Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poisondartfrog

MNF September 'Won't You Be My Neighbor'

poisondartfrog
12 years ago

September is a wonderful month! The weather is cooler and the mad scramble to get everything to ground and then to weed and feed and maintain is winding down.

It is a good time to assess the season�s successes and failures, plan next year�s plantings and enjoy the harvest. Most cultures and many religions celebrate this time of year for the harvest and mark the Autumnal Equinox as the beginning of fall. Neighbors find lot's of reasons to get together for food and fun, even if we don't chip in to help with the harvest much anymore.

September 28 is Good Neighbor Day, and that is the theme of September's Swap. Sign ups will run through September 2.

Send your box Priority Mail with DC confirmation by September 15. Depending on what you choose to send from the 3 required elements the size of the box will vary. You will send your neighbor the following items:

1. Divisions/bulbs/tubers of two plants that you are growing. Neighbors share plants across the fence and we will be doing that with our online neighbors. September is prime time for digging Daylilies, Monarda, and lots of other perennials. An alternative would be to buy some bulbs for fall planting and divide them between you and your neighbor. That way you will both have the same plant blooming in your garden next year. As long as you send your neighbor 2 different plants/bulb types that you grow or will be growing with them, you will meet this requirement. (For bulbs, please send a group of bulbs. Unless it is a Giant Allium or Frittilaria, 1 bulb is not enough. Imagine one sad little tulip on a cold March day. For tulips and daffs, etc, please send 4 -5 of each type to equal 1 plant.)

2. Some product from your garden this year. This could be seeds gathered from a favorite plant, an ornamental gourd or dried flowers from your plantings, a preserved fruit or vegetable product from your garden, or something decorative or useful made from your garden�s bounty.

3. The recipe for whatever you would bring to our potluck if we had a harvest celebration together and everyone was asked to bring their favorite fall dish.

To play you must be a GW member in good standing and be over 18 years old.

Don't mention what you will be sending on the thread, but email me a nickname for your box that reflects the contents without giving everything away. These boxes should be relatively small so it should not be difficult to come up with a descriptive one or two word name. Play it straight or be coy. Once everyone has sent me the nickname for their box, the participants will select the box they will receive from the nickname without knowing who their secret neighbor is. The order of selection will be established by a game we will play at the end of sign ups. Please send me your GW name and real name and address before September 2.

In the meantime, I will post a game for a prize when sign ups reach 8 participants. I hope a lot of you will play.

Happy...

Comments (81)

• gardencraze
    12 years ago

Hey Alana don't forget me!!!! (running behind everybody)

I'll read the post later, Will send name later.
    Off to work!!!

Hpe I'm not too late

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Nope. Not too late at all. We will take sign ups until 9/2.

• flowergirl34
    12 years ago

Answers:

1. The Munsters
    2. The Simpsons
    3. The Adams Family
    4. The Beverly Hillbillies (Clampetts)
    5. The Huxtables
    6. The Brady's
    7. The Flinstones
    8. The Ricardos
    9. The Cleavers

1. The Jetsons

:) Are these right?

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Vina, you are good!
    Let me know which prize you would like.

Vina/flowergirl34
    Shirley/sjc48
    Rosemary/rosemctier
    Dan/dan_the_mailman
    Melissa/hazelnutbunny
    Margo/smitties
    Shirley/brittneysgran
    Robin/Robin1962-2008
    Wendy/Sassybutterfly_2008
    Faye/nottougly
    Beth/beth_b_kodiak
    Carmen/gardencraze
    Alana/poisondartfrog

That's 13 players. I will post another game at 15 players.

• hdiperna
    12 years ago

Hi Alana
    I would like to play this month. I have been busy with work and family, but this swap seems simple enough. I am still thinking about a theme!
    Heidi

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Welcome Heidi. It is nice to hear from you again!
    I hope everyone is having a relaxing day. Carmen is working, so she is probably not.
    I truly am going to my neighbors a bit later. We are going to make enchiladas today and I am going to make salsa with a bunch of these ripe tomatoes from my vegetable patch using a recipe I got from another garden site.
    Just one more player and I will have to think up another game, lol.
    Have a great afternoon,
    Alana

• hazelnutbunny
    12 years ago

Dan, that sounds FABULOUS! Mind if I head over for dinner?? :) Having someone cook for me would be a wonderful change....a treat I don't get too often!

I may have to borrow that padded room, too. This past week has been a doozey....and it's not over. Still have sick kiddos, and hubby's leaving tomorrow on another business trip. *sigh* Toss that in with the broken down cars (yes, plural! why do these things always happen in groups??), regular homeschooling stuff, all the dr's appointments this week, and life in general.....
    Yes, that padded room is sounding *really* nice right now.

ON the bright side. It's supposed to be a tiny bit cooler this week, so maybe I can get outside to do some desperately needed yard work. Playing in the dirt is always a good cure! :)

• dan_the_mailman
    12 years ago

Mel, I'll let you know when I'm done with the padded room, and I'll even throw a wheelbarrow full of dirt and seeds in there for your too!
    I've never made gizpacho before, but it's now chilling in the refrigerator awaiting the rest of dinner. I used lime juice instead of the sherry vinegar, added some leftover bacon strips from breakfast this morning, and topped it off with some fresh parmesan. I am sooo proud of myself! It's an easy recipe, and all you do is throw stuff in a food processor and let it puree itself. It tastes just like summer though, and I do believe I'll be experimenting with various ingredients to see how far I can take it. I feel like a whole new area of cooking has opened up for me, and it's started on a great note! My roomie is also a chef, and it's got his approval too, which makes it all that much better!
    Today is a good day!
    Dan

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Just a reminder to send me your address and box name by 9/2. Sign ups are still open and there is still plenty of time.
    I have information from Melissa, Wendy, our two Shirley's, and Dan so far.

Vina/flowergirl34
    Shirley/sjc48
    Rosemary/rosemctier
    Dan/dan_the_mailman
    Melissa/hazelnutbunny
    Margo/smitties
    Shirley/brittneysgran
    Robin/Robin1962-2008
    Faye/nottougly
    Beth/beth_b_kodiak
    Carmen/gardencraze
    Heidi/hdiperna
    Alana/poisondartfrog

• roper2008
    12 years ago

Alana, I would like to join too. I have never sent anything but
    seeds through the mail. I would probably send divisions, so if
    there is anything special I need to know, please tell me.

BTW- The morning glories that you offered for sase are beautiful.
    I posted pictures at the other forum.

• beth_b_kodiak
    12 years ago

Hi all ,friends and neighbors.
    I had an interesting experience today.
    I went to the Dr's and discovered that I had torn a muscle which is swollen and pressing on my siatic nerve.
    Now , if that sounds painful, it is. But here's the interesting thing. Just knowing what it is makes it feel better.
    Not looking for sympathy here but wanted to share the experience and my surprise at the reduction in discomfort level just from knowing.
    I had been having visions of hip replacement surgery and that was sorta freaking me out. Funny some of the things your mind can do to your body.
    All in all a good day here
    Alana, i'm emailing you the info.
    BB

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Welcome Linda! I will look for those pictures in a bit.
    That puts us at 15 and another game. I am working and won't be home until tomorrow afternoon, so I will post a game then.
    Beth, now that you know how to address the problem I hope you get relief.
    Have a good evening everyone!
    Alana

• sred98
    12 years ago

I'd like to join this one, if I can. It sounds like a lot of fun! Now to figure out a theme...

Shelly

• flowergirl34
    12 years ago

Woohoo! I'll take the Petunia: Ultra Rose PLEASE!!

I'm thinking of a theme....I'm thinking of a theme...got it! Sending an email :)

Talk to you soon!
    vina

• smitties
    12 years ago

Good afternoon all. I am just checking in to let you know I am still thinking of a theme for this swap. I need to walk the garden to decide what to share and then think of an appropriate theme. I am having a garage sale this weekend coming up and I can't believe the amount of stuff that has accumulated between myself and my kids. I love it. They give me the stuff and I do all the work then hand them their money. I am thinking of taking a percentage for my labor. :)

Alana,will definitely get back to you before the deadline. Thanks Margo

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Welcome Shelly!
    Linda, I can't find the pictures. Maybe I am looking in the wrong place?
    Vina, I will get your Petunia seeds out to you in a couple of days.

We are over 15 players; time for another game. The first player to respond with the name of the person these neighborly quotes are attributed to wins. The prize this time is the winner's choice of
    1. Petunia, Dreams Red 30 pelleted seeds
    2. Petunia, Primetime Pink Morn 30 pelleted seeds
    3. Petunia, Primetime Blue 30 pelleted seeds
    (Have you guys picked up on the fact that I am planning a big Petunia year for 2012?)

Who said:
    1. Love thy neighbor- and if he happens to be tall, debonair and devastating, it will be that much easier.

2. Your first job is to prepare the soil. The best tool for this is your neighbor's motorized garden tiller. If your neighbor does not own a garden tiller, suggest that he buy one.

3. Borrow trouble for yourself, if that's your nature, but don't lend it to your neighbours.

4. I want you to be concerned about your next door neighbor. Do you know your next door neighbor?

5. Love your neighbor as yourself; but don't take down the fence.

6. Do not waste time bothering whether you love your neighbor act as if you did. As soon as we do this we find one of the great secrets. When you are behaving as if you loved someone, you will presently come to love him.

Vina/flowergirl34
    Shirley/sjc48
    Rosemary/rosemctier
    Dan/dan_the_mailman
    Melissa/hazelnutbunny
    Margo/smitties
    Shirley/brittneysgran
    Robin/Robin1962-2008
    Faye/nottougly
    Beth/beth_b_kodiak
    Carmen/gardencraze
    Heidi/hdiperna
    Linda/roper2008
    Shelly/sred98
    Alana/poisondartfrog

• sred98
    12 years ago

1. Mae West! Love her!

2. Dave Barry

3. Rudyard Kipling

4. Mother Teresa

5. Carl Sandberg. Ben Franklin said almost the exact same thing but it
    was don't tear down the hedges! Lol!

6. C. S. Lewis

Fun quotes!

Shelly

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Go Shelly! Go Shelly! Good job.
    Let me know your choice of prize.

IF we make it to 20 players I will post another game. We are at 16 now and you all are so good at this that I am having to work pretty hard to come up with games, lol.

Tired-I'll check in tomorrow. G'night.
    Alana

• sred98
    12 years ago

Woohoo! I can't believe I won! I think I'll take pink morn!

Thanks so much!

Shelly

• hazelnutbunny
    12 years ago

WTG Shelly! :)

Love C.S. Lewis, and that quote is a great one!

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Shelly, I will mail your seeds in a few days.
    We still have plenty of time for additional signups, but if we don't reach 20 by the weekend I will post another game.
    Have a good evening,
    Alana

• gardencraze
    12 years ago

Wow!! look at all these winners, I haven't even had time to read the post.
    Note to self, must make time for fun LOL

• hazelnutbunny
    12 years ago

Alana~ I received the daylily today! It looks great, thank you so much! :D

• roper2008
    12 years ago

Alana I posted the pics on the cottage garden forum.

Hurricane Irene is heading my way, so far mandatory
    evacuation in low lying area's. I will most likely stay
    here, but will probably loose power. The last hurricane
    we had here in virginia beach I lost power 6 days.

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Bunny, I am glad it got there okay. Seed winners, I have not mailed your seeds yet but I will get them in the mail on Monday.

Oh no, Linda! I hope you and your gardens come through without damage. Your MG's are beautiful. I just had a look. I had been looking for them on the Vines Forum.

I am working on a new game for tomorrow-not sure what time I will post it. It looks like Allie will get a little sister this weekend and things may get a little crazy.

Have a good weekend. East coasters check in and let us know that you are okay, if you can.
    Alana

• dan_the_mailman
    12 years ago

Hello Everyone! It's good to see so many people signing up and having fun! So Alana, what made you decide on a petunia garden next year? I've never been much for them, but this year I bought some to put around my new strawberry bed, and they've grown so great I've decided to put in more next year. I guess our "taste buds" really do change as we get older, eh? LOL!
    Last Sunday I got out into my yard to do some mowing with the weedwhacker (the mower gave itself a time-out), and discovered baby yuccas growing in the front yard! The park management leveled the front yard for me a while back, and I thought these plants were baby daylilies. I'd had a bunch of dl's there, but hadn't had any yucca plants for almost 2 summers. Well, low and behold, I've now got a fine crop of them! I love surprises like that! Just when I'm wanting to simplify the yard down to just a few types of plants too...lol!
    Well, time to go catch up on the rest of the swaps I'm involved in! Catch you all later!
    Dan

• hazelnutbunny
    12 years ago

I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to drop out of this swap. :(

Melissa

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Why the Petunias? A phase I think; I only grew two varieties this year and the hummingbirds loved them.
    So sorry, Bunny! I hope you can stick around for the games.
    Speaking of games, try this one.

Give the song titles that include these lyrics:

1. May your 40 acres soon be fields of clover.
    Yes, indeed, and plant a wish
    With every seeden by and by
    The sun and rain will make an etching
    Of a million little green fingers
    Stretching to the sky

2. Howdy neighbor howdy get out and come right in
    We'll make a bowl of gravy to sop your biscuits in
    Boil a pot of coffee and bake a big fat hen
    Cook another country ham to feed a hundred men

3. It's a neighborly day in this beautywood,
    A neighborly day for a beauty,
    Would you be mine?
    Could you be mine?

4. Screaming young babies
    No piece and no quiet
    I got T.V.'s, saxophone playing
    Groaning and straining
    With the trouble and strife

5.Come on and shake my hand and let a grin do the rest
    It makes you feel so grand to get your chin off your chest
    I�m shouting; "Hi Neighbor! My Neighbor!
    Time to play and say "Hi!"

6. Now I was walking down a dusty road
    when along came a neighbor of mine.
    He saw me walkin' with my head hung down,
    he just had to stop and pass the time.
    Neighbor, neighbor, floatin' in the salty brine.
    floatin' in the salty brine

The first correct respondent will choose one of these:
    1. Petunia, Ultra Rose 30 pelleted seeds
    2. Sweet Alyssum, Allure Bronze 30 seeds
    3. Petunia, Primetime Blue 30 pelleted seeds

• dan_the_mailman
    12 years ago

1 = Happy Harvest by Judy Garland
    2 = Howdy Neighbor by Porter Wagoner or Norma Jean
    3 = Won't You Be My Neighbor by Mr. Rogers
    4 = Neighbors by The Rolling Stones
    5 = Hi Neighbor! by Orrin Tucker
    6 = Nieghbor, Neighbor by Jimmy Hughes, remade by ZZ Top

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Good Dan. I knew the ZZ Top version-afraid I don't know Jimmy Hughes. Let me know which prize you want.
    A few more days to sign up and then we will play a game to determine choosing order.
    If you have not sent your theme and/or address please get those to me by the 2nd so we don't have to wait to post the selections.
    Have a good evening,
    Alana

• dan_the_mailman
    12 years ago

I did it? Cool! Thanks Alana, it was fun looking all those up and finding out who did them! Hmmm, which seeds do I want to try? I think I'd like the primetime blue petunias, they look nice in the pics I can find online, and I'll bet they'd go great around my strawberry patch...lol! I'm glad I joined this swap. It's been just the distraction I needed! Kudos to you Alana!
    Dan

• smitties
    12 years ago

Alana, garage sale is over and I think I can breathe again. I just sent my information.

Beautiful day here. Turned off our air conditioners. Seems so weird to be enjoying this weather while others are in the midst of destructive weather. My thoughts and prayers are with those in the east.

Margo

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Margo.
    I have the envelopes for the game winners in the mail this morning. Tomorrow I will post the list of folks who have provided their information.
    Have a great day,
    Alana

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Howdy neighbors!
    I don't have the information for the folks listed below. If you sent your information and your name is on this list your email may be out there in the ether somewhere and you need to resend, or I may have lost it and I apologize, but you still need to resend. Please get this information to me by the 2nd.

I need address and theme from:
    Rosemary/rosemctier
    robin/robin1962-2008
    Carmen/gardencraze

I need theme only from:
    Faye/nottougly
    Shelly/sred98

Thanks!
    Alana

• dan_the_mailman
    12 years ago

Alana, will we be playing a game Saturday to decide the choosing order?
    I've been sitting out on my porch surveying my "kingdom" trying to decide what I'm sending, and it's been a lot of fun! There's a lot out there that needs to be divided!

BTW, is it the 2nd yet??? Why is it that the last few days before getting partners are always the longest?

-Dan

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, it will be a simple guessing game that I will post as soon as I have all of the themes. If everyone has their info to me, I may post it Friday afternoon and allow until noon Saturday for everyone to guess, then post the order and choices Saturday evening. In a perfect world...

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    12 years ago

we're getting closer.

I need address and theme from:
    Rosemary/rosemctier
    Carmen/gardencraze

I need theme only from:
    Faye/nottougly
    Shelly/sred98

• kellyk49
    12 years ago

I would love to play. Please count me in!!

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Welcome to MNF's (make new friends) Kelly! And thank you for sending your information so quickly.
    Stay tuned....
    Alana

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My bad. I left Linda off. I need her info too.

Vina/flowergirl34
    Shirley/sjc48
    Rosemary/rosemctier need address and box name
    Dan/dan_the_mailman
    Margo/smitties
    Shirley/brittneysgran
    Robin/Robin1962-2008
    Faye/nottougly need box name
    Beth/beth_b_kodiak
    Carmen/gardencraze need address and box name
    Heidi/hdiperna
    Linda/roper2008 need address and box name
    Shelly/sred98 need box name
    Kelly/kellyk49
    Alana/poisondartfrog

• dan_the_mailman
    12 years ago

Alana, I received the petunia seeds today...THANK YOU!!!

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Glad they arrived, Dan. I had fun with the games.
    Vina/flowergirl34
    Shirley/sjc48
    Rose/rosemctier
    Dan/dan_the_mailman
    Margo/smitties
    Shirley/brittneysgran
    Robin/Robin1962-2008
    Beth/beth_b_kodiak
    Carmen/gardencraze need address and box name
    Heidi/hdiperna
    Linda/roper2008 need address and box name
    Kelly/kellyk49
    Alana/poisondartfrog

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Good morning! Today is the deadline. Linda had to drop out and I received Camen's information so I only need box names for two participants. I sent them a reminder email. If I don't hear from them by 7:00pm EST, they will have to skip the guessing name and will be placed last and 2nd to last in the picking order based on when they joined the swap, so I hope they remember in time.
    It's more fun when everyone plays!
    A short time after 7:00 pm I will post a guessing game and everyone will have until 1:00 pm tomorrow to post their answer. You can guess anytime between those times. I will explain when I post the game how the winner(s) will be determined. Anyone who does not guess will be placed at the end based on the order they signed up for the swap in.
    If you have any questions, shoot me an email. I am at home today and will check back often.
    Have a good one!
    ALana

Vina/flowergirl34
    Shirley/sjc48
    Rose/rosemctier
    Dan/dan_the_mailman
    Margo/smitties
    Shirley/brittneysgran
    Robin/Robin1962-2008
    Beth/beth_b_kodiak
    Carmen/gardencraze
    Heidi/hdiperna
    Kelly/kellyk49
    Alana/poisondartfrog

• sred98
    12 years ago

I don't know why, but I am having the hardest time coming up with a box name! I know I shouldn't be having this much trouble, but I am! Let me keep thinking, and I'll have something by this afternoon.

Sorry!

Shelly

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That's fine, Shelly. I hope Faye sees her email in time, too.
    Heidi, I sent you an email. Let me know if you did not receive.

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    12 years ago

No word from Faye. I am sure she wanted to participate so I am going to leave it open for her until 1 tomorrow but we will proceed with the game. She can get her info to me and guess anytime before 1 tomorrow.
    I am going to post the game on a new thread in a minute.

• dan_the_mailman
    12 years ago

it's going on 8pm, where's the new thread and game??? lol!!!
    yep! getting anxious here in Michigan! anyone else feeling the same way?

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry d t m. I had an unexpected visitor. It's up now.

• sassybutterfly_2008
    12 years ago

don't go all postal on us Dan! :P

• dan_the_mailman
    12 years ago

lol...not postal, I was just excited. it's how I get whenever we're going to get partners.
    go ahead. say it.
    A.D.D.I.C.T.I.O.N