Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hdiperna

new: obf~ storybook september

hdiperna
13 years ago

Boxes should be sent by September 20th

There is no box requirement

Do you have a favorite Storybook? For this swap you will be filling your box based on that story!

For Example: Goldilocks and the 3 bears

The box could contain seeds for a cottage style garden, Honey scented soap, bear nicknack/ pot hanger, teddy graham crackers...etc

Please DO NOT POST WHAT STORY BOOK you will be sending. Email me your storybook title and your address. On September 5th I will post the list of Storybook boxes to choose from. First person to sign up for this swap gets first choice of box to receive. We will go in order till all are chosen. When all the boxes are chosen I will post partners. No storybook can be repeated so sign up soon!!

Comments (150)

• sandlapper_rose
    13 years ago

I don't know this story, but considering my garden I will pick Fairy Houses. That can't help but be cute!

Next on the list, it looks like it is Denise.

To All My Blooming Friends -
    Have a great day and Happy Labor Day tomorrow!

Jeanne

• booboobolhuis
    13 years ago

Denise, Beth and Dan...hurry, hurry, I'm excited and I can't wait!!! lol!

Jennifer :)

• beth_b_kodiak
    13 years ago

Meeeee too Jennifer. I'm watching. You still have a while to go.
    This is the most excitement I've had since Christmas!
    BB

• dan_the_mailman
    13 years ago

While we're waiting for Denise (yoohoo, Denise, where are you??? lol) I thought I'd help out and update the list of books.
    Princess and the Frog
    Little House on the Prairie
    Alice in Wonderland - checked out by Diene
    Snow White
    Where the Wild Things are - checked out by Vina
    How do Dinosaurs say Goodnight
    To Kill a Mockingbird
    Fairy Houses - checked out by Jeanne
    Little Chicks Big Day
    Beauty and the Beast

and the order of borrowers left in line is...
    Denise (antiqueorchid)
    Beth (beth_b_kodiak)
    Dan(dan_the_mailman)
    Jennifer (booboobolhuis)
    Dotti (luckyladyd)
    Maryanne(earthlydelights)
    Heidi(hdiperna)

I hope Denise comes by soon! LOL!!! This is just too much fun!

-Dan

• dan_the_mailman
    13 years ago

No Denise yet? Okay. Maybe tomorrow then...

I'll be back.

-Dan

• antiqueorchid
    13 years ago

I am so sorry for holding everyone up.

I choose beauty and the beast.

Denise

• beth_b_kodiak
    13 years ago

I want "To Kill a Mocking Bird".
    Ok Dan, are you still awake? You're up.

• earthlydelights
    13 years ago

hey everyone. i see the picking has begun. this is exciting, even if i'm last.

great books, everyone. i can't wait to be reading posts on how these all turn out.

carol, i was just as lost on those stories too!!!!

remy, thanks for posting the link, what a great event.

our weather today was a gift from God. just gorgeous. perfect temp and now tonight it feels like autumn is on it's way (although i'm sure it will be indian summer instead). was out at a picnic and the day was just perfect.

be back soon!

maryanne(patiently waiting her "turn")

• dan_the_mailman
    13 years ago

Denise, there's no need to apologize... Actually, the delay just helped build the tension/excitement/anticipation, so kudos to you!!! LOL!

Let's see, what shall I read today??? There's...
    Princess and the Frog
    Little House on the Prairie
    Snow White
    To Kill a Mockingbird - checked out by Beth
    Little Chicks Big Day
    Beauty and the Beast - checked out by Denise

I think I'm gonna go with Little House on the Prairie. Those were some pretty cool books, and I don't know how many times I've re-read them all.

Jennifer? It's your turn.

(and now I'm off to bed, and hopefully sleep in...)

G'nite Everyone!
    -Dan

• booboobolhuis
    13 years ago

I pick Snow White! Yay, that was fun :)

Next....

• hdiperna
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Good Morning

Books left
    Princess and the Frog
    Little House on the Prairie -checked out by Dan
    Snow White -checked out by jennifer
    Little Chicks Big Day

Left to pick
    Dotti (luckyladyd)
    Heidi(hdiperna)

Have a great Day

• luckyladyd
    13 years ago

ooh! glad I happened to check in - I think it's my turn. As I am not familiar with any of the three stories that are available, I will just go with How do Dinosaurs say Goodnight. Always wondered about that!

You're up Maryanne! (Isn't this weather just great??!) Worked in the garden all day!

Dottie

• hdiperna
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Books left
    Princess and the Frog
    Little House on the Prairie -checked out by Dan
    Snow White -checked out by jennifer
    How do Dinosaurs say Goodnight -checked out by Dotti
    Little Chicks Big Day

Left to pick
    Heidi(hdiperna)

• earthlydelights
    13 years ago

good morning everyone. with the selections left, i will go with little chicks big day (as that is what my granddaughter's selection is).

looking forward to this!

have a great day everyone.
    maryanne

• hdiperna
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yeah!! I get the Princess and the Frog!

Here are the partners...

Jennifer sends to Diene
    Dan sends to Vina
    Diene sends to Jeanne
    Jeanne sends to Denise
    Maryanne sends to Beth
    Beth sends to Dan
    Dotti sends to Jennifer
    Heidi sends to Dotti
    Vina sends to Maryanne
    Denise sends to Heidi

I didn't get everyones address when they signed up, so please contact your partner if you don't know their address. Remember to post when you send and receive. Boxes need to be sent by the 20th.

Heidi

• diene
    13 years ago

Silly me, I thought we were keeping this a secret well, my box went out this morning and the DC is 9405503699300335331489. I have very little faith in these but it seems to give comfort to some and is free when you do your postage on line so it is no big deal.
    enjoy Jeanne,
    diene

• earthlydelights
    13 years ago

right there with you diene...for some reason i thought it was all a secret until all the boxes arrived.

anyway, beth, i just need a current city and state for you, as long as the street address on your questionnaire is current (there's no city and state listed). i certainly will enjoy sending to you, it's been quite some time.

cannot wait to see how everyone works their book into gardening!

be well everyone!
    maryanne

• beth_b_kodiak
    13 years ago

HI Maryanne,
    It's a PO Box until Christmas so I'm going to go ahead and post it here. The one in the OBF list is still home but we are in the RV for a couple more months before we go home.
    P O Box818
    Coffeyville KS 67337
    it has been a long time but I'm getting more back into gardening than I had been the past couple years. This swap combines two of my greatest loves and I'm really excited to see how everyone does their boxes.
    It's a terrific idea Heide. Thanks again.
    Bethb

• antiqueorchid
    13 years ago

Heidi, I looked your address up on mapquest and we are only 2hrs away from each other. How cool is that? I sent your box out today. Here is you DC# 0309 3220 0001 9041 2165.

Denise

• dan_the_mailman
    13 years ago

It's cold and rainy here right now, so I'm waiting another day or two before doing any digging. The rest of the box is ready to go though. I've got Saturday off, so I'm making that my shipping day.

-Dan

• diene
    13 years ago

Just posted on MNF thread and realized how dry my world has been, we have had two hurricanes miss us and had less than an inch of rain in the entire month of July. All of my plants are starving so I would suggest a nice long bath before anything I send gets put in the ground.
    Have a great night all.

• sandlapper_rose
    13 years ago

Dan, I have the opposite problem - hot, sunny, and dry. We haven't had any rain in quite awhile and temperatures will be in the 90's with no rain for the next week from what they say in the forecast.
    Denise, I have all of your other goodies together so maybe I can water a few plants really well and get your box out soon. I will post when I mail it. I haven't been feeling well lately (again) so that hasn't helped.
    Please excuse me for the delay. I have been thinking about this theme and am having fun with it!
    Jeanne

• luckyladyd
    13 years ago

Remy, I sent you an email. Of course, I messed up and posted on the exchanges page first. Duh! Sorry!

Dottie

• antiqueorchid
    13 years ago

Jeanne, no need to rush if you are not feeling well. Send it when you feel better.

Denise

• sandlapper_rose
    13 years ago

Diene -
    Thank you so much for the wonderful package that arrived today! It really cheered me up.

I admitted that I didn't know about the Fairy House books. Diene sent me Fairy Houses and it is lovely -- and this is the even more special part - it is signed by the author! (How cool is that?!!) The last few pages tell you, by season, how to make your own fairy house.
    Diene sent all sorts of things to draw fairies to my garden. Diene sent some butterfly clam shells and sand dollars for the roof, Cat's Cradle for sleeping fairies, burning bush for warmth, hostas for protection from the sun, siberian iris for light poles for lightning bugs, tiger lily bulbs because 'Tigerlily' was a great friend of the famous fairy 'Tinkerbell' and a golden spirea and an ornamental cherry. The plants made the trip just fine. They will be so surprised once they realize they are in South Carolina! She also tucked in some foot cream (can sure use that), a lovely note, and a Hershey's candy bar. (Did you know my cat's name is Hershey? I won't share it with him though...)
    Anyway, that is one of the nicest swaps I have ever received. Thanks for all the time you put into this. Some days we all need a storybook!
    Jeanne

• sandlapper_rose
    13 years ago

Just a quick follow-up. I also found anemones when I went out to pot up the plants. Diene, I didn't want you to think that they got thrown away with the wrappings.
    Thanks again!
    Jeanne

• diene
    13 years ago

Hello Jeanne;
    I worried when I heard you were not feeling well, I am glad you were up to dealing with the package. I chose the book not only because it is fun and different but it is Maine based and Monhegan Island is known for the fairy houses the visiting children build on the island. I am glad you enjoyed it and I hope you have some little ones to share it with.
    Feel better.
    diene

• earthlydelights
    13 years ago

great first box diene and jeanne.
    i love the way you tied the concept of the book to your box.

i picked something up tonight for my box and hope to get it together to send out by next week.

:::::BETH:::::: do you get to the post office frequently? i just want to plan my box with some of its contents accordingly. if not, i might have to go in another direction on a thing or two.

hope everyone is well. weather today was just fabulous.
    yesterday i canned 17 quarts of tomatoes. turned it into a family affair, everyone helped out and it was wonderful!

be well everyone
    maryanne

• hdiperna
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Good Morning,
    I had an awesome box waiting for me last night when I got home!! Denise Thanks for all of it. The book was Princess and the frog. There was a yellow gazing ball, 3 different frongs, Iris's Prince Charming and Kiss of kisses, tea, 2 coloring book copies of the frog prince for my boys, and a plant called Tibouchina. I am going to have to look this one up. Oh and there were some seeds...Gloriosa Daisy and Echinacea Double Decker. Thank you again Denise. You truly made my day. Sending lots of Hugs!!

Heidi

• antiqueorchid
    13 years ago

Heidi, the 3 matching frogs are feet for a pot. I thought I would mention it just in case you didn't realize that was what they were. The larger cement frog is a garden frog or you can use it indoors. Glad you liked your box.

Denise

• beth_b_kodiak
    13 years ago

Hi MAryanne, we go to the PO at lease every Wed and Sat but go every day if we are expecting something. In general, we don't get much mail.
    Heidi and Denise that box with the frogs sounds really cute. This(kids books) is one of the neatest themes I have seen for a swap. A bit challenging but that's what makes it fun.
    BB

• earthlydelights
    13 years ago

got it beth, thanks. i'll make sure i mail for that, but will give you a heads up. i have seomthing in mind, but don't want it to just wilt in the post office.

and dang, i didn't do a kid book, i didn't realize it until just now after reading beth's post. oh well....

great box denise. i love the frogs as well.

we are headed to the mountains for a few days. i need to get a new water heater, or at least the one i have, fixed. so a little R&R and work. then next week i will devote to completing my box. the weather is build a fire type, so i'm looking forward to that as well.

be well everyone.
    maryanne

• antiqueorchid
    13 years ago

Beth and Maryanne, I had alot of fun picking stuff out for my theme box. Thank you for the compliments.

• booboobolhuis
    13 years ago

Diene,

Your box is almost done, only a couple more things then it will be on it's way next week. I'm so excited,lol!!!

Jennifer :)

• dan_the_mailman
    13 years ago

I just got back from digging in the rain (which was kind of fun! I felt like a little kid!) and going to the post office with 3 boxes for different swaps. Vina, the dc# for your box is 0310 0480 0001 5590 8028.

• flowergirl34
    13 years ago

Hi All!
    Maryanne, your box will be going out on Monday morning. Which is good because I see your in the mountains :)

A greenhouse had there annual sale today and it was so much fun! I managed a few good deals, but there were SO MANY people!! Last year there was maybe half as many...boy it sure got the adrenaline going! :)

Woohoo Dan!! Can't wait to see what 'Wild Things' you sent!

Have a great weekend all!
    vina

• diene
    13 years ago

I am as excited if not more to be receiving your box Jennifer, it is like a mini Christmas whenever a box shows up. thanks.
    diene

• sandlapper_rose
    13 years ago

I hope no one minds, but I was going to do a fiction book related swap in November for OBF and I know I can't top the creativity that Heidi showed this month so I am going to change my theme. There are plenty of themes I can draw from in November - autumn, Thanksgiving, and Christmas (I really think November is not too early to be thinking of Christmas --- heck, the stores are ready for it before Thanksgiving!)
    Anyway, I have not picked a theme yet, but just wanted to let you know it will be a different one. Pondering... pondering... pondering... I should wait to see what is posted for October before I decide.
    Have a good rest of the weekend, everyone. They say we may get some rain later today so I am hopeful. I went out to water my plants earlier and they are so dry.
    Denise, even if it does not rain, I will saturate a few plants tomorrow and can hopefully mail your package on Monday.
    Jeanne

• sandlapper_rose
    13 years ago

Ah..ha... I already have an idea for November! I will e-mail it to a few members at random and see what you think of it. It never takes me long to come up with an idea. I have too many of them! LOL
    Jeanne

• luckyladyd
    13 years ago

Hi everybody, The weather is finally nice enough to go outside. The mozzies are even less active. Yea!

Jennifer, I am working on your box. DH is gone for a few days on a trip, so I may make some progress! Will post when I post it.

Dottie

• dan_the_mailman
    13 years ago

Jeanne had an idea for November for a seed cocktail swap. There wasn't enough interest to make it happen, but I liked the idea so much that, after talking with her via e-mail, I went ahead and posted it as an individual seed swap. I may need a few drinks before it's all over, but it's posted, and you all are invited to join in if you wish.
    What's a seed cocktail swap? Glad you asked! Basically, in its purest form, you send in packets of seed with individual varieties of a type of plant, and get back mixes, which will provide you a lot of surprises next year when they grow. Talk about your garden mysteries! Anyway, come play if you wish, it should shape up to be a lot of fun!

-Dan

• sandlapper_rose
    13 years ago

Denise,
    I mailed your package this morning and the lady at the post office says it should arrive on Wed. so we will see. Hope so - I tucked a few plants in there. They are littler than I had hoped. This summer has been rough on my garden, but I sure had fun shopping for the other things in the package.

Delivery Confirmation: 03100480000230667994

Have a good week!
    Jeanne

• flowergirl34
    13 years ago

Hi all!
    My package arrived from Dan today for the "Where The Wild Things Are".

He sent:
    a bag of Sour Patch Kids
    a bag of Jolly Ranchers (eating one right now)
    Wild Animal~maybe Gargoyle ceramic bust...do you think he could go outside?
    KING playing cards
    paint suncatcher...my daughter will love the craft project
    2011 flower calendar...THANK YOU...was going to go get one this week actually.
    and a bunch of plants all together. I think they are suppose to be the foresty jungle.
    Dan, do you know the names of what you sent? there was no label and they weren't wrapped.

Maryanne, will be posting later!

Have a great day!!
    vina

• dan_the_mailman
    13 years ago

Vina, the Sour Patch Kids represent Max, who was being such a sour kid he had to go to bed without his supper. The Jolly Ranchers are there because he had a jolly time during the Romp with the Wild Things. The gargoyle is a Wild Thing, the cards for the games Max and the W.T.s played, the calendar so you can keep track of your future swaps, and the suncatcher because all was right in the end of the book. And you're right, the plants are so you can grow your own jungle and have a Wild Romp of your own! LOL!
    The plants include yucca, begonia, golden glow echinacea, goldenrod, and one or two I can't remember at the moment. Make sure you give the g.g.e plenty of room, it'll grow quite tall in a good summer. I've seen summers when it grew 6'-7' tall.

• beth_b_kodiak
    13 years ago

Dan, with any luck, I'll be mailing tomorrow.
    BB

• dan_the_mailman
    13 years ago

Cool. All I can picture is tumbleweeds and sod, so I'm looking forward to seeing what all you do...lol!

• antiqueorchid
    13 years ago

Yay! I got my box today.

Jeanne sent a box full. In the box I found:
    Double Balloon Flower
    Strawberry Foxglove
    Iris-do you know the color?
    5 packs of seed B. Berry, Lions Tail, Carnation, snake gourd, & purple carrot. Also, seed starter 6 cell trays.
    Chamomile tea-Yum
    A puzzle with a tea scene
    Markers/homemade bag to hold them with lady bugs on it. CUTE!
    Sticky note pads-very pretty
    playing cards
    and a Beauty and the Beast book that my daughter claimed.

I hope I didn't miss anything.

Jeanne, Thank you! It looks like you put alot of thought into your theme box.

Denise

• earthlydelights
    13 years ago

Hi everyone, hope you are having a stress-free thursday.

I received my box today from vina and what a great box it is. sorry my grandbabe wasn't here when i opened it, because i can tell right now the things she will claim!!!!!

the story i chose was "little chicks big day". in the story book the little chick watched a dragonfly zig zag through the sunshine and watched a butterfly sip from a morning glory. to that end, i received white morning glory seeds.

i also received a mother chick and baby chick statute, who are the "stars of the show". a sweet little frog plant sitter (pond buddy) and a mini picnic basket filled with seeds. (i know my g-babe will covet this most adorable basket). and since no farm is complete without plants, i received:

hens and chicks!!!!
    hollyhock carnival carousel mix
    purple coopers ice plant
    snow crocus mix
    columbine william guiness
    and blue mist shrub

and last but not least, a bag of hershey kisses for strength!!!!

VINA...GREAT BOX. i absolutely love everything about it. well put together, well wrapped and i love all the little notes

thanks so much, i appreciate these plants for years to come and will enjoy reading the story to my granddaughter.

what a great theme for swap, heidi. this was a lot of fun.

beth.....i am waiting on one more thing. i had hoped it would have come today but since the mailman came and went, it did not. i will mail on time though and i will let you know when i return from the post office!

thanks again
    maryanne

• beth_b_kodiak
    13 years ago

NO hurry Maryanne. I'm sure I will enjoy it whenever it arrives.
    It seems the swaps have been ending too early in the month anyway. I'd rather have them end nearer to time for the next one to be starting.
    Dan, your package is in the mail
    DC# 0310 0480 0003 0992 1446
    No tumble weeds but I had a blast putting it together and hope it brings you some smiles too.
    BB

• luckyladyd
    13 years ago

Hi everyone! Finally, rain and it's lovely!

Jennifer, your box has gone out: DC 0309 3220 0000 3615 4976. The post office lady said probably Saturday delivery.
    There's a string of plant-sellers here called Ash's Flower Farm. They have a 75% off sale every August/Sept. I went a little nuts and have 4 trees and 28 shrubs to plant now! But, seriously, how do you pass up a 5 year old Japanese weeping fern-leaf red maple for $12.50?? I just LOVE being a gardener!

Dottie