Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dan_the_mailman

NEW: September Seeds-n-Stitches Lunch Box Social

dan_the_mailman
13 years ago

For September, we're going to have ourselves a "Lunchbox Social". For those who are unfamiliar with the term, a lunchbox social is defined as the tradition in which women decorate a cardboard box and fill it with a lunch or dinner for two. The men bid on the women's boxes anticipating a meal with the woman whose box it is. The bidding involves teasing, joking, and competition. The event frequently takes place in a town hall, school gymnasium, or church hall. The practice had fallen out of favor with young people in the 1970sÂ1990s, but has seen some resurgence in recent years. The rules today have become less rigid. Men now provide boxes as well, but the goal remains the same: raising money for a school, church, or civic project.

What we're going to do is this. Everyone will cut out at least (20) 5"x5" charms. A mix of solids, patterns, and colors would be great! Then we'll put our charms and some snacks, drink pouches, etc. into a small flat rate priority box. It will cost $4.95 to ship. Once we have finished signing up for this, everyone will play a game to choose who they are sending their box to. Once everyone has chosen someone as their partner, we'll ship out our boxes, then report back here to let everyone know what we received in our "lunchbox"! Sound like fun? I hope so!

Here's a list of what we're gonna do, and the dates we'll be using.....

Now until September 3rd: Sign-up and fill those boxes!

September 4th & 5th: Play game to choose our partners.

September 6th: Enjoy Labor Day!!!

September 7th-11th: Mail out our boxes

So, other than sending at least 20 charms (repeats are okay on this one), those are the rules for this swap, just be mindful of the dates! So, who wants to play?

-Dan & the Wee Beasties

Comments (92)

• gmom2-6boys
    13 years ago

Hi Dan,
    Ready and waiting for the fun to begin.
    Hopefully my husband will not want to go anywhere.
    I'll be checking in all day to see what is happening.
    gmom

• beth_b_kodiak
    13 years ago

Ready and waiting here.
    I'll be an "easy" partner since I drink coffee, tea and cocoa. Just not all at the same time.
    Can't wait to see what my partner prefers so I can go shopping for more goodies of some sort or another.
    The fabric selection is ready to go now.
    Not trying to hurry Dan or anything but......

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Tomorrow morning I'm sending you all into the tool shed to select some kind of tool associated with gardening. Once all the tools have been chosen, then I will tell you which tool is associated with each person playing. Then you will be responsible for contacting that person to get their mailing address, and mailing out your box of charms and goodies to them.
    Once you receive your box, please come back to the thread and post what you received from your sender.

See you all tomorrow!

=Dan

• quiltingfox
    13 years ago

Setting my alarm clock. Hopefully will be up when it first goes off. If I hit snooze too many times hubby is liable to push me out of the bed. LOL One way or the other I should be up and online in the morning. ;-) Just finished filling my box. :-) (totally excited here!)

Best to everyone,
    Sandra aka quiltingfox

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I've got my lists ready to post in the morning, and I'm feeling a bit like Santa on the night of the 23rd... ready to go, but having to wait until all my kids go to sleep before I can put the toys beneath their trees... hehehe.
    I'm hosting this swap and the MNF perennial swap, and tomorrow morning is when I post a partner-choosing game in both. I love it!

So tell me, who's ready to go to the shed???

• beth_b_kodiak
    13 years ago

me me me
    really pretty picture. Is that the view from the woodshed?

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Okay, it's just about midnight, and if I go ahead and post these lists now, I can sleep in a few more minutes in the morning. So, here we go...

Each of you are to go the garden shed and pick out a tool from the following list. Because of some things going on in each of their households, Linda & Melissa are going to be partners within this swap, and will not be going to the shed, as has been arranged with me earlier this week. The following people will be going to the shed, on a first come, first served basis. I will go last. Going to the shed are... kay_in_pa, quiltingfox, myself, ilovefarac, gmom, and beth_b_kodiak. Each of you go into the shed looking for a gardening tool. When you come out of the shed, you have in your possesion one of the following...
    hoe
    hatchet
    lawn mower
    sprinkler
    rototiller
    rake

What do you have?

• Melinda Hagen
    13 years ago

It's been really dry around here! I believe I'll take the sprinkler! Melinda

• User
    13 years ago

And the leaves have started shedding from the trees (from drought, not season) so I'll have to be using the rake.

Kay

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

AND WE'RE OFF! (I've always been a little off...lol!)
    Here's a list of who has which tool...
    hoe....................
    hatchet...............
    lawn mower.......
    sprinkler............ilovefarac/Melinda
    rototiller............
    rake.................kay_in_pa/Kay

• beth_b_kodiak
    13 years ago

I have the rototiller. I was looking for the wheelbarrow in the dark there and found the rototiller!
    That's OK I need this too.

• quiltingfox
    13 years ago

Grass is getting high, I will take the lawn mower. :-)

Sandra aka quiltingfox

• gmom2-6boys
    13 years ago

I'll take the hoe.
    gmom

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

...which leaves me with the hatchet.

Here's a list of who has which tool...
    hoe....................gmom
    hatchet...............dan_the_mailman/Dan
    lawn mower.......quiltingfox/Sandra
    sprinkler............ilovefarac/Melinda
    rototiller............beth_b_kodiak/Beth
    rake.................kay_in_pa/Kay

That was nice and fast! Now here's a list of who is sending to who. Please e-mail the person you are sending your box to and ask for their address. Here you go...

Linda sends to Melissa
    Melissa sends to Linda
    Gmom sends to Beth
    Dan sends to Sandra
    Sandra sends to Melinda
    Melinda sends to Dan (me)
    Beth sends to Kay
    Kay sends to Gmom

Okay, now get those addresses, send out those boxes, and start looking for one to come your way! When your box arrives, please post the contents here so we can all enjoy it with you!
    HAPPY MAILBOXING!!

-Dan

• quiltingfox
    13 years ago

Oh goody! Am so excited this fun! :-)

Best to you,
    Sandra aka quiltingfox

• Melinda Hagen
    13 years ago

Yeah, we have people to send too! Sandra I sent you an email! Dan I also sent you one. PlMK if you didn't receive! Hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend!
    Melinda

• quiltingfox
    13 years ago

Mailed Melinda's box today. :-) Hope everyone has a great week. Weeding my flowerbed this week and making quilt pattern templates. :-)

Best to everyone,
    Sandra aka quiltingfox

• lindaruzicka
    13 years ago

I forgot to post that I mailed Melissa's box yesterday..duh! I have the confirmation number, I just have to dig it out of my purse and post it.."wondering where my head is at"..."L"

• hazelnutbunny
    13 years ago

I finally got Miss Linda's box out, today. Thought I'd have it mailed Tuesday, but this week has been mean to me. I'm ready to trade it in for a new one...

• hazelnutbunny
    13 years ago

Ok! I received my box from Linda! Yay!
    She sent some TastyKakes! Yummy! There's an eclair, brownie & chocolate chip one...and also some peanutbutter cups & marshmallow cups! And there's some tea to go with it all...PLUS the fantastic charms! (I know what you mean about sending duplicates, Linda! It was difficult for me to pick some out too! But you did very well...I've only got 1 of the prints you sent! :D )

And it was great timing, too...because Friday is my "treat" day! I try to only eat goodies on Fridays, and stick to my diet for the rest of the week. So far, it's been working (I've lost 15lbs since July).
    ANYWAY...this will be the PERFECT treat! Chocolate & tea...can't get better than that!!
    Thank you, Miss Linda!!
    *hugs & squishes!!*

• lindaruzicka
    13 years ago

stressful week=chocolate, Miss Bunny, at least in my book!! I"m happy you liked everything..((HUGS))

• Melinda Hagen
    13 years ago

First, I apologize to Sandra for not posting yesterday! I got my fabulous box from her then! It had lots of goodies-a brownie, sweetarts, nerds. Also some nice things--tape measure, thimble, and box of quilter's pins! All will be very used!! A beautiful set of thank you notes and a magnetic shopping list for the refrigerator! Also a clip made with clothespin and a worm on it she made! Absolutely adorable! The charms are wonderful! Beautiful material with mix of greens, purples, and blues! And last but not least teas-blackberry sage, sweet ginger peach tea, and mango passionfruit! I love teas!!
    Thanks so much! Made a bad day turn good!! I loved it all! Melinda

• Melinda Hagen
    13 years ago

I forgot to add that she gave me tons of nice seeds! I will certainly be wintersowing them this year! Thanks again so much for a great box! Melinda

• beth_b_kodiak
    13 years ago

Hi Kay, your package is in the mail. Here is the DC# in case you want to keep an eye on it's progress.
    0310 0480 0003 0992 3532
    Bethb

• quiltingfox
    13 years ago

Melinda so glad you like what I sent! :-) It was a joy to fill the box. And the clothes-pin frig magnet is a caterpillar my young son made. Hope you get well soon!! That made me feel good that you like what I sent. Been running errands today and decorating for my kiddo's birthday party. This is my first time to participate in this swap and it is great fun! :-) It's great to meet other quilters. :-)

Oh and Dan sent you a b-day card. :-)

Best to you and have a great weekend!,
    Sandra aka quiltingfox

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I just got back from digging in the rain (which was kind of fun! I felt like a little kid!) and going to the post office with 3 boxes for different swaps. Sandra, the dc# for your box is 0310 0480 0001 5590 8004

• quiltingfox
    13 years ago

Thank you bunches Dan!! :-) Gives me something to look forward to this week. :-) My child's birthday party went well. Am a little exhausted from the day. Just posted more SASBE offers on Seed Exchange trying to clean out my seed box. Off to unwind from the day. Everyone have a great weekend!! :-)

Best to everyone,
    Sandra aka quiltingfox

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I just posted a seed swap for people not afraid to try a little variety in their gardens...lol. Everyone is welcome to join in the fun and have a few cocktails! I'm pouring!

• Melinda Hagen
    13 years ago

Want to apologize to Dan! I had your package ready to go yesterday am, but alas, was too sick to go to the po. I promise it will go first thing Monday am-it is ready, if I am unable to go out, I will have my Dad mail it! Thanks, Melinda So Sorry!

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Melinda, no apologies are necessary. Take care of yourself and get to feeling better, y'hear? -Dan

• hazelnutbunny
    13 years ago

Yep, Linda! The tasty kakes were just that...TASTY!! Yummmmy. Hubby especially liked the brownie, he had that one gone in 4 bites, I think. :D The chocolate chip one was great, by far my favorite. Sure made my Friday delicious!!
    We've decided that I should have you as a partner in the next few swaps..and you can just stash in a few boxes of tasty kakes....LOL!

• Melinda Hagen
    13 years ago

I sent your box today Dan! Hope you enjoy! The dc# is 0310
    0480 0001 5886 7674.

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sandra, I received your card today! Thank You! Those seeds will look great in the yard next year, and that blue floral fat quarter is just awesome! I may share some charms from it, but I don't know...lol! It looks almost too nice to share!

• User
    13 years ago

Beth, your package arrived! What a treat! There are so many fabric pieces with patterns I've never seen. It'll be so much fun using them!

And the treats look yummy. I'm heating water now to try the cranberry pomegranate.. already know what the Earl Grey tastes like, since it's one of my very favorites! I've also never tried some of the munchies, included. So this promises to be a great indulgence.

And thank you also for your card, reading it was like hearing from an old friend!

Hmmm... just took a very scalding sip of the cranberry pomegranate.. delicious!

Kay

• gmom2-6boys
    13 years ago

What a suprise I had at the mail box yesterday! I was charmed by Kay, and what a great box it was. She has made my lunch for a rainy afternoon. On the menu is:
    Soup of the Day: Spring Vegetable or Cr. of Chicken
    Entree: Chicken Salad and Crispy Crackers
    Fruit: Raisins
    Cheese: Cheese Fondue and Pretzles
    Nuts: Almonds
    Beverage: 3-Teas
    Dessert: Choc. covered Mints
    Fabric: 20 Charms Some of which were allready used this
    morning. I have enjoyed the morning. THANK YOU Kay. I didn't even know my box was on the way so I was not expecting it.

Beth, your box went out yesterday. Hope that you like it.

What are we doing for the month of October? Any ideas?

I have 9 blocks put togeather for my Monday charm quilt. It's looking quit nice.

Have a great day
    gmom

• lindaruzicka
    13 years ago

I received my box from Miss bunny yesterday. It was full of all kinds of cool stuff. Some really pretty charms, (I've decided to try a lap quilt with dark and light values and I can use alot of what you sent), Funky monky fruit that crunches, chocolate chunk chex mix bar, carmel creme tea, little coffees, lollypops, cherry pie lip balm., and coconut body lotion. I've decided to put all that in my 'grammy bag' to take to the hospital when I'm waiting for my grand daughter to be born. Miss Bunny also sent cup and saucer seeds, daylily, calla lily, blackberry lily, pumpkin pie spice lily dames rocket and fairytale pink daylily seed. All in all, a very delightful box!!!

• quiltingfox
    13 years ago

I just received a wonderful box from Dan that was covered in flower paper. It was a really beautiful box. It included coffee and coffee candy that I am sure my father-in-law will love. And he sent some fabric that really rocks - charms and some wood grain fabric to use on my canning jar quilt. Big hugs!! Thank you bunches Dan!!!! :-) Hope everyone has a great week. Fixing to go weed my flowerbed some more.

Best to you and many, many thanks,
    Sandra aka quiltingfox

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sandra, I'm glad you liked your box! That coffee I sent was my own mix, made from locally made flavors which I've combined into my favorite cup of coffee...lol!

There've been a lot of great lunchboxes delivered so far! ***applauding everyone***
    Here's a list of it all so we can keep tabs on how this swap is going...
    Linda sent/received
    Melissa sent/received
    Gmom sent/received
    Dan sent/
    Sandra sent/received
    Melinda sent/received
    Beth sent/
    Kay sent/received

Hey, that's pretty cool! Once Beth and I receive our lunches and post the contents, this swap will be over. That's a nice, quick, and easy swap y'all, thanks!

Now, who's hosting for October? And, when would you all like to switch back to swapping blocks? Personally, I'd like to wait until January before returning to making blocks. Cutting the charms out is pretty easy to do, and we've got the holidays coming at us pretty quick. So what do you all think? Charms or blocks?

-Dan

• gmom2-6boys
    13 years ago

I like the Charms but I really loved the Lunch Box. I can host unless someone else wants it. Holloween is coming up and we can do some cool boxes. Anyone up for another.

Gmom

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm be signing up for the October swap! I'm having a blast with these fabric swaps, possibly even more than the plant swaps, would you believe it?

• gmom2-6boys
    13 years ago

I agree with Dan. I LOVE my gardening but it takes a lot of work. The charm swap is easy as pie. I have a whole list of things I want to make with the charms and the quilting is coming along very well for me. I can do the quilting all.... year long but not the gardening.

So...Who is up for more other than Dan and myself, and what type.

I'll be gone for 4-5 days to see grand children. 2 of 3 turned 2 on Tuesday. So grandma is going to party. I don't know if I will have time to check in.

Have a great time with all the charms we've gotten and yet to come.

gmom

• lindaruzicka
    13 years ago

"throwing down a pack of charms"..I'm in!!

• beth_b_kodiak
    13 years ago

OK, me too. This may be my last one until after Christmas but it will help give some variety to my stash when I get back to the actual sewing AND of course it's such fun.
    This was one of the best and so good to have more nice folks joining in.
    BB

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

If whoever is going to host the October swap wants to go ahead and post it, I think that'd be okay with everyone...lol! It's starting to sound like we're all signing up again for the September swap...lol!
    I am sooo glad we've got this group!
    -Dan

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I received my box from Melinda today, and it was great! When I opened it, on top was a package of treats for Bump and Stella, so I opened those up and gave them some so I could go through the rest of the box in peace. They can be ever so "helpful" when a box arrives...lol! Once I had them situated, I found crackers and cheese (one of my favorite snacks), a variety of tea (already claimed by my roommate Joe. he's the tea drinker, I'm the coffee drinker), a package of smoked salmon (which I'm also going to give as a treat to the cats IF they're good this week-end), a fudge brownie (MINE!!!), simply indulgent tea which has flowers in it (not sure what'll happen with this, but it sounds like a lot of fun!), a great assortment of charms, and some tomato soup echinacea! Melinda, I've been wanting to try growing this, so these seeds are perfect! Thank You For Everything!!!

-Dan

• beth_b_kodiak
    13 years ago

I knew Sharon was away a couple days so I stalled on getting this posted.
    My Box lunch package arrived the end of the week and it was fantastic. I was oooohing and aahing over the tans and browns as I was opening the box. Sharon , they will be perfect for the farm theme I am planning. I couldn't have done better if I took my stuff in to match it.
    I munched the oreos as I looked carefully through the charms and look ahead to winter when I'll be using them. What fun
    Sharon sent some other food and drink treats and a couple pieces of Burrow tail sedum which I tucked into a new little pot.
    I just love this group and this has been one of the best swaps yet.
    hugs to all but especially to Sharon and Dan.

• sandlapper_rose
    13 years ago

Take a look at the heading "Gardeners Who Quilt." As some of you know I do most of my quilt related swapping on the Quilting Forum, but I have joined in on these swaps with Seeds-n-Stitches, too.
    Jeanne

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

And with Beth's posting, we can all turn to our sewing machines and get busy because I'm now banging the gavel and declaring this swap officially over. I've got admit, I wasn't sure how this idea would go over, but you've all done great with it and made me one happy host! Thank you one and all!
    -Dan

***heading over to check out that thread of Jeanne's***

• cindykg23
    13 years ago

Dan & Co-horts,

I just stumbled upon a mention of Seeds-n-Stitches, looked up this thread & have discovered that I'm missing out on a fantastically fun flock of funny friends. Or is that devilish & dizzy den of ding dongs?? Whichever...please would someone lead me to the Oct info so I can join along?? If I don't get a response I'll feel foolish & unloved, certainly unwanted:(:(

• blitzyblond_protege
    13 years ago

while reading through the intros I came across several references i didn't understand so i googled them. that delivered me to this thread. It's so much fun tracking ya all. If you plan on doing this after the first of the year I just might have to get involved. You realize ya all are addicting-- here it is midnight again :)