Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sjc48

new-fotess tell me a story swap!

sjc48
10 years ago

Hi Everyone and welcome to the Sept/Oct. FOTESS
Tell Me A Story Swap!

I know that we haven't finished the August swap yet, but due to the special nature of this swap, I thought I'd get a head start on it.

Back in March/April, I think, we did a Round Robin Poetry swap. It went really well and was enjoyed by all who participated. At the time, Margo suggested that we do it again, only, the next time, write a story instead of a poem. Several of the rest of you thought it was a good idea and so did I! So that's what we'll be doing in September and October!

Once again, I begged Jeanne to contribute her month so we have time for a true round robin. And, if you join in for this swap, you will get a chance to test your writing skills on a different kind of writing - a story.

We'd love to have as many members sign up for this as possible. Everybody is welcome! BUT, in order for a true Round Robin swap to work, everyone who signs up must commit to getting their portion of the Robin out within a day or two of receiving it. If you don't think you can commit to that, you might not want to take part in this swap. Give it some thought, Ladies!

You can sign up until Sept. 2. Margo has already agreed to start our story for us, and I'll mail her the "starter package" on Sept. 3.
And here is what she will do:
1. She will write a VERY SMALL paragraph, 1-3 sentences, to start the story.
2. She'll post it here on the swap site
3. Then she will mail her paragraph; a pen, pencil, small notebook, or something small related to writing; the instructions for the swap and the Flight Path, on to the next person in line.

When that person receives, she will:
1. Take the writing item out and squirrel it away!
2. Post on the site that she has received;
3. Write the next VERY SMALL paragraph of the story and post the entire story on the swap site.
4. Cross her name off the list;

1. Mail her portion of the story**, her small writing related item, the instructions for the swap and the Flight Path for the Robin, on to the next person in line.

**This part is different this time. The entire story will always be on the swap site, no need to copy the whole thing each time it goes out. That could cause some severe writers cramp on down the line! All you will need to mail to the next person is your portion of the story.

And I think we should have a Theme for this story, don't you? And I think we should decide the Theme democratically (sp)! When you sign up, you will vote for one of the following themes. The one with the most votes is IT!!
Themes:
1. Deep in the Haunted Orchard
2. Four Fairies in a Fall Garden
3. The Last Leaf

As soon as the Robin is in flight, I'll be posting an Autumn Bingo!

Any questions? Concerns? Did I forget anything?

Sign-ups start now! Anyone want to "Tell Me A Story"?
Shirley!

This post was edited by sjc48 on Sat, Aug 24, 13 at 17:54

Comments (150)

• poisondartfrog
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Yesterday I received a beautiful calender from Shirley, each page a stunning photograph from her personal collection. Thank you so much Shirley. I'm not sure what I won, but the calender is wonderful and will replace the old one I already have from you above my desk now.
    Again, thank you Shirley. You are a peach, a pearl, a prize.
    Alana

• pinkiris
    10 years ago

I am excited Annie! Waiting patiently over here, lol

Jayeanne

• sjc48
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Alana, the calendar is just a continuation of the one you already have. I've started doing the calendars for Christmas gifts, and thought you might be "running out of time" on your old one, hence your receiving one!

I took 5 out to Staples to get them bound and a small miracle occurred - I asked the girl when I could pick them up, she said to give her a half hour! I was speechless! It usually takes 4-5 days to get them back! Sure hope that's the new policy, not just a new employee who doesn't know the system!

Jayeanne, thanks for posting, we're all waiting too, to see where you take the LAST LEAF!

Got the closets done yesterday, but that in turn provoked a round of dry cleaning and mending. Talk about going in circles!

I'll be back later,
    Shirley!

• sjc48
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And we have a 1st Round Winner in the Triple Whammy Bingo!!

Here's how it fell out:
    The first word I pulled was APPLES, which instantly put Margo and Jayeanne in a two way tie. The second word I pulled was "GARDEN CLEANUP, which Annie needed and that brought the whole thing up to a 3 way tie.

I immediately applied my handy dandy tie breaker and Margo emerged the Winner! If you will bear with me, the tie breaker will be explained momentarily.

But in the meantime, Congratulations, Margo, you are the first round winner and will receive that prize at the end of the swap. You also get 223 points.

Wait a minute - points? What points? She got points? Did the rest of us get points?

Don't anyone panic yet! You all got points. How?

Well, when I listed the Bingo words, I numbered them. As each of you sent me your list, I kept track of what number each word was. For instance, #1 was FALL, so that was one point; #19 was RAKES, which was 19 points, etc., etc., etc. Hope that is clear.

I added everyone's points and here they are. You may want to count yours again, just in case!

Suzanne - 113 points
    Beth - 127 points
    Chelsie - 150 points
    ***Jayeanne - 176 points
    ***Annie - 188 points
    Alana - 199 points
    ***Margo - 223 points
    Katie - 225 points

Can everyone see the tie breaker? Margo had the most points of the three winners.

WHEW!!!!

Okay, on to Round 2!! And remember, EVERYONE IS STILL IN THE GAME!

All you need to do for Round 2 is send me a list of 10 of the Bingo words. It can be the same list as you used in Round 1, or it can be an entirely new list. You have until Thursday to email me your words.

Some helpful hints for Round 2:
    1. Are we playing a round of Bingo, this round? NO!
    2. Will I count points the same way? MAYBE
    3. Will I reverse the numbering of the words? MAYBE
    4. Will the winner double her points in this round, or lose them all? MAYBE
    Be careful how you choose your words!

Congrats, Margo and on to Round 2!
    Shirley!

• smitties
    10 years ago

Wow, I won and didn't even realize I was as close. I was away camping all weekend with my daughter and wasn't able to check my words. Thanks for being so on top of things Shirley.

I did have a good time and although it rained Saturday morning, the rest of the weekend was perfect. I needed it too.

Thanks for all the work you have done Shirley on this swap. You have done a fantastic job as always. Margo

• sandlapper_rose
    10 years ago

Just a quick note to let you know I am home from the hospital. Surgery was 5 hours instead of 2 so I got a bit more surgery than anticipated, but I am doing well. Thanks for your thoughts, well wishes, and prayers.
    I'll be back online soon to see what everyone has been up to this month and check out your wonderful story!
    Jeanne

• sjc48
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jeanne, good to hear you are home and doing well. Thanks for posting. Stay in touch, please!

We're on to the 2nd round of Triple Whammy Bingo. Email me your new or old list of 10 words by Thursday. Remember, EVERYONE is still in the game!

Hopefully, we'll hear from Jayeanne in the next few days with the latest installment of The Last Leaf!

Have a great day tomorrow!
    Shirley!

This post was edited by sjc48 on Mon, Sep 23, 13 at 20:28

• pinkiris
    10 years ago

The Last Leaf has arrived from Annie! Annie sent along 2 sheets of labels, a beautiful notecard and 2 packets of seeds - Calendula 'Kablouna Lemon' and Snapdragon 'Orange Wonder' Thank you so much Annie!

and so ......The Last Leaf....continues on!

A woman walks through a forest of tall trees. A cool breeze is blowing as the summer comes to a close. The trees begin to shiver as a squirrel scurries through on a hunt for the bountiful harvest from the nut trees. A single leaf falls.

The woman raises her eyes skyward, to learn the source of the falling leaf, the largest she has ever seen. She is delighted to discover it is from a rare and beautiful native, the Bigleaf Magnolia. Suddenly, something else catches her eye.

As she paused, looking up at the tree, Lucille realized that it was much colder than it had been when she parked the truck at the trailhead. Looking west she could see thick grey clouds flying ahead of the wind. "I better head back and check on the animals," The woman said to herself. As she turned and headed back down the trail, an Elvish figure stepped away from the tree, smiled, and nodded his head.

For several seconds, she screamed in awesome fear. Then a quiet, comforting peace consumed her in to a devoted trance. She could not speak. She could not move. Lucille’s paralyzed body fell to the soft earth. The short, rather ugly, non-human like being approached her. He stooped down on to his knees, ever so close to her now frail body. She saw his ears were not ears but luscious golden veined, red leaves. She smiled. His distorted fingers caringly closed her eyes and then he took her hands in to his.

Butterflies in a myriad of colors flutter past Lucille's frail body. Enchanting objects flying around like little pixies. Lucille gently reopens her eyes to a magical forest. Dancing pink magical mushrooms wander this forest in very operatic voices. Where am I, she cries?? A faint cackle taunts her in the distance. She frantically looks down and remembers nothing but that mysterious single leaf.

I am ready to mail out in the am, but i need an address please.
    Had a lot of fun with this! Jayeanne

• pinkiris
    10 years ago

Robin in VA

Could you please send me your address, it is ready to head your way =)

thank you!
    Jayeanne

• sjc48
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Excellent, Jayeanne! Very nice touch of fantasy! Should be interesting to see where Robin takes this!

I've received an email from Jayeanne about her words for the 2nd round of Triple Whammy Bingo. Anyone else? You have until Thursday to let me know.

My New England Asters are FINALLY blooming, thought I'd share a pic.
    Have a great day tomorrow,
    Shirley!

• kchd
    10 years ago

Good to hear from you, Jeanne. Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Jayeanne, great addition to the story! Can't wait to see what Robin writes next.

Love those asters, Shirley! Amazingly, mine are wrapping up blooming, and I am starting to collect seed from them. I've been collecting seeds from the natives like crazy lately.

Katie

• canyonwind
    10 years ago

Jayeanne....Oh my....dancing pink (of course) magical mushrooms with operatic sound no less!!! I want to go their!!!! I want to go their now. Very soothing scenerio!

Shirley, I have been out of town for a few days. I will email my BINGO words for round 2 tomorrow.

And congrats Margo on your round one win!

Jeanne, so happy the surgery went well. Please do take good care of yourself. There is only one YOU.

Shirley, wonderful swap, once again. Thanks so much for all the fun!

Annie

• poisondartfrog
    10 years ago

Speedy recovery, Jeanne!
    Pinkiris, I think I was in Lucille's world too, once, back in the 70's.
    Fun game, Shirley, as usual.

• beth_b_kodiak
    10 years ago

Jeanne, take care and have speedy and uneventful recovery.
    shirley, the Asler is very pretty. Did you grow it from WS seeds?
    Katie, are you planning to share/swap seeds?
    Shirley, I'll just stick with the words I have.
    Bethb

• sjc48
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Beth, yes, I WSed the NEAs. Two years in a row, now I'm overrun with them, but that's not necessarily a bad thing!

Katie, I want to collect seed from these too. Just hope they don't get hit with a frost first! Did yours get tall?

Good one, Alana!

I have heard from Annie, Beth, Suzanne, Margo and Alana about their Bingo words. The deadline is Thursday evening.

And here's an update on where the Last Leaf is:
    1. Margo sent the opening paragraph to KATIE in Mississippi;

2. Katie received it and sent to BETH in Missouri;

3. Beth received and sent to ANNIE in California;

4. Annie received and sent the story all the way back across the country to JAYEANNE in Rhode Island;

5. Jayeanne received and has sent to ROBIN in Virginia;

6. Robin sends to SHIRLEY in Michigan;

7. Shirley sends to SUZANNE in Ohio;

8. Suzanne sends to ALANA in Kentucky,
    who will finish the story for us!

Good Grief, my turn is coming up, quicker than I thought It would!
    Have a great day tomorrow, ALL!
    Shirley!

This post was edited by sjc48 on Wed, Sep 25, 13 at 20:57

• pinkiris
    10 years ago

Hi Shirley I thought i emailed you but maybe it didnt go through, Ill keep the same words as I had before.

Jayeanne

• robin1962_2008
    10 years ago

Wow,This is soo much fun!! I`m ready when the story reaches me. I`m sorry I missed the Bingo game though!!!
    Robin

• sjc48
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jayeanne, you're right, you DID email your words, Sorry!
    Chelsie, got your list too!

Robin, there will always be another Bingo! And I can't wait to see where you take the Last Leaf!

Bedtime!
    Shirley!

• sjc48
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Everyone!

I'm back down in Kettering for the weekend; the kids are headed back to NC in the morning and I get to take care of the girls! Fun times ahead!

I've received ( I think) everyone's instructions on their bingo words for round 2, and if you didn't email me, I'll just use the words you already have. And I will be back sometime tomorrow with a winner for this round! That's right, Round two will be over almost as soon as it got started!

Round 3 promises to be a doozy!

Robin, don't stress over getting the Last Leaf out, I won't be home until Sunday anyway!
    Talk to ya all tomorrow!
    Shirley!

• sandlapper_rose
    10 years ago

I stopped by to read the story and it's wonderful! I hope eveyone has a good weekend.
    Jeanne

• sjc48
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jeanne, good to hear from you, how is the recovery progressing? Isn't the story great?! Can't wait to hear Robin's addition!

And speaking of Robin, HI, Robin, have you received the Last Leaf yet?

And now for the moment you've all been waiting on, TA DA!!

The winner of Round Two of our Triple Whammy Bingo is:
    Annie, with 92 points!

So, how did she get those points? Well, I simply counted all the letters in her words, same as I did for everyone, and Annie had the most! Congrats, Annie, you win Round Two and will receive that prize at the end of the swap!

Here's how it all fell out:
    Annie - 92
    Suzanne - 90
    Chelsie - 80
    Margo - 78
    Alana - 78
    Katie - 76
    Jayeanne - 76
    Beth - 67

And here is your "point spread" !(# of points from both rounds)
    Katie - Total of 305 points
    Margo - Total of 301 points
    Annie - Total of 280 points
    Alana - Total of 277 points
    Jayeanne - Total of 252 points
    Chlesie - Total of 230 points
    Suzanne - Total of 203 points
    Beth - Total of 194 points

We're going to take a break for the weekend, and I'll post Round Three on Monday. This one will be your "defining" moment, ladies!
    Remember: EVERYONE IS STILL IN THE GAME, to the bitter end!!
    Have a great Saturday!
    Shirley!

• kchd
    10 years ago

Congrats to Margo & Annie for being the winners of the first 2 rounds!!

Beth - yes ma'am, I do plan to share & swap many of my seeds. Some of my plants have produced sooooo many seeds. For example, my Liatris pyncnostachya has produced enough seeds to fill a gallon-sized ziplock bag full (granted, the seeds do still have their achenes attached, those little fluffy parachutes that aid in wind dispersal). I've been trying to keep up with my "have to trade" list.... but it still needs some serious updating.

Shirley, my NEAs gave me a profusion of blooms this year, but they were nowhere near as tall as yours. I think mine were a max height of 4 ft, although once they flopped over, I left them flopped and did not stake them up. It worked out, they still looked bushy flopped over. Next year, I will prune mine back by 1/3 in early June.

Now, what in the world will Robin do with the next part of the story?!?!

• sjc48
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey Everyone!
    Home safe and sound, rained the whole way but not enough to keep me out of the fast lane. Really wanted to get home!

Katie, I was wondering about pruning them back, seems like a game plan to keep them from getting so tall. Mine are in full bloom right now and just gorgeous! The bees are loving it. And can I get a good shot? No, the angles are all wrong and the dying Sneezeweeds are in most of the pic. Drat. Might have to crop a few of these!

Hopefully we'll hear from Robin soon. I will be back tomorrow evening with Round Three of Bingo. You'll be doing definitions of the bingo words. I'm trying for 20 words, but so far it's only 14. Will try harder!

Until then,
    Have a great Monday!
    Shirley!

• canyonwind
    10 years ago

Curiosity is building...................

So concerned about Lucille and the mysterious leaf!!

And Shirley, definititons of the bingo words...interesting!

Happy Monday!

Annie

• sjc48
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Evening All!
    Annie, it was interesting, to say the least, to find 20 definitions that didn't give the word away at first glance!

But I did and here are your definitions for the third and final round of Triple Whammy Bingo!

1. Jennifer Lawrence

2. The Earl of Strathmore's daughter

3. One of Frank Lloyd Wright's homes

4. Caused by a dead faint, while standing up

5. A piece of false hair

6. Awkwardly moving to a lower level

7. An Irish word that means "beloved"

8. A historic area in London

9. Not crying for me

10. Qu Venzhane Wallis

11. traditional happening at a Guy Fawkes Day celebration

12. Drink served at summertime tea parties

13. Very wealthy, New York based family

14. Dissolute men about town

15. Never ending activity

16. Easy give and take

17. Famous ballerina

18. A blue bird on the Princess Royal's hat

19. Herbstmonat

20. Rufescent going away

These words are all on the original list. Email me your answers by Thursday evening. I'll announce the winner on Friday. If you can't guess all the words, send what you have guessed. Every word counts, so get your dictionaries out, folks!

I too am getting concerned about Lucille and that leaf. But we still have plenty of time. Maybe we'll hear from Robin tomorrow!

Have a great evening!
    Shirley!

• robin1962_2008
    10 years ago

Our story has arrived along with a pack of colored ink pens and post it notes!!! I`ll send it on to Shirley on Wednesday!!!!

THE LAST LEAF
    A woman walks through a forest of tall trees. A cool breeze is blowing as the summer comes to a close. The trees begin to shiver as a squirrel scurries through on a hunt for the bountiful harvest from the nut trees. A single leaf falls.

The woman raises her eyes skyward, to learn the source of the falling leaf, the largest she has ever seen. She is delighted to discover it is from a rare and beautiful native, the Bigleaf Magnolia. Suddenly, something else catches her eye.

As she paused, looking up at the tree, Lucille realized that it was much colder than it had been when she parked the truck at the trailhead. Looking west she could see thick grey clouds flying ahead of the wind. "I better head back and check on the animals," The woman said to herself. As she turned and headed back down the trail, an Elvish figure stepped away from the tree, smiled, and nodded his head.

For several seconds, she screamed in awesome fear. Then a quiet, comforting peace consumed her in to a devoted trance. She could not speak. She could not move. Lucille’s paralyzed body fell to the soft earth. The short, rather ugly, non-human like being approached her. He stooped down on to his knees, ever so close to her now frail body. She saw his ears were not ears but luscious golden veined, red leaves. She smiled. His distorted fingers caringly closed her eyes and then he took her hands in to his.

Butterflies in a myriad of colors flutter past Lucille's frail body. Enchanting objects flying around like little pixies. Lucille gently reopens her eyes to a magical forest. Dancing pink magical mushrooms wander this forest in very operatic voices. Where am I, she cries?? A faint cackle taunts her in the distance. She frantically looks down and remembers nothing but that mysterious single leaf.
    Lucille looks around to the new magical world she has found herself in.There are flowers of all different colors,fairies flying to and fro and all of a sudden she realizes she is a fairy,with wings and all of the mixed hues of a leaf colors in autumn!!! But she wants to go home to her animals and has a feeling that mysterious leaf is her only link to finding her way home.but how can she find the leaf? The leaves she sees here are the beautiful colors of autumn.The mysterious leaf was green!!

• canyonwind
    10 years ago

Lucille is a fairy now!!!!! Holy tornado! I would have never thought Lucille would form wings! LOVE it Robin! I must say, I am still worried about Lucille...and her animals!

Shirley, I have my work cut out for me with your English (kind of) vocabulary class assignment....OH MY!

Annie

• sjc48
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry, Annie! Didn't want to make them too obvious. But I know you can do it, persevere, Girl, persevere! Did I spell that right?

And Robin! VERY nice! Although I'm not so sure I like the idea of Lucille being a fairy - I get the feeling she isn't too happy about that -I'll have to work on it!

I'll do my best to post the next installment tomorrow night, if not then, definitely on Thursday.

I finally figured out how to collect Tithonia seeds. It's a little hard on the fingars, but I certainly won't have to buy those seeds next year!

Have a great day tomorrow, All!
    Shirley!

• kchd
    10 years ago

Wow, Robin really took this story into the next dimension, didn't she? It's getting more & more exciting.

Hmmm, Shirley, these definitions look hard!! I better start thinking about them!

I've got bowls and bins of seeds spread all over the table, drying before packing them up to be stored. I think my husband grudgingly accepts this as his fate for living with a plant nerd. Haha

well, DH and I were sent home thanks to the gov't shutdown today. Wonder how long we'll get to go with no income. Pppppffffttttt! (insert loud fart sound here).

• sjc48
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Katie, hope you don't have to go too long, that's the pits!

I collected more seeds than ever, this year. It takes me a while to get the hang of it! And the nice part is, I can use most of them for swaps, not needing anymore myself!

Off to bed,
    Shirley!

• sjc48
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Everyone!
    I worked 8 to 6 today, am BEAT! I'll post the next installment of the Last Leaf tomorrow evening. Also, I'll give you all until Friday to send in your definitions.

Also wanted to share this pic. I found two of these little guys on the New England Asters today. I looked tho all my books and checked online, and I think this is a Common Sulphur caterpillar. Or it could be a Cabbage White. They have been swarming the NEAs. Posted this pic over on the Butterfly forum, maybe someone over there can tell me for sure. Does anyone here know?

Going to bed now!
    Shirley!

• sjc48
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Home at 4 today, much better!

The caterpillar pictured above is an Asteroid, a diurnal moth, brown, about the size of a Cabbage White, that feasts on goldenrod, asters and other fall flowering plants. Many thanks to Misssherry over on the BF forum for the ID. I never think to look at the moth sections of the books.

And as promised, here's the next installment of the Last Leaf!

THE LAST LEAF

Lucille looks around to the new magical world she has found herself in.There are flowers of all different colors,fairies flying to and fro and all of a sudden she realizes she is a fairy,with wings and all of the mixed hues of a leaf colors in autumn!!! But she wants to go home to her animals and has a feeling that mysterious leaf is her only link to finding her way home.but how can she find the leaf? The leaves she sees here are the beautiful colors of autumn.The mysterious leaf was green!!

Lucille slumped down in a slough of despair. "Oh, what to do, what to do," she cried. "Not a fairy! I don't even know how to fly - nor do I want to learn! I want to go home!"
    She stood up and looked around at the colorful landscape and all the fluttering, singing beings. "This is all very pretty, albeit a bit garish. But pretty as it is, it is still just a bit creepy. These pink mushrooms are really getting on my nerves." She wandered a few paces down the path. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw what appeared to be a moving forest! As it came closer, she saw it was a whole group of the little Elvish figures, chanting " Where is the Last Leaf?" over and over. In addition to ears that looked like leaves, their bodies looked barky, with knot holes, and their arms were very twiggy. "Gee," thought Lucille, "if I find the Last Leaf for them, maybe they'll tell me how to get out of here!"

Suzanne, I'll mail the Leaf on to you as soon as I receive from Robin. Probably this weekend. Would love to have Lucille get home to feed the animals, at some point!

Tomorrow evening is the deadline for sending me your definitions. Hope you are all having luck with them!

Off to fold laundry,
    Shirley!

• canyonwind
    10 years ago

Shirley.....to darn funny! Oh my, now there is a group of these beings. I wonder if these barky, knot holed bodies with twiggy arms are going to take over the Universe? They seriously want "The Last Leaf"!!! Good Luck Lucille! Good Luck sweet animals!

And Shirley, emailing you "round three" this morning. Not happy with my results but it was fun....learned a few things!

Happy Friday!

Annie

• kchd
    10 years ago

Just emailed my "round 3" guesses to Shirley. LOL, many of them were complete guesses because I was at a total loss. Hahah!

Well, since we're still furloughed, DH and I decided to go fishing. Found some nice natives along the river, a buckeye caterpillar on some Agalinis, and a little ole cottonmouth. He was quite colorful and striking, lol.

Katie

• sjc48
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Everyone!
    Came home from work at 4 and went back in at 5, home for good at 8. It's been a LONG week.

Katie, striking as in "pretty" or "at you"? You know which one I'm thinking of!

Annie, glad you like the addition to the story, I just felt Lucille wouldn't want to remain a fairy for the rest of her life!

I received answers to Round Three from Annie, Suzanne and Katie. I'm going to give the rest of you until Sunday to send your answers in, if you'd like. Sorry they are so difficult, altho, Suzanne and Katie, you both guessed Jennifer Lawrence! That one made me chuckle!

Suzanne, I probably won't receive from Robin until Monday. If you are ready to post the next installment, go right ahead. Then send it on to Alana. I'll mail your writing giftie on Monday. If you want to take the weekend to write your portion, that's fine too. We've ended up with lots of time! No Hurry!

I'm saying many and varied prayers that next week at work is absolutely nothing like this one was; heading for bed!
    Shirley!

• smitties
    10 years ago

Happy Friday all. I just wanted to stop in and post something. I did something similar on the other swaps. I feel very strong about it.

To all my Gardenweb friends, since this is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, I want to remind all of you that are due for your mammogram to be sure to get it each year. Because my friend is a procrastinator and waited four years to get hers, she is about to start chemo. She has been diagnosed Stage 2 breast cancer. I took her to the hospital today to have a port put in. She will have 7 months of chemo then surgery to remove the tumor, then more months of chemo and radiation. It is so hard to see her going through this and it hasn't even begun yet. I just feel it is important to remind all of you in hopes of keeping someone from ever having to go through this. I should also mention my mom is a breast cancer survivor due to early detection.

Margo

• robin1962_2008
    10 years ago

Thanks Margo for the reminder !! It is sooo important to get our yearly mammograms!!!!
    The LAST LEAF is on the way to Shirley!!!

• poisondartfrog
    10 years ago

Uh oh-getting close!!!

• hibiscusfan -Northwest Ohio
    10 years ago

The story hasn't arrived yet but I'll try to help Lucille out a little.

THE LAST LEAF

Lucille slumped down in a slough of despair. "Oh, what to do, what to do," she cried. "Not a fairy! I don't even know how to fly - nor do I want to learn! I want to go home!"
    She stood up and looked around at the colorful landscape and all the fluttering, singing beings. "This is all very pretty, albeit a bit garish. But pretty as it is, it is still just a bit creepy. These pink mushrooms are really getting on my nerves." She wandered a few paces down the path. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw what appeared to be a moving forest! As it came closer, she saw it was a whole group of the little Elvish figures, chanting " Where is the Last Leaf?" over and over. In addition to ears that looked like leaves, their bodies looked barky, with knot holes, and their arms were very twiggy. "Gee," thought Lucille, "if I find the Last Leaf for them, maybe they'll tell me how to get out of here!"

As the chanting of the Elvish figures grew louder Lucille trembled. What to do, stay and talk to them or run and hide. Although she wanted to hide she deceided to stay as they might know how she can find her way home. Soon they circled around Lucille chanting "where is the last leaf." Lucille asked," can you please help me find my way home." "No," said the biggest and angriest creature, we want the last leaf. "Why are you looking for the last leaf ," asked Lucille. The smallest one stepped forward and said," Our mother, Mrs. Maganolia said we cannot sleep until the last leaf falls and we are getting very tired as we have been swaying in the wind since last spring. Just then the large angry creature said, "I bet she is hiding the last leaf, lets go get her."

Alana, I'll send the package on after I get it. Have fun!!!
    I did. .

• sjc48
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Very Good, Suzanne! More suspense! Nice tie in to the Magnolia tree, waaayy back at the beginning of the story!

Alana, it's all up to you now!

And it's time to put an end to this endless Bingo game! But before I announce the winner of Round Three, here are the answers to Round Three. Sorry this was so hard!

1. Jennifer Lawrence - falling star

2. The Earl of Strathmore's daughter - Elizabeth (Beth)

3. One of Frank Lloyd Wright's homes - falling water

4. Caused by a dead faint, while standing up - falling over

5. A piece of false hair - fall

6. Awkwardly moving to a lower level - falling down

7. An Irish word that means "beloved" - Alannah (Alana)

8. A historic area in London - Chelsea (Chelsie)

9. Not crying for me - Suzanne - "Oh, don't you cry for me"

10. Qu Venzhane Wallis - Annie

11. traditional happening at a Guy Fawkes Day celebration - bonfires

12. Drink served at summertime tea parties - squash

13. Very wealthy, New York based family - Astors - asters

14. Dissolute men about town - rakes

15. Never ending activity - garden clean up

16. Easy give and take - simple swaps

17. Famous ballerina - Margot Fonteyn (Margo)

18. A blue bird on the Princess Royal's hat - Jayeanne

19. Herbstmonat - September

20. Rufescent going away- red leaves.

And the winner of Round Three of Triple Whammy Bingo is: TADA!! Katie! She got 12 of the twenty definitions right. Suzanne was close with 10. Annie had 7 right.
    Congrats, Katie!

Our Three winners for the Triple Whammy Bingo are:
    Margo - Rnd 1
    Annie - Rnd 2
    Katie - Rnd 3

Katie, Suzanne and Annie got points, figured the same as round one, for this round. And here are the total points for All!
    Beth - 194
    Alana - 277
    Chelsie - 230
    Jayeanne - 252
    Suzanne - 284
    Margo - 301
    Annie - 354
    Katie - 429

And it looks like Katie is the Grand Prize winner! Congrats again, Katie!

Ladies, thanks to all for playing! I will have your prizes out sometime this month, as soon as work slows down and I can actually take a lunch break!

Wonder how Alana will finish the Last Leaf? Will Lucille ever get home? Does she remain a fairy? Does she find the Last Leaf? We'll soon find out!

Talk to ya all tomorrow,
    Have a great Monday, if such a thing there is!
    Shirley!

• poisondartfrog
    10 years ago

THE LAST LEAF by FOTESS

As the chanting of the Elvish figures grew louder Lucille trembled. What to do, stay and talk to them or run and hide. Although she wanted to hide she deceided to stay as they might know how she can find her way home. Soon they circled around Lucille chanting "where is the last leaf." Lucille asked," can you please help me find my way home." "No," said the biggest and angriest creature, we want the last leaf. "Why are you looking for the last leaf ," asked Lucille. The smallest one stepped forward and said," Our mother, Mrs. Maganolia said we cannot sleep until the last leaf falls and we are getting very tired as we have been swaying in the wind since last spring. Just then the large angry creature said, "I bet she is hiding the last leaf, lets go get her."

Lucille tries to turn away as the largest creature approaches, but finds it difficult to move. Pain knifes through her skull as the fading light penetrates the twin slits of her eyelids and her vision is clouded in gouts of red fog. She puts her hand to her head and it comes away sticky. As she strives for lucidity, warm breath bathes her cheek and she hears snuffling. A gray horse is standing above her just on the other side of a fence she had not noticed earlier. Fully awake now, Lucille realizes that she is lying on the ground and begins to assess the damage. On her forehead a large bloody lump throbs with every heartbeat, but nothing seems broken. Near her foot a twisted root tells the story of her fall even if she can't recall the accident. Struggling to get up, she remembers the menacing creatures from her unconscious fantasy and chides herself for her vivid imagination. Brushing away twigs and leaves clinging to her clothes, she makes her way back to the truck, again passing the Bigleaf Magnolia. It is bare. "Was there one large leaf there before, one that fell?", she asks herself as she climbs into the driver's seat. Her eyes scan the forest's edge as she tries to reconcile her memory of trees just beginning their transition from summer to fall with the reality of the nearly leafless spectacle before her. Everything about her adventure is becoming a little hazy as she tries to piece together the afternoon's events. On the drive home she decides to feed the animals quickly and drive to the ER to be checked for concussion. When she slides gingerly out of the truck so as not to reawaken the pain in her head, she does not notice the debris that falls from her hair. Green, perfect, vibrant and pulsing with life, it is the last leaf.

the end

• beth_b_kodiak
    10 years ago

WOW! and wow again. I love it!
    knew it would be fun but never expected to to be so GOOD too.
    This was a totally new thing for me but I loved it and hope to try this again.
    Great work everybody and many thanks to Shirley.

• canyonwind
    10 years ago

Suzanne and Alana, love your finishing touches to "The Last Leaf". This was really lots of fun!!!! We must do this again!!

Katie and Suzanne, congratulations on 1st and 2nd in round three......Katie, Bravo for winning it all!!!!!

Shirley, thanks so much for all the entertainment and for once again, planning an awesome and creative FOTESS swap!

Happy Monday!

Annie

• sjc48
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey Everyone!
    The Monday work day is over and it wasn't as bad as anticipated, but bad enough, very glad to be home again!

Robin! Thank you so much for the Pens! One of my co-workers has this set and I have coveted them for a long time! But no longer, Thank You! and for the little notebook too!

Suzanne, your giftie is on it's way, hope you like!

Beth and Annie, thanks for the kind words. I too love this sort of thing. We are all so creative! It seems a shame not to use that creativity. The story was great, VERY well written by all!

Thank you to everyone for contributing and for keeping the Robin going in a timely manner. What a great group you are!

One of the things I liked most was not knowing what was coming next. For the life of me, I couldn't figure out how Alana was going to get Lucille home AND deal with the last leaf too, not to mention all those little elfies!

Alana, your ending was totally unexpected! How simple was that?! My scenarios had Lucille lost forever, all the animals dying of thirst and the Last Leaf brown and withered away to nothing! ! Great writing and a beautiful ending!

But was it really? An ending? Am I wrong or did Alana leave an opening for the story to continue? A Chapter Two, maybe? We still have almost the whole month of October. If anyone is interested, we could write Chapter two here on the swap site. I'll see what I can come up with, after dinner, and we'll take it from there.

Back Later!
    Shirley!

• smitties
    10 years ago

Great ending. Everyone did a terrific job. Thanks Shirley, it was lots of fun. Margo

• hibiscusfan -Northwest Ohio
    10 years ago

This was such a fun swap and everyone did a great job. Alana you need to write stories, such a good ending!

• sjc48
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay, since we have the rest of the month to go, before Jeanne posts the November FOTESS swap, I'd like to try writing Chapter Two of the Last Leaf!

We'll post here on the swap site, anyone can add to the story at any time. Or you can sit back and relax and enjoy Chapter Two! It's up to you!

If you decide to add to the story, please check here first, so you'll know what is going on. Also, cut and paste is a good way to avoid typer's cramp!

I'd also like to extend an invitation to all of our other FOTESS members to join in the fun!

We'd love to hear from: Jeanne, Ellie, Heidi, Vina, Ruth, Corrine, Michelle, Sharon 1 from MI, Sharon 2 from MI, Peggy, Becky, Rena, Melinda, Dianne, Kelli, Keyla, Mandy, and Lisa.

Ladies, come on out and share the fun, add something to the story or just let us know if you are enjoying it.

And if it's okay, Alana, we'll have you finish for us again, somewhere close to the end of the month!

And here's the start of Chapter Two:

Lucille climbed wearily up the back porch steps and sank gratefully down onto the glider.
    "Well, the animals are all taken care of and bedded down for the night," she thought, "Now I need to get a load of laundry started and pay some bills, then it's bedtime for me!"
    Looking around, she noticed her geraniums needed watering and ......"Oh, drat, didn't I just sweep this proch this morning?"
    Sweeping in a hurry, Lucille didn't notice the scraps of tiny wings, twigs and bark, and one last, perfect, vibrantly green leaf, entangled in all the debris.
    Hurrying inside, she decided to put the laundry off for another day, but..."I really need to pay the electric bill. Where is the checkbook? I put it in my purse this morning before I went for my walk, shoot, I left it in the truck....no...I brought everything in...it's not in the....."
    Lucille freezes in place, shocked and remembering.

If no one adds to the story by Wednesday, I'll add another portion. BUT I'm hoping to hear from some of the rest of you!

Unlike Lucille, I can now get ready for bed!
    Shirley!

• robin1962_2008
    10 years ago

What an amazing end to our chapter and a hint of another chapter to come!!! I LOVE IT!!!!!

• kchd
    10 years ago

I won?!? holy, moly, that's great! And unexpected!! Shirley, you did a great job putting all those rounds together. Thanks so much for being such a great hostess, as always.

Margo, your note about breast cancer screening hits close to home for me, and I couldn't agree more! On my maternal side of the family, breast cancer runs deep. It has surfaced in every generation going back for 4 generations. My great great grandmother, my great-grandmother, my great aunt, and my mom's first cousin are all breast cancer survivors. I get my annual exams every single year like clockwork, because early detection is so crucial. Lucky me, at age 35, I received my first mammogram this year. whoohoo, LOL.

Alana, wonderful ending to the story! This story has been so very entertaining, and I've loved the anticipation of wondering what would happen next. Chapter 2? Heck YES! Looking forward to reading more about Lucille.

Still on furlough, but the weather has been beautiful and I can always find ways to occupy my time. I keep telling my husband that this is what it's gonna be like when we retire. Haha!

• sjc48
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Morning ALL! Happy Tuesday!

Katie, how does a furlough differ from a lay-off?

I'm going to open a new thread, Everybody, post on the Last Leaf ll.

Have a great day,
    Shirley!