Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
NEW: Our Bloomin Friends - Sept. Swap: Show Off Your State

Posted by sandlapper_rose z7B-8A SC (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 30, 12 at 13:25

OBF September Swap: Show Off Your State
Photobucket

Let me begin by saying that Our Bloomin Friends requires you to be member before you can join in on one of the swaps. If you are interested in membership, please contact Shirley or Carol.

What we will do for the month of September is Show Off Our State with what we mail to our swap partner. Two things will be required, but you can send more if you like. Just don't feel like you have to spend a lot of money for this one. It's the thought that counts and your creativity.

1. Include a card that represents your state or the area you live in. A post card is great, but it doesn't have to be a post card. You can make the card yourself or you can embellish a store bought card by adding stickers, information, or anything you wish. Remember though that it has to represent your area so if your store bought card doesn't do that, get creative with it!

2. Include at least one item that is plant related in your swap. Again, this has to relate to your area or state. I think most of us can still receive plants in September so it could be a native plant, one common to your area, one with the name of your area (like "Boston fern" for Boston), an appropriate pack of seeds that meets those same requirements, or even a decorative item picturing a plant associated with your state. Here in SC, we have lots of items with palmetto trees pictured on them. Something like that is fine... or for SC, tea (only tea plantation in the US) or something made of cotton for SC (yes, cotton was a big southern crop for many, many years... and it comes from a plant!) You will know your area better than I do, so put on your thinking cap.

I'm sure those examples will give you some ideas, but if you have any questions, just ask. Sign up by September 8th and mail by Sept. 20th. That way any live plants can make it though without extremely cold weather.

I hope you'll join in! I'm looking forward to it.
Jeanne

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: NEW: Our Bloomin Friends - Sept. Swap: Show Off Your State

Love your idea! I think I can do this one, Jeanne! I haven't swapped in a long time, I miss it!

o

Count me in!

~ Melody

o

What a great idea & I am so pleased that you have signed up,Bunny. I have thought of you & your family so often & am looking forward to hear all about what is happening with you & yours. Please sign me up & already have some ideas for sending. Blessings, Margaret

o

Bunny, so glad to hear from you. Been thinking about you and your family. :)

Very cute idea!
Sign me up please!
vina :)

o

Jeanne, I like the theme and it seems easy too. Good going girl!
Bunny, it has been a long time I guess for each of us. Good to hear that you are back. hope all in your family are well.
bethb

o

I'm in too. Beth and I will be in an Arizona "fight out" she's the first friend in groups I've ever had that lives here. Hey Beth I was here 1st (1959). But welcome anyway. Beth I believe, lives out in the middle of nowhere. Scorpions and Coyotes haven't gotten you yet Beth LOL?

Looking forward to this month!

Sue G

o

Jeanne-Love this...Count me in. This one should be so easy so I hope every member gets to join in on this.

Leaving tomorrow to go camping, we have only been twice this whole year so looking forward to it. I love 3 day week-ends.

DH killed two copperhead snakes this afternoon. No one lives in the house next to ours so the weeds are as tall as the house (my Aunt did live there but is in a nursing home). I'm sure that is where the snakes came from. He was coming home and ran over them in the road. Gosh I hate snakes.

Shirley

o

Glad to see members joining in! Here is our list so far... and I should have thought to ask this to begin with, please let me know what state you are in so I won't match one New Yorker with another, etc.

Jeanne - SC
Melissa - AR
Melody
Margaret - IA
Vina - NY
Beth -
Sue G - AZ
Shirley - NC

Shirley, I can't say I like poisonous snakes, but send any others my way. I have voles that want to eat all the roots on my plants and maybe some extra snakes would get all of them. (Just kidding, post office would not like that a bit!)

Jeanne

o

Jeanne, I'm in California. :)

Spastic weather here, by the way. Two days ago it was hot, barely any breeze, sunny. And now the marine layer has drifted back and everything is GREY. It's like, "oh, late August, here have some sun JUST KIDDING!"

~ Melody

o

gotta sit out this month, srry, I dislike snakes, lived in az 6 yrs never saw a snake, had a rattler strike at me after that I spotted them everywhere, dh thought I was loony till i showed a few to him.I now have the rattler sight. hugs to all my bloomin friends, no rain in 38 days carol is dryin up and blowin away. nice to see ya Melissa, wonderin today how you met your hubby, don't know why just came to my mindPhotobucket

o

Oh wow, I can think of a hundred things for this right off the bat! Um I am a member of FOTESS is this the same? Or do I have to join 'Bloomin' Friends' for this? I'll go see what I can find out. And does what I send have to be kept a secret?
Alright guess I already know the answer.

Oh also I'm in Louisiana, so lots of swamps, gators, turtles, crawfish & yikes moccasins too. (No not shoes! Snakes! lol) The absolute opposite of the desert. But the desert is where I was born. I was born in Jal, New Mexico.
Both of my parents are from Louisiana but my dad was a carpenter before he retired and he traveled a lot for work. Never without us though he always took us along. When I was 2 my parents moved back to LA. When I was 4 we moved to Deerpark, TX. When I was 6 1/2 we moved back again. When I was 10 we moved to Conway, AR. We moved back when I was 13 1/2. And at 15 off to N.O. That's where I met & married my husband and my 1st child was born. And when I was 23 we moved to New Mexico for 5 1/2 years. We came back and our family had grown & now we had 3 children. One of the reasons we moved back was to be closer to our families as my husband needed help in tending me and the children. What a trooper my husband has been caring for me when I didn't even recognize him. And fast forward to today... We have 5 children Christian 22 (boy), Thunder 13 (boy), Shanna 12 (girl), Summer 7 (girl) & Nakota 4 (boy).

I've mostly been a lurker for 5 years but am having a blast here on the swap, everyone is so friendly and nice!
I have a lot of native plants in my garden. And my crinums are hardy down to zone 5 if planted 12" deep and mulched.

Rena'

o

Nice to see that you are interested in this group, Rena' - it is different from FOTESS, but some of us are members of both groups. Shirley or Carol will need to respond about membership here. I think Shirley is away for a few days with this being a holiday weekend. Carol may be able to help out.

Jeanne

o

Jeanne, Sue is totally right that she was here first.the date she gives makes me figure she must be way older than I would have guessed. LOL.
And, yes I am way out in the boonies. High desert has all sorts of interesting plants and animals. Actually there is a LOT about AZ than many people don't know so having two of us here is a good thing.
Rena, I too have/ had the travel bug. I always wonder what's down that road or over that ridge and as often as possible, I go to take a look.
Carol, we'll miss you. Hope you get rain soon. That is a long time for your area.

o

Rena please send me an email, would love to have you join us.please check to see if you have traded with any of us. look forward to hearing from you. hugs carol

o

I would like to join in on this swap. What a great idea. I am in Ohio. I live in the most boring part of the state with corn and soybean all around. We are so flat that my daughter says you can watch your dog run away for days.

Smitties

o

I'll update the list of those who have signed up later today or tomorrow. Glad to see so many signing up.

Here's the list of current members, Rena' - may help you to see if you have swapped with one of us.

Active Members of OBF
Amy/serenity_lane_ga
Annnie/canyonwind
Carol/veega11
Christine/Christine00
Faye/nottougly
Janet/1JanetH
Jeanne/sandlapper_rose
Jen/jlee160
Margaret/margaret-2007
Margo/smitties
Mary Ellen/mellen
Maryanne/earthlydelights
Melissa/hazelnutbunny
Melody/astroknot
Michelle/micyrey
Rose/rosemctier
Shirley/brittneysgran
Sue/sguanzon
Vina/flowergirl34
Rose/rosemetier

Thanks for noticing her posting on the thread, Carol.

Jeanne

o

Updating the list of who is now signed up for the swap:

Jeanne - SC
Melissa - AR
Melody - CA
Margaret - IA
Vina - NY
Beth - AZ
Sue G - AZ
Shirley - NC
Margo - OH

I hope everyone is having a good weekend.
Jeanne

o

Carol I can vouch for Rena (gardenofeden777)

Sue G

o

I'm back....had the most fun camping with some of my family. One niece has 4 kids and the other has 3 so not a dull moment. LOL

Welcome Rena....if Sue G. says OK you're in. Rena you said in your post you did not recongzie your husband but he took care of you. Just curious but did something happen that caused this? Lovely family with 5 children, after it was all said and done I wish I had more children than just the two that I have. I think we are stuck on two for that is how many grandchildren I have.

Margo-I have been to Ohio I remember we went to a theme park and DH rode a roller coaster called the BEAST. I don't like rides as much as he does. We actually went to Ohio to see the Amish. I really like their way of life.

Looking forward to hearing about all the different states this month.

Shirley

o

Thank you Sue! :)

Thank you Shirley! Had MS since I was an older kid. Became exacerbated 3 days after the birth of my 2nd child. That was the beginning of seizures and a life of woes for 5 long years.
In & out of hospitals. On this med. then that one. All to no avail. Lesions the size of Texas were covering my brain. The damage was so much faster than my body could heal itself. You know what your body does then? It starts making short-cuts in what it fixes (in regards to cellular damage).
Short cuts are not fun! lol It is anything but funny. But May 7 of this year has made 8 years that I'm seizure free!
Woohoo! And no med.! That stuff, don't even get me started.

I do have a lot of long term memory loss and some short. But I have a cork board for important memo's and notebooks to put things in that are important. I have a GPS for when I go to town, sometimes I get turned around. But mostly only if I try to take a short cut. I've just started one (notebook) for my new found gardening clubs here on GW.
I am putting all my new friends in it with notes as to where y'all live what you like and don't like. I have notebooks that I keep all my plants that I get in it. Also notes to when it 1st blooms and that sort of thing. When I was real sick I had lost my ability to see colors. Well mostly everything was dark. I was always looking at the sky to see if there was clouds because everything was so dark. Exactly like when a big storm comes in you know how all the colors are dark? That is how it looked to me on even a sunny day. I didn't even squint when looking at the sky at noon on a bright sunny day because everything was so dark. The grass was a dark forest green. So now that I am well and can see colors I am totally obsessed with gardening. The color of flowers is so beautiful. And I could cry when I look and see the green grass it is so bright now.

My life has has an all new meaning. I really didn't think I was going to survive all that. But now I am on top of the world. And feel like a big kid in a toy store! Life is the toy store! lol Just little things like taking a nature walk or looking at all of the amazing bugs! Being able to play ball with my kids. Drive them to the zoo. I have always loved bugs, but I must say that I don't love all bugs! Especially the ones that like to eat my plants. To be able to sing in church and remember the songs. Remember my life long friends that have always been there for me. Talk to my husband and understand what he is saying. And 1000's and 1000's of other things. Every day is truly a gift from God!

Shirley - Wow I can barely ride the family log ride. lol
Oh I tried the others and my brain can't convince my body that I'm not gonna die! lol No can do rides anymore, not since I was a young teenager.

And camping! Oh boy I want to go so bad! Haven't been since I was a real little girl. My DH is allergic to every insect you can imagine and he's allergic to bug repellant most soaps and shampoos. So he's not left with many options to keep the bugs away. Soooo no camping. I did camp a couple of years ago in the front yard with the kids. I didn't sleep a wink. Too many noises from the woods lol. And we have boars (the ones with tusks) the size of donkeys in there, no kidding.

Thank you for letting me in! I was beginning to feel I was on trial with no lawyer! lol Thank you Sue again!

Rena'

o

Hello my fellow GW gardeners! Hope you had a great weekend. Anybody find some good Labor Day plant sales? LOL, I meant to make the trip across the Bay to this wonderful nursery called Annie's Annuals but just didn't have the time today.

Welcome to the group, Rena! So glad to meet you. And thank you for sharing your story, that is so heartbreaking to hear of your illness, and so inspiring to hear of your recovery! So remarkable and amazing. And it really makes me put things in perspective too, and reminds me to be thankful for things I have in my life that I take for granted. I know I take a lot of things for granted.

Oh, and don't feel intimidated by the OBF "initiation" rules. I joined just a few months ago and it was really easy -- basically, all a newcomer needs to do is participate in an individual swap with a current member of OBF. It can be as small or large of a swap that you want, and once it's completed, you are in! Since you already have traded with Sue, you are able to jump in right away, no need to wait.

Everybody is really nice here, you'll fit right in. :)

~ Melody

o

Welcome, Rena' - so happy to have you join Our Bloomin Friends. So, you want to be in this swap; right? Just let me know for sure. Sorry you had to wait, but I needed to get the word from Carol or Shirley.

We had thunderstorms this afternoon so no computer or sewing for me for that stretch. I bought fabric to make an I Spy quilt for the triplets, so I had hoped to work on it. Maybe tomorrow. They are a year and a half old now. The time sure goes by fast!

Jeanne

o

hello
I would like to join in this one.
sounds like fun
michelle/ missouri

o

Rena-God is good....was really touched by your story. Your husband is amazing...tell him I said so. I'm so happy you are into gardening and found us. LOL I have a cousin who has seizures and they took her license the other day. She was so sad and it broke my heart. She never had seizures until she fell on some black ice and hit the back of her head. I am a gardenholic and love all plants. First it was irises then daylilies, hostas, peonies and on and on. 28 flower beds later and I wonder how many years are left that I can keep the weeds beat down.

Jeanne-I can't believe the boys are 1 1/2 already. We need pictures please.

Shirley

o

Good evening all. Yes Shirley, God is great.

After spending most of my day with a headache, (borderline migraine), I finally feel up to doing a little computer. Wasted all my day on the couch, darnit.

Welcome Rena, so glad you found gardening in your life. I truly believe there is nothing like going out in the yard and just seeing the things that I have nurtured by my own hands whether it be in beauty or edibles. Such a reward for work. I don't really find gardening to be work as it is a stress relief and a great getaway for me. I have even turned my hubby into a gardener although he does the hard stuff such as digging and making the gardens for me. He will even weed as long as it is something he can identify as a weed. Thistle is a bid thing in our yard and he gets those for me. I am a non glove gardener so his help is a big relief.

Margo

o

Shirley, you knew you could talk me into posting a picture! LOL Actually this was from back in June so they are quite a bit bigger now - learning how to talk and they not only can walk, they can run!

I'm sorry not to be on here more while being the hostess. I had forgotten what month I signed up for so I was glad to see the reminder. I have lots of dental and doctor visits going on this month and getting ready for company and travel next month. I'll keep popping in though.

Michelle, great to have you join in! I hope everything is going okay with you.

Jeanne

o

Jeanne, the boys are beautiful. In a few years they will object to that adjective but it is correct. What fun!

o

Jeanne-Oh my goodness...how cute they are. I could take all three and hug and kiss them all over. I love that age and will ask kids "Have you been ruffed up today?" I love to see their expression, their eyes get real big like what did I do. What fun having three, I bet they will be best of friends.

Shirley

o

Those boys are gonna steal some hearts one day. welcome rena do you agree to our simple rules ?happy you joined our group us old vamps love new blood. especially the gardner type. may you always enjoy good health. big hugs carolPhotobucket

o

A Fun Fact for Each State

ALABAMA .... Was the first place to have 9-1-1, started in 1968.

ALASKA ... One out of every 64 people has a pilot's license.

ARIZONA .... Is the only state in the continental U.S. that

doesn't follow Daylight Savings Time.

ARKANSAS .... Has the only active diamond mine in the U.S.

CALIFORNIA ... Its economy is so large that if it were a country,

it would rank seventh in the entire world.

COLORADO .... In 1976 it became the only state to

turn down the Olympics.

CONNECTICUT ... The Frisbee was invented

here at Yale University.

DELAWARE .... Has more scientists and engineers

than any other state.

FLORIDA .... At 759 square miles, Jacksonville is

the U.S.'s largest city.

GEORGIA .... It was here, in 1886, that pharmacist

John Pemberton made the first vat of Coca-Cola.

HAWAII .. Hawaiians live, on average, five years longer

than residents in any other state.

IDAHO ... TV was invented in Rigby, Idaho, in 1922.

ILLINOIS .... The Chicago River is dyed green every St.Patrick's Day

INDIANA ..... Home to Santa Claus, Indiana,

which get a half million letters to Santa every year.

IOWA ... Winnebagos get their name from Winnebago County.

Also, it is the only state that begins with two vowels.

KANSAS ... Liberal, Kansas, has an exact replica of

the house in The Wizard of Oz.

KENTUCKY .... Has more than $6 billion in gold

underneath Fort Knox.

LOUISIANA .... Has parishes instead of counties

because they were originally Spanish church units..

MAINE ... It's so big, it covers as many square miles

as the other five New England states combined.

MARYLAND .... The Ouija board was created in Baltimore in 1892.

MASSACHUSETTS .... The Fig Newton is named after

Newton, Massachusetts.

MICHIGAN .... Fremont, home to Gerber, is the

baby food capital of the world.

MINNESOTA .... Bloomington's Mall of America is so big, if you

spent 10 minutes in each store, you'd be there nearly four days.

MISSISSIPPI ... President Teddy Roosevelt refused to

shoot a bear here ... that's how the teddy bear got its name.

MISSOURI .... Is the birthplace of the ice cream cone.

MONTANA .... A sapphire from Montana is in the

Crown Jewels of England.

NEBRASKA .... More triplets are born here than in any other state.

NEW HAMPSHIRE .... Birthplace of Tupperware,

invented in 1938 by Earl Tupper.

NEW JERSEY ... Has the most shopping malls in one

area in the world.

NEW MEXICO ... Smokey the Bear was rescued from

a 1950 forest fire here.

NEW YORK .... Is home to the nation's oldest cattle ranch,

started in 1747 in Montauk.

NORTH CAROLINA .... Home of the first Krispy Kreme doughnut.

NORTH DAKOTA .... Rigby, North Dakota, is the exact

geographic center of North America.

OHIO ... The hot dog was invented here in 1900. OH !!!!

OKLAHOMA .... The grounds of the state capital are

covered by operating oil wells.

OREGON ... Has the most ghost towns in the country.

PENNSYLVANIA .... The smiley, :) was first used in 1980

by computer scientists at Carnegie Mellon University.

RHODE ISLAND .... The nation's oldest bar, the

White Horse Tavern, opened here in 1673

SOUTH CAROLINA .... Sumter County is home to the

world's largest gingko farm.

SOUTH DAKOTA .... Is the only state that's never

had an earthquake.

TENNESSEE .... Nashville's Grand Ole Opry is the longest

running live radio show in the world.

TEXAS ... Dr. Pepper was invented in Waco back in 1885.

UTAH .... The first Kentucky Fried Chicken restaurant

opened here in 1952.

VERMONT .... Montpelier is the only state capital

without a McDonald's.

VIRGINIA ..... Home of the world's largest office building ....

the Pentagon.

WASHINGTON ... Seattle has twice as many college graduates

as any other state.

WASHINGTON D.C. ... Was the first planned capital in the world.

WEST VIRGINIA .... Had the world's first brick paved street,

Summers Street, laid in Charleston in 1870.

WISCONSIN .... The ice cream sundae was invented

here in 1881 to get around Blue Laws prohibiting

ice cream from being sold on Sundays.

WYOMING .... Was the first state to allow women to vote.

Sue/Beth-I didn't realize AZ did not do daylight savings time, very interesting.

Shirley

o

Shirley,

Nice list - good job!

We in Arizona do NOT need anymore daylight, thank you LOL! Many people wait until after sunset to be able to do anything outdoors ...... the Navajo Nation in the northeastern part of the state however, does go on daylight savings time.

So, for example, we've always dealt with TV shows changing times twice a year...no so much anymore though. Also, twice a year my work shift changes by an hour. I like the daylight savings time shift because I start and get off an hour earlier.

Sue G

o

Melody - Thank you for the warm welcome!

Jeanne - Yes! Absolutely I already have some things bought!
Please count me in! No problem I have nothing if not patience! (sort of) lol

What beautiful boys!

Shirley - Absolutely! God is amazing! And I told my husband what you said. Him and my Mom didn't used to see eye to eye but she thinks the world of him now! She used to try and get him to bring me to her house to take care of me for awhile so he could have a break and he wouldn't hear of it.
He is my shining knight!

I am saddened to hear that about your cousin. That is how fast life can change forever. In the blink of an eye. I will pray for her. What is her name?

28 flower beds! Awesome you and Rita ease any and all guilt about me being a plantaholic! lol I started off this year with um about 24 daylilies and now I'm up to 131. Although 11 were given to me by Sue. I keep buying even though to say I'm behind on planting would be such an understatement!
But I see Sue bidding away on the LA too. lol Sue you are being a very bad influence! ;) lol

I really like how you put the source of your daylily next to the name. I think I'm going to go do that too.

Margo - Yes, gardening is therapeutic. On the rare occasion I get grumpy ;) my kids insist I go gardening in a not so subtle way! lol Although when confronted they quickly retreat to denial! lol And I insist they can tell me if I am being mopey they swear I'm not they "just want me to be super happy!" lol kids they are amazingly intuitive! Even when I work hard to hide things from them they can still see it. Especially my older 3. But I admit when I come in from gardening I am so hyper I'm skipping and dancing and whistling around the house! The kids just make me promise not to do that when their friends are over. lol

How wonderful your honey helps you in the garden! Mine just tells me here's money go buy some more plants just remember you have to plant them all! lol But if I have a big tree or bush to plant he will dig the hole. But bugs really do bite him 10 times more than me. Something to do with his body chemistry that they love. If mosquitos bite me they only itch initially. He'll scratch his for 2 weeks and they swell up. Tough for him here in mosquitoville for sure.

Carol - I promise to be a good faithful friend, honest, kind, thoughtful and fair in all my interactions with everyone. I'm also a great secret keeper just not with my own! lol

Rena'

o

Jeanne...count me in this month!! It seems only like a few months ago that those little baby boys were born.

Rena'...you are now an OBF'er....WELCOME!!!

Shirley....so enjoyed reading your "State Facts"!

Happy Thursday!!

Annie

o

Shirley,
That was a great list of information about the states, most of which I admit I didn't know. I am listing special South Carolina state symbols after the list of members who have signed up. As you can see, our Legislature loves to vote for all kinds of state symbols!

So, signed up for the swap are:

Jeanne - SC
Melissa - AR
Melody - CA
Margaret - IA
Vina - NY
Beth - AZ
Sue G - AZ
Shirley - NC
Margo - OH
Annie - CA
Michelle - MO
Rena' - LA

If anyone else wants to join in, sign up by the end of the day on Sept. 8th (tomorrow)!

Here are the "specials" for SC. I think we should play a bingo game with them. I'll post that right after this posting.

State Amphibian: Spotted Salamander (Ambystoma maculatum) - The spotted salamander is the only amphibian indigenous to the whole State and was nominated by a third grade class from Woodlands Heights Elementary School, Spartanburg, as the state amphibian. (1999)
State Animal: White-tailed Deer - Every county in South Carolina features an open season on deer. (1972)
State Beverages
State beverage: Milk - Milk was selected as the official beverage of the state because of its dietary value and since dairy farms are found in 39 of 46 counties. The dairy industry in South Carolina generates $200 million in economic activity.(1984)
State Hospitality Beverage: Tea - The first place that tea was grown in the United States was in South Carolina in 1799. Which is still grown on Wadmalaw Island. The only one in the US(1995)
State Birds
State Bird: Carolina Wren - The mockingbird was designated the state bird from 1939 until 1948, when the wren received the designation. The wren was chosen as the state bird because its song can be heard all year long. (1948)
State Wild Game Bird: Wild Turkey (Meleagris gallopavo) � Hunted during a spring season, wild turkeys are found throughout the state. (1976)
State Duck: Wood Duck (Aix sponsa) - The wood duck is also known as the summer duck and the Carolina duck. (2009)
State Butterfly: Eastern tiger swallowtail � English artist Mark Catesby painted the first picture of this butterfly in South Carolina in 1725. (1994)
State Color: Indigo Blue - The color indigo blue comes from the uniforms of the 2nd South Carolina Regiment, led by Colonel William Moultrie. The state flag is Indigo blue in remembrance of this regiment and the Palmetto tree on the flag recalls their successful defense of Charleston using a fort built of palmetto logs. (2008)
State Craft: Sweetgrass Basket weaving - Sweetgrass (Muhlenbergia filipes), being native to the coastal dunes of the Carolinas, provided the perfect material for African slaves to utilize their traditional skills and produce a tightly-woven coiled basket. This handcraft has been passed down through generations and a high concentration of basket weavers is still found near Mount Pleasant. To this day, the form of the sweetgrass baskets woven in South Carolina closely resemble their African counterparts.
State Dances
State Dance: Shag - The shag was selected as the state dance because it originated in South Carolina. (1984)
State American Folk Dance: Square Dance - Square dancing is recognized for its contributions to the cultural life of South Carolina. (1994)
State Waltz: Richardson Waltz - The state waltz originated from the descendants of Richard Richardson, an American revolutionary war general. (2000)
State Dog: Boykin Spaniel - The Boykin spaniel was first bred in South Carolina near Spartanburg.
State Grass: Indian Grass, Sorghastrum nutans - The General Assembly wrote that Indian grass is "a native, nonnoxious plant, with a historical, continuing, widespread, and beneficial existence in South Carolina." (2001)
State Fish: striped bass or rockfish - Thirty to forty pound striped bass can be caught in the Santee Cooper lakes, making bass fishing a popular pastime. (1972)
State Flowers
State Flower: Yellow Jessamine - The return of yellow jessamine each spring is thought to suggest the lesson of "constancy in, loyalty to and patriotism in the service of the State."
State Wildflower: Goldenrod (solidago altissima)- With a long bloom time and long lasting flowers, Goldenrod was selected as the "official state wildflower."
State Fruit: Peach - South Carolina is the second largest producer of peaches, behind California and ahead of Georgia (the Peach State).(1984)
State Gemstone: Amethyst - South Carolina is one of a few U.S. States where good quality amethyst gems can be found. (1969)
State Heritage Horse: Carolina Marsh Tacky - The Marsh Tacky, a rare colonial Spanish horse breed unique to South Carolina, has played a significant role in South Carolina's history. After abandonment by the Spanish on the South Carolina Sea Islands and along the South Carolina coast some five hundred years ago, the Marsh Tacky survived on its own and developed into a unique strain of colonial Spanish horse." (2010)
State Heritage Work Animal: Mule (2010)
State Insect: Carolina Mantid (Stagmomantis Carolina)- One reason that the Carolina mantid was selected as the state insect is for its use in agriculture in managing harmful insects. (1988)
State Marine Mammal: Bottlenose Dolphin (Tursiops truncatus) - Both the state marine mammal and state migratory marine mammal were designated by Act Number 58 of 2009 (2009)
State Migratory Marine Mammal: Northern Right Whale (Eubalaena glacialis) - The right whale can be found off the South Carolina coast during the breeding and calving season. (2009)
State Mottos:
Dum spiro spero (While I breathe, I hope), and
Animis opibusque parati (Ready in soul and resource) Both state mottos are shown on the state seal which depicts the defeat of the British on Sullivan's Island in 1776. (1777)
State Music: Spiritual - Spirituals are songs that originated in the oral traditions of African-American slaves. "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot" is one of the best known examples. Spirituals were first written down on St. Helena Island during the Civil War. (1999)
State Popular Music: Beach Music - Beach music is closely associated with the state dance, the Shag, and is also considered to have originated in Myrtle Beach. (2001)
State Reptile: Loggerhead Sea Turtle - The Loggerhead is a threatened species that nests on the shores of South Carolina. (1988)
State Shell: Lettered Olive, Oliva sayana - The Lettered olive was found and named by a South Carolinian, Dr. Edmund Ravenel of Charleston. (1984)
State Snack: Boiled peanuts - Boiled peanuts are a popular snack food in the Southern U.S.
State Songs:
"Carolina" (1911), and
"South Carolina On My Mind" (1984) Both state songs were written by South Carolinians.
State Spider: "Carolina Wolf Spider", Hogna carolinensis - The state spider was the idea of a third grade student as a way for other students to learn more about this native spider. (2000)
State Stone: Blue Granite - Many buildings throughout the state have been constructed with blue granite mined here. (1969)
State Tartan: The Carolina Tartan - The Carolina tartan recognizes the heritage of Scottish settlers in South Carolina, who began immigrating here in the late seventeenth century. (2002)
State Tapestry: The tapestry, "From the Mountains to the Sea" The state tapestry, on display at the South Carolina Cotton Museum, depicts scenes of the state on a cotton fabric fifty-four inches wide by seventy-two inches long. (2000)
State Tree: Sabal palmetto. The palmetto has been a symbol for South Carolina since the American Revolutionary War when it was used to build a fort on Sullivan's Island that withstood British attack. The palmetto tree appears on the first symbol of the state, the seal created in 1777. It was officially named the state tree in 1939. (1939)

Jeanne

o
RE: BINGO - Our Bloomin Friends - Sept. Swap: Show Off Your State

Okay, here's how we'll play BINGO. There are 37 words listed below. Make a list using 20 of them. Send a copy to me by e-mail before Sunday and keep a copy for yourself. If you can't figure out how to send them to me by e-mail, just post them here. (Please don't list my e-mail here for all to read though. Okay?) Beginning on Sunday, the 9th I will begin to draw words from the list. There will be one word on Sun., 2 on Mon., 3 on Tues., etc. The first person to have 12 words that match the words drawn and post it here here on the GardenWeb thread wins and I will send a prize. Anyone who is a current member of OBF is eligible to play. You don't have to be signed up for the September swap.

So, here is your list of words. Pick 20 of them for your personal bingo list. Remember to keep a copy of them and send one copy to me and keep track of which ones have been drawn so you can yell BINGO when you have it.

Spotted Salamander
White-tailed Deer
Milk
Tea
Carolina Wren
Wild Turkey
Wood Duck
Eastern Tiger Swallowtail
Indigo Blue
Sweetgrass Baskets
The Shag
Square Dance
Richardson Waltz
Boykin Spaniel
Indian Grass
Striped bass
Yellow Jessamine
Goldenrod
Peach
Amethyst
Carolina Marsh Tacky Horse
Mule
Carolina Mantid
Bottlenose Dolphin
Northern Right Whale
Spiritual Songs
Beach Music
Loggerhead Sea Turtle
Lettered Olive
Boiled peanuts
"Carolina"
"South Carolina On My Mind"
Carolina Wolf Spider
Blue Granite
The Carolina Tartan
From the Mountains to the Sea tapestry
Sabal Palmetto Tree

Jeanne

o

Jeanne-Wow SC really has some history behind it. Thanks for playing BINGO and I sent my list to you.

Rena-DH and I are right the opposite from you and your DH, the bugs eat me alive and never bite him. I always sit on the steps outside to put on my gardening shoes and socks, well the mosquitoes won't even let me get them tied up until here they come. I quickly spray myself down before they bite. Yes alot of my daylilies came from trades and swaps so I like to remember who I got them from so I put that info beside the daylily name. My memory is not what it used to be.

Glad everyone enjoyed the 'State Fun Facts' I received it several years ago in an e-mail and kept it.

Sue-I wish I could go to work and get off an hour earlier. I could get so much more done in the afternoon.

Margo-Hope that migraine is better.

I am so excited.....We played our first ladies volleyball game this eve. and beat a really good team. I have some really good players and we all played well together. The past two years were awful and some nights the players would not even show up. Looking forward to this season.

Shirley

o

I received your BINGO words, Shirley.
Come on OBF members, we need some more BINGO players!

I just got back from walking the dog. It's hot and humid. I'm so ready for fall.

Jeanne

o

Jeanne,

I just emailed you my 20 SC STATE BINGO words....

I love South Carolina and boiled peanuts....yummy!

Late last night, I quizzed my husband on the "state facts" posted by Shirley and the "SC specials" posted by Jeanne.
My husband thinks he knows everything.....well he bombed big time!! A big Fat "F"......LOL! I really enjoy reading all this info and learned quite a bit. Thanks ladies!

Happy Friday!

Annie

o

Sending my words after this post.

Had another kitten show up at our doorstep this morning. This makes number 12 since we moved out here 6 years ago. What is wrong with people. We have a low cost spay/neuter place in Toledo so there is no excuse. I will be getting her spayed and checked out and then find a home for her. With one indoor cat and six others to gather each night and safely tuck them in the garage, I have enough cats to worry about.

This little thing is so cute and friendly. No fleas and no dirt so I know she was dumped. I only hope there are not more from her litter in the fields next to us.

Margo

o

Margo-How kind of you to place the kittens. I agree there is no excuse for unwanted litters. People are just to lazy to fool with getting their pets fixed.

Annie-Too funny about your DH. Don't you just love computers, anything you want to know is at your fingertips.

Jeanne it is hot and humid here as well. In the high 80's here today whew I like 50's.

Shirley

o

Wow I think I'm too late but how do I join this group...I should have checked this thread a lot earlier!!!...this swap sounds fun, Dianne

o

Jeanne - Sent my words, thank you for the fun game. I love bingo.

Margo - Here they dump animals at the dump. My son Christian) rescues them and puts ads in the local papers trying to find them homes. We have a leash law here in LaSalle parish (for dogs).
And one of my neighbors dog mixed bulldog and something else (it's huge) and it's just a pup (9 mths.) Escapes his pen kills one of my sons kittens (a rescue that was waiting for a home) named Marshmallow and just killed all 6 of my other neighbors mini. baby goats 3 days ago. Now that neighbor trots around with a shotgun telling everybody that any dog that steps foot on her property she's "gonna blow their head off." The drama around here (and sadness) is terrible. My other neighbor Tyler a young boy about 19 or so has a snow white Siberian husky (Luna), was crying because she came to his door (with the gun) screaming and cursing wanting to kill his dog too because she believes she was involved. Luna plays here with my dog a tiny mini Schnauzer mix and wouldn't hurt a flea. My dog Tinkerbell is hyper and does get on Luna's nerves sometimes by playing too rough. And Luna could easily hurt Tinkerbell as she is the size of a Chihuahua. But she has never even growled at Tinkerbell. Tyler Luna's owner was telling me she comes to his door every few days screaming about something different every time. My husband is a big strapping man and doesn't put up with her craziness so poor Tyler just because he doesn't have an assertive personality gets stepped on. It makes the Momma bear in me angry angry. Now she does have a right to be angry at Gus (the animal killer) for killing her goats but geesh poor Tyler gets the brunt of her anger.
In my opinion a dog that digs under 2 fences to get to the pygmy goats and kills the kitten is dangerous even for people. We live in the country and everyone around has 2-5 acres. We have 2 acres not fenced I don't have alot of knowledge concerning killer dogs but in my opinion if it has the instinct to kill like that do you think it is also possibly dangerous to children? I am worried about my kids now. Gus is my son's (Thunder) friends dog and never has shown aggression toward people, just other animals. What is y'alls opinion & advice concerning this situation?

Vina - I sent your package off today. But since this isn't the OBF swap can I pleeeeze say what's in it? lol The DC#
is 0310 1230 0001 1960 7800 The anticipation is killin' me!
And besides doesn't everyone else want to know? Sure you do!
lol From a friend to a great friend!

Sue - Your package will be put together over the weekend and mailed on Monday. From a friend to another great friend!
And Sue you vouched for me putting your neck on the line and I really appreciate your trust and kindness! Thank you again! :)

I am so glad to of discovered Round Robin forum! All of you are so kind. :)

Rena'

o

Rena-Yes from a friend to a friend tell us. LOL We may find out before Vina receives it. Hate to hear of all that drama with the dogs. I would keep a watchful eye on my kids for sure. Here if you saw the dog kill the goats you would have to pay for them but it is another story if you don't actually see it. Years ago our neighbor had to pay DH for some pheasants he had ordered. We caught the dog in the act.

Dianne-Have you traded with anyone in this group? It can be a seed trade or a plant trade. If not you can set up a trade with any member and then be eligible for membership.
The group was set up this way years ago and this is a rule that has stuck. Many traders would join groups get their end of the swap and never send anything in return so members felt it necessary to do this.

Shirley

o

Ahh yes someone asked! Now what kind of friend would I be if I didn't heed your request Shirley? But only because you are twisting my arm and buggin' me silly will I tell! lol

All Iris : She said she likes Historics.

Rose Unique - Historic - Farr 1910
Bride's Halo - Historic - Mohr 1973
Bewilderbeast - Kasperek 1995 RB
Copatonic Blyth 1995
Iris brevicaulis (species)
Mother Earth - RB Hager 1989
Superglow - Historic & RB Schreiner 1967
Sue Zee - SDB Innerst 1996
Western Sage - IB Palmer 1992
Peach Jam - FR - RB Ensminger 1989

Vina adopted some that were despairing in my garden.
Rose Unique & Bride's Halo
Mother Earth does well here. That one I divided. The other ones I had ordered and just came in. Blue J's pic of Superglow is amazing. It is irridescent, someone else had a pic that wasn't so great. I'm really hoping this one likes my garden. Louisiana can be a tough place for Iris, some love it and others sulk & pout. Out with the pouters I say! lol

Vina, I swear Shirley made me tell! lol

Woohoo I'm gonna get up early tomorrow and plant some Iris!
Talking about them gives me the motivation to get out there and brave the sweltering temps.

Rena'

o

Rena, I feel that neighbor and the gun might be a bit more dangerous than the dogs. How frightening for that young man and no one should be allowed to just carry a gun up to someones house like that. I am not sure what you can do about it. I feel it would make things worse if you were to report it to the authorities.

It is neat that your son rescues kittens like that. Poor Marshmallow, that was sad.

I just couldn't turn a kitten that came to our house away. I can get this one spayed for $25 and a rabies shot for $6. Well worth the money. We have a big beautiful tabby who comes most nights for a bite to eat. He's somewhat friendly but I don't really trust him as he doesn't like to be picked up or messed with much. He doesn't get along with our other cats so they fear him. We trapped him back in the fall and got him neutered. He forgave us and keeps showing up most evening as dark, eats, hangs around the front door rubbing affectionately on the window, then leaves a couple hours later. This has gone on for over a year and I have never seen him during the day anywhere. Rather mysterious little guy.

We have six outdoor cats and every evening, I gather them all, (with exception of two who often prefer to stay out) and they stay in the garage at night to keep them safe. Our cars don't even go in the garage. How sad is that? When the last one was found in January, I told my hubby I just can't keep track of another one so she was made an indoor cat. This new little one just has to find a home.

We live in the country as well and we are lucky in that we don't have wandering dogs. Most people keep their dogs in fences or electric fences so that is a problem we don't have to deal with. Our dog doesn't wander but stays on our property. She is a 25 pound needy mutt and I don't think she would go too far from us.

Hope everyone has a great weekend. It is raining right now but supposed to end by morning. This is a good thing because this is the weekend of our annual Black Swamp Arts festival which draws artist and visitors from all over the country.

Margo

o

Hi Shirley :)

I have traded with members of this group...in August MNF (make new friends) group I sent to Vina and Annie sent to me :) ...in FOTESS Jeanne sponsored me there and I made successful trade in that group...in FOTESS I sent to gmom2-6boys...I don't know if she's a part of this group or not...if there are any rules or guidelines I need to know please let me know...if I'm too new I understand...thanks, Dianne

o

Arizona Facts:

The Arizona Trout is found only in Arizona (duh!)

The Saguaro Cactus Blossom is the official state flower.
The Saguaro Cactus is the largest American cactus and can
pretty much only be found in Arizona. So if you see a movie with Saguaro Cactus in it -- pretty sure it was filmed here.

The state population is around 6 million with 4 million living in the metro Phoenix area

You can snow ski and water ski in Arizona on the same day in the winter time.

The bola tie is the official state neckwear.

The Palo Verde is the official state tree. It's name means green sick and it blooms a brilliant yellow-gold in April-May (yeah and it's messy as heck then LOL)

The cactus wren is the official state bird. It builds nests in the arms of the great Saguaro Cactus.

Turquoise is the official state gemstone.

Arizona has long been known for the five C's - Copper, Cattle, Citrus, Cotton, and Climate

The amount of copper on the dome of the State Capitol is equilvalent to 4,800,000 pennies.

Arizona is home to the largest stand of Ponderosa Pines in the world (in spite of our recent forest fires)

Sue G

o

Morning!!

Rena', HOW FUNNY! I just read your email. And now, checking the thread I AM MORE EXCITED THAN EVER! Woo HOO :D That is an amazing box. Thank you so much!!! Thanks for posting the LIST! Now, I really hope you put the paper bag in the box, lol.

Shirley, Dianne has swapped with me a couple of times. Super nice lady!

Today's the sign-up deadline. Can't wait to see who's partners!!

Have a great Saturday!
vina

o

Dianne-You are in and sooooooo welcome. We love newbies here. Jeanne should be able to pair you right up with someone.

Vina- Too funny...ah ha I got Rena to tell. A really nice box for sure. We do love our irises. Believe it or not I am still planting irises I ordered from the iris sale. Denise sent way more than I orderd and not only one but two of some.

Sue-Thanks for posting all the info on AZ, very interesting.

Shoot I missed a wedding today. I hope the family is not mad at me but DH and I got alot done today in the flower beds. A co-workers Son came by and he is so sweet and loves flowers as much as I. He always asks if he can see what I have blooming and I say sure and in around about way he lets me know what flowers he would love to buy if he had some money. Well I can't have that so I load him up with the ones he likes. It really makes me happy to see a 17 year old like plants so well. Maybe some day when I can't bend over and pull weeds anymore or plant my favorites I can go to his house and see whats blooming.

Shirley

o

Wow, I missed out on a lot of discussion here - just catching up.

Dianne, welcome to the group. With you and Rena' since you are new to the group, your partner is able to wait for you to send and then mail to you so if there is a little delay in you receiving your package, that's why. Anyway, a big welcome to the group! I guess I should also pass along to our new members that you are expected to send your packages with delivery confirmation for swaps with this group.

I recieved Bingo words from:
Shirley
Annie
Rena'
Margo.

If anyone else is going to play, get the words to me by early tomorrow morning because then I will start drawing for the game. You do not have to be signed up to swap this month in order to play - just need to be a member of OBF.

I'm adding Dianne to our swap list for this month so we have:
Jeanne - SC
Melissa - AR
Melody - CA
Margaret - IA
Vina - NY
Beth - AZ
Sue G - AZ
Shirley - NC
Margo - OH
Annie - CA
Michelle - MO
Rena' - LA
Dianne - AL

Great to have so many participating! If you are a member, you can still sign up until I log on tomorrow to match partners. Not much of today left, but I won't be on super early so you have a chance.

I hope it was a good day for everyone. We watched our local college team play football (on TV - we don't go in person because it's a huge crowd), but a wonderful game so I had a nice afternoon. The the thunderstorms rolled through so I am late getting on the computer today.

Jeanne

o

Thanks ya'll for letting me be a part of this group...I can tell already there's a bunch of fun friendly peeps here and look forward to getting to know ya'll...this month's theme is really fun also and very educational...it's late now but i'll catch up with ya'll tomorrow :)

Jeanne I sent you my bingo words...was almost too late but glad I made the deadline :)

o

Dianne is also joining us for Bingo. Glad you were able to send in your words.

Today's pick is: The Carolina Tartan.

Remember I'll pick two tomorrow, and then three, so it will move along quickly.

And here are the partners:

Melissa - Margo
Margaret - Michelle
Melody - Vina
Beth - Annie
Rena' - Shirley

...and then because of the odd number:
Jeanne sends to Dianne
Dianne sends to Sue G
Sue G sends to Jeanne

Bios haven't been updated in quite awhile so the easiest way to get your partner's address is probably to exchange e-mail messages with each other.

Have fun and it will be great hearing what is received!
Jeanne

o

Partners! Yay! :) I'm working on Miss Margo's box today and hope to have it out in a few days.

Sorry to miss the bingo game, Jeanne...I am so swamped right now that I can barely keep up with everything, so I didn't think it'd be fair to try that, too. I know you know how that goes!

o

Melissa, so happy to be sending to you. I will be getting your things together and off to you asap.

Hope all is well with that wonderful family of yours. I totally understand being so swamped right now. We have an empty nest after raising five wonderful children and we are still busy. LOL

Will keep you posted on your package. Margo

o

Bingo words for today:

Spotted Salamander
Spiritual Songs

o

Beth, I responded to your email. First time swapping with Beth from my wonderful neighbor state, Arizona and....I am swapping with her in the FOTESS Johnny Appleseed swap as well!!!!

And BINGO has begun!!

Happy day!

Annie

o

Hello, Lovely Ladies. Partners are up & can't wait to get gathering for Michelle. I sent you an email yesterday Michelle seeking your address. Please let me know if you didn't get it as I sent it through Garden Web & sometimes that doesn't work! It will be so interesting seeing what comes from each State. The weather here is beautiful & so much cooler which I am very thankful for. Have a great week, all. Blessings, Margaret

o

Hello
yes margaret I got the email and sent you one back.

well I thought I would post a little bit about where we live.
Taylor is not evan a town, it is an unincorporated township, but we do have a post office open a few hours a day.
we have a strand of woods to the west, soy bean fields to the north, corn(just harvested) on the south and 2 neighbors or the east side. we are 5 miles from the Mississippi river and 1/4 mile from a small river called the Fabious. we have lots of wildlife deer, racoons, cyotes, skunks, frogs, Bauld Egales, snakes, and I evan saw a river otter once. so far they dont bother my gardens. the weather is taking on a fall feel now cold at night cool in the morning and warm in the afternoon. the drout this summer desimated my gardens I just could not afford to water everything, but the rain in the last 2 weeks has helped alot.
we are 15 miles north of Hannibal, mo. , 150 miles north of St. louis mo

well I need to get the boys off to the bus for school.

huggs all
michelle

o

It's great to learn more about the places where each of you live. I'm having fun hostessing this swap!

Here are the Bingo words for today:
Indian Grass
Carolina Wolf Spider

Jeanne

o
RE: Our Bloomin Friends - Sept. Swap: Show Off Your State

Oh, my, I sent this without typing in the third word for today - it's:
Richardson Waltz

Tomorrow I will try to do better and list all four.

Jeanne

o

Bingo words for Wed. 9/12

Eastern Tiger Swallowtail
Wood Duck
Boykin Spaniel
Northern Right Whale

I hope some are having luck with the words selected!
Jeanne

o

Woohoo, I have 6 already!

DIANNE a big hearty welcome! I'm a new kid on the block too!
Everyone is so nice and friendly here you will love it! I have been enjoying every-
ones post and will write back again tomorrow.

So glad to be a part!!!

Rena'

o

Rena-You have me beat I now have 5.

Michelle-Taylor sounds like the very little town that is so wonderful to raise kids in.

Looks like we are all having almost the same weather cool in the mornings and late at night and a little warmer in the afternoons. I love Fall.

Shirley

o

Rena-You have me beat I now have 5.

Michelle-Taylor sounds like the very little town that is so wonderful to raise kids in.

Looks like we are all having almost the same weather cool in the mornings and late at night and a little warmer in the afternoons. I love Fall.

Shirley

o

Dianne our rules are
1. be a fair and honest trader
2. post when you receive your end of a swap
3. agree to join at least 6 swaps a year although this is not a written in blood rule
4. and most important have fun
a sense of humor will do you well in this group. agree to the above and welcome to our happy group
hugs carol

o

Dianne, number 4 is most important!!!! I must say that considering the many, many members, there is very little in the line of issues. Most times it is miscommunications. I know you will enjoy the fun.

Rena, you sure are lucky in Bingo. I have 2 so far.

I am going to be working on my package this afternoon. Had some weird issue with my eye at work yesterday and although it went away, I am headed to the eye doctor today because I want to know what it was so I can be prepared next time if it were to happen again. I had an issue where it seemed there was a distortion almost watery like in the corner of my eye and then a prism of colors in it. It moved down to the bottom corner and then a line of prism colors came in the other eye. Thankfully it went away after about a half an hour. Frightening when your eyes are involved in something like that.

Will post when I finally get my act together. Margo

o

Bingo words for 9/13:
Tea
Square Dance
Amethyst
Milk
Boiled Peanuts

I am working on the package for my partner, too. Hope to get it mailed by Sat.

Margo, I have had lots of episodes with my eyes in the past few years. I hope they can tell you what happened. I am still trying to get over my cataract surgery - nearly 3 months now. I went to see my regular eye doctor yesterday and she says it may take 6-8 months and might not get totally better. I get so worried now with any eye issue.
You are right, it is frightening.

I'll be back tomorrow with more words.
Jeanne

o

Jeanne, eyes checked out very healthy. I mentioned in a past post of a migraine I had. Well some people get what the doctor said are auras with migraines and he feels it is related to the migraine. I have only had about 4 of those bad headaches in my lifetime. I do get regular headaches. I did kill two birds with one stone as he also did an eye exam and I ordered new glasses. My optical covered everything but 30 dollars. If I had to put it to medical insurance, it would have cost me for the whole office visit as my medical doesn't cover office visits.

My eyes were dilated so they are still blurry. I am slowly working on getting my box done today and mailed tomorrow. Will post DC tomorrow after work.

Margo

p.s. I had 3 of the 5 new words.

o

Margo- That was scary, I'm glad that your eyes checked out O.K. if it happens again though I would go and see a regular Dr. not the eye Dr.. Migraines are horrible, I still get them somewhat regularly no auras with mine. However, I had auras when I had seizures 98% of the time.

Jeanne- That is terrible that you are still dealing with the
irritation in your eye from the surgery. What exactly is the problem? I know you said the Dr. said that in a small percentage of cataract surgeries that this happens. But what exactly happens? Is it slow healing?

P.S. I had 4 of the new words, 10 in all so far.

Rena'

o

Hi, everyone!
Glad people are getting some of the Bingo words.

Dianne, I mailed your package today so soon you will have a little touch of South Carolina visit you. I hope you like what I sent.
Delivery Confirmation 0311 3260 0000 9118 7790

Rena, apparently I have inflammation in my eye from the surgery and it is very slow to go away. The surgeon has talked a lot about my eyes being too dry since this happened, so I am not sure which led to which. I had to order new glasses today so I hope I can see well with them. I am very slow selecting glasses so I was lucky that the lady who helped me had lots of patience!
Jeanne

o

Rena-10 words...you go girl. I now have 6 words.

Eye problems is way scary. We take our sight for granted and when we have problems we realize how lucky we are to see.

Our local County Fair is in progress this week and so many neat items were entered. Someone made a tractor with coke cans and it is painted red/black. Even the wheels are coke cans. Each year I promise myself I am going to enter something really neat next year but I never do. I have the ideas but never find time to make them.

Shirley

o

I am going to post the words for 9/14 before I go to bed. I have to head out early tomorrow so otherwise I probably wouldn't get them posted until lunch time. I think as I pick more and more each day, soon there will be a Bingo.

Yellow Jessamine
White Tailed Deer
Blue Granite
Lettered Olive
Sabal Palmetto Tree

Jeanne

o

Margo's box is on it's way...DC# 9405 5036 9930 0138 7045 10

It's raining cats & dogs here, which is a TERRIFIC thing because of the extreme drought we've had. But not so good for digging plants to send. I tried to dry everything very well before I packed it, but if anything arrives yucky, just let me know, Margo! I'll gladly send new plants!

I wasn't able to send much, I've lost so many plants the past 2 years from drought. I counted 20 daylilies today...considering 3 years ago I had over 100, that's depressing!! *sigh* But it's OK...plants can be replaced, and I'm sooo thankful that we are FINALLY getting some much needed rain! We need about 15" to make up for everything we've missed this year, so hopefully today will make a tiny dent in that.

Anyway....Margo, I hope you enjoy your box! :) I tried to get creative, and wanted to send more....Hopefully, I sent enough!

o

Hey everyone!
Been so busy haven't had a chance to keep up with the thread. Maybe later today I'll be able to go back and read through.

I did email Melody that I need her addy. Still waiting to hear back from her.

I'll post when I mail :)
Talk to you later!
vina

o

8 words now, pick 7 that I have tomorrow Jeanne....LOL

Rena-I will mail your box Monday. Saturday is a good day for mailing but I hope to work in the yard all day tomorrow and when I do that I don't get dressed for going out.

I'm looking for some Purple and White Hyacinth Bean Vine seeds if anyone has some to trade.

Shirley

o

Here we go for today:

From the Mountains to the Sea Tapestry
Loggerhead Sea Turtle
Goldenrod
Sweetgrass Baskets
Striped Bass
Carolina Mantid
South Carolina on My Mind

That looks like lots of words. Hope it helped someone!
Jeanne

o

Shirley, I'm fairly certain I have Purple AND White Hyacynth bean seeds - I'll get them out tomorrow and send to you - no trade necessary. I've decided to go all out and add friends on Facebook so you may get a request from me. I think my daughter has something like 1100 friends and I have 2 LOL!

Today is for cleaning out the side yard trying to make room for another daylily bed. Here in Phoenix we are coming up on prime daylily planting (actually any kind of planting season).

I recently made purchases on Lily Auction and between the extra fans and the bonus plants I don't have room for everything.

I have a trade list posted on Plant trading but no takers so far - I'll make someone a good deal if they'll take a few or all..........

Well back outside before the temp hits 80 then Im done til tonight. Temps in the high 90's all week - I can see Fall coming - YAY!

Jeanne, I'll try to get your box out Monday, Tues or Wed at the latest. A few more things to put together.

Sue G

o

Well OBF'ers, I believe I have BINGO with 15 words.
Jeanne, you do not have to send me a prize, I just like to play BINGO...OK??????
Spotted Salamander
White-tailed Deer
Sweetgrass Baskets
Boykin Spaniel
Striped bass
Amethyst
Carolina Mantid
Northern Right Whale
Loggerhead Sea Turtle
Lettered Olive
Boiled peanuts
"South Carolina On My Mind"
Carolina Wolf Spider
Blue Granite
Annie

o

Annie, congratulations, you are a winner!!!
(It's just a little prize so I insist that I send it to you.)
I got out to weed one of my gardens today. Not early enoough though. It was already getting pretty hot. I don't do much of anything in my garden all summer (except watering) so spring and fall are pretty busy with either planting or pulling weeds.
I picked 3 peppers and a carrot today. I get so little "harvest" from what I plant, but it's fun anyway.

Jeanne

o

Wow, just crossed off the words I had only to find out we already have a winner. Congrats to you Annie.

Sue, you can add me to your FB. I am Margo Duley Smith. It is amazing how many friend our kids can add to their lists.

Nice day out today but not feeling like doing anything outside. Wanted to go somewhere for the day for fun but hubby keeps poo pooing everything I suggest so we just sit. Might as well have gone to work today.

Margo

o

Sue-Yes...thanks for the hyacinth bean vine seeds. I planted mine too late so I know they are not going to have seeds. I will take a look at your daylilies.

Congrats Annie...Way to go

Shirley

o

Shirley, I just received a FB friend request from a Shirley who lives in NC and I confirmed it so hope that was you. LOL

My box is on the way to the post office after I post the DC. Melissa, I hope you like it.

9405 5036 9930 0140 2068 11

Margo

o

Looks like you ladies are having fun:) I stopped in to tell you all hello from Susie K- I was at her house for a wonderful plant swap today. Have fun:) - Jen

o

Margo-Yes that's me thanks for confirming.

Jen-I saw where Susie was getting together her plant swap. I bet everyone went away with lots of nice plants.

I worked too long outside today. I'm hurting from head to toe and my back is so sore I can hardly move. Just took two aleves so hope they do the trick.

Shirley

o

Hi everyone! Sorry I've been MIA for the last week. I sent Vina my address and I think I still have hers from a previous trade.

I have a lot of posts in this thread to catch up with!

~ Melody

o

Hi everyone!

Annie - It is so much fun playing huh! Congratulations!!!

Shirley - I'm still not done putting your box together Shirley. I should be done by Monday though.

Jeanne - Just the irritation from an eyelash in the eye will make you go bonkers. I hope your eye speeds up the recovery!

Margo - I've been wanting to go do something fun too. Didn't happen this weekend for me either. There is a beautiful lake here called Kincaid Lake and I've taken the kids twice before. But I recently found out it is loaded with huge gators. Now I'm terrified to go back. All my friends say there has never been one attack there, the gators are around the bin a long ways away. Huh, I'm not convinced! I saw a true story movie on Netflix called "Black Water."
Scared my socks off, I've always been cautious but now I think I'm downright paranoid!

Hopefully your Sunday will be filled with fun!

Rena'

o

Good morning, thought I would share a picture of the kitten that wandered to my door a little more than a week ago. She is doing well and my friend will be taking her Tuesday. I am going to be sad since I have become attached to her. At least I know who she is going to and will see her on occasion. I wanted to show how her spots look like hearts.

Rena', I totally understand your fear. I am not a lover of water and putting critters in the mix, no way. LOL

I have to work 12-4 today but will be getting in the garden afterward. I didn't feel like doing it yesterday and now when I have the energy, I have to work. Well, at least I got the bathrooms cleaned this morning.

Happy Sunday. Margo

o

Margo-Beautiful kitten for sure those hearts are amazing.

I spent 3 hours this afternoon with my Mom in the Emergency Room. I've never figured out why it take so long in the ER to see a Doctor. She fell and we thought she may have broken her wrist but it was only sprained. I don't know how much longer she will get to stay by herself seems like she is really getting confused and she stays dizzy alot lately.

Nite ladies

Shirley

o

Jeanne I got your package yesterday and am thrilled with the Carolina Jessamine...I've got them planted in a pot til they get bigger and plan on keeping them inside through the winter unless you think they will do well outside for me???...I love tea and peaches but have never had peach tea so am anxious to try it...always need bookmarks too and it's guaanteed i didn't have one like you sent and it's not a common one i could pick up anywhere so i will think of you and this group every time i use it lol...you put together a wonderful package and i love all of it...thanks bunches and hugs, Dianne

Wish I had a camera to take a pic but will have to do with a description...Jeanne sent me some rooted Carolina Jessamine :))) , a special tea from her area (Peach flavored packed in her state), a bookmark from a museum there, a post card with her state butterfly the Eastern Tiger Swallowtail sitting on her state flower Yellow Jessamine, and a notecard with her state bird The Carolina Wren sitting on a branch with Yellow Jessamine vining or growing around it...

I never knew we had state butterflies...will have to look mine up lol...and Jeanne you have a beautiful state!!

Thanks bunches, Dianne

o

Margo what a beautiful cat...her hearts are beautiful markings :)

Sue I sent you an email ...I thought I had an email already with your mailing addy or had it written down but I've searched and can't find it...will get your package out next week for sure...still putting it together :)

Congratz on the bingo Annie :)

Shirley I hope your mom heals quickly and gets better soon!

and last but not least thanks to all of ya'll for the warm welcomes to the group...and I'm sure I will have no problems with the rules, especially # 4 lol...i haven't had time to be really chatty lately as i've been kinda runnin at different schedules everywhere ...i'm sure ya'll know how that can be ...it's starting to cool down some here and in the mornings and evenings it actually feels nice...except for the mosquitoes...my garden is coming up nicely so hopefully this fall/winter i'll have some fresh goods to eat ...it's our 1st try at a garden like this here so i'm excited about it...and had inside tomatoes growing...they were pretty little sprouts...but the cat scattered them all and now i have 2 out of 12 that will make it i think...poor kitty is outside for the night tonight...maybe he'll learn some manners lol...spray bottles would work if we were here all the time to catch him but he did this act of destruction while we were asleep at night so now he goes outside when we're not around to pay attention to him :( ...makes me sad in a way...

ya'll have a good night ...will catch up to ya'll later, dianne

o

Dianne,
Thanks for letting me know your package got there and I'm glad it made it on Sat. I was a little worried it might sit until Mon. and then how the plant might do. Carolina Jessamine will be fine outside in the winter. It's very hardy. You can either keep it in the pot or put it in the ground. I suspect it might like the ground better once it recovers from its trip. It should keep its green leaves all winter. At least around here, it is one of the first spring flowers to bloom.
The mosquitoes are getting worse here, too. I don't like them to begin with, but then you also read about the diseases they carry - gets you sort of paranoid. I have to use so much spray to keep them off me that I worry about the spray being dangerous, too.
I had issues getting on AOL the first half of the day so I am behind on my usual stuff. Have a good week, everyone!
Jeanne

o

I received my package from Bunny today and she really showed off her state. She was worried that she hadn't sent enough but she sent more than needed for sure. Good job Melissa.

She sent
Hosta - veriagated green and white which are her high school colors.
Mum - red - for the Razorbacks
Apple mint which represents the large orchard population and the state flower, the apple blossom.
Spider lilies which are red for the Razorbacks as well.

Along with the plants she sent:
two dish towels and you can never had too many of these.
Apple blossom scented wax melts which are great since I just got a warmer I can use these with.
A little plant pot hanger, (at least I think that is what it is and it works well as that) it is a little acorn and it has two little squirrels dangling on chains from the acorn. So cute.

Thank you so much Melissa. It was a great state box. Margo

o
RE: NEW: Our Bloomin Friends - Swap: Show Off Your State

Oh my, I just went to put the box in recycling that Bunny sent and I missed the card that explained the other items as well as a ziplock baggie of seeds. Sorry about that oversight.

The dishtowels have wine and grapes on them. They represent her town of Tontitown. Founded by Italians, they have many vineyards and their own winery. The squirrel pot hanger is for her hometown of Winslow. The high school mascot is a squirrel. The flower seeds are flowers that grow wild in the fields near her family's home.

Wow, Melissa covered everything so well and I fear I totally lacked in my box as far as explanation goes. I should have covered more about my community. Sorry Melissa.

We are having a thunderstorm right now which this year has been very rare. I love to see the lightening and hear the thunder at night. This will make the ground soft for weed control too. Yeah.

Margo

o

Oh how I agree about those pesty mosquitoes. I wish they would all die. I left work this afternoon and went to the gardens in town (the garden club I belong to takes care of the gardens) to plant some daylilies. I did not take any bug spray so the next thing I know a mosquito or the mosquitoes found me. I got 9 bites before I got those darn daylilies planted. I was determined to finish planting them because rain is in the forecast tomorrow. By the time I left and got in the car the bites were hurting so bad. The only thing I could find to put on the bites was hand sanitizer which did help a little. They usually don't bite me on the face but I had a bite there as well. I am honestly a walking mosquito attractor. DH could not believe the welts on me. I'm sure I helped those blood sucking female mosquitoes develop fertile eggs today.

Dianne-Thanks....Mom is doing some better. Nice box from Jeanne.

Rena-I sent you an e-mail needing your mailing address. I have your box ready to go out.

Shirley

o

it's been storming and raining here for the last 2 days kinda regularly...yippee, Mother Nature is watering my veggie garden so we don't have to :)

Jeanne, did you realize that one of the jessamine's is starting to get buds on it???...they are small enough i didn't think they'd flower for a lil while but it's a nice surprise :)

o

Beth,

Show Off Your (my) State is headed your way...went out today.
DC# 0312 0090 0001 5684 8902

Since I put both swaps (show off your state and johnny appleseed) in a medium flat rate box, be aware that this swap will all be wrapped in YELLOW.

Dianne and Margo, nice boxes!!

Shirley, the tough decisions we must make regarding our parent(s) safety, health etc....wishing your Mom well...and you too.

Happy evening!!

Annie

o

Shirley so sad to hear about your Mom! I'm glad that her wrist wasn't broken. Does your Mom garden also? I'm praying she recovers very soon!

Well Shirley I just realized I responded to your e-mail but still forgot to send my address although that was the reason for it. lol Going back to send it.

My Mom and Dad are traversing the country as we speak and I worry myself silly about them. Mom tells me she went hiking the other day (they are in Cali. right now) and heard a rattler just when she was about to step down on another rock. Geesh now I'm worrying more than ever. We never quit worrying over our parents I guess Jean. We do after all love them with all our hearts! When they hurt we hurt also.

Margo that kitty is soooo cute! Aww it has hearts!

Great boxes everyone!

Rena'

o

I am a goof. I was in such a hurry to post I got the box that I set everything aside in the kitchen. When I went to put it all away, I realized that the two dishtowels were actually a dish towel with matching dish cloths which is even better. :)

The kitten is going to her new home this afternoon. I really wish I could keep her but my friend needs a new companion after her cat died last year. I know this little one will be very happy there and I will see her on occasion. I have come to really enjoy her company the last two weeks but we certainly have our fair share of cats already.

Margo

o

Hello girls!

Went boutique shoppin' today, me & my girls. Boy did we have a blast! It was nice and relaxing! Oh the stuff I found and bought! I now have a huge bin dedicated to OBF & FOTESS.
Well I was shipping my box tomorrow, correction, your box Shirley. But I am going shopping again tomorrow believe me your box will reap the benefits of another shopping day. :-)
And not to worry it will be shipped by the deadline! I forgot how much fun boutique shopping is! Malls I hate, this was exilerating & relaxing.

This is a pic of Red River in Alexandria, LA which is in central LA. That is my oldest son Christian the kitty rescuer. He is 22 and lives next door. This body of water every year bull sharks are found in it. They swim far up the river to get here. They can live in fresh water for 2 weeks. Most rivers in LA you can go swimming in but this one has strong under tows starting a few feet from the bank. Even with a life vest most drown when they fall out of a boat here. The under tows are that strong.

Good nite all! I will write back tomorrow evening.

Rena'

o

Well more bad news with Mom..she called at 1:30 a.m. and told DH she had fallen again and could not get up. We rushed to her house and DH had to pick her up from the floor and put her back in bed. Called the nursing home today and they want $6,000.00 per month (are you kidding me). My sister and two brothers live closer to her than I do but she always calls my number bless her heart. Praying things get better so please keep us in your prayers as well.

Rena-Wow your Son is so handsome and since he is from LA please put him in my box. LOL
I love shopping and have not been on a shopping spree in awhile.

Margo-Glad the kitten found a new home.

Need to get busy and find something to cook for a funeral tomorrow.

Shirley

o

Oh Shirley, I am sorry to hear about more problems with your mom. We went through the same thing with my mom. She lived alone but started to fall and was on oxygen as well so wouldn't cook good meals because she didn't want to be too near the stove with oxygen. She couldn't get up on her own so sometimes called an ambulance so the drivers could get her up. She finally took a fall that broke some ribs and her ankle so she was put into a nursing home for rehab and we we were able to just get her to stay there as she definitely qualified. She was on social security and medicaid and had no money so they pay for it so they cover it. She isn't happy there but is in a much safer environment. None of us would be able to take care of her and her needs.

Will keep her in my prayers. Margo

o

Shirley sorry to hear about the bad news with your mom...I pray she gets better and that ya'll are able to handle things without any difficulty that have to be dealt with during this time...I know it can be a load on you...will just keep praying :)

Rena...that is a good lookin son you got there...my oldest daughter is 20 and single by choice...she said if I must intervene for her I could post her pic and they could be pen pals if he's not taken lol...it may be weird to set up a match making scheme here on garden web hahahaha

Sue your package went out in the mail today...the tracking # is 0311 3260 0001 1292 8326...i hope you enjoy it :)

o

Annie -
I'll be mailing your Bingo prize today. Thanks to everyone for playing Bingo.
I'll also get back on here and list what swaps have been mailed and received so far. We are moving right along.
Jeanne

o

My package arrived and .... Whooo Hoooo Annie sent me a Party in a Box.
Nice work gal! It was such fun to unpack the goodies and it will be even more fun to have my party.
Annie made a bright sunny card telling the wonders of California and all the fantastic things that grow there.
California grows lots of fruits, citrus,vegetables, herbs, flowers, etc etc.
Annie focused on Grapes as they grow practically in her back yard and because she especially likes them. Well, gee whiz, ME TOO!!!!
I got a pretty burgundy tea towel with A bottle and glass of wine appliqued on it.
Two small bottles full of the fruit of the vine.
Home made Blackberry Jam in a jar with grapes featured on the glass.
Two big heads of fresh garlic ( another product of CA)
And, a pretty little dish with grapes painted into a leaf shape. This was holding a bar of goat milk soap with a grape design.
All fun pretty and useful gifts.
Now here is the party plan:
I have a set of South western theme candle sticks from a swap MANY years ago, so I'll get burgundy candles.
I have been experimenting with new bread recipes and have a new favorite onion/garlic that I will make into hot rolls.
Jack will start a fire to grill a nice AZ steak and I'll put the garlic in to roast.
When the food is ready we will wrap the hot rolls in the new towel, open the bottles, light the candles and enjoy a real feast.
The roasted garlic spread on hot rolls mmmmmm and a nice juicy steak by candle light,a sip or so of the bottled grapes and then, a bit of vanilla ice cream topped with a dab of warm blackberry jam for desert. This just might be the best swap ever.
WE could even finish by washing our hands with goat milk soap.
Annie this just popped into my head as I unpacked the box and I was chuckling out loud thinking about it.
Can't thank you enough.
BB

o

PLEASE SOMEONE SEND ME SHIRLEYS ADDRESS!!

I thought that I had it! No.. and I have noone's phone #!!

I am in serious panic mode! It onlt takes 12 min. to the P.O. and its ready please someone be watching there e-mail and get this. Amen.

lol

Rena'

P.S. I have noones phone # either that could of been my lifeline... Woe is me.

o

Rena',

I just sent you Shirleys address via GW and via email.

Annie

o

Just e-mailed Shirley's address to you, Rena'
Jeanne

o

Well heck, I've missed the P.O. oh that wouldn't have been a problem, IF SOMEBODY HADN'T OF WAITED 'TIL THE LAST DAY TO SHIP!! Sigh... Rena' sighs, takes a deep breath, looks around for someone else to blame... But with her ADD self that would be too time consuming and boring. Instead she decides to console herself by going outside and planting the Maryotts daylily order that arrived yesterday. Oh and why was that ordered? Oh yes, to curb the ridiculous embarassment that she felt after NOT once but TWICE faux bingoing on AMF!... O.K. gals, let the flogging begin...

Shirley - I am sorry, I thought that I had your address in my OBF notebook. We have been e-mailing back and forth so much that I thought that I had it. Well on the brite side your box is a large flat rate box and weighs 8.31 lbs (and not because I put an 8lb brick in it, lol) stuffed with... (oh I am so itching to say) - all sorts of everything. If anybody else wants to know just e-mail me!
Except you Shirley! Since the surprises are for you! lol

And can everybody that reads this please send me your address and phone # unless you are worried I would talk your ear off. lol Except Vina & Jeanne I have y'alls in my notebook.

Carol - I chuckle every time I remember you saying "we gardeners here like new blood."

Katie - Got your e-mail and am def. writing back!

I love gardeners! But gardeners with a sense of humor are the bomb! (My kids give me all kinds of new & interesting words to use.) lol

Sue - If I had a facebook I would add you. Got your e-mail & will respond this evening (or tonite).

Hello to all my plant-pals!

Rena'

o

Oh no Rena so sorry- I thought with all the e-mails going back and forth we had taken care of the mailing address for each other. This is exactly why I asked all members for their phone numbers and I need to get those compiled and sent to everyone along with the address of each member.
You are so funny Rena you definetely add fun and excitement to our group. By the way did you get your package from me today? I mailed it Tuesday so you may get it tomorrow. Once I get to work I cannot use the Company computer for personal use so I don't see anything until I get home.

Thanks Jeanne and Annie for getting my address to Rena.

Rena-Did you say my box weighed only 8.3 lbs. You must have forgotten to put Christian in the box.

Shirley

o

O.K. I received Shirley's addy but alas not in time for today.

Annie - To Annie my sponsor: I had soooo intended to make your job easy, I thought sponsor o.k. but they'll see I GOT THIS! Um... yeah well I did in my dreams Annie. Geesh,
I can barely tolerate myself, this is a wonderful, wonderful group to put up with me and my melodrama. lol No worries girls, by the time 2026 rolls around I'll have it down pat, promise! lol

Fun Facts for Louisiana

Louisiana has the tallest state capitol building in the United States; the building is 450 feet tall with 34 floors.

Metairie is home to the longest bridge over water in the world, the Lake Pontchartrain causeway. The causeway connects Metairie with St. Tammany Parish on the North Shore. The causeway is 24 miles long.

Breaux Bridge is known as the "Crawfish Capital of the World".

Rayne is known as the "The Frog Capital of the World".

Mamou bills itself as "The Cajun Music Capital of the World." Mamou musicians, in particular the musicians who have perform at Fred's Lounge have been a major force in expanding the audience for Cajun music far beyond Southwest Louisiana.

Louisiana is the only state in the union that does not have counties. Its political subdivisions are called parishes.

Louisiana was named in honor of King Louis XIV.

The Eastern Brown Pelican is the state bird

The Magnolia is the state flower

The Bald Cypress is the state tree

The official song is "Give me Louisiana"

The state wildflower is The Louisiana Iris

The state insect is the Honeybee

The state freshwater fish is the White Perch

The state mammal is the Louisiana Black Bear

The state crustacean is the Crawfish

The state amphibian is the Green Tree Frog

The state reptile is the Alligator

The state drink is Milk

The unofficial state drink is the Hurricane

The state dog is the Catahoula Leopard Dog, often called the Catahoula Hound

The state musical instrument is the "Cajun Accordion"

Mardi Gras colors are Purple (Justice), Gold (Power), and
Green (Faith)

Mardi Gras begins after Twelfth Night, on Epiphany, and ends on Fat Tuesday, the day before Ash Wednesday.

Nutria is a Large semi-aquatic rodent. Nutria are smaller than a beaver but larger than a muskrat

Boudin is a type of sausage link that is used in Cajun and Creole dishes. It includes rice and other ingredients like crawfish, pork, alligator, etc. Boudin Noir is with pig blood

Turducken is a partially deboned turkey with a deboned duck inside and a deboned chicken inside that. Each has a different stuffing as well.

In Louisiana, biting someone with your natural teeth is considered a simple assault, but biting someone with your false teeth is considered an aggravated assault.

The Saint Charles streetcar line in New Orleans is one of two of the nation's only mobile national monuments

Jennings is called the "Garden Spot of Louisiana" for it's rich and productive farmland.

Bayou: \BUY-you\ n. a French name for slow-moving "river"

The oldest town in Louisiana is Natchitoches which was established in 1714.

Gueydan is known as the "Duck Capital of America" in recognition of its abundance of waterfowl.

Mamou bills itself as "The Cajun Music Capital of the World."

Louisiana Nicknames: Pelican State; Bayou State; Sportsman’s Paradise

Louisiana State Colors: Gold, white and blue

The state fossil: Petrified palmwood

The state gemstone: Agate

The state motto: "Union, Justice, Confidence"

The highest elevation is Driskill Mountain in Bienville Parish at 535 feet above sea level

The lowest elevation is New Orleans at eight feet below sea level

The first opera performed in America was in 1796 in New Orleans

The oldest salt dome in the Western Hemisphere was discovered in Avery Island in 1862

Rena'

o

Good Morning/Afternoon OBF'ERS,

I received "Show Off Your State" from Beth yesterday. Beth is from my neighbor...the fine state of Arizona!!!! I have visited AZ many, many times over the years and truly enjoy it each and every time I go!!

Beth sent me....

**a milky way candy bar...that guy I live with thanks you!

**Instead of a card, Beth sent me two "Arizona Highways" magazines.
1) "Scenic Drives"...traveling the roads of Arizona via the automobile.
2) "Wildflowers"......yes the AZ desert can put on a magnificent wildflower show in the Spring. Beth, I would suspect, this depends on how much rain you guys get?????
This issue also speaks of great hikes for one who loves flowers!!

**Two good size cactus...the real thing...LOL! Nice and prickly....LOL! Are these Saguaro????? I believe that is your state flower????? My husband thought they might be Prickly Pear....I don't know about that! How would these do in a pot with sandy soil???? These are very cool!!!

Beth also sent info on farming in Yuma, AZ....a winter haven for growing vegetables. She told me about where she lives and the challenge of growing "anything". Beth even wrote on pretty blue paper to show the color of her desert sky.

What a great swap! I so enjoyed this Beth! For those of you who have never ventured to AZ. The desert is quite beautiful and the terrain, obviously is unique.

And you are close to Wickenburg???? I recall a fun little bar in Wickenburg!!!

Thanks so much!

And to Rena' Faux Pas (I just love the sound of that)....happy to help you when you faux pas or not...LOL!

Tata....happy Friday!

Annie

o

I received a wonderful box from Margo today!
(Everything looks great, Margo...I know you were concerned about the plants, but they look fine. I'll baby them for a while and make sure they pop back, but I really think they will be OK.)

Margo sent: Lavender & balloon flower plants, along with a handmade spoon plant stake for each!
Also included: a postcard with a picture of the Wood County Courthouse in Bowling Green, OH. A large bag of mixed seeds. A package of Almondina chocolate cherry biscuits (yum!), which are made in Maumee, OH, just 15 minutes from Margo's town of Bowling Green. These are sold in the gift shop where she works as well.
A board book called "My First Ohio State Words" (Ohio State University- the Buckeyes). VERY neat!
She also included a local newspaper, which will be fun to read while I"m munching on those biscuits & enjoying my coffee! :)

Margo, THANK YOU for everything! It was a terrific box, and I'm excited to learn a little bit more about your neck of the woods! :)

~Thanks Pictures, Images and Photos

o

Hello, Lovely Ladies-I have really enjoyed all the information about the States coming thru. I had quite a time getting things ready for Michelle but finally got it in the mail.

Michelle- Your confirmation # is 0311 2550 0001 5574 7901. We aren't very far away from each other so it shouldn't take long to get to you. I do hope you enjoy the contents.

The weekend is here again & pray I will feel good enough tomorrow to get some work done outside. The weather is lovely I've so much to do! Have a wonderful weekend, All. Blessings, Margaret

o

Bunny, I am so glad those plants made it and I learned a little bit more about mailing at our post office. I fell short explaining much about our college town of Bowling Green. Yes, we have our own college here yet none of our five kids opted to go there. Preferred to go away and so far two never came back and I don't think the youngest two will either. Our middle child is still in the area with her husband so that's nice.

I have to tell you that my daughter describes the are here as so flat, you can watch your dog run away for days.

Margo

o

What a great idea to send the local newspaper. (Now why didn't I think of that?)

Anyway, I am trying to list who has mailed and who has received. If I made a mistake, let me know. Woke up at 3:45 a.m. this morning and couldn't get back to sleep. It has been a long day!

Melissa - Margo (Both have received)
Margaret - Michelle (Pkg sent to Michelle)
Melody - Vina
Beth - Annie (Both have received)
Rena' - Shirley

Jeanne sends to Dianne (Received)
Dianne sends to Sue G (Sent)
Sue G sends to Jeanne

The pacakges everyone put together have been great!
Jeanne

o

I have been busy as heck y'all! Sorry for the late responses! And on my last post I must of been typing when Shirley posted!

Shirley - Lol, He is so handsome I know! I'm a proud Momma yes indeed. Oh did I say 8.3? Oh no I meant 148.3! Now he eats 5 meals a day plus snacks! You better get to Sam's Club and stock up! lol Here's the DC on your package - 0310 1230 0001 1960 6810

No, the one you sent hasn't come in yet. Probably Monday our little P.O. is closed on Saturdays. Maybe we'll both
get them the same day!

Praying for you and your family Shirley.

Margo - That's funny! My daughters went next door and brought all of the kittens over to play. Sigh we named them all and now are so attached. If you lived close you could come visit the kitties and and adopt a few!

Oh BTW I loved that pic. of you and your family after the race! How wonderful!

Dianne - Thank you he is good looking, and even sweeter!

Jeanne & Beth - Thank y'all for sending me Shirley's address!

Annie - Thank you so much! I put your cell # in my notebook for safe keeping. And we all know I'll need it eventually! Poor Annie, everyone should send her a sympathy card for volunteering to be my sponsor! lol Thank you for responding to my SOS!

My day_ I ordered a few more daylilies. Variegated Kwanzo. Do any of y'all grow that one? I've been wanting it forever. I collect variegated plants, and have almost every variegated bearded iris available. I think there are only 2 or 3 that I don't have.

Started revamping one of my 11 gardens. O.k. I read all the warnings on NOT to plant honey suckle in your garden, I was gonna show them! Well... the 1st 2 years it was well tamed oh my gosh the 3rd, it was a monster! Seedlings are everywhere, the little roots that get missed resprout. I kick myself in the butt every time I work in that garden!

I have a sun garden that is literally in the shape of a sun. I made it with bricks. And initially it was going to be all yellow, orange and red plants - you know the colors of the sun. Somehow along the way I started putting other colors in there and now that is on my project list to get back in there and move all the "wrong" colors out.

I have a garden that I planted some mini conifers in and it was going to be scale for a fairy garden. But I also planted some plants in there that has thrown that out of balance so that's on the redo list also.

What are y'alls garden plans/chores/projects either started or on your "to do" list?

Here in Louisiana we garden all year long. The ground never freezes. In the winter the "almost no weeds" is really nice. I ordered all kinds of exotic amaryllis this year and want to pollinate them with the pollen from my fragrant reblooming crinum herbertii. And hopefully get some unique amarcrinums.

Oh and the note to Katie above she is a FOTESSer not an OBFer, sorry! Although I would love her to join OBF y'all would too, she is crazy funny!

Have an excellent weekend everyone!

Rena'

o

Good morning!

My car has been the shop for two weeks finally got it back yesterday afternoon so I can finish up Jeanne's box and get it out to her tomorrow -

I received Dianne's box on Friday and here is what I got!

Several magazines of Alabama and Alabama Funny Pages - really interesting stuff!
a spiral bond notebook - always need these to keep track of trades
Postcards of the area and some of Dianne's favorite wildflower seeds - I'll have to try these
A confederate jasmine cutting to remind me of Alabama's role in the Confederacy
A beautiful wooden box "Live Laugh Love"
A lovely note explaining the contents and their meaning
Some yummy homemade pear relish - hubby wants some with dinner tonight

Thanks Dianne!

o

Shirley,

Send me your addy - I have your hyacinth bean seeds ready to send.

Sue G

o

Annie, sorry for the slow answer.
The cactus are not suguaro, those are tall and skinny but huge. Very tall and very heavy.
The ones I sent are opunita engelmanii, for very good photos of this colorful cactus, go to
Southeastern Arizona Wildflowers
opunita emgelmanii-cactus apple
Both the fruits, prickly pears, and the pads, nopalita, are edible.
I always root the pads in pots and after a year or so plant them out. They get large but new plants seem to be extra vulnerable to the hungry Javelina. Some of my favorites were eaten before I realized this. LOL
Yes, we are north of Wickenburg and south of Prescott. Both are neat places where you just might see a prospector and his burrow walking down the street.
We like the Cowboy Cafe in Wickenburg but have not been there since it was moved down town.
This was a fun swap and nice to get to know Annie and a bit more about our neighbor state.
Jeannie, thanks for hosting such a fun theme.

o

hello
I got a great box yesterday from Margaret, thanks.
she sent me....
three great packages of bulbs double tulips, margurita tulips, and salome dafs, I'm just putting in a new bulb garden so these are great.
plant markers
some chips made in burlington,IA.
a small hummingbird feeder, I like the small feeders.
beanut butter and honey crackers.
tootsie pops( my boys claimed these)
suit block for the birds, just got a new feeder yesterday, what a coinsadence.
hershey symphany choc bar.
corn holders( funny Iowa...corn... I get it)
Iowa ref magnet
a Iowa hawkeyes card and 2 Iowa post cards.

what a great box, mine is a little late was waiting for something to come in the mail but it is late, I will get a small box off monday and send you another box what my order comes in.

thanks for the great stuff, I loved it
michelle

o

Sue you're so welcome for the box :) and everything in it...I was a little nervous about the pear relish as i wasn't sure if ya'll ate that type of thing but it is a favorite down here...so glad your hubby likes it ! ...i almost got you a bigger jar of it and guess i should have lol...if ya ever want anymore just give me a holler and if there's any to be found i'll pick it right up...the pear relish, something we call "chow chow", and strawberry/fig jelly are 3 of our local favorites...i really wanted to send you some "chow chow" but noone had any right now so I went with the pear relish :)

o

Nice boxes being received good job everyone.

Rena-I hear you on the invasive plants. Gosh I hate some things that I got started in my beds. Mint is one of the worst with roots traveling underground at a high rate of speed. I found it growing up in the middle of a dead tree stump the other day. Love variegated plants. I found a variegated Rose Of Sharon on one of my trips to Atlanta, Ga. boy was I excited.

Sue G.-sending my address and thanks for the seeds.

Shirley

o

Hi! So sorry I've missed a week. Kids got sick and then a couple days later, wouldn't ya know it I get it too and then some! Lost my voice, was in bed for 2 days. That was horrible!

My voice came back yesterday and I'm starting on the mend :) Just feel like I'm trying to play 'catch-up'.

I just checked emails, haven't in a week, and Melody emailed me back on the 15th that she was getting my box tog. I plan on mailing out Melody's box on Thursday.

Hope everyone is well!
Talk to you later!
vina

ps. playing catch up in no fun :(

o
More Catch UP :(

Lordy! Annie, I just remembered I need to mail out your prize from MNF Bingo. The Firestorm Daylily. I didn't forget ya!!
I'll mail that out on Thursday too. Post DC when I do.

Good heavens! I need to make a list...
vina

o

Beth....thanks for the info on the cactus! Tells you how much I know....nada when it comes to cactus, among other things...LOL!

Jeanne...THANK YOU!! I received my prize (Palmetto Tree bookmark and a South Carolina postcard with the recipe for FROGMORE STEW)on Saturday. Now that stew sounds delicious. Another "something" that I have never heard of. Do you South Carolinians make this often?? Or is this common only in the Beufort area?? Is this served in resaurants as Frogmore Stew, Beufort or Low Country Stew?? I just do not recall this the last time I was in SC. I love local food!

Vina...you need not send me anything!! Take care!

The "state" boxes sent/received have been great!! Jeanne, loved this swap....Thanks!!

Annie

o

Came home to the most awesome box ever. Rena really outdid herself sending all these fantastic things in her state box.

Bag of black & gold blend coffee
Slap ya mama cajun seasoning-yeah
Bag of Cobbler mix(just add fruit)
Writing pad & pen
Coffee cup with flowers
Bag of honey butter cornbread mix
Native species iris breuicoulis
Louisiana gardener landscape magazine
Helping hands sticky notes
Potted iris sculpture
Thank you for being my friend stamp pad
Red hat bird house
Native cactus upuntia bulbs
Daisy seeds
Aesturium snowball bulbs
Gladioulus communis cruentus bulbs
Wooden chest
Lycoris radiata red spider lily bulbs

Rena-Wow you really did do some serious shopping on this box. I was cooking dinner and eyed that bag of honey butter cornbread mix so fixed it. DH could not quit eating the cornbread until all gone it was so delicious. YUM
Will try the cobbler mix tomorrow. I definetely don't need to tell you how to pack a box. Thank you so much and sure hope your box arrived. Don't know why I pay for 2-3 days priority mail it never gets there in 2-3 days.

Vina-So glad you are some better and back with us. I hate being sick and plan to take the flu shot they are offering at work.

Shirley

o

Shirley - Thank you Shirley I received my box today from you! And we did both get them the same day, how 'bout that! :-)

In my box from Shirley was:
A beautiful card with a Northern Cardinal, North Carolina's state bird.

A recipe card for "Shirley's Pound Cake" & "Baked Mac & Cheese"

5 tourism brochures and a Traveler's Travel Guide for the Smoky Mtns. (very interesting)

An Autumn journal (I can never have enough of these!)

A neat little memory book that she made of tourism sites. (I believe I have to put North Carolina on my list of places to go now.)

2 Daylilies - Laura Harwood boy I really wanted this one too!
Spacecoast Picotee Prince my 1st Spacecoast daylily!

Crocosmia - Emilie Mckenzie corms

I love everything Shirley! Thank you very much!

I'm glad you liked your box.
I had started a note in your notebook to you explaining everything but didn't finish.

1.) In Louisiana we have a treasure trove of native flora. (chest)
2.) A native Iris here is the species brevicaulis also commonly called "Zigzag" Iris.
3.) Spider Lilies, 4.) Leucojum aestivum "Snowbells", and 5.) Gladiolus communis "Cruentus" (a hardy glad.) have all naturalized in our state.
6.) Our state is well known for its Southern hospitality, and everyone's always willing to lend a helping hand to even strangers.
7.) Everyone is always ready for company that just drops in with coffee and dessert on hand.
8.) Even non sports fans (like myself) are really into our football team The New Orleans Saints and their colors are black & gold. (The coffee bag had a fleur de lis on it also.)
9.) The hat birdhouse matched the red hat on the pic. at the top of all OBF threads. Had to get that even though it had nothing to do with my state.
10.) All the food items were made here in Louisiana.
11.) The plastic zip bags with hook is for seed saving in your garden & the clip is to hook it on your waistband. The colors of Mardi Gras.
12.) Most people aren't even aware that we have 3 native cactus here in LA! Yep, Opuntia compressa, (I sent you two fruits of this one), Opuntia drummondi and Opuntia lindheimeri. We also have native yuccas. (But I couldn't fit one more thing in that box Shirley believe me I tried too even stuff a Cafe Du Monde beignet mix in there it just wouldn't go.)
13.) Put the LA garden mag. in place of a card.

I'm glad you liked everything! This was so fun!

Jeanne - I found 2 books a couple of years ago on Amazon specifically on variegated plants. One focuses on plants 'Variegated Leaves' by Susan Condor & the other one is 'Variegated Trees & Shrubs' by Ronald Houtman. Both are great books but I try not to look at them to often as it usually sets me off on a fanatical trek to find some elusive plant, that I pay too much money for, that croaks on me. lol Oh a variegated Rose Of Sharon I know that is beautiful! (MUST NOT OPEN BOOK and look... ) lol

Rena'

o

Lol this is what happens from stayin' up late and getting up early.

Sorry Shirley, I went back and reread last several posts & you found the Rose Of Sharon!

Rena'

o

Shirley...I emailed you my phone # 1-2 months ago. Did you receive?
I would love an OBF phone number or two...just in case!!!

Rena', I sent you mail via GW!

Super North Carolina and Louisiana boxes from Shirley and Rena'.

Happy Tuesday!

Annie

o

What wonderful boxes people are sending! It amazes me every time I read what is sent.

Here's our updated list:

Margaret - Michelle (Michelle received)
Melody - Vina
Rena' - Shirley (Both have received)

Dianne sends to Sue G (Received)
Sue G sends to Jeanne

Vina, sorry to hear you've been sick. Get well soon.

I always enjoy reading all the posts. The board has had lots of fun on it this month!

Jeanne

o

hello
mine went in the mail yesterday
should get there soon, we are so close.
michelle

o

I just wanted to stop by and say I have enjoyed this swap and all this good company on here lol...i do have a real life very much so but it's always nice to be able to sit down and visit friends where you can just relax for a few and share your day :)...so thanks to all of ya'll for making this a great group and for accepting me into it...my 1st experience with the group was lots of fun and it's nice to get to know ya'll...ttyl, dianne

o

Oct. flowergirl34
Nov. nottougly
Dec. margaret_2007

Active Members of OBF
Amy/serenity_lane_ga
Annnie/canyonwind
Carol/veega11
Christine/Christine00
Dianne/moonfire
Faye/nottougly
Janet/1JanetH
Jeanne/sandlapper_rose
Jen/jlee160
Margaret/margaret-2007
Margo/smitties
Mary Ellen/mellen
Maryanne/earthlydelights
Melissa/hazelnutbunny
Melody/astroknot
Michelle/micyrey
Rena-gardenofeden777
Rose/rosemctier
Shirley/brittneysgran
Sue/sguanzon
Vina/flowergirl34

Vina-You have the month of Oct. can't wait to join this one.

Annie-I will check and see which phone numbers I am missing and get that list out to everyone. I know I don't have a few of the newer members.

Shirley

o

Whew, this month flew by!

Today I received my box from Sue G. Wow! So many of you have sent such wonderful boxes and now that I had already sent, I am full of ideas of what I could have sent. LOL Maybe one day we will do this swap again and just match so that we send to a different person.

Anyway, Sue sent a mini cholla cactus (and she kindly warned me to be careful unwrapping it), a medicinal aloe plant (I love these for when you get a burn - I keep it handy in the kitchen and the one I have is on its last leg so this is a nice, large replacement), a set of postcards of Arizona (so beautiful!), Coconut Scented Geranium Seeds (I love scented geraniums and haven't had one for several years now so this is great), Arizona Sun Gaillardia seeds, some magazines about Arizona and gardening in Arizona (wow, the plant life is really different from what we have here!), and a scorpion paperwight. Glad it's a dead scorpion, Sue. Sure wouldn't want to deal with one of those.
Also, Sue said there was a mesquite seedling, but I hope it didn't get tossed away. I went through the wrappings a second time and just couldn't find it.
Your package was fantastic, Sue, and it really cheered up my day. Thanks so much!

Here's our updated list:

Margaret - Michelle (Michelle received and mailed)
Melody - Vina

Sue G sends to Jeanne (Recived)

Just a few more people to hear from and then the swap will be closed. I hope I didn't msis anyone's post.

Jeanne

o

Morning everyone!

Melody, shipped your "State" off to you yesterday. Left the DC in the car, I'll post when I bring it in. :) Hope you likey.

Annie, there is NO way I'm NOT going to send you your SUPER Bingo Prize. In fact, it's on the way as I type. Mailed out yesterday. And that DC is also in the car :) I'll post when I bring in.

I'll be posting October on Monday :) Hope your in the mood for something S~P~O~O~K~Y ! :)

Talk to you later!
vina

ps. Thanks everyone! I'm feeling much better by the way :)

o

Hello everyone. Great swap. Sorry I missed this one too. I am hoping to get back into the swing of things real soon. I can't believe it's the end of September already, this year sure has ticked away quickly. I feel we are in for a harsh winter, and i'm sure that will just drag on and on. I prefer the cold to the heat, but my winter activities sure will be curtailed this year!

Jeanne this was a great idea for a swap and I agree, I sure hope somewhere down the line it is repeated. I miss those mystery boxes we used to do too!!!!

Well, I hope everyone had an enjoyable summer. I have so much yard work to do, but i am hoping winter helps out with all the overgrown mess that once was my back yard. it looks like a jungle. I did buy a new chain saw right before my HA, but i still haven't used it. Not ready to exert myself like that just yet.

Be well everyone!
Maryanne

o

Maryanne-Glad to see your post, yes this years has flown by. I believe Sept. went quicker than any month. I have been wide open getting flower beds trimmed and mulched before Winter. You take it easy and don't over do.

We have a new member in our group. Katie (kchd) e-mailed me and asked to join the group. She has traded with 3 of our members so became an OBFer. Everyone welcome Katie please.

Katie-I hope you can join our Oct. swap which is forth coming. Vina will be the host and does an excellent job each and every time she hosts.

Shirley

o

Hello, Lovely Ladies-My internet has been down the last 2 days, long enough I was getting the shakes! I received Michelle's package. I know with all she sent, I hope I don't forget to list everything!
Plants-Sedum Autumn Fire-Iris, white & chocolate-Surprise Lily's, Pink Home-made bag of goodies-the cutest bag she had made filled with Clam shells to lay in flowerbeds that fill with water when it rains for butterflies, Clam shells & beads to hang in the garden, (Just darling),saying she gets the shells by the River Fabius by their home. What a talented Lady! A Pocket Naturalist Guide to Roadside Wildflowers (so interesting as I have been looking at since the Internet has been down), A book, " Tried & True Missouri Native Plants" which I have also been looking at, Gardener's Soap, Deck of Cards "Missoui, The Show-Me State", A beautiful card with a Cardinal on it, a Missouri magnet for the refrigerator. Now for the seeds,--Iron Weed, Hosta, Big Mama, Red Bud Tree, Tithonia Sunflower, Wild Parsnip Catepilar Food Plant, Giant Imperial Larkspur, Milkweed, Mimosa Tree, Batchelor Buttons. I can certainly see this Lovely Lady truly loves the wonderful creatures & plants God has blest us with. Thank you so much, Michelle-

Also, Thanks to you, Jeanne, for hosting this great swap & all who participated making it so interesting. It has been fun & rewarding learning about some of the States of this wonderful country. GOD BLESS AMERICA! Blessings, Margaret

o

Katie (kchd), WELCOME to OBF!!!

Thanks again Jeanne!! So enjoyed this swap.

Another great box for Margaret from Michelle!!

Happy Saturday!!

Annie

o

Welcome, Katie! You will love it here at OBF.

Boxes updated once again:

Margaret - Michelle (Both have received)
Melody - Vina (Vina has sent)

Sue G sends to Jeanne (Recived)

Once Melody and Vina have received, the swap will be complete.

Jeanne

o

Hello everyone,

So sorry I've been MIA. Just been so unorganized lately. :( Not even able to keep up with Gardenweb.

I mailed Vina's package late (again, so sorry!), on Thursday. The delivery confirmation # is 9505500013352271000084. According to USPS, it was delivered to NY this morning.

Also, I wanted to let you guys know that Vina's package from NY just arrived here. She sent me:

-- divisions of "Big Apple" daylily (ah, what a lovely color! I gravitate towards it just like a hummingbird.)
-- cute little solar-powered sunflower desktop decoration (under bright light it dances around)
-- some pamphlets about New York (Six Nations Indian Village; postcard featuring the "state pest", the Asian longhorned beetle; New York Camping Guide book; Adirondack Forest Preserve map; save the Wetlands conservation poster; New York State Fair program guide; and two Arbor Day posters.

Thank you Vina! Hope you enjoyed my package, and sorry it arrived so late.

~ Melody

o

I just wanted to say I loved this swap...thanks all for making it great...educational too lol...there are fun ways to learn new things and this was 1 of them :)

o

Morning!

My super package arrived from Melody on Saturday. I can't believe HOW much she got into that box!

In my amazing "California" box was:
~2 Japanese Balloons for the kids (so cute!)
~a California mix CD. Haven't listened to it yet, but can't wait!The note says these song remind Melody about California :) I Left My Heart in San Fransisco...I love this song!
~Plant stakes
~A Beautiful Flower hair clip. Taylor wore this to school today! Did you make this? It is SO pretty!
~Maxea Plant Food. This is a California Company
~A Cable Car Post Card
~California Note Cards. Printed in Del Monte Oaks, Monterey.
~Ghirardelli Chocolate...another California Company! YUMMY!!
~California Native Seeds: Poppy: Confetti Mix
And more seeds!
~Viola: Sorbet Marina Babyface
~Salvia: Forest Fire
~Columbine: Mrs. Scott Elliot
~Nigella: Bridal Veil
~Crocomosia: Lucifer
~Nigella: Persian Violet
~Nigella: Mulberry Rose
I really need to look some of these up. I bet they are just gorgeous!

Melody, THANK YOU SO MUCH!! This was a most thoughtful and thought out package. Every single part was a special California touch :)

Everything was wrapped with adorable fuzzy ribbon and labeled with cute little sayings. This was just so thoughtful!

I can't thank you enough!

And, I'm so happy to see that my box made it to you. I was hoping you didn't have that daylily already. It seemed fitting since I'm part of the "big apple", lol. :)

Have a super day everyone!
vina

ps. I'm posting October right now. Who's ready for some spooky fun?

pss. THANKS AGAIN MELODY!

o
One more thing...

Sorry, forgot one last thing in my package.

Melody sent me a recipe for Pavlova, a delicious meringue dessert. I actually put this over by my recipe clip next to the stove. I plan on making it tomorrow and made my grocery list for ingredients this morning. :)

LOVE IT! Looks so yummy! I may need to do an extra 40 minutes on the treadmill, but it looks so worth it :)

o

Vina, glad you liked it! I did not make the flower clip, it's actually a souvenir I had from Hawaii (couldn't track down a California flower), but when there's a song with the lyrics, "If you're going to San Francisco, be sure to wear flowers in your hair", I just had to include it.

And no, I don't have the "Big Apple" daylily yet, so I've very excited to plant it. I don't have much of a daylily collection, actually. Up until three months ago, I didn't even know what a daylily IS! Lol. So thank you!

~ Melody

o

Still more great boxes have arrived at their destination. Thanks to everyone for the great communication this month and such wonderful, creative packages being sent.
Okay, that wraps things up. Be sure to check out the October swap!
Jeanne

o

While I was out of town, I received two more plants from Sue G. My husband opened the box and put them in soil for me so hopefully they are fine. I will go outside to check them out once it warms up a little. Thanks again, Sue!
Jeanne

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here