Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandlapper_rose

For Information Only - Theme Garden Seed Swap

sandlapper_rose
9 years ago

I am not ready to take sign ups. This is for information only and to see if my time frame will suit those who usually participate in this swap.

I am willing to be hostess for the theme garden seed swap if we can do it in the fall. Things just get too busy for me as it gets closer to Christmas and since I love to winter sow I prefer to have my seeds in hand before Jan. 1st. Let me know if that is okay with you or if it is too early. (If that's too early, I'll bet someone else might be willing to host it a bit later.)

My time frame would likely be to start taking sign ups around the 4th week in September and I would need you to mail your seeds to me by mid-October. The seeds would get sorted and get mailed back to you - perhaps by late October or definitely by early November. What do you think?

I have been hostess of this swap a few times as have Micyrey and Drippy. It's lots of fun! Each person lists five themes for the seeds they would like to receive for their garden. Themes have been very creative in the past - music, fairy, animal names, eat your veggies, herbs, moon garden, red/white/blue etc. You can look back at some of the previous theme garden seed swaps: there was one in Jan.-Feb. 2014 with seeds harvested in 2013 (and likely 2012 since I believe we always allow the seeds to be dated a year earlier). The swap goes back for many, many prior years.

I have been harvesting my seeds lately so that brought this swap to mind. If we move forward with this, I will post the heading for sign ups later on closer to the end of September.

Jeanne

This post was edited by sandlapper_rose on Wed, Aug 20, 14 at 17:47

Comments (17)

• jaynine
    9 years ago

Those dates are fine with me...even earlier would be good. Thank you Jeanne.

• flowergirl34
    9 years ago

Those dates work for me.
    Thanks for hosting again Jeanne! :D

vina

• jensyen ( z7 MD )
    9 years ago

Your suggested dates sound good to me. I look forward to this fun swap.

• poisondartfrog
    9 years ago

I prefer the earlier dates, too. There are lots of winter swaps and having this big one earlier spreads out the fun and allows time to plan for wintersowing and early sowing.

• pinkiris
    9 years ago

I agree with all of the above comments =) Looking forward to this one!

Jayeanne

• EricaBraun
    9 years ago

This will be my first year participating, but I'm definitely game!

• Pmb2005
    9 years ago

This sounds really fun, is this a FOTESS exchange? I'd love to participate and fall sounds like a great time to do it.

~Promise

• Panhandle_Seed_Swap
    9 years ago

So, If we have seeds for a person's garden theme, we put that person's name on it after we seal the packet? Is that how it works?

Thanks!

Sheri

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just answering the 2 questions quickly because we will have lots of information in the sign up page.
    Promise, the swap is for anyone and everyone who is a member of GardenWeb. We usually get a pretty strong turn out for this swap.
    Sheri, I'll have all the logistics in the sign up thread. The main thing is once people list their 5 themes, you think of ways your seeds may fit in with those themes. Since there may be more than one person with a similar theme and so that I can get the right number of seed packs back to each person (you get the number you send in after they are sorted), it's best to slide the seed packets that you might intend for a specific person into a baggie or business envelope or something like that and label it as to who it is for rather than put names on individual packets - or you can simply incude a list. You will label the packets with a good description of the type of seed and when it was harvested. I try to follow your designation, but if someone has a a simple theme (e.g. yellow flowers), I may get 25 packets with that person's name, 10 of which are the same variety of marigold. Possibly that person sent in 10 packets for the swap so then I need to fit the extras or duplicates into other themes. Yes, it gets crazy which is why it takes me awhile to separate them! Some people send in more than they want to receive back, so typically you get a few more packets back than what you send in ... but it all depends on what is sent in for this swap. You will always get back at least the number of packets you send in.
    Anyone who is very eager can start to think of their themes, but don't post them yet...
    The swap rules sometimes change a little depending on the hostess but you can look at the earlier Theme Garden Seed Swap threads if you want to get an idea of how it goes.
    Have a great day!
    Jeanne

This post was edited by sandlapper_rose on Fri, Aug 22, 14 at 14:09

• Panhandle_Seed_Swap
    9 years ago

Excellent... thank you, Jeanne!

• primrose1x3
    9 years ago

Am so glad for the earlier dates - thankx and looking forward to this one again

• hibiscusfan -Northwest Ohio
    9 years ago

The earlier dates sound good to me.

• cjcjmass
    9 years ago

This sound like a lot of fun I'm in.

• sjc48
    9 years ago

Jeanne, I'm in! Took your advice about the seeds, should have enough to do this swap right! The early dates are good for me and I've got my themes all ready!
    Can't wait!
    Shirley!

• drippy
    9 years ago

It is heartwarming to me to see how you and Michelle have continued this swap through the years, Jeanne. It's always been good and fun, bringing lots of smiles with some of the humorous takes on what fits into themes.

I am not participating in any swaps this fall or winter - rather, I am doing my Johnny Appleseed bit, as we make yet ANOTHER interstate move, this time to Texas. My gardens in Alabama were, of course, better this year than we have been since we moved here. But I am blessed to leave the property in a nice way for whoever the new owners will be. I will probably be doing a bit of container gardening for awhile, but hope to settle into a spot of earth in the environs of Austin before too awfully long. Meanwhile, I "lurk" on the forums and live vicariously through y'all! :)

• Belinda Sisemore
    9 years ago

I want in on this swap when you get ready to do it, email me please suzydaze@yahoo.com
    thanks

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

There is plenty of interest so I am planning to be hostess for this swap. Watch for it to be listed later this month. It will definitely be sometime during the second half of the month so don't get worried.
    Jeanne