hazelnutbunny

UPDATE: 'Make over my Garden!' partners + winners list

hazelnutbunny
15 years ago

Here are our partners for this swap:

Debbya & Frenchfry/Polly

Nikki & Suzi

Erin & Hazelnutbunny/Melissa

Newbies, please make arrangements to send to your partner first, if she prefers! Also, be sure to get in touch with your partner ASAP to exchange mailing addy's. :O)

AND....the winner of the "Guess the seeds" contest is:

POLLY!!!!

She wins with her guess of 765, which was only 9 away from the actual of 756.

AND..the winner of the "Tool & plant" contest is...:

FRAN, LISA & KAT!!!

We had very close votes, with only a point difference, so therefore...we have a 3 WAY TIE!! :O)

Also, anyone that would like to receive some Holly Hock seeds, please email me. I've got PLENTY to share! :O)

Melissa

Comments (52)

• suze62
    15 years ago

Hey partner Nikki:))) looking forward to exchanging with you
    I'll email you later.... Hey Melissa I too would love some of those seed..Thanks,
    Suzi

• Debra Andruska
    15 years ago

Hi Polly,
    Send me your address. My email is Da1763@aol.com

Thanks,
    Deb

• jaleeisa
    15 years ago

OMG!!!!!! It's RAINING! I mean honest to God rain! Not just sprinkling! RAIN! And just what we need right now, a slow, steady rain that's soaking into the ground rather than running off! It's been raining for at least an hour so far and looks like it's gonna continue for a little while! I'm sure we won't get the about 7-9 inches we really need, but by golly it's rain! And not that hard, gully washer rain that runs off and doesn't do my gardens any good. A nice, soaking rain!

Kathy- giddy at the sight of water drops from the sky that are not coming from a hose!

• frenchfrylegs1
    15 years ago

WOOO HOOO I am so happy you got rain ...makes the flowers dance huh...I tell my grand kids that when it is raining, they look and think it really is making them dance.. they watch for hours..LOL
    I am so excited ...this is going to be fun thanks for including me..
    and thanks for the seeds...they are just what I was looking for. they will look great in the cottage garden I am starting.
    Deb I am sending email now of my addy...
    Polly

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Kathy glad u got some rain, we need it too. I sure do wish we would get some....I wouldn't complain if it rained a slow study rain everyday for a week like it used to when I was a kid...If it doesn't rain here soon and a lot we are going to turn into AZ like state here in NC.

We need rain so badly...

Bunny were those the only hollyhocks you had this year?
    :) Fran

• jaleeisa
    15 years ago

It's still raining! It rained all day yesterday! And last night! And it's still raining this morning! Can anyone tell just how excited I am that it's raining? LOL! After two months without any rain, this is a BIG deal! It's been such a struggle to keep my pretties from burning up! And my water bill can attest to it! After the last forecast rain went all the way around us, I'd finally told DH that I was going to just let go dormant what would and hope for the best. Unlike most of the city we live in, we don't have a sprinkler system aside from the one attached to the hose that I move around the yard. And that was becoming a two hour an evening task to be able to water deeply enough for it to do any good. I have had HUGE cracks in my yard from the heat. Last night we went out to look everything over before ti got dark and found that the cracks have healed, the ground was becoming spongy without being soppy. It's been such a slow, steady rain that it's really getting to sink deep rather than running off.

WooHoo! I actually have hope for my gardens again and am now thinking I actually will get to plant a fall crop of veggies! I think I should still have time for everything except for broccoli and the like to produce before our first frost date in November. I'd worried that I wouldn't be able to keep things moist enough to germinate for direct sow, or keep seedlings moist enough for a fall crop.

Kathy

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yay for rain!!! :O)
    That nekkid rain dance worked, huh, Kat?? LOL

If I have your address, I will get your seeds out to you this Friday. So...just in case...if you'd like some seeds, please email your address:
    hazelnutbunny@hotmail.com

Oh...Polly, Fran & Lisa?? I need your addy's too, please..for the prizes. :O)

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm sending out prizes on Friday. So far, I've got Lisa's & Kat's addys...I still need Fran's & Polly's, please!!! :O)

I hope everyone has gotten in touch with their partners? Please let me know if there are any problems there. Also, please post when you send your package out, so we can keep track. :O)

Have a great Wednesday, everyone!!

Melissa

• jaleeisa
    15 years ago

Morning everyone! I just posted a picture of my crate to make into a planter on the MNF: Garden Junk thread if anyone's interested :)

Kathy

• frenchfrylegs1
    15 years ago

Ok Melissa,
    I have sent you my addy...thank you..Sorry for the wait I have been sick with these dang allergies, can't stand to read my eyes and head hurts soo bad.
    Deb your box is in the stages of being filled.
    Polly

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have everyone's address now (Thank you, Ladies!!) and prizes will be in the mail tomorrow morning.
    I've also been in touch with my partner & I am looking forward to getting to know her better! :O) Our boxes should start flying in a week or so.

I can't wait to hear about everyone's boxes! Please remember to post, gals!!

I'll post with another little game in a bit, to keep things going & fun.

Have a great Thursday, everyone! It's almost FRIDAY!! Woooo-Hoooo!!!! :O)

Melissa

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

If I'm sending you seeds: I forgot to mention, but thought everyone should know....I am allergic to hollyhocks! (found out the HARD way!!!) I can't touch them, or I break out in horrible hives. My 4 year old has helped me gather & sort the seeds.
    So, because of that...There may be a bit of chaff in your seeds. Not much, hopefully, but I wanted to give ya'll a heads up. It's really hard for me to pick everything out while I'm wearing gloves, long sleeved shirts & a huge apron. I look like a haz-mat team member! LOL

Thanks for understanding!! :O)

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Oh Bunny, that is funny..Not that you are allergic but you all dress up and no clean up to do...lol.

They make me ich like crazy...and I get little rid hives too. BUT I can touch the seeds, I had over 25 one time and I just cut them down and sort of trushed them on sheets to remove the seeds..oh man I had a pile of seeds, but I also paid for doing it too...
    I was scracthing and burning until I finally just had to go take a bath...but I managed to get them all done in about 2 evenings time. That year everybody that requested seeds got a lunch bag about a quarter way full of mixed seeds...lol. But I managed to gte rid of them all too...

I feel your pain, really...lol.

• frenchfrylegs1
    15 years ago

Oh Bunny I feel your pain I am allergic to tomato plants!! yes I said tomato plants, they make me itch all over and burn. I can eat the tomatoes just not touch the plants..my hands are broke out right now due to I had to ...well not had to, but wanted to go out and check the plants...I got a burn, I call it, on my arm right in the elbow bend...my daughter told me it looks aweful, big welts and believe me it hurts there, makes for bending the elbow a no no!! So you are a great person to be allergic and still grow them. tomatoes I see but a flower that does that not me ..
    Polly

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I get the feeling you're laughing at me, Fran....!!! :O)

I absolutely LOVE hollyhocks, that was why I grew them this year. It's the first time for me.
    I just remember that my great-grandma had the most GORGEOUS hollyhock garden..all different colors & sizes...and as I kid, I was fascinated by them. I was never allowed to go near them, though...and could never remember WHY...until now!! LOL I used to think she was simply one of those over-protective gardeners - thinking I'd tromple her flowers if I got too close, maybe. But now, I suppose she was only trying to keep me from pain!! :O) Funny how perspective works, huh??

Tomatoes, Polly?? Oh, I couldn't stand that!! I love to bruise the leaves & smell them!! Hubby loves it when I go out to the garden & come back smelling like maters!! I think if they had a tomato perfume, he'd be buying it for me.. LOL

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Wow oh wow, can u believe we got rain Tuesday night/Wednesday morning, yesterday, and now it looks as if it might just storm again? I can't blieve it...I need rain barrels and lots of them!!!

YAHHHH,,, rain!

• nikkineel
    15 years ago

I get all itchy around squash plants. I love to visit my mom's garden but I always come out with red arms. So happy to hear that yall are getting rain - we need it here badly. I haven't done any rain dances lately but I certainly know the "TGIF dance". I am so happy to have the weekend. I hope to be able to get in the garden and weed tomorrow.
    Suzi, I hope to get some things together for your box. It may be the beginning of the next week before I have everything ready to ship - hope that's ok.
    I hope everyone has a great weekend! Nikki

• jaleeisa
    15 years ago

Oh.. we got some exciting news earlier this week.. my brother in law and sister in law who is adopting the two little boys.. well, I hate to say I told them so.. but... hehehe.. Farah is 8 weeks pregnant!

YAY!

Kathy

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yay!!
    Kathy, that's great news!! Hooray for babies!! :O)
    Now their family will be more blessed than they had anticipated!

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

KATHY WOOHOO!!! CONGRATS!!
    AND A BIG HUG!
    I bet you are thrilled!!

Speaking of Babies! How are you and the little one doing Bunny?

I just thought I would pop in and say "HI"
    Now you girls have me all itchy!

My Hibiscus are blooming so well! I'm so excited!

Well, off to check on the others! LOL

Vic

• Debra Andruska
    15 years ago

Polly,
    I'm running behind. I had everything planned (for your box) and my Son's turtle started to act different. Not eat as much, more lethargic. I took him in for a wellness check, picky eater problem. The vet pulled out his leg hard and we heard a crunch/pop. The leg wouldn't go back in the shell. I asked the vet what the noise was, it sounded like something broke, he said it was the turtle's nails against the shell. Nothing to worry about. I asked why he couldn't put his leg back in the shell, he said the muscle was sore from him giving it the exam. I've never been to a reptile vet before, so I assumed he knew what he was doing. The next day I took the turtle outside, like I normally do each morning and he couldn't walk well. His little leg dragged. So we went back to the vet's, I asked for a different vet, they did xrays and sure enough the little leg is broken. Now he has to go for weekly xrays to make sure it's healing properly. They put the leg back in the socket and taped it. Hopefully, it heals well. The kids go back to school this week. So I will have lots of extra time to work on your box.

I'll post when it goes out.

Deb

• jaleeisa
    15 years ago

OMG! He broke it and then denied it!? How very sad and unprofessional of him! Is the vet's office doing something about him (the vet)? And I do hope you're not having to pay for any of these extra visits, xrays and exams since he was the one to cause the injury! Personally I would say that someone who would be so callus should NOT be a vet! And I know that I would not want to take my beloved pets to him, nor, if I owned the business, would I want him working there and ruining my business! I would have said that he should have admitted that such a loud pop wasn't normal (nails scrabbling against the inside of the shell is, but not any popping noises!) when bringing the leg from the shell for an exam (which is really about the only way to examine a turtle)and should have xrayed it immediately! Poor little creature was in pain all that time and you couldn't do anything about it because the vet deceived you!

It never ceases to amaze me how unfeeling some people can be! To leave a little boy's companion in pain like that.. and just because he doesn't want to admit he caused it injury! It's a little creature, and one that can't even whimper to let you know he's hurting! I hate it when unscrupulous people prey on our lack of knowledge in certain areas. Especially when someone, or thing, is involved that can't vocalize the truth to us. They really seem to think they can just get away with it.

Poor little guy! He sounds like a very well loved companion, not many people will take a turtle to a vet, reserving that kind of treatment for "real" pets. I am pleased to know that you care so well for him and do not see him as a lesser pet/companion. I will keep him in my prayers for a speedy recovery.

And I'm not sure if they told you,or if you found info from a careguide but I seem to remember my son's turtle when he was young would become a more picky eater when the weather cooled. Depending on his species, he may hibernate or brumate in the winter. During both brumation and hibernation they become more finicky eaters. Cooler weather brings on both, so if your temps have cooled, he may be moving towards a state of hibernation or brumation.
    Kathy

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Oh Bunny, I got my prize today...I LOVE IT, I have been looking for little things like this for a long time and just don't seem to find anything I like...this one is so cute...

THANK YOU!!!

• frenchfrylegs1
    15 years ago

Bunny ...
    I got my prize today...yes I love my bouquet they are lovely!! Thank you so much!!
    Deb...
    my daughter has a turtle too she has never had those kind of things happen. I am sorry it happened and lets hope it gets better.
    I am sending your box out tomorrow, I hope. I will confirm when I send I hope it is ok I am worried...not wanting to send too little.
    Polly

• jaleeisa
    15 years ago

Melissa, my prize arrived this afternoon! Thanks so much, hon! Those little suncatchers will look lovely handing from the edges of my gazebo! I would have hung them this afternoon, but it's been raining all day!*HUGS* Thanks again! I can't wait to see them shimmering in the sunlight from the window!

Gotta run, Cliff's first night of class was tonight, I have a real job interview at 10 am tomorrow and the kids start school on Wednesday, so it's a busy week here!

Kat

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    15 years ago

Bunny,
    I got my prize yesterday, I need it! I saw my first slug in a store bought plant. Thank you for the prize and the seeds.

Lisa

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Glad that everyone is getting their prizes!! :O)

I have been super busy this past weekend. I've been making & canning preserves & jam - blueberry, cinnamon grape, apple cinnamon, lemon apple, plain grape - and today I've made loaves of banana nut bread & chocolate chip banana nut bread. Whew, I'm bushed. But it's worth it. We won't have to buy jam again for about a year! LOL

Yay for harvest time!!

• frenchfrylegs1
    15 years ago

Deb, your box went out today!! I hope I did a good job never sent one like this before.

bunny,
    I am also jam making. I have just started made plum jam,raspberry current,strawberry and current...oh my they are all good!! Also made a couple of batches of spaghetti sauce and canned tomatoes, not going to run out, my tomatoes have not even begun to ripen so there will be plenty to more make.

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Wow bunny, wish I could do all that...I am not a jelly maker OR a canner...OR a BAKER...gosh girl...how do u do it all?

I envy you...lol

Wow u too ffl...I wouldn't even know how to start, my mom and grandmother did it all the time, I am too afraid to attempt it...they always said it was so hard to do...

I wouldn't want to blow up my kitchen...ewww sticky jam everywhere... I would do it too!

snickering at the thought,

• jaleeisa
    15 years ago

Well, it appears I will be working at WalMart. I went and took my drug test this afternoon after the second interview (first one was this morning). I will be a cashier... in the GARDEN center! YAY! If I have to work at WalMart, there's not a better department for me! So, now I'm waiting for them to get the results of my drug test and call me for orientation. I need to go pick up some khaki pants and a dark blue shirt.

Kat

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

WTG Kathy....YEAH...(throws hands up in the air)
    whoop whoop...Kathy got a job...Kathy got a job

Congrats...great dept to be in too!..lucky ducky!!!

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Just checking in with everyone!
    Thanks for letting us know you've mailed your package, Polly! Has anyone else mailed out yet?

I've been in touch with Erin, and we will be exchanging packages soon. I'm going to wait a bit longer to send out to her, because I'll be sending plants & need to wait a bit until it's good weather to do so. Just wanted to let everyone know! :O)

Debbya & Frenchfry/Polly ~Polly sent 8-19
    Nikki & Suzi
    Erin & Hazelnutbunny/Melissa

• frenchfrylegs1
    15 years ago

Fran, ...you would not blow up the kitchen I haven't blown mine up yet...LOL and we just put in a gas stove this morning, cuz no one told me that you are not suppose to can on an electric stove, Geez!! could have told me that 3 burners ago!! I have replace 3 and not a sole told me, LOL..
    Kat, ...good going on the job,Have fun and enjoy all the stuff you get to see before us. I am not allowed to work at walmart...never be able to afford it, I would be calling home for more money everyday!!

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

KATHY - CONGRATS!!!!! WHOO HOO! I HOPE YOU LIKE IT!!
    And just think, you get a discount now!!

Polly, why aren't you supposed to can on an electric stove? I've never heard that and am planning on doing some canning this year. I thought my hardest part would be because of the high altitude.

Vic

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Polly, my mother and grandmother used electric all their lives to can EVERYTHING...never burner burn out. My mom still does when she cans now, IF she cans something, she doesn't do it as much now. She is 71 so she don't have a garden like she used to, so nothing to can.

I use a pressure cooker for cooking but I am afriad to attempt canning with it.
    I would like to can, but this year whatever we might get left over from the garden will go in the freezer.

ANYWAY, what is everyone getting? I wanna see. Anyone received anything yet?

• frenchfrylegs1
    15 years ago

Well I have had nothing but trouble canning with this stove and was told it was because of the lack of air flow around burners...??? So I put in a gas stove to cure the problem...the guys at an appliance store told me ..no I did not buy the gas stove from them. They would have told me anything to sell one...LOL
    I use a pressure canner it is scarey till the end result comes out then it is worth it!!
    Just did green beans 12 quarts...yummy!

• Debra Andruska
    15 years ago

I mailed out my package for Polly today. The USPS #0308 0730 0001 2991 3376. I'm behind in reading the thread, so I can't comment on anything. I hope everyone's ok. ;)

Polly's package arrived today too! Thank you so much Polly for such a nice box!
    Polly sent~
    ceramic square green pot (I love the color, it's a soft muted green), 2 plastic water well pots, cute windchime (bright green, red), 2 packages of seed (Thunbergia, "Big Blush" sunflower), pruners (I needed these so bad!) and a decorative garden rock, wall calender! I love everything you sent!

Thanks so much! I hope I didn't forget anything! ;) It's late and I'm so tired!

Deb

• frenchfrylegs1
    15 years ago

Deb,
    I am so glad you liked the stuff I sent I was so worried, never did that before. And I had no nice plants to send you, the day after I sent it I found some really nice ones....geez ..LOL
    Enjoy and I will await mine...I forgot to put tracking number on yours sorry..but you got it that is the good part.
    Polly

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Great box, Deb & Polly! Wonderful stuff & I'm glad ya'lls trade is going well.
    Have the other partners been in touch &/or sent out yet? Please let us know! :O)

Debbya & Frenchfry/Polly ~Deb rec'd 8-22, Deb sent 8-22
    Nikki & Suzi
    Erin & Hazelnutbunny/Melissacolor>

• nikkineel
    15 years ago

Hey! Suzi and I have been in touch but have not sent boxes. I hope to have hers out by Monday or Tuesday of next week. Nothing like waiting till the last minute:) I have a crazy week and haven't had time to stop by... Great box Deb and Polly!
    I have a pressure cooker story. My mom's first experience with a pressure cooker when I was 9 or so, nobody told her that she couldn't remove the lid until it cooled. She lifted the lid and boiling water went all over my little stomach - OUCH! I remember putting aloe vera juice on it for a couple of days and voila! Not even a scar.
    Melissa, your kitchen sounds like so much fun! I can't even cook a bowl of cereal:(
    Congrats on the job Kat! I'm sure you will find lots of deals and meet fun people with great garden stories. Everyone have a great weekend. Looks like we'll be getting some wind and rain from the storms in Fla.
    Nikki

• suze62
    15 years ago

Hey Nikki getting your box fixed up :~) Hope to get it out by Tuesday. I'll post here with com #.

Miss Bunny got my seed today thank you so much.
    Well hubs is going 4 wheeling think I'll tag along.
    Have a great evening.
    Suzi

• frenchfrylegs1
    15 years ago

Deb,
    I received your box. I am sorry I work the weekends and have not had a chance to let you know that I love everything you sent thank you.
    I got a sunflower wall plaque, a windsock, some jiffy pots- which I needed, some nice plants to include a daylily, a cactus for the outdoors, a dahlia, some sedum, an iris they all very nice I am very happy, got the kids helping me plant now!! LOL. This was soo much fun and I am ready fopr another!!!

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Debbya & Frenchfry/Polly ~Deb rec'd 8-22, Polly rec'd 8-25
    Nikki & Suzi

Thanks for letting us know, Polly! :O) Sounds like a great box!

I hope everyone had a good weekend! Other than a mild case of food poisoning, I suppose mine was alright. :O) Leave it to me....the ONE time I get to go out to eat with hubby...WITHOUT kids....I get food poisoning. UGH.
    LOL

• suze62
    15 years ago

Nikki,

Com # 0306 2400 0000 6680 0225
    Hope you enjoy your goodies :~)

Miss Bunny hope you are doing better..
    Have a great evening all.

• nikkineel
    15 years ago

Suzi, I sent your box today. I misplaced the little slips with the confirmation numbers (I sent yours and Joan's for another swap). I'll post the confirmation number as soon as I have it. I hope you like everything! Nikki

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much for letting us know, girls! :O) Be sure to post when ya'll receive...we're nosey, and like to know what everyone is sharing with eachother! LOL

I'm feeling much better, Suzi..Thanks for asking! I will not eat at THAT resturant again for awhile...nor will I eat steak. *shudder* I'm gonna stick to veggies for awhile. Just pour A-1 over brocoli or something! :O)

Nikki & Suzi ~Both sent 8-26

• nikkineel
    15 years ago

Woo Hoo! I got my box from Suzi today! She sent:
    Watering can (I needed one. Mine seems to have disappeared - probably behind some plant)
    A cool linen calendar (2009)
    A decorative turtle (so cute)
    Hand rake
    Gloves (always love a new pair)
    A personal "N" note pad
    A hanging butterfly whose legs are like little bells that make a sweet twinkling sound when they bounce)
    A twirly thingy
    An iron girl with a welcome sign (all my colors:)
    A tulip bookmark
    A sweet card with a seed from her garden
    Gardening hand shears
    and elephant ear bulbs

I had the best time going through everything. One more thing - a GRIT magazine all about gardening. I haven't seen one before and I can't wait to read it!
    THANK YOU for everything - I love it! I will post a positive on your rate and review later tonight. Nik

• suze62
    15 years ago

Hey Nik,

Got my box 2-day Love everything!!
    I'll let ev1 know 2morrow what I got.
    Have a great night :~)
    Suzi

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

What a great box, Suzi & Nikki! :O)

Erin & I will keep in touch & mail our packages out later.
    Thanks to everyone for making this a fun swap. I hope ya'll have enjoyed it!

Nikki & Suzi ~Both rec'd 8-28
    Erin & Hazelnutbunny/Melissa ~in touch, will send latercolor>

Melissa

• suze62
    15 years ago

Nikki rocks on the gift box :~)

She sent me the nicest Cedar bird feeder(I love cedar)
    A pretty hart necklace that my daughter grabbed first thing :)
    Nice plant markers.
    Crocosmia and Freesia bulbs,Astilbe,Hollyhocks(my fav)
    Turnip,Cosmos,Cilantro,Dill,Moonflower,Shasta Daisy & Nasturtium seed. Plus a cute lil gnome..
    WOW Nikki you truly out done your self...
    I thank you very much,
    Suzi