Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hermitonthehill

update: white elephant swap continued

hermitonthehill
16 years ago

Vela, et al, I apologize for taking the liberty of beginning a continued thread on the White Elephant Swap. I went to post, but was informed that the thread had reached a maximum number of replies and basically this was the thing to do.

For anyone new - I feel I should reiterate that anyone not already "in" this swap, has until 9 PM tonight (Sunday) to post the contents of their box and email Vela at vkupfner@yahoo.com directly with your GW SN and name/mailing address - she started all of this and is the uber-organizer. :)

For everyone else, hrmm, well maybe with a continuation/new thread, this is our opportunity to re-finalize our lists?

I can say now for sure, after counting them up, that amidst other things in the box I will send, there are at least 26 (twenty-six) different types of "tea" for whomever the recipient will be. These range from true tea (from the tea plant) to what are technically herbal or other botanical mixes for infusions. There's actually TWO OTHERS that I want to include, but am currently out of (because we drink so much of them here hehehe) that I should have time to re-stock and be able to include them as well. I told you all that I really liked tea. :) I think it's a nice selection though for varying personal tastes, home remedies, to go with different foods/cuisine, or for different times of the day, different seasons, etc. AND miracle of miracles, I DID pin down the Stevia Plus, so that too will be included.

I haven't yet specifically listed some of the "odds n ends" cuttings or plants, because I want them to go into the box "fresh", rather than sitting here boxed-up and waiting for the end of the swap/actual mailing day. I did forget to list the Wild Virginia Mountain Mint that I will include. I hope that since Vela has things "open" for under the radar joiners until 9 PM, that I can get a truly concise list together so there's not so much guessing or wondering by anyone and I can post it to be read clearly.

I want to thank Vela and everyone else that is a part of this White Elephant Swap/RR... after and while all of the less-than-pleasant things going on here lately that is zapping me of energy and focus, putting a box together for this has been a very cheery point for me as it allows me to share some of the "little things" that are "perks" for me, even when it feels like the weight of the world is coming down on me. I hope these little things will be perks for the recipient of my box as well. I really hope that there will be another "anything goes"/White Elephant swap in the future - this one just got the juices flowing!

Hermit

Comments (114)

• hazelnutbunny
    16 years ago

*Smile* :O)
    Melissa

• hermitonthehill
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Cedarnest, et al, do you think a completely non-plant/seeds/tubers/cuttings/etc. swap might be of interest? And if so, do you think such a swap or RR would be better suited to the "winter months" when actual gardening is usually limited or non-existent with most GW members? (unless they live in a zone conducive to actually growing stuff during those months - wintersowing not "counting", or are growing things indoors or in greenhouses or a focus on houseplants or such)

I tried to put my "box" together with a mix of unquestionably garden/plant related & non-plant/gardening stuff. I wondered though, especially when the kids caught wind of this swap, if maybe I just should have put together two entirely different boxes (and have the most interested kid/daughter on the swap list, albeit via my account since I'm the only one with a GW account to keep things simpler within the household).

I also wondered if anyone thought that a box-contents-totally-unknown swap would be of interest? And maybe like putting a "cap" on it, like limited to a flat-rate box (two sizes that I know of with USPS, or at least varying dimensions) or even a flat-rate priority mail envelope to have people limited to the same amount paid for postage, and at the same time possibly have to get creative in what they put into a box because of the size limit or dimensions.

I had an idea for a different sort of swap the other day, but never ironed out any details because things got funky with Kern's passing. I'm not sure if it would be of interest to ANYONE on GW or not in the RR forum... I should probably check other forums to see if there is any trace of a similar or same idea already around or done in the past.

So many of you so hyped about that Destined To See... and at first I thought to myself "well no worries from me, I'm just now 'getting into' daylilies thanks to my grandmother"... and then later I realized that THAT daylily was one on my cruising-the-web-wish-list...and to make matters worse, the others in that box aren't anything to snuff at and I'd love to have them in my garden. I guess that makes me a potential "threat" now LOL Though, in all honesty, that box isn't actually my first or second "preference"... On the daylily front, I only bought one this year that caught my eye, it's called "Strawberry Candy". I wish it were big enough to already divide from so that I could have offered it up in this swap. I can easily see why (from the web-cruising I've done) why and how so many of you are so taken or otherwise 'into' daylilies. :)

I keep having to remind myself that in the second round, if a box is "stolen" from us, we get the box that the "thief" is 'holding'... that hasn't really sunk into my head yet.

Geesh, after 11 PM here and it's still in the 80s... anyone else involved in this white elephant swap that is contending with a "heat advisory" status in their area?

• hazelnutbunny
    16 years ago

• vela75
    16 years ago

Ok bunny, now I'M scared. LOL!

• rockyridge
    16 years ago

Hermit,

I'm in the microwave with ya! This morning at 5 a.m. when I got up it was still 80 degrees. Predicting 105 today actual temperature; and should get about 115, 120 with the heat index figured in.

Note to self......go to post office E A R L Y!!!

I live in North Carolina 80 miles east of Charlotte and about 30 miles from the South Carolina border. They say it is supposed to 'cool down' to a mere 90 by Sunday. I never thought 90 would sound so good!!!

Roxanne

• poisondartfrog
    16 years ago

Miserable here too-today it's supposed to cool down to actual temperature of 97 from yesterday's 100 and we are supposed to hit 90 Saturday before starting back up the scale for next week. The humidity is stifling. We have had quite a bit of wind, unfortunately it feels like it's blowing from a blast furnace. I will be interested to see how this year stacks up statistically to other years; it has certainly felt "different" all year.

• karenh71867
    16 years ago

Hi everyone!
    I will be out of town this afternoon until tomorrow night, so if it makes it to my turn, please know I will happily take what ever box is left!! Stay cool everyone! We'll be in the Twin Cities for a visit, and on Friday spend the day at Valley Fair. It is suppose to be 90. I was hoping for the 80's, but I'll take 90 over 100!!

• klickitat
    16 years ago

Hi ladies!!! It's supposed to hit 100 today... the highest temp since 1980. :( Don't forget the humidity. Makes it feel a good 10 degrees higher. Ugh. Good thing I work the night shift and don't have to go back outside today.

So where are we at with the swap? I can't wait to see how it turns out!

• Melinda Hagen
    16 years ago

Yes, It is miserably hot here! Everything was rotting earlier this year from rain and now it is burning up! The wind is so strong which helps but dries out the ground instantly when watering. Water for a couple hours everyday and doesn't seem to help at all!
    Anxious to get to me!! Want to pick a box-but which one! Melinda

• poisondartfrog
    16 years ago

I guess if we don't hear from Firegurl this evening Vela will do the honors and get this swap rolling again. The more time I have to consider, the more my top 5 favorites changes. I may resort to Nancy's method of selection.

• vela75
    16 years ago

I am posting on behalf of firegurl...using the scientific method (i.e. draw out of a hat method), Firegurl chooses box #6 Hazelnutbunnies box

• vela75
    16 years ago

It is now Wynatives turn all boxes available except 6, 7, 9 and 13.

• hazelnutbunny
    16 years ago

Yay! Someone - in a VERY round-about way - chose my box! Wheeee!! :O)

• hermitonthehill
    Original Author
    16 years ago

(to the tune of Rolling-Rolling-Rolling Rawhide...) Roasting, Roasting, Roasting, tan my hide! Yup, what little wind we get, does indeed feel like it's coming from a blast furnace... I may be cremated before the end of the month if things keep up like this.

I'll be semi-silently bummed that Firegurl didn't get to choose for herself, but not over the top dramatic about it, for all I know she might have been so hard pressed to choose she may have resorted to numbers in a hat too! But the other part of me says Yeah! One participant's choice away from being my turn in round 1! Woohoo! Now, the trick is to NOT look at my list of choices like I jotted them down, so that I don't get myself all tied up in knots second, third, and fourth guessing my decisions *again*!

Trying to distract myself... I have to unload some stuff from my 'van tonight - in the dark, but certainly cooler than how it was today (again, well over 100F and then some)... the humidity is indeed stifling, yet not enough humidity to actually brew up even a light (rain) shower for us... I HAVE to unload stuff from the 'van though because, provided everything goes according to plan, we have a "new" rescue being picked up tomorrow morning and joining us. Not a canine - it would be a really bad time for another canine after Kernunnos' passing earlier this week, but rather, a ball python. It's been a long time since we had a keepable snake in Sanctuary. By keepable I mean not one of the many varieties of wild snakes that we've taken in, injured or sick, nursed back to health and then released back into the wild. The ball python was vetted by the lady who is relinquishing her and supposed to be mite and otherwise parasite-free and healthy and the vet cited a female on gender, so I'm pretty psyched up about having her join us. I/we haven't had any constrictors since before the kids were born, so it will be a new experience for them, though they have had experience with venomous snakes - so we'll just have to transfer their understanding of the potential "danger" from venomous to constriction... well, being bitten by even a non-venomous snake can result in a nasty infection, but as long as one is on top of things, rarely fatal. I hope this snake-talk isn't making anyone cringe? There's method to my madness really. Aside from liking snakes (and other herps) in general, actually having one that cannot (should not, illegal, morally wrong, etc.) be released provides me with the Joy (and I mean that, I'm not being sarcastic) of customizing a habitat for her - that means I get to re-research her species, native habitat (neither the current owner nor I know if she was bred in captivity or wild-caught originally) and PLANTS... wooooohoooo! She's been kept in glass containment, so I have plenty of time to double-check all of my research (amazing how much stuff you forget when you haven't had a species for such a long time) and "start from scratch" on her customized habitat. And, as an added...

• vela75
    16 years ago

Well, I'm not too worried about round one since noone is going to end up with that box anyway unless they're lucky enough to want it and noone else does. Round one is just to get all of the boxes "in play"...I'll be more hesitant to choose someone's box in round two. Just be sure to let me know your choices. It may be wise for everyone just to send me their top choice anyway before round two begins...I promise I'll keep it a secret. That way if your computer goes down or something unexpected happens, you still get your choice. Just a thought. If you would like to send me your choice, please do, and if you'd rather just play that's fine too. I just hope everyone is having FUN!!

• poisondartfrog
    16 years ago

Hermit, what fun to have the opportunity to design that habitat! I've always had frogs as my fur free pets, but my oldest son Ian was given a Ball Python when he was in high school by a friend who purchased the snake and whose mother made him get rid of it when she found out (he kept it hidden for 2 months, somehow). Beautiful animal!

• wynative
    16 years ago

Good morning!

Bunny ~ LOVED the wolf/bunny pictures LOL!!

Hermit ~ OMG! A Ball Python! Lucky, lucky you! My husband is really freaked out by any snake or lizard (he says they are snakes with out legs - rolling my eyes!) Before I met him, me & my kids had snakes, lizard, frogs & any other creepy crawly they couldn't live without. But my favorite was a Diamond Back Rattler named Clyde. Clyde was 3+ feet long and a great 'guard dog' :) After people found out that we had him, I didn't even have to lock my doors! We found him in our yard and after 3 different times of moving him to different locations and him coming back, the kids convinced me to keep him for awhile. He was a great experience for us and became like one of the family. Although my sons hamsters learned to not take their balls anywhere near his cage! LOL

Here is my pick ~

#15 ~ Hermitonthehill ~ love the "Velma's Cactus" and the tea's!

Next......

• vela75
    16 years ago

Hermit's Turn!! :-)

• hermitonthehill
    Original Author
    16 years ago

WYNative, you can let your hubby know that actually, the snakes (notably the pythons) came after the lizards. :) The "bits" on either side of their vent underneath are residual of when they evolved from lizards and "lost" their legs. Clyde sounds like he was destined to be "captive" for a time and share his wisdom with you. :) Things today did indeed go well - though for a time, knocking on the door for a long time in the heat and carrying on a conversation with the gal's 2 yo at a window, we wondered if something had gone terribly wrong or what exactly - but eventually contact made in the flesh! And we brought her (the ball python) home with us. It had been awhile since she had eaten, about 2 weeks past her "norm" (though I kinda got the feeling it might have been longer), so I only picked up one feeder rat en route home for her. New people, new environment, new everything - I figured this would naturally put her "off" of eating... but the lady had told me it wouldn't. She was right. I wish I had picked up a second rat (she usually eats two of the size I picked up, every two weeks I was told). I had the snake in hand/arm, and my son opened the box the rat was in and I told him to make sure the rat didn't react to the snake by jumping out of the box, he was unsure how to handle it, so I took the box - the moment where she laid eyes on the rat, snapped up its head, and coiled several inches around the rat's body constricting were absolutely instantaneous! She is FAST! And she was HUNGRY! You would not believe this python's personality - so very, very different from every other ball python I've had or met - she VERY sociable! I know it was hard for this lady to part with her snake, she edged on tears, but for the same reason she chose me/us over others to re-home her, she also knew/knows that her "baby" will be just fine with us. The love and socialization and handling that this lady provided for almost the last three years with this snake is blatantly evident. (we also came home with two kittens that she found out after the fact, her 2 yo is allergic to - not sure if we will re-home or if we'll get attached before that happens). Before I fed her, I brought her in to "meet" my husband in hand/arm, privately without the kids around (or one particular dog who really wants to know what I brought home - that dog is "mine", if you will, and he doesn't understand why I wouldn't let him even sniff -- while she couldn't eat him, I know this snake is strong enough to constrict around his throat and if she bit him, it could turn nasty with infection and then I'd have to explain to the vet how the dog was bitten by a snake native to Africa, and so on - easier to just tell the dog "no") because I really wanted to feel him out on his impression of her/the snake. I was surprised when he was relatively quick to take her in hand himself (after she'd already made it a point to sniff him and start working her way up and around his legs as he sat somewhat...

• Debra Andruska
    16 years ago

Oooohhh, I'm next!
    I choose #2 Wynative's box (Marie's)

Deb

• beckilove
    16 years ago

Oh, goodie! I'll jump right in and say I want cedarnest's box #3!!! Whoopee!

Becki

• poisondartfrog
    16 years ago

My, my; a lot has happened with this thread since lunch time.
    Hermit, Ian and Monty moved about an hour away to Knoxville, but he sometimes visits. Monty that is; Ian is a regular visitor. And sadly I find myself frogless for the first time in 30 years. I have had a number of different frogs, exotic and native, but my favorite by far has been our native American Green Tree Frog. They hitchhike in on plants most autumns. They have so much personality! I had one for a long time that had the run of my bathroom. It was a large bathroom and filled with ferns and other plants and he was free to roam. When I took a shower he would cling to the shower wall and sing. I forgot about him once when I had a guest shower in my bathroom and they got quite a surprise when he started his high pitched trill. After being content with the bathroom as his domain for a long time he started showing up other places, clinging to windows and trilling plaintively. It was obvious he was ready to move on. One day my husband was making a sandwich and there he was, in the bag with the loaf of bread. I released him the next morning as he was clearly in danger of being dogged.

I have it narrowed down to three boxes and I am drawing a number now from those three-drawing a number-number 12, Paya's box.

• Melinda Hagen
    16 years ago

I too have had a hard time deciding and just picked a number! Box # 5.
    Now it is Veeja's turn!

• veeja11
    16 years ago

Wow, finally, I have had box #4 in mind for quite awhile and it is still here, but is firegirl? I'll chance it. so #4 be it.ok bunny were coming after you or maybe I foud a destined to see we shall see.{{gwi:2104032}}hugs carol

• poisondartfrog
    16 years ago

Ah, but Veeja, you may not be the only one with Destined to See on your radar. Even if you did find it, someone else may be lurking out there, watching and waiting....

• paya10shn
    16 years ago

ok........ It is getting so close for me to choose.. I am so excited. !!!! I am getting ready to go home for the day....... I won't be back on my computer till tomorrow... So... If my turn comes up today for this first round... Please someone pick for me.......

Thank you , Thank you !!!

• hazelnutbunny
    16 years ago

Woooo! That's a man-eating bunny if ever I saw one!! Wow. LOL

Yay! 4 more left before the next round! Whoo-Hoo! This is gonna get good!

• vela75
    16 years ago

I was out in the sun all day and I'm not feeling well at all.....so please excuse me for not being around today..looks like there are four left for the first round. Yay!! Have fun and I'll check in tomorrow.

• klickitat
    16 years ago

I believe it's my turn!!! Excellent! I'm going to keep it simple and.....

.... choose......

Box #1

Next?

• veeja11
    16 years ago

Bunny there is a poisionus frog after you, worse than a wolf, be careful. come on you last three pick. Nancy thankyou for picking my box. do you have a doggie, or should I change the toy to another critter? go girls. hugs carol

• firegurl
    16 years ago

Hi Everyone!!!
    My SINCEREST APOLOGIES for holding up the swap! I am still on vacation. Unfortunately my Mom's internet has been down since I arrived and I had no idea what to do. I am so sorry. I went over to my sisters to use hers and let everyone know that I am still here and my box will still be ready to go out when I get home, I promise, no worries Veeja- or whoever ends up with my box. Vela--Thank you so much for picking for me. I would be very happy to receive Hazelnutbunnys box or any other for that matter. The ironic thing is that was actually my pick. I can't find apple jelly anywhere and was seriously tempted when I saw that as it's my favorite. Well I'm glad that you guys continued without me, I've been really stressed thinking that everyone was going to be angry about waiting and wondering.
    Well everything is beautiful here in Connecticut, wow it has been humid! It's such a nice change from dry california. I went looking for monarchs yesterday and found tons of caterpillars on the milkweed in the field. There were so many and all were at different stages, some tiny some big. It was amazing. Hope everyone is having a beautiful weekend. Thanks again for putting up with me.
    P.s.I will also be adding a rose cutting- "Neptune" a light blue-lavender rose to my box, hope it's not too late to do that-if so please let me know and I won't add it, I feel bad about making everyone wait for me and it's growing so quickly and beautifully.
    :) Danielle
    Firegurl

• beckilove
    16 years ago

Good to hear from you, Danielle! Sounds like you are having a good time! Don't feel badly, you warned us all that you were going to be on vacation! Have a wonderful time, darlin'!
    Rebecca

• poisondartfrog
    16 years ago

Hey firegurl, glad to hear that things are okay with you!
    No reason to feel bad. Sometimes things happen that are out of our control. You have not missed out. The real fun is only about to begin!

• klickitat
    16 years ago

Yay! Only 3 more picks to go before we get to the down and dirty part of the game. Heh.

• veeja11
    16 years ago

ok taking root are you somewhere rooting? pull your feet up and get over here, lots of us wanna go rabbit hunting. hugs carol

• hazelnutbunny
    16 years ago

Okay...maybe it's just me...but I get a weird feeling after Veeja talks about hunting poor, innocent little bunnies (me) and then gives HUGS. Hhmmmm... Do I run?? Or embrace??

• hermitonthehill
    Original Author
    16 years ago

PDF - definitely sounds like the tree frog found his ideal home for a good long while. I would have loved to have seen your guest's face in in the shower when they discovered they weren't alone! I'm betting your house-frog had some "magic" to share with you - but that would have been the end once it showed up in food! Of course maybe it began expanding its territory when/if prey ran out where you had all of the plants where it had settled in for so long?

Bunny hunting? Well, if it makes you feel any better HNB, the ball python isn't big enough to prey upon rabbits - not unless it's kits anyway. :)

Ooooo a "Neptune" being added is so cool! It sounds a lot like "Sterling Silver" - a rose I *used* to have for my son Sterling. Unfortunately it didn't survive its first winter here and I haven't seen another one available locally since. What a bummer. "Neptune" sounds a lot like it though!

Enjoyed the "garden party" yesterday with a small local group, but things have otherwise gone down hill over the weekend. The twins are "out" of their babysitting job and still no job prospects for us grown-ups here either. Things are bound to get worse before they get better at this rate. I may end up resorting to having to do my email and stuff from my parents' if we end up having to disconnect phone and electric and farm the kids out. At least I've got a couple of swaps to look forward to if nothing else!

When round 1 is done, will a list be posted and updated of everyone in the swap and what boxes they are "holding" so I don't get all confused? (which is really easy for me to do here lately - too much on my mind)

Think I'm going to have some flavoured cocoa - comfort foods!

Hermit

• veeja11
    16 years ago

I need roses, I left all of mine at my old house so add all you want. hugs carol

• TakingRoot
    16 years ago

Yeah, my turn.....

Oh Carol, you are too funny! Not rooting.....more like melting....way to Hot!
    I'm having too much fun reading all the post....
    You all are just crackin' me up, so....

Rabbit hunting it is.....LOL!

I PICK BOX #11.

Takingroot/Jaye

• paya10shn
    16 years ago

I guess I didn't miss a thing....... I choose box # 14. My birthday is the 14th ... So I think it is perfect.

• karenh71867
    16 years ago

Yeaa, my turn!! Lets see... I'd love to have box #8!! I love all the boxes! My daughter would love the bracelets.

On to round 2!!

• hazelnutbunny
    16 years ago

YAY! Round 2!! Let's get started, Miss Vela!!! :O) :O)
    Please take your time....BUT HURRY!!!! LOL

Great picture, Root!!!
    Oohhh....FINALLY!!! The bunny wins!!! :O)

• Debra Andruska
    16 years ago

Oooohhh round #2 yay!

Deb

• klickitat
    16 years ago

Should there be a new thread for Round #2?? That might make it easier to follow...

• hermitonthehill
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I think that would be a good idea.. like "White Elephant Round 2!!" but we could still finish filling up THIS thread with our chatter until it hits 150 msgs? I think I saved a copy of the boxes' contents in my yahoo notepad to refer back to, but I will still "need" a running list of who has what box at any given time or leastwise I think it would be useful - that way if any "stealing" does indeed happen, we can just look at the running list and see which box we are getting when we've been "thieved" :)

• veeja11
    16 years ago

Ok Vela, hand out the guns, seems to be a lot of bunny hunters out there, ok I'm gonna hug bunny, maybe someone can get a good shot, just be careful not to hit me. hugs carol

• Melinda Hagen
    16 years ago

Yes, I hope Vela is doing ok, she was feeling bad due to the heat! I hope everyone is doing ok. So hot and dry here now! Burn ban and heat index on and telling people not to go outside! Everything is burning up no matter how much I water! Just hoping to keep roots alive so they will come back next year!
    I too love all the boxes and can't wait for round # 2 to begin! I won't be doing any bunny hunting but hope everyone is happy with there hunt! I would be happy with any of them really! Melinda

• cedarnest
    16 years ago

I hear ya Melinda.I don't think I have seen one box I wouldn't be happy as a clam to receive.You all have really made this great : )
    Nancy

• vela75
    16 years ago

Sorry I was having major computer crashes last night...I think I have the bugs workd out. I have to go to work but I'll post tonight.

• vela75
    16 years ago

I am starting the new thread with round 2 :-)