Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hummingbirddaisy

UPDATE: Getting to know you monthly swap

hummingbirddaisy
17 years ago

Hi all!

Sorry I have been MIA for a couple of weeks. Have been pretty sick. I received my WONDERFUL box from faithnfrogs.

I will post later what was in the box, but just had to say right now that it was probably one of my most FAVORITE boxes EVER!

I will try and get partners grouped in the next couple of days and get them posted.

Hope all is doing well.

Tina

Comments (74)

• hummingbirddaisy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oops, posted to the other thread! Argh. Either way, looks like both of them are being used regualrly. I will start a new thread once we have everyone signed up and partnered together.

Tina

• beth_b_kodiak
    17 years ago

Tina was there a theme for this month?? Just wondering before I start looking for things to send. I went shopping today both online and in person. Then stopped at my son in law's and picked up some plants. White lilac, a dark clematis and two different passion vines. Quite a lot of loot must be my lucky day!

• hummingbirddaisy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

You know Beth, I can't remember what Aug's theme was.
    How about "Birds and Blooms" as a theme!
    Bring on the ideas! What would YOU ALL like as a theme?
    We will decide on the 16th, as that is when everyone will have their partners name and a new thread will be started.

Tina

• faithinfrogs
    17 years ago

Tina Who am I partnered with for the month of August I looked and I don't think I got a name as of yet? Are you letting us know after the 15th? Birds in Bloom sounds like a great theme and will make the findings for the box alot of fun.

Peace
    Char

• sguanzon
    17 years ago

Tina,

There wasn't really a theme for each month, just a different trading partner so we'd all get to know each other better, I believe. We all filled out questionnaires (I still have a copy) and here's the original instructions of what the box was to contain:

Each month we will send a box containing the following:

1 plant, bulbs or cutting with basic care instructions, suitable for your partners zone.

2 packs of seeds suitable for your partners zone.

1 Garden decoration (birdhouses, signs, flags, feeders, chimes, figurines etc.)

1 sweet treat for your partner such as candy, gum or chocolate (Please notice if your partner is diabetic, PLEASE send labeled sugar free package)

1 small personal item for your partner such as Garden gloves, garden or hobby magazine, desk decorations, small picture frame, hand trowel, something related to a hobby or your partners pets, maybe something homemade. You get the idea.

Sue G.

• faithinfrogs
    17 years ago

Tina Got your package today and I thank you so very much. I love the set of notepads, recipe cards and coupon holder. These will be very useful to me as I collect recipes all the time and always have a never ending grocery list not to mention the "around to it" list for the hubby. The mini "love grows here" plaque on a stick is already in it's home in my plant pot I have in my dining area. It gives that corner just what it's needed to look complete. I also have the perfect location for the "canna" you've sent. Cannas add so much to a garden when it needs height and the blooms are so vibrant. I'll keep ya posted on how it does. The garden tools you enclose will be used plenty as no garden tool here goes unused.

Thanks bunches,
    Peace in playin with nature
    Char

• simplylisa
    17 years ago

Hello everyone, I just wanted to pop in and let everyone know how sorry I am for disappointing everyone. I have not forgotten anyone. All of my boxes and/or trades will be out by Monday. I will post numbers or e-mail you indivivduallllu as I send them. A few of you may have known what happened but Ifear that most did not. Mu dear sweet computer hopeless hubby tried to respond to any e-mails that went through but he also deleted every e-mail whether he had answered it or not so if you have sent me an e-mail regarding anything or even just to say hi in the last few weeks please resend it. For those of you that did not know, I collapsed while working in the garden. According to my doctor I had severely deleted myself through overwork and stress. I had been tryiong to make sure my oldest daughter;s wedding was perfect, along with helping organize and teaching at vacation bible school, not only at my church but also at my mothers and my sister;s. Along with caring for the normal everyday, a very active 4 year old, my other sisters 2 children (1year and 3 years old) and of course trying to save my struggling garden from this horrible 100+ degree heat. We have also been having some money problems that has caused me to really stress out and work extra hours at my AVON business to help make sure we had food on the table. All in all I didn't take care of myself, especially bad since I am an old, out of shape, fat woman. LOL I ended collapsing and was outside, unconscious a good 15-30 minutes before my son found me. I ended up in the hospital for a severe heat stroke, dehydration and a dangerous drop in my blood pressure, caused by the heat stroke. My doctot under protest, she wanted me to stay there much longer, released me Friday nght so that I could attend my daughter's wedding shower Friday night and her beautiful wedding Saturday. I am sorry that I have not posted sooner but her wedding and reception were outside and I probably should not have been out there in the heat. I was only able to really get out bed yesterday and I still feel very weak. I wanted to let you all know that you mean the world to me and I would never cheat any of you on purpose. I will be sending everyone their boxes and trades, it may be slow going because my doctor has warned me to take things very slowly. If you haven't heard from me, either through GardenWeb or e-mail about a box or a trade,by the end of next week please e-mail me and remind me, my doctor says I may have also had something called a mini stroke and my memory is not what it should be. Please bear with me and remember I love you all.

PS I will not be able to participate in August's RR. I am so sorry.

Hugs,
    Lisa & Kayla

• MimiB1
    17 years ago

Lisa, I think that I speak for many when I say we will be keeping really good thoughts for you. Please keep your spirit up and the rest will follow. None of us know when something will literally bring us to our knees. We forget just how fragile the body can be as we push & push to do "just one more thing". Is there anything that I can do to help you? I can put together a substitute box for anyone if need be. Please behave yourself and listen to the Doctor. Your family needs you.

• Debra Andruska
    17 years ago

Lisa,
    Don't worry so much about trades/boxes. Get better, take it easy. Heat stroke is very serious.. I'm so glad your ok. Stress, plus deadly temperatures are disasterous on our bodies. It's been so hot here for weeks, that I'm just watering everything, and running back in. I did try to weed for a few minutes and gave up after 20 minutes. I'm not planting as much next year. My garden looks like a jungle! Not weeds..but huge plants that sort of just mixed together and became one. I've never had plants so big!
    We did have a truckload of new soil added so that must be the reason for the plants abnormally huge size.

If you need any help sending replacement boxes out, please let me know. I'll send a few out for you.

Deb

• hummingbirddaisy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Lisa - Hi sweetie. I can relate as I was in a similar situation in "99". I still have problems from the severity of the heat stroke. Thats why I can't stand the heat, not even for a short period of time. You take it easy, and stay indoors. Your health is so much more important than anything else. If you don't have it, you can't do much else.
    Sending prayers up for you.
    Things will be ok.
    Hugs, Tina

• diene
    17 years ago

Just giving this a bump. diene

• beth_b_kodiak
    17 years ago

Just checking posts and don't see where Mon's Garden has posted that she sent to Diane.
    Sue, Squazon, did you ever receive from Llroyrose???
    Who else is waiting for packages? With no permanant hostess it is difficult to keep track of those who are not fulfilling their commitments. Please post if you have not received your package so we will know.

• sguanzon
    17 years ago

No did not receive. Did not get an acknowledgement that she received mine either, but the conf # USPS says it was delivered. Maybe something happened - ???

• diene
    17 years ago

This message is for Snyder. She wants in but has not posted I do believe. She e-mailed me but when I attempted to respond her ISP told me she was over quota. That sounds like bad news but I hope I am wrong. Anyway, what I had said was "The thread for the next month's swap was started by hummingbirddaisy Tina; It is further down. Did you sign up for that? We have not yet been paired so if you have signed up you need to just wait I guess for the pairing. If you have not signed up, let Tina know. I had agreed to send a package for Kelly since she seems to have too many issues to handle that. I tried to get some info from her partner with no success and finally just put a box together and sent it. That box was for the July swap. Sorry for the confusion. Stay well. diene"

So hopefully Snyder will see this and respond. I have not yet received a box from moms_garden but that is because I asked for something special and she is working on it. I do not worry about people that keep the lines of communication open because that is what this is all about but those people that just disappear make me uncomfortable. Thanks for your concern Beth. Stay well all. diene

• Debra Andruska
    17 years ago

Without a permanet hostess, it is sort of hard to keep track. I did receive a July box from Rosefilly. But, no June box ever showed up from Caperose.

Deb

• faithinfrogs
    17 years ago

Who is my partner this month? Never got an update on who I was suppose to send to this month. Last month I mailed to hummingbirddaisy(tina). Anyone ?

Thanks bunches if someone has a clue as to who my box goes to?

Peace
    Char

• cedarnest
    17 years ago

Oh what a wonderful idea!!I am a newbie here and I would just love to be included in something like this! It would be a great way to get to know everyone.I am always looking for gardening buddies to share my interests with.Please let me know how this works.Looking forward to getting to know all of you.Nancy (cedarnest) cedarnest@midlands.net

• hummingbirddaisy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

This is who Ihave signed up for this months swap. If I've missed someone, please let me know ASAP.

beth b kodiak
    scouttiegirl
    faithinfrogs
    diene
    sguanzon
    snyder
    debbya
    mimib1
    veeja11
    moms gardens

Partners:
    Beth b kodiak sends/receives to faithinfrogs
    scouttiegirl sends/receives to mimib1
    snyder sends/receives to diene
    sguanzon sends/receives to veeja11
    debbya sends/receives to moms gardens

I have to sit this month out do to some personal issues.

Cedarnest, it is to late to sign up for this months swap. Maybe you can join for September.

Sorry for the delay in posting.
    Enjoy each other and have fun!
    Tina

• veeja11
    17 years ago

could I please get a mailing addy and a wish list from Squanzon. thankyou carol

• cedarnest
    17 years ago

Thanks Tina,Thats no problem.I will gladly wait til next month.Thanks Again Tina! Nancy

• faithinfrogs
    17 years ago

I need a mailing address and wish list from beth b kodiak.
    Thank bunches
    faithinfrogs@yahoo.com

Peace
    Char

• Debra Andruska
    17 years ago

I need a mailing address (or email) for moms gardens.

Thanks,
    Deb

• dparker_la
    17 years ago

Hi Tina, Is it too late to sign up for this month? Dee

• snyder
    17 years ago

I sent Dienes box today. The conf# is 0302 2940 0002 0654 2609 Ann

• beth_b_kodiak
    17 years ago

Hi Char, just want to say "you are NOT forgotten". My work schedule is crazy but I went shopping today and found you some cute goodies. I'm not telling what but the box is ready except for the live stuff. I'll dig that Friday and get the box to the PO.
    With luck you should have it early next week.
    BB

• veeja11
    17 years ago

Squanzon your box went out today, I forgot to put seeds in so am sending them seperately box conf # is 03061070000251367256. I hope you like your box should be there by friday.

• diene
    17 years ago

Good Morning Ann;
    Wow can you pack a box. I kept thinking I had hit the bottom and then there was another layer. I received a beautiful picture frame, scented soap, body lotion kit, a crossword puzzle book (I will enjoy this for months). Then there was the candies (several kinds all delicious)and a candle in a jar. Then gardening gloves and gardening magazines as well as a big package of seeds. Then there was a plant in a can (where do you guys find these things?). I had a blast opening it. I had just finished packing Ann's box but became so distracted opening hers that mine is still sitting down on the counter. It will go out today. Confirmation # is 01038555749706592639. I am going to try a different Post Office and see if that works. We shall see. Thanks Ann, it was a blast. diene

• sguanzon
    17 years ago

Thank you Carol! Your box will go out probably Saturday. Thanks!

• moms_garden
    17 years ago

diane,
    I haven't forgotten you..my hubby moved out..so been hectic around here...plus with my daughter starting school this yr.
    I'm still working on something for you, still, lol..will get it out asap, i'm sorry, its late dear!
    sheila

• veeja11
    17 years ago

Beth are the little peppers on the plant you gave me edible? it has maybe 50, I love it. hugs carol

• faithinfrogs
    17 years ago

Thanks for the update beth. I'm working on yours right now and hope to have it to you soon.Will post when it's ready to go so you know when to expect it,OK?

Peace
    Char

• beth_b_kodiak
    17 years ago

Carol, they are edible but HOT, at least to my taste. My plant has dried out a couple times this summer so, though it looks pretty, it does not have nearly that many peppers on it. I expect it will still be looking good at Thanksgiving and I hope to bring mine inside. Maybe it will survive until next summer.??.
    How did you do with all those radishes people sent seeds for? Did they survive the hot weather?? I never planted any.. just too hot and dry since I got here.

• Debra Andruska
    17 years ago

I just emailed Sheila (Momsgarden) and told her that we didn't have to swap this month. She has much more important issues going on, and shouldn't have to worry about preparing a box for me.

Sheila, I'm sure we will be partner's in another swap soon. I hope things get better soon..

Hugs,
    Deb

• sguanzon
    17 years ago

Eeeeeek Eeeeek Eeeeek !!!!! (sguanzon running in circles and squealing!)

I received my wonderful box from Carol (veeja11) and here's what was in it: Applets and Cotelets candies (never heard of them they look delicious!), a wonderful bath set for my DD who is 14, mini-notes shaped like a flip-flop (will go to my daughter also - do they ever wear anything else? - LOL!) the cutest frog sitter I ever saw, a really nice frog candle, and the PLANTS!!!!: Lunar Max Daylily, a Tom Pounce lily, and a Green Goddess Canna.

This box really took my breath away Carol. Thank you so much. Yours is on it's way.

Thanks for a great Getting to Know You month.

• veeja11
    17 years ago

Sue, I am glad you liked your box, I found your gloves and seeds on my desk, so will send them monday. The candy is made close to here, I did not know about it until I received some from another state in a swap box, I liked it so went out and found it. I hope you like it too. hugs carol

• snyder
    17 years ago

I received a very nice box yesterday from Diene. This is what she sent me, A telephone and address book, a ladys journal mag from Maine, 12 minie crunch candy bars, 3 pkts of anti ageing skin care products, one for DH. A big yellow flower stepping stone,a garden sign, a tiger lily, 6 crocus,a cora bell plant and two daylily I love, ones I dont have Thank you Diene very much. I loved it all. Ann

• veeja11
    17 years ago

I received a great box from sue today, a pretty lt blue shawl, a mini book light, 2 pkgs of seeds a cute mini bird house a succulent and what I think is a patchypodium, sharp needles. love it all thankyou squanzon. happy, happy carol

• sguanzon
    17 years ago

So glad you liked it Carol!

• faithinfrogs
    17 years ago

Beth sorry for the delay will get my box to you ASAP. Kids starting school and all preparation, oh what fun, busy, busy, busy lately. Well worth the wait, guaranteed to please. Hope all is well with everyone.

Peace in playin with nature
    Char

• scouttiegirl
    17 years ago

My box went out this morning to mimib1. Hope you like everything. The conf# is 03052710000077466408.
    Heather

• faithinfrogs
    17 years ago

Beth your box went out yesterday tracking # 0304 0370 0001 9116 9073. Enjoy and hope it gets to you soon. I also recieved your wonderful box you sent yesterday afternoon and boy was it a goody. I absolutely love it all. Especially the frog pot pick and the Build a Bear frog, the Super Purple Daylilies, the huge Daffodil bulbs (really good sized), kale seeds (wow), Garden Gate Mag while enjoying the reisens and pretzels, the candles smell great (apple pie, makes me hungry for a trip to the apple orchard for some apples soon) and the pot holders and towel set will go great in the newly remodeled kitchen. I admit it "I Love It All"!! Thanks HUGE BUNCHES for everything and hope that the froggies don't leave home as they give you new opportunities for some great snapshots to post or send me a few (hint, hint)
    Thanks and hope to be hearing from you soon.

Peace in playin with nature,
    Char

• scouttiegirl
    17 years ago

I received the best box from Brenda-mimib1. I received an LA iris-perfect since I am starting on bulbs after concentrating on perennials for so long-a bookmark for reading out on the back porch,a bathset-I just love anything for the bath, and it came with the perfect size body mist spray that I can put in my purse-a fragrant suncatcher, a photo album-perfect again as I just made prints to some of my garden pics(and if anyone has seen my member page, you all know how much I love to take pics of my flowers),a mini watering can that my daughter snagged and put a baby chick in(the plant kind...lol),the perfect plant markers-I needed these as they are the nice ones you can rewrite on, and I need them for the veggies,and the most amazing seed selection and idea for a future kids garden. What a great idea Brenda. I was just pondering over an idea for the kids for next year. I am putting in a space for them connected to the edibles and these are perfect. Brenda sent me an assortment of seeds for an international garden. Just brilliant...my daughter is starting to really enjoy geography and such and this is perfect. The seeds she sent were:chinese bottle gourd,african daisy,italian basil,thai basil,russian sage,italian parsley,and japanes plum. How cool is that.
    Thank you so much Brenda for such a lovely box. I really enjoyed being your partner this month. Please keep me up to date on the happenings down there. My family will continue to keep you in our thoughts as we grow our new garden. Hope you enjoy my box when it arrives. ~Heather

• beth_b_kodiak
    17 years ago

hey Char, glad that you liked the stuff I picked Hope the daylilies do well for you.
    IF we get the rain from this hurricane that they are promising, the frogs will all be swimming again and I'll get pictures of big froggy smiles.

• beth_b_kodiak
    17 years ago

I got home today to two big boxes from Garden Web and one from my daughter in Alaska..... I really hit the jackpot.
    Char, Faithinfrogs sent me so may great goodies I don't know where to begin. She obviously did her homework because she hit all my favorite categories.
    There is a lovely wooden basket in a beehive motif. Very cute and unusual. It will be used to showcase my best houseplant on the DR table. Two teabags and I'm enjoying the mango apple right now. Love mango and this is very tasty. A jar of homemade plum strawberry jelly. Looks good I may try that for my snack tonight.
    A pack of nice plastic plant markers for my house plants. A very cute notepad and matching pen with spotted tiger lilies on it. Nice and cheery. Two packs of morning glory seeds and two nice little pots that I hope will soon hold some of the African violets I'm trying to root.
    There is a darling little USA angel that I'm going to put onto my Alaska sweat shirt.
    Then she went into all my animal friends. A plant stake with a monarch butterfly. It wiggles and jiggles on a spring and will be a bright spot on cold winter days.
    The sweetest little bear in a red sweater. He looks like he might have come from Kodiak for a visit. He's right at home today too with all this rain and wind. I love this guy.
    The frogger sent me a puppy too. Alas, no not a real one but a cutie and he is sitting here looking at me.
    There is a wooden ornament in the shape of Minnesota. I think that will go in with my Christmas decorations. It's just the right size and that way I get to remember you for years and years. LOL
    I got a jointed wooden snowman that goes perfectly with my favorite piece of my snowman collection..... A plaque that says 'fat snowmwn last longer". It has a guy on it that looks so much like the one in this box it is amazing.
    Ahah! a squirrel. He is cute as can be. He'll sit in a flower pot for awhile but he just might hitch hike along when the mighty "Nuts" starts out on his next cross country journey. Char, how did you know.
    There is a candy stick and a book by one of my favorite authors... Patricia Carnwell. A perfect ending for a stormy day, a good mystery story. Thanks Char.
    And now, down to the nitty gritty... I got four different sedums. Wow Wow, fantastic! One, Matrona I've been wishing for for 2 or three years so I'm really glad to get that. I never knew there were so many different types and it looks like I want them all. Thank You a whole bunch!
    Char thanks so much for the wonderful package. Everything is just so "right" I'm delighted that Susie matched us up for this swap.
    I'll be sending you the website for the book exchange AND hopefully soon, some froggy portraits.
    BB

• diene
    17 years ago

Just bumping this one since the old one was reactivated. diene

• MimiB1
    17 years ago

Heather (Scoutiegirl), I am so glad that you enjoyed the contents of your box. I commend you on your work with your children and their gardening. Keep it up! We must encourage our next generation to also be nature lovers. Every time I walk by the plants my grandchildren have helped me work on I am reminded of their cute little hands digging in the dirt with smiles on their faces as big as sunshine! I will let you know when your box arrives. Happy Gardening!

• faithinfrogs
    17 years ago

I am so delighted Beth that you like all the goodies that I sent you and hope that your sedums do well for you as they are some of my favs in my gardens. I look forward to checkin out the book exchange and recieving some frog pics from your pond to add to my collection. Ohhh what fun this is ladies.
    Peace
    Char

• beth_b_kodiak
    17 years ago

A special thanks just for froggie girl

• faithinfrogs
    17 years ago

Thanks Beth the pic is just wonderful and I greatly appreciate it will go into the frog scrapbook immediately.

Thanks bunches,
    Peace
    Char

• MimiB1
    17 years ago

This will be my third attempt to post this....I can't figure out whether it is my computer or the GW site...

I just finished going through the greatest box. Scouttiegirl, you really outdid yourself! I received a Hydrangia Blossom Candle to light this Winter and remind myself that Spring is just around the corner. There's a Wind Chime for me to listen to when I sit on the porch. Included were Copper plant markers to remind me what I planted and where I planted it....(Senior moments come way too often these days). There were labels so that I can send more packages, Ginger Papaya Soap for those long lazy baths (I can dream, can't I?) Also, pretty pink gloves, Malabar Spinach, Blue Salvia, & Tri Colored Sage (luvitluvitluvit)! These were packaged so well that even our Southern Louisiana mail service did not do them in. There were seeds that I cannot wait to try. Look out Winter Sowing! I am sure that I will have lots of questions on how best to germinate these special treasures. Last but not least, there were chocolate covered pretzels AND chocolate mint wafers BOTH of which were sugar free so I can share with Hubby. Heather it was in deed a pleasure to be your partner in this swap. I will be watching for your daughter's garden in the Spring Birds & Blooms Mag. Happy Gardening! Brenda (MimiB)