Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sjc48

update:mnf august swap-recycle and read

sjc48
12 years ago

Hey Everybody, we're over here now!

Friday, 8/12 is the deadline, and we'll be posting the list of who goes first, second, third (you get the idea!)on Saturday, 8/13.

I'll be sending out the all the addresses, like Dan did, on Saturday, also. If I need your email, I'll yell, okay?

Also remember that, in addition to the book, you are to send some seeds that are mentioned in the book.

I plan on making one last concentrated effort to boost Dan out of first place, by using the "B" word-probably won't work, but I'm going to try! How about the rest of you?

Talk to ya all soon!

Shirley!

Comments (148)

• sjc48
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi Everyone!
    Okay-I checked another swap that was similar to ours, and what they did at the end was to give the last item left to the last person, SO - Melissa, you can go ahead and mail your book to Kathie.
    Sorry for all the confusion, should have checked this out before posting-Sorry!
    Has anyone heard from Kathie? I emailed her this morning but haven't heard back yet. Hope she is okay!
    Ellie-hope you are doing well!
    We're having beautiful weather here, hope everybody else is enjoying nice weather too.
    Here's what's going on, Folks!
    Dan chose Shirley's book - Shirley sent;
    Margo Chose Wendy's book; Wendy posted for Margo;
    Annie chose Mavis' book;
    Wendy chose Kathie's book; waiting to hear from her;
    Shirley chose Alana's book; sent and received;
    Alana chose Beth's book;
    Iris chose Annie's book;
    Ellie chose Iris' book;
    Mavis chose Margo's book; Margo sent;
    Melissa chose Ellie's books; Ellie sent;
    Grace chose Dan's book; Dan will mail to Grace once she's home from vacation;
    Beth chose Grace's book; Grace will mail to Beth, once she's home from vacation;
    Kathie gets Melissa's book, because she is the last one standing!
    See anything I missed? Any corrections? Let me know!
    Shirley!

• beth_b_kodiak
    12 years ago

wow, books arriving already. Hop e I get an address so mine can go out tomorrow.
    Wendy, we are in NE Nevada for the summer. Both China MT art 8700 foot and Middle Stack Mt are here on the ranch. Middle Stack ( elev 8028 Ft) is the one I look at as I am doing dishes. Sure makes that job more pleasant.
    We try to get away from the AZ heat each summer. This year, I think we hit the Jackpot for cool places.
    Grace, Is it safe to mail worms now? I sure was not expecting to get them too.
    BB

• smitties
    12 years ago

Wendy, you made me laugh when seeing sun hit your yard, you began to think new seeds.

You can wait to send the seeds with the book. Although I am excited to see what seeds you are talking about, you could have sent things from you garden rather than purchase something. I am happy with anything and I have 5 1/2 acres of garden playground. Thank you.

Long day here. Went up to Detroit to visit my mom. She's been at a nursing home for a few months now. We like to take her to lunch and then for a drive out to the old areas we use to live near. It's very tiring but she loves it.

Good night everyone. Margo

• sassybutterfly_2008
    12 years ago

Thanks Margo! I would have normally sent my own garden seeds but unfortunately this year the only seeds I've even bothered to save were Gloriosa Daisies. We had a tree fall on our back porch in May and I was on it when it happened. Knocked me quite good! Needless to say.. not much gardening got done this year at ALL! In fact, the yard has gone wild, and not in a good way! I'm still recovering but hopefully by next year I'll be back to normal and can get back in the garden again! :) I'll keep you posted for when the seeds arrive.

~Wendy

• celeegra
    12 years ago

Beth, it's pretty 70-80' weather here so it's fine for sending worms. As long as it isn't scorching or freezing there, it should be ok. Altho your mention of ice concerns me. Anyway if you're not ready with a bin & bedding for them just yet, then I'll send them the Monday after I get back 8/29.

Dan, if you could hold off til Wed, that would be awesome. Not that I'm afraid of coodies. There've been some heavy rains here, so I just don't want the book to sit on my porch & get drenched while I'm gone.
    Thanks a bunch!
    Great swap!
    Hip hip hurrah to Margo & Shirley!

• Iris ( ranegrow ) z7 Maryland
    12 years ago

Good morning everyone ! I will be mailing Ellie's book today on my lunch break and will post the DC # this afternoon . Hope everyone is having a good day , picked more green beans yesterday evening when I got home from work ... the heat hasn't bothered them much at all ... my freezer is getting FULL !! ;-)

Wendy, I know you will love having more sun next year , I haven't forgotten about your seeds ... I wanted to go thru my seed stash and it's taking longer than I thought it would ...

Iris

• sassybutterfly_2008
    12 years ago

Iris ~ no worries!!
    take your time!

• sjc48
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Everyone - just got done having a Pampered Chef party, contrary to my expectations, it was fun! Not that I'll be having another one any time soon!
    Hope to see more people posting whether they have sent or received their books. Today was the deadline to send them out. Let us know what's happening!
    See ya tomorrow!
    Shirley!

• hazelnutbunny
    12 years ago

I'll be mailing my book tomorrow. I've had 2 sick babies this week, so I've not been able to get out. But it'll go tomorrow, promise. :)

• sjc48
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Not a problem, Melissa, hope the little ones are feeling better soon!
    Shirley!

• canyonwind
    12 years ago

Iris, I am now home!! It is great to leave home and go bye-bye...but it is also great to come home! I just packed up your package...it is headed out tomorrow (Friday). I will post the DC# after I send.

Happy Friday!

Annie

• sjc48
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm getting a little confused-think I'm in too many swaps!
    Melissa-hope the kids are feeling better.
    Looks like its going to be another nice day, we were supposed to get T-Storms last evening-didn't happen, had to water after PC party! Pain!
    Be back later!
    Shirley!

12 years ago

Ellie , My SO mailed your book to you today, I am sorry I didn't get to mail it yesterday as I had planned to ,apparently the PO near my workplace is no longer open at lunchtime and the PO near my house is not open when I leave for work and also not open when I am returning home ! grrr... Anyways ... it is finally on its way to you, hope you enjoy it and the seeds I included ;-) The DC is :

0310 2010 0001 2923 7221

Annie, I am looking forward to getting the cookbook, I have a bottle of wine in the fridge just waiting on a good recipe ;-)

Hope everyone is enjoying their friday night . I will be planting lettuce in the fall garden spot tomorrow and attending a baby shower for a friend of mine who is an almost 2 years breast cancer survivor . I will be a 1 year survivor next month ;-)

Iris

• canyonwind
    12 years ago

Iris, your cooking with vino cookbook went out this morning. I hope you have plenty of wine around to "sip" while you are cooking!!!!! LOL!!!
    I was thinking last night that one year was right around the corner. Cheers!!! I think a bottle of champagne is in order!!

DC# 0306 0320 0003 2778 7938

Happy weekend to all.

Annie

• sjc48
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Good Morning!
    I'm at a loss here - nowhere I have to be, nobody coming in, nothing planned - a free day - I don't remember how to act!
    I had a Goldfinch come in this morning and land on one of the small Zinnias-the bird looked like he was using it as a springboard, it was so funny, he came back twice before he gave up!
    Yeah, the camera was inside!
    Here's an update on the Swap:
    I sent Dan's book earlier this week-Dan, did you get it?;
    Wendy is waiting for seeds to send to Margo;
    Annie chose Mavis' book-has anyone heard from Mavis?
    Wendy chose Kathie's book-waiting to hear from her;
    I chose Alana's book - Rec'd, what a great book!;
    Alana chose Beth's book;
    Iris chose Annie's book - Annie sent;
    Ellie chose Iris' book - Iris sent;
    Mavis chose Margo's book - Margo sent;
    Melissa chos Ellie's book - Ellie sent;
    Grace chose Dan's book - Dan will send once Grace is home;
    Beth chose Grace's book - Grace will send once she is home;
    Kathie gets Melissa's book - Melissa's has sick babies, will mail when she can! Hope the kids are feeling better, Bunny!
    Hey, have a great day, I'm going to go sit on the back porch and take pictures!

Shirley!

• hazelnutbunny
    12 years ago

Kathie's book is on it's way. I'm not sure how it was shipped, though (priority, first class, parcel)....my son took it in for me, since I couldn't get away. I'm sorry! I feel like I dropped the ball on this one! :(

• sjc48
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Melissa!!!! You've had 3 sick kids all week and still managed to complete your part of the swap - how does that compute to "dropping the ball?"
    don't be goofy!
    hope the kids are feeling better.
    thanks to your son for mailing it for you-good job!
    Shirley!

• beth_b_kodiak
    12 years ago

Alana, your book should be there Monday. PO says it is in Lexington.
    DC # 0309 0330 0000 7039 9437
    Picked up paint today and went to the farmers market.
    Came home to find a bunch of melons cukes,peppers,and squash here from visitors. We are feasting tonight. Yeahoo.

• dan_the_mailman
    12 years ago

yep, I got it wednesday and posted I'd received it. I've been reading it and using it to identify what I have. I've got some extremely bright yellow black-eyed susans in the back of my yard which are very healthy, and I have some multi-colored and double-petalled ones in the front part of the yard which are already dying out for the season. after reading the book, I'm going to move those into the back part of the yard where they'll hopefully thrive next year. thanks again for sending such an informative book!

• sjc48
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry, Dan, I missed that. The 5th seed is also a Hardy Geranium.
    Shirley

• mavis07
    12 years ago

Hi Everyone!
    My apologies Annie, your book wont' mail until Monday
    :( I've been working unexpected 12 hour shifts and have not been able to get to the post office.

Margo, I received your package and want to give a huge thank you! I got a wonderful book about vines from the game I won and a great quesion and answer books about plants! I also got all kinds of goodies, plant markers, a sharpie, seeds, baggies, a book marker, just to name a few.

Thanks for a great swap!

Again Annie, I'm sorry I didn't make it to the post office but will on Monday!

Mavis

• hazelnutbunny
    12 years ago

I received books from Ellie yesterday! She sent a selection of seeds, including nasturtium, chives & sage (was actually just saying a few days ago how I needed to plant some sage!).
    Thank you, Ellie! I love them both, I read the herb one last night, and I'm leafing through the house plant one today. :)

• sjc48
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hello! Good to see that everyone is sending and receiving books. We're moving right along!
    Has anyone heard from Kathie? Again, hope she is okay.
    Went to a Farm Market yesterday, lots of veggies, having a great mixed salad with dinner today!
    Shirley!

• dan_the_mailman
    12 years ago

Shirley, are those seeds also called cranesbill? I know of two different types of hardy geranium, and they look vastly different. I have some purple cranesbill in my yard which is called "Aunt Dot", and would like to get some other colors and fill my stone circle with them. We call this cranesbill "Aunt Dot" because it originally came from the aunt-in-law of one of my sisters. No one knew what it was, just that it was pretty, hardy, and came from Aunt Dot. Then my sister Diane began giving out divisions to people in our family, and we've kept the name. I've sent out divisions of Aunt Dot to various people over the years I've been trading here on the GW.
    Whichever hardy geranium these seeds wind up being, they're getting a place of their own in my yard next Spring. What they are will only determine where they go...lol!

I'll be mailing out Grace's book and seeds tomorrow. I'm hoping they get to her house the same time she gets back home. I'm going to enjoy putting her package together later this evening, it'll make a nice way to relax. I went out to mow my yard this morning only to find that the mower is broke. The springs attached to the choke are sprung, so it starts okay, but doesn't stay running. Thankfully, my weedeater is in fine condition, and with it, I was able to get the yard done. I may have a small trailer park lot, but that's a lot to do with a weedeater! It was hot, sweaty, and left me with a few sore muscles, but the yard looks much better! I'm just glad I didn't have to scythe it all....lol! So, after fooling around with the mower and weedeater this morning, playing with seeds and sending someone a nice package will make a great change of pace!

Talk to you all later!
    Dan

• sjc48
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Dan, yes, they are called Cranesbill. I discovered them earlier this year, had never heard of them. They are really beautiful, and duh, hardy. There are many different kinds. I got some seeds in different seed swaps, and my boss gave me 3 huge clumps of a type called Johnsons Blue. Also found a website in the UK that had a lot varieties. I've had varied success in planting the seeds. I've got 15 little pots of them outside, as we speak, and the only ones that have germinated are the Album. I'm thinking they need a cold period, so I'm going to WS the rest of my seeds this winter. Oh, they are also supposed to be good butterfly nectar plants! Those plants always work for me!
    What color are the "Aunt Dot's"?
    And to further confuse you, there are also Heronbills and Storkbills, neither of which is a hardy geranium, just thought I'd toss that out there!
    I've been working on a project for the September MNF Swap; it's funny, no matter what kind of glue I use, or no matter how careful I am, it always ends up everywhere! My two nosy cats don't help much either!
    Later!
    Shirley!

• sinbadsmom
    12 years ago

HiShirley and everyone else, please let me apologize for my not being here. I spent a week with family up in Maine and have had nothing but trouble trying to get this computer to behave since I got back. Guess I am going to have to give in and take it in to have it looked at. I will be happy with any book left and I will get mine in the mail tomorrow to Wendy. Kathie

• sjc48
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Kathie! Really good to hear from ya! Yes, you are mailing to Wendy, and I'll email you her address. Melissa is sending to you, in fact it is already on its way, thanks to her oldest son!
    Hope you had fun with the family. I get to spend a week in Minney with my granddaughters next week and you can believe - I am really excited!
    Sometimes, I really hate computers-mine was acting up at the beginning of the swap-aggravating as H--L! About a year ago, I had to break down and buy a new one. I was so sick of taking the old one to the repair shop-3 times in 6 months! Now, with the new one, I can't make CDs, but I am STILL so sick of dealing with it, that I haven't made the effort to get it repaired. It's not a biggie, but I'm just not ready to deal with it.
    Well, gotta go clean up another glue mess-this is getting silly!
    Shirley!

• dan_the_mailman
    12 years ago

Grace, your book is now in the air...lol! Your dc# is 0311 0240 0001 6280 5375.

• sjc48
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey Everyone! Hope you all had a good day!
    Here's where we are with the Swap:
    Dan rec'd from me;
    I rec'd from Alana;
    Mavis rec'd from Margo;
    Melissa rec'd from Ellie;
    Dan sent to Grace;
    Beth sent to Alana;
    Melissa sent to Kathie;
    Annie sent to Iris;
    Iris sent to Ellie;
    Kathie will mail to Wendy;
    Wendy will mail to Margo;
    Grace will mail to Beth, when she gets home;

If you see anything I've missed, please post here with it!

I'll be out doing job hunts and interviews this week, and then I'm leaving Saturday for a week with my granddaughters (YAY!!!!), might not be on very much, but I'll check back in as often as I can and will post one last "status report" before I leave. I'll have internet access in Minney, don't know how often I'll be on, tho.

Later!
    Shirley!

12 years ago

Hi everyone !

I received the most awesome package from Annie today ! The Cooking with wine cookbook is wonderful ! I love it ! Every recipe sounds scrumptious ! I am going to have to buy a few more bottles of wine so I can make them all !! Annie also sent some wonderful wine brochures and lots of great seeds ! Its better than Christmas ! Thank you so much Annie ! My SO is going to be eating very well thanks to you ;-) I wish you could come for dinner and wine ;-)

Iris

• elliesfun
    12 years ago

Received the book from Iris today. It is a wonderful book for my collection. I have 4 other Better Home & Garden books. They are great reference books plus I love the pictures. When I am really tired, I just love to look at the pictures in the books. Thank you also for all the seeds. This was a terrific swap! Thank you everyone who participated.

Ellie

• poisondartfrog
    12 years ago

I came home to find Beth's wonderful book "The Garden in Autumn." I can't wait until the weekend when I can really dig into it. I selected it because my fall garden leaves a lot to be desired and I am determined to work on it.
    The Asters and Sedum seeds she included will help with that as well.
    Thanks Beth! I am delighted,
    Alana

• sassybutterfly_2008
    12 years ago

Just an update!

Margo, your seeds arrived today so I'll be getting your package in the mail tomorrow!

I have also been emailing with Kathie and she will be holding the book until a few more seeds ripen in her garden and then sending it out then.

Happy Gardening!
    ~Wendy

• mavis07
    12 years ago

Hi Annie,

I finally made it to post office with your package. I hope you enjoy your book! The dc # is 03102010000142314596

Mavis

• sjc48
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Everyone! Well, my super busy week is over, and I'm all packed and ready to go visit the grandbabies for a week!
    I played hookey from the job search on Wednesday and went, with a friend, to Cleveland to get pics of the Cleveland Harbor Lighthouses. It was pretty neat! We went on the Goodtime lll for a cruise of the harbor and the Cuyahoga River-you wouldn't believe how many bridges there are, over that river! We got good pics of the two pierhead lights and a kind of hazy pic of the East Entrance light. AND-TA DA!! With those three lights, I now have pics of all 28 of the lights on the American side of Lake Erie-took me three years and lots of scrambling over breakwaters, thro some pretty deserted areas, and one SUPER slow boat out of Toledo, but it's done! Now I can start on Lake Michigan, which is a much bigger project!
    In any event, I'll probably be out of touch most of next week, hope everyone continues to get their books out. We're doing really well so far:
    Dan, Mavis, Melissa, Ellie, Iris, Alana and myself have received their books; Mavis and Annie are in touch; Grace is mailing hers when she gets home.
    Alana-hope your weekend goes well!
    Please keep everyone in your thoughts and prayers, with regard to that earthquake and Irene.
    Talk to you all soon!
    Shirley!

• canyonwind
    12 years ago

Mavis, I will love the cookbook!!!

Shirley, enjoy your week with the babies!

To all in Irene's path, please be safe!

Happy weekend!

Annie

• smitties
    12 years ago

Received my book from Wendy today. It is a great cookbook to add to my collection. I just love cookbooks.

It was well worth the wait as she included nine packs of seeds that were on my "wants" list.

Thanks Wendy and thanks to all of you who helped make this swap a great success!!

Margo

• sassybutterfly_2008
    12 years ago

You are very welcome Margo! I hope you enjoy the recipes and the flowers! :)

~Wendy

• celeegra
    12 years ago

Dan, I got your book just in time to pick up on Thursday before heading out again on Friday! Lucky I did because boy did the hurricane hit hard over the weekend. I got stuck in MD without power - no Internet or tv or even cellphone reception - & just got back late last night.

Everyone else on the east coast safe & sound?

Beth, I'm ready to send your book. Just let me know if you wanna try a few worms too or not.
    Ok folks, stay safe!
    Grace

• sjc48
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Everyone! Greetings from Eden Prairie, MN, right outside Minneapolis! Having a great week with the granddaughters, but it's funny how I forget from one visit to the next, how busy a 3 year old can be! Now I know why my daughter sounds tired when we do phone chats!
    Well, it's the last day of the month, and I think this swap is just about completed. Grace is sending to Beth; Kathie is sending to Wendy; and hopefully, Kathie has received Melissa's book. Everyone else has their book and seeds!
    Please remember to post here when you receive your book, so we can officially close this swap.
    Off to bed, these girls are up anytime from 6 am on!
    Later,
    Shirley!

• celeegra
    12 years ago

Hi Beth, so sorry for the delay! Your book is going out today via DC# 9405 5036 9930 0212 1086 92
    Shirley, thanks so much for hosting a great swap! Hip hip hurray to you!
    Grace

• sjc48
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Grace! Thanks for checking in!
    Well, that takes care of everyone except Kathie. She is to be sending to Wendy, and I think we can wait till the end of the week to hear from her. And then we can close this swap out!
    Grace, I have 2 cats, so I think we both know what Olive's answer will be!
    Later,
    Shirley!

• canyonwind
    12 years ago

Mavis sent out her package to me on Aug 26th. It is taking its sweet time in getting here...LOL! I will post after I receive!!

Thanks much!

Annie

• sjc48
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Annie, thanks for posting, I completely missed that! Sorry!
    Anybody else?
    Shirley!

• beth_b_kodiak
    12 years ago

Grace and Shirley, I have been sorta MIA here.
    We have had a couple BIG fires on the ranch and extra workers here trying to get cows moved and Mamas and calves separated into different fields and the holidays and county fair etc , etc.....
    Anyway, Grace, I'm looking forewars to sitting down with the book and relaxing a bit.
    Will regular "night Crawlers" work? We have those here in areas that are irrigated.
    Bethb

• canyonwind
    12 years ago

Mavis,

I received your wonderful book package today...just got home and opened. Thanks so much for the "Recipes For A Miracle" Cookbook. As well, thanks for the seeds, plant labels and plastic seed baggies.

Once again, Shirley and Margo...a super fun swap. Thanks for putting it together!!

Annie

• mavis07
    12 years ago

Hi Annie,

I'm sorry the book took sooooo long. I haven't been able to check in much in the last few days. I hope you do enjoy the cook book as much as I did!

Happy September everyone!

Mavis

• beth_b_kodiak
    12 years ago

Grace, got the book yesterday. I'm about half way through and it sounds like a good idea for us.
    Got to run now will post more later
    beth

• sassybutterfly_2008
    12 years ago

WOW. I received my package today and was it EVER worth the wait!!! Kathie outdid herself!! She sent me a baggie full of seeds incl several on my wish list and daylily seeds. She sent me at least 10 LIVE plants as well! And the book of course! lol I am so excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you SO much Kathie!! You're awesome!!
    ~Wendy / sassyb

• sjc48
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, looks like this swap is officially over!! Everyone has received their books and are, hopefully, reading/using them!
    I want to thank Margo/smitties for co-hosting with me! She was great with this "host newbie"
    Margo-Thanks!
    Also want to thank everyone who participated-hope you had fun, I know I did!
    Hope to see all of you in future swaps!
    Shirley!