Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dan_the_mailman

2013 Seeds-n-Stitches, Input Needed

dan_the_mailman
11 years ago

Okay kids, gather 'round whilst I tell you what Linda and I have come up with.

Within the s-n-s group, we've learned a lot over the years, and this year, 2012, we've put a lot of it together and had a lot of fun along the way. Well, in 2013, we thought we'd put it all together and make ourselves a city quilt by years end.

Each month we'll make 2 15"x15" blocks, one to keep, and one to trade. (Yes, I said 15"x15", not our usual 12"x12".) By the end of the year, anyone who has participated in all of the swaps will have 24 blocks, enough to make a quilt approximately 65"x95", 4 blocks wide and 6 blocks long. I say approximately because some people may want to include sashing in their quilts.

We won't just be making 24 house blocks. Instead, we'll make various types of buildings, and also include a park, a garden, maybe even a pond, all of which may or may not be found in a village.

Now this is where we need YOUR input. What would you like to see in your village? Let's get ourselves a list of what we want in our village so we'll know where we are headed.

Once we've decided what type of block to make each month, we'll be asking for volunteers to host each month. As a host, you can provide us all with more direction about how to make our blocks. Maybe suggest we use a certain color, or type of house, perhaps provide 2 or 3 choices of patterns for us all to use.

As always, people will be more than welcome to come and go. This is NOT a year-long commitment. We will simply have ourselves a direction to go, and if someone should decide to come along for the ride occasionally or partway, that'll be just fine. They'll be expected to follow the guidelines we set as a group, and as individual hosts, and hopefully we'll all have fun and do some learning along the way until we reach our goal, a village quilt which we've made with the help of our friends.

So, what would you like to see put into your village quilt? Houses, shops, a town hall perhaps? Maybe an apartment building? What do you think?

Dan

Comments (25)

• gmom2-6boys
    11 years ago

I like this idea and we have to have a quilt shop, park with lots of flowers, maybe in a back corner a farm. I have been wanting to do this for some time.
    Great thinking
    Sharon
    gmom

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sharon, I like your ideas, and of course there needs to be a quilt shop! Lol, Linda and I thought there should be a business or two. I couldn't think of any, but Linda suggested a bakery, which I liked also. I'd like to have some apartment buildings in the quilt, perhaps maybe two in the same block and put that block at the top so it looks farther away. And maybe have another block with two houses to go beside it, again looking further away from the front.

There are so many types of buildings we could put into our quilt. Something I just thought of is that we could make businesses one month, sending one specific type to our partners, and making another type for ourselves, such as sending the quilt shop block to one another and keeping our bakery block for ourselves. The possibilities are endless.

Here's a list of things we could put into our village...
    bakery
    garden/farm
    park
    houses
    quilt shop
    apartments

Come on people, I know you're creative, help us make our village...

Dan

• lindaruzicka
    11 years ago

what about a pet shop? A flower shop? a daycare? a tea/coffe shop ..just throwing some things out..and was anyone surprised I suggested a bakery?...LOL!

• sjc48
    11 years ago

Just lurking, hope no one minds, how about a post office and a winery?
    Shirley!

• aquadragonfly
    11 years ago

I was lurking too, I also went window shopping for a sewing machine :) (kind of good at both those)

I believe since this is a swap group and for seeds and stitches it only stands to reason you would defiantly do a flower shop and a post office block :) Kind of goes hand in hand I think, that t would also kind of need the quilt shop too since this is all conducive of this particular group (hey look I used BIG words hehe)

I like the idea of a garden/farm one too, that just sounds so homey/country/swappers kind of thing....

AND of course we know Linda would need the barkery and tea/coffee shop, it just wouldn't be Linda without those :) (wink lady you know I love yah!)

Ok, sorry I was a speaking lurker, :)
    :) Aqua

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hehehe, this is so cool! I love all the ideas we're getting! I can see making this a reversible quilt, using all these great ideas on both sides, can't you? Maybe make one side urban, and the other rural...lol!

I'm going to host the January swap to get this started, and I've already got an idea of what to do. We'll make houses in January, and call the swap "January Jack". We'll make our houses and decorate/embellish the blocks with some sort of "Jack" theme. Some options will be Jack and the Beanstalk, Jack and Jill, Jack-in-the-Box, & Jack of all Trades. Using those themes, everyone will pick one and incorporate it somehow into their house block, making two of course, one to keep and one to swap.

It would probably be a good idea to alternate months we make houses with the months we make something else. When we get closer to 2013 we'll post a sign-up thread for hosts for the first 6 months, with me leading off with the January swap.

For all of you who haven't played with us before, or just once in awhile, please think about joining our group during one, two, three, or all, of our swaps! The more the merrier, and the food and wine is free!

KEEP THOSE IDEAS COMING, WE'LL BE NEEDING THEM!

Dan

• lindaruzicka
    11 years ago

and we love lurkers that speak, Miss Aqua!..LOL!!

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

Dan, You're making this difficult for me........

SharonG/FL-IN

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    11 years ago

how so?

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

Making me want to commit....at least to January, but I'm holding off........at least until I get one made.

SharonG/FL-IN

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    11 years ago

that's too funny! but, just as a reminder, you don't have to commit to the whole year...lol! as if you wouldn't, right? look at this way, you've found something you want to do, it'll be a lot of fun, AND you'll get good results!
    you know I'm laughing right now, right? -dan

• lindaruzicka
    11 years ago

AND... we serve: tea, coffee and homemade cookies.."waving cookie under Sharon's nose"

• hazelnutbunny
    11 years ago

Love this idea! Maybe we could do a block that represents something from our city? Like, the town where I live was founded by Italians, so we have a heavy vineyard population and our own winery- owned by one of the founding families.
    Just a thought! :)

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    11 years ago

I like your idea, bunny. My town is known for swimming with the Manatees.

Homemade cookies are the best.....snickerdoodles to be exact. heehee

SharonG/FL

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    11 years ago

you two are making me hungry

• gmom2-6boys
    11 years ago

I see my town with a small house just outside of town with tree lined streets with sidewalks and a little house with a white picket fence.

Keep this going. It's getting good.

gmom

• hazelnutbunny
    11 years ago

We could also do themes around the months- do the scenes as they would look in the month that we're doing them. Like, in Autumn or September, Gmom's tree lined streets might be covered in leaves with multi-colored leaves on the trees, pumpkins on the doorsteps..etc...
    And in Winter or December, it might be snow covered streets with bare trees, Xmas lights on the houses and cardinals in the yard.

If we were doing a storefront, they could have seasonal displays in the windows.

OR...take this further, and do a different "Park" scene every 3 months, and have one for each season- winter, spring, summer & fall. Then we could just fill in with the stores, houses, and other scenes.

• lindaruzicka
    11 years ago

this is getting good!

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lol, I love to see all this enthusiasm!

• gmom2-6boys
    11 years ago

You would not believe what I found in my Quilt magazines tonight. This is a Miniature Quilt Ideas book from 2002. It list a Honeymoon Cottage, Silo barn, Salt box house, Church, Town house, Train depot, and a Quilt shop. This is so cool. I'm so excited. I don't want to wish my time away but January needs to get here.
    Yes, I'm leaving any day, now. Just waiting for the bills to get here to be paid.
    Trying to get my garden put down for winter because most of the veggies are done or died. I still have carrots, turnips, beets, and tomatoes. I'm hoping a neighbor will come and take tomatoes while I'm gone. They won't be ready for canning before I leave.
    Have a good evening.
    gmom

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That sounds like quite the find!
    I'm with you, I want to get started on this quilt and see where it goes for each of us! But first, September 13th-16th needs to get here, then go by realllllllly slow. I want to make my birthday last! Lol!

• aquadragonfly
    11 years ago

Did this DIE and fall by the way side? I was excited about all the ideas, I have even started looking a fabrics and thinking HMMM, I could do THIS with THIS piece and that with that and make this with that an add this here and make this to send to (someone) and then that could go on that and make this and well you get the idea, I was ALL exited thinking about what I could turn a piece into and the ideas just stopped flowing....

Can we resurrect this thread and get the ideas going again?
    (Not an official member......................................................YET)
    :) Aqua

• aquadragonfly
    11 years ago

^I was ALL excited thinking:

WOW how did the c jump out of that word?

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Aqua, just by posting, you've "become" a member...lol! Don't worry, this will all happen in 2013, and we'll have plenty more ideas as the months go by. We never seem to run out of those... I wonder why? It's good to know that you're already thinking about what fabrics to use, that's VERY encouraging to me!

-Dan

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I just posted the October swap, in which we'll be making haunted house blocks. We'll be making 15" blocks and I'm hoping enough people will join in so we can iron out some bugs (or spiders)(if any) before we begin in January. I hope you'll all think about joining!
    Dan

Here is a link that might be useful: haunted house swap