Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bonechickchris

Ethnic Favorites! IE and IH September Swap!

bonechickchris
14 years ago

Hello Everyone! This month, there will be just one swap for Icredible Edibles and Incredible Heirlooms. ALL are welcome!

The theme for the swap will be Ethnic favorites! You will swap with your partner, seeds that are of your ethnic heritage and/or your partner's ethnic heritage!

For example, I am mostly Italian, and some Irish. So I would share seeds vegetables/herbs/fruits common to or from Italy and Ireland. You would also find out your partner's ethnic backround and maybe share seeds of their Heritage also.

You and your partner can decide if you just want to share seeds of your own heritage, or share seeds of both your heritage and your partner's heritage.

Signs with go to the 27th of this month. You must send your partner's package out by the 11th of September. We got a little bit of a late start this swap, so that is why the dates are extended a little longer than normal.

When you sign up, please share your ethnic backrounds with us!

Just to list some examples, I will use my heritage.

Italy~ Is a very easy one! You can find lots of seeds from or originating from Italy! Squash, Tomatoes, Basil,Oregano,Peppers, Parsely, Zuchinni, Dandelion,Arugula, and that list goes on!

Ireland~ Well potatoes of course, cabbage, carrots, certain beans, etc.

This one should be a lot of fun!!!!

ps~ I don't know why the title was messed up the first post! Please use this thread!

Comments (12)

• booberry85
    14 years ago

OOOOoooooo! Me! Me! Sign me up!

OK, I'm all Eastern European by heritage (Polish, Ukrainian, Slovak & Austrian.) There's lots of fun tomatoes, peppers, summer squashes, beans, cabbage, kohlrabi (of course!), potatoes,horseradish, beets (love borscht, can't grow beets worth a darn), carrots (again, I can't grow root veggies) and a few other root veggies.

My taste buds and tummy are Italian, Greek and Lebanese. Does that count?

• bonechickchris
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Becky! So far it is me and you! I know there has to be more people out there ready to sign up!

• booberry85
    14 years ago

My luck with root vegetables (or lack there of) continues. This year I tried growing beets and carrots. The carrots were a special hybrid (Short & Sassy? Might be the name,) that was suppose to do well in heavy soils. Not one germinated. It was a commercial pack for this year too. I received some beet seeds from my sister in law and she swore by these. Not one germinated. Last year I grew turnips and they grew! It was the first time the DH & I had had turnips. Yuck! Turns out turnips are not for us! My Mom loves rutabega, but I can't even stand the smell of it.

I haven't tried growing potatoes or horseradish in years. I'd like to try them again. I did have one good year for potatoes. Unfortunately we had a brutal winter the summer after I planted horseradish and critters got to it during the winter.

Why do I bring all these root crops? They are very Eastern European.

• gardencraze
    14 years ago

Hi guys!!!
    I'm lurking this is a great idea. I I'm from the islands so I think too many of my seeds will not grow in your area.
    Plants like papaya, mangos, chayote.sweet potatoe and such.

• luvgardening2
    14 years ago

Count me IN!

I am of Asian Heritage. Chinese on both sides.

I can think of: Asparagus Long Beans, Chinese Cucumbers, Eggplants, LOTS of Oriental Greens, Bitter Melon, Wax Melons and Snow Peas. I am sure there are lots more that I just cannot think of right now.

I LOVE all kinds of different foods so I can be matched up with just about anyone. :o)

Becky, I am far from being an expert and I am not familiar w/ growing in the EAST but have you tried to grow root crops in containers? I have clay soil too and it is next to impossible to grow it in the native soil. I grow mine in Whiskey Barrels and they do very well. I also had a planter built against a west wall and I had all of the soil brought in. I have grown root crops in there and they were fantastic. Just some ideas. Homegrown beets are so YUMMY.

Nancy

• booberry85
    14 years ago

Nancy, that's a great idea. I've only grown radishes in big coffee cans. I've had success with that. Guess I'll be building during the winter!

• bonechickchris
    Original Author
    14 years ago

In so far is

Christy/bonechickchris
    Becky/booberry85
    Nancy/luvgardening2

Lurking
    gardencraze

Where is everyone else????

• highalttransplant
    14 years ago

Well, maybe they are like me, and aren't crazy about the foods from their homeland. I'm of mostly German descent, and I never liked the food. Hated it when my father made sauerkraut and Kielbasa, never cared for German Potato Salad, and my grandmother used to make some cookie, can't remember the name of it, but it had some kind of filling in it, maybe it was a date mixture or something, anyway, didn't like those either, LOL.

I love Italian and Mexican dishes though ...

Bonnie

• dirtdiggin
    14 years ago

lol Bonnie I hear ya on the German cuisine! I'm also German and some Irish and English...can we choose another heritage? LOL Germans are known for beer and sausage...but that won't work, it's tough to empty the vats via USPS lol. So Oktoberfest is out of the question...English like to cook/fry tomatoes.....ew yuk! Well they fry everything....with no flavor but oil...so we could color it green for the Irish lol.

Wish I could join, but just can't work it in. Will be in the midst of two big shows simultaneously. I'll be back for the October Swaps though :) so I do hope there will be plenty of them lol.

• bonechickchris
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You know Bonnie, You don't have to do what you don't like, I can make you an Honarary Italian for the swap! LOL! Seriously, you can still join and share seeds of a nationality that you are fond of.
    Everyone loves Italian seeds, like you say you like them too! You can also share seeds of your partner's nationality if you want too. So don't feel restricted to only the heritage that you are! Feel free to share seeds of nationality that you love to grow food from!

Great to here you are working well Toni! How are your black tomatoes doing? Christy

• dirtdiggin
    14 years ago

Hi Christy,

The tomatoes .... well about 60% of them have survived the deer. DH just put up another 4' above the already 4' fence, so they're not getting in now. And they didn't kill the plants, just nibbled a bunch of them down to stems. They managed to enjoy every ripe tomato I had...unless they were hidden by foliage...GRRRRRR...but I still have a bunch of tomatoes coming on.

Just harvested my first Black Crimson - One from you and oh how delicious...plus I saved seed. Have a bunch of black from Tula almost ripe and harvested one black krim so far. Had a purple russian and have saved the seed from each one I've harvested. I have a load of them coming on now and will have seed to share after harvest.

But there are some seeds on their way to you, of the new blacks.

Toni

• sunnyk
    14 years ago

Oooo make sure to save some of those Black Crimson seeds for the October swap...theme Black and Orange, in the spirit of Halloweenie of course :) And Black Crimson sounds seriously spooky!!!

Sponsored
Suzan Meredith Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Ashburn's Innovative Interior Designers 2x Best of Houzz Winner