Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
update: white elephant swap continued

Posted by hermitonthehill 7a/b (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 5, 07 at 18:13

Vela, et al, I apologize for taking the liberty of beginning a continued thread on the White Elephant Swap. I went to post, but was informed that the thread had reached a maximum number of replies and basically this was the thing to do.

For anyone new - I feel I should reiterate that anyone not already "in" this swap, has until 9 PM tonight (Sunday) to post the contents of their box and email Vela at vkupfner@yahoo.com directly with your GW SN and name/mailing address - she started all of this and is the uber-organizer. :)

For everyone else, hrmm, well maybe with a continuation/new thread, this is our opportunity to re-finalize our lists?

I can say now for sure, after counting them up, that amidst other things in the box I will send, there are at least 26 (twenty-six) different types of "tea" for whomever the recipient will be. These range from true tea (from the tea plant) to what are technically herbal or other botanical mixes for infusions. There's actually TWO OTHERS that I want to include, but am currently out of (because we drink so much of them here hehehe) that I should have time to re-stock and be able to include them as well. I told you all that I really liked tea. :) I think it's a nice selection though for varying personal tastes, home remedies, to go with different foods/cuisine, or for different times of the day, different seasons, etc. AND miracle of miracles, I DID pin down the Stevia Plus, so that too will be included.

I haven't yet specifically listed some of the "odds n ends" cuttings or plants, because I want them to go into the box "fresh", rather than sitting here boxed-up and waiting for the end of the swap/actual mailing day. I did forget to list the Wild Virginia Mountain Mint that I will include. I hope that since Vela has things "open" for under the radar joiners until 9 PM, that I can get a truly concise list together so there's not so much guessing or wondering by anyone and I can post it to be read clearly.

I want to thank Vela and everyone else that is a part of this White Elephant Swap/RR... after and while all of the less-than-pleasant things going on here lately that is zapping me of energy and focus, putting a box together for this has been a very cheery point for me as it allows me to share some of the "little things" that are "perks" for me, even when it feels like the weight of the world is coming down on me. I hope these little things will be perks for the recipient of my box as well. I really hope that there will be another "anything goes"/White Elephant swap in the future - this one just got the juices flowing!

Hermit

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: update: white elephant swap continued

Thanks for starting a new thread Hermit.I never realized the other one reached the limit until I checked earlier.
Well since I was the last post on the old thread and I don't want Vela to miss my question I will post it on this new thread too.
I might need to do a little adjusting on the contents of my box.When I listed the contents I did so without any consideration of how long this whole swapping game could possibly take before we ship our boxes.That never even crossed my mind.LOL.. and some of the things I am dividing for the swap might not be available by the swaps end if it takes an extra long time as I think it probably will. I will do an edit on my list and make sure the absolute final list is on here by tomorrow Monday am if thats ok Vela?

Nancy

o

THANK YOU HERMIT!!!

I didn't realize we had chatted so much LOL!

Nancy, that's fine. My daughter had a sleepover at a friend's house last night and my MIL decided to have a "grandaughter" sleepover tonight, so we're feeling a little sorry for my son and decided to take him to a movie tonight, so it will be tomorrow before I post the swap list anyway. I never do anything on the weekends, but this weekend has been non-stop.....go figure.

This is going to be soooo much fun!!

o

I wanted to re-post this incase Alana doesn't go back to the old thread...

ALANA!!!! Thank you soooo much for sending me an AWESOME Blossom daylily!! I was so surprised, and was so excited!!! That was sooooo nice of you to send it! I guess I can take it off of my wish list now, huh? YAY!!!! It's already planted and I'm anxiously awaiting next year (or perhaps the next)!!!!

o

Hi Hermit! I just noticed your post from the other thread...I am compliling a list of boxes, so no need to "clean up" your list. :-)

o

LOL! That's Compiling, not compliling

o

Kalena, I still need your address. Please send to vkupfner@yahoo.com (I don't get e-mails through gardenweb). Thanks!
I printed out the entire last thread (42 printed pages LOL!) But it's easier to look at in my hand than it is to read online (I'm weird that way). So, I am in the process of getting everything ready to post, will draw names and have everything listed tomorrow evening. So, everyone be sure to check in tomorrow night to see if you are the first in line to pick your box! Then, just please try to check in atleast once daily to see if it is your turn to pick. Pay attention to my posts, as they will be attempts at keeping things organized so it won't be so confusing.

o

I didn't realize there was a maximum # of messages to a thread before... I just knew there are a lot of loooooong threads here on GW forums (not just the RR forum)... so it was new to me, but now makes some of those "name +#" thread titles make more sense to me - they're "continuations" as well. (it would be easier for me if they included the word "continued" or "continuation" or even just "cont'" in the titling along with the number)

I would like to make a little request or suggestion if I may? And to be honest, earlier I was thinking maybe some sort of RR with "this" as a part of it would be fun... anyway, I, personally, think it would be really, really great if when each of us goes to mail out our boxes, that we bug our post office personnel or postmaster to show us all of their stamps - so that we can choose "cool" stamps. The "Pollination" series of stamps FINALLY came out - I'd been waiting on those since last year. There's four in the set/series depicting a hummingbird, bat, bees, and butterflies... while I collected stamps in my youth, I don't anymore, EXCEPT that I have a penchant for some of the garden, wildlife, and some select other "themes". I don't care anymore whether a stamp is stamped/postmarked or uncirculated/mint - I just started collecting them again - those that catch my eye when I get a piece of mail... eventually I'll probably put them together under glass in a frame. The POs generally prefer to use an exact-postage stamp (like the stamp that is specifically for Priority Mail) or metered stickies - and I know it's easy for some to print postage from online... but I really like hand picking stamps to put on parcels so that it's not just postage, but an extra little somethin'-somethin' that comes along with whatever is in the envelope or box... I missed out on a lot of the regional stamps that had wildlife from different areas - only got one locally (a sheet with the whole picture) and one on eBay... back when stamps were 37 cents, but I'd love to be able to get my hands on some of the others, even if collected one postmarked stamp at a time. I hope this makes sense???

I'm holding off on digging up plants that are rooted in the ground until I actually know who I am mailing to, have an address, and know what day I am getting to the PO... same with cuttings, etc. The heat we are having is just AWFUL. If anyone else is contending with heat, a bit of forewarning on shipping live botanicals - watch it on plastic and/or moisture. I received a GREAT succulent in a recent RR, but unfortunately between moisture and plastic, it arrived with fuzzy mold growing on it. The top-growth is dead, so I'm just praying that it returns from the rootstock. Even though the PO is temperature/climate controlled, I know that not all transitional points that parcels go through are climate-controlled... so if you all think about it, try to keep foliage drier than rootstock, even if you have to wrap foliage with newspaper or something to draw moisture away from the foliage even while roots are wrapped with a damp paper towel and then in foil or a baggie or what have you. I'd never encountered this before - but I also realize that I usually do my trading/swapping/mailing NOT during the high-heat of the year - the same as I also usually avoid shipping during the coldest times of the year or otherwise watch the weather forecasts as they pertain from my area to where I am shipping something - I try to "time" shipping with the weather "just incase"... of course the heat factor also applies to things like chocolate, some types of soap, etc. - things that can MELT... so also note how things are packed incase they melt or leak... this could end up a messy swap too! LOL

o

hermit... glad you mentioned the difficulty in sending plants in the humid heat. This is why I chose mystery plants that are esentially tubers or bulbs. They can be stored in sawdust with little moisture to kill them in transit.

This is also a good reason for all of us to send unique gifts to one another that are not perishable.

o

Very good point on shipping live plants in the heat.I hadn't thought of that.For that reason I have dropped a fewplants from my list and added other bulbs and tubers that will travel well.I am a plantaholic..lol..so my entire box will be plant related so I hope that will be what someone is looking for.I have never had a problem with shipping bulbs and tubers safely in the heat..All of my items will also be dug the day of shipping.

Final Box List:
Fernleaf Peony 1 clump w/3 to 5 eyes
Karl Rosenfield Peony 1clump w/3 to 5 eyes
DinnerPlate Dahlia's 2 clumps different cultivars named TBD
Tall Bearded Iris named 2 different rhizomes TBD
Canna 2 large tubers each different named TBD
1 surprise amaryllis bulb
6 tulip named bulbs TBD
6 daffodil named bulbs TBD

ok so this is my absolute final list for my box Veal.Looking forward to a great swapping game : ))
Nancy/cedarnest

o
hoth's final box contents list (yeah! i got it all together! lol)

HermitOnTheHill's FINAL (hee!) White Elephant Swap Box Intended Contents

1. Seeds - selection of herbs, veggies, melons, & pretties - most of these will be heirloom varieties. If there's anything the 'winner' doesn't want, like say peppers due an allergy or something, just let me know! OR, if there is something specific that the recipient sees on my trade list that they would like just ask, OR, if there is something not seen on my trade list but the recipient has a wish for, also JUST ASK - my trade list is not up to date, some things I am out of, other things aren't even listed at this point in the year. I might just be able to help the 'winner' in meeting something from their wish-list. I will make an effort when the final recipient for my box is discerned, to check their zone/climate or they can just email me or post to the thread to discuss it, so that perhaps the selection of seeds can be finetuned even more, or helpful info can be included that could help to make the most of growing these things in their specific area.
  2. pencil & plant "stakes" for labeling - I want to note that these are "hand-made". That is to say, I am also a recycler and combined with trial and tribulations with commercial plant stakes, I am now one of those people who swears by a #2 pencil and old mini-blind 'slats' being written on and the labeling actually weathering through all sorts of weather/climate conditions and lasting a looooong time. And I'm picky about the pencils too! Not all #2 (or any other #) pencils are made the same. The pencil I am sending is of a "lead" (graphite I'm sure since lead pencils are of a bygone day anymore) that has proven itself for labeling on these and lasting. I was trying to find one of my "cute" hole-punchers to also put holes in these stakes/labels incase the recipient wanted to tie them around plants instead, but I seem to have misplaced all of my hole-punchers (or the kids "borrowed" them - geesh, that's a polite euphemism!)
  3. Stationery - suitable for laser printers, typewriters, pens, pencils, etc. How Does Your Garden Grow theme - very light-weight paper, which is helpful in seed trading to keep weight/postage costs down!
  4. an old print of a Garden Tea Room - kitties, bunny, cockatoo, and a touch of Victorian Era theme OR another (smaller) framed print/photo - which one depends upon which box I actually pack things into. Even though the first one is a weathered print, I don't want to fold/crease it to make it fit, so the final physical box dimensions is what will dictate which print goes in.
  5. Assortment of 26 (probably more) Different Teas. My husband makes every effort to keep me out of "gourmet" tea shoppes where loose leaf tea can be purchased, because me in such a tea shoppe is like an addict cut loose in an unlocked pharmacy! Fortunately for him the nearest tea shoppe is more than a hundred miles away, so I have to shop locally. I am denoting my personal favourites with *s. I personally usually prefer a black tea or a nice 'red' such as a Ceylon type of tea or a provoking "Gunpowder" when I can con my way to a tea shoppe with lots of cash! Flavoured teas and non-tea-containing infusions are a "mood thing" for me, but each of these have found their place even with my tastes. Assortment including at least the following:

• Vanilla Caramel
    • Vanilla Hazelnut
    • Red Raspberry (blend) - a good "female" tea
    • Green Tea - Cranberry Pomegranate - another good "female" tea
    • Thai Coconut (blend) - very good with Thai cuisine or other Asian dishes/foods
    • Tension Tamer Extra (blend - ingredients listed with these with a hand-note)
    • "Calm" (blend - ingredients listed with tea)
    • *Green Tea - Orange-Passionfruit-Jasmine (I have to confess, I do not usually care for jasmine or passionfruit in any infusion, but THIS ONE is an exception to the rule. As picky as I am about my infusions, I really enjoy this one - the blend is VERY WELL DONE!)
    • Black Pearl - despite being marketed/made by Lipton, this tea exceeded my expectations and has become a staple in my tea stash.
    • French Vanilla
    • Cozy Chamomile - chamomile flowers (dried obviously), can be drank, used in the bath, for a refreshing rinse in the hair or on the skin, used dry in sachets or sleep/dream pillows, etc. Multipurpose "tea". :)
    • *Tetley "British Blend" - this one likewise exceeded expectations. These have more tea per "bag" than standard tea bags - either make a larger cup or brew darker. Good flavour and good with either milk or lemon (never mix milk and lemon in your tea though, you'll end up with a curdled cup and that's just nasty!) I would choose this one over Black Pearl.
    • Green Tea - Mixed Berry (good served cooler or outright iced. I'm out of "Tastes of Summer" unfortunately, but this is a nice runner-up)
    • Green Tea - Jasmine (just a hint of Jasmine, a nice after-meal tea at midday or if you have a nervous stomach, etc.)
    • Black Tea flavoured Vanilla (served sweetened with white sugar is a treat, with Demerara is almost like having an after-meal 'sweet' as the Demerara has the flavour remind one of caramel. Also good with milk when sweetened. I drink almost all of my tea with milk though - it neutralizes the tannins and makes tea smoother and also easier on the stomach, which is why the British have less cases of stomach cancer than those in Middle Eastern countries where they do not use milk with their tea as a general rule.)
    • Lemon Lift - blend
    • "Awake" blend of black teas, marketed/intended to be a morning tea, like some folks have "their morning coffee" (bleah! I can't stand coffee!!)
    • I Love Lemon (blend)
    • Orange Spice (blend)
    • Apple Spice (blend)
    • Sweet Dreams (blend)
    • Honey Lotus Oolong (blend)
    • White Tea w/ Island Mango, Peach, Orange Leaves, Lemongrass, Green Tea, Rosehips, Licorice Root, etc. - a blend obviously!
    • ***Prince of Wales - Twinings - this one gets multiple stars :) This is a tea to savour especially during quiet times or relaxing amidst one's plants.
    • ***Irish Breakfast - Twinings - darker than Prince of Wales but a different flavour while still being just as good, but for me, a different time to drink this one...a caffeine 'kick' without stomping the palate or being abrasive to the senses...
    • ***English Breakfast - Twinings - same class as the above two, but unique still in flavour, not just for breakfast that's for sure. A tea that for many years was the standard for the Midnight Tea Parties a close group of us use to have/share together.

A tea-note of note - If you don't like milk in your tea, or choose lemon but want to neutralize the tannins, simply add a pinch of baking soda (just a pinch!) when pouring hot water over/into the tea before steeping, and stir once done brewing your tea. The tannins are what "eat at" our stomach lining just for starters. Also, if making iced tea - the same applies, add a pinch of baking soda. This will remove the unpleasant "bite" in iced tea, which is especially noticable (noticeable?) when tea has 'sat' for awhile in the fridge or otherwise isn't fresh-fresh. It doesn't change the flavour, it improves the brew tremendously.

6. Demerara sugar - "raw" with a caramel colour and larger grains. When it comes to sweetening tea, the choice of sweetener can make the difference in how the brew tastes. Some teas are better with Demerara rather than white sugar, and it's always a good choice for soothing sore throats (and for lots of baked items :)
  7. Organic Pure Cane Sugar - Whether in tea or for baking, organic pure cane sugar is sure to delight. If you've never had it and are accustomed to most commonly available "white sugar", you're in for a sweet surprise! If you like vanilla flavouring, an enjoyable trick - and treat - is to take a whole vanilla bean pod and bury it in a full sugar bowl and put the lid on. Let the vanilla bean pod infuse the sugar for a week or more - the longer you leave it, the better the infusion. Use the sugar as you would normally and enjoy the little bit of heaven with each teaspoon you use. :) (if they get the vanilla beans in stock before time for mailing, I'll hook the recipient up with this!) One of the little somethin'-somethins that we initiated new Midnight Tea Party participants with was a china sugar bowl with pure cane sugar with a vanilla bean pod that had a pink ribbon tied in a bow around it tucked into the sugar and sugar bowl, as a token of love and friendship. You do need a low humidity in-house for this, or the sugar will try to harden, so sometimes it is easier to avoid the humidity issue by simply using an airtight GLASS container to keep your sugar and vanilla bean in. You can just add more sugar as you begin to deplete the supply. The vanilla bean (dang I really hope they get them in before mailing time!) will infuse the sugar indefinitely. - unrelated to the tea and sugar, if you have a vanilla bean, you can make your own vanilla extract by dropping a vanilla bean into a bottle of high proof vodka and letting it infuse over a period of time (out of direct light) until it reaches the vanilla-potency level that you like.
  8. Stevia Plus packets - an all-natural sweetener from the Stevia plant. Some people love Stevia as a sugar alternative. It's a good way to curb calories if you sweeten your drinks, it's safe for diabetics as well if memory serves, and those who have had different types of stomach surgeries.
  9. Mother-of-Thousands seedlings - Kalanchoe sp. - succulent plant(s). I will try to get a photo of the mama plant, though I don't know that there are any guarantees that the seedlings will grow up to look just like "her".
  10. Messenger(R) - if you're not familiar with Messenger, I'll happily include info. I use Messenger on ALL of my plants! Harpin proteins. If you want more info "now", check it out at http://edenbio.com - I LOVE this stuff. Thanks to Messenger, last year I was a winner of Eden BioScience's All-Star Garden competition. *BIG GRIN*
  11. "Velma's Cactus" pups - heirloom cactus of a "barrel type". Pups are small, but the largest specimen I have had of this variety was about a foot and a half tall. It blooms a beautiful (corrected!)gradient pink in colour (I previously cited magenta-fuchsia but I was thinking of the wrong cactus, sorry), isn't terribly "vicious" where its prickles are concerned - a rather mild-mannered cactus compared to others. Unlike prickly-pear cactus, you won't have to worry about "invisible" sticklers in your skin causing pain.

Their bloom colour is more intense in the wee morning hours following the previous day's blooming...

I received my original "Velma's Cactus" from a friend and his elderly mother. His mother was one of identical twins. She received hers from her twin, hence it was dubbed "Velma's Cactus", as they didn't know if it was a named hybrid or what exactly. This cactus has been around for a very long time, or at least its line has been. I'm not sure where it originated, but I believe "Velma" was/is in MS and from there some of the pups traveled to AL and grew and I was blessed to receive some and have them come to TN. Once of some size, this cactus is frost-hardy, but won't bode so well if exposed to ongoing freezing temperatures. Initially I recommend growing the pups in containers (with good drainage, but enough depth for a substantial taproot), and I mist them from the top (very fine mist) usually daily - misting, not outright watering mind you. I use Messenger on these as well, since it is a foliar spray. While pups are growing roots, I keep them in bright to diffused light, but out of direct/full sun IN MY AREA - your area may vary. Once established, they handle full-sun, water thoroughly when completely dry or mist as the whim takes you. Nature does have them designed that they will capture water in the very top (of a specimen that has grown up to be more than just a "button") and direct it down between the spines to the base of the plant. Like with any cacti, don't over-water or allow them to have "wet feet". When they are large enough to bloom, remove developing pups (they usually grow along the spines, sometimes offshoots from the bottom - but don't confuse pups with flower "buds" - they do look similar at first) from the plant as they will not bloom while they have pups attached. I thought that was BS when I was first told, but it turned out to be true. I had deer try tasting the blooms, and after biting them off, decided they didn't like them and left them alone the rest of the year as new blooms proceeded.
  12. Rooting Hormone - to go with the pups and other cuttings :)
  13. Obedient Plant - this one blooms light purple in colour. Very pretty perennial.
  14. Heirloom Irises - These are an anybody's-guess on colours and form. They were grown by the now-deceased elderly couple that used to live on this property. They were what those of us in the south call "good people". Some of these irises might very well date back to their parents' or grandparents' gardening. I didn't have the heart to get rid of them, but they don't get the love here that they should so I'd like to share them with another iris-lover. I will include as many as I can get in the box.
  15. Themed stickers - either for scrapbooking or for fun to include with correspondence/parcels, etc. Garden related on one level or another. :)
  16. Night Blooming Cereus cuttings - I'm still iffy on the exact Latin name for the variety that I have, but here is a slideshow of blooms from last year. A very easy to grow and low-maintenance succulent. I keep mine in diffused light, not so unlike one would have a Ficus benjamina. They will sunburn in my experience in this area. I direct water them myself, but also mist the "blades" and wipe them down (it gets really dusty here since I live off of a gravel road). A larger specimen, IMO, looks best when grown in an elevated container or pedestal pot. I haven't found a hanging pot/suspended planter yet that I feel is really large enough to provide space for a good root system. You can start them out in small containers though and just re-pot as they become rootbound. But even rootbound they do well. I find they do well with a balanced fertilizer like Peter's 20-20-20/the same as I use on my Brugmansia. There's a tradition with Night Blooming Cereus I was told about, and now do myself. Since each bloom only blooms for one night and only at night, when you see that your NBC bloom is readying itself (and it's pretty easy to observe and learn how long it will take as the bud develops and know which night it will bloom on) to burst open in all its magnificence, you invite family, friends, fellow gardeners, whoever you want, to come and celebrate with you in watching it bloom. Maybe it's just a cheap excuse for a party, but it's fun and the blooms really are lovely. I wish my camera had captured the details better. I will forewarn though that ambient artificial light WILL affect the blooming on these. For the longest time I thought that mine weren't opening until it was full-on night, like close to midnight - I didn't realize that a small fluorescent light that I had hanging in the general area and turned on at night was having a direct affect on the blooms. I started leaving the light off unless I really needed it and when I did that, the blooms began opening when the sun began to set. But party on until dawn and enjoy the blooms for as long as they last, because as soon as the sun begins to rise, the bloom will begin to wither and fade.
  17. Wild Virginia Mountain Mint - Many, many years ago when I was walkabout in the mountains of Virginia, I found myself introduced to this wild strain of mint - and I brought some home with me and continued to bring rhizomes with me each time I moved since then because this is an outstanding, non-hybridized variety with a true mint scent and flavour. Very hardy, it will grow in full sun to full shade and everything in between. It can be contained or allowed to run amok. It smells great when allowed to intermingle with a lawn and get cut when the grass is mowed or trimmed. It's great for between stepping stones or along any pathway where it will be brushed against and the scent released. It blooms white to the faintest pink/purple tint and you can collect seed or allow it to self-sow. It propagates best by rhizomes IMO. It is an excellent culinary and/or medicinal variety, dries well, works well in oils, butters or other fats, vinegar, alcohol, etc. depending upon your choice of use. It also is GREAT for mint jelly. It can be allowed to grow "tall" (up to about 2 feet) or readily adapts to being kept trimmed. When used in between stepping stones or right on a path, it adapts to foot traffic with ease. I've also used it to hasten the deterioration of tree stumps by tucking rhizomes into holes in the trunk with just a handful of soil and watering (the roots work their way into the dead/decaying wood and help to break it down faster) until established. Will send with foliage and stems intact, but generally transplants have the foliar and stem growth die back and the plant concentrates on its root system getting settled in and then sends up new shoots. And, as per this strains collection providence, it does seem to do best in dappled shade in a woodland setting. I've also used it for erosion control and in rocky soils that nothing else, not even Datura, would grow in. If you have a spot where icky weeds are a problem, this mint will happily choke them out if given the go-ahead and provide you with a lush and fragrant replacement. Great also for tea - fresh or dried, as a base or just as an accent. Sorbet, poultices, etc. The uses are virtually limitless. Why else would I insist on insuring that this strain travel everywhere I have for the last 15 years?!
  18. Brugmansia cutting(s) - named variety/ies (as feasible to take at this point from my plants)
  19. And anything else I can get in the box - ranging from bath/body items to cuttings of succulents and stuff.

o

What an adventurous palate you have! I tend to drink only Earl Grey, quite strong and unadorned, or when I feel like something "desserty" an orange spice, either plain or with a little honey. You make all of that variety sound very appealing!

o

Hi Vela!,
I sent my address(not through Gardenweb) so if you don't get it let me know!
kalena67

o

Hermit!

Your box is very intriguing! I used to drink all kinds of tea; but since moving to this new property have fallen off the tea wagon as it were. Can't really say why!....

Your box has such a wide range of items .... I'm lovin' it!

Rocky

o

This is awesome, great job everyone.
melanie

o
Here we go!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok everyone, here we go......turn order. Remember, the first round, we do not steal..you must pick a box from the pot listed under the turn order. There will be a new turn order for the second round.

1. Hazelnutbunny
2. Cedarnest
3. Rockyridge
4. firegurl
5. wynative
6. hermitonthehill
7. Debbya
8. Beckilove
9. Poisondartfrog
10. ilovefarac
11. Veeja
12. klickitat
13. takingroot
14. Paya10shn
15. Kalena67

Boxes

Box 1 - Debbya's
Iceplant "Starburst"
Hosta (Lime green) "Little Aurora"
Hosta "Night Before Christmas"
Hosta "Golden Tiara"
Book- 387 pages/ "1,001 Gardening Secrets The Experts will Never Tell You"
Asiatic Lily- bright orange
A couple of Lily of the Valley plants/white
A couple of fans of a "Mystery Iris"
And for the "Houseplant person"
6-Russian Violet hybrid leaves!
Koffiniy Aromat
Rozoviy Zhemchug
Titanin Den
Lubimaya Dochka
Ek Snezlaya Bars
Ian Selena
African violets are so easy to propagate. Place the leaf in a solo cup half filled with violet soil, and with in weeks, babies appear, seperate the babies when you feel comfortable handling them. Russian violets are 'rare' and come directly from Russia.
Also included is a "Alsobia Cygnet" baby stolen.
Chirta "Stardust" leaf
Chirta "Kazu" leaf
Episcia baby stolen "Pink Panther"
Episcia baby stolen "Aloha Mauna Loa"
And finally a scented streptocarpus/ leaf segment- "King of Kings" again, very easy to propagate, just place the segment in a McDonalds, Wendy's salad container filled with violet soil, holes poked in the bottom, and with in weeks, babies will appear at the base of the strep leaf, seperate the babies when large enough to handle.
One more item... Another scented strep leaf segment- "Heaven Scent"

Box 2 - wynative's

Reader's Digest Gardening Secrets ~ Expert tips for gardens & yard of all sizes - Hard bound & New (Great book, I use mine all the time!)
Garden Sign
Waterstone Coasters - garden picture
Garden Utility Knife
Feng Shui votive candles - 5
Green tea bags in pretty tin
Gift Caddie w/surprises - you have to wait for this box to see them LOL
Travel sewing kit - Hand stitched in RED black stitch and made by me
Pink Rose pot holder & matching towel - Hand stitched by me
Hand Painted bird house - made by my daughter
3 baby Amarylis - Unknown Red, Peppermint (red & white stripes) & Apple Blossom (BEAUTIFUL Pink and white) - grown & bred by me this year.
2 named Iris - Sugar Snaps ~ white, & Delirium ~ Fragrant! purple & yellow
2 named Daylily's - Disneyland ~ white & Sleigh Ride Strawberry Red and Reblooming

Box 3 - cedarnest
Fernleaf Peony 1 clump w/3 to 5 eyes
Karl Rosenfield Peony 1clump w/3 to 5 eyes
DinnerPlate Dahlia's 2 clumps different cultivars named TBD
Tall Bearded Iris named 2 different rhizomes TBD
Canna 2 large tubers each different named TBD
1 surprise amaryllis bulb
6 tulip named bulbs TBD
6 daffodil named bulbs TBD

Box 4 - firegurl's
A large rooted cane/runner- Cup of Gold Vine- Solandra Maxima
(has huge yellow bell flowers with purplish centers- has a super strong but beautiful fragrance- grows well in sun/pt shade-tropical)
Canna Lily- "Florence Vaugh" tubers/plants
(yellow lilies with spotted orange splash)
Echinaceae "Doubledecker" 1 yr old perennial seedling
Ginkgo biloba- tree seedling with growing instructions
Patchouli-Pogostemon Cablin- cutting with a small pack of rooting hormone, this smells great too, I'll ship it in a little water plastic thingy, you know the ones that go on the end of cut roses...what are those called anyway??
An herb jar of freshly dried greek oregano from my garden
A homemade herbal dream pillow with-rose petals, lavender, lemon balm, and sweet marjoram--this is my sleepy mix....zzzz...
A pack of glassine envies, a black china marker- writes on everything, and some surprise seeds

Box 5 - Kalena's
1 Lily 'Tinos'
3 Lilies unknown
1 Iris unknown
1 Iris 'From A Distance' (no pic)
1 Phlox 'David'
1 Sedum spurium Tricolor
2 Sedum Dragons Blood
1 Sedum unknown
1 Sedum Brilliant Neon (no pic)
2 Liatris purple
2 Veronica 'Sunny Border Blue'
2 new soft cover books:
Roses
Landscaping with Ornamental Grasses
Fresh seeds collected from my flowers
2 packages (100 ea.) 2"x3" reclosable bags
Body pampering assortment

Box 6 - hazelnutbunny's
4 unknown purple iris
2 "honorable" iris
2 unknown red daylilies
2 mock orange cuttings
1 "Blaze" climbing rose cutting
1 new hardcover book "101 crafts under $10" (great book!)
Gardenia body & hand lotion
New birdfeeder
Small handmade throw quilt (made by me!)
Jar of homemade apple jelly
Handmade fabric goodie basket - with goodies :O)

Box 7 - klickitat's
2 named irises
- 2 named daylillies
- 2 named hostas
- 2 named dahlias
- 2 surprise named plants
- a cookbook
- jar of local honey
- gardening accessory
- candle

Box 8 - Beckilove's
Hand knitted yellow and orange scarf
One packet of Pearberry bath crystals
5 hand beaded bracelets in different colors
One mystery Lilac seedling (mystery as there was no name but "Lilac" on the seed packet)
Bachelor Buttons Cyanus Double Mixed Colors seeds (commercial)
Crego Mix Aster seeds (commercial)
Sensation Mixed Cosmos seeds (commercial)
10 Luffa gourd seeds (from a trade)
50 1" x 1 " seed packets made from scrapbook paper (like these)
A pretty garden tote (or could be used other things)
These are from Walmart I am hoping the will grow:
2 mixed Canna rhizomes
1 Mother Earth bearded iris rhizome
And if you happen to be a sticker lover like I am, you might like these! All are scrapbooking type.
A cutting from this rose bush that blooms over and over in my garden
And some coral nymph salvia seeds, harvested this year

Box 9 - veeja's
1 small adenium obesum plant
2 named daylilies
4 small orange asiatic lily bulbs
1 red asiatic
6 red glad corms
braided dog toy
foot care kit
seeds
snapdragon
cosmos
cockscomb
zinnia
impatiens
shasta daisy
calendula
previous are 5 for 1.00 seeds
unknown lillum
dianthus nevark
sweet pea supreme
opal basil
snow queen iris
unknown daylily
purple hyacinth bean vine
datura tatula
candy lily
sweet autum clematis
candle
japanese iris bulbs
3 tulip bulbs
1 suprise

Box 10 - poisondartfrog's
3 Daylilies
Beloved Ballerina
Awesome Blossom
Wisest of Wizards
2 Hostas
Patriot
Allan P McConnell
2 Tall Bearded Iris
Spiced Tiger
Heavenly Halo
1 Shasta Daisy
Becky
1 Japanese Painted Fern
Athyrium niponicum, Pictum
1 Hardy Geranium, Johnson's Blue
Any 5 packs of seeds from my exchange list, winner's choice.
1 new book, "Flower Gardening" by Julie Bawden-Davis.
This is a beautiful book, very colorful and a good comprehensive guide. 288 pages

Box 11 - ilovefarac's
DAYLILIES- ONE fAN OF THESE
Two part Harmony
Darius
Maybe So
Eastern Gate
Gordon Biggs
IRIS- ONE RHIZOME OF THESE
Divine
Silverado
Helleborus orientalis-2 plants
Geranium- Karmina
Lamium-Miss Nancy Pink- variegated leaves and pink flowers
Bath set of Tuscan Gardens-sage and lavender- lotion, soap, bath gel, etc. in basket
Perennial book from Sunset. 128 pages nice pics and ideas

Box 12 - paya10shn's
*Stella D'ora Daylilly
*Spider Wort
*Russian Sage
*Potentilla (melton fire)
*Veronica (spike speedwell)
*Irish Moss
*Lewisia (sunset group)
*Sedum (rupestre variegated)
*Sedum (old man bones)
*Poppy red
*Scabiosa, Butterfly Blue
*Walking Onion (winter onion)
*Pink Plumeria (My Zone this is a house plant, very fragrant. The smell of Hawaii inside.
*********SEEDS
Grandpa Ott morning glory
4-Oclocks-- yellow and purple
Purple Majesty Millet
Zinna's
Cosmos
Purple Sunfowers
***Surprise Seeds*** I have so many, I will send ID with package.
*******MISC Fun Stuff
Daisy Trivit with Yellow Hand Towel
New Garden Trowel
Candle
Suet cake Berry
Suet Feeder

Box 13 - rockyridge's
Affluence
Supreme Sultan
Add those to the original list:
2 - Weigela florida Minuet --each in a 6 inch pot and at least 12 inches tall. NOT a cutting.
Shasta Daisy Becky
Tropicanna Gold Canna Mactro
I R I S:
Beautiful No-Name Iris
Batik
Immortality
'Affluence'
'Supreme Sultan'
D A Y L I L I E S:
'Barbara Mitchell'
'Siloam Royalty'
'Tears of Love'
'Destined to See'
91G - Un-named daylily seedling you can name yourself!!! You will receive all there is of this seedling.
I always send good sized clumps.

Box 14 - takingroot's
1 Banana Pup (Northern zones may want to take it in for the winter)
1 Crinium
Mirabilis Seeds
2 Named Canna's
2 Named Brug Cuttings
Unknown but pretty Iris (4-5)
2 Named Daylily's
2 Named Sedums
2 Named Hosta's
1 Green EE/ small tuber(which grows very large)
Scented Candles
And a few sur-PRIZES! (always fun to add these)

Box 15 - hermitonthehill
Seeds - selection of herbs, veggies, melons, & pretties - most of these will be heirloom varieties. If there's anything the 'winner' doesn't want, like say peppers due an allergy or something, just let me know! OR, if there is something specific that the recipient sees on my trade list that they would like just ask, OR, if there is something not seen on my trade list but the recipient has a wish for, also JUST ASK - my trade list is not up to date, some things I am out of, other things aren't even listed at this point in the year. I might just be able to help the 'winner' in meeting something from their wish-list. I will make an effort when the final recipient for my box is discerned, to check their zone/climate or they can just email me or post to the thread to discuss it, so that perhaps the selection of seeds can be finetuned even more, or helpful info can be included that could help to make the most of growing these things in their specific area.
pencil & plant "stakes" for labeling - I want to note that these are "hand-made". That is to say, I am also a recycler and combined with trial and tribulations with commercial plant stakes, I am now one of those people who swears by a #2 pencil and old mini-blind 'slats' being written on and the labeling actually weathering through all sorts of weather/climate conditions and lasting a looooong time. And I'm picky about the pencils too! Not all #2 (or any other #) pencils are made the same. The pencil I am sending is of a "lead" (graphite I'm sure since lead pencils are of a bygone day anymore) that has proven itself for labeling on these and lasting. I was trying to find one of my "cute" hole-punchers to also put holes in these stakes/labels incase the recipient wanted to tie them around plants instead, but I seem to have misplaced all of my hole-punchers (or the kids "borrowed" them - geesh, that's a polite euphemism!)
Stationery - suitable for laser printers, typewriters, pens, pencils, etc. How Does Your Garden Grow theme - very light-weight paper, which is helpful in seed trading to keep weight/postage costs down!
an old print of a Garden Tea Room - kitties, bunny, cockatoo, and a touch of Victorian Era theme OR another (smaller) framed print/photo - which one depends upon which box I actually pack things into. Even though the first one is a weathered print, I don't want to fold/crease it to make it fit, so the final physical box dimensions is what will dictate which print goes in.
Assortment of 26 (probably more) Different Teas. My husband makes every effort to keep me out of "gourmet" tea shoppes where loose leaf tea can be purchased, because me in such a tea shoppe is like an addict cut loose in an unlocked pharmacy! Fortunately for him the nearest tea shoppe is more than a hundred miles away, so I have to shop locally. I am denoting my personal favourites with *s. I personally usually prefer a black tea or a nice 'red' such as a Ceylon type of tea or a provoking "Gunpowder" when I can con my way to a tea shoppe with lots of cash! Flavoured teas and non-tea-containing infusions are a "mood thing" for me, but each of these have found their place even with my tastes. Assortment including at least the following:
Vanilla Caramel
Vanilla Hazelnut
Red Raspberry (blend) - a good "female" tea
Green Tea - Cranberry Pomegranate - another good "female" tea
Thai Coconut (blend) - very good with Thai cuisine or other Asian dishes/foods
Tension Tamer Extra (blend - ingredients listed with these with a hand-note)
"Calm" (blend - ingredients listed with tea)
*Green Tea - Orange-Passionfruit-Jasmine (I have to confess, I do not usually care for jasmine or passionfruit in any infusion, but THIS ONE is an exception to the rule. As picky as I am about my infusions, I really enjoy this one - the blend is VERY WELL DONE!)
Black Pearl - despite being marketed/made by Lipton, this tea exceeded my expectations and has become a staple in my tea stash.
French Vanilla
Cozy Chamomile - chamomile flowers (dried obviously), can be drank, used in the bath, for a refreshing rinse in the hair or on the skin, used dry in sachets or sleep/dream pillows, etc. Multipurpose "tea". :)
*Tetley "British Blend" - this one likewise exceeded expectations. These have more tea per "bag" than standard tea bags - either make a larger cup or brew darker. Good flavour and good with either milk or lemon (never mix milk and lemon in your tea though, you'll end up with a curdled cup and that's just nasty!) I would choose this one over Black Pearl.
Green Tea - Mixed Berry (good served cooler or outright iced. I'm out of "Tastes of Summer" unfortunately, but this is a nice runner-up)
Green Tea - Jasmine (just a hint of Jasmine, a nice after-meal tea at midday or if you have a nervous stomach, etc.)
Black Tea flavoured Vanilla (served sweetened with white sugar is a treat, with Demerara is almost like having an after-meal 'sweet' as the Demerara has the flavour remind one of caramel. Also good with milk when sweetened. I drink almost all of my tea with milk though - it neutralizes the tannins and makes tea smoother and also easier on the stomach, which is why the British have less cases of stomach cancer than those in Middle Eastern countries where they do not use milk with their tea as a general rule.)
Lemon Lift - blend
"Awake" blend of black teas, marketed/intended to be a morning tea, like some folks have "their morning coffee" (bleah! I can't stand coffee!!)
I Love Lemon (blend)
Orange Spice (blend)
Apple Spice (blend)
Sweet Dreams (blend)
Honey Lotus Oolong (blend)
White Tea w/ Island Mango, Peach, Orange Leaves, Lemongrass, Green Tea, Rosehips, Licorice Root, etc. - a blend obviously!
***Prince of Wales - Twinings - this one gets multiple stars :) This is a tea to savour especially during quiet times or relaxing amidst one's plants.
***Irish Breakfast - Twinings - darker than Prince of Wales but a different flavour while still being just as good, but for me, a different time to drink this one...a caffeine 'kick' without stomping the palate or being abrasive to the senses...
***English Breakfast - Twinings - same class as the above two, but unique still in flavour, not just for breakfast that's for sure. A tea that for many years was the standard for the Midnight Tea Parties a close group of us use to have/share together.

A tea-note of note - If you don't like milk in your tea, or choose lemon but want to neutralize the tannins, simply add a pinch of baking soda (just a pinch!) when pouring hot water over/into the tea before steeping, and stir once done brewing your tea. The tannins are what "eat at" our stomach lining just for starters. Also, if making iced tea - the same applies, add a pinch of baking soda. This will remove the unpleasant "bite" in iced tea, which is especially noticable (noticeable?) when tea has 'sat' for awhile in the fridge or otherwise isn't fresh-fresh. It doesn't change the flavour, it improves the brew tremendously.

Demerara sugar - "raw" with a caramel colour and larger grains. When it comes to sweetening tea, the choice of sweetener can make the difference in how the brew tastes. Some teas are better with Demerara rather than white sugar, and it's always a good choice for soothing sore throats (and for lots of baked items :)

Organic Pure Cane Sugar - Whether in tea or for baking, organic pure cane sugar is sure to delight. If you've never had it and are accustomed to most commonly available "white sugar", you're in for a sweet surprise! If you like vanilla flavouring, an enjoyable trick - and treat - is to take a whole vanilla bean pod and bury it in a full sugar bowl and put the lid on. Let the vanilla bean pod infuse the sugar for a week or more - the longer you leave it, the better the infusion. Use the sugar as you would normally and enjoy the little bit of heaven with each teaspoon you use. :) (if they get the vanilla beans in stock before time for mailing, I'll hook the recipient up with this!) One of the little somethin'-somethins that we initiated new Midnight Tea Party participants with was a china sugar bowl with pure cane sugar with a vanilla bean pod that had a pink ribbon tied in a bow around it tucked into the sugar and sugar bowl, as a token of love and friendship. You do need a low humidity in-house for this, or the sugar will try to harden, so sometimes it is easier to avoid the humidity issue by simply using an airtight GLASS container to keep your sugar and vanilla bean in. You can just add more sugar as you begin to deplete the supply. The vanilla bean (dang I really hope they get them in before mailing time!) will infuse the sugar indefinitely. - unrelated to the tea and sugar, if you have a vanilla bean, you can make your own vanilla extract by dropping a vanilla bean into a bottle of high proof vodka and letting it infuse over a period of time (out of direct light) until it reaches the vanilla-potency level that you like.

Stevia Plus packets - an all-natural sweetener from the Stevia plant. Some people love Stevia as a sugar alternative. It's a good way to curb calories if you sweeten your drinks, it's safe for diabetics as well if memory serves, and those who have had different types of stomach surgeries.

Mother-of-Thousands seedlings - Kalanchoe sp. - succulent plant(s). I will try to get a photo of the mama plant, though I don't know that there are any guarantees that the seedlings will grow up to look just like "her".

Messenger(R) - if you're not familiar with Messenger, I'll happily include info. I use Messenger on ALL of my plants! Harpin proteins. If you want more info "now", check it out at http://edenbio.com - I LOVE this stuff. Thanks to Messenger, last year I was a winner of Eden BioScience's All-Star Garden competition. *BIG GRIN*

"Velma's Cactus" pups - heirloom cactus of a "barrel type". Pups are small, but the largest specimen I have had of this variety was about a foot and a half tall. It blooms a beautiful (corrected!)gradient pink in colour (I previously cited magenta-fuchsia but I was thinking of the wrong cactus, sorry), isn't terribly "vicious" where its prickles are concerned - a rather mild-mannered cactus compared to others. Unlike prickly-pear cactus, you won't have to worry about "invisible" sticklers in your skin causing pain.

Their bloom colour is more intense in the wee morning hours following the previous day's blooming...

I received my original "Velma's Cactus" from a friend and his elderly mother. His mother was one of identical twins. She received hers from her twin, hence it was dubbed "Velma's Cactus", as they didn't know if it was a named hybrid or what exactly. This cactus has been around for a very long time, or at least its line has been. I'm not sure where it originated, but I believe "Velma" was/is in MS and from there some of the pups traveled to AL and grew and I was blessed to receive some and have them come to TN. Once of some size, this cactus is frost-hardy, but won't bode so well if exposed to ongoing freezing temperatures. Initially I recommend growing the pups in containers (with good drainage, but enough depth for a substantial taproot), and I mist them from the top (very fine mist) usually daily - misting, not outright watering mind you. I use Messenger on these as well, since it is a foliar spray. While pups are growing roots, I keep them in bright to diffused light, but out of direct/full sun IN MY AREA - your area may vary. Once established, they handle full-sun, water thoroughly when completely dry or mist as the whim takes you. Nature does have them designed that they will capture water in the very top (of a specimen that has grown up to be more than just a "button") and direct it down between the spines to the base of the plant. Like with any cacti, don't over-water or allow them to have "wet feet". When they are large enough to bloom, remove developing pups (they usually grow along the spines, sometimes offshoots from the bottom - but don't confuse pups with flower "buds" - they do look similar at first) from the plant as they will not bloom while they have pups attached. I thought that was BS when I was first told, but it turned out to be true. I had deer try tasting the blooms, and after biting them off, decided they didn't like them and left them alone the rest of the year as new blooms proceeded.

Rooting Hormone - to go with the pups and other cuttings :)

Obedient Plant - this one blooms light purple in colour. Very pretty perennial.

Heirloom Irises - These are an anybody's-guess on colours and form. They were grown by the now-deceased elderly couple that used to live on this property. They were what those of us in the south call "good people". Some of these irises might very well date back to their parents' or grandparents' gardening. I didn't have the heart to get rid of them, but they don't get the love here that they should so I'd like to share them with another iris-lover. I will include as many as I can get in the box.

Themed stickers - either for scrapbooking or for fun to include with correspondence/parcels, etc. Garden related on one level or another. :)

Night Blooming Cereus cuttings - I'm still iffy on the exact Latin name for the variety that I have, but here is a slideshow of blooms from last year. A very easy to grow and low-maintenance succulent. I keep mine in diffused light, not so unlike one would have a Ficus benjamina. They will sunburn in my experience in this area. I direct water them myself, but also mist the "blades" and wipe them down (it gets really dusty here since I live off of a gravel road). A larger specimen, IMO, looks best when grown in an elevated container or pedestal pot. I haven't found a hanging pot/suspended planter yet that I feel is really large enough to provide space for a good root system. You can start them out in small containers though and just re-pot as they become rootbound. But even rootbound they do well. I find they do well with a balanced fertilizer like Peter's 20-20-20/the same as I use on my Brugmansia. There's a tradition with Night Blooming Cereus I was told about, and now do myself. Since each bloom only blooms for one night and only at night, when you see that your NBC bloom is readying itself (and it's pretty easy to observe and learn how long it will take as the bud develops and know which night it will bloom on) to burst open in all its magnificence, you invite family, friends, fellow gardeners, whoever you want, to come and celebrate with you in watching it bloom. Maybe it's just a cheap excuse for a party, but it's fun and the blooms really are lovely. I wish my camera had captured the details better. I will forewarn though that ambient artificial light WILL affect the blooming on these. For the longest time I thought that mine weren't opening until it was full-on night, like close to midnight - I didn't realize that a small fluorescent light that I had hanging in the general area and turned on at night was having a direct affect on the blooms. I started leaving the light off unless I really needed it and when I did that, the blooms began opening when the sun began to set. But party on until dawn and enjoy the blooms for as long as they last, because as soon as the sun begins to rise, the bloom will begin to wither and fade.

Wild Virginia Mountain Mint - Many, many years ago when I was walkabout in the mountains of Virginia, I found myself introduced to this wild strain of mint - and I brought some home with me and continued to bring rhizomes with me each time I moved since then because this is an outstanding, non-hybridized variety with a true mint scent and flavour. Very hardy, it will grow in full sun to full shade and everything in between. It can be contained or allowed to run amok. It smells great when allowed to intermingle with a lawn and get cut when the grass is mowed or trimmed. It's great for between stepping stones or along any pathway where it will be brushed against and the scent released. It blooms white to the faintest pink/purple tint and you can collect seed or allow it to self-sow. It propagates best by rhizomes IMO. It is an excellent culinary and/or medicinal variety, dries well, works well in oils, butters or other fats, vinegar, alcohol, etc. depending upon your choice of use. It also is GREAT for mint jelly. It can be allowed to grow "tall" (up to about 2 feet) or readily adapts to being kept trimmed. When used in between stepping stones or right on a path, it adapts to foot traffic with ease. I've also used it to hasten the deterioration of tree stumps by tucking rhizomes into holes in the trunk with just a handful of soil and watering (the roots work their way into the dead/decaying wood and help to break it down faster) until established. Will send with foliage and stems intact, but generally transplants have the foliar and stem growth die back and the plant concentrates on its root system getting settled in and then sends up new shoots. And, as per this strains collection providence, it does seem to do best in dappled shade in a woodland setting. I've also used it for erosion control and in rocky soils that nothing else, not even Datura, would grow in. If you have a spot where icky weeds are a problem, this mint will happily choke them out if given the go-ahead and provide you with a lush and fragrant replacement. Great also for tea - fresh or dried, as a base or just as an accent. Sorbet, poultices, etc. The uses are virtually limitless. Why else would I insist on insuring that this strain travel everywhere I have for the last 15 years?!

Brugmansia cutting(s) - named variety/ies (as feasible to take at this point from my plants)

And anything else I can get in the box - ranging from bath/body items to cuttings of succulents and stuff.

o

All you have to do is, when it is your turn, say "I wll take box #___"

Ready, set goooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

o

Whew! I can't wait until the swapping begins! :O)

o

Well...you're first...goooo!!!! LOL!!!

o
Who...me??!!

Oh, Golly goodness!!! Has everyone posted the contents of their boxes? Not that I need any more to look at...this is hard enough as it is!!!! lol :O)
Okay...lemme look at the boxes again....be back in a few minutes with my decision!!! (I hope.) :O)

o
Okay.....I think....

Well, I very literally had to put names in a box and draw one out. Even then, I was tempted to cheat, and try again....
The decision is JUST TOO HARD!!!! No fair, Vela.....you're gonna give us all ulcers just trying to decide!! lol :O)

Okay...My FINAL decision is......I would like.....I think....

Rockyridge/Roxanne 's box.

OhMyGosh...THAT was difficult. :O) But SOOOOOO much fun!!!

Now, I've gotta hurry and hit "submit" before I change my mind again. lol

o

YAY!!! Ok, Hbunny chose box #13, so cedarnest, it is your turn and you may choose any of the boxes except #13. This is going to be so much fun!

I would have had to do the same thing Bunny (put names in a hat) LOL! I don't know how you all are going to choose!

o

ok here goes..."I wll take box #9" : ))

o

Ok Rockyridge...you're up. You may choose anything but 13 or 9.

(Oh, and you don't have to misspell "will" like I did...LOL!!!!)

Everyone seeing how round one will go?

o
lol : ))

LOL I never noticed the spelling til now..hee hee..I just copied and pasted.Thats funny Vela : ))

o

someone chose the box I want can't wait till steal round. I need that destined to see daylily. bought it last year but it bloomed red this year, I'm after you bunny. hugs carol

o

LOL! We're not even to the steal round yet and the threats are already starting LOL!!! Let the evil begin!!!

o
Bunny hopping....

Eeeekkkkk!!!! Get Back, Veeja...BACK BACK BACK!!!! LOL

It's already getting fun!! Weeeelllll....no matter WHICH box I end up with, I'm gonna be a happy bunny, that's for certain. :O) I guess the second round will be even more fun, cuz then I have someone make my mind up FOR me....!!! lol

o

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Deb

o

o

Ironically, I can't stand Earl Grey tea. I never could stand it - bergamot just doesn't "work" for me in that blend, even though I think most tea-drinkers would rank it #1. I used to drink an embarrassing amount of hot tea daily, regardless of the season/weather, always with milk and sugar. I drank tea like many people drink coffee (which I personally find godawful). It was too much though. I had to wean myself off of it and have since gotten more into a seasonal swing with hot tea, i.e. hot tea when it is cooler or cold, other chilled liquids when it is warm or hot with somewhat regular "enjoyments" of hot tea dotting the warmer months for pure enjoyment, medicinal, or culinary. I did have to transition with a year or two of drinking iced tea during the warm and hot months though. :) (by the gallons LOL)

I just got caught up with the thread tonight... Monday morning was met with the passing of our oldest canine and so the rest of the day was/has been (after midnight but haven't gotten to bed/sleep yet) rather downhill from there. Thankfully he passed peacefully in the dreaming of a deep sleep - that was all I wished for as we began anticipating his journey. We're all just wiped out tonight... emotionally I mean, well, and digging a grave in very hard, dry, compact and rocky soil in the heat. He's been laid to rest beside his "mate" though and now the mourning begins to manifest. Glad there's this swap to have as a diversion from the less pleasant grieving.

Kernunnos Herne Hun-Tyr
April 5, 1997 - August 6, 2007
Until we meet again, Our Loyal Lifelong Friend

o

OK . . . . . OK . . I've been sitting here for the last half hour trying to decide. What a dilema!

Since I can't make up my mind I'm going to go with the 'surprise' box.

I love a surprise!!!

I pick box #7 Klickitat's box

Rox

o

Hermit, I'm so sorry for your loss, I know how much pets become part of the family.

o

It's firegurl's turn! All boxes available except 7, 9 and 13.

o

Oh Hermit! I'm so sorry! Losing a pet can be so hard! At least you know he had a good life. A long life. and he'll be waiting at the Rainbow Bridge for you I'm sure.

Roxanne

Here is a link that might be useful: Rainbow Bridge

o

So sorry Hermit! The loss of a much loved pet is a stunning blow, even when you have time to prepare for it.

o

I'm so sorry, hermit, for the loss of your pet. :(

rockyridge... thanks for picking my box. The actual contents will be more than what's listed. I just wanted to put together a mystery that will very much be a surprise when opened. It'll be worth it!

Who's next to pick?

o
Vela's Post

I am going to title all of my posts from here on "Vela's Post" so you can scroll up and easily find my instructions.

Firegurl is next. There is a master list of the turn order and all of the boxes in a post above. :-)

o

I'm gonna get that bunny hugs carol

o

What did I miss? I don't see distantkin's box posted. Did she drop out?

o

Yes, she did. She said she had a family emergency and needed to drop out.

o

Oh, meant to add that she e-mailed that to me, it was not posted, so you didn't miss the post.

o

wynative, I know this is off topic and not the appropriate place, but I expect you will see it here. My reply to your email of today was rejected. The answer was yes indeed, as soon as they are ready. I'll try to keep you posted.

o

Eeeekkkk!!! The fur's gonna start flying in the next round....! :O)

o

PoisonFrog - thanks for letting me know, awsome color!

Firegurl ~ please pick your box..... I am ready to pick mine LOL :)

o

Thanks Vela. I missed that box because I have been thinking (okay dreaming) about rhubarb pie like my Granny made. That's okay-still lot's of great boxes to choose from!

o

I'm so antsy! Where's firegurl??? HURRY!!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Shot at 2007-08-07

o
additions to box #15 RE: update: white elephant swap continued

I'm adding some more "stuff" to box #15.... "comfort food" type stuff... cocoas (like hot cocoas/chocolates, different flavours), Nutella, you know... fend off the blues type stuff.... and I will be including a bit of vanilla bean (real vanilla bean, not fake!), two or three more teas (two of them were ones I was out of stock of before, but got more of today anyway), and if they will fit, a jar of my favourite garlic-stuffed (green) olives and a can of cream soda (I like cream soda, always have, but this brand is new to being available here and it absolutely rocks!) - I hope they fit... they better fit!

Thanks to all on condolences and sympathies for Kernunnos. He was a GOOD dog, loyal as they day is long... though never the sharpest tool in the shed. :) But he was a good sire, a good herder, and a heck of a puller! (dead-weight pulling - not sure if any of you are familiar with it) and with carting in his younger years. The only thing that makes it "easy" that he fortunately didn't suffer or otherwise have a prolonged demise. All evidence indicates that his heart simply stopped in his sleep... I wish it were that easy for all of us when the time comes! He sure was a great draft-blocker at doors in the winter... going to miss his big, soft fur-covered "heating element" self when things get real cold in the winter...

On a positive note though, his passing has had more added to the box with some truly self-indulgent goodies... did I mention the WHITE chocolate hot cocoa mix? Yum....

Hermit

o

Well, Firegurl did say she would be on vacation from the 6th to the 15th, but said she would still be able to check her e-mail. Maybe that changed and she can't access e-mail, or she may be having so much fun she just forgot. If she doesn't post by tomorrow evening, I will choose on her behalf.

o
related to the different boxes n stuff chatter RE: update: white

Solandra Maxima ... I saw that on firegurl's list/box and looked it up.... it is so incredibly tempting, but from what I'm finding on the web, it's a tender perennial and I'm afraid that it wouldn't weather through the winters here as they have become more severe for longer periods (that is to say, while we rarely get real snow and not for any length of time, we do have cold spells that have lasted for more than two weeks and it's not uncommon for us to have at least a week of temps in the teens and even a night or three where we dip into single digits)... does anyone here have any experience with this plant in a colder-winter climate than usda zone 7? For winter hardiness of this plant, I could probably safely and best relate to 6 or even 5 on zones (even though our winters aren't as "lasting" as when I lived way up north, the spans of time in our winters that are like northern winters is usually enough to effect plants the same way a whole northerly winter would - sometimes worse if we get a lot of rain and rootstock is prone to rot with wet-feet and up-down cold-freeze-thaw-refreeze scenarios).

I also noticed firegurl's listing of "glassine envies" and my first thought was, "Ahhh... is she a scrapbooker, into decoupage, or another craft? Or does she have those for seeds?"

It's just been tonight that I've begun really looking at the lists/boxes, and looking up things I wasn't familiar with. I'm a third of the way through as I write this snippet... and I think I've fallen in love with one box over others out of the first 2/3rds of those listed. I'm too nervous to say which one though... still having to do the first "real go-through" of the final third of the boxes and look things up, and a wee bit afraid that if I comment specifically and out of turn, I'll jinx myself!
What I will say though that is after getting through those that I have so far, no matter which box I end up with, I suspect I will be making some private contacts to inquire about some trades - such diversity with the compilation of the boxes - very cool!

o

I know of at least 5 boxes that I won't mind having!! :O) I am gonna be a happy bunny either way.......But I'm STILL watching my back, Veeja!!!! lol Can't get this bunny!! :O)

o

Vela, if she was to be on vacation the 6th through the 15th, there's a strong possibility that she is currently still traveling to her vacation destination - this is just the 7th. I'm sure if it's a matter of her not being able to access email, that she would find another means to at least make contact with someone here - even if calling a GW friend or a family member or such to ask them to send word and let us know. If it were me, I'd want to be given just a bit more time to get to checking the forum -- in looking back, this continuation thread began on the 5th - when she was probably readying for her vacation - and she might also not be noticing it - she hasn't posted on it that I'm seeing. Maybe drop her a private/personal email to notify her that it is her turn in the first round to choose, and that there's an update/continuation thread to go to versus the original thread?

I've "formally" compiled my wish-list-order for the numbered boxes.... really tough!!!

o

anyone wanna trade me a destined to see daylily, so I can leave poor bunny alone. hugs carol

o

Yes, I sent her a personal e-mail when it became her turn. I'll give her a little more time if you all want me to.

o

I think 2 days should be the limit for anyone to respond, resonably. Since there are so many players, even allowing 2 days, it will take over a month to complete the first round. Maybe consider giving an extra day on round 2, since that is the final round. I'm not meaning to step on anyone's toes or sound mean...but I just don't think it'd be fair to the other players to wait a week for someone. And I'm sure that no one wants this swap to extend into the October, either!! :O)

If someone KNOWS that they will be out of town, or unable to get to the computer at around the time it will be their turn, they should email Vela with their choices for a box. That way, she can post their choice, and it won't hold everyone else up. I know I don't have access to a computer on the weekends, so I am going to email Vela when the next round starts, and give her my choice for a box. That way, if my turn comes up on Saturday, for instance, she can post my choice, and the next in line can claim theirs as well. :O)

o

GREAT idea Bunny!!

Vela,

I emailed you. I will be out of my office today and if Firegurl makes her pick, I don't want anyone to have to wait one me:) I have made my choice atleast 5/6 times and keep changing it! LOL I sent you my 1st & 2nd choices, if you would be so kind as to post for me?

Thanks,
Marie

o

My scientific method for picking my box on my turn consisted of putting all available box numbers into a hat and picking one.It would have taken me weeks to choose one on my own.: ))

o

Have to appreciate the scientific method LOL I was compelled to look up plants I didn't "know" off the top of my head, and double-check on hardiness when applicable, take into consideration things I suspect I or my climate might kill or if something would thrive here, etc. Still didn't make it easy... Of course the heat didn't make thinking any easier either!

o

veeja11,

You better watch that bunny......you don't wanna make bunny M A D !!!!

Unfortunately all of my 'Destined to See' is spoken for. I can put your name on it for next year if you like. It is a good multiplier and I should have plenty next year. I know.......NEXT YEAR.....seems like forever. Sorry!

Roxanne

o
Vela's Post

Sounds good to me! Please remember if you choose to e-mail your choices to me, e-mail me directly at vkupfner@yahoo.com, and do not use the gardenweb link...those go to my bulk mail and take forever for me to find them (I had 113 bulk e-mail messages in 12 hours). Thanks!

o

Roxanne- I emailed you a week or so ago...did you get it? :O) Can't trust this dang GW email service. LOL
If you would email me directly, I'd appreciate it ever so much!! :O)

Melissa
(V)
( ..)
c( ")(")

o

Hermit,I am doing alot of investigating on the plants in all the boxes now that my preliminary pick has been made.That way when the actually swapping(stealing) lol begins I will hopefully know which box..if its one with plants anyway.. will suit my zone the best.Or...maybe I will win a box without plants.hee hee Honestly...I haven't seen a single box I wouldn't be tickled pink to end up with : )

o
RE: Bunny

Melissa

Never got your e-mail. I'll e-mail you directly.

Rox

o

I ain't afraid of no bunny
hugsCarol

o
Oh, Veeja!

o
Again....To Veeja:

*Smile* :O)
Melissa

o

Cedarnest, et al, do you think a completely non-plant/seeds/tubers/cuttings/etc. swap might be of interest? And if so, do you think such a swap or RR would be better suited to the "winter months" when actual gardening is usually limited or non-existent with most GW members? (unless they live in a zone conducive to actually growing stuff during those months - wintersowing not "counting", or are growing things indoors or in greenhouses or a focus on houseplants or such)

I tried to put my "box" together with a mix of unquestionably garden/plant related & non-plant/gardening stuff. I wondered though, especially when the kids caught wind of this swap, if maybe I just should have put together two entirely different boxes (and have the most interested kid/daughter on the swap list, albeit via my account since I'm the only one with a GW account to keep things simpler within the household).

I also wondered if anyone thought that a box-contents-totally-unknown swap would be of interest? And maybe like putting a "cap" on it, like limited to a flat-rate box (two sizes that I know of with USPS, or at least varying dimensions) or even a flat-rate priority mail envelope to have people limited to the same amount paid for postage, and at the same time possibly have to get creative in what they put into a box because of the size limit or dimensions.

I had an idea for a different sort of swap the other day, but never ironed out any details because things got funky with Kern's passing. I'm not sure if it would be of interest to ANYONE on GW or not in the RR forum... I should probably check other forums to see if there is any trace of a similar or same idea already around or done in the past.

So many of you so hyped about that Destined To See... and at first I thought to myself "well no worries from me, I'm just now 'getting into' daylilies thanks to my grandmother"... and then later I realized that THAT daylily was one on my cruising-the-web-wish-list...and to make matters worse, the others in that box aren't anything to snuff at and I'd love to have them in my garden. I guess that makes me a potential "threat" now LOL Though, in all honesty, that box isn't actually my first or second "preference"... On the daylily front, I only bought one this year that caught my eye, it's called "Strawberry Candy". I wish it were big enough to already divide from so that I could have offered it up in this swap. I can easily see why (from the web-cruising I've done) why and how so many of you are so taken or otherwise 'into' daylilies. :)

I keep having to remind myself that in the second round, if a box is "stolen" from us, we get the box that the "thief" is 'holding'... that hasn't really sunk into my head yet.

Geesh, after 11 PM here and it's still in the 80s... anyone else involved in this white elephant swap that is contending with a "heat advisory" status in their area?

o

o

Ok bunny, now I'M scared. LOL!

o
White-Hot here too!!!

Hermit,

I'm in the microwave with ya! This morning at 5 a.m. when I got up it was still 80 degrees. Predicting 105 today actual temperature; and should get about 115, 120 with the heat index figured in.

Note to self......go to post office E A R L Y!!!

I live in North Carolina 80 miles east of Charlotte and about 30 miles from the South Carolina border. They say it is supposed to 'cool down' to a mere 90 by Sunday. I never thought 90 would sound so good!!!

Roxanne

o

Miserable here too-today it's supposed to cool down to actual temperature of 97 from yesterday's 100 and we are supposed to hit 90 Saturday before starting back up the scale for next week. The humidity is stifling. We have had quite a bit of wind, unfortunately it feels like it's blowing from a blast furnace. I will be interested to see how this year stacks up statistically to other years; it has certainly felt "different" all year.

o

Hi everyone!
I will be out of town this afternoon until tomorrow night, so if it makes it to my turn, please know I will happily take what ever box is left!! Stay cool everyone! We'll be in the Twin Cities for a visit, and on Friday spend the day at Valley Fair. It is suppose to be 90. I was hoping for the 80's, but I'll take 90 over 100!!

o

Hi ladies!!! It's supposed to hit 100 today... the highest temp since 1980. :( Don't forget the humidity. Makes it feel a good 10 degrees higher. Ugh. Good thing I work the night shift and don't have to go back outside today.

So where are we at with the swap? I can't wait to see how it turns out!

o

Yes, It is miserably hot here! Everything was rotting earlier this year from rain and now it is burning up! The wind is so strong which helps but dries out the ground instantly when watering. Water for a couple hours everyday and doesn't seem to help at all!
Anxious to get to me!! Want to pick a box-but which one! Melinda

o

I guess if we don't hear from Firegurl this evening Vela will do the honors and get this swap rolling again. The more time I have to consider, the more my top 5 favorites changes. I may resort to Nancy's method of selection.

o

I am posting on behalf of firegurl...using the scientific method (i.e. draw out of a hat method), Firegurl chooses box #6 Hazelnutbunnies box

o
Vela's Post

It is now Wynatives turn all boxes available except 6, 7, 9 and 13.

o

Yay! Someone - in a VERY round-about way - chose my box! Wheeee!! :O)

o

(to the tune of Rolling-Rolling-Rolling Rawhide...) Roasting, Roasting, Roasting, tan my hide! Yup, what little wind we get, does indeed feel like it's coming from a blast furnace... I may be cremated before the end of the month if things keep up like this.

I'll be semi-silently bummed that Firegurl didn't get to choose for herself, but not over the top dramatic about it, for all I know she might have been so hard pressed to choose she may have resorted to numbers in a hat too! But the other part of me says Yeah! One participant's choice away from being my turn in round 1! Woohoo! Now, the trick is to NOT look at my list of choices like I jotted them down, so that I don't get myself all tied up in knots second, third, and fourth guessing my decisions *again*!

Trying to distract myself... I have to unload some stuff from my 'van tonight - in the dark, but certainly cooler than how it was today (again, well over 100F and then some)... the humidity is indeed stifling, yet not enough humidity to actually brew up even a light (rain) shower for us... I HAVE to unload stuff from the 'van though because, provided everything goes according to plan, we have a "new" rescue being picked up tomorrow morning and joining us. Not a canine - it would be a really bad time for another canine after Kernunnos' passing earlier this week, but rather, a ball python. It's been a long time since we had a keepable snake in Sanctuary. By keepable I mean not one of the many varieties of wild snakes that we've taken in, injured or sick, nursed back to health and then released back into the wild. The ball python was vetted by the lady who is relinquishing her and supposed to be mite and otherwise parasite-free and healthy and the vet cited a female on gender, so I'm pretty psyched up about having her join us. I/we haven't had any constrictors since before the kids were born, so it will be a new experience for them, though they have had experience with venomous snakes - so we'll just have to transfer their understanding of the potential "danger" from venomous to constriction... well, being bitten by even a non-venomous snake can result in a nasty infection, but as long as one is on top of things, rarely fatal. I hope this snake-talk isn't making anyone cringe? There's method to my madness really. Aside from liking snakes (and other herps) in general, actually having one that cannot (should not, illegal, morally wrong, etc.) be released provides me with the Joy (and I mean that, I'm not being sarcastic) of customizing a habitat for her - that means I get to re-research her species, native habitat (neither the current owner nor I know if she was bred in captivity or wild-caught originally) and PLANTS... wooooohoooo! She's been kept in glass containment, so I have plenty of time to double-check all of my research (amazing how much stuff you forget when you haven't had a species for such a long time) and "start from scratch" on her customized habitat. And, as an added bonus, since our winters get too cold during at least some length of time, for her to be outside, that also means her habitat will be created indoors and I get to have (as they are acquired anyway) new plants to fuss over. :) While it will take years, if started from seed, there's also the prospect of pinning down types of trees for her to (eventually - will have to grow up a bit before they can support her weight) to lounge around on/in. It's always fun to be able to have a "good reason" to add a tree or three to the collection for container-growing. This will also give me the chance to build a mock "Reptarium" (registered or trademarked brand name) - which are much healthier for herps. I've been waiting "a long time" to have an "excuse" to build one. The only reason I didn't while not having any keepable herps was because I didn't know what size to aim for - it varies from species to species and I could have built one too big or too small... now I know what to aim for! Anyone else on this swap have any types of herps?

Okay, I managed to distract myself from the boxes and my turn coming up for a little while in writing here. :)

Hermit

o

Well, I'm not too worried about round one since noone is going to end up with that box anyway unless they're lucky enough to want it and noone else does. Round one is just to get all of the boxes "in play"...I'll be more hesitant to choose someone's box in round two. Just be sure to let me know your choices. It may be wise for everyone just to send me their top choice anyway before round two begins...I promise I'll keep it a secret. That way if your computer goes down or something unexpected happens, you still get your choice. Just a thought. If you would like to send me your choice, please do, and if you'd rather just play that's fine too. I just hope everyone is having FUN!!

o

Hermit, what fun to have the opportunity to design that habitat! I've always had frogs as my fur free pets, but my oldest son Ian was given a Ball Python when he was in high school by a friend who purchased the snake and whose mother made him get rid of it when she found out (he kept it hidden for 2 months, somehow). Beautiful animal!

o

Good morning!

Bunny ~ LOVED the wolf/bunny pictures LOL!!

Hermit ~ OMG! A Ball Python! Lucky, lucky you! My husband is really freaked out by any snake or lizard (he says they are snakes with out legs - rolling my eyes!) Before I met him, me & my kids had snakes, lizard, frogs & any other creepy crawly they couldn't live without. But my favorite was a Diamond Back Rattler named Clyde. Clyde was 3+ feet long and a great 'guard dog' :) After people found out that we had him, I didn't even have to lock my doors! We found him in our yard and after 3 different times of moving him to different locations and him coming back, the kids convinced me to keep him for awhile. He was a great experience for us and became like one of the family. Although my sons hamsters learned to not take their balls anywhere near his cage! LOL

Here is my pick ~

#15 ~ Hermitonthehill ~ love the "Velma's Cactus" and the tea's!

Next......

o

Hermit's Turn!! :-)

o

WYNative, you can let your hubby know that actually, the snakes (notably the pythons) came after the lizards. :) The "bits" on either side of their vent underneath are residual of when they evolved from lizards and "lost" their legs. Clyde sounds like he was destined to be "captive" for a time and share his wisdom with you. :) Things today did indeed go well - though for a time, knocking on the door for a long time in the heat and carrying on a conversation with the gal's 2 yo at a window, we wondered if something had gone terribly wrong or what exactly - but eventually contact made in the flesh! And we brought her (the ball python) home with us. It had been awhile since she had eaten, about 2 weeks past her "norm" (though I kinda got the feeling it might have been longer), so I only picked up one feeder rat en route home for her. New people, new environment, new everything - I figured this would naturally put her "off" of eating... but the lady had told me it wouldn't. She was right. I wish I had picked up a second rat (she usually eats two of the size I picked up, every two weeks I was told). I had the snake in hand/arm, and my son opened the box the rat was in and I told him to make sure the rat didn't react to the snake by jumping out of the box, he was unsure how to handle it, so I took the box - the moment where she laid eyes on the rat, snapped up its head, and coiled several inches around the rat's body constricting were absolutely instantaneous! She is FAST! And she was HUNGRY! You would not believe this python's personality - so very, very different from every other ball python I've had or met - she VERY sociable! I know it was hard for this lady to part with her snake, she edged on tears, but for the same reason she chose me/us over others to re-home her, she also knew/knows that her "baby" will be just fine with us. The love and socialization and handling that this lady provided for almost the last three years with this snake is blatantly evident. (we also came home with two kittens that she found out after the fact, her 2 yo is allergic to - not sure if we will re-home or if we'll get attached before that happens). Before I fed her, I brought her in to "meet" my husband in hand/arm, privately without the kids around (or one particular dog who really wants to know what I brought home - that dog is "mine", if you will, and he doesn't understand why I wouldn't let him even sniff -- while she couldn't eat him, I know this snake is strong enough to constrict around his throat and if she bit him, it could turn nasty with infection and then I'd have to explain to the vet how the dog was bitten by a snake native to Africa, and so on - easier to just tell the dog "no") because I really wanted to feel him out on his impression of her/the snake. I was surprised when he was relatively quick to take her in hand himself (after she'd already made it a point to sniff him and start working her way up and around his legs as he sat somewhat reclined on the bed) and just kept nodding - that approving and impressed type of nodding. You know the type? He wasn't there with the introduction of the rat but I immediately hollered for him. She is such a GOOD eater! I mean really, especially for a species known to commonly be an issue with regular eating or to be easily put off of eating for any number of reasons. He came a-runnin' when he heard the kids' vocalizations - they were just thrilled to watch this predator at work, but especially because it was up close and personal without a zoom lens needed and not being aired on Animal Planet or Discovery Channel, etc. I figured there was a chance that her type, size, "nature", or graphic eating of live prey MIGHT put off one or more of the kids, but not in the least. I replaced her into her tank before the rat was dead (mainly because she was soon to be actually eating and I didn't want to have to sit or stand there for awhile while she worked the rat down) - took hubby helping to safely uncoil her grip on my forearm - I just didn't want to risk her first eating her and me handling her to result in even accidentally dropping her because of working one-handed and trying to avoid her head area at the time. Anyway, got her settled in to eat and I headed for a much-desired COLD bath - it was soooo hot again today and I was out in it all day "running". As I laid back, feeling like my skin was a sponge for the cold spring water, I commented in a semi-detached, almost euphoric but level tone, "I think I am.... thrilled." And I think that was the right word. Would it be melodramatic to say "I think I'm in love!" ? The gal is of the opinion that "after an animal reaches a certain age [not elaborated upon or specified], their name shouldn't be changed." I had asked about a possible name change, and if she responded to her name or the woman's voice - and she can't be certain. The name she has, just doesn't describe or "fit" her... she was named when the gal got her, and she didn't change it, so I mean absolutely NO offense here, but the name "Dank" for a beautiful snake? She's not 'dank'... dank is something that root-cellars can be. I'll have to look it up to see if there's some meaning to "dank" or use as a name that I'm not aware of... but I'm otherwise thinking she should have a name more befitting her appearance, personality, or even just her presence. I'll get photos of her at a later time. I didn't think to take them before she ate, because I really didn't expect her to eat so readily right after getting home (after riding/vibrations, the sheer heat of the day, if not from the new people/place factors), but since she has, I won't disturb her while she's actively digesting at this point. Gosh, sorry I wrote so much about this snake... I'm just on cloud 9 with her coming into our lives/life together. It's different than the excitement of a newborn puppy or young puppy or for that matter, any mammal...

WYNative, thank you also for choosing "my" box... if you still have it after round 2, *do* hook up with me via email and we'll see about finetuning it even more for your area and see if I've got anything else to include that you'd like to have or have been wanting. "Velma's Cactus" will include plenty of pups. I have intentionally been letting the pups "pile up" on 'her' with the heat we've got going on. I like blooms and all, but this year I really wanted to see to what extreme 'she' would go on being prolific... I'll also (if you're inclined), talk to you about a possible "fluke"/variation from the original VC that I have growing, that also has pups (again, I've been letting that one produce-away without as yet removing the pups - oh, that's something else, with VC, if you let the pups go long enough on the "mother" cactus, they will send out a couple of hardy roots - remind me of spiderplant offshoots' "air" roots - and if allowed to go on, will eventually fall off with those roots already ready to dig into the soil). As I suspect that VC is a hybrid, new plants from it can potentially show new traits themselves.

PoisonDartFrog - Do you or your son still have the ball python that he got from his friend??? And I can imagine hiding a snake for two months - or longer - been there, done that, got the t-shirt! LOL I was in my senior year and had the good fortune (well, I thought it was good fortune at the time) of getting my hands on an Emerald Tree Boa constrictor - I named him Beau of course. :) He was lovely - well under a year old. Unfortunately Beau and all of his shipment-mates were all infected with something that went well beyond mites or other parasites. One by one they were all reported back to the retailer/pet shop owner (he wasn't even 10 years old, but his folks had money and he wanted to run a pet shop - so they set him up - unless he's closed up shop recently rather than changed buildings, he's still around and now an adult - but to this day I refuse to do any business with him - info I later found out too late) as having died. Beau was the last to pass on. I was devastated. But I did manage to keep his presence a secret in two different households for several months - the latter was the toughest, my now-MIL, who is unreasonably scared of all snakes... even garter snakes. But I've got to talk frogs with you! I've only had native north american varieties in rescue/rehab and "African Water Frogs" in my youth as pets (and they were so cool!), so my pet-keeping experience with frogs and the different types is very, very limited. Shoot me an email? I'd love to hear about your experiences, what you've had and/or have, and LEARN more!!! I moved some presumably bullfrog tadpoles and either tree frog or common toad tadpoles from two standing water sources here into a 30g tank on a desk/table on the deck. I read how few survive to actually develop to maturity and that bummed me out, so now when I come across tadpoles here on the hill, I try to gather up at least a few and transfer to a tank outside where there is less chance of them being preyed upon. There is the exception with some of these that I have fed some to the "dinosaur eels" that came into Sanctuary. They gobbled them up. Last night I provided them with a common cricket, which one snatched up quickly, so I caught another cricket and put it in and the second one got that one. Definitely carnivores. I wish they were big enough to eat the larger (2-5 inches body length) grasshoppers, but one of the crickets was pushing it on size. I'm not sure if they'd go for grasshoppers if I cut them into smaller bits. They thrill with the chase of their meal, that much I've learned. But anyhoo, do email me? I had wondered by your S/N if you were just an admirer or if you might actually have some of the more "exotic" frogs in your care.

And my turn, my turn, my turn! LOL See Vela, I was getting to it! I wanted to respond to other things before my "picking" because I knew as soon as I went to double-check/make sure I remembered the box number correctly, I was going to start second-guessing....for me, I had "a tie" with either five or six different boxes to be my "first pick", and it was incredibly hard trying to put them in any particular order. It was tough on all of the boxes! But I "managed" by nixing those already chosen, trying really hard not to be greedy (is it greedy when you are so awe-struck by all of the boxes?), and thinking that if I kept it nice and tidy with some that I have only got a few types of but want to GRADUALLY expand my collection of that I might be blessed by the garden guardians. :) And it is sheer coincidence that after all I wrote above, that I had notated PoisonDartFrog's

BOX #10

There, I said/wrote it!

BTW, PoisonDartFrog - was looking at your trade page... your wish list... I can send you seeds for Mina Lobata/Spanish Flag, Papaver somniferum 'Persian White', and Valerian. "Lyre-leaf Sage" I think is aka Salvia lyrata, and grows wild here... the Latin one you have listed has a cultivar name so I'm not sure if it is the same or a hybrid, or if I have my Latin messed up on the native Lyre-leaf Sage here. But I can check the acreage and see if it's too late to collect seeds from any of those that have already bloomed this year. And I got today... it's supposedly to have "dark pinkish red flowers with contrasting dark green leaves", not sure if it would be of interest to you? It's Hydrangea 'Preziosa'.

Hermit - who is now waiting indefinitely to actually post because DSL has gone totally hokey because our only option in a provider sucks rocks and they continue to ignore the wisdom of my husband (who has tried getting the contract with them) that would solve ALL of their internet issues (not limited to DSL).

o

Oooohhh, I'm next!
I choose #2 Wynative's box (Marie's)

Deb

o

Oh, goodie! I'll jump right in and say I want cedarnest's box #3!!! Whoopee!

Becki

o

My, my; a lot has happened with this thread since lunch time.
Hermit, Ian and Monty moved about an hour away to Knoxville, but he sometimes visits. Monty that is; Ian is a regular visitor. And sadly I find myself frogless for the first time in 30 years. I have had a number of different frogs, exotic and native, but my favorite by far has been our native American Green Tree Frog. They hitchhike in on plants most autumns. They have so much personality! I had one for a long time that had the run of my bathroom. It was a large bathroom and filled with ferns and other plants and he was free to roam. When I took a shower he would cling to the shower wall and sing. I forgot about him once when I had a guest shower in my bathroom and they got quite a surprise when he started his high pitched trill. After being content with the bathroom as his domain for a long time he started showing up other places, clinging to windows and trilling plaintively. It was obvious he was ready to move on. One day my husband was making a sandwich and there he was, in the bag with the loaf of bread. I released him the next morning as he was clearly in danger of being dogged.

I have it narrowed down to three boxes and I am drawing a number now from those three-drawing a number-number 12, Paya's box.

o

I too have had a hard time deciding and just picked a number! Box # 5.
Now it is Veeja's turn!

o

Wow, finally, I have had box #4 in mind for quite awhile and it is still here, but is firegirl? I'll chance it. so #4 be it.ok bunny were coming after you or maybe I foud a destined to see we shall see.hugs carol

o

Ah, but Veeja, you may not be the only one with Destined to See on your radar. Even if you did find it, someone else may be lurking out there, watching and waiting....

o

ok........ It is getting so close for me to choose.. I am so excited. !!!! I am getting ready to go home for the day....... I won't be back on my computer till tomorrow... So... If my turn comes up today for this first round... Please someone pick for me.......

Thank you , Thank you !!!

o

Woooo! That's a man-eating bunny if ever I saw one!! Wow. LOL

Yay! 4 more left before the next round! Whoo-Hoo! This is gonna get good!

o

I was out in the sun all day and I'm not feeling well at all.....so please excuse me for not being around today..looks like there are four left for the first round. Yay!! Have fun and I'll check in tomorrow.

o

I believe it's my turn!!! Excellent! I'm going to keep it simple and.....

.... choose......

Box #1

Next?

o

Bunny there is a poisionus frog after you, worse than a wolf, be careful. come on you last three pick. Nancy thankyou for picking my box. do you have a doggie, or should I change the toy to another critter? go girls. hugs carol

o

Hi Everyone!!!
My SINCEREST APOLOGIES for holding up the swap! I am still on vacation. Unfortunately my Mom's internet has been down since I arrived and I had no idea what to do. I am so sorry. I went over to my sisters to use hers and let everyone know that I am still here and my box will still be ready to go out when I get home, I promise, no worries Veeja- or whoever ends up with my box. Vela--Thank you so much for picking for me. I would be very happy to receive Hazelnutbunnys box or any other for that matter. The ironic thing is that was actually my pick. I can't find apple jelly anywhere and was seriously tempted when I saw that as it's my favorite. Well I'm glad that you guys continued without me, I've been really stressed thinking that everyone was going to be angry about waiting and wondering.
Well everything is beautiful here in Connecticut, wow it has been humid! It's such a nice change from dry california. I went looking for monarchs yesterday and found tons of caterpillars on the milkweed in the field. There were so many and all were at different stages, some tiny some big. It was amazing. Hope everyone is having a beautiful weekend. Thanks again for putting up with me.
P.s.I will also be adding a rose cutting- "Neptune" a light blue-lavender rose to my box, hope it's not too late to do that-if so please let me know and I won't add it, I feel bad about making everyone wait for me and it's growing so quickly and beautifully.
:) Danielle
Firegurl

o

Good to hear from you, Danielle! Sounds like you are having a good time! Don't feel badly, you warned us all that you were going to be on vacation! Have a wonderful time, darlin'!
Rebecca

o

Hey firegurl, glad to hear that things are okay with you!
No reason to feel bad. Sometimes things happen that are out of our control. You have not missed out. The real fun is only about to begin!

o

Yay! Only 3 more picks to go before we get to the down and dirty part of the game. Heh.

o

ok taking root are you somewhere rooting? pull your feet up and get over here, lots of us wanna go rabbit hunting. hugs carol

o

Okay...maybe it's just me...but I get a weird feeling after Veeja talks about hunting poor, innocent little bunnies (me) and then gives HUGS. Hhmmmm... Do I run?? Or embrace??

o

PDF - definitely sounds like the tree frog found his ideal home for a good long while. I would have loved to have seen your guest's face in in the shower when they discovered they weren't alone! I'm betting your house-frog had some "magic" to share with you - but that would have been the end once it showed up in food! Of course maybe it began expanding its territory when/if prey ran out where you had all of the plants where it had settled in for so long?

Bunny hunting? Well, if it makes you feel any better HNB, the ball python isn't big enough to prey upon rabbits - not unless it's kits anyway. :)

Ooooo a "Neptune" being added is so cool! It sounds a lot like "Sterling Silver" - a rose I *used* to have for my son Sterling. Unfortunately it didn't survive its first winter here and I haven't seen another one available locally since. What a bummer. "Neptune" sounds a lot like it though!

Enjoyed the "garden party" yesterday with a small local group, but things have otherwise gone down hill over the weekend. The twins are "out" of their babysitting job and still no job prospects for us grown-ups here either. Things are bound to get worse before they get better at this rate. I may end up resorting to having to do my email and stuff from my parents' if we end up having to disconnect phone and electric and farm the kids out. At least I've got a couple of swaps to look forward to if nothing else!

When round 1 is done, will a list be posted and updated of everyone in the swap and what boxes they are "holding" so I don't get all confused? (which is really easy for me to do here lately - too much on my mind)

Think I'm going to have some flavoured cocoa - comfort foods!

Hermit

o

I need roses, I left all of mine at my old house so add all you want. hugs carol

o

Yeah, my turn.....

Oh Carol, you are too funny! Not rooting.....more like melting....way to Hot!
I'm having too much fun reading all the post....
You all are just crackin' me up, so....

Rabbit hunting it is.....LOL!

I PICK BOX #11.

Takingroot/Jaye

o

I guess I didn't miss a thing....... I choose box # 14. My birthday is the 14th ... So I think it is perfect.

o

Yeaa, my turn!! Lets see... I'd love to have box #8!! I love all the boxes! My daughter would love the bracelets.

On to round 2!!

o

YAY! Round 2!! Let's get started, Miss Vela!!! :O) :O)
Please take your time....BUT HURRY!!!! LOL

Great picture, Root!!!
Oohhh....FINALLY!!! The bunny wins!!! :O)

o

Oooohhh round #2 yay!

Deb

o

Should there be a new thread for Round #2?? That might make it easier to follow...

o

I think that would be a good idea.. like "White Elephant Round 2!!" but we could still finish filling up THIS thread with our chatter until it hits 150 msgs? I think I saved a copy of the boxes' contents in my yahoo notepad to refer back to, but I will still "need" a running list of who has what box at any given time or leastwise I think it would be useful - that way if any "stealing" does indeed happen, we can just look at the running list and see which box we are getting when we've been "thieved" :)

o

Ok Vela, hand out the guns, seems to be a lot of bunny hunters out there, ok I'm gonna hug bunny, maybe someone can get a good shot, just be careful not to hit me. hugs carol

o

Yes, I hope Vela is doing ok, she was feeling bad due to the heat! I hope everyone is doing ok. So hot and dry here now! Burn ban and heat index on and telling people not to go outside! Everything is burning up no matter how much I water! Just hoping to keep roots alive so they will come back next year!
I too love all the boxes and can't wait for round # 2 to begin! I won't be doing any bunny hunting but hope everyone is happy with there hunt! I would be happy with any of them really! Melinda

o

I hear ya Melinda.I don't think I have seen one box I wouldn't be happy as a clam to receive.You all have really made this great : )
Nancy

o

Sorry I was having major computer crashes last night...I think I have the bugs workd out. I have to go to work but I'll post tonight.

o

I am starting the new thread with round 2 :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here