Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dan_the_mailman

new: mnf september migratory perennial swap

dan_the_mailman
13 years ago

The August swap is well on it's way, so we'll go ahead and begin the September swap now. I'm calling it the Migratory Perennial Swap because September is when birds start to gather themselves together, waiting for that special moment when they all take flight and begin their trek to their Winter homes. When we swap plants amongst ourselves, we're treating our plants like those birds, sending them to new homes where they will hopefully prosper and multiply. The rules for this swap are going to be extremely simple, and are as follows...

1) All players should be at least 18, and live within the United States.

2) I'm asking that all players send at least (5) different types of plants to their partners. You can send (3) varieties of daylilies, but for this swap, that'll count as just (1) type of plant.

3) If you wish to send seeds, bags, trinkets, etc., that is fine, but NOT a requirement. I want to keep this simple and inexpensive. We all have a lot of things going on at this time of year, what with sending the kids off to school, re-stocking the liquor cabinet, beginning to prepare for when the in-laws arrive for the holidays, etc.

The purpose for these swaps is to have some fun while sharing our common addiction... gardening. So, to make sure we all have fun, we're keeping it simple.

DATES TO REMEMBER:

September 3rd: Last Day for Sign-ups

September 4th & 5th: Be able to check in to play a game to choose your partner! We're gonna play a game to do this.

September 6th: If all partners have been picked, I'll announce who you are sending to.

September 7th-13th: Send out your boxes unless other arrangements have been okayed by me.

HAVE FUN!!!

-Dan & the Wee Beasties

Comments (76)

• lindaruzicka
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

"lurking....lurking.....lurking"

• hazelnutbunny
    13 years ago

LOL, Jennifer! I'm horribly allergic to poison ivy, so I'll stay away from you....! (just kidding...I'll wear gloves..!) :D

I've always thought of myself as plain, but with a little unpredictability. So I'd have to say that I'd be a briar/wild rose. Most of the time, it's wild & unkempt..easy to care for...and there's nothing that stands out about it. Even the thorns are little & not very noticeable (until they get you, that is!). BUT, when it blooms, it's gorgeous. Maybe not the biggest, most showy flowers...but tiny, delicate, softly scented, pretty ones. It's worth waiting for.
    ..I've always WANTED to be something show stopping...maybe an exotic orchid.
    But they're too hard to take care of. LOL!

• antiqueorchid
    13 years ago

To answer the first part. (If you could be any plant, what would you be?)

A Redwood tree Sequoia sempervirens because:
    *They tower over all other trees in the world and actually are breathtaking. The tallest being 378.1 ft. Beats my 5'6 just by a wee bit.

*They can live to be well over 2000 years. Who wouldn't want to live a few years longer than the average and to look as good or even better each year.

and secondly, (what plant do you think you are most like?) I think maybe a crepe myrtle tree. They have character and can shine here and there but most of the time they are just average.

Denise

• flowergirl34
    13 years ago

Good morning everyone!!

Hhmmm...this is going to take some thinking...

For part 1 if I could be any plant what would I be...I think a sunflower. They are strong, beautiful, and a single one can make a statement in any garden... and can feed many a bird. And they have a tendency to re-seed themselves all over the place...so they like to travel :)

For part 2 What plant am I most like...I think I'm like a willow tree. Very flexible and can move and sway with pretty much any breeze. But even with the harshest wind where other trees will snap they still don't break. They provide ample shade and in there own special way are very pretty. I think I like that. :)

Dan, those were tough...
    Have a great day all!
    vina

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Who said anything about these questions being simple??? LOL! They're SUPPOSED to make you think! And, reveal a bit about yourself to yourself and the group! I'm glad to see you all responding though, it's cool!

***waving special brownies at Linda, trying to entice her to join the party***

• diene
    13 years ago

How interesting that the subject is birds as I am sitting at my desk with the window open and there is an owl whooting outside. I have seen them at dusk but have not heard them before tonight. What a neat sound. They are amazing birds.
    Hope everyone is well.
    diene

• domehomedee
    13 years ago

I'd like to be a California live oak, they have character and are long lived.
    What I am . . . a bay laurel! They have their uses but suffer from a bit too much character.
    Denise, I know what you mean about hawks and small dogs . . . I have five pound yorkie and he doesn't go outside unsupervised.
    I can see it now . . . me taking on some big bird in hand to hand or would that be hand to claw combat!
    Dee

• lindaruzicka
    13 years ago

"wiping crumbs off mouth"..never can resist Dan's brownies...okay, I"m in but I may go ditzy on you if the baby comes during this swap...LOL!!

so, what kind of plant would I be?...hmmm...I think a pansey. They have cheerful faces and are always smiling. They pop up in the most unlikely places and are always welcome.

what am I most like? I would say a rose. Protected by thorns on the outside so you have to be careful getting close. But once you do, the flower has soft petals and the more it unfolds, the closer you want to get to it.

• antiqueorchid
    13 years ago

Dee, Even she is aware of the hawks in the sky. I see her trying to look up at them. Good thing for me she is such a girly little dog. She never wants to stay outside for long for fear of a bug getting on her. Heavens forbid a fly gets in the house, you won't see her until it is killed.

Denise

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

...those brownies work on Linda, every time! lol!!!...

Denise, I've seen some dogs in the neighborhood that would just make a snack for Bump or Stella. The funniest thing I've seen this summer is one of my neighbors walking his dog. He's got to be over 6', big and burly, and the dog is a chihauha. I think the leash weighs more the it does, but every night, there they go... I'd hate to think what Bump and Stella would do with it if they ever got hold of it. They'd think it was just another chew toy...

Okay, time for another subject/question. Since we're on the topic of dogs and cats, if you could have any breed of dog or cat, or both, what would you like, and why? I'm going to wait a little bit before answering this one since I've gone first for the last few questions. It's someone else's turn...lol!

Be Back Soon!
    -Dan

• lindaruzicka
    13 years ago

hmmm..interesting question about dogs/cats. All my animals are either shelter or abandoned so I haven't really had a choice..just a sorta "look what I brought/found/rescued, honey and brought home".."L"..hence why we have 9 cats and three dogs.

I think I would like one of those extremely fluffy angora cats that look all prissy.."L". For some reason they look like they should be wearing a crown or something and have staff.

Dogs...I like teacup yorkies. All my dogs are good size. (my dogs are 39 pounds up to 60. Jeff's new dog thinks she's a lap dog and she's shepard and lab mix!) Yorkies have such a sense of self importance and they just crack me up.

• diene
    13 years ago

I am very sad, I had reservation to go out to Appledore Island and tour Celia Thaxter's Gardens which are supposed to be spectacular. I was hoping to bring back some seeds or seedlings for this swap. They just cancelled the boat due to high seas which means, no boat, no garden tour. While I understand and wondered to myself earlier today about the advisability of getting on a ferry with the ocean as angry as it is now, I was sooo looking forward to this. Keep your fingers crossed they will reschedule as the rest of the tours for the year are sold out.
    Darn IT!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Celia Thaxter's Gardens

• domehomedee
    13 years ago

Let's see dogs uh . . . I'd probably be something like a cocker spaniel (spelling?) And a cat. . . definately a short-haired red kitty!
    I'm going to try to post a photo of my dog - Buster Brown -he's a 5lb. yorkie, not officially a teacup, more like a runt.
    Dee

Here is a link that might be useful:

• lindaruzicka
    13 years ago

Diene, did they reschedule your tour????

• sherrih
    13 years ago

HI ALL,
    Dan I would like to get in on this one too!!Sounds Like fun.
    Ok now about the questions...I like hummingbirds, I think they are amazing creatures, so small,colorful,I love the way they sound when they are hovering near by and they way they fly right up to my face and talk to me.Don't know if they are thanking me for the food or saying get away from it!!
    Now for the Dog, I think I like the Lab,they are loyal,loveing,great with children,and also a protector.
    LMK if I am in..thanks

• diene
    13 years ago

No, that was the last one for this year. The only bright spot was that we were planning on meeting for breakfast first so we did that a bit later than we would have if the tour was happening and... When we left the restaurant a took a short walk, we literally ran into Taylor Swift. I have to plead ignorance as to who she was or what she was famous for but I have since been enlightened and we watched her new video last night (Mine) and the Wayfarer was quite prominent. You also could see my friend Janie's house in a few of the scenes. It was pretty cool and she did seem down to earth.
    So, maybe next year on the garden.

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Welcome Aboard Sherri! You bet your in!
    In fact, let's update our lists, shall we? Here we go...
    dan_the_mailman (host)
    antiqueorchid
    flowergirl34
    sinbadsmom
    diene
    booboobolhuis
    domehome
    cjcjmass
    lindaruzicka
    sherrih

Lurkers...
    hazelnutbunny
    lilangel181
    sassybutterfly

Diene, talk about good news/bad news, what a day you had, eh?
    Dee, I checked out Buster, he's cool! I'd be afraid of breaking a dog under 20 pounds, but that's just me. I'm the one who has 2 cats who top 15 pounds each, and still wonders why I'm all scratched up after we wrestle. ((chuckle))

Now that some of you have revealed your canine/feline fantasies, I'll share mine. The question was what kind of cat/dog would you most like to have, and why. Well, as far as cats go, you can all probably answer that one for me. It's got to be obvious that I am completely addicted to maine coons. They're personable, fluffy, friendly, large enough to play with (just don't toss them into the air --- OUCH!!!), and they permit me to spoil them to no end! LOL! As for dogs, I would love to have a yellow lab when I get a bigger place. They seem like they make great companions, going wherever you go, and are comfortable having a lazy day with their owner, or an adventureous one. Someday, I'll find out for myself.

So, are you all ready for a couple tough questions? A lot of us have been around the swaps for a long time, and some of us are new to the addiction, which will give us a broad spectrum of possible answers. So, not wanting to cause any mayhem, here's what I'd like some honest answers to. What do each of you like the most about swaps in general, and what do you like the least? Please do NOT mention anyone's name if you have something negative to say, I'm not doing this to hurt any feelings. I would, however, like to use this one as a way for us all to learn, and hopefully improve, our swaps. This being said, I'll go first.
    The one thing I like the MOST about participating in swaps is sharing my obsession for gardening with others like me. Sometimes I just don't think the people I know get it, they just don't understand the "gotta" about reading and re-reading seed catalogs, making 30 different plans and layouts for the next summer, knowing that they'll never be used, or knowing the joy of seeing butterflies flitting from flower to flower, all of which wouldn't be there if I hadn't taken the time to grow them.
    The thing I like the LEAST about participating in swaps would have to be the people who join in a swap, receive a box, and never send one out. I know that sometimes Life happens and that boxes may be late in being sent out, and I'm okay with that. But to join a swap, knowing that you're going to intentionally make someone go without receive a box??? Well, that's just wrong, and those are the kind of people I wish would wind up on a deserted island, with only salt to eat, and vinegar to drink.

And now my dear children, I am going to adjourn to my bedroom, where I hope to sleep for about 40 or 50 hours. It won't happen (Stella will see to THAT!!!), but one can hope, eh?

Have a great weekend Everyone! And don't forget to check back here next weekend so you can pick your partner! It'll be here before you know it! ***rubbing hands together and laughing maniacally***

PEACE.
    -Dan

• sherrih
    13 years ago

I'm a newbie but what I like best about these swaps is the wonderful people I have met since I've been here. People who are always there to answer your questions ( no matter how silly they seem). Its also nice to be involved with people who share the same passion you do. OH and the "SWAP" they are awsome, or even recieving a seed pk in the mail. Its like getting lil presents all the time. Fun to send and fun to recieve.I love surprises..I also like to to recieved email letting me know about yourself so I might put alittle something besides the seeds, plants in the box I am sending..

I can't comment on dislikes because I have not had any as of yet. I think I'd have to agree with Dan on that one. I know I would be very hurt, angry and dissapointed if I did not recieve one back. Like he said life can throw you some curve balls, and I would understand if that were the case, but to join and know you are not gonna send thats just wrong!
    Everyone Have a good rest of the weekend,
    Sherri GW/sherrih

• domehomedee
    13 years ago

What I like about swapping. Well it's a toss up between the plants and communicating with other garden nuts like myself. I also like to try new plants and learn about them. I have found so many new plants through gardenweb members.
    What I dislike. Well of course no one likes to be burned, and I've had some disappointments. I try not to linger on them and only remember the super nice and generous people I have met.
    Dee

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It's always best to concentrate on the good things in life, like all the great people I've met here on the Garden Web who have become friends and family. Yep, I said family.

I think we'd all pretty much agree on what we like and dislike about the swaps, so I'll ask another question. Do you all have any suggestions we could use to make the swaps better, or a little different? Is there anything you'd like to see done in these swaps which we could try out to see if it would work? (hopefully these questions will help future hosts with their swaps, new ideas are always welcome)

• diene
    13 years ago

I did not have a chance to weigh in on my likes and dislikes so I will now. I like plants and seeds and an occasional treat (chocolate comes to mind). I am not a big fan of sending little trinkets as they cost money and add to shipping. I also am not a fan of candles, soaps, creams etc as that is what I sell and I only use my products so it really is a waste to send it to me. Not so much shipping with the one rate boxes but I would rather have another plant than a little statue, bottle of skin lotion etc. I always like to know a little more about my partner and used to make sure I sent a note with my box. Lately, I have been negligent with that aspect of a swap. I have been around GW so long and seen so many people not follow through on their end of a swap it is disheartening. I have seen every excuse in the books but mostly the excuse is not forthcoming it is after the fact and so I am very skeptical. I see no excuse for not fulfilling a commitment you make and those that do I believe never planned on fulfilling it.
    The most important part of any swap is communication. Keeping your partner and the host aware of any personal issues and making sure you post an acknowledgement of the receipt of your swap. No one sends something out without hoping that it will be well received so it should always be acknowledged. I also do not like seeing someone complain about a box they receive on the thread. If you have issues, keep it private between the host and your partner until it is resolved. It ruins the swap for everyone when there is negativity.
    So I hope this will be read as a cautionary tale and not as a negative statement.
    Most important in a swap is to have fun.

• antiqueorchid
    13 years ago

Dan, I think you have made it pretty clear what this swap is about. I joined this one because it is a PLANT swap. Just what I was looking for. I am not big on trinkets or yard junk but chocolate, tea, or coffee is always nice. It is not very pleasant when you join a swap expecting plants and not receive any. I think it is best to make sure we read and follow the requirments of each swap so others will not be disappointed. And YES the most important part of a swap is to have FUN. I like to receive a note from my partner to learn a little about who I am trading with, I actually think it is a common courtesy. It makes it a little more personal. Not just like, Hey what did I get?

Denise

• domehomedee
    13 years ago

Denise,
    I appreciated your post. I never send much in the way of a personal note. Sometimes if someone gets real friendly I'll swap pictures via email. But you know I think I'll start sending a note with a garden picture or a domehome picture. I'd love to get a garden picture from someone I'm swapping with. That's really what this is all about . . . gardens!
    Dee

• antiqueorchid
    13 years ago

That is a great idea:) I am going to get a couple of pictures to send and I would love to see a picture or two of my swap partners gardens/home.

Denise

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Pictures, cards, and photos are a great idea! I'm not going to make them a requirement for this swap, but it make a cool part of your box! One time I sent a copy of the local paper, and my swap partner was able to sit down with a cup of coffee and enjoy the paper...lol!

• flowergirl34
    13 years ago

I love sending little things from where I live too. Once I sent rocks from Lake Ontario to a lady who collects rocks and lives in the south. And one time I sent a flier from the Historical Society about all the historic places around where I live. It was neat and even had a map and nice pictures (better than I could ever take). I've sent NY Cheesecake, NY wine, NY Maple Syrup...all are grown, made and sold within about 15 minutes from my house.

And I once received some lovely post cards and pictures from a trader in Texas. She even sent me a bag of pecans because they are the state nut. That was a while ago, but I still remember the box she sent.

We should have a local themed swap. Everyone lives in different areas and has different things and sites to see. That might make a neat swap. Just thinking out loud...

vina

• diene
    13 years ago

I also try to send Maine stuff, I have sent lots of seashells as I live near the beach. I have also sent pine cones, pictures, historical info and stuff. I received a wonderful box I think it was for the first MNF swap. My partner made me a binder of info about her and her world with room to keep track of my plants. I still use it today. I believe her name was shirley and I think we have lost touch with her but she was from Washington State. I also remember that one. I will be better about the notes, I have been slacking.
    diene

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

...sending out a mass e-mail to all the players, please let me know if you don't get it...

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

so far I've heard back from...
    antiqueorchid/Denise
    flowergirl34/Vina
    booboobolhuis/Jennifer
    diene/diene
    cjcjmass/Cindy

...and I'm still hoping to hear from the rest...

• booboobolhuis
    13 years ago

Any certain check in time tomorrow?

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

You may all "check in" after 7:30am tomorrow morning, which is when I have to be at work, so I'll have the game posted by then.
    For our partner-choosing game, I am sending you all to the World's Largest Pet Store! Within it you will find all sorts of animals, but there will only be one of each. You will look through the list of available animals, choose one, and take it home with you to love and care for. Once all the animals have been taken home, I will e-mail each of you with the name of the person I have associated with each animal, and you will mail your box to that person. DO NOT REVEAL ONLINE WHO YOU ARE SENDING YOUR BOX TO.
    PLEASE PUT A DELIVERY CONFIRMATION NUMBER ON YOUR BOX, AND E-MAIL IT TO ME.
    When you receive your box, come back and post it's contents so we can all share in the fun of opening them all, and the name of the person who sent it to you. This way, we'll all be wondering who is sending us our box until we receive it, lol!
    When you have your delivery confirmation number, send it to me, but do not post it here on our thread. This way, no one will know when their box is going to arrive until it does, creating a lot of anticipation and excitement, but if something happens and a box goes astray, I'll be able to use my resources at work to hopefully find it and get it back to where it belongs.

So, having said all that, SEE YOU TOMORROW!!!

-Dan

• diene
    13 years ago

Took a long walk on the beach today, it was low tide and lots of stuff washed up because of hurricane Danielle which is now history but the ocean remembers longer. Earl is on his way but they have downgraded him significantly so hopefully we will at least get some rain, it is so dry here.
    I am anxiously awaiting this swap, what animal will I pick? No idea til I see the choices.
    Hope everyone has a nice night.
    diene

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Diene, a walk on the beach sounds positively perfect right now. Enjoy!

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It's time for you all to go to the pet store and pick a new family member! Pick one, and only one. There will be no stealing or giving away because who'd do that to a family member? (well, I can think of a few times I wanted to, but it's not happening this time...lol!) On a first come, first served basis, with me going last, you may each choose from the following list...
    whooping crane
    penguin
    tiger
    antelope
    bengal tiger
    lion
    bear
    wolf
    giraffe
    elephant

LET THE MAYHEM BEGIN!!! LOL!!!

• lindaruzicka
    13 years ago

whooping crane...sounds interesting!

• booboobolhuis
    13 years ago

bengal tiger

• diene
    13 years ago

antelope, what a graceful creature which I aspire to, my choice Dan

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sherri is having trouble posting a message here, so she sent me an e-mail asking to have the wolf. Here's a list of who has chosen which animal so far...

Linda wants the whooping crane
    Sherri wants the wolf
    Booboo likes the bengal tiger
    Diene chose the antelope

This leaves the
    lion
    tiger
    bear
    penguin
    elephant
    giraffe
    to choose from.

Have a great Saturday!
    -Dan

• diene
    13 years ago

Lions, and tigers and bears, oh my!!!

• antiqueorchid
    13 years ago

I choose the bear.

Denise

• flowergirl34
    13 years ago

My daughters favorite show is "The Penguins of Madagascar". How can I pass up Skipper, Rico, Kowalski or Private :0)

I choose Penguins!

vina

• sinbadsmom
    13 years ago

Morning, I'll go with the giraffe, Kathie

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

4:00 UPDATE

Sherri wants the wolf
    Diene chose the antelope
    Denise now has a bear
    Vina adopted the penguin
    Kathie is going to learn how to ride a giraffe

This leaves the
    lion
    tiger
    elephant
    to choose from.

After Cindy and Dee choose their animal, I'll start sending out e-mails to give you your mailing information.
    Have a Happy Day!
    -Dan

• domehomedee
    13 years ago

Oh the elephant!
    I always wanted an elephant.
    Dee

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dee gets her elephant, so that leaves Cindy to choose between the lion and the tiger. This is going fast! ***applauding loudly*** You're all wonderful!!!

• cjcjmass
    13 years ago

lion..........

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

giving me the tiger...cool!

here's the final list...
    Sherri wants the wolf
    Diene chose the antelope
    Denise now has a bear
    Vina adopted the penguin
    Kathie is going to learn how to ride a giraffe
    Dee gets her elephant
    Cindy has her lion
    And I've got a tiger by the tail

I will e-mail everyone tomorrow. My eyelids are getting pretty heavy, and I don't want to make any mistakes, so I'll let you all know who you are sending to, and give you their mailing address, tomorrow.

Peace, & Good-night.
    -Dan

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Good Morning!
    I've had my breakfast (some quiche I made last night) and am ready to start working on those e-mails. If you don't receive one today, please let me know! I'll have them all mailed out by 8am.
    Have a Happy Sunday!
    -Dan

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I've tried to give us a new thread to use, but no luck. Can someone else give it a try? here's what I wanted to post...

IT'S TIME TO MIGRATE!!!

Sign-ups are over, everyone has chosen their new pet from the Pet Store, and I've sent e-mails to everyone, letting them know who to send their box to. Whew! That's a LOT done! LOL!!!
    Please don't forget to send me an e-mail, with a delivery confirmation number, once you've sent out your box.
    DO NOT POST THE DELIVERY CONFIRMATION NUMBER HERE!!!
    I want to try to keep everyone guessing as long as we can. Don't worry, the suspense won't kill you, but it will make the waiting all that much more fun! Muhahahahaha!!!

Once you've received your box, post the contents of it here, and PLEASE go to the Rate & Review forum to leave some feedback about the person who sent it. I think we all tend to forget this, myself included, so let's try to remind ourselves about it, okay?

HAPPY MAILBOXING!!!

-Dan

• cjcjmass
    13 years ago

Hello everyone...Had a busy day today both tubes were removed today without any Lortab..OOCH.I was so excited to see my box at the front door.It felt like xmas in September...Thank you so much

It included a get well card from flowergirl34 thank you so much.

Red Texas Star Hibiscus
    White Butterfly Bush
    Yarrow summer pastels
    white swan coneflower
    Wiegela bush CArnival
    white columbine
    Daffodil bulbs mix
    snow crocus bulbs mix

And a box full of seeds
    fountain grass
    yarrow white
    sweet william