Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandlapper_rose

NEW: Fotess Sept. Swap: Very Victorian

sandlapper_rose
9 years ago

FOTESS SEPT. SWAP: VERY VICTORIAN

So what to you know about the Victorian era? Gardens, ribbon and lace trimmed items, flower gardens and pressed flowers, crazy quilts with that ever present spider's web, Edwardian cases, fans, lovely handkerchiefs, ladies keeping a diary or journal, an interest in the occult, tea parties, intricate Christmas decorations ... the list goes on and on. Think ornate, elegant, opulent, and overtly feminine
You will get to show the Victorian side of yourself with what you send to your swap partner in September. If you are inclined to upcycle or craft, you can make things to send. If you have seeds that would be used for a garden at that time, add some of those - maybe cottage flowers? Anyone can plan a little tea party to send in a box. In creating this theme, I looked back at two GardenWeb Swaps that took place as long ago as 2006.

Please note: You must be a member of FOTESS in order to participate. If you are not a member and want more information, contact me or Shirley.

Suggestions for the Swap:
Hankies
Diary Journal
Fan
Ornate Brush, Comb, Mirror
Book
Seeds
Ornaments (Christmas or Halloween)
Handmade card
Lace
Garden
Tea time
Ribbon
Spiderweb
"The occult" - works well with Halloween next month
Velvet
Crazy quilts
Doilies
Angels/Cherubs
Kissing balls
Velvet
Valentines

Mail out deadline will be September 20.

If you don't have an idea of Victorian items, you can get ideas online. There is even a catalog that specializes in the Victorian look. Do a search for Victorian crafts or Victorian gardens to get some ideas. Keep it simple in terms of dollars, but keep it special, too! In fact, keep to an estimated $15 on the items you include and less is fine is you are crafting. Your time and effort are equal to monetary amounts with our FOTESS swaps!

Comments (119)

• EricaBraun
    9 years ago

I received my package from Mandy today. It had a lovely tea party inside -- Victorian-style cups and saucers, homemade scones (omg yum! Hubby and I gobbled those right up), tea, bookmarks, postcard, information about Victorian plants, and a wonderful array of seeds!

• xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
    9 years ago

I received my prize for the Victor/Victorian game! It's a cute little notepad. Perfect! I love it and I'll definitely use it. I wonder how the Pioneers survived without notepads, post-it notes and spiral notebooks!
    Heidi

• sjc48
    9 years ago

Evening, Everyone!

I'm doing well, feeling lots better, but again, I think this is going to be a long process. Finished those wretched antibiotics, which accounts for most of the "well feelings". And I went back to work last Wednesday.

Love reading about the Victorian packages that have been received, very creative, Ladies!

Mandy, a grape festival in Paw Paw? Could you give some more info please? Have never heard of it. But I just bought some more plant markers from Everlast. Great company, with good service.

Got lots done outside this weekend, my Mom's Memorial Iris Garden is FINALLY in the right bed, fully transplanted, re-planted and ready for winter. Can't wait to see what it looks like next spring. My Mom's name was Alma, and would you believe I found an Iris, at Schriener's, called "Ask Alma"?! Very pleased with that!

Jeanne, I got the new membership list, thank you!

Heidi, maybe they wrote on birch bark, like the native Americans. Just a thought.

Well, off to get ready for bed. I'll be posting the October FOTESS swap in a week or so. Hope to see lots of our members joining in.

Shirley!

• canyonwind
    9 years ago

Shirley, so happy you are feeling better!!!!!

Heidi, I wonder if the Pilgrims simply remembered everything that was essential to their lives, to survive. Could it be that they handled/remembered the important matters and did not waste their brain time on the trivial stuff?????

And Heidi, your package did not depart last evening as planned. The machine was busted...thus it will head out this afternoon. I will post tracking info tonight or in the morning. Sorry about the delay!!

Looking forward to October FOTESS.....oh what will Shirley have in store for us?

Happy Tuesday!

Annie

• l1oness
    9 years ago

Promise - yes, Paw Paw is lovely this time of year. They decided to create new bike lanes and paint them purple, which is kind of unique. Grape fest was actually a couple of weekends ago - it's always a lot of fun. They do a grape stomp contest, they have several bands, they do wine tastings at the wineries, they have a carnival and craft fair each year - I always try to go! I made it for a few hours this year.

I'm not sure about grape seeds, but I'll see.

Jeanne & Shirley - I hope you both feel better soon!

Mandy

• gmom2-6boys
    9 years ago

Jeanne your box went out today. Should arrive on Friday. If you need the # just let me know. My box is just beautiful. Thank You! I'm trying to post a picture. But I don't know how.
    gmom
    Sharon

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Glad you liked your package, Sharon. I took a picture before I packed it so I'll post it for you. (It helps me to remember what I sent!)
    Jeanne

• canyonwind
    9 years ago

Paw Paw, MI has a grape fest....how fun!!! Are the wines good? Is there a certain grape that grows well in that area?? I need to read about the wineries in MI. Next time I load up on vino at Trader Jo's or Bev Mo, I will have to check out Michigan wines.

Sharon, prayers for your friend. The quilt you are making sounds beautiful. And friends sign the picket fence on the quilt. That is lovely...............

Heidi, "Very Victorian" hit the PO yesterday afternoon. It should arrive Thursday or Friday.

Your tracking # 9114 9012 3080 3969 0923 69

Enjoy your day!!

Annie

• EricaBraun
    9 years ago

If anyone's done a trade with becki25msmolly, please send me an email. Thanks!

• Pmb2005
    9 years ago

Annie - Welsh's is in Lawton, the next town over. They pride themselves on their Concord Grapes. They are delicious!!! St. Julian Winery is in Paw Paw, Michigan. It is the oldest winery in Michigan, since 1936.

Jayeanne!!!!!! Be still my heart!!!!! That was one fantastic, fantastic package! Your tracking number is 9114999944313019445340. Expected delivery is Friday. 9/26/14. I will do a different post to rave about this package you sent.

This post was edited by pmb2005 on Wed, Sep 24, 14 at 22:49

• Pmb2005
    9 years ago

Jayeanne sent me a very thoughtful package. The contents of this package are:

Tea beyond blooming teapot to brew loose leaf tea or natural tea leaves/flowers (This thing is awesome, I promise to post a pictures of the tea blooming)
    It came with 2 flavors of tea blooms.
    -Pink Peony: Premium Silver Needle Green Tea, Peony.
    -Fairy Melody: Premium Silver Needle Green Tea, Jasmine, Marigold and Globe Amaranth.
    I can not wait to try this!!!! I will run over to my neighbors house and enjoy this little masterpiece with her and of course take pictures!

Very Victorian Card
    Seeds!
    -Heirloom tomatoes - Summerfeast (DH snatched this out of my hands!)
    -Butterfly Asclepias Bright Wings
    -Honey Scented Alyssum Summer Peaches
    -Fragrant Sweet Peas April in Paris
    -Pan Pacific Greens Renees Stirfry Mix

The most HEAVENLY milk chocolate carmel brownie I've ever tasted!!!

Daylilies:
    Raspberry Tonic Daylily
    Victorian Lace Daylily

Jayeanne - These are so beautiful and perfect. They are exactly like the ones I've been eyeballing!!! I love the pink and green center of the raspberry and I love, Love, LOVE that lacey outter petal on the Victorian Lace.

Thank you so very much Jayeanne. :) You've made me day. Can you see me glowing from there?

Promise

This post was edited by pmb2005 on Wed, Sep 24, 14 at 22:50

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The Victorian folks would have been very jealous of us receiving these wonderful packages!

Updating the list:
    Jeanne sends to Sharon - Received
    Sharon sends to Jeanne - Sent
    Mandy sends to Erica
    Erica sends to Mandy.- Received
    Heidi sends to Annie - Received
    Annie sends to Heidi - Sent
    Jayeanne sends to Promise - Received
    Promise sends to Jayeanne.

Hope I got them all. Will "see you" tomorrow!
    Jeanne

• EricaBraun
    9 years ago

Jeanne - I received my pack from Mandy.

• pinkiris
    9 years ago

Promise =)

Soooo happy you are happy with your package =) Yes I could see you glowing all the way over here, LOL. I had a lot of fun putting that together for you =)

Jayeanne

• Pmb2005
    9 years ago

Jeanne - Jayeanne's package went out today. It's expected on Friday. Tracking no. 9114999944313019445340.

• Pmb2005
    9 years ago

Tea with my neighbor. I love her cups! This was a very fancy occasion. Thank you again Jayeanne!

This post was edited by pmb2005 on Thu, Sep 25, 14 at 8:12

• Pmb2005
    9 years ago

Here is the tea blooming! This is the Fairy Melody.

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

Promise your daughters must have been tickled to see two packages come this week!

• Pmb2005
    9 years ago

The girls have been enjoying our Swaps. My oldest Anna and I visited a neighbors garden the other day and my neighbor was very impressed how much my 9 year old knew about plants. I'm glad I can pass this legacy to my daughters.

• pinkiris
    9 years ago

Promise - amazing photos! Your neighbors tea cups are beautiful! that blooming fairy melody is so neat! thanks for including us in your cup of tea =) I bet your neighbor was ecstatic. So glad you liked your package! =)

Jayeanne

• Pmb2005
    9 years ago

This is the Tropicana, hand me down rose, I acquired this summer. It's the most fragrant rose. Oh I just love it!!! Had to share with you.

• EricaBraun
    9 years ago

Promise -- Love the rose and that very cool looking tea! Thanks so much for sharing. :)

• canyonwind
    9 years ago

Oh my, a for real tea party! How lovely!!!!

Promise, thanks for the wine/grape info!!

And Jeanne, I forgot to mention...I did receive the updated FOTESS membership list. Thanks!

Annie

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I received my package from Sharon today. Thanks so much, Sharon - perfect Very Victorian items.

Sharon sent a lavender scahet, several kinds of tea bags (some of my favorites), a lacy looking crocheted bookmark (and I do love to read), a little teapot shaped holder for used teabags once you take them out of the cup, a pin with flowers that says, "This is the day the Lord has made" and a sewing kit - I think Sharon must have made this as well as the bookmark. The sewing kit is also beautiful with an appliqued basket of flowers on the front and blanket stitching around the edges. This will be so handy when I stitch down quilt bindings or sew on buttons, etc. It's very special l! I'll try to take a picture tomorrow.

I love seeing the blooming tea, Promise. How fun is that!

Updating the list:
    Sharon sends to Jeanne - Received
    Mandy sends to Erica - Received
    Promise sends to Jayeanne.- Sent

Thanks, everyone, for being so good about posting when you mail and receive.

Jeanne

• l1oness
    9 years ago

What lovely packages and that blooming tea pot is amazing!

I promised a picture of my box contents, and here it is! Thank you again Erica!

Mandy

• gmom2-6boys
    9 years ago

I did receive my updated mailing list. No mistake with my addy.
    Glad you liked your box.
    gmom
    Sharon

• pinkiris
    9 years ago

Promise - thank you so much for the very thoughtful made with love Very Victorian Tea party! This box was decorated so beautifully that I hated to tear it apart... teas and roses lining the inside box flaps....absolutely loved it...You made my heart melt....

Im gonna go ahead and list what you listed on your sweet note and then Ill share some photos....please dont worry about the photos... I am gonna ask DH to try and look at this and see what he can do =)

Inside this Very Victorian box was.....

**A very beautiful rosebud (Red) - Pure and lovely...smells heavenly

**African Violet - Modesty ..... You know my grandmother who is now passed, used to have African violets and I remember as a child always looking at those when I would visit her with my mother. Brings back such good memories =)

**Seeds...wow! She also included the following Victorian meanings for them.

Bells of Ireland - Good Luck
    Chamomile/Golden Marguerite/Anthem - Energy in Action
    Coreopsis - Always Cheerful
    Dahlias - Dignity and Elegance, forever thine
    Lily yellow - Im walking on air, false, gay, gratitude
    Lupine - Imagination
    Mallow - Delicate Beauty Sweetness
    Marjoram - Joy Happiness
    Poppy Red - Pleasure
    Sunflower - velvet Queen
    Lobelia - Crystal Palace
    California Poppy - Mission bells mixed

**She also included quite the selection of tea! I love tea! and now how will I ever choose which one to try first? =)

- Black Tea ...one of my favorites
    - Apple Cinnamon...wow
    -Hibiscus Mint ....sounds yummy!
    -Box of assorted fruit teas...very interesting as Ive never tried these
    -Box of assorted herbal teas....love these!

**Also included such a beautiful handmade Very Victorian fan!

** some very Victorian stickers as well .....

Thank you so much Promise...I think its time for a tea.

Jayeanne

• pinkiris
    9 years ago

Very Victorian ....

thank you Promise

Jayeanne

• pinkiris
    9 years ago

Unfortunately this didn't make it in one piece....

Jayeanne

• pinkiris
    9 years ago

I thought maybe DH could work his magic but now Im not so sure....I do have the top of this (see in above photo) that I will keep with my tea....

Jayeanne

• Pmb2005
    9 years ago

*sniffle* I am so sorry :( I hope the plants make it.

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I was happy to see pictures when I logged on - which reminds me that I need to take a picture of the items that Sharon sent to me. So sad that the lovely little teapot broke. The Victorian fan is beautiful - love it!

Updating the list:
    Promise sends to Jayeanne.- Received

Looks like we are close to finishing up the month.
    This has been lots of fun!
    Jeanne

This post was edited by sandlapper_rose on Sat, Sep 27, 14 at 10:44

• canyonwind
    9 years ago

Oh, what a shame about the teapot. Promise, what is your "recipe" for the teapot.....how did you do what you did?

These "Very Victorian" packages have been fantastic!!

I just checked on Heidi's package. It was delivered yesterday.

Thank you Jeanne for this "Very Victorian" month of September. Aboloutley loved this......

Annie

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A photo of my package from Sharon!
    Jeanne

• xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
    9 years ago

My Very Victorian came today! What fun! (Pinky is in the correct position.)
    As you can see, I received a crocheted hat (did you make that yourself?), Thayers Rose Petal Witch Hazel with aloe vera. A lovely angel ornament that says "Heart of Gold", deluxe mixed nuts, soap angel (in chiffon pouch) that smells heavenly, gold foil wrapped Almond Roca candies and...
    1 Tblspn worm castings
    Vibrant Color Zinnia seeds from Ferry Morse
    Butterfly Zinnias Cha-Cha-Cha from Renee's Garden
    Slenderette Bush Bean
    Snow Pea
    Tomato-Break O'Day
    Cosmos-Fizzy Rose

I received it yesterday, but I held onto it. My daughter, who is modeling the lovely hat Annie sent me, had 3 friends overnight. Then we went to the little airport and they got to ride a small plane and a helicopter and have breakfast. So now that the teenagers are gone I'm diving into my treat bag! Oh what fun! Thank you so much. I love every bit of it.
    This summer I told myself I didn't need to save so many seeds. Calm down. Nobody cares that much. It's just hard to stop. They are taking over my work area, but who can throw away a seed?
    Heidi

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

I am sad to see that broken teapot with the roses. Might there be the start of a garden mosaic made with those pieces? Garden steppine stone or covered terra cotta pot?

Mary E. (not in this fun, fun swap)

• canyonwind
    9 years ago

Mary, I was thinking the same thing. If it can't be fixed, than a "mosaic something" would be beautiful.

Heidi, I know that you crochet. You will "recognize" my many mistakes. I learned crochet maybe 24 years ago, did not do it for a few years and then got back in to it back in January. I started doing caps.beenies for NICU babies, chemo patients and veterans and NICU baby blankets as well. I would not call your hat Victorian but the colors fit the bill......LOL! I felt the need to make your brim extra frilly....kind of fun!!

Did you find the english toffee recipe enclosed? Try it.....tasty stuff!

Happy weekend!

Annie

• pinkiris
    9 years ago

Promise... how creative you are! What a transformation! I just think this teapot is so beautiful- Ive decided to try and create something like this with it...It was the thought that counts and I feel bad now for posting about it breaking. I am not upset at all about it... but here is what Ive got in mind for it =) Ill be sure to post the after photos for you =)

Thanks Mary and Annie for the clever idea! I love to reuse and recycle so this is perfect....

Jayeanne

• Pmb2005
    9 years ago

Annie - The teapot was painted and I used adhesive decals I printed and I put a clear coat over that. I wish I could say I painted those roses, but I didn't. The rest I painted and it shows. I just wondered if I could take a plain, boring tea pot and put Victorian life into it, without having the hand of Monet!

Jayeanne - I feel awful I didn't package the teapot better. After seeing how your teapot was packaged and made it, I'd do it all differently. The teapot would have made a wonderful planter. I promise I will make it up to you Jayeanne. The gift you sent just brightened up my world. The broken pot with succulents is very nice. Might I recommend the gel superglue at the Dollar Tree. Oddly enough, that glue fixed our kitchen sink faucet handle. That baby gets some abuse.

Shirley - You're in my prayers for your surgery and quick recovery.

Mary - The girls and I went to a horse show tonight. Our friend was showing her horse and gave the girls horse rides. I have pictures, but technology is impeding on my sharing it with you right now. Will post later.

God bless you my gardening friends!

• canyonwind
    9 years ago

Jayeanne...great idea!! Succulents do have a way of showing up in very unique spaces...LOL!! And it always works!!

Promise...I need to turn a teapot in to a work of art like you did!! Thanks!

Happy Sunday!

Annie

• EricaBraun
    9 years ago

Jayeanne,

I can't stop looking at that awesome succulent pot you posted. What an amazing way to repurpose broken pots. Is that one from your garden? However did that planting is hugely creative... and I'm normally not even a succulent fan.

• pinkiris
    9 years ago

Promise....Seriously please do not worry or fret any more over the beautiful teapot....It was meant to be like this and so now I will transform it again =) I love succulents and will try and use the imagination to come up with something unique for this. Picked up some cactus soil over the weekend ...now time for me to use my thinking cap =) Thanks Annie and Erica... Erica that was not my photo but just used it as reference as to how I was going to 'try' and reuse/recycle the beautiful teapot. =)

Jayeanne

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Heidi received a great swap package!

Updating the list:
    Annie sends to Heidi - Received
    Promise sends to Jayeanne.- Received

... and we are done!
    Thanks for all the fun we had here this month.

Jeanne

• sjc48
    9 years ago

Hi Everyone!

Great swap, Jeanne, loved reading about all the great Victorian packages!

I am working long hours this week and coming home, eating dinner and hitting the hay, so I will be posting the "October FOTESS Anniversary Challenge"
    on Saturday, when things have slowed down a little. It is going to be a VERY simple swap, a kind of getting back to our roots type of swap! Hope to see lots of you join in!
    See you all on Saturday,
    Shirley!

• Pmb2005
    9 years ago

Today I ordered a replacement for Jayeanne's tea pot that broke in shipping. It will take 3-10 days for shipping and there is not a tracking number that they gave me, but if there are problems I have someone I can contact, so please let me know. Thank you.

• Pmb2005
    9 years ago

Today I sent out a Sorry Box to Jayeanne. The tracking number is 9114999944313019446408. Expected Delivery is Wednesday 11/05/14. Just to be clear, there should be 2 packages arriving to Jayeanne. I am sorry the tea pot broke and it took so long for me to make it right.

God bless!!

• Pmb2005
    9 years ago

They sent me the other tracking number today. Apparently that one is going through UPS. 1ZW470W1YW03426458

I hope you enjoy your gifts Jayeanne.

Your gardening friend,
    Promise

• pinkiris
    9 years ago

Promise, I just want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for the most amazing and thoughtful 'sorry box' you sent my way in replacement of the 'broken teapot'. Thank you so very much for everything you sent. I am just overwhelmed with your generosity and kindness. I absolutely just love everything you sent....everything is perfect and arrived in perfect condition. Thank you so much! ((hugs!)) This really means a lot Promise, thank you.

Included in this wonderful box of gifts.....

* A very beautiful and sweet card
    * A super cute snowman tin filled with all kinds of goodies...
    * bath and body works hand sanitizer vanilla bean and holder
    * blistek medicated lip ointment
    * chapstick classic cherry
    * Jergens healing hands handcream
    * A variety of seeds including.... tomato white cherry, anise hyssop, old fashioned poppies, lumina white pumpkin, squash winter hubbard blue, winter squash queesland blue...so excited to try all of these as they were all on my 'wish' list =)
    * 2 beautiful Christmas hand towels
    * Vanilla Chai Black Tea - this looks soooo good....
    * kleenex to go packs
    * beautiful silver angel ornaments (they will look beautiful on my pink and silver tree here soon)
    * a package of Lindt Milk Chocolate Truffles...oh yum!
    * a very creative sheet of name labels with snowflakes! Perfect, just in time for the holidays!

I am just in awe that you went out of your way to do this for me, it is very much appreciated, and I thank you so very much.

Your garden friend,
    Jayeanne

• pinkiris
    9 years ago

Promise -

thank you very much from the bottom of my heart for this beautiful teapot you sent. I rec'd this yesterday and just now have a minute to post a photo. You went above and beyond in sending a 'replacement' for the one that had got broken in our swap. You did not have to do this, I am forever grateful. Thank you so very much. =)

Hugs!
    Jayeanne

• Pmb2005
    9 years ago

Jayeanne,

You're welcome! I'm glad you are delighted. Tis the season of giving and I'm sorry if it took me too long to send a replacement. Life happened and I am sorry if you thought I wasn't going to make it right. You're a generous friend and I would never do you like that. I hope that the holidays bring you all of your favorite people and moments.

Promise =)