Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vela75

Picture Happy Part 2

vela75
16 years ago

Ok Poison, I had some pictures to post and saw where you had said the old one was getting hard to load, so I went ahead and started a new one. :-)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v350/vkupfner/100_1376.jpg

Comments (32)

• poisondartfrog
    16 years ago

My bad! I started to post and came back later to hit submit. That's okay, we will have lot's of room. I love the Coreopsis Moonbeam! The color is so much nicer than the gold ones. And the last picture is beautiful-looks like a garden magazine. Very pretty!

• vela75
    Original Author
    16 years ago

And here is a little arrangement I made today.

• vela75
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh! I'll have to go look at your picture thread now! That coreopsis is actually Creme Brulee Coreopsis. I just love ALL coreopsis, I think they are so pretty and they just bloom and bloom and bloom.

I would love to have a privacy fence around my property so I could just plant gardens around the whole parameter. I'm not sure what I'm going to do next year. I really want to plant more gardens, but I don't know where to plant them.

• poisondartfrog
    16 years ago

Creme Brulee, sounds yummy. I will have to check that one out. It looks very much like moonbeam. Your rudbeckia's are great too, so many variations and so reliable. You have some very pretty ones.

• vela75
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks! Those are "Gloriosa Daisies". I grew them from seed and really like them!

• chrystallake_2007
    16 years ago

Vela
    Beautiful pictures, and so colorful. Here is a pic of my Devil's Claw..finally blooming. I recieved this in a trade.

{{gwi:1295033}}

• diene
    16 years ago

Hello Vela;
    I want some seeds from those Morning Glories!! Here are my latest pictures
    Bob hugging the tiger lilies (big stains in T shirt)

new lily

all fancy lilies together

fancy lily 1

fancy lily 2

fancy lily 3

fancy lily 4

fancy lily 5

yellow daylily

new lily 2

new lily 3
    {{gwi:1295045}}
    Just for your information, I paid almost five dollars a bulb for the fancy ones two years ago, I have the names somewhere.
    While the ones labeled "new lilies" came out of a bag of lily bulbs that cost $3.99. I feel a little silly admitting that but I am trying to make sure you guys learn from my mistakes. diene

• hazelnutbunny
    16 years ago

Diene- Your "fancy lily 3" and "new lily 3" are simply GORGEOUS!!! I love them!! If you figure out what they're named (or IF they are), please let me know! I would love to find some! Do you know if they make seed/bulbils??
    Melissa

• diene
    16 years ago

Hello Melissa;
    Neither of these lilies make bulbils and it is too early to tell about seeds. Also the seeds might not be true to the adult plant. The "fancy lily" has a name and I have it written down somewhere. The new lily probably has a name but it was never given to me.
    I will let you know about the seeds and the name.
    diene

• poisondartfrog
    16 years ago

I am having trouble deciding if Asclepias fruticosa and Ascelpias physocarpa are really different species; they are very alike but the seed capsules are different colors on the specimens I have. If you know, please share! In the meantime, I was delighted to see several Monarch cats on this one this AM.

• rockyridge
    16 years ago

You are so lucky! I look for Monarchs every year. Very few make it to my door step...don't know why. I have some volunteer Asclepias tuberosa (hey poison, I'm gettin' better) It grows wild here. My husband pulled up a big one last month when he 'helped' weed the blueberries. He felt the wrath of 'Rocky' then I'll tell ya. LOL :) How could he possibly think it looked like a 'weed'? No harm though it came right back up from it's root and the part he did pull I salvaged and put in a pot. Growing beautifully!

When I was a kid growing up in Illinois we had hundreds of Monarchs everywhere.....of course there was wild milkweed growing beside all the farm roads....don't know what kind. It grew right alongside the wild hemp.

Rox

• rockyridge
    16 years ago

diene,

Gorgeous, Gorgeous Lilies!!!
    I especially like Fancy Lily #3 and #5. Nice.

You must be the Lily expert.....maybe you can help me? While touring a daylily garden a few weeks ago I noticed some lilies blooming.....they must have been 6 ft. tall and had 12-15 blooms open at the same time. Stunning. She said they were an oriental lily, but I've been looking for some and haven't found any listed that get that big......they all say 3-4 ft. Am I looking in the wrong place? She said her's had been in the same place for almost 10 years.....could that be why they were so tall?

I really never had any lilies but daylilies until I started hangin' out on this forum. Everybody's beautiful lily pictures have got me hooked....I found myself cruising for lily bulbs this week. Snatched some Crinum lilies off of ebay really cheap....5 bulbs for $6. Can't beat that even with shipping.

Rox

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Beautiful lilies, Diene! Fancy Lilies #5 and new lily #3 are my favorites! Simply gorgeous! Had a new lily bloom in my yard and it is lilium tigrinum splendens. It is such a pretty peach/orange with freckles and the retracted petals. I got bulbils off of it and was pretty excited to get them. So now I will try my hand at growing them. Didn't get any pictures because the monsoons made the petals fall within the first two days of bloom.

• diene
    16 years ago

Hello Rox;
    I am running late so I cannot give you all the info you need. Most of my established lilies are five to six feet tall. Maybe they are all oriental, I will have to look but I thought the asiatic also could get that big. It does take a few years to get them that big so it could just be a time thing. Let me investigate where we bought our fancy lilies from and I will have more info for you. I will do that in the next week.
    I am by no means an expert, I just love them. I do have alot of them but I also have everything else you would want. The lilies just multiply and smell so nice and look great for so long that it is hard not to favor them.
    Have a great day. diene

• remy_gw
    16 years ago

Vela,
    Your garden spot looks perfect in how it seems to blend right into the fields beyond.

Diene,
    Love the liles. I think #3 is the oriental 'Arena'. Does that sound familiar? #5 sort of looks like 'Black Beauty' an Orienpet, but yours has more white around the edges. Maybe it is another orienpet. They are all pretty great looking irregardless of being without names. Here's my Black Beauty. Unfortunately in my pic the strong green center is hard to see.

Poison...,
    Nice shot. I have swamp milkweed, and I get a lot of butterflies in my garden, but I've yet to see caterpillars on mine.
    Oh, and my agastache 'Apricot Sprite' finally started blooming! I don't have pic though. I need batteries, lol.
    Remy

• vela75
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Remy...I like that about it. And it's a perfect view from the kitchen window!!!

Diene...your gardens are beautiful, I'm so glad you learned how to upload your photos!

Love that flower Remy!!

• vela75
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh Diene....I meant to tell you, if I can figure out where the seeds are on those morning glories, I'll be happy to send you some.

• poisondartfrog
    16 years ago

Black Beauty is a gorgeous lily! I will be looking for that one this fall.
    I went out just as the sun was setting last evening to survey the parched land and found a few things that did not look like cooked cabbage.

Brugmansia, Wild Thing Mature blossoms-2nd flush of bloom looks much different than the first.

Rudbeckia hirta, Gloriosa Daisy, Black Eyed Susan

Thunbergia alata, Black Eyed Susan Vine

And this little guy coming down out of the woods to eat in my vegetable garden.

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Poison: I love the Wild Thing! The Sunlight on the blooms is captivating! I really like the thunbergia alata! Have been thinking of adding that here. That little deer looks so thin! The ones that chomp on my apple tree are big and thick in the chest. They graze in my neighbors garden every evening now. He has a huge vegie garden that takes up nearly 1/2 acre of property. It's no wonder our deer are looking so meaty!

• poisondartfrog
    16 years ago

I am actually a little worried about that little fawn. The deer that raid my garden travel in a "family" of 7 individuals, including little twins, and this one has never been with them. She is much thinner and came on her own. It makes me wonder if she is an orphan, or perhaps ill.

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

She does look thin to me. How old would you guess her to be? Is she steady on her feet? If she is young enough then you could possibly approach with a bottle of formula. You never know how these encounters will go though. It is hard to decide when to intervene and when to leave nature to itself sometimes.

• poisondartfrog
    16 years ago

She still has her spots so is probably approaching 3 months old. Deer around here are usually born in May. If she shows up on her own again, I will see how close I can get. Water has become an issue for them and several have been killed crossing the road from my side, the mountain side, to the other side, the Cumberland River side.

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Oh the poor baby. I can't imagine going through life without mom to teach you the ropes in the animal world. I hope you start getting the rain that we just had. I know everyone could use it at this point. Good luck getting close to the baby, be careful.

• poisondartfrog
    16 years ago

A few more that have not succumbed to the heat.

Brugmansia, Sunray

The Monarch cats are getting big! I hope the birds don't find them.
    {{gwi:352633}}

Hibiscus moscheutos, Luna Blush

Ipomoea, Morning Glory from trade
    a href="http://photobucket.com"; target="_blank">

• rockyridge
    16 years ago

Poison,

Wow, those cats have really been stripin' that MW. I actually found 2 little Monarch cats on my MW yesterday. Forgot to take my camera outside yesterday though. Gotta get some pictures of my Butterflies. Got some beauties.

Love your Hibiscus. Gorgeous!

Rox

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

I love the hibiscus and the Ipomoea morning glory! How crazy does the Ipomoea get? I have wild mg's that took over the front flower bed and choked out a few things. Is it like that or does it act more like a clematis?

• poisondartfrog
    16 years ago

Rocky, I am thinking of moving some of those cats to another plant. I don't mind them stripping that one, but I don't want them to run out of food before they pupate.

Tracy, wild Ipomoea are such weeds for the most part! They "eat" a good portion of the vegetable garden every year in spite of me. The ones I grow in the flower gardens on purpose self sow to a much lesser extent. In fact and of course, my favorite ones never self sow. One variety, Jamie Lynn, self sows pretty vigorously, but I like it a lot so I always leave some. I find them much easier to pull out in the flower garden than in the vegetable garden, probably because there are fewer of them.
    The Japanese Ipomoea nil that I love so much have never self sowed for me and to get any number of seeds from them at all I have to hand pollinate them. Actually, I did that this morning as it does not appear that any of those have set seed so far this year.

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

I used to love them, thought they would look so pretty until the wild ones reared their climbing vines! Turned out that the previous owner had trouble with them and hid it from us by covering with landscaping cloth and mulch. They made their way up through the seams and into the arbor vitae by the end of summer. They choked the arbor vitae to death.

This is the area I am waiting for Ed to dig up with the excavator. I have weeded, and weeded, and weeded for 3 years and still have not gotten rid of them. I shake my head in disgust when I look at the front of my house. I just can't stand to look anymore. The roots are hard to keep from breaking and then more appear.

Yours is beautiful, it gives me hope!

I have been pollinating my clematis to see what seeds I get. My understanding is that this will be a long process for germination and development but I do love the clems. Should be fun to see. I have some with seed heads on them (type 3's) and am waiting for the type 2's to brown out. The 2 is a proteus and I have no idea what we will get from this as I have let the bee's do the work for me. I can't wait to see.

• diene
    16 years ago

Hello All;
    I have some new flowers to share, some really unusual glads

fancy lily

dahlia

dahlia breakout

Hope you like these.
    diene

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Ohh Diene you are teasing me with your dahlia pictures! I was just talking about them today. I saw them at the county fair and fell in love! Wildman won best in show! Truely amazing! Break out is a stunner!!!!
    Tracy

• rockyridge
    16 years ago

diene,

I love your green glad....very unusual. Does it have a name; or is it an orphan? You have to dig your glads up every year, right? I've really never grown any. I might have to try some.

Your Dahlias are absolutely gorgeous. While touring a garden a few weeks ago the dahlias caught my eye. This garden had some 5-6 feet high at the back of a daylily bed. Are yours the tall kind or a shorter variety? I'm definitely gonna have to plant some in the spring. Do you know if they are cold hardy in zone 7? I live up on a ridge and the microclimate here is a lot warmer than in the surrounding valleys.

Great pictures......keep 'em comin'

Rox

• diene
    16 years ago

Good Morning Ladies;
    The green glads came from a package saying mixed glads so they do not have a name. The dahlia's and glads are not hardy in this part of the world so they do need to be dug every year. I do not have any luck keeping them over the winter so I just leave them. Some years, some come back but they never last more than a few years. I buy new each spring. The ones in the picture are tall, most of mine are. I do not really like the small ones. They are a fall flower here because of our climate so they are just starting to bloom. I will have more pictures as they bloom.
    I think that properly mulched dahlias would survive in zone 7. They can take a frost just not a killing frost or extend cold period. But what do I know about warm climates? Hope everyone is well. diene