Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandlapper_rose

NEW: Our Bloomin Friends - Sept. Swap: Show Off Your State

sandlapper_rose
11 years ago

OBF September Swap: Show Off Your State

Let me begin by saying that Our Bloomin Friends requires you to be member before you can join in on one of the swaps. If you are interested in membership, please contact Shirley or Carol.

What we will do for the month of September is Show Off Our State with what we mail to our swap partner. Two things will be required, but you can send more if you like. Just don't feel like you have to spend a lot of money for this one. It's the thought that counts and your creativity.

1. Include a card that represents your state or the area you live in. A post card is great, but it doesn't have to be a post card. You can make the card yourself or you can embellish a store bought card by adding stickers, information, or anything you wish. Remember though that it has to represent your area so if your store bought card doesn't do that, get creative with it!

2. Include at least one item that is plant related in your swap. Again, this has to relate to your area or state. I think most of us can still receive plants in September so it could be a native plant, one common to your area, one with the name of your area (like "Boston fern" for Boston), an appropriate pack of seeds that meets those same requirements, or even a decorative item picturing a plant associated with your state. Here in SC, we have lots of items with palmetto trees pictured on them. Something like that is fine... or for SC, tea (only tea plantation in the US) or something made of cotton for SC (yes, cotton was a big southern crop for many, many years... and it comes from a plant!) You will know your area better than I do, so put on your thinking cap.

I'm sure those examples will give you some ideas, but if you have any questions, just ask. Sign up by September 8th and mail by Sept. 20th. That way any live plants can make it though without extremely cold weather.

I hope you'll join in! I'm looking forward to it.

Jeanne

Comments (147)

• smitties
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I am a goof. I was in such a hurry to post I got the box that I set everything aside in the kitchen. When I went to put it all away, I realized that the two dishtowels were actually a dish towel with matching dish cloths which is even better. :)

The kitten is going to her new home this afternoon. I really wish I could keep her but my friend needs a new companion after her cat died last year. I know this little one will be very happy there and I will see her on occasion. I have come to really enjoy her company the last two weeks but we certainly have our fair share of cats already.

Margo

• gardenofeden777
    11 years ago

Hello girls!

Went boutique shoppin' today, me & my girls. Boy did we have a blast! It was nice and relaxing! Oh the stuff I found and bought! I now have a huge bin dedicated to OBF & FOTESS.
    Well I was shipping my box tomorrow, correction, your box Shirley. But I am going shopping again tomorrow believe me your box will reap the benefits of another shopping day. :-)
    And not to worry it will be shipped by the deadline! I forgot how much fun boutique shopping is! Malls I hate, this was exilerating & relaxing.

This is a pic of Red River in Alexandria, LA which is in central LA. That is my oldest son Christian the kitty rescuer. He is 22 and lives next door. This body of water every year bull sharks are found in it. They swim far up the river to get here. They can live in fresh water for 2 weeks. Most rivers in LA you can go swimming in but this one has strong under tows starting a few feet from the bank. Even with a life vest most drown when they fall out of a boat here. The under tows are that strong.

Good nite all! I will write back tomorrow evening.

Rena'

• brittneysgran
    11 years ago

Well more bad news with Mom..she called at 1:30 a.m. and told DH she had fallen again and could not get up. We rushed to her house and DH had to pick her up from the floor and put her back in bed. Called the nursing home today and they want $6,000.00 per month (are you kidding me). My sister and two brothers live closer to her than I do but she always calls my number bless her heart. Praying things get better so please keep us in your prayers as well.

Rena-Wow your Son is so handsome and since he is from LA please put him in my box. LOL
    I love shopping and have not been on a shopping spree in awhile.

Margo-Glad the kitten found a new home.

Need to get busy and find something to cook for a funeral tomorrow.

Shirley

• smitties
    11 years ago

Oh Shirley, I am sorry to hear about more problems with your mom. We went through the same thing with my mom. She lived alone but started to fall and was on oxygen as well so wouldn't cook good meals because she didn't want to be too near the stove with oxygen. She couldn't get up on her own so sometimes called an ambulance so the drivers could get her up. She finally took a fall that broke some ribs and her ankle so she was put into a nursing home for rehab and we we were able to just get her to stay there as she definitely qualified. She was on social security and medicaid and had no money so they pay for it so they cover it. She isn't happy there but is in a much safer environment. None of us would be able to take care of her and her needs.

Will keep her in my prayers. Margo

• MoonFire
    11 years ago

Shirley sorry to hear about the bad news with your mom...I pray she gets better and that ya'll are able to handle things without any difficulty that have to be dealt with during this time...I know it can be a load on you...will just keep praying :)

Rena...that is a good lookin son you got there...my oldest daughter is 20 and single by choice...she said if I must intervene for her I could post her pic and they could be pen pals if he's not taken lol...it may be weird to set up a match making scheme here on garden web hahahaha

Sue your package went out in the mail today...the tracking # is 0311 3260 0001 1292 8326...i hope you enjoy it :)

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Annie -
    I'll be mailing your Bingo prize today. Thanks to everyone for playing Bingo.
    I'll also get back on here and list what swaps have been mailed and received so far. We are moving right along.
    Jeanne

• beth_b_kodiak
    11 years ago

My package arrived and .... Whooo Hoooo Annie sent me a Party in a Box.
    Nice work gal! It was such fun to unpack the goodies and it will be even more fun to have my party.
    Annie made a bright sunny card telling the wonders of California and all the fantastic things that grow there.
    California grows lots of fruits, citrus,vegetables, herbs, flowers, etc etc.
    Annie focused on Grapes as they grow practically in her back yard and because she especially likes them. Well, gee whiz, ME TOO!!!!
    I got a pretty burgundy tea towel with A bottle and glass of wine appliqued on it.
    Two small bottles full of the fruit of the vine.
    Home made Blackberry Jam in a jar with grapes featured on the glass.
    Two big heads of fresh garlic ( another product of CA)
    And, a pretty little dish with grapes painted into a leaf shape. This was holding a bar of goat milk soap with a grape design.
    All fun pretty and useful gifts.
    Now here is the party plan:
    I have a set of South western theme candle sticks from a swap MANY years ago, so I'll get burgundy candles.
    I have been experimenting with new bread recipes and have a new favorite onion/garlic that I will make into hot rolls.
    Jack will start a fire to grill a nice AZ steak and I'll put the garlic in to roast.
    When the food is ready we will wrap the hot rolls in the new towel, open the bottles, light the candles and enjoy a real feast.
    The roasted garlic spread on hot rolls mmmmmm and a nice juicy steak by candle light,a sip or so of the bottled grapes and then, a bit of vanilla ice cream topped with a dab of warm blackberry jam for desert. This just might be the best swap ever.
    WE could even finish by washing our hands with goat milk soap.
    Annie this just popped into my head as I unpacked the box and I was chuckling out loud thinking about it.
    Can't thank you enough.
    BB

• gardenofeden777
    11 years ago

PLEASE SOMEONE SEND ME SHIRLEYS ADDRESS!!

I thought that I had it! No.. and I have noone's phone #!!

I am in serious panic mode! It onlt takes 12 min. to the P.O. and its ready please someone be watching there e-mail and get this. Amen.

lol

Rena'

P.S. I have noones phone # either that could of been my lifeline... Woe is me.

• canyonwind
    11 years ago

Rena',

I just sent you Shirleys address via GW and via email.

Annie

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just e-mailed Shirley's address to you, Rena'
    Jeanne

• gardenofeden777
    11 years ago

Well heck, I've missed the P.O. oh that wouldn't have been a problem, IF SOMEBODY HADN'T OF WAITED 'TIL THE LAST DAY TO SHIP!! Sigh... Rena' sighs, takes a deep breath, looks around for someone else to blame... But with her ADD self that would be too time consuming and boring. Instead she decides to console herself by going outside and planting the Maryotts daylily order that arrived yesterday. Oh and why was that ordered? Oh yes, to curb the ridiculous embarassment that she felt after NOT once but TWICE faux bingoing on AMF!... O.K. gals, let the flogging begin...

Shirley - I am sorry, I thought that I had your address in my OBF notebook. We have been e-mailing back and forth so much that I thought that I had it. Well on the brite side your box is a large flat rate box and weighs 8.31 lbs (and not because I put an 8lb brick in it, lol) stuffed with... (oh I am so itching to say) - all sorts of everything. If anybody else wants to know just e-mail me!
    Except you Shirley! Since the surprises are for you! lol

And can everybody that reads this please send me your address and phone # unless you are worried I would talk your ear off. lol Except Vina & Jeanne I have y'alls in my notebook.

Carol - I chuckle every time I remember you saying "we gardeners here like new blood."

Katie - Got your e-mail and am def. writing back!

I love gardeners! But gardeners with a sense of humor are the bomb! (My kids give me all kinds of new & interesting words to use.) lol

Sue - If I had a facebook I would add you. Got your e-mail & will respond this evening (or tonite).

Hello to all my plant-pals!

Rena'

• brittneysgran
    11 years ago

Oh no Rena so sorry- I thought with all the e-mails going back and forth we had taken care of the mailing address for each other. This is exactly why I asked all members for their phone numbers and I need to get those compiled and sent to everyone along with the address of each member.
    You are so funny Rena you definetely add fun and excitement to our group. By the way did you get your package from me today? I mailed it Tuesday so you may get it tomorrow. Once I get to work I cannot use the Company computer for personal use so I don't see anything until I get home.

Thanks Jeanne and Annie for getting my address to Rena.

Rena-Did you say my box weighed only 8.3 lbs. You must have forgotten to put Christian in the box.

Shirley

• gardenofeden777
    11 years ago

O.K. I received Shirley's addy but alas not in time for today.

Annie - To Annie my sponsor: I had soooo intended to make your job easy, I thought sponsor o.k. but they'll see I GOT THIS! Um... yeah well I did in my dreams Annie. Geesh,
    I can barely tolerate myself, this is a wonderful, wonderful group to put up with me and my melodrama. lol No worries girls, by the time 2026 rolls around I'll have it down pat, promise! lol

Fun Facts for Louisiana

Louisiana has the tallest state capitol building in the United States; the building is 450 feet tall with 34 floors.

Metairie is home to the longest bridge over water in the world, the Lake Pontchartrain causeway. The causeway connects Metairie with St. Tammany Parish on the North Shore. The causeway is 24 miles long.

Breaux Bridge is known as the "Crawfish Capital of the World".

Rayne is known as the "The Frog Capital of the World".

Mamou bills itself as "The Cajun Music Capital of the World." Mamou musicians, in particular the musicians who have perform at Fred's Lounge have been a major force in expanding the audience for Cajun music far beyond Southwest Louisiana.

Louisiana is the only state in the union that does not have counties. Its political subdivisions are called parishes.

Louisiana was named in honor of King Louis XIV.

The Eastern Brown Pelican is the state bird

The Magnolia is the state flower

The Bald Cypress is the state tree

The official song is "Give me Louisiana"

The state wildflower is The Louisiana Iris

The state insect is the Honeybee

The state freshwater fish is the White Perch

The state mammal is the Louisiana Black Bear

The state crustacean is the Crawfish

The state amphibian is the Green Tree Frog

The state reptile is the Alligator

The state drink is Milk

The unofficial state drink is the Hurricane

The state dog is the Catahoula Leopard Dog, often called the Catahoula Hound

The state musical instrument is the "Cajun Accordion"

Mardi Gras colors are Purple (Justice), Gold (Power), and
    Green (Faith)

Mardi Gras begins after Twelfth Night, on Epiphany, and ends on Fat Tuesday, the day before Ash Wednesday.

Nutria is a Large semi-aquatic rodent. Nutria are smaller than a beaver but larger than a muskrat

Boudin is a type of sausage link that is used in Cajun and Creole dishes. It includes rice and other ingredients like crawfish, pork, alligator, etc. Boudin Noir is with pig blood

Turducken is a partially deboned turkey with a deboned duck inside and a deboned chicken inside that. Each has a different stuffing as well.

In Louisiana, biting someone with your natural teeth is considered a simple assault, but biting someone with your false teeth is considered an aggravated assault.

The Saint Charles streetcar line in New Orleans is one of two of the nation's only mobile national monuments

Jennings is called the "Garden Spot of Louisiana" for it's rich and productive farmland.

Bayou: \BUY-you\ n. a French name for slow-moving "river"

The oldest town in Louisiana is Natchitoches which was established in 1714.

Gueydan is known as the "Duck Capital of America" in recognition of its abundance of waterfowl.

Mamou bills itself as "The Cajun Music Capital of the World."

Louisiana Nicknames: Pelican State; Bayou State; Sportsman’s Paradise

Louisiana State Colors: Gold, white and blue

The state fossil: Petrified palmwood

The state gemstone: Agate

The state motto: "Union, Justice, Confidence"

The highest elevation is Driskill Mountain in Bienville Parish at 535 feet above sea level

The lowest elevation is New Orleans at eight feet below sea level

The first opera performed in America was in 1796 in New Orleans

The oldest salt dome in the Western Hemisphere was discovered in Avery Island in 1862

Rena'

• canyonwind
    11 years ago

Good Morning/Afternoon OBF'ERS,

I received "Show Off Your State" from Beth yesterday. Beth is from my neighbor...the fine state of Arizona!!!! I have visited AZ many, many times over the years and truly enjoy it each and every time I go!!

Beth sent me....

**a milky way candy bar...that guy I live with thanks you!

**Instead of a card, Beth sent me two "Arizona Highways" magazines.
    1) "Scenic Drives"...traveling the roads of Arizona via the automobile.
    2) "Wildflowers"......yes the AZ desert can put on a magnificent wildflower show in the Spring. Beth, I would suspect, this depends on how much rain you guys get?????
    This issue also speaks of great hikes for one who loves flowers!!

**Two good size cactus...the real thing...LOL! Nice and prickly....LOL! Are these Saguaro????? I believe that is your state flower????? My husband thought they might be Prickly Pear....I don't know about that! How would these do in a pot with sandy soil???? These are very cool!!!

Beth also sent info on farming in Yuma, AZ....a winter haven for growing vegetables. She told me about where she lives and the challenge of growing "anything". Beth even wrote on pretty blue paper to show the color of her desert sky.

What a great swap! I so enjoyed this Beth! For those of you who have never ventured to AZ. The desert is quite beautiful and the terrain, obviously is unique.

And you are close to Wickenburg???? I recall a fun little bar in Wickenburg!!!

Thanks so much!

And to Rena' Faux Pas (I just love the sound of that)....happy to help you when you faux pas or not...LOL!

Tata....happy Friday!

Annie

• hazelnutbunny
    11 years ago

I received a wonderful box from Margo today!
    (Everything looks great, Margo...I know you were concerned about the plants, but they look fine. I'll baby them for a while and make sure they pop back, but I really think they will be OK.)

Margo sent: Lavender & balloon flower plants, along with a handmade spoon plant stake for each!
    Also included: a postcard with a picture of the Wood County Courthouse in Bowling Green, OH. A large bag of mixed seeds. A package of Almondina chocolate cherry biscuits (yum!), which are made in Maumee, OH, just 15 minutes from Margo's town of Bowling Green. These are sold in the gift shop where she works as well.
    A board book called "My First Ohio State Words" (Ohio State University- the Buckeyes). VERY neat!
    She also included a local newspaper, which will be fun to read while I"m munching on those biscuits & enjoying my coffee! :)

Margo, THANK YOU for everything! It was a terrific box, and I'm excited to learn a little bit more about your neck of the woods! :)

• margaret_2007
    11 years ago

Hello, Lovely Ladies-I have really enjoyed all the information about the States coming thru. I had quite a time getting things ready for Michelle but finally got it in the mail.

Michelle- Your confirmation # is 0311 2550 0001 5574 7901. We aren't very far away from each other so it shouldn't take long to get to you. I do hope you enjoy the contents.

The weekend is here again & pray I will feel good enough tomorrow to get some work done outside. The weather is lovely I've so much to do! Have a wonderful weekend, All. Blessings, Margaret

• smitties
    11 years ago

Bunny, I am so glad those plants made it and I learned a little bit more about mailing at our post office. I fell short explaining much about our college town of Bowling Green. Yes, we have our own college here yet none of our five kids opted to go there. Preferred to go away and so far two never came back and I don't think the youngest two will either. Our middle child is still in the area with her husband so that's nice.

I have to tell you that my daughter describes the are here as so flat, you can watch your dog run away for days.

Margo

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    11 years ago

What a great idea to send the local newspaper. (Now why didn't I think of that?)

Anyway, I am trying to list who has mailed and who has received. If I made a mistake, let me know. Woke up at 3:45 a.m. this morning and couldn't get back to sleep. It has been a long day!

Melissa - Margo (Both have received)
    Margaret - Michelle (Pkg sent to Michelle)
    Melody - Vina
    Beth - Annie (Both have received)
    Rena' - Shirley

...and then because of the odd number:
    Jeanne sends to Dianne (Received)
    Dianne sends to Sue G (Sent)
    Sue G sends to Jeanne

The pacakges everyone put together have been great!
    Jeanne

• gardenofeden777
    11 years ago

I have been busy as heck y'all! Sorry for the late responses! And on my last post I must of been typing when Shirley posted!

Shirley - Lol, He is so handsome I know! I'm a proud Momma yes indeed. Oh did I say 8.3? Oh no I meant 148.3! Now he eats 5 meals a day plus snacks! You better get to Sam's Club and stock up! lol Here's the DC on your package - 0310 1230 0001 1960 6810

No, the one you sent hasn't come in yet. Probably Monday our little P.O. is closed on Saturdays. Maybe we'll both
    get them the same day!

Praying for you and your family Shirley.

Margo - That's funny! My daughters went next door and brought all of the kittens over to play. Sigh we named them all and now are so attached. If you lived close you could come visit the kitties and and adopt a few!

Oh BTW I loved that pic. of you and your family after the race! How wonderful!

Dianne - Thank you he is good looking, and even sweeter!

Jeanne & Beth - Thank y'all for sending me Shirley's address!

Annie - Thank you so much! I put your cell # in my notebook for safe keeping. And we all know I'll need it eventually! Poor Annie, everyone should send her a sympathy card for volunteering to be my sponsor! lol Thank you for responding to my SOS!

My day_ I ordered a few more daylilies. Variegated Kwanzo. Do any of y'all grow that one? I've been wanting it forever. I collect variegated plants, and have almost every variegated bearded iris available. I think there are only 2 or 3 that I don't have.

Started revamping one of my 11 gardens. O.k. I read all the warnings on NOT to plant honey suckle in your garden, I was gonna show them! Well... the 1st 2 years it was well tamed oh my gosh the 3rd, it was a monster! Seedlings are everywhere, the little roots that get missed resprout. I kick myself in the butt every time I work in that garden!

I have a sun garden that is literally in the shape of a sun. I made it with bricks. And initially it was going to be all yellow, orange and red plants - you know the colors of the sun. Somehow along the way I started putting other colors in there and now that is on my project list to get back in there and move all the "wrong" colors out.

I have a garden that I planted some mini conifers in and it was going to be scale for a fairy garden. But I also planted some plants in there that has thrown that out of balance so that's on the redo list also.

What are y'alls garden plans/chores/projects either started or on your "to do" list?

Here in Louisiana we garden all year long. The ground never freezes. In the winter the "almost no weeds" is really nice. I ordered all kinds of exotic amaryllis this year and want to pollinate them with the pollen from my fragrant reblooming crinum herbertii. And hopefully get some unique amarcrinums.

Oh and the note to Katie above she is a FOTESSer not an OBFer, sorry! Although I would love her to join OBF y'all would too, she is crazy funny!

Have an excellent weekend everyone!

Rena'

• sguanzon
    11 years ago

Good morning!

My car has been the shop for two weeks finally got it back yesterday afternoon so I can finish up Jeanne's box and get it out to her tomorrow -

I received Dianne's box on Friday and here is what I got!

Several magazines of Alabama and Alabama Funny Pages - really interesting stuff!
    a spiral bond notebook - always need these to keep track of trades
    Postcards of the area and some of Dianne's favorite wildflower seeds - I'll have to try these
    A confederate jasmine cutting to remind me of Alabama's role in the Confederacy
    A beautiful wooden box "Live Laugh Love"
    A lovely note explaining the contents and their meaning
    Some yummy homemade pear relish - hubby wants some with dinner tonight

Thanks Dianne!

• sguanzon
    11 years ago

Shirley,

Send me your addy - I have your hyacinth bean seeds ready to send.

Sue G

• beth_b_kodiak
    11 years ago

Annie, sorry for the slow answer.
    The cactus are not suguaro, those are tall and skinny but huge. Very tall and very heavy.
    The ones I sent are opunita engelmanii, for very good photos of this colorful cactus, go to
    Southeastern Arizona Wildflowers
    opunita emgelmanii-cactus apple
    Both the fruits, prickly pears, and the pads, nopalita, are edible.
    I always root the pads in pots and after a year or so plant them out. They get large but new plants seem to be extra vulnerable to the hungry Javelina. Some of my favorites were eaten before I realized this. LOL
    Yes, we are north of Wickenburg and south of Prescott. Both are neat places where you just might see a prospector and his burrow walking down the street.
    We like the Cowboy Cafe in Wickenburg but have not been there since it was moved down town.
    This was a fun swap and nice to get to know Annie and a bit more about our neighbor state.
    Jeannie, thanks for hosting such a fun theme.

• Michelle Reynolds
    11 years ago

hello
    I got a great box yesterday from Margaret, thanks.
    she sent me....
    three great packages of bulbs double tulips, margurita tulips, and salome dafs, I'm just putting in a new bulb garden so these are great.
    plant markers
    some chips made in burlington,IA.
    a small hummingbird feeder, I like the small feeders.
    beanut butter and honey crackers.
    tootsie pops( my boys claimed these)
    suit block for the birds, just got a new feeder yesterday, what a coinsadence.
    hershey symphany choc bar.
    corn holders( funny Iowa...corn... I get it)
    Iowa ref magnet
    a Iowa hawkeyes card and 2 Iowa post cards.

what a great box, mine is a little late was waiting for something to come in the mail but it is late, I will get a small box off monday and send you another box what my order comes in.

thanks for the great stuff, I loved it
    michelle

• MoonFire
    11 years ago

Sue you're so welcome for the box :) and everything in it...I was a little nervous about the pear relish as i wasn't sure if ya'll ate that type of thing but it is a favorite down here...so glad your hubby likes it ! ...i almost got you a bigger jar of it and guess i should have lol...if ya ever want anymore just give me a holler and if there's any to be found i'll pick it right up...the pear relish, something we call "chow chow", and strawberry/fig jelly are 3 of our local favorites...i really wanted to send you some "chow chow" but noone had any right now so I went with the pear relish :)

• brittneysgran
    11 years ago

Nice boxes being received good job everyone.

Rena-I hear you on the invasive plants. Gosh I hate some things that I got started in my beds. Mint is one of the worst with roots traveling underground at a high rate of speed. I found it growing up in the middle of a dead tree stump the other day. Love variegated plants. I found a variegated Rose Of Sharon on one of my trips to Atlanta, Ga. boy was I excited.

Sue G.-sending my address and thanks for the seeds.

Shirley

• flowergirl34
    11 years ago

Hi! So sorry I've missed a week. Kids got sick and then a couple days later, wouldn't ya know it I get it too and then some! Lost my voice, was in bed for 2 days. That was horrible!

My voice came back yesterday and I'm starting on the mend :) Just feel like I'm trying to play 'catch-up'.

I just checked emails, haven't in a week, and Melody emailed me back on the 15th that she was getting my box tog. I plan on mailing out Melody's box on Thursday.

Hope everyone is well!
    Talk to you later!
    vina

ps. playing catch up in no fun :(

• flowergirl34
    11 years ago

Lordy! Annie, I just remembered I need to mail out your prize from MNF Bingo. The Firestorm Daylily. I didn't forget ya!!
    I'll mail that out on Thursday too. Post DC when I do.

Good heavens! I need to make a list...
    vina

• canyonwind
    11 years ago

Beth....thanks for the info on the cactus! Tells you how much I know....nada when it comes to cactus, among other things...LOL!

Jeanne...THANK YOU!! I received my prize (Palmetto Tree bookmark and a South Carolina postcard with the recipe for FROGMORE STEW)on Saturday. Now that stew sounds delicious. Another "something" that I have never heard of. Do you South Carolinians make this often?? Or is this common only in the Beufort area?? Is this served in resaurants as Frogmore Stew, Beufort or Low Country Stew?? I just do not recall this the last time I was in SC. I love local food!

Vina...you need not send me anything!! Take care!

The "state" boxes sent/received have been great!! Jeanne, loved this swap....Thanks!!

Annie

• brittneysgran
    11 years ago

Came home to the most awesome box ever. Rena really outdid herself sending all these fantastic things in her state box.

Bag of black & gold blend coffee
    Slap ya mama cajun seasoning-yeah
    Bag of Cobbler mix(just add fruit)
    Writing pad & pen
    Coffee cup with flowers
    Bag of honey butter cornbread mix
    Native species iris breuicoulis
    Louisiana gardener landscape magazine
    Helping hands sticky notes
    Potted iris sculpture
    Thank you for being my friend stamp pad
    Red hat bird house
    Native cactus upuntia bulbs
    Daisy seeds
    Aesturium snowball bulbs
    Gladioulus communis cruentus bulbs
    Wooden chest
    Lycoris radiata red spider lily bulbs

Rena-Wow you really did do some serious shopping on this box. I was cooking dinner and eyed that bag of honey butter cornbread mix so fixed it. DH could not quit eating the cornbread until all gone it was so delicious. YUM
    Will try the cobbler mix tomorrow. I definetely don't need to tell you how to pack a box. Thank you so much and sure hope your box arrived. Don't know why I pay for 2-3 days priority mail it never gets there in 2-3 days.

Vina-So glad you are some better and back with us. I hate being sick and plan to take the flu shot they are offering at work.

Shirley

• gardenofeden777
    11 years ago

Shirley - Thank you Shirley I received my box today from you! And we did both get them the same day, how 'bout that! :-)

In my box from Shirley was:
    A beautiful card with a Northern Cardinal, North Carolina's state bird.

A recipe card for "Shirley's Pound Cake" & "Baked Mac & Cheese"

5 tourism brochures and a Traveler's Travel Guide for the Smoky Mtns. (very interesting)

An Autumn journal (I can never have enough of these!)

A neat little memory book that she made of tourism sites. (I believe I have to put North Carolina on my list of places to go now.)

2 Daylilies - Laura Harwood boy I really wanted this one too!
    Spacecoast Picotee Prince my 1st Spacecoast daylily!

Crocosmia - Emilie Mckenzie corms

I love everything Shirley! Thank you very much!

I'm glad you liked your box.
    I had started a note in your notebook to you explaining everything but didn't finish.

1.) In Louisiana we have a treasure trove of native flora. (chest)
    2.) A native Iris here is the species brevicaulis also commonly called "Zigzag" Iris.
    3.) Spider Lilies, 4.) Leucojum aestivum "Snowbells", and 5.) Gladiolus communis "Cruentus" (a hardy glad.) have all naturalized in our state.
    6.) Our state is well known for its Southern hospitality, and everyone's always willing to lend a helping hand to even strangers.
    7.) Everyone is always ready for company that just drops in with coffee and dessert on hand.
    8.) Even non sports fans (like myself) are really into our football team The New Orleans Saints and their colors are black & gold. (The coffee bag had a fleur de lis on it also.)
    9.) The hat birdhouse matched the red hat on the pic. at the top of all OBF threads. Had to get that even though it had nothing to do with my state.
    10.) All the food items were made here in Louisiana.
    11.) The plastic zip bags with hook is for seed saving in your garden & the clip is to hook it on your waistband. The colors of Mardi Gras.
    12.) Most people aren't even aware that we have 3 native cactus here in LA! Yep, Opuntia compressa, (I sent you two fruits of this one), Opuntia drummondi and Opuntia lindheimeri. We also have native yuccas. (But I couldn't fit one more thing in that box Shirley believe me I tried too even stuff a Cafe Du Monde beignet mix in there it just wouldn't go.)
    13.) Put the LA garden mag. in place of a card.

I'm glad you liked everything! This was so fun!

Jeanne - I found 2 books a couple of years ago on Amazon specifically on variegated plants. One focuses on plants 'Variegated Leaves' by Susan Condor & the other one is 'Variegated Trees & Shrubs' by Ronald Houtman. Both are great books but I try not to look at them to often as it usually sets me off on a fanatical trek to find some elusive plant, that I pay too much money for, that croaks on me. lol Oh a variegated Rose Of Sharon I know that is beautiful! (MUST NOT OPEN BOOK and look... ) lol

Rena'

• gardenofeden777
    11 years ago

Lol this is what happens from stayin' up late and getting up early.

Sorry Shirley, I went back and reread last several posts & you found the Rose Of Sharon!

Rena'

• canyonwind
    11 years ago

Shirley...I emailed you my phone # 1-2 months ago. Did you receive?
    I would love an OBF phone number or two...just in case!!!

Rena', I sent you mail via GW!

Super North Carolina and Louisiana boxes from Shirley and Rena'.

Happy Tuesday!

Annie

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    11 years ago

What wonderful boxes people are sending! It amazes me every time I read what is sent.

Here's our updated list:

Margaret - Michelle (Michelle received)
    Melody - Vina
    Rena' - Shirley (Both have received)

Dianne sends to Sue G (Received)
    Sue G sends to Jeanne

Vina, sorry to hear you've been sick. Get well soon.

I always enjoy reading all the posts. The board has had lots of fun on it this month!

Jeanne

• Michelle Reynolds
    11 years ago

hello
    mine went in the mail yesterday
    should get there soon, we are so close.
    michelle

• MoonFire
    11 years ago

I just wanted to stop by and say I have enjoyed this swap and all this good company on here lol...i do have a real life very much so but it's always nice to be able to sit down and visit friends where you can just relax for a few and share your day :)...so thanks to all of ya'll for making this a great group and for accepting me into it...my 1st experience with the group was lots of fun and it's nice to get to know ya'll...ttyl, dianne

• brittneysgran
    11 years ago

Oct. flowergirl34
    Nov. nottougly
    Dec. margaret_2007

Active Members of OBF
    Amy/serenity_lane_ga
    Annnie/canyonwind
    Carol/veega11
    Christine/Christine00
    Dianne/moonfire
    Faye/nottougly
    Janet/1JanetH
    Jeanne/sandlapper_rose
    Jen/jlee160
    Margaret/margaret-2007
    Margo/smitties
    Mary Ellen/mellen
    Maryanne/earthlydelights
    Melissa/hazelnutbunny
    Melody/astroknot
    Michelle/micyrey
    Rena-gardenofeden777
    Rose/rosemctier
    Shirley/brittneysgran
    Sue/sguanzon
    Vina/flowergirl34

Vina-You have the month of Oct. can't wait to join this one.

Annie-I will check and see which phone numbers I am missing and get that list out to everyone. I know I don't have a few of the newer members.

Shirley

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Whew, this month flew by!

Today I received my box from Sue G. Wow! So many of you have sent such wonderful boxes and now that I had already sent, I am full of ideas of what I could have sent. LOL Maybe one day we will do this swap again and just match so that we send to a different person.

Anyway, Sue sent a mini cholla cactus (and she kindly warned me to be careful unwrapping it), a medicinal aloe plant (I love these for when you get a burn - I keep it handy in the kitchen and the one I have is on its last leg so this is a nice, large replacement), a set of postcards of Arizona (so beautiful!), Coconut Scented Geranium Seeds (I love scented geraniums and haven't had one for several years now so this is great), Arizona Sun Gaillardia seeds, some magazines about Arizona and gardening in Arizona (wow, the plant life is really different from what we have here!), and a scorpion paperwight. Glad it's a dead scorpion, Sue. Sure wouldn't want to deal with one of those.
    Also, Sue said there was a mesquite seedling, but I hope it didn't get tossed away. I went through the wrappings a second time and just couldn't find it.
    Your package was fantastic, Sue, and it really cheered up my day. Thanks so much!

Here's our updated list:

Margaret - Michelle (Michelle received and mailed)
    Melody - Vina

Sue G sends to Jeanne (Recived)

Just a few more people to hear from and then the swap will be closed. I hope I didn't msis anyone's post.

Jeanne

• flowergirl34
    11 years ago

Morning everyone!

Melody, shipped your "State" off to you yesterday. Left the DC in the car, I'll post when I bring it in. :) Hope you likey.

Annie, there is NO way I'm NOT going to send you your SUPER Bingo Prize. In fact, it's on the way as I type. Mailed out yesterday. And that DC is also in the car :) I'll post when I bring in.

I'll be posting October on Monday :) Hope your in the mood for something S~P~O~O~K~Y ! :)

Talk to you later!
    vina

ps. Thanks everyone! I'm feeling much better by the way :)

• earthlydelights
    11 years ago

Hello everyone. Great swap. Sorry I missed this one too. I am hoping to get back into the swing of things real soon. I can't believe it's the end of September already, this year sure has ticked away quickly. I feel we are in for a harsh winter, and i'm sure that will just drag on and on. I prefer the cold to the heat, but my winter activities sure will be curtailed this year!

Jeanne this was a great idea for a swap and I agree, I sure hope somewhere down the line it is repeated. I miss those mystery boxes we used to do too!!!!

Well, I hope everyone had an enjoyable summer. I have so much yard work to do, but i am hoping winter helps out with all the overgrown mess that once was my back yard. it looks like a jungle. I did buy a new chain saw right before my HA, but i still haven't used it. Not ready to exert myself like that just yet.

Be well everyone!
    Maryanne

• brittneysgran
    11 years ago

Maryanne-Glad to see your post, yes this years has flown by. I believe Sept. went quicker than any month. I have been wide open getting flower beds trimmed and mulched before Winter. You take it easy and don't over do.

We have a new member in our group. Katie (kchd) e-mailed me and asked to join the group. She has traded with 3 of our members so became an OBFer. Everyone welcome Katie please.

Katie-I hope you can join our Oct. swap which is forth coming. Vina will be the host and does an excellent job each and every time she hosts.

Shirley

• margaret_2007
    11 years ago

Hello, Lovely Ladies-My internet has been down the last 2 days, long enough I was getting the shakes! I received Michelle's package. I know with all she sent, I hope I don't forget to list everything!
    Plants-Sedum Autumn Fire-Iris, white & chocolate-Surprise Lily's, Pink Home-made bag of goodies-the cutest bag she had made filled with Clam shells to lay in flowerbeds that fill with water when it rains for butterflies, Clam shells & beads to hang in the garden, (Just darling),saying she gets the shells by the River Fabius by their home. What a talented Lady! A Pocket Naturalist Guide to Roadside Wildflowers (so interesting as I have been looking at since the Internet has been down), A book, " Tried & True Missouri Native Plants" which I have also been looking at, Gardener's Soap, Deck of Cards "Missoui, The Show-Me State", A beautiful card with a Cardinal on it, a Missouri magnet for the refrigerator. Now for the seeds,--Iron Weed, Hosta, Big Mama, Red Bud Tree, Tithonia Sunflower, Wild Parsnip Catepilar Food Plant, Giant Imperial Larkspur, Milkweed, Mimosa Tree, Batchelor Buttons. I can certainly see this Lovely Lady truly loves the wonderful creatures & plants God has blest us with. Thank you so much, Michelle-

Also, Thanks to you, Jeanne, for hosting this great swap & all who participated making it so interesting. It has been fun & rewarding learning about some of the States of this wonderful country. GOD BLESS AMERICA! Blessings, Margaret

• canyonwind
    11 years ago

Katie (kchd), WELCOME to OBF!!!

Thanks again Jeanne!! So enjoyed this swap.

Another great box for Margaret from Michelle!!

Happy Saturday!!

Annie

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Welcome, Katie! You will love it here at OBF.

Boxes updated once again:

Margaret - Michelle (Both have received)
    Melody - Vina (Vina has sent)

Sue G sends to Jeanne (Recived)

Once Melody and Vina have received, the swap will be complete.

Jeanne

• Astroknot
    11 years ago

Hello everyone,

So sorry I've been MIA. Just been so unorganized lately. :( Not even able to keep up with Gardenweb.

I mailed Vina's package late (again, so sorry!), on Thursday. The delivery confirmation # is 9505500013352271000084. According to USPS, it was delivered to NY this morning.

Also, I wanted to let you guys know that Vina's package from NY just arrived here. She sent me:

-- divisions of "Big Apple" daylily (ah, what a lovely color! I gravitate towards it just like a hummingbird.)
    -- cute little solar-powered sunflower desktop decoration (under bright light it dances around)
    -- some pamphlets about New York (Six Nations Indian Village; postcard featuring the "state pest", the Asian longhorned beetle; New York Camping Guide book; Adirondack Forest Preserve map; save the Wetlands conservation poster; New York State Fair program guide; and two Arbor Day posters.

Thank you Vina! Hope you enjoyed my package, and sorry it arrived so late.

~ Melody

• MoonFire
    11 years ago

I just wanted to say I loved this swap...thanks all for making it great...educational too lol...there are fun ways to learn new things and this was 1 of them :)

• flowergirl34
    11 years ago

Morning!

My super package arrived from Melody on Saturday. I can't believe HOW much she got into that box!

In my amazing "California" box was:
    ~2 Japanese Balloons for the kids (so cute!)
    ~a California mix CD. Haven't listened to it yet, but can't wait!The note says these song remind Melody about California :) I Left My Heart in San Fransisco...I love this song!
    ~Plant stakes
    ~A Beautiful Flower hair clip. Taylor wore this to school today! Did you make this? It is SO pretty!
    ~Maxea Plant Food. This is a California Company
    ~A Cable Car Post Card
    ~California Note Cards. Printed in Del Monte Oaks, Monterey.
    ~Ghirardelli Chocolate...another California Company! YUMMY!!
    ~California Native Seeds: Poppy: Confetti Mix
    And more seeds!
    ~Viola: Sorbet Marina Babyface
    ~Salvia: Forest Fire
    ~Columbine: Mrs. Scott Elliot
    ~Nigella: Bridal Veil
    ~Crocomosia: Lucifer
    ~Nigella: Persian Violet
    ~Nigella: Mulberry Rose
    I really need to look some of these up. I bet they are just gorgeous!

Melody, THANK YOU SO MUCH!! This was a most thoughtful and thought out package. Every single part was a special California touch :)

Everything was wrapped with adorable fuzzy ribbon and labeled with cute little sayings. This was just so thoughtful!

I can't thank you enough!

And, I'm so happy to see that my box made it to you. I was hoping you didn't have that daylily already. It seemed fitting since I'm part of the "big apple", lol. :)

Have a super day everyone!
    vina

ps. I'm posting October right now. Who's ready for some spooky fun?

pss. THANKS AGAIN MELODY!

• flowergirl34
    11 years ago

Sorry, forgot one last thing in my package.

Melody sent me a recipe for Pavlova, a delicious meringue dessert. I actually put this over by my recipe clip next to the stove. I plan on making it tomorrow and made my grocery list for ingredients this morning. :)

LOVE IT! Looks so yummy! I may need to do an extra 40 minutes on the treadmill, but it looks so worth it :)

• Astroknot
    11 years ago

Vina, glad you liked it! I did not make the flower clip, it's actually a souvenir I had from Hawaii (couldn't track down a California flower), but when there's a song with the lyrics, "If you're going to San Francisco, be sure to wear flowers in your hair", I just had to include it.

And no, I don't have the "Big Apple" daylily yet, so I've very excited to plant it. I don't have much of a daylily collection, actually. Up until three months ago, I didn't even know what a daylily IS! Lol. So thank you!

~ Melody

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Still more great boxes have arrived at their destination. Thanks to everyone for the great communication this month and such wonderful, creative packages being sent.
    Okay, that wraps things up. Be sure to check out the October swap!
    Jeanne

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    11 years ago

While I was out of town, I received two more plants from Sue G. My husband opened the box and put them in soil for me so hopefully they are fine. I will go outside to check them out once it warms up a little. Thanks again, Sue!
    Jeanne

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living