Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandlapper_rose

NEW: Sept. Our Bloomin' Friends Swap: Storybooks

sandlapper_rose
9 years ago

OBF Storybook Themed Swap

Please note: You must be a member of Our Bloomin' Friends in order to participate in this swap. If you need more information please contact Shirley or post the request for information here.

Boxes should be mailed by September 20th

I searched back through some earlier swaps for this theme. Do you have a favorite storybook? For this swap you will be filling your box based on that story!
For Example: Goldilocks and the Three Bears
The box could contain seeds for a cottage style garden, honey scented soap, bear items like a pot hanger, teddy graham crackers, etc.

When you sign up, DO NOT POST THE NAME OF THE STORYBOOK you will be sending. E-mail your storybook title to me. I will be using them to play a simple selection game beginning on Sept. 13 when I will post the list of storybooks to choose from. Beginning at 12:01 a.m. on Sept. 13 anyone who has signed up can choose which storybook themed box to receive if it has not already been taken. We will use the postings here on the board to see who asks for the book first. When all the stories are chosen I will post the name of the partners. No storybook can be repeated so sign up soon!!

You only need to include the book if you want to. I know some books can be pricey. You may use whatever size box you would like, but please do not spend a large amount on the contents and mailing. The swaps are meant to be fun and not costly. Keep in mind that the contents need to fit the theme of the swap, so you can send whatever you'd like that would fit in with the title of your book. That could include plants, seeds, garden goodies, yard decor, edibles, decorative items, etc. Just fill a box up with goodies that you would like to receive.

This should be a fun month!
Jeanne

Comments (150)

• mellen
    9 years ago

Earthly, thank you for posting this. So very, very sad to be losing such a wonderful friend. She was one-of-a-kind.
    Mellen/ME/Mary Ellen

• smitties
    9 years ago

How sad I am to hear the news of Carol. It is so hard when we lose one of our GW friends. Even though most of us never meet, I always feel we are all close friends. I will keep her and her family in my prayers. Thanks for letting us know.

Margo

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for letting us know about Carol. I remember all the fun that she shared with this group.

Yes, in order to call out Bingo you need all 10 words. We'll see if someone gets it in another day or two.

The swap packages that have been mailed:

Sheri to Jeanne
    Erica to Nicole
    Margo to Susan

I'm having a medical test run tomorrow so if you don't see me that's why. It's outpatient, but we'll have to see what the sedation does to me.

So, once again - posting early. These are Wednesday's Bingo words.

6. Chemist

1. Microbiologist

See everyone tomorrow or maybe Thursday.
    Jeanne

• brittneysgran
    9 years ago

Maryanne-So sorry to hear about Carol...Yes life is short so live it to the fullest. Carol has been a long time gardening friend and I will treasure the plants I have received from her over the years.

Just left a message for her DH and family on facebook from our group.

Jeanne-Good luck with your medical test tomorrow. Prayers being said for you sweet lady.

Shirley

• canyonwind
    9 years ago

God Bless Carol.......Thanks Carol for lots of laughs and lots of fun.............and your great sense of humor.

Jeanne, thinking of you tomorrow.....prayers for you.

Annie

• EricaBraun
    9 years ago

Such sad news today. I didn't know Carol, but I do know that life is precious. She is in my thoughts.

Jeanne, I hope all goes well for you tomorrow. I'll keep you in my prayers.

• Panhandle_Seed_Swap
    9 years ago

Love and appreciation to you, Carol. I'm praying for you.
    I hope she's getting wonderful, loving care.

Sheri

• Panhandle_Seed_Swap
    9 years ago

Jeanne...

I hope your outpatient procedure is a breeze! Fasting is always the worst part. ;) Talk to you soon!

Sheri

• Pmb2005
    9 years ago

Jeanne,
    I'm thinking about you and praying as you have your procedure today. God bless you.

I'm sorry to hear about Carol. As a founder of this group that I love, I can see she has touched many lives. I send my prayers. God be with her and her family.

âÂÂSilently, one by one, in the infinite meadows of heaven,
    Blossomed the lovely stars, the forget-me-nots of the angels.âÂÂ
    â Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Evangeline: A Tale of Acadie

God bless all my OBF, friends. We all struggle with something everyday, but know you're not alone. I love you.

Promise

• bluee19
    9 years ago

sending u cyber hugs Jeanne!

• pinkiris
    9 years ago

Sending hugs and prayers to Carol - I must admit this has become one of my favorite things to do each month ..... I agree with Promise we do all seem to struggle with something everyday and I too wish God's blessings to all of you ....

Jayeanne

• smitties
    9 years ago

Jeanne, hope all went well today and be sure to rest.

Everyone here has so many heartfelt words. Every one of my gardenweb friends is a blessing. We can all come on here and share our lives whether it be good news, bad news, or anything the effects our lives and we get such genuine encouragement. I want to thank all of you for your friendship and I hope to meet many more wonderful gardening friends as time goes by.

Margo

• Melinda Hagen
    9 years ago

Sorry haven't been on much. Just got over a bug and been a long month already.
    For those who knew the lovely Carol, she passed away this afternoon! Heaven gained another lovely angel She will be greatly missed!
    Please pray for her family, I know it's hard on them. I am crying and she is just in my gardening family! So many of you are such blessings after so many years!
    Melinda

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm so sorry to hear about Carol. She brought us lots of fun in this group over the years. Promise, I love the Longfellow quote that you posted. I hadn't heard that one before.

I'm still very sleepy from the sedation I got, but I wanted to say that I received my storybook package from Sheri. It's fantastic and what a nice day to receive it! I will post the details of the swap items tomorrow and take a picture as well. Sheri, you spoiled me a whole lot!

Jeanne

• smitties
    9 years ago

Melinda, thank you so much for posting about the passing of Carol. She has been on my mind all day. Obviously I never met her but it doesn't matter, I knew her as a fellow gardener and a good online friend. She will be missed.

I know Carol loved roses. I put in a new rose a month ago and I am going to dedicate that rose to Carol. When I tend it, I will think of her.

Margo

• brittneysgran
    9 years ago

Margo-The rose is a lovely gesture in memory of Carol. When a plant is planted in memory of someone you can definitely remember them always especially when it blooms. Thank you for being a gardening friend as well.

Melinda-Sorry to read Austin had a dirt bike wreck...It's good that God made our hearts so strong. What a scare when something happens to our family. Good to hear he will be OK.

Carol Bea rest in peace and may you now care for God's garden. I know it must be a sight to behold gardening friend.

Jeanne-Glad you now have the tests behind you. Praying for good results.

Shirley

• remy_gw
    9 years ago

Humm...I thought I posted earlier, but I must not have. Well here's it is again :
    Hi All, Long time no see for some of you. I just heard about my pal Carol, and I'm so very sad that she is gone. If it wasn't for her, I would of never joined this group when it first started, and I would never become friends with so many of you over the years.
    I will miss her humor, but I will always laugh to myself of the times it got her in trouble!
    It is a very sad day,
    Remy

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So nice to hear from so many about Carol and her passing. She would have been touched.

Thursday's Bingo words:

1. Science Teacher
    2. Mycologist

Will print the full list once again after I draw the Friday words. It's getting to be long! I hope these new words get someone close to (or at) Bingo.

Jeanne

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm back with another thank you to Sheri for the wonderful Pinocchio package. I took a picture to share and I probably won't get everything on the list because the box was so full!
    Notice the cute fox figurine (J. Worthington Foulfellow) - I think I will add him to a fall centerpiece for my table
    Oreo Cookies and Biscuits with Chocolate
    Wonderfully made tags with Infomation and pictures of all kinds - even Bollodi, Italy, where the author of Pinocchio lived.
    Soft wire plant ties - clever tag with a picture that relates: this one says "I've got no strings to tie me down."
    Many many packs of beautiful seeds for my garden next year
    Empty plastic seeds bags ("Before Pinoccio became a real boy, he was empty inside ... just like these empty seed bags.")
    And the following irises and daylilies:
    Devil's Riot
    Fall Fiesta
    Dangerous Mood
    Little Gypsy Vagabond
    Siloam New Toy

Sheri, I can't imagine anyone putting together a more impressive package representing Pinocchio. Thank you so much!

Still not feeling well today, but I have another doctor's appointiment tomorrow so we'll see how that goes. Like eveyone else, I hate being sick and that has been the case a lot for the past year and a half.

Have a good day!
    Jeanne

This post was edited by sandlapper_rose on Thu, Sep 18, 14 at 18:16

• EricaBraun
    9 years ago

Jeanne,

Holy moly! What a treasure you got there. I think Sheri has us all feeling a little sheepish about now. That is quite the box.

I do hope you get well soon. I know it's a terrible burden being sick.

• Pmb2005
    9 years ago

Jeanne - That is an amazing package from Sheri! Wowza!

Only need 5 more words and I'm set! Woohoo!

Promise

• bluee19
    9 years ago

HAPPY THURSDAY EVERYONE!

Erica ~ I received the package 2day, thank u so much 4 all the goodies :)

• Panhandle_Seed_Swap
    9 years ago

I'm glad you're enjoying the Pinocchio Package, Jeanne. It looks so good in your photo... thank you! It was FUN to do! I hope you feel better tonight.

Don't feel sheepish! I'm good at finding little bargains. :) I think most of it is Pinocchio cartoons that I printed-out. I wanted to include the Disney movie DVD, but I couldn't find one. I'm glad you like it Erica and Promise! Thank you!

Sheri

• bluee19
    9 years ago

Erica ~ sorry 4got to include the bookmark, it was stuck to the back of the Snow White storypages. Thank YOU again, love receiving packages in the mail.

This post was edited by bluee19 on Thu, Sep 18, 14 at 17:57

• brittneysgran
    9 years ago

Hi Remy---so nice to see your post..we will all miss sweet Carol's sense of humor and yes sometimes it did get her in trouble.

Jeanne-Thinking of you and hope you soon feel better each and everyday forthwith.

Nice boxes being received...Way to go ladies!!!!

I worked 10 hours today and so tired...so I'm off to bed soon. Night ladies

Shirley

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That Snow White and the 7 Dwarfs package looks perfect!
    Shirley, I hope you got a good night's rest.

Here are the Friday Bingo words and I think we now have someone with Bingo so please check your words. (Sure hope I got all of them on here. That's the worry I get by not posting the full list every day!)

3. Farmer
    7. Biologist

The full list:
    1. Beekeeper
    2. Landscape Architect
    3. Farmer
    4. Botanist
    6. Chemist
    7. Biologist
    9. Agronomist

1. Chef
    2. Plant Photographer
    3. University Professor
    4. Science Teacher
    5. Florist
      15, Environmental Scientist
    6. Plant Geneticist
    7. Conservationist
    8. Forester
    9. Microbiologist
    10. Entomologist
    11. Plant Health Inspector
    12. Mycologist
    13. Virologist

Packages Received:

Swap to be sent by Jeanne
    ** AliceâÂÂs Adventures in Wonderland chosen by Erica

Swap to be sent by Nicole
    ** Big Red Barn chosen by Sheri

Swap to be sent by Annie
    ** Charlie and the Chocolate Factory chosen by Mary

Swap to be sent by Margo
    **If You Give a Mouse a Cookie chosen by Susan

Swap to be sent by Shirley
    ** Jake Hatches a Plan chosen by NonnaG

Swap to be sent by Mary
    ** Linnea in MonetâÂÂs Garden chosen by Shirley

Swap to be sent by Susan
    ** Magic Locket chosen by by Jayeanne

Swap to be sent by Jayeanne
    ** Pinkalicious chosen by Margo

Swap to be sent by Sheri
    ** Pinocchio chosen by Jeanne RECEIVED

Swap to be sent by Erica
    ** Snow White and the 7 Dwarfs chosen by Nicole RECEIVED

Swap to be sent by NonnaG
    ** The Hungry Caterpiller chosen by Promise

Swap to be sent by Promise
    ** The Wizard of Oz chosen by Annie

Again, I hope I got everything right. Still not feeling well and have a doctor's appointment later today. Erica, I have continued to work on your swap. However, it may be Monday before I can mail it out. I have a wonderful quilt program to attend tomorrow. I've had the ticket for about 6 months now so well or not, I'll be there!

Jeanne

• canyonwind
    9 years ago

BINGO....Biologist just put me over the top!!

Loving these packages!!!!

Jeanne, be well....feel better!

I am planning on sending my package to Mary on Monday, possibly Tuesday. Late, I know.

Happy Friday!

Annie

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Congratulations on the Bingo win, Annie! That game seemed to last a long time.

If you need to mail your package a little late, I'm right along with you. I should be so embarrased. I think I can get it out on Monday though!

I'm going to a special program for Quilts of Valor tomorrow so I'm not sure I will get online much - likely to come home tired. Talk soon!

Jeanne

• smitties
    9 years ago

My package to Susan should have arrived by now. I checked the DC and of course, it can't be checked right now so I need to check again tomorrow.

So many creative packages here. Enjoy seeing what people have received.

Another beautiful day here today. I need to get out and do a final weeding tomorrow and then start putting away lawn ornaments and emptying pots that have pooped out.

Have a good weekend everyone. Margo

• Panhandle_Seed_Swap
    9 years ago

Annie! Congrats on the BINGO win!

Nicole sent me an email with the DC# for my Big Red Barn package. I should have it on Monday. Thank you, Nicole!

Sheri

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

Annie, congrats and take your time with the package. I'm not done with Shirley's Linnea in Monet's Garden either. I'll have some surprises for Shirley.

Erica, I was at the PO today, you moved up on my mail out list.

I'm watching the convoluted 100 package seed threads. I think Sheri has the right idea.

Mary E.

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

Not easy finding yarn in Monet colors to crochet a muskrat sweater.

Mary E.

• Panhandle_Seed_Swap
    9 years ago

Ha! Yea Mary, I'm always tempted to join all those swaps... but, after I thought about it, I decided the "Themed Garden" swap is plenty for me. Plus, I know the hostess is awesome. ;) Also excited for Annie's swap next month, too.

Sheri

• skyblue52
    9 years ago

hello got Margo`s package.am waiting to open.I sent out Jayeanne yesterday.Everybody enjoy the day S

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

Above, that is actually a thing on Etsy.

I like St Francis, and on Etsy there is a "felted hat, Saint Francis" amid all the junk. It's a full needle sculpted figure of St Francis reclining across the hat Not a wide brimmed gardening hat.

Mary E.

• NonnaG
    9 years ago

Hello all. I had a wonderful day at work. My little canine babies are always glad to see me. ( that is until it's time to brush their teeth ). I had a hairless cat today. It's really strange. When I first met her, I was afraid to touch her. I guess I thought my hair would fall out. Lol. She is very loving. She needed to snuggle in her towel for a little while. After work I made a mad dash to the post office to mail my package for Promise. And then it was home to play fetch with my little dog Dinky. All in all a lovely day. I hope you all had a wonderful day as well

Connie

• Pmb2005
    9 years ago

Funny story

In the mayhem of collecting seeds, drying seeds, packaging for swaps and the overall madness that happens in my house, I misplaced seeds. I specifically bought seeds for my Wizard of Oz swap with Canyonwind, Annie. There happen to be a pack of Hairyball seeds in with those seeds. So late last night, I was frantically searching the house looking for my hairyballs.

More importantly the other seeds for my swap. I was in tears because I didn't know what I would send in place of those seeds if I didn't find them!!! I had all but talked myself out of doing swaps on GW because my insane life and my house eating things.

Mentally I'm trying to retrace what I was doing the last time I seen my hairyballs. After a good 60 minutes of searching, I looked in my seed bucket, which I had dumped out and look through several times. Finally, I found my hairyballs,(and other seeds) inside my bag of lettuce seeds.

Hallelujah!

My heart was just jolted in terror that I lost those packs of seeds! I can laughing about it now. Especially when I think about the effort I put fourth to find my hairyballs.

My question to you ladies is,,,, how do you store and organize your seeds? That experience was awful! I don't want to lose my hairyballs again! lol

Annie - I will get your package out as soon as I can. I've had sick girls home 3 days last week, which has put me behind on what I wanted to get done. Please forgive me. I will send as soon as I can.

Promise

• EricaBraun
    9 years ago

Promise,

Scarey story! What did your hubby have to say about you losing your hairyballs? I'm sure you were happy to find them, though. I know I would have had a heart attack if I couldn't find my swap items.

• Panhandle_Seed_Swap
    9 years ago

Promise... I store my veggie seed packets in an alphebetized accordion file. For example, all my peas (snow peas, snap peas, sweet peas) are filed under "P". When I want to plant some peas, I take-out all my packets filed under "P" and decide what I what to plant.

Right now, all my flower seeds are in a one gallon ziploc baggie. I'm going to buy a separate alphabetized accordion file for them, eventually, and file them under their variety name. I think they cost a little over $7, if I remember correctly.

I don't worry about long-term storage, because I usually plant, trade or give them away before they are 3 years old.

I hope that helps a little. :)

Sheri

• canyonwind
    9 years ago

OH Promise, I am so happy that you found your HAIRYBALLS! and the other seeds!!! I to have been in that "ugly scenerio" of where I can not locate seeds ect..ect...ect...they were their and then they are gone. I get very pissed off!!
    Send out whenever it is convenient for you!! No rush...

Mary, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is almost packed up...just for you. I think I will take it to PO tomorrow (Monday) night. Priority...it should reach you...hopefully, on Thursday.

I hope all of you are well! Happy Evening and happy Monday.

Annie

• pinkiris
    9 years ago

Happy Monday!

Margo - Your "Pinkalicious" Storybook goodies are on the way! Mailed this morning for you - I have tracking if needed. Hope you enjoy everything!

Jayeanne

• Panhandle_Seed_Swap
    9 years ago

WOW! Look at this fun, generous Big Red Barn package I got, today, from Nicole/bluee19! Thank you so much, Nicole!

Big Red Barn Book!

19 packs of seeds! Wow! So generous!!! Love them!

Mini Vellum Envelopes for seeds. I just LOVE things like this... so awesome.

Rooster potholders.

Fall/Thanksgiving kitchen towel.

Americana jigsaw puzzle.

Red barn theme magnets as well as some foam animals for crafts.

Chicken card for someone's birthday.

Awesome pack of barnyard stickers. I love stickers!

A Thanksgiving banner/flag with a hanger.

Every thing was individually wrapped in pretty paper. It was like being a kid again. Thank you, Nicole!!!

This post was edited by Panhandle_Seed_Swap on Mon, Nov 24, 14 at 6:05

• Panhandle_Seed_Swap
    9 years ago

Nicole, I forgot to a sky you what are these pretty foam decorations used for! Thank you!

Sheri

• bluee19
    9 years ago

The flower stickers go on top of the vase and u can glue a picture where the hole is. Attach is the example. Hoping you r having a GREAT FUNDAY MONDAY!!

• Pmb2005
    9 years ago

Nonna,

The package you sent hasn't arrived yet. I suspect it will be here today.

Promise

• Panhandle_Seed_Swap
    9 years ago

Fun! Thank you, Nicole!

• canyonwind
    9 years ago

Mary, my visit to the PO last night did not work out as planned. The machine was broken.....lots of ticked off folks in the old PO last night! It will hit the PO this afternoon.....
    I will post tracking info tonight/or tomorrow morning!

Jeanne, I am hosting OBF October. Do you mind if I post...maybe Saturday Sept 27? I am headed out of town on Sunday. Your lovely month of September will not be over....don't want to step on anyones toes....LOL!

Happy Tuesday!

Annie

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Super swap packages! I love the Big Red Barn.

Annie, that is fine for you to post before the end of the month. You are always so creative with the swaps you are hostess for - can't wait to see what it will be.

Many of my seeds get stored in those decorative boxes (shoe box sized) that are intended for storing photos. I add alphabetical dividers and then place my seed packets in clear baggies behind the letter that it goes under (for example marigold, morning glories, etc. all in a zip lock bag together after the divider for M. I also have a big shopping bag with others - this is where my tin storage container with my tomato seeds and seeds I am planning to plant soon, etc. go. (Of course with those that are set aside to get planted soon - it doesn't always happen!)

Here's where we are at with the swap:

Swap to be sent by Jeanne SENT
    ** AliceâÂÂs Adventures in Wonderland chosen by Erica

Swap to be sent by Nicole RECEIVED BY SHERI
    ** Big Red Barn chosen by Sheri

Swap to be sent by Annie SENT
    ** Charlie and the Chocolate Factory chosen by Mary

Swap to be sent by Margo
    **If You Give a Mouse a Cookie chosen by Susan

Swap to be sent by Shirley
    ** Jake Hatches a Plan chosen by NonnaG

Swap to be sent by Mary
    ** Linnea in MonetâÂÂs Garden chosen by Shirley

Swap to be sent by Susan
    ** Magic Locket chosen by by Jayeanne

Swap to be sent by Jayeanne - SENT
    ** Pinkalicious chosen by Margo

Swap to be sent by Sheri RECEIVED BY JEANNE
    ** Pinocchio chosen by Jeanne

Swap to be sent by Erica RECEIVED BY NICOLE
    ** Snow White and the 7 Dwarfs chosen by Nicole

Swap to be sent by NonnaG SENT
    ** The Hungry Caterpiller chosen by Promise

Swap to be sent by Promise
    ** The Wizard of Oz chosen by Annie

I hope that's right. If not, just correct me. I'm so glad everyone is enjoying this theme and it's so interesting to see what has been sent!

Jeanne

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

Annie, it is not a problem at all.... I will feel better if I have Shirley's ready to mail, before mine shows up. I'm tweaking it for time spent off her feet.

Erica, I sent you my address with the right zip code. Your little Nightshades are coming along well. Sioux tomato seeds ready but Lemon Peppers still out there coloring up.

Jayeanne, I didn't forget your tomato seeds, you are moving up the list. Email me your address.

Promise, hugs to you, just cuz.

Jeanne, thanks for hosting this fun, fun swap. I could do this one every month, bibliophile here.

All my OBF friends (and FOTESS) I recommend you read Linnea in Monet's Garden and the first two books in the series. If you never read them or haven't in a long time.

Mary E.

• EricaBraun
    9 years ago

Mary,

Thanks for the address verification. I put the pack back out in the mail today, so hopefully you should get it in a few days!!