive gardens in the backyard as well. WOW - She is an Iris guru! She has even hybridized, named and registered lots of new Iris. While there, I noticed her "4 Oclocks" which she informed me were Mex. Petunias. She showed me her true 4 Oclocks and even shared some seeds. I now know what to look for when mine bloom and produce seed. She also gave me two newly rooted brugs. I can't wait to get them going. Anyway, if you've been admiring a local yard, stop by and introduce yourself. You may be surprised at what you come away with. For me, I feel like I've made a new friend! Vic, you have a carpenter in the making with that little guy!
    That lunaria is cool in your city garden, Gee.
    I'm gonna have to update my wishlist for that Ipomea, Emma's gift.
    Keep those pics coming. I love to see them.
    Nikki

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Well, I DID turn that top photo, it seems like it takes awhile for it to catch up on PB...

• wind_red
    15 years ago

wow~~~you folks are pro!
    and toxic too!

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Vic thank you very much...Yeah, poor little guy looks like he is "working" hard while everyone else is watching...lol.

gee oh nyc, you have some really nice plants going on there.

Umm, poisondartfrog would you like to make a trade of some kind for your White Texas Star? I have red, but I would really like some white too...PLEASSSSSSSSSE

nikki don't worry about it, we all have those moments, some of us more than others (me!!!) lol.

Keep the pics coming everybody, I enjoy looking at them!!

• poisondartfrog
    15 years ago

Fran,
    It will be a couple of weeks before I can harvest, but I would be happy to trade some white H. coccinea for the red.
    Great photos everyone!
    Happy Labor Day,
    Alana

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Thanks Alana,
    I can wait until yours are ready...
    Thanks again,
    Fran

• gee_oh_nyc
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the kind words about the garden... I would not have been able to do it were it not for the kindness of folks on these forums.
    Vic, it looks like the one you have growing is the most important of all.
    Yes my heurcheras were wintersown... I love it and the plants are so much stronger.
    Enjoy the rest of the summer, everyone.
    Peace
    George

• poisondartfrog
    15 years ago

Fran, White Texas Star Hibiscus seeds are ready if you still need them.
    Have you guys figured out that I like vines?

Jamie Lynn Morning Glory
    a href="http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u238/Poisondartfrog/?action=view¤t=2008_05010508090022.jpg"; target="_blank">

Sunset Runner Bean

I forget

• gee_oh_nyc
    15 years ago

Gorgeous Alana! What beauties. I have a few new things out this week that I should take a few snaps of myself. Viva September!
    George

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Alana, those are pretty.

George, thanks for the compliment on my little "sprout"

I haven't checked in here lately, I'm hoping for some more blooms myself that I can post some pics of.

Vic

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Hi All,
    I finally got my pics uploaded!

Vic,
    Your Zack looks adorable helping with the constuction.

Alana,
    I love the vines too. A few did really well this year, but many got killed by slugs since it was so wet this year or the ever hungry rabbits. Sunnset Runner was one of my fatalities : ( Your looks great though!

Here's a vine that survived and did exceptionally well, Cypress Vine. This is one plant.
    {{gwi:1294230}}

Anyone remember my good looking Begonia? The lighting is a bit off, but here is is still looking good. I wish I saved the tag.

Lastly, I don't think this photo does the plant justice, but this is Fireball Hibiscus. It is amazing looking in person!

Remy

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I love the hibiscus, Remy! That is gorgeous!

All of the morning glories are pretty, too. My daughter had gotten into my seed box last spring, and planted several things around the yard. I've seen chocolate morning glories, beans,sunflowers, marigolds, some unknown pink morning glories...and TONS more....in the weirdest places! I've even got watermelons & squash!! In the yard, along the driveway, on the hillside, in the flower beds....
    The girl has more luck than I EVER have with seeds!! :O)

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Remy, I love that cypress vine and fireball! Hmmm....I still have miniblind slats! lol

Also, that caladium(sp) green/green is neat, looks like a spiral. What do you have in that wire basket to hold the dirt in? I have a hanging one that I've been debating what to put in it as a liner (I know, a little late for this year)

{{gwi:1294236}}

Melissa, that's funny, amazing how things will grow when they are not where we want them! lol

Vic

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Melissa,
    That is too funny about your daughter and the seeds!

Vic,
    I bought the coir matting from a local nursery. They have big rolls and you can cut how much you want off. It is good quality thick coir. Then at home I cut to fit inside of my containers. You probably don't have a nursery carrying stuff like that near you being you are so far out in the country.
    Your container is very pretty! The containers I used are free from work. I'm not sure what they were for originally since they came from other depts., but I saw them and thought planters!
    The plant I think you are talking about is Begonia 'Escargot'. I really love it!
    I plan on saving seeds from the Cypress Vine. I'm hoping to get seeds from Fireball too. Not sure Fireball will look the same, but I bet some of the babies would look good. : )
    Remy

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Remy,
    You won't believe this, I went to a woman's house yesterday to pick up a BBQ grill (freecycle) and she had that hibiscus! I think it is the fireball you have, it was HUGE at least 6ft tall with gigantic red flowers, she said it dies back to the ground every year and comes back. There were no seed pods on it but she let me take a cutting, now if I can get it to grow...... I have been doing some reading here on GW and I've seen some comments that they are hard to root so wish me luck! I'm just wondering, IF I can get it to root, should I keep it inside in a pot all winter?
    Are begonias annuals for you? Do you bring them inside for winter?
    Vic

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Remy I love your Begonia 'Escargot' I WANT ONE...it is the only Begonia that I have wanted since they were introduced!
    The red leafed one beside it is nice too!
    Your begonias look a lot better then the scaggely things I am used to seeing everybody have.
    The Fireball Hibiscus is beautiful too. I haven't seen a pic of it as good as yours now I SEE why ppl adore it.

Bunny that is too funny about your DD plnating things everywhere, maybe you should just hand her your seeds and tell her to go plant...LOL (fix her a spot in the yard, her's might look better then yours...hehe)

Vic I really hope you do have good luck with your cutting...

:)Fran

• diene
    15 years ago

Hello All;
    I did this last night and forgot to submit it so I will try it again.
    I have not posted in a bit but here are some of the things blooming now. We had a light frost last night but I am hoping it did not kill anything yet.
    I had some loam delivered last week from a local elk farm, really rich and clean looking stuff. My gardens should be great next year but...
    I have been moving dirt for 12 days now and still have a little hill left. It was only supposed to be 8 yards but I have been moving a yard a day and my DH moved at least four last weekend.
    I guess it is a good thing to get more for your money but I am really tired of moving dirt.
    Here are my pictures;

I did not plant this
    {{gwi:1294242}}
    wish I could get a better shot at this bug

I will post my other roses later (have to go take pictures)
    diene

• poisondartfrog
    15 years ago

George, Your Datura is lovely! For some reason that picture did not open for me on previous visits.
    Remy, I love your Begonia collection!
    Diene, I have that sedum blooming now. I think you sent in to me in one of the first MNF swaps-lovely to have.

• sandlapper_rose
    15 years ago

I haven't posted any pictures for awhile because my garden has been too hot, too dry, and boring!!! Anyway, here are a few that are in bloom. Some of only a very few bothering to do anything right now.

Red Mums that I planted last year

Ginger (I think this one is commonly called Hidden Ginger - even in this picture, the blossom is sort of wilted)

A speckled Geranium - I have the name written down somewhere. I think it had the word Peppermint in it. So far I have been able to overwinter this one in my garage.

A vase of flowers that came in out of the heat - a mixture of roses and dahlias.
    {{gwi:1294249}}

We should get some more flowers now that it is cooler. Still a big lack of rain here though.
    Jeanne

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Jeanne,
    I love the vase of dahlias and roses! I sure hope you get more rain.

Diene,
    Whatever that thing is, it is scary looking! My turtlehead that I got last year is blooming. I didn't realize they bloomed so late. I like that it does.

Vic,
    I know I wrote you a note about the begonias awhile ago! I must not of submitted it : (
    I do have to bring in the begonias. Thankfully they do well with low light and not a lot of water during the winter. I don't normally keep the flowering ones though. I only have so much space and they are easy to obtain in the spring. This year's is so good though!
    The hibisus, if you get it to take, I would keep it in for this winter. THe canes are not hardy and will die. I don't think the plant just rooted could handle that.

Here's a pic of gazanias.

Fran,
    I know you said the pic was good, but I got a better new one. I have long hands for a comparison.
    {{gwi:240305}}
    I still think it looks better in person though, lol.
    Remy

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Wow Remy,
    Those are beauties. I've never heard of gazanias before, they are awesome, I love the colors!

Thanks for the info, I hope it will root for me, it is such a pretty plant!

Vic

• poisondartfrog
    15 years ago

I love the red mums-those look great!
    Remy, that Hibiscus is incredible! That true red is wonderful.

Snail Vine still looks good...

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Remy, WOW. Vic siad it first but WOW! It is REALLY a nice one!

OH ALANA I love the smail vine. Someone told me they would give me some seeds if theirs seeded. I am going to have to go back and see if I can found out who that was.

I grew hyacinth bean for the first time this year after all those years of collecting seeds for it I finally did and have thought every time I look at it GEE You should have been growing this every year! It is really pretty and I like the color of it. I have both the purple and the white one and although I like the purple better the white adds interest as well!

Jeanne your pics are pretty too those mums a very pretty I like that color, the peppermint geranium is really nice too.
    I like the cut flowers too, I never do that. My grandmother used to do it a lot and as a matter of fact my mom brings them in too. I just never really think about it I guess.

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jeanne~ The geranium is gorgeous! It DOES look pepperminty! :O)

Remy~ The gazanias. Wow! Those are gorgeous! And the hibiscus is very pretty, too! I love the big, full ones! I can't wait to have more. I've only got the one, but I want a bed full of them!

Diene~ WHAT in the WORLD is that thing that you didn't grow?! It looks like it might eat your hand off!

Poison~ The snail vine is cute! I like it...I've never seen one before.

Fran~ I love your invisible flowers! LOL Seriously, girl! Where are your pictures?? :O)

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Bunny I don't have anything blooming. Well nothing worth posting. My moonflower and gourd vine plus a Tropical White Canna that it is....well, one or two small things. NOTHING WORTH POSTING....believe me.

I like looking at everybody else's pretties though!

• dirt_under_my_nails
    15 years ago

Love seeing all the flower photos.Here are a few from my garden
    'Keiryu'JMG

Fuchsia & Purple JMG

{{gwi:87087}}

And a slideshow of all my Brugs

Later...April/dirt

• nikkineel
    15 years ago

It's been a while since I checked out this thread. I always love "putting a flower with a name". Jeane, your flowers are so pretty and unique. The red mums are awesome! Remy, those gazanias are so pretty. They remind of dahlias. April, I love Brugs. I met a lady who gave me my first rooted cane a couple of weeks ago. Since you are in my neck of the woods, maybe you can help me. Do I put it in the ground and leave it or take it in for the winter. I've talked to 3 different people since I got mine that said they leave them in the ground and they return. But since this is my first one, I really want to make sure I do it right. Have a great weekend! Nikki

• diene
    15 years ago

Everyone's flowers look so nice. We are having some really rainy weather, I guess Kyle has made it up here. It is rather eerie as our weather has really become colder but today it is really warm and very rainy. The ocean is quite riled up and we will probably have some flooding but the worst of it is supposed to miss us and hit the coast further north.

• dirt_under_my_nails
    15 years ago

Nikki~ This was my first year growing brugs.I was told that we can leave them in the ground....but we will have to wait till much later next year for it to bloom. I'm still undecided as to what I'm going to do.Might bring some in & leave some out,making sure to take cuttings from the ones that are left out.What color do you have?
    later...April/dirt

• nikkineel
    15 years ago

I'm not sure what color they will be. They haven't bloomed. I doubt I'll see any blooms this year. Nikki

• wynative
    15 years ago

These belong to a friend of mine. They were born Sept. 17 and are 3 days old here. The Mommy is Pomeranian and the Daddy is 'fence jumping' Chihuahua! LOL
    {{gwi:1294260}}

After waiting 2+ months, I finally have an Avacodo started!
    {{gwi:1294263}}
    I have a bigger pot for it and will repot 'George' today.

My friend Barb gave this bird bath to me for my birthday last month. I placed it between some of my 4 0'clocks, sunflowers and iris.
    {{gwi:1294265}}

I just planted these this summer - there are 3 others but this one is the fullest
    {{gwi:1294267}}

I recieved this in a swap last fall - ? Sedum but it is so pretty and over a foot tall!
    {{gwi:1294269}}

My Living Stones are starting to bloom. I am not sure when most others do but mine have a mind of their own and bloom at all different times of the year...
    {{gwi:1294271}}

• dirt_under_my_nails
    15 years ago

Those living stones are cool!!!That's the only thing bad about these threads. I ALWAYS see something else to add to my want list!!!!

later..April/dirt

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

I'm right there with ya April, my list keeps growing too!
    *making mental note to update my list*
    I love your brugs, I've been toying with the idea of starting some tropicals this winter, we'll see what happens....

Marie, such cute puppies! And those sedums are pretty, I don't think I've seen tall white ones before, the rocks are cool!

My August Flame DL finally bloomed for me, I've been waiting on this bud to open for weeks! Of course, it was a cloudy yucky day and it didn't open all the way : (
    The only other thing I have blooming right now is sedum autumn joy, and I think everyone has seen those b4! lol