Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dirt_under_my_nails

new: obf sept. 'for the birds'

The theme this month is "For the Birds"

glitter-graphics.com

Hate to mention this but,winter is just around the corner. Sooo time to start looking ahead to the caring for our feathered friends! Ideas are feeders, houses,and of course ... plants & seeds that feed & shelter the birds.

Not many rules to have to follow other than:

(1) Box must have one bird feeder

& for a bit of a twist:

(2) Try to send a plant with a birds name in it!

Boxes should be mailed by the 22nd

later...April /dirt_under_my_nails

Comments (129)

• mellen
    15 years ago

Carol, your box to me came in today's mail. I just got home from a long day so have not opened it yet. Goodness it is HEAVY!!! Just wanted you to know.
    Mary Ellen

• brittneysgran
    15 years ago

April-I need your address please...your box is ready to be mailed and I can't find your address.

thanks

Shirley

• dirt_under_my_nails
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Updated list of boxes:

veeja to mellen ~received
    earthly to deb
    theresa to brittneysgran
    deb to wynative ~received
    mellen to remy
    wynative to nyvoices
    remy to veeja
    dirt to earthly~sent
    annie to theresa ~sent
    brittneysgran to dirt
    nyvoices to annie

If I missed any please let me know.
    Taylor had a good birthday.We took her to a place called Lollipop's Jumping Safari & her choice of dinner. All of our families live out of state so they seem to try make it up to her in money. She was happy,she got enough for a Nintendo DS lite & some My Epet dogs.Looks like we will be buying my husband a DS for Christmas as he won't leave hers alone!LOL!!

Shirley~ I emailed you my address,please let me know if it didn't come through.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!
    Later...April/dirt

• sandlapper_rose
    15 years ago

Sorry about that... April, glad your DAUGHTER had a happy birthday. Sounds like she has a wonderful gift picked out to get with her birthday money.
    Jeanne

• dirt_under_my_nails
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It's ok Jeanne.LOL!! Lots of people get confused. Her name works for both genders.

later...April/dirt

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Hi All,
    I'm working on putting together things I have to mail out today. I was making the address label for Carol and I have horrible writing! I think the street is 169, but it could be 161 or 167. If someone could tell me which it is before the day is through, I would very much appreciate it!
    Remy

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Where the heck is everyone?! Well, I sent the pkg. out to 169. I sure hope it is correct! The confirmation # is
    0307 3330 0001 3580 5784
    Carol,
    If it is wrong, I'm sorry. you'll have to drive over to 169th street to get your pkg. lol!
    I didn't know all this breeder stuff either until looking it up.

April,
    Lollipop's Jumping Safari sounds like quite the kiddie joint. I'm sure Taylor loved it and all that cash!

Melissa,
    What a sad story about Whiskey! I like to get my dogs from the SPCA. I've gotten the best dogs there. The SPCA here is very popular. We get animals from a lot of other places since they seem to be able to place more pets. Like my Charlie was originally from Ohio.
    Remy

• mellen
    15 years ago

Remy, I am here. Just been busy with company over the week-end. The weather here has been GORGEOUS!!! Sunny 80's with no humidity. Hard to believe that it is Fall.

I finally had a chance to open Carol's box last night. It was so heavy that I was expecting there to be bricks of some kind inside. I will try to remember what she sent.

-a cedar squirrel feeder-so COOL and I am excited about it
    -MANY packets of plant markers-Yea!
    -daylily Signet Purple
    -a brug that smells like lemon-VERY excited to have this, Carol!
    -a TY Beanie Baby sloth-It is so dang cute!
    -a fridge magnet that says something like God makes special friends or something like that.
    -3 different kinds of seeds-love in a mist, columbine, and _______( I will have to go look at it. )
    This is what I can remember right now here at school. Carol, I absolutely LOVED all that you sent, and I just didn't want another day to go by without me listing SOMEthing. I have Bible study tonight so it will be another late evening.

I see that the October swap has been posted. Looks 'interesting.'

November is my month to hostess the swap. I'm thinking of doing another seed exchange/swap IF any of you would be interested in something like that. Since it will be Christmas the next month, I don't want people to spend a whole lot so I thought something with seeds would be rather inexpensive. Also thinking that we may all be harvesting seeds right now that we would be willing to share without having to purchase any. Feedback would be welcome.
    Thanks,
    Mary Ellen

• dirt_under_my_nails
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Updated list of boxes:
    earthly to deb
    theresa to brittneysgran
    mellen to remy
    wynative to nyvoices
    remy to veeja ~sent
    dirt to earthly~usps confirmation # shows it was delivered
    annie to theresa ~sent
    brittneysgran to dirt
    nyvoices to annie

Hope everyone has had a nice first couple days of Fall.Still summerlike temps during the day, but night is a WHOLE different story. It gets so cool in the house that I turn the fans off half way through the night.
    Sounds like some very nice boxes being sent & received.Try to get most of them mailed & out within this next week. I know a few are planned to go late.
    later.....April/dirt

• Theresa24 (NeFL9a)
    15 years ago

Hi All,

Shirley, I'm sorry that our rains slowed me down this past weekend but your box will be going out tomorrow afternoon and the plants are now nice and hydrated. I need to open it back up because I just realized that I left one thing out but it will definitely go out tomorrow. Will post DC then.

Mellen,

I love the idea of a seed swap. I tend to only sow seeds over the winter anymore. Have also been harvesting when I get those few minutes here and there.

Theresa

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Hi All,
    I just received an email from Maryanne. She is still computerless, but other wise well.
    She asked me to forward Deb's address to her so I will do that in a minute.

April,
    She told me to tell you, thank you, she got the box. She didn't post contents, but I would assume she can't write a lengthy letter. It is early and I figure she sent out a quick email before anyone important arrived at work.
    Do you remember what you sent? Maybe you could post for her : )

Remy

• mellen
    15 years ago

Good morning, all. More rain overnight.

I knew that I had forgotten some things that Carol sent in her box to me. She also sent-

-a bag of mixed crocus bulbs
    -a bag of pretty tulips
    -a big jar of Osmocote

Again, Carol, THANK YOU for your generosity and thoughtfulness!
    Mary Ellen/Mellen

• dirt_under_my_nails
    Original Author
    15 years ago

remy~ Thanks! I knew she was having computer issues.Gald she got the box
    From what I recall I sent Earthly:
    'Crazy' daisy
    'Local Color' iris
    'Jambalaya' daylily
    ~a bird seed scoop funnel thingy
    ~a thistle bird feeder kit that uses an empty pop bottle
    ~a wooden bird feeder
    & For the bird named items
    ~'Jedi FLAMINGO Kid' daylily
    ~'PEACOCK Maiden' daylily
    ~'White SWAN' coneflower
    I think that's it.

later...April/dirt

• dirt_under_my_nails
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My box from Shriley arrived today!! inside I got:

~Cedar Wren birdhouse
    ~Really cute decoratvie fall birdhouse with pumpkins,corn,& crows on it.
    ~'Black GAMECOCK' LA iris ~'All Ameriacn EAGLE' daylily ~'Chorus Line' daylily
    And these are my very first siberian iris!!!!
    ~'Forever Rembered'
    ~'Pink Haze'
    ~'Frosted Cranberry'
    Plus cuttings from Honeycomb Butterfly Bush & Black Pussywillow
    ~seeds~
    *baby's breath
    *red poppy

Thanks sooo much Shirley!!!! Now I'm off to look up photos of everything.
    later....April/dirt

• Theresa24 (NeFL9a)
    15 years ago

Oops. It looks like my other post from yesterday never made it up. I meant to say that I received my plant from Annie. She sent a very healthy looking Cardinal Flower. This is one that I didn't have yet so I'm very excited.

Shirley, your box went out a bit ago. DC# 03080070000096761838 I hope it arrives in good shape.

Theresa

• mellen
    15 years ago

Okay, here I am again to report one MORE item that Carol sent. I am now at home actually LOOKING at all of what she sent. The other item was a plant--coral bells Ebony and Ivory. I LOVE coral bells!!! THANK you again, dear friend. I think I have it all listed now. I'm such a ditz sometimes. lol Age has NOTHING to do with memory, eh?
    Mary Ellen/Mellen

• dirt_under_my_nails
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Box Update:
    earthly to deb
    theresa to brittneysgran~sent
    mellen to remy
    wynative to nyvoices
    remy to veeja ~sent
    dirt to earthly~received
    annie to theresa ~received
    brittneysgran to dirt~received
    nyvoices to annie

I'm still searching info on my plants
    later...April/dirt

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

April,
    Thanks! You sent a great box : ) It sounds like you and everyone else has received great boxes too.
    Remy

• wynative
    15 years ago

Sorry about this but my box will be late going out - the plant I ordered has not arrived but is to be here today. As it has been in the mail for so long I want to give it a good drink before I send it on the next part of the trip. I will send out with conformation on Monday the 29th.

Marie

• earthlydelights
    15 years ago

Hi everyone!!!!!

Well, I have a few minutes to "sneak in". What the heck, I could probably stay in for a while, since this job ends tomorrow, but I donÂt want to burn my bridges. IÂm supposed to get my computer back tomorrow, but IÂve heard that many times and so far, tomorrow hasnÂt come. I have so much catching up to do on the forums, not sure where to start.

First off, April, thank you ever so much for the great box of plants and bird accessories. I love the scoop and its found a spot in my bird food can. I canÂt recall the names of the plants, and I apologize, the note is at home, but I am thrilled with all of them and they will find a very special place in my garden beds. I especially love the addition of more coneflowers.

These last several months have been crazy. I buried my BIL the day before his birthday. He was one of my dearest friends in life and my heart still aches. His brother was my ex and he and I maintained an amazing friendship that had lasted over 30 years. I had a cancer scare, but thank God, thatÂs all it was. Took a month or more for them to finally say "no" after all the tests and procedures. I wasnÂt really prepared for the good news so I didnÂt know how to act, but thatÂs behind me, for now. My son and his family moved in. I love having the g-babe there, but sad to say, I donÂt feel quite the same about her parents. When do they grow up and get their acts together? If anyone knows, please shed some light.

Well, thatÂs about it for now. I sure hope everyone is doing well and has avoided the terrible weather that some of the areas that have been hit hard. We are expecting storms this afternoon through the weekend, moving up from the south. I have an outside wedding on Saturday, should be fun! My friend has dated more women in his life to find "the one" and believes he finally has. He told me last night, if only they had done it last weekend which was absolutely gorgeous  oh well.

Be well, hope to be back among the group shortly. I certainly miss everyone!

Maryanne

• veeja11
    15 years ago

I love my box Remy, hope I list it all, there was sooo much
    plants
    pulmonia
    aster-october skies
    fake lavender japanese iris
    bellflower
    huchera
    tillinia grandaflora
    columbine
    geranium
    sunflower plate
    all weather bird feeder
    wolf ornament been holding on to this for me also the wolf puzzel am i right ?
    duck mini picture
    thankyou Remy I am in box heaven. thankyou. hugs carol

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Hi Carol,
    Good guesses on the things I had been saving for you : ) They aren't bird related, but I figured you would like them. I know my handwriting is bad, but the Lavender Japanese Iris is PALE not fake, lol. The link below is a pic of it.

Maryanne,
    Glad you could sneak in! I sure hope you get your computer back soon.
    I'm so sorry to hear about you BIL: ( I know you were close to him. He had to of been a good man to stay friends with you after the divorce.
    It is nice about having the grandbaby around. I'm sure she loves it too. Hopefully you'll be able to post pics of her soon. I'm sure she has grown so much!
    Remy

Here is a link that might be useful:

• dirt_under_my_nails
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Box Update:
    earthly to deb
    theresa to brittneysgran~sent
    mellen to remy
    wynative to nyvoices
    remy to veeja ~received
    dirt to earthly~received
    nyvoices to annie

Maryanne~ Good to see you! Glad you enjoyed the box.

All my plants are now in the ground. One I had to plant twice thanks to some help from the dogs. They decided to play football with a daylily.What is it about a freshly planted flower that is soooo tempting to dogs????

Has anyone noticed a decrease of hummers around their feeders? Guess they are starting to miagrate(sp?)already. The yard will be sooo quite & still without them.

No big plans for the weekend here...Hoping I get to sleep in past 8:00 at least!

later....April/dirt

• brittneysgran
    15 years ago

April-Yes sad to say but the hummers must be packing to leave. I miss them so much and long to see them in the Spring.

Theresa-I received my wonderful box and was wowed by all the beauties you sent:
    Theresa sent:
    Seeds:::::::
    echinacea pink double delight....i love cone flowers..thanks
    joe pye weed
    echinacea pallida-yeah more coneflowers
    sunflower giant gray stripe--the birds will love me next yr
    yellow lambs ear
    everglades tomato..looking forward to these next year
    Plants::::::::::
    breynia snowbush
    hummingbird mint--really into mints this year
    echinacea tennessensis
    daylily clara
    crinum bulbs
    seashore mallow phillipina violet
    the cutest bird feeder that says welcome to my garden
    timed realease plant food..my plants thank you
    and last something I fell in love with....It's a solar powered Common Yellowthroat Bird that sings when activated.
    If you didn't spot it on the table and it started singing you would think a real one had gotten in the room. It has a charger that you re-charge it with.

Thank You Theresa for a wonderful swap box.

Shirley

• earthlydelights
    15 years ago

Good afternoon everyone. Hope you are all staying dry. It's been raining like mad for the last couple of days.

Everyone is receiving nice boxes. Mine is a little different, more for the birds than anything else. Got an idea in my head and it didn't stop. Hope you like it Deb, it will be going out tomorrow.

Got my computer back - still not right, but at least I can get on now and again.

Can't believe September is almost over. It's going way too fast.

Be well everyone
    Maryanne

• raggedyann161420
    15 years ago

I'm still out of town and will be till tomorrow sometime.

Theresa I will get the rest of your birdy box out to you sometime this week, and will post the confirmation number when I do.
    I apologize for being late with this months swap.
    LIFE IS GOOD,
    Annie

• mellen
    15 years ago

Remy, Your birdie box is going out in tomorrow's mail.(Tuesday). The DC# is:

0307 0020 0005 2563 9178

Mary Ellen/Mellen

• dirt_under_my_nails
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Box Update:
    earthly to deb
    theresa to brittneysgran~received
    mellen to remy~sent
    wynative to nyvoices
    remy to veeja ~received
    dirt to earthly~received
    nyvoices to annie

It was 83 here today! Thought it was fall.....
    Anyone in the southern areas having issues finding gas? It seems like only 1 out of 5 stations around here have any.You know when you find it.... the lines are CRAZY!!!!

later...April/dirt

• mellen
    15 years ago

Here in Iowa we have no problem finding gasOLINE. In fact, the price has been falling. I believe I saw $3.27 yesterday. Go figure, huh?

• wynative
    15 years ago

Anita -

Your package is on its way!! I sent you an email with the conformation #. So sorry that it is late....

Enjoy!
    Marie

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Hi All,
    My very birdie box from Mellen flew onto my porch today! In it was:
    A wooden Birdhouse with a tin roof!
    big Bell Birdfeeder
    big Finch Mesh Feeder bag- I needed a new one! I've got a hole in mine
    2 Suet Cakes-I love these for winter
    A cute little rustic country birdhouse design hanging decoration that says "Tweet Dreams" : )
    Halloween Bracelet
    A Fall Tea Sampler
    Pumpkin Pie flavored Hot Cocoa
    A very good sized Clematis, 'Venosa Violacea' It looks like it will have fantastic blooms!
    Iris 'Raven's Quote'- It must be a Poe reference and I love dark Iris

Mellen,
    Everything is great! Thanks so much for a wonderful box. My birdies thank you too! : )
    I can't believe gas is so low near you! We don't have any shortages, but the price is still much higher than you even at the reservation.

April,
    It has been rainy and it is cold today! I don't want winter to come : (
    Remy

• dirt_under_my_nails
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Box Update:
    earthly to deb
    mellen to remy~received
    wynative to nyvoices~sent
    remy to veeja ~received
    dirt to earthly~received
    nyvoices to annie

I shouldn't griped about the heat...it was 47 when I got up at 6:00 this morning.BRRRRR..Gotta find my fuzzy slippers!
    We have gas again!!!YAY! Price hovers around 3.99-4.20 Just depends on how far from town you are.

Remy-I just looked up Raven's Quote, very pretty! Not a big fan of winter either.But I'm thinking GA is just too hot. Where can I go where it's not cold,not hot,but still sunny?

later...April/dirt

• nyvoices99
    15 years ago

VERY quick post to let Marie know I got her box!!! I love it, will post what she sent later today, I need to get the walls cleaned with bleach in the basement before I can bring my plants in & they are calling for 34, So off to clean I go. :)Anita

• mellen
    15 years ago

Remy, thanks for letting me know that your birdie box arrived. AND that you liked what I sent. Feels like Fall here.
    Mary Ellen/Mellen

• Debra Andruska
    15 years ago

Maryanne's box arrived today!

Maryanne,
    Thank you so much! I really needed all the outdoor bird items! Our winters are so long and harsh, the birds are going to be really happy this winter!

Maryanne sent~
    Bird feeder
    Finch feeder
    Hummer feeder
    2 suet cakes/holder
    cute mini feeder (for a fence or tree)
    Cute, festive notecards
    Garden journal
    pad of garden paper (I'm keeping this by the computer, I always need paper to write things down quickly!)

What a nice bird box! All of the items will really go to good use!

Hugs,
    Deb

• earthlydelights
    15 years ago

Deb, glad you enjoyed it.
    I tried to fit in as much as I could for the birds. I love feeding them and my grandbabe is getting in to watching them and helping fill the feeders. I am so thankful for the scoop that April included in my box, as it makes it a little easier for her to manage the filling of the birdhouses.

There should have been some kind of dip mix in there too.

Maryanne

• nyvoices99
    15 years ago

OK, My last post disappeared? Lets try this again, Marie sent me:
    A very nice cedar bird feeder
    2 kitchen decorative tin plaques
    Box of Miracle Grow
    Seeds For:
    Easter Egg Plant
    Burgundy Galaidari
    Rainbow Lantana
    Mixed 4-O'clock's
    White Cleome
    & an Orange Bird Of Paradise Plant.
    Thank you so much Marie for everything;)

Annie, Your box is heading out BY Sat, I promise, I am so sorry to be so late with it.(Anita

• raggedyann161420
    15 years ago

Hi all,

Anita, no worries, I'm on the road, and I won't get home till next Wed sometime. I will have 2 1/2 days off Then I have to be on the road again till the following Friday.

Theresa, your box will go out when I get back home and I do apologize for being so late. Shame on me.

Fall is beginning to show some brilliant color, but I hate that winter is around the corner. With all the rain we received this growing season I hope this is not an indication of what is in store for the Midwest this winter.

Time to leave for work soon,
    LIFE IS GOOD,
    Annie

• nyvoices99
    15 years ago

Annie,
    I lied to you:( I have to wait till next week to ship, I do not have a way to the PO, DH will be gone in the morning, sorry:(

• nyvoices99
    15 years ago

Annie,
    Your box is ready & going out in the morning, will post D/C when I get back home then..:)Anita

• nyvoices99
    15 years ago

Annie,
    Your D/C# is:0301 0120 0009 6052 1552
    Hope you will be home for it & sorry to be so late;)Anita

• raggedyann161420
    15 years ago

Anita, I just got home and thank you! I know I will love what ever you send. Hope you are feeling better. I know you have alot going on, and I think of you often.

Theresa, your box will be going out tomorrow, and the confirmation number is 0307 0020 0000 3240 1381. I'm sorry I am so late with it, and I hope you will like what I've selected for you.

It is a chilly 53 degrees here, and raining. I guess it is time to fire up the corn burner to take the chill off the house.

I have some iris that are trying to rebloom; I hope they do it before we get a frost.

Someone sent me two hosta from Pap's Pretty Posies, I wonder who it is? Will this very considerate sender please step forward so I can thank you for hosta "Pearl Lake" and "Parky's Gold" AGAIN, THANK YOU!

LIFE IS GOOD,
    Annie

• raggedyann161420
    15 years ago

ANITA ANITA ANITA, THANK YOU FOR THE BOX OF GOODIES.You always go over and beyond in sending great things.

In my box of goodies were:

A Cedar Wren House
    Seed Scoop/funnel (I needed this more than you know)

Then Anita Sent...

ECHINACEA
    Tiki Torch- I love the color of this

ORENTIAL LILY
    Romance
    Vincent

LA LILY
    Showboat

ASIATIC LILY
    First Lady

DAYLILY
    Kate Carpenter
    Respishi

There is more!!!!!!!

BULBS
    Allium Green Hair
    Allium Bulgaricum
    Allium Sphaerocephalon

Fritillaria Bulbs UVA Vulpis
    Mix Dutch Iris
    Striped Squill Puschkinia Libanotica
    Glory of the Snow Chionodoxa
    Crocus Prins Claus

Anita, you really know how to pack a box, and I thank you from the bottom of my heart. I do hope I didn't miss anything.

THANKS AGAIN,
    Annie

P.S. Theresa, your box is going out this afternoon!

• nyvoices99
    15 years ago

Annie,
    I so love to share;) glad you got it & liked it, you don't know how bad I wanted to keep that seed scoop!!! I have the old round one, they also work very well for getting potting soil out of the bag & in to pots, I will have to get me one of the new ones like I sent you, I just loved it..Happy planting..:)Anita

• raggedyann161420
    15 years ago

Anita, Yes, I love that scoop! my old one broke, and what I was using was a funnel for wide mouth canning jar and a old metal measuring cup that my sister found me at a yard sale. But got to feed those birds! I do it all year round.

Theresa, You package is in the mail. Again, sorry to be so late with it.

LIFE IS GOOD,
    Annie

• nyvoices99
    15 years ago

Oh, I'm bummed:( I just found your ceader wax wing daylily I dug & did not get it in your box, you got burnt on your bird named plant, sorry;(Anita

• raggedyann161420
    15 years ago

Anita, you silly girl, no worries here, I loved my box! You sent above and beyond, you always do.

I did get the plants in the ground today, tomorrow I will start working on the bulbs.

You always send amazing things
    LOVE YA!
    Annie

• Theresa24 (NeFL9a)
    15 years ago

Hi All! I received my wonderful box from Annie today! She sent a plant earlier in the swap but now has sent the rest. A big box full of fun stuff:

a hummingbird feeder
    suet feeder - I didn't have either type of these feeders.
    Jack-o-lantern felt purse full of candle tarts (beautiful scents!)
    a pumpkin "muffin" candle
    a 2009 calendar (didn't have one yet)

Thanks Annie! I do love it all!

Theresa
    a sled sprinkler (always handy)

• dirt_under_my_nails
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Box Update:
    earthly to deb~received
    mellen to remy~received
    wynative to nyvoices~received
    remy to veeja ~received
    dirt to earthly~received
    nyvoices to annie ~received

Well it looks like everyone has recevied there birdie boxes & I can say this swap is now CLOSED. Thanks again to eveyone who joined. Next time I host I'll try to throw in some games or something....
    later...April/dirt

• raggedyann161420
    15 years ago

Theresa, I'm glad the box arrived, and again, sorry for being late with it. I also want to apologize for not including plants, but this month I've been on the road more than I've been at home.

Be sure to know, If you are not 100% satisfied with the things I've included I will/can make it right. I just don't have time to dig for plants, and to be honest, with being so busy I've not had the chance to visit any nurseries to check out their end of the season sales.

Everyone has received some amazing boxes.
    LIFE IS GOOD,
    Annie

P.S. Susie, I've not forgot your tags, I just haven't been to the nursery to pick them up.