Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum

o
new-fotess tell me a story swap!

Posted by sjc48 5 Michigan (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 24, 13 at 17:42

Hi Everyone and welcome to the Sept/Oct. FOTESS
Tell Me A Story Swap!

I know that we haven't finished the August swap yet, but due to the special nature of this swap, I thought I'd get a head start on it.

Back in March/April, I think, we did a Round Robin Poetry swap. It went really well and was enjoyed by all who participated. At the time, Margo suggested that we do it again, only, the next time, write a story instead of a poem. Several of the rest of you thought it was a good idea and so did I! So that's what we'll be doing in September and October!

Once again, I begged Jeanne to contribute her month so we have time for a true round robin. And, if you join in for this swap, you will get a chance to test your writing skills on a different kind of writing - a story.

We'd love to have as many members sign up for this as possible. Everybody is welcome! BUT, in order for a true Round Robin swap to work, everyone who signs up must commit to getting their portion of the Robin out within a day or two of receiving it. If you don't think you can commit to that, you might not want to take part in this swap. Give it some thought, Ladies!

You can sign up until Sept. 2. Margo has already agreed to start our story for us, and I'll mail her the "starter package" on Sept. 3.
And here is what she will do:
1. She will write a VERY SMALL paragraph, 1-3 sentences, to start the story.
2. She'll post it here on the swap site
3. Then she will mail her paragraph; a pen, pencil, small notebook, or something small related to writing; the instructions for the swap and the Flight Path, on to the next person in line.

When that person receives, she will:
1. Take the writing item out and squirrel it away!
2. Post on the site that she has received;
3. Write the next VERY SMALL paragraph of the story and post the entire story on the swap site.
4. Cross her name off the list;
5. Mail her portion of the story**, her small writing related item, the instructions for the swap and the Flight Path for the Robin, on to the next person in line.

**This part is different this time. The entire story will always be on the swap site, no need to copy the whole thing each time it goes out. That could cause some severe writers cramp on down the line! All you will need to mail to the next person is your portion of the story.

And I think we should have a Theme for this story, don't you? And I think we should decide the Theme democratically (sp)! When you sign up, you will vote for one of the following themes. The one with the most votes is IT!!
Themes:
1. Deep in the Haunted Orchard
2. Four Fairies in a Fall Garden
3. The Last Leaf

As soon as the Robin is in flight, I'll be posting an Autumn Bingo!

Any questions? Concerns? Did I forget anything?

Sign-ups start now! Anyone want to "Tell Me A Story"?
Shirley!

This post was edited by sjc48 on Sat, Aug 24, 13 at 17:54

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new-fotess tell me a story swap!

I like it. Sign me up please.
All three of those ideas would be fun. I think I will vote for
3. The Last Leaf

o

Hi Shirley, time for me to start getting creative thoughts going. I am going to think about all three themes so I have something for each when the vote is finished.

Obviously you already know I am in on this but wanted to put my vote in. I am voting for

2. Four fairies in a Fall Garden.

I will watch for the Bingo words. It is my favorite game.

Thanks Jeanne for your contribution. Margo

o

Shirley, I want to play, I want to play!!!!

Decisions....I will vote for
1. Deep in the Haunted Orchard

I need my BINGO fix..have not played in a while!!

Happy Sunday!!

Annie

o

Shirley , this sounds like fun and it sounds like it will fit both my time and money budgets. ( a real plus)
I vote for Four Fairies in a fall garden.
Thanks for hostessing.
beth

o

• Posted by sjc48 5 Michigan (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 25, 13 at 19:12

Off to a great start!

Welcome Margo, Alana, Annie and Beth!
Great to have you with us, Beth!

So far, the voting looks like this:

Four Fairies in a Fall Garden - 2
The Last Leaf - 1
Deep in a Haunted Orchard - 1

We still have lots of time left for joining and voting, Heaven only knows which theme will win!

I'll save my vote to use as a tie breaker, if needed.

Just about done with cleanup/clearing the flower beds, at least for now. Still waiting on the Pestemon seeds, and some others, to ripen. Would you believe some of the flowers are starting to bloom again?!

Shirley!

o

Thanks for the welcome back Shirley. We are in SW Missouri now but will return to AZ for the winter.
Hope to have lots of familiar folks joining in and meet new friends too.

o

Hi Shirley!

My vote goes to the

Deep in a Haunted Orchard....

Jayeanne

o
?? how to update my profile??

Can't find the right link to change/update my profile. It is a couple years behind and even the zone needs to be changed.
Can anyone please tell me the place to start.
thanks BB

o

Beth, just scroll down on this page to the bottom and click on Members pages. This should get you to your member page. Up in the right hand corner you will see "your profile". That should get you where you want to be.

Good luck. Margo

o

I'll join in and will vote for The Last Leaf.

o

Great idea and I look forward to reading the story. However, I won't be playing. Not too sure what the next 2 months will bring in terms of surgery, hospital stay, etc. I'll keep in touch.
Jeanne

o

Mon, Aug 26, 13 at 20:32

Hi Everyone, and welcome to Jayeanne and Suzanne. Very glad you could join in this month!

Okay, so far, the Round Robin Story will be written by:
Margo - Ohio
Alana - Kentucky
Annie - California
Beth - Missouri
Suzanne - Ohio
Jayeanne - Can't find your card, sorry, what state are you from?
And, Me - Michigan

And it's a dead heat in the voting, folks!

The Last Leaf - 2
Deep in a Haunted Orchard - 2

Hope everyone had a nice day. Very hot and muggy here, supposed to rain, but I watered anyway!
Shirley!

o

Hi Shirley!

Im in RI and our weather is starting to feel like fall over here =)

Jayeanne

o

• Posted by kchd 7b Mississippi (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 27, 13 at 19:05

Whoohoo, a story! Sounds like fun!

I'd be happy to join in, but I would like to request being on the front end of the chain. I only ask this because I know I will be out of town for 2 or 3 weeks in October.

I'm going to vote for:
The Last Leaf

Katie

o

Tue, Aug 27, 13 at 23:20

Hi Katie and welcome to the swap! I'll be sure to fit you in at the beginning!

I'm in Kettering for a few days, staying with my granddaughters while their M&D help move the other Grandma up to Ohio, from North Carolina! This should be interesting, to say the least.

And the Round Robin Story will be written by:
Margo - Ohio
Alana - Kentucky
Annie - California
Beth - Missouri
Suzanne - Ohio
Jayeanne - Rhode Island, thanks, Jayeanne!
Katie - MIssissippi
And, Me - Michigan.

"The Last Leaf" is pulling ahead in the voting!

The Last Leaf - 3

Need to get to bed,
Talk to ya all tomorrow,
Shirley!

o

Wed, Aug 28, 13 at 19:00

Hey Everyone! Just checking in! Busy day here in Kettering; the girls can always find something new to do and show Grandma!
Talk to ya all later!
Shirley!

o

I`d love to join in!!! I live in Virginia and my vote is for FOUR FARIES IN A FALL GARDEN!

o

Thu, Aug 29, 13 at 9:07

All Righty Then, one is in school and the other is playing quietly!! YEAA for quiet!

We made Button Headbands yesterday, Tabs wore hers to kindergarden, they turned out better than expected!

Robin, welcome to the swap! Hope you are ready to do some serious writing!

Our Round Robin Story will be written by:
Margo - Ohio
Alana - Kentucky
Annie - California
Beth - Missouri
Suzanne - Ohio
Jayeanne - Rhode Island, thanks, Jayeanne!
Katie - MIssissippi
Robin - Virginia
And, Me - Michigan.

We've got a two way tie going on!

Four Fairies in a Fall Garden - 3
The Last Leaf - 3

Okay, gotta go build Legos!
Later,
Shirley!

o

Sounds like those kids are keeping you going Shirley. I bet it is a lot of fun and you must sleep well at night.

We have our "granddoggies" this weekend. My son has a lab/sheppard mix and a australian sheppard mix. They both hate cats so with six outdoor cats and an indoor cat, we have to be careful. Our little Tenny is banished to the basement but we will cage the dogs and let her up on occasion. The windows are all covered or the blinds are closed so they don't see the ones outside. If they do spot them, they start barking and go crazy and I hate it. It gets a little tricky at times but we manage. It is allowing my son and his girlfriend to take a trip to Washington D.C. so I don't mind. He hasn't had a vacation in a while.

Haven't started my story ideas so I best get going on it. I have some thoughts going through my head though. LOL

Margo

o

I love love love this idea! My creative juices start flowing every time I see the story ideas, but I'm going to pass. The new job has me on a learning curve and I come home beat. Just taking care of my flower beds is all I can handle and of course saving some seeds. The stress is high, but if I find a few moments I'll come check out your literary masterpiece!
Heidi

o

Fri, Aug 30, 13 at 14:35

Hi Everyone!

Margo, not only do I sleep well, but our little one, Myrna, has slept EVERY night the whole way thro!! She normally doesn't. I was a little concerned about that, but all is well so far! She's 2 1/2 and has never slept well. Her Mom was the same way.

I sometimes think pets are just as much to handle as little kids!

This morning we went to the Splash Pad, something new for me, and then we "did" lunch at Wendy's. A quick trip to Meijers to replenish supplies and home to the air conditioning! It's over 90 here, so we're staying in until after supper. Grandma doesn't do heat well and there is very little shade out there!

Okay, nuff bout that! We have 3-4 more days for signups, hope to see more of you all joining in!

Heidi, understand completely! I think your new job is more important right now, come visit whenever you have time!

Talk to ya all later!
Shirley

o

Hi all!
This swap sounds very exciting. But, I'm going to have to pass this month. Kiddo's starting school (Billy is officially a Kindergartner) and I'm hosting OBF, I think I'm stretched.

I'll have to pop in and see what stories you creative ladies come up with :) It will be awesome!

Have a great September!
vina

o

Sat, Aug 31, 13 at 19:21

Just checking in!

Vina, be sure to stop by and visit, when you have a chance!

Tomorrow is the last day to sign up, so if you've been lurking and trying to make up your mind to join, now's the time - to join in!

Talk to ya all later!
Shirley!

o

Shirley, your grandchildren sitting is going better than our dog sitting. The one dog vomited early in the morning on Saturday, (4:30 am) and then again at 7 am. I noticed it seemed to have blood in it. She seemed ok so we just went on our day. I worked til six and then hubby picked me up and we went out to eat and then did some shopping. Came home around 9 and Cali had vomited all over her cage and was a mess. Hubby bathed her while I cleaned. There was definitely blood. I text my son and he hadn't had her sick recently. I called the vet and he said since she was acting normal and was going out the other end, he didn't feel she had any blockage. We are watching her and giving her special things to eat such as eggs, cottage cheese, and rice. She has been ok since with no vomit and seems herself. I just hope she goes this way til at least when my son gets home. He can do the vet visiting. I don't like having to take care of this and having the possibility of making decisions.

Having a lazy day today. Too warm to garden but there is rain coming some time today which is suppose to bring down the temps.

Happy Labor day everyone. Margo

o

Sun, Sep 1, 13 at 18:00

Geez, Margo, that doesn't sound good. Hopefully, she will be okay until your son gets back. I wouldn't want to have to make those kinds of decisions either. Poor Dog, and yeah, Poor Margo and hubby!

I got home around 3:30, it was cloudy the whole way home, but no rain. And I'm really grateful for that, I hate to drive in the rain. The traffic was horrendous and I really dislike driving thro Toledo. That's almost as bad as Cleveland!

I was surprised at how tired I got, watching the girls. I expected some problems, but from them, not me! It was okay during the day, but once I got them in bed, it was like, "Good Lord, I am exhausted!" They were as good as they could be and I am really missing them right now!

I will be posting the Robin's Flight Path tomorrow, and Margo, I'll get the "starter pack" out to you on Tuesday!

Still time for last minute sign-ups!
VERY early bedtime tonight!
Shirley!

o

Oh MArgo, that is worrisome.. I always stress when an animal seems sick since they can't tll you what is going on. Hope she improves soon.
Shirley, have a good snooze and wake up raring to go. Grandkids are worth getting worn out for every once in a while.
We had a big change in our weather. Today was cloudy with a few light showers ( not enough for the garden but good for the temperatures). We decided to go to the monthly Open House at Baker Creek Seed co Farm. Really enjoyed the live music,good food and some Demos of pioneer crafts.
Enjoyed a very pleasant day and a lot of nice friendly gardeners. Well worth the trip.

o

The dog seems to be ok. I don't know what that was all about. I have been feeding her rice, cottage cheese and scrambled eggs and she is keeping it all down. She goes home tomorrow so I hope she keeps stays good til then.

The open house sounds like fun Beth. I wish we had something like that here.

Margo

o

Mon, Sep 2, 13 at 19:52

Hi Everyone!
Glad to hear the dog is doing well, Margo.
Beth, that does sound like a good day out! I've heard of Baker Creek seeds, never ordered from them tho. What kind of music?

SO!! Is everybody ready to start writing, because here we go!!

But first, an important reminder:
Please send the story out within a day or two of receiving. If you are going to be delayed, please post here and let us know.

Also:
This is a small swap, a large legal size envie should do to mail out, or a small bubble envie.
If you need an address, ask here or email your "send to" person.

And, I get to use my tie breaker!

Our theme will be: THE LAST LEAF!

Here is the Flight Path for the Round Robin Story:

1. Margo sends the opening paragraph to KATIE in Mississippi;

2. Katie sends to BETH in Missouri;

3. Beth sends to ANNIE in California;

4. Annie sends the story all the way back across the country to JAYEANNE in Rhode Island;

5. Jayeanne sends to ROBIN in Virginia;

6. Robin sends to SHIRLEY in Michigan;

7. Shirley sends to SUZANNE in Ohio;

8. Suzanne sends to ALANA in Kentucky,
who will finish the story for us!

Margo, the starter pack is all ready to go out tomorrow!

Any questions, concerns, just ask!

I'll be posting our TRIPLE WHAMMY BINGO tomorrow night!

Let's tell a story, Ladies!
Shirley!

This post was edited by sjc48 on Mon, Sep 2, 13 at 19:57

o

That sounds good Shirley. I was having a hard time deciding between the Fairies and the Last Leaf. Both sounded good and I love a good story.

o

Ok, my paragraph is written. I hope it is a good beginning to what will be a wonderful story.

Margo

o

Tue, Sep 3, 13 at 12:08

I'm sure it will be, Margo! You should get the package tomorrow or Thursday.

Triple Whammy Bingo starts tonight!!

It really turned cold here. Good Grief!
Shirley!

o

Cold? I think I'm ready for a dose of that....

o

Finally checking in....."The Last Leaf"....should be a darn good story!! And BINGO is starting!!!

And I'll take some "Cold" as well! Heat is fine with me but it has been very humid here for the past week. I am disrobing and jumping in the pool with an icy Newcastle brew in a few minutes.

Margo, so glad little Cali kept her food down.

Happy Tuesday!!

Annie

o

Tue, Sep 3, 13 at 20:11

Annie, Alana, I would gladly send some of this cold your way, if I could. This is silly. Last week was in the 90s. I've dragged my flannels out again.

In any event, Margo will have our story In flight by the weekend, no much to do before that, so. let's play games!

This will be a Triple Whammy Bingo, which simply means that there will be 3 rounds instead of one. The first round will be your common, ordinary type of bingo game. The next two rounds will use the same words but each will be played a little differently.

EVERYONE WHO SIGNS UP FOR THE GAME WILL PLAY ALL THREE ROUNDS, REGARDLESS OF WINNING OR LOSING. There will be a winner for each round, with a Grand Prize winner at the end. I'll explain each round as we get to it.

Any member of FOTESS can play the game, whether you are signed up for the swap or not.

For the first round, all you need to do is email me 10 words from the following list. I'll pick two words a night until someone goes BINGO! Please keep track of the words you get, I'll be doing the same for all of you. You will have until Saturday evening to sign up for the game and send me your list of words. I'll post the first two words Saturday night.

TRIPLE WHAMMY BINGO - ROUND 1
1. FALL
2. FALLING LEAVES
3. FALLING DOWN
4. FALLING OVER
5. FALLING IN LOVE
6. FALLING STAR
7. FALLING RAIN
8. FALLING WATER
9. AUTUMN
10. APPLES
11. PUMPKINS
12. GOURDS
13. SQUASH
14. ASTERS
15. CHRYSANTHEMUMS
16. RED LEAVES
17. GOLD LEAVES
18. ORANGE LEAVES
19. RAKES
20. CIDER
21. BALES OF HAY
22. BACK TO SCH00L
23 SWEATERS
24. HOODIES
25. SHORTER DAYS
26. BONFIRES
27. GARDEN CLEAN-UP
28. SHIRLEY
29. ANNIE
30. ALANA
31. SUZANNE
32. JAYEANNE
33. ROBIN
34. BETH
35. KATIE
36. MARGO
37. SEPTEMBER
38. OCTOBER
39. FRIENDS OF THE EARTH
40. SIMPLE SWAPS

All Righty Then, who wants to play Bingo?

Shirley!

o

APPLES
BACK TO SCHOOL
FALLING LEAVES
SQUASH
ASTERS
RAKES
CIDER
SWEATERS
BALES OF HAY
JAYEANNE

THANKS SHIRLEY! JAYEANNE

o

Tue, Sep 3, 13 at 20:34

Can't wait to get this story started!

Beth, I am quite certain that I will need your address in Missouri. How wonderful that you were able to attend the Baker Creek Open House. I love their seeds.

Ooooo, Shirley! All this talk about chilly fall weather is getting me excited about Autumn! I daydream about the changing colors of the leaves and the crisp mornings. I love the warming glasses of wine in the evenings while enjoying a nice fire in the firepit. It's the season when I got married. It's one of my favorite times of the year!

o

Tue, Sep 3, 13 at 20:58

Katie, I like Fall too, but I'm never ready for cold weather! Actually tho, I think I like Winter best once I'm into it. Quiet, calm, silent, still.
Beautiful pic!

Thanks for responding so quickly, Jayeanne, I've got your list copied. But you were supposed to email me your list, not post it here. Maybe you could edit it out, altho I'm not sure it matters.

Have a great day tomorrow, ALL!
Shirley!

o

Shirley, I love everything about fall Not quite cold here yet but nights are definately COOL.. DAys have been beautiful with clear skies and cool breezes under a bright warm sun. Just perfect. The men baled the hay across the street yesterday so I hope to get pictures today
Hey, gals, I'm old enough to remember when Corn shocks were how they harvested corn each fall, not just fall decorations for HAlloween. Anybody else remember?
Katie, beautiful flowers and I'll get that address out to you.
Bethb

o

Wed, Sep 4, 13 at 20:27

I love the cool nights, great for sleeping!

I can remember when my grandfather went in on a haybaling share plan. I was married with 2 children before they stopped arguing over who paid for the beer.

And I can remember further back to when the hay was loose stored in the barn, and getting my butt whacked for playing in it!

Annie, got your word list! Thank you!
Katie, just got your list too! Thanks!
Love this edit feature -
Margo, just got your words too! Thanks!

Anyone else ready to sign up for Bingo? Remember, you don't have to be signed up for the swap, to play.

Talk to ya all later!
Shirley!

This post was edited by sjc48 on Wed, Sep 4, 13 at 21:15

o

My starter kit arrived today. Shirley included three pretty flowered pencils complete with eraser toppers. Thank you.

I am about done with my paragraph but want to do a little tweaking to it so will post it over the weekend and will have it on the way to Katie by Sunday. We are having our Black Swamp arts festival this weekend. It is a big affair in town and somehow I ended up scheduled Friday, Saturday, and Sunday and since we sell some of our local artists art work, plus people come from all over the country to put their artwork in the festival, we will be busy, busy, busy.

Margo

o

Thu, Sep 5, 13 at 21:45

Hi, hope everyone had a good day. It was in the low 70s here, sunshiney, really pretty weather! And my Turtlehead is blooming! It is supposed to be white, but in reality it is a creamy, waxy, light, super light pink. Really pretty and both clumps are loaded with buds! Come On, Checkerspots!

Beth and Alana, got your word lists, thank you, thank you!

Ladies, lets all keep Jeanne in our thoughts; her surgery is scheduled for week after next. She has been in a lot of discomfort and pain for a long time now, hopefully the surgery will resolve some of the issues.

I was sitting at work this afternoon, falling asleep! Not the best way to hang on to a job. Off to bed!
Shirley!

Thanks for posting, Margo. The Arts Festival sounds like fun. In Bowling Green, I'm presuming?

This post was edited by sjc48 on Thu, Sep 5, 13 at 21:48

o
New Member Alert!

Thu, Sep 5, 13 at 22:43

It's me again!

We have a new member! Everyone, please welcome Chelsie! She is new to GW and I will be her sponsor.
Hopefully she will come on and tell us about herself.

Maybe she will play Bingo with us too!

Welcome to FOTESS, Chelsie!

Off to bed for real!
Shirley!

o

Well, I surprised myself by tweaking my story paragraph and finishing it. My plan is to mail it tomorrow after work.

Here it goes

The Last Leaf

A woman walks through a forest of tall trees. A cool breeze is blowing as the summer comes to a close. The trees begin to shiver as a squirrel scurries through on a hunt for the bountiful harvest from the nut trees. A single leaf falls.

Hope this works. On to Kate, Margo

o

Hi everyone! I've only been on gardenweb since June but I've done quite a few trades and I'm addicted! I keep thinking about how fast winter is approaching and it makes me sad that I won't be able to trade plants then! I'm 26, I live in PA, about 40 miles North of Pittsburgh (Go Steelers! Hehe). I've only been gardening for about 2 years and I've only really gotten into it this past year and my plant variety has massively increased in the last few months and I still get so excited to receive new ones!! I'm not sure what else I should say, so just ask me if your curious. Thanks for letting me join your group, I'm so excited to start participating! Also, I will be playing bingo, Shirley I sent you an email of my words. Have a good night everyone. Thanks again, and a special thanks to Shirley for sponsoring me!

Chelsie

o

Fri, Sep 6, 13 at 7:37

YAY, another Western PA-er! And I did get your list, Chelsie, thanks!

"A single leaf falls" And then what? The woman is a hunter and shoots the squirrel? The squirrel (my favorite animal-NOT) collects the leaves one by one for his winter nest and has to fight the other squirrels for the last leaf?

What!? Any other ideas, Folks? Only Katie knows for sure!
Heads up, Katie, The Last Leaf is on it's way to you!

Great start, Margo! Lots of possibilities there!

Off to work, hope I can stay awake,
Shirley!

This post was edited by sjc48 on Fri, Sep 6, 13 at 7:39

o

Sat, Sep 7, 13 at 11:00

Just checking in, Ladies!

I'll be posting the first Triple Whammy Bingo Words later on this evening! Still time to sign up for Bingo!

Have a great day, Everyone!
Shirley!

o

Sat, Sep 7, 13 at 15:38

Welcome, Chelsie! Nice to have you join us. I'm sure you will enjoy the FOTESS swaps, as they are always fun.

Ok, I've been contemplating what to add to Margo's great start to what will undoubtedly be an entertaining story. I want to have the next "episode" ready to go, so I can immediately pop it in the mail and on it's way to Beth.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

Katie

o

Jeanne, thinking of you!!

Chelsie....welcome to our little group! Enjoy!! Happy FOTESSING!

Margo, "The Last Leaf"............nice beginning!!!!

Happy Football Saturday!! To make it a perfect Saturday....Notre Dame must blow Michigan away at the Big House...go Irish!!

Annie

o

Sat, Sep 7, 13 at 18:42

I think not, Annie!
Go Wolferines! M M M M M M M!!

o
Time for Bingo!

Sat, Sep 7, 13 at 19:51

Time to put friendly rivalries aside and play Bingo!

Here are the first two words:
BETH
FALLING LEAVES

Please keep track of your words; I will too, but I have been known to goof up!

Talk to ya all later!
Shirley!

o

Thanks for all the warm welcomes! 😊

o

Oh My why did I only see 20 words when I picked my 10. Time for new glasses!!

Chelsie welcome to our group.

o

Sun, Sep 8, 13 at 20:06

I know the feeling, Suzanne!

How did everyone do with the Bingo Words?
Ready for two more?

Here they are:
SWEATERS
FALLING RAIN

TRIPLE WHAMMY WORDS CALLED SO FAR:
BETH
FALLING LEAVES
SWEATERS
FALLING RAIN

Hope to hear from Katie sometime early this week, with the next installment of "The Last Leaf!"

Have a great Monday, Ladies!
Shirley!

o

It's really hot here again. Back to the 90's with high humidity sorta like July. We went over to the beach today. To busy to go all summer but too hot to work outside today.
Doing good on BINGO so far > That's a surprise but it's just getting started, It's fun anyway

o

Mon, Sep 9, 13 at 19:53

Glad you had a good Monday, Beth. We had pouring rain all day until about 3. My weekend transplants are loving it!

Here are tonight's Bingo words:
OCTOBER
BACK TO SCHOOL

BETH
FALLING LEAVES
SWEATERS
FALLING RAIN
OCTOBER
BACK TO SCHOOL

Katie, any word on "The Last Leaf?"

Talk to ya all later!
Shirley!

o

What a great story! I love it. No, no hunters. The squirrels chase away the gritchy birds who sit in the trees and argue all day. Then the squirrels play "Johnny Appleseed" with acorns which will come up next year as volunteer trees!
The new part-time job as chaplain is going well. I have to give myself time to process everything. I'm learning names, faces, facts, procedures, all that fun stuff.
You know I love cards...last Friday I wrote up 12 little 2"x2" cards and left them at people's desks. It brightened their day (and mine). I'm in charge of birthday cards and get well cards so I'm in card heaven. There's also a lot of chaos: a 17-year-old who is pregnant, a 19-year-old who has become mommy to her 7 siblings, a middle-ager who was eating out of the garbage cans, woman on dialysis & has to travel 70 miles round trip 3 times a week. You get the picture.
I'll check in here once in awhile.
I have so many seeds. I thought women just collected shoes and purses, but not me! I can't stop!
Heidi

o

Mon, Sep 9, 13 at 21:22

Heidi, good to hear from you; good to hear, too, that you are hanging in there with the new job. It doesn't surprise me that you are bopping around, brightening peoples days. You seem to do a lot of that, anyway!

It sounds like you are working with the inmates families? Am I reading that right?

Yes, please, check in every once in a while!

PS- I could live without the squirrels in the story, but hey, that's just me! There could actually be people out there who like squirrels.
Shirley!

o

Mon, Sep 9, 13 at 21:57

No sign yet of "The Last Leaf" in the mailbox. Maybe tomorrow? This ittybitty town I live in often causes mail to take an extra day to arrive in my box. Because of that, I always take my packages to work with me, to mail out from the main P.O. hub. It makes my packages get there 1 day faster.
Go figure!

Heidi, you are the perfect person for that job. I'm sure you bring joy to peoples' lives that may very well otherwise have none. That's got to feel good!

I've been thinking about what I can do with the pesky squirrel. Yea Shirley, I like squirrel meat! Close you ears, Heidi, but squirrel hunting is fun, and squirrel & dumplins are delicious! I have been out deer hunting before, and had ornery squirrels get mad at me in their tree, and sit there and bark at me for an hour. More than once I've entertained the thought of putting them out of *my* misery.

Actually, squirrels are pretty cool. Did you know there are 34 species of squirrels in North America? Last November, I was excited to see Abert's squirrels for the first time while in Arizona. They are not very common. Here's a photo of one from the web. Look at those ear tuffs!

o

Mon, Sep 9, 13 at 22:11

Gee, Katie, 64 species of squirrels. I'm so excited.

Actually, I HAVE cooked squirrel, never eaten it. My ex and sons are hunters. Squirrel season is a biggie with them. I fixed it with spaghetti sauce; Italians cook everything in sauce! Tried fried too. Takes a lot of squirrels to feed a family of 5, well, 4.

Off to bed,
Shirley!

o

Tue, Sep 10, 13 at 20:05

Evening All!

It was 95 here today. Yeah, I've got the air on.

Here are the Bingo words for tonight:
SHIRLEY
PUMPKINS

BETH
FALLING LEAVES
SWEATERS
FALLING RAIN
OCTOBER
BACK TO SCHOOL
SHIRLEY
PUMPKINS

We[re having a Retirement Luncheon tomorrow at work for one of my co-workers. I'm really going to miss this lady.

I should probably get some rest.
Talk to ya all later,
Shirley!

o

I saw butterflies today. . Haven't seen many all year. I tried to take some pics, Shirley!
 photo btrflyonpinksedum_zps8f4d6b14.jpg
 photo btrflyonsedum2_zps3d1919fb.jpg
 photo 2moths2mexsunflwrs_zpsedc54189.jpg

o

Welcome to the group, Chelsie!

As usual all of you are having a fun (and maybe a bit crazy) month here with FOTESS. Triple Whammy Bingo is a new concept to me. Shirley, you're so creative!

Thanks for the thoughts and get well wishes. My surgery is scheduled for next week so once I get home from the hospital I'll either post or get word to Shirley to let you know how I am doing.

We're going to get some cooler weather soon. I can't wait. When fall weather first arrives, it feels so good. I 've had a reduction in the amount of pain over the past two weeks... just a little break before it starts again, I guess; but I'm happy for this break.

Happy September to everyone! I'll be following the story.
Jeanne

o

Tue, Sep 10, 13 at 22:06

OMG!! Heidi! I'm almost positive that first one is a Pearl Crescent! How great is that!? What is it nectaring on?
The second is a Red Admiral. Don't know what the third one is, is that Tithonia it's feasting on? Great pictures, Heidi, I'm proud of ya! I didn't have very many butterflies this year either. One each of maybe 6 different kinds. And a ton of Summer Azures on the Verbena Hastata.

Jeanne, good to hear from you, glad the pain is letting up a little. You are definitely in our thoughts and prayers.

Off to bed, probably!
Shirley!

o

The first pic it's feasting on autumn joy sedum. It's just starting to turn pink. It's been near 100 degrees so the fall flowers are trying to come out, but they look confused.
Yes, the third is on tithonia which just started blooming a couple weeks ago.
So glad to have someone who can identify these cuties!
Heidi

o

Katie, the Alberts squirrel is fun to see. There were some at grand Canyon with white areas that made people think they were skunks, FUN!
Love the butterfly pics and glad to know Shirley can ID them . There are lots of butterflies here, I'll try for some pics too.
bethb

o

Wed, Sep 11, 13 at 18:56

Yay! Margo's The Last Leaf package arrived today! Her writing gift is a great little journal that I will love to use for recording the locations of all the native plants I have found in the woods this year for future reference. I always carry a gps with me when I'm out poking around so I can come back later to interesting plants I find and check on their phenology. Yes, I know, I'm different. haha.

Beautiful butterflies, Heidi! I think the last ones are some kind of skippers.

Jeanne, hope your surgery goes smoothly and is a complete success! Feel better soon!!!

Ahahaha, Beth, I can only imagine how terribly amusing it must have been to see the Abert's squirrel in skunk clothing, and how people must have avoided them!

I will be mailing Beth's Leaf out tomorrow before heading out of town for the weekend. Here's the story thus far:

A woman walks through a forest of tall trees. A cool breeze is blowing as the summer comes to a close. The trees begin to shiver as a squirrel scurries through on a hunt for the bountiful harvest from the nut trees. A single leaf falls.

The woman raises her eyes skyward, to learn the source of the falling leaf, the largest she has ever seen. She is delighted to discover it is from a rare and beautiful native, the Bigleaf Magnolia. Suddenly, something else catches her eye.

This post was edited by kchd on Wed, Sep 11, 13 at 19:01

o

Wed, Sep 11, 13 at 20:02

Katie, I'm assuming that is a BigLeaf Magnolia in the picture; way to illustrate the story! Great idea, and great addition to the story.

Beth, Heads Up, the Leaf is on it's way to you! I can hardly wait to find out what caught her eye!

And just so we all know where we are with the story, at all times, here's the Flight Path:

1. Margo sent the opening paragraph to KATIE in Mississippi;

2. Katie received it and is sending to BETH in Missouri;

3. Beth sends to ANNIE in California;

4. Annie sends the story all the way back across the country to JAYEANNE in Rhode Island;

And last but not least, here are the next two Bingo words:
RED LEAVES
SIMPLE SWAPS

BETH
FALLING LEAVES
SWEATERS
FALLING RAIN
OCTOBER
BACK TO SCHOOL
SHIRLEY
PUMPKINS
RED LEAVES
SIMPLE SWAPS

Have a great day tomorrow!
Shirley!

o

Katie, glad the envie finally arrived. Great addition to the story and complete with picture. I just love this type of swap, small surprises, wonderful interaction through poem or story, and inexpensive as well.

Can't wait to see what Beth adds and I hope the post office is just a little quicker for you Katie.

Margo

o

Wed, Sep 11, 13 at 22:25

Yes ma'am, Shirley & Margo, that is a bigleaf magnolia I was standing under when I took the picture this spring. I've been trying to get seeds from them, but they are notoriously difficult to do so because the critters like to eat them up as soon as they're ripe. They also boast the largest simple leaves of North American natives. They can be as much as a meter long!

Katie

o

Katie......very nice!!!!!! Where, oh where will "The Last Leaf" take us????

I need to try some squirrel......

Annie

o

Thu, Sep 12, 13 at 19:47

Annie, a squirrel cooked is every bit as obnoxious as a squirrel alive. Nuff said.

Hope you all had a great day!
Here are the Bingo words for Thursday:
FALLING IN LOVE
JAYEANNE

BETH
FALLING LEAVES
SWEATERS
FALLING RAIN
OCTOBER
BACK TO SCHOOL
SHIRLEY
PUMPKINS
RED LEAVES
SIMPLE SWAPS
JAYEANNE
FALLING IN LOVE

Have a great Friday!
Shirley!

o

Fri, Sep 13, 13 at 18:54

Happy Friday, Everyone!!

In honor of it's being Friday, FINALLY, I drew 3 Bingo words tonight, and here they are:
FALL
BONFIRES
BALES OF HAY

BETH
FALLING LEAVES
SWEATERS
FALLING RAIN
OCTOBER
BACK TO SCHOOL
SHIRLEY
PUMPKINS
RED LEAVES
SIMPLE SWAPS
JAYEANNE
FALLING IN LOVE
FALL
BALES OF HAY
BONFIRES

Some of you are coming close! See ya all tomorrow with more words, and maybe word from Beth on The Last Leaf!
Shirley!

o

Annie, squirrel ,fried or stewed is not bad at all. And, much less troublesome on the dinner table than in my nut trees!
No Mail here from Katie yet. Maybe tomorrow.
Katie that is a beautiful photo and I'd love to see one of the trees in person. You had me putting on my thinking cap to figure where to go with the story but I'm ready when it gets here.
Weather here has changed from Summer to Fall in a matter of hours. A man at the hardware store says this winter is going to be one we will all remember. It will be interesting to see. The weather in CO is so awful and the fires both in NJ and in CA keep me wondering what is coming next.
Hope all of you are safe and well.
BB

o

Sat, Sep 14, 13 at 19:53

Evening, ALL!

This year the weather has been really different. I know I've mentioned this before. Well, last night it got down to 39, yeah, 39. I got up in the middle of the night, closed all the windows and turned the heat on. It was SO cold!
Got up into the high 60s today, lots of sun tho. I had two hummingbirds battling it out over the last of the RTHS! Quite beautiful to see, actually, and NO, I didn't get any pics. Too busy watching!

Okay, here are tonight's Bingo words:
ALANA
SQUASH

BETH
FALLING LEAVES
SWEATERS
FALLING RAIN
OCTOBER
BACK TO SCHOOL
SHIRLEY
PUMPKINS
RED LEAVES
SIMPLE SWAPS
JAYEANNE
FALLING IN LOVE
FALL
BALES OF HAY
BONFIRES
ALANA
SQUASH

Several of you already have 6 words! WHOOO HOOO!!
Hope you are all keeping track of what you have.

I'm "running away from home" tomorrow, hopefully spending the day taking bird pics. Wish me luck!
Shirley!

o

Beth, must find me some squirrel to enjoy. I am guessing it might taste like chicken???? We have a few Macadamia Nut trees and I am not sure why the squirrels do not devour the trees......maybe we are just lucky....knock on wood!

Good luck FOTESSERS on BINGO...not looking good on this end...LOL!

Shirley, I hope your day was a delight. "Running away from home" is so much fun!!

Happy Sunday!

Annie

o

Sun, Sep 15, 13 at 20:04

Annie, the day was great, only "ran" for a couple of hours, it clouded up, had no rain gear with me, so I came home early. Got some great scenery pics, no birds, maybe next weekend!

Jeanne is having her surgery on the 18th. Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers.

Well, at least one of you has 7 words! And here are Sunday's Bingo words:
ASTERS
GOURDS

BETH
FALLING LEAVES
SWEATERS
FALLING RAIN
OCTOBER
BACK TO SCHOOL
SHIRLEY
PUMPKINS
RED LEAVES
SIMPLE SWAPS
JAYEANNE
FALLING IN LOVE
FALL
BALES OF HAY
BONFIRES
ALANA
SQUASH
GOURDS
ASTERS

Have a Great Monday, Everyone!
Shirley!

o

I only have 5 words so far.

We are having a nice rain today. Went up to Ann Arbor in Michigan to get some new clothes. After reaching goal with Weight Watchers, my daughter (she did too) and I needed new clothes. I managed to get some good deals so I have a good start.

Hope everyone had a good weekend. Margo

o
RE: I got mail!

The envelope arrived from Katie today. She sent a very nice all weather notebook. I Think I'm going to use it for next year's Garden Log.. It will be perfect for that.
Thanks Katie.
I hope to get the story posted in the AM and get the envelope into the Mail to Annie.
Meanwhile, we are trying to get three full 5 gallon pails of pears canned up and made into jam and pear butter.. We have pears spread out on every flat surface in the camper and the shop, trying to keep them from bruising before we can finish the job. Love pears but never saw so many at one time.

o

Mon, Sep 16, 13 at 20:59

Good Grief, Beth, that's a lot of pears! Never heard of pear butter, is it made the same way apple butter is?

Margo, could you email me the words you have so far, not counting tonights? Thanks!

HOODIES
ROBIN

BETH
FALLING LEAVES
SWEATERS
FALLING RAIN
OCTOBER
BACK TO SCHOOL
SHIRLEY
PUMPKINS
RED LEAVES
SIMPLE SWAPS
JAYEANNE
FALLING IN LOVE
FALL
BALES OF HAY
BONFIRES
ALANA
SQUASH
GOURDS
ASTERS
ROBIN
HOODIES

Beth, hopefully you're going to tell us what caught the woman's eye? Can't imagine and can hardly wait to find out!

Have a great day tomorrow,
Shirley!

o

I wonder if the woman will see a brutal mountain lion or some kind of evil, disturbed man out of the corner of her eye.....I can't wait to hear!! I am worried about the leaf!!

Beth, have fun playing with your pears...that is a lot of pears!

I still want to know, does squirrel taste like chicken??? or what, if anything???? Do any of you eat Possum??? I do know that some people in the South enjoy gourmet a la opossum! I understand it has a unique taste!

Happy Tuesday evening....

Annie

o

Mon, Sep 16, 13 at 22:50

I've cooked squirrel many times, Annie, but just couldn't eat it, so I can't tell ya what it tastes like. I do like duck, which tastes, ironically enough, like duck. Just saying.
Have never eaten possum, was served groundhog one time, what a hassle getting out of that one!
I have a hard time eating something that I may have seen out walking around or flying around, the day before. And yeah, that leaves out a lot of the meats.
Lord, I need some rest!
Shirley!

o

A generous hunter gave us a squirrel once. All we had to do was defrost and pop in the oven. We took it to a church potluck! Everyone loved the squir-cken. It's amazing as human beings how our minds work. I'm the same...don't tell me what's in a hotdog. I still like them.
I love the photo of the tree. I want to crawl underneath with my book.
Heidi

o

Just popping in for a minute. Too much squirrel talk for me. Of course that's coming from someone who won't eat deer meat either. When I was a child and I would eat at my friend's house, if they served deer, I wouldn't eat. Okay, this is my prep for surgery day so let me sign off before my stomach agrees with my brain.
Have fun with the story! I'll be following it again once I get home.
Happy September!
Jeanne

This post was edited by sandlapper_rose on Tue, Sep 17, 13 at 19:06

o

Jeanne, Prayers and best wishes for the surgery.
Now, back to the story:
As she paused, looking up at the tree, Lucille realized that it was much colder than it had been when she parked the truck at the trailhead. Looking west she could see thick grey clouds flying ahead of the wind. "I better head back and check on the animals," The woman said to herself.As she turned and headed back down the trail, an Elvish figure stepped away from the tree, smiled, and nodded his head.
Ok Annie, it is on the way to you in Sunny CA

o

Tue, Sep 17, 13 at 19:32

Bravo, Beth! From a little suspense to a little more suspense! Does she see the Elvish figure, or does he just smile and nod because he knows what is going to happen when she gets back to her truck. Or when she gets home or......What!? And what does he know about the Last Leaf? Is that the tree with the Last Leaf?

Heads up, Annie, the plot thickens (I've always wanted to say that) and it's on it's way to you!

And I thought we all might like to read the entire story, at this point. I know I said we didn't have to print the whole thing, but here it is anyway!

THE LAST LEAF

The woman raises her eyes skyward, to learn the source of the falling leaf, the largest she has ever seen. She is delighted to discover it is from a rare and beautiful native, the Bigleaf Magnolia. Suddenly, something else catches her eye.

As she paused, looking up at the tree, Lucille realized that it was much colder than it had been when she parked the truck at the trailhead. Looking west she could see thick grey clouds flying ahead of the wind. "I better head back and check on the animals," The woman said to herself.As she turned and headed back down the trail, an Elvish figure stepped away from the tree, smiled, and nodded his head.

Sounds good so far, doesn't it? I'll be back in a bit with tonight's Bingo words. Late, Late supper!
Shirley!

o
swap update

Tue, Sep 17, 13 at 20:42

Tonight's Bingo words are:
ANNIE
FALLING DOWN

BETH
FALLING LEAVES
SWEATERS
FALLING RAIN
OCTOBER
BACK TO SCHOOL
SHIRLEY
PUMPKINS
RED LEAVES
SIMPLE SWAPS
JAYEANNE
FALLING IN LOVE
FALL
BALES OF HAY
BONFIRES
ALANA
SQUASH
GOURDS
ASTERS
ROBIN
HOODIES
FALLING DOWN
ANNIE

And here's an update on where the Last Leaf is:

2. Katie received it and sent to BETH in Missouri;

3. Beth received and sent to ANNIE in California;

Have a great day tomorrow, Ladies,
Shirley!

o

Wed, Sep 18, 13 at 19:45

Hi Everybody, hope ya all had a great day!

Here are the Bingo words for tonight:
ORANGE LEAVES
FALLING STARS

BETH
FALLING LEAVES
SWEATERS
FALLING RAIN
OCTOBER
BACK TO SCHOOL
SHIRLEY
PUMPKINS
RED LEAVES
SIMPLE SWAPS
JAYEANNE
FALLING IN LOVE
FALL
BALES OF HAY
BONFIRES
ALANA
SQUASH
GOURDS
ASTERS
ROBIN
HOODIES
FALLING DOWN
ANNIE
ORANGE LEAVES
FALLING STARS

And here is a breakdown on where you all are with the words, if I've missed anything, email me the words you have so far, okay?

Jayeanne, Katie, Annie, Margo, and Alana all have 7 words.
Beth, Chelsie and Suzanne all have 6 words.

Warmed up here a little today, might not have to turn the furnace on tonight - YAY!!!
Shirley!

o

You're right on mine, I do have 7 words.

Enjoying the story so far. This type of swap is so fun and easy. Thanks for doing it for us Shirley.

Margo

o

Wed, Sep 18, 13 at 21:59

I see that the Bingo words have been flying. Yes ma'am, Shirley. I do have 7 words. I am anxiously waiting on my favorite word to be called: CIDER! I'm guessing we all have that word on our lists, hahahaha! I had a new hard cider this weekend at a wedding: JK's Northern Neighbour Cider. It was de'lish!

Annie, squirrel tastes similar to rabbit. It is closer to dark meat turkey than chicken. I think it is Yummy! One of my favorite recipes besides squirrel & dumplings is to make a gumbo with either rabbit or squirrel plus duck. Eat local, Ladies!! Sorry I can't tell y'all what possum tastes like; I've never eaten it.

Beth, very nice addition to the story! It's quickly becoming quite enchanted! Glad you liked the Rite-in-the-Rain book. I love those things, and use them in the field all the time. I like to use an ultra-fine sharpie to record notes in them, since pencil can smudge. Ball-point ink is ok, but not my favorite.

Katie

o

Thu, Sep 19, 13 at 13:46

Going to a retirement party right after work, so I'll post the Bingo words now:
MARGO
SEPTEMBER

Be back much later!
Shirley!

o

Beth, we now have an ELVISH individual in the story....love it! HHHMMM, where shall I take this? Possibly today, I will get mail......

Happy Friday!

Annie

o

Annie, hope so.I mailed it Tuesday when I mailed the box to Shirley
I'm anxious to learn what happens next
BB

o

Fri, Sep 20, 13 at 20:02

Evening, All!
The retirement party was great, lots of good food and friends I haven't seen for a while. Good Time!

We toasted the Retiree with a wine, in little tiny glasses, (apertiff?) made from grapes that were frozen, I think that's what he said. It was sweet, which turned me off, but a kind of bitter aftertaste that was sort of pleasant. Glad the glasses were small.

Just because it's Friday, you get 3 Bingo words tonight:
RAKES
FALLING OVER
SHORTER DAYS

BETH
FALLING LEAVES
SWEATERS
FALLING RAIN
OCTOBER
BACK TO SCHOOL
SHIRLEY
PUMPKINS
RED LEAVES
SIMPLE SWAPS
JAYEANNE
FALLING IN LOVE
FALL
BALES OF HAY
BONFIRES
ALANA
SQUASH
GOURDS
ASTERS
ROBIN
HOODIES
FALLING DOWN
ANNIE
ORANGE LEAVES
FALLING STARS
MARGO
SEPTEMBER
RAKES
FALLING OVER
SHORTER DAYS

Whoa, Annie, you're coming close!
AND you get to write the next portion of the Last Leaf!
Woo Hoo! The tension builds!
Have a great Saturday,
Shirley!

o

Good Evening Lovely Fotessers,

"The Last Leaf" has arrived from Beth. Thank you so much Beth for the Homestead Tomato seeds, the "FALL" notecard and the cute little decorative tabbie notes (love these). The envelope is packed up and ready to fly to Jayeanne tomorrow (Sat). I will post my phase 4 of "The Last Leaf" in the AM. I have not enjoyed my vino yet and it is time!

Happy night ladies!

Annie

o

Happy Saturday!

Jayeanne, mail is headed your way.

Here is my contribution to "The Last Leaf"......

For several seconds, she screamed in awesome fear. Then a quiet, comforting peace consumed her in to a devoted trance. She could not speak. She could not move. Lucille’s paralyzed body fell to the soft earth. The short, rather ugly, non-human like being approached her. He stooped down on to his knees, ever so close to her now frail body. She saw his ears were not ears but luscious golden veined, red leaves. She smiled. His distorted fingers caringly closed her eyes and then he took her hands in to his.

Must run!

Annie

o
RE: NEW-fotess tell me a story swap!!!!

And here is the "The Last Leaf" thus far.....

The Last Leaf

As she paused, looking up at the tree, Lucille realized that it was much colder than it had been when she parked the truck at the trailhead. Looking west she could see thick grey clouds flying ahead of the wind. "I better head back and check on the animals," The woman said to herself. As she turned and headed back down the trail, an Elvish figure stepped away from the tree, smiled, and nodded his head.

For several seconds, she screamed in awesome fear. Then a quiet, comforting peace consumed her in to a devoted trance. She could not speak. She could not move. Lucille’s paralyzed body fell to the soft earth. The short, rather ugly, non-human like being approached her. He stooped down on to his knees, ever so close to her now frail body. She saw his ears were not ears but luscious golden veined, red leaves. She smiled. His distorted fingers caringly closed her eyes and then he took her hands in to his.

Shirley, I went a little long...sorry!!!! But I had fun doing it...LOL!

Annie

o

Sat, Sep 21, 13 at 13:44

Whoa, totally different than what I imagined! Good going, Annie! No problems with the length of your portion, I'm not sure what you could have left out.

And so, Jayeanne, His ears were leaves, what about the rest of his body? Is he an Elf? Hobbit? Gnome? What, what, what!? Could you have her at least open her eyes? Can't wait to see what you do with this!

Cleaning/Organizing closets today. If it kills me!
Later,
Shirley!

o

Fun story and perfect for fall; I'm trying not to think of the ending until it is closer. I'm sure there will be a lot of changes twixt now and then.
Happy weekend.
Alana

o

Annie, I love it! WOW,very Tolkeinish

o

Sat, Sep 21, 13 at 20:42

As the Last Leaf wings its way back across the country, we are nearing the end of the first round of Triple Whammy Bingo! That's right, with tonights words, we have 5 players who have 9 words! EEEEK!!!

CHRYSANTHEMUMS
CIDER

BETH
FALLING LEAVES
SWEATERS
FALLING RAIN
OCTOBER
BACK TO SCHOOL
SHIRLEY
PUMPKINS
RED LEAVES
SIMPLE SWAPS
JAYEANNE
FALLING IN LOVE
FALL
BALES OF HAY
BONFIRES
ALANA
SQUASH
GOURDS
ASTERS
ROBIN
HOODIES
FALLING DOWN
ANNIE
ORANGE LEAVES
FALLING STARS
MARGO
SEPTEMBER
RAKES
FALLING OVER
SHORTER DAYS
CIDER
CHRYSANTHEMUMS

And here's who has what: (won't win any prizes for grammar with that sentence, will I?!)
Jayeanne, Katie, Annie, Margo and Alana all have 9 words!
And Beth, Chelsie and Suzanne all have 8 words.
Let me know if I've counted wrong.

Now, this could really get tricky. Two of the 5 who have 9 words, need the same word. Two of the remaining 3 need the same word.
And if that isn't tricky enough, the 3 who have 8 words all need the same two words, both of which are the two words needed by those first 4. If I pull both words that Beth, Chelsie and Suzanne need, we will have an eight way tie. I think.
Annie is the only one who needs a different word, but that won't matter if I also pull one of the two needed by the other 4, or 7, or........AGGGGHHHHH!!!!

But not to worry! There is a tie-breaker in place already!
Need to go rest my brain!
Shirley!

o

Yesterday I received a beautiful calender from Shirley, each page a stunning photograph from her personal collection. Thank you so much Shirley. I'm not sure what I won, but the calender is wonderful and will replace the old one I already have from you above my desk now.
Again, thank you Shirley. You are a peach, a pearl, a prize.
Alana

o

I am excited Annie! Waiting patiently over here, lol

Jayeanne

o

Sun, Sep 22, 13 at 11:37

Alana, the calendar is just a continuation of the one you already have. I've started doing the calendars for Christmas gifts, and thought you might be "running out of time" on your old one, hence your receiving one!

I took 5 out to Staples to get them bound and a small miracle occurred - I asked the girl when I could pick them up, she said to give her a half hour! I was speechless! It usually takes 4-5 days to get them back! Sure hope that's the new policy, not just a new employee who doesn't know the system!

Jayeanne, thanks for posting, we're all waiting too, to see where you take the LAST LEAF!

Got the closets done yesterday, but that in turn provoked a round of dry cleaning and mending. Talk about going in circles!

I'll be back later,
Shirley!

o

Sun, Sep 22, 13 at 20:42

And we have a 1st Round Winner in the Triple Whammy Bingo!!

Here's how it fell out:
The first word I pulled was APPLES, which instantly put Margo and Jayeanne in a two way tie. The second word I pulled was "GARDEN CLEANUP, which Annie needed and that brought the whole thing up to a 3 way tie.

I immediately applied my handy dandy tie breaker and Margo emerged the Winner! If you will bear with me, the tie breaker will be explained momentarily.

But in the meantime, Congratulations, Margo, you are the first round winner and will receive that prize at the end of the swap. You also get 223 points.

Wait a minute - points? What points? She got points? Did the rest of us get points?

Don't anyone panic yet! You all got points. How?

Well, when I listed the Bingo words, I numbered them. As each of you sent me your list, I kept track of what number each word was. For instance, #1 was FALL, so that was one point; #19 was RAKES, which was 19 points, etc., etc., etc. Hope that is clear.

I added everyone's points and here they are. You may want to count yours again, just in case!

Suzanne - 113 points
Beth - 127 points
Chelsie - 150 points
***Jayeanne - 176 points
***Annie - 188 points
Alana - 199 points
***Margo - 223 points
Katie - 225 points

Can everyone see the tie breaker? Margo had the most points of the three winners.

WHEW!!!!

Okay, on to Round 2!! And remember, EVERYONE IS STILL IN THE GAME!

All you need to do for Round 2 is send me a list of 10 of the Bingo words. It can be the same list as you used in Round 1, or it can be an entirely new list. You have until Thursday to email me your words.

Some helpful hints for Round 2:
1. Are we playing a round of Bingo, this round? NO!
2. Will I count points the same way? MAYBE
3. Will I reverse the numbering of the words? MAYBE
4. Will the winner double her points in this round, or lose them all? MAYBE
Be careful how you choose your words!

Congrats, Margo and on to Round 2!
Shirley!

o

Wow, I won and didn't even realize I was as close. I was away camping all weekend with my daughter and wasn't able to check my words. Thanks for being so on top of things Shirley.

I did have a good time and although it rained Saturday morning, the rest of the weekend was perfect. I needed it too.

Thanks for all the work you have done Shirley on this swap. You have done a fantastic job as always. Margo

o

Just a quick note to let you know I am home from the hospital. Surgery was 5 hours instead of 2 so I got a bit more surgery than anticipated, but I am doing well. Thanks for your thoughts, well wishes, and prayers.
I'll be back online soon to see what everyone has been up to this month and check out your wonderful story!
Jeanne

o

Mon, Sep 23, 13 at 20:26

Jeanne, good to hear you are home and doing well. Thanks for posting. Stay in touch, please!

We're on to the 2nd round of Triple Whammy Bingo. Email me your new or old list of 10 words by Thursday. Remember, EVERYONE is still in the game!

Hopefully, we'll hear from Jayeanne in the next few days with the latest installment of The Last Leaf!

Shirley!

This post was edited by sjc48 on Mon, Sep 23, 13 at 20:28

o

The Last Leaf has arrived from Annie! Annie sent along 2 sheets of labels, a beautiful notecard and 2 packets of seeds - Calendula 'Kablouna Lemon' and Snapdragon 'Orange Wonder' Thank you so much Annie!

and so ......The Last Leaf....continues on!

As she paused, looking up at the tree, Lucille realized that it was much colder than it had been when she parked the truck at the trailhead. Looking west she could see thick grey clouds flying ahead of the wind. "I better head back and check on the animals," The woman said to herself. As she turned and headed back down the trail, an Elvish figure stepped away from the tree, smiled, and nodded his head.

Butterflies in a myriad of colors flutter past Lucille's frail body. Enchanting objects flying around like little pixies. Lucille gently reopens her eyes to a magical forest. Dancing pink magical mushrooms wander this forest in very operatic voices. Where am I, she cries?? A faint cackle taunts her in the distance. She frantically looks down and remembers nothing but that mysterious single leaf.

I am ready to mail out in the am, but i need an address please.
Had a lot of fun with this! Jayeanne

o

Robin in VA

Could you please send me your address, it is ready to head your way =)

thank you!
Jayeanne

o

Tue, Sep 24, 13 at 20:11

Excellent, Jayeanne! Very nice touch of fantasy! Should be interesting to see where Robin takes this!

I've received an email from Jayeanne about her words for the 2nd round of Triple Whammy Bingo. Anyone else? You have until Thursday to let me know.

My New England Asters are FINALLY blooming, thought I'd share a pic.
Have a great day tomorrow,
Shirley!

o

Tue, Sep 24, 13 at 22:37

Good to hear from you, Jeanne. Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Jayeanne, great addition to the story! Can't wait to see what Robin writes next.

Love those asters, Shirley! Amazingly, mine are wrapping up blooming, and I am starting to collect seed from them. I've been collecting seeds from the natives like crazy lately.

Katie

o

Jayeanne....Oh my....dancing pink (of course) magical mushrooms with operatic sound no less!!! I want to go their!!!! I want to go their now. Very soothing scenerio!

Shirley, I have been out of town for a few days. I will email my BINGO words for round 2 tomorrow.

And congrats Margo on your round one win!

Jeanne, so happy the surgery went well. Please do take good care of yourself. There is only one YOU.

Shirley, wonderful swap, once again. Thanks so much for all the fun!

Annie

o

Speedy recovery, Jeanne!
Pinkiris, I think I was in Lucille's world too, once, back in the 70's.
Fun game, Shirley, as usual.

o

Jeanne, take care and have speedy and uneventful recovery.
shirley, the Asler is very pretty. Did you grow it from WS seeds?
Katie, are you planning to share/swap seeds?
Shirley, I'll just stick with the words I have.
Bethb

o

Wed, Sep 25, 13 at 20:43

Beth, yes, I WSed the NEAs. Two years in a row, now I'm overrun with them, but that's not necessarily a bad thing!

Katie, I want to collect seed from these too. Just hope they don't get hit with a frost first! Did yours get tall?

Good one, Alana!

I have heard from Annie, Beth, Suzanne, Margo and Alana about their Bingo words. The deadline is Thursday evening.

And here's an update on where the Last Leaf is:

2. Katie received it and sent to BETH in Missouri;

3. Beth received and sent to ANNIE in California;

4. Annie received and sent the story all the way back across the country to JAYEANNE in Rhode Island;

5. Jayeanne received and has sent to ROBIN in Virginia;

Good Grief, my turn is coming up, quicker than I thought It would!
Have a great day tomorrow, ALL!
Shirley!

This post was edited by sjc48 on Wed, Sep 25, 13 at 20:57

o

Hi Shirley I thought i emailed you but maybe it didnt go through, Ill keep the same words as I had before.

Jayeanne

o

Wow,This is soo much fun!! I`m ready when the story reaches me. I`m sorry I missed the Bingo game though!!!
Robin

o

Wed, Sep 25, 13 at 22:31

Jayeanne, you're right, you DID email your words, Sorry!
Chelsie, got your list too!

Robin, there will always be another Bingo! And I can't wait to see where you take the Last Leaf!

Bedtime!
Shirley!

o

Thu, Sep 26, 13 at 21:47

Hi Everyone!

I'm back down in Kettering for the weekend; the kids are headed back to NC in the morning and I get to take care of the girls! Fun times ahead!

I've received ( I think) everyone's instructions on their bingo words for round 2, and if you didn't email me, I'll just use the words you already have. And I will be back sometime tomorrow with a winner for this round! That's right, Round two will be over almost as soon as it got started!

Round 3 promises to be a doozy!

Robin, don't stress over getting the Last Leaf out, I won't be home until Sunday anyway!
Talk to ya all tomorrow!
Shirley!

o

I stopped by to read the story and it's wonderful! I hope eveyone has a good weekend.
Jeanne

o

Fri, Sep 27, 13 at 21:21

Jeanne, good to hear from you, how is the recovery progressing? Isn't the story great?! Can't wait to hear Robin's addition!

And speaking of Robin, HI, Robin, have you received the Last Leaf yet?

And now for the moment you've all been waiting on, TA DA!!

The winner of Round Two of our Triple Whammy Bingo is:
Annie, with 92 points!

So, how did she get those points? Well, I simply counted all the letters in her words, same as I did for everyone, and Annie had the most! Congrats, Annie, you win Round Two and will receive that prize at the end of the swap!

Here's how it all fell out:
Annie - 92
Suzanne - 90
Chelsie - 80
Margo - 78
Alana - 78
Katie - 76
Jayeanne - 76
Beth - 67

And here is your "point spread" !(# of points from both rounds)
Katie - Total of 305 points
Margo - Total of 301 points
Annie - Total of 280 points
Alana - Total of 277 points
Jayeanne - Total of 252 points
Chlesie - Total of 230 points
Suzanne - Total of 203 points
Beth - Total of 194 points

We're going to take a break for the weekend, and I'll post Round Three on Monday. This one will be your "defining" moment, ladies!
Remember: EVERYONE IS STILL IN THE GAME, to the bitter end!!
Have a great Saturday!
Shirley!

o

Sat, Sep 28, 13 at 13:59

Congrats to Margo & Annie for being the winners of the first 2 rounds!!

Beth - yes ma'am, I do plan to share & swap many of my seeds. Some of my plants have produced sooooo many seeds. For example, my Liatris pyncnostachya has produced enough seeds to fill a gallon-sized ziplock bag full (granted, the seeds do still have their achenes attached, those little fluffy parachutes that aid in wind dispersal). I've been trying to keep up with my "have to trade" list.... but it still needs some serious updating.

Shirley, my NEAs gave me a profusion of blooms this year, but they were nowhere near as tall as yours. I think mine were a max height of 4 ft, although once they flopped over, I left them flopped and did not stake them up. It worked out, they still looked bushy flopped over. Next year, I will prune mine back by 1/3 in early June.

Now, what in the world will Robin do with the next part of the story?!?!

o

Sun, Sep 29, 13 at 19:01

Hey Everyone!
Home safe and sound, rained the whole way but not enough to keep me out of the fast lane. Really wanted to get home!

Katie, I was wondering about pruning them back, seems like a game plan to keep them from getting so tall. Mine are in full bloom right now and just gorgeous! The bees are loving it. And can I get a good shot? No, the angles are all wrong and the dying Sneezeweeds are in most of the pic. Drat. Might have to crop a few of these!

Hopefully we'll hear from Robin soon. I will be back tomorrow evening with Round Three of Bingo. You'll be doing definitions of the bingo words. I'm trying for 20 words, but so far it's only 14. Will try harder!

Until then,
Have a great Monday!
Shirley!

o

Curiosity is building...................

So concerned about Lucille and the mysterious leaf!!

And Shirley, definititons of the bingo words...interesting!

Happy Monday!

Annie

o

Mon, Sep 30, 13 at 20:28

Evening All!
Annie, it was interesting, to say the least, to find 20 definitions that didn't give the word away at first glance!

But I did and here are your definitions for the third and final round of Triple Whammy Bingo!

1. Jennifer Lawrence

2. The Earl of Strathmore's daughter

3. One of Frank Lloyd Wright's homes

4. Caused by a dead faint, while standing up

5. A piece of false hair

6. Awkwardly moving to a lower level

7. An Irish word that means "beloved"

8. A historic area in London

9. Not crying for me

10. Qu Venzhane Wallis

11. traditional happening at a Guy Fawkes Day celebration

12. Drink served at summertime tea parties

13. Very wealthy, New York based family

14. Dissolute men about town

15. Never ending activity

16. Easy give and take

17. Famous ballerina

18. A blue bird on the Princess Royal's hat

19. Herbstmonat

20. Rufescent going away

These words are all on the original list. Email me your answers by Thursday evening. I'll announce the winner on Friday. If you can't guess all the words, send what you have guessed. Every word counts, so get your dictionaries out, folks!

I too am getting concerned about Lucille and that leaf. But we still have plenty of time. Maybe we'll hear from Robin tomorrow!

Have a great evening!
Shirley!

o

Our story has arrived along with a pack of colored ink pens and post it notes!!! I`ll send it on to Shirley on Wednesday!!!!

THE LAST LEAF

Butterflies in a myriad of colors flutter past Lucille's frail body. Enchanting objects flying around like little pixies. Lucille gently reopens her eyes to a magical forest. Dancing pink magical mushrooms wander this forest in very operatic voices. Where am I, she cries?? A faint cackle taunts her in the distance. She frantically looks down and remembers nothing but that mysterious single leaf.
Lucille looks around to the new magical world she has found herself in.There are flowers of all different colors,fairies flying to and fro and all of a sudden she realizes she is a fairy,with wings and all of the mixed hues of a leaf colors in autumn!!! But she wants to go home to her animals and has a feeling that mysterious leaf is her only link to finding her way home.but how can she find the leaf? The leaves she sees here are the beautiful colors of autumn.The mysterious leaf was green!!

o

Lucille is a fairy now!!!!! Holy tornado! I would have never thought Lucille would form wings! LOVE it Robin! I must say, I am still worried about Lucille...and her animals!

Shirley, I have my work cut out for me with your English (kind of) vocabulary class assignment....OH MY!

Annie

o

Tue, Oct 1, 13 at 20:25

Sorry, Annie! Didn't want to make them too obvious. But I know you can do it, persevere, Girl, persevere! Did I spell that right?

And Robin! VERY nice! Although I'm not so sure I like the idea of Lucille being a fairy - I get the feeling she isn't too happy about that -I'll have to work on it!

I'll do my best to post the next installment tomorrow night, if not then, definitely on Thursday.

I finally figured out how to collect Tithonia seeds. It's a little hard on the fingars, but I certainly won't have to buy those seeds next year!

Have a great day tomorrow, All!
Shirley!

o

Tue, Oct 1, 13 at 21:58

Wow, Robin really took this story into the next dimension, didn't she? It's getting more & more exciting.

Hmmm, Shirley, these definitions look hard!! I better start thinking about them!

I've got bowls and bins of seeds spread all over the table, drying before packing them up to be stored. I think my husband grudgingly accepts this as his fate for living with a plant nerd. Haha

well, DH and I were sent home thanks to the gov't shutdown today. Wonder how long we'll get to go with no income. Pppppffffttttt! (insert loud fart sound here).

o

Tue, Oct 1, 13 at 22:19

Katie, hope you don't have to go too long, that's the pits!

I collected more seeds than ever, this year. It takes me a while to get the hang of it! And the nice part is, I can use most of them for swaps, not needing anymore myself!

Off to bed,
Shirley!

o

Wed, Oct 2, 13 at 20:46

Hi Everyone!
I worked 8 to 6 today, am BEAT! I'll post the next installment of the Last Leaf tomorrow evening. Also, I'll give you all until Friday to send in your definitions.

Also wanted to share this pic. I found two of these little guys on the New England Asters today. I looked tho all my books and checked online, and I think this is a Common Sulphur caterpillar. Or it could be a Cabbage White. They have been swarming the NEAs. Posted this pic over on the Butterfly forum, maybe someone over there can tell me for sure. Does anyone here know?

Going to bed now!
Shirley!

o

Thu, Oct 3, 13 at 20:11

Home at 4 today, much better!

The caterpillar pictured above is an Asteroid, a diurnal moth, brown, about the size of a Cabbage White, that feasts on goldenrod, asters and other fall flowering plants. Many thanks to Misssherry over on the BF forum for the ID. I never think to look at the moth sections of the books.

And as promised, here's the next installment of the Last Leaf!

THE LAST LEAF

Lucille looks around to the new magical world she has found herself in.There are flowers of all different colors,fairies flying to and fro and all of a sudden she realizes she is a fairy,with wings and all of the mixed hues of a leaf colors in autumn!!! But she wants to go home to her animals and has a feeling that mysterious leaf is her only link to finding her way home.but how can she find the leaf? The leaves she sees here are the beautiful colors of autumn.The mysterious leaf was green!!

Lucille slumped down in a slough of despair. "Oh, what to do, what to do," she cried. "Not a fairy! I don't even know how to fly - nor do I want to learn! I want to go home!"
She stood up and looked around at the colorful landscape and all the fluttering, singing beings. "This is all very pretty, albeit a bit garish. But pretty as it is, it is still just a bit creepy. These pink mushrooms are really getting on my nerves." She wandered a few paces down the path. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw what appeared to be a moving forest! As it came closer, she saw it was a whole group of the little Elvish figures, chanting " Where is the Last Leaf?" over and over. In addition to ears that looked like leaves, their bodies looked barky, with knot holes, and their arms were very twiggy. "Gee," thought Lucille, "if I find the Last Leaf for them, maybe they'll tell me how to get out of here!"

Suzanne, I'll mail the Leaf on to you as soon as I receive from Robin. Probably this weekend. Would love to have Lucille get home to feed the animals, at some point!

Tomorrow evening is the deadline for sending me your definitions. Hope you are all having luck with them!

Off to fold laundry,
Shirley!

o

Shirley.....to darn funny! Oh my, now there is a group of these beings. I wonder if these barky, knot holed bodies with twiggy arms are going to take over the Universe? They seriously want "The Last Leaf"!!! Good Luck Lucille! Good Luck sweet animals!

And Shirley, emailing you "round three" this morning. Not happy with my results but it was fun....learned a few things!

Happy Friday!

Annie

o

Fri, Oct 4, 13 at 21:05

Just emailed my "round 3" guesses to Shirley. LOL, many of them were complete guesses because I was at a total loss. Hahah!

Well, since we're still furloughed, DH and I decided to go fishing. Found some nice natives along the river, a buckeye caterpillar on some Agalinis, and a little ole cottonmouth. He was quite colorful and striking, lol.

Katie

o

Fri, Oct 4, 13 at 21:35

Hi Everyone!
Came home from work at 4 and went back in at 5, home for good at 8. It's been a LONG week.

Katie, striking as in "pretty" or "at you"? You know which one I'm thinking of!

Annie, glad you like the addition to the story, I just felt Lucille wouldn't want to remain a fairy for the rest of her life!

I received answers to Round Three from Annie, Suzanne and Katie. I'm going to give the rest of you until Sunday to send your answers in, if you'd like. Sorry they are so difficult, altho, Suzanne and Katie, you both guessed Jennifer Lawrence! That one made me chuckle!

Suzanne, I probably won't receive from Robin until Monday. If you are ready to post the next installment, go right ahead. Then send it on to Alana. I'll mail your writing giftie on Monday. If you want to take the weekend to write your portion, that's fine too. We've ended up with lots of time! No Hurry!

I'm saying many and varied prayers that next week at work is absolutely nothing like this one was; heading for bed!
Shirley!

o

Happy Friday all. I just wanted to stop in and post something. I did something similar on the other swaps. I feel very strong about it.

To all my Gardenweb friends, since this is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, I want to remind all of you that are due for your mammogram to be sure to get it each year. Because my friend is a procrastinator and waited four years to get hers, she is about to start chemo. She has been diagnosed Stage 2 breast cancer. I took her to the hospital today to have a port put in. She will have 7 months of chemo then surgery to remove the tumor, then more months of chemo and radiation. It is so hard to see her going through this and it hasn't even begun yet. I just feel it is important to remind all of you in hopes of keeping someone from ever having to go through this. I should also mention my mom is a breast cancer survivor due to early detection.

Margo

o

Thanks Margo for the reminder !! It is sooo important to get our yearly mammograms!!!!
The LAST LEAF is on the way to Shirley!!!

o

Uh oh-getting close!!!

o

The story hasn't arrived yet but I'll try to help Lucille out a little.

THE LAST LEAF

Lucille slumped down in a slough of despair. "Oh, what to do, what to do," she cried. "Not a fairy! I don't even know how to fly - nor do I want to learn! I want to go home!"
She stood up and looked around at the colorful landscape and all the fluttering, singing beings. "This is all very pretty, albeit a bit garish. But pretty as it is, it is still just a bit creepy. These pink mushrooms are really getting on my nerves." She wandered a few paces down the path. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw what appeared to be a moving forest! As it came closer, she saw it was a whole group of the little Elvish figures, chanting " Where is the Last Leaf?" over and over. In addition to ears that looked like leaves, their bodies looked barky, with knot holes, and their arms were very twiggy. "Gee," thought Lucille, "if I find the Last Leaf for them, maybe they'll tell me how to get out of here!"

As the chanting of the Elvish figures grew louder Lucille trembled. What to do, stay and talk to them or run and hide. Although she wanted to hide she deceided to stay as they might know how she can find her way home. Soon they circled around Lucille chanting "where is the last leaf." Lucille asked," can you please help me find my way home." "No," said the biggest and angriest creature, we want the last leaf. "Why are you looking for the last leaf ," asked Lucille. The smallest one stepped forward and said," Our mother, Mrs. Maganolia said we cannot sleep until the last leaf falls and we are getting very tired as we have been swaying in the wind since last spring. Just then the large angry creature said, "I bet she is hiding the last leaf, lets go get her."

Alana, I'll send the package on after I get it. Have fun!!!
I did. .

o

Sun, Oct 6, 13 at 19:40

Very Good, Suzanne! More suspense! Nice tie in to the Magnolia tree, waaayy back at the beginning of the story!

Alana, it's all up to you now!

And it's time to put an end to this endless Bingo game! But before I announce the winner of Round Three, here are the answers to Round Three. Sorry this was so hard!

1. Jennifer Lawrence - falling star

2. The Earl of Strathmore's daughter - Elizabeth (Beth)

3. One of Frank Lloyd Wright's homes - falling water

4. Caused by a dead faint, while standing up - falling over

5. A piece of false hair - fall

6. Awkwardly moving to a lower level - falling down

7. An Irish word that means "beloved" - Alannah (Alana)

8. A historic area in London - Chelsea (Chelsie)

9. Not crying for me - Suzanne - "Oh, don't you cry for me"

10. Qu Venzhane Wallis - Annie

11. traditional happening at a Guy Fawkes Day celebration - bonfires

12. Drink served at summertime tea parties - squash

13. Very wealthy, New York based family - Astors - asters

14. Dissolute men about town - rakes

15. Never ending activity - garden clean up

16. Easy give and take - simple swaps

17. Famous ballerina - Margot Fonteyn (Margo)

18. A blue bird on the Princess Royal's hat - Jayeanne

19. Herbstmonat - September

20. Rufescent going away- red leaves.

And the winner of Round Three of Triple Whammy Bingo is: TADA!! Katie! She got 12 of the twenty definitions right. Suzanne was close with 10. Annie had 7 right.
Congrats, Katie!

Our Three winners for the Triple Whammy Bingo are:
Margo - Rnd 1
Annie - Rnd 2
Katie - Rnd 3

Katie, Suzanne and Annie got points, figured the same as round one, for this round. And here are the total points for All!
Beth - 194
Alana - 277
Chelsie - 230
Jayeanne - 252
Suzanne - 284
Margo - 301
Annie - 354
Katie - 429

And it looks like Katie is the Grand Prize winner! Congrats again, Katie!

Ladies, thanks to all for playing! I will have your prizes out sometime this month, as soon as work slows down and I can actually take a lunch break!

Wonder how Alana will finish the Last Leaf? Will Lucille ever get home? Does she remain a fairy? Does she find the Last Leaf? We'll soon find out!

Talk to ya all tomorrow,
Have a great Monday, if such a thing there is!
Shirley!

o

THE LAST LEAF by FOTESS

As the chanting of the Elvish figures grew louder Lucille trembled. What to do, stay and talk to them or run and hide. Although she wanted to hide she deceided to stay as they might know how she can find her way home. Soon they circled around Lucille chanting "where is the last leaf." Lucille asked," can you please help me find my way home." "No," said the biggest and angriest creature, we want the last leaf. "Why are you looking for the last leaf ," asked Lucille. The smallest one stepped forward and said," Our mother, Mrs. Maganolia said we cannot sleep until the last leaf falls and we are getting very tired as we have been swaying in the wind since last spring. Just then the large angry creature said, "I bet she is hiding the last leaf, lets go get her."

Lucille tries to turn away as the largest creature approaches, but finds it difficult to move. Pain knifes through her skull as the fading light penetrates the twin slits of her eyelids and her vision is clouded in gouts of red fog. She puts her hand to her head and it comes away sticky. As she strives for lucidity, warm breath bathes her cheek and she hears snuffling. A gray horse is standing above her just on the other side of a fence she had not noticed earlier. Fully awake now, Lucille realizes that she is lying on the ground and begins to assess the damage. On her forehead a large bloody lump throbs with every heartbeat, but nothing seems broken. Near her foot a twisted root tells the story of her fall even if she can't recall the accident. Struggling to get up, she remembers the menacing creatures from her unconscious fantasy and chides herself for her vivid imagination. Brushing away twigs and leaves clinging to her clothes, she makes her way back to the truck, again passing the Bigleaf Magnolia. It is bare. "Was there one large leaf there before, one that fell?", she asks herself as she climbs into the driver's seat. Her eyes scan the forest's edge as she tries to reconcile her memory of trees just beginning their transition from summer to fall with the reality of the nearly leafless spectacle before her. Everything about her adventure is becoming a little hazy as she tries to piece together the afternoon's events. On the drive home she decides to feed the animals quickly and drive to the ER to be checked for concussion. When she slides gingerly out of the truck so as not to reawaken the pain in her head, she does not notice the debris that falls from her hair. Green, perfect, vibrant and pulsing with life, it is the last leaf.

the end

o

WOW! and wow again. I love it!
knew it would be fun but never expected to to be so GOOD too.
This was a totally new thing for me but I loved it and hope to try this again.
Great work everybody and many thanks to Shirley.

o

Suzanne and Alana, love your finishing touches to "The Last Leaf". This was really lots of fun!!!! We must do this again!!

Katie and Suzanne, congratulations on 1st and 2nd in round three......Katie, Bravo for winning it all!!!!!

Shirley, thanks so much for all the entertainment and for once again, planning an awesome and creative FOTESS swap!

Happy Monday!

Annie

o

Mon, Oct 7, 13 at 18:11

Hey Everyone!
The Monday work day is over and it wasn't as bad as anticipated, but bad enough, very glad to be home again!

Robin! Thank you so much for the Pens! One of my co-workers has this set and I have coveted them for a long time! But no longer, Thank You! and for the little notebook too!

Suzanne, your giftie is on it's way, hope you like!

Beth and Annie, thanks for the kind words. I too love this sort of thing. We are all so creative! It seems a shame not to use that creativity. The story was great, VERY well written by all!

Thank you to everyone for contributing and for keeping the Robin going in a timely manner. What a great group you are!

One of the things I liked most was not knowing what was coming next. For the life of me, I couldn't figure out how Alana was going to get Lucille home AND deal with the last leaf too, not to mention all those little elfies!

Alana, your ending was totally unexpected! How simple was that?! My scenarios had Lucille lost forever, all the animals dying of thirst and the Last Leaf brown and withered away to nothing! ! Great writing and a beautiful ending!

But was it really? An ending? Am I wrong or did Alana leave an opening for the story to continue? A Chapter Two, maybe? We still have almost the whole month of October. If anyone is interested, we could write Chapter two here on the swap site. I'll see what I can come up with, after dinner, and we'll take it from there.

Back Later!
Shirley!

o

Great ending. Everyone did a terrific job. Thanks Shirley, it was lots of fun. Margo

o

This was such a fun swap and everyone did a great job. Alana you need to write stories, such a good ending!

o

Mon, Oct 7, 13 at 20:32

Okay, since we have the rest of the month to go, before Jeanne posts the November FOTESS swap, I'd like to try writing Chapter Two of the Last Leaf!

We'll post here on the swap site, anyone can add to the story at any time. Or you can sit back and relax and enjoy Chapter Two! It's up to you!

If you decide to add to the story, please check here first, so you'll know what is going on. Also, cut and paste is a good way to avoid typer's cramp!

I'd also like to extend an invitation to all of our other FOTESS members to join in the fun!

We'd love to hear from: Jeanne, Ellie, Heidi, Vina, Ruth, Corrine, Michelle, Sharon 1 from MI, Sharon 2 from MI, Peggy, Becky, Rena, Melinda, Dianne, Kelli, Keyla, Mandy, and Lisa.

Ladies, come on out and share the fun, add something to the story or just let us know if you are enjoying it.

And if it's okay, Alana, we'll have you finish for us again, somewhere close to the end of the month!

And here's the start of Chapter Two:

Lucille climbed wearily up the back porch steps and sank gratefully down onto the glider.
"Well, the animals are all taken care of and bedded down for the night," she thought, "Now I need to get a load of laundry started and pay some bills, then it's bedtime for me!"
Looking around, she noticed her geraniums needed watering and ......"Oh, drat, didn't I just sweep this proch this morning?"
Sweeping in a hurry, Lucille didn't notice the scraps of tiny wings, twigs and bark, and one last, perfect, vibrantly green leaf, entangled in all the debris.
Hurrying inside, she decided to put the laundry off for another day, but..."I really need to pay the electric bill. Where is the checkbook? I put it in my purse this morning before I went for my walk, shoot, I left it in the truck....no...I brought everything in...it's not in the....."
Lucille freezes in place, shocked and remembering.

If no one adds to the story by Wednesday, I'll add another portion. BUT I'm hoping to hear from some of the rest of you!

Unlike Lucille, I can now get ready for bed!
Shirley!

o

What an amazing end to our chapter and a hint of another chapter to come!!! I LOVE IT!!!!!

o

Mon, Oct 7, 13 at 21:46

I won?!? holy, moly, that's great! And unexpected!! Shirley, you did a great job putting all those rounds together. Thanks so much for being such a great hostess, as always.

Margo, your note about breast cancer screening hits close to home for me, and I couldn't agree more! On my maternal side of the family, breast cancer runs deep. It has surfaced in every generation going back for 4 generations. My great great grandmother, my great-grandmother, my great aunt, and my mom's first cousin are all breast cancer survivors. I get my annual exams every single year like clockwork, because early detection is so crucial. Lucky me, at age 35, I received my first mammogram this year. whoohoo, LOL.

Alana, wonderful ending to the story! This story has been so very entertaining, and I've loved the anticipation of wondering what would happen next. Chapter 2? Heck YES! Looking forward to reading more about Lucille.

Still on furlough, but the weather has been beautiful and I can always find ways to occupy my time. I keep telling my husband that this is what it's gonna be like when we retire. Haha!

o

Tue, Oct 8, 13 at 7:19

Morning ALL! Happy Tuesday!

Katie, how does a furlough differ from a lay-off?

I'm going to open a new thread, Everybody, post on the Last Leaf ll.

Have a great day,
Shirley!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here