Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mogardening

Big Ole Fall Flower Swap!!!!!

mogardening
17 years ago

Big Ole Fall Flower Swap

How about a flower swap? I have finished part of my fall harvesting and have some free time. LetÂs Swap! I want to keep this really simple for all of us.

1. To join the fun, post a message HERE, in this forum. I will email you with my address.

2. Please send the following info with your seeds. At the top of the list you will send with your seeds, please print your name, address and gardenweb name.

3. Include a list of all the seeds you are sending. No more than 3 packs of the same kind. But send any number of packs from 1 on up.

4. If you would like to include "bonus" packs for your fellow swappers, please write "Bonus" on them.

5. Include another list with your flower wants. # 1 being the flower you want the most and so on. Your list of wants may equal the number of seeds packs you sent. I will work down each want list and try to give everyone as many of their requests as possible. If you would like to be totally surprised, you can skip the want list.

6. Include a SASBE (self-addressed stamped bubble envelope) with postage equal to the amount needed to send your seeds. If you would like to send an extra stamp, just in case(bonus packs), I will use it if necessary or return it if not needed. Postage costs are 52 cents to mail a SASBE up to 1 ounce. 2 ounces-63 cents. 3 ounces-87 cents. I will stop there, 3 ounces really is a lot of flower seed!

7. I will post to this forum when I receive your package of seeds in the mail.

8. Seeds should be mailed no later than September 30, 2006. As soon as all the seeds are in, allow me about a week to get it all sorted. I will post to this forum when the packages are sent.

If you have not tried a swap before, give it a try! It is so great to open your package and see all those lovely new flowers to grow!! I hope to hear from you.

Kate

Comments (140)

• mogardening
    Original Author
    17 years ago

prairiewinds

Your seeds for the swap are here!!

Thank you,
    Kate

• mogardening
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I will be out of town for a few days, there is an illness in my family. I will post all new seed arrivals as soon as I return.
    Thank you,
    Kate

• drippy
    17 years ago

Kate, our thoughts go with you - you've been a very organized and thoughtful hostess - hope everything works out for you.

• daisydo
    17 years ago

Just got back from the post office. My seeds are on their way!
    Daisydo

• tracey_nj6
    17 years ago

Hi Kate,
    Braindead Tracey here; I'm mailing my seeds out tomorrow morning. I swear, if the braincells still worked, I'd be in hog heaven. Sorry for the delay, but at least I'm in before the deadline!!!!!!
    Tracey (tracey_nj6)

• limequilla
    17 years ago

Kate,

I mailed mine out Monday the 25th..maybe you'll get them tomorrow.

Thanks for hostessing,
    Lime

• sguanzon
    17 years ago

Hi Kate,

Mine are going out today. Sorry for the delay. Will you be there to receive them and does this swap still have a deadline of 9/30?

• mogardening
    Original Author
    17 years ago

limequilla

Your seeds for the swap are here!

Thank you,
    Kate

• mogardening
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hello,

Well the "end date" for sending your seeds is nearly here. I'm going to list the swappers I haven't heard from yet. If your gardenweb name is listed below, please let me know if you will be able to send your seeds by September 30.

sewnmom7
    stormyheaven
    sandy_s
    ladybug37091
    spartangardener
    lisam627_ohio_z6
    stage_rat
    txcottagegarden
    zabecc
    taterbug
    badzoe
    gardenluv
    threeshyacres
    pastvast

I am waiting for seed arrivals from:
    tracy_nj6, daisydo, squanzon

There is still time to ship your seeds for the swap!!
    If I've made any errors in the listings, please post here or email......I'm pretty tired tonight so anything is possible.I can't wait to start sorting!!!
    Thank you all,
    Kate

• mogardening
    Original Author
    17 years ago

jeanie74

Thank you,
    Kate

• mogardening
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I have packages from 24 swappers so far and at least 3 more on the way.
    Kate

• threeshyacres
    17 years ago

Hi Kate and everyone,

My seed package is going out today or tomorrow. I've got it all sealed up with 53 different types of seeds in there. What fun! Thanks for hosting this swap.

Sincerely,
    Jodi
    'ThreeShyAcres'
    : )

• zabecc
    17 years ago

Kate-
    Mine were mailed today... please let me know when you get them, thanks!!!
    Elizabeth (zabecc)

• stage_rat
    17 years ago

Mine just got mailed! I can't wait to see what comes back.

• badzoe
    17 years ago

I mailed my package out today as well. I'm excited!

Thanks Kate.

Kristi

• mogardening
    Original Author
    17 years ago

lisam627_oh_z6

taterbug

Thank you!
    Kate

• mogardening
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Okay, today I emailed 8 swappers that I haven't heard from to see if they would still like to join in.
    And I am anxiously waiting for 7 more packages to arrive from swappers who emailed or posted when their packages were shipped.
    Kate

• mogardening
    Original Author
    17 years ago

pastvast,

Thank you,
    Kate

• daisydo
    17 years ago

I'm getting nervous, I mailed mine on the 25th, they should be there by now!!
    Daisydo

• limequilla
    17 years ago

Meanwhile, Kate, while you're waiting on the last ones, tell us what people sent -- not itemized, but did anything strike you as different, interesting or worthy of a mention? How they sent them, who made homemade seed envelopes, how many people are in, I don't know -- describe it to us. What does your dining room table look like? Does your mailman wonder what's going on? LOL! My mailman would be hanging over my shoulder when I open seed or bulbs packages, if I let him.
    I'm very curious....my place is a MESS and that's just with my little old seed drying/cleaning. I can't imagine what it would be if 40 people sent me 100 packs of seeds!

Lime

• drippy
    17 years ago

Daisydo, my seeds took more than a week to get to Kate - way longer than I thought they should have - but they did get there. Don't give up hope!

• mogardening
    Original Author
    17 years ago

sandy_s

Thank you,
    Kate

• mogardening
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh limequilla, you're funny!I have the same mess of trays with drying seeds and they seem to be never ending. I just gathered some butterflyweed yesterday so that has been added to the growing number of paper plates hanging around my house.I'll have to let you know later about interesting seeds,mainly because I'll have to look up the ones I don't know, but it is a great variety. I have been impressed with how well orgainzed everyones packages have been,that makes my job much easier. And some do make the cutest seed packets. Very pretty paper and cute designs. A few packet look like some type of origami fold, no tape or glue but still a very solid little envelope.I have been trying to keep all this very organized. As the packages come in, I've made copies of everyones "sent" and "want" lists. So I've been doing all the presorting on paper, trying to fill as many wants as possible.I'm hoping this will make the actual sorting much faster.So everyones packages are neatly stacked in a box right now. I'm hoping this will avoid my biggest fear, sending someone back their own seeds...lol...that thought gives me nightmares! Oh, and the bonus seeds........there are some very very generous people in this swap! One swapper sent a ton of extra seeds and only wants a few packages back, plus sent extra stamps for the other swappers packages if needed. Another sent presorted packages for some of swappers. She looked at the online want lists of those who had joined and tried to match as many wants as possible.Many other swappers included bonus seeds also.So many kind and generous folks here!
    Kate

• mogardening
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Okay, I haven't heard from:

sewnmom7
    stormyheaven
    ladybug37091
    spartangardener
    txcottagegarden
    gardenluv

Packages still to arrive from:

tracy_nj6
    daisydo
    squanzon
    stage_rat
    zabecc
    badzoe
    threeshyacres

And don't worry, I'll wait for all the packages to arrive, I won't leave anyone out.
    Thanks, Kate

• mogardening
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I've received seeds from 28 swappers so far and 7 more have been mailed. Looks like we'll have a grand total of 35 swappers!Wow!

• mogardening
    Original Author
    17 years ago

tracy_nj6

Thank you,
    Kate

• mogardening
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sounds like I'm waiting for 6 more packages to arrive.

• mogardening
    Original Author
    17 years ago

zabecc,

Thank you,
    Kate

• sguanzon
    17 years ago

Mine went out later than expected but is definitely on it's way you should receive it this week for sure!

• zabecc
    17 years ago

YAY, I'm glad that they made it safely :D

• mogardening
    Original Author
    17 years ago

threeshyacres

badzoe

stage_rat

• mogardening
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I think I'm just waiting on 2 more packages. 2 for sure and maybe one other,she hasn't emailed me back so maybe next time. But the sorting will start soon!!
    This has all gotten too big for my little list compare idea. It worked great when I only had about 12 here but not with 35! One swapper mentioned "spreadsheet"....so with the help of my husband, that's what I'm doing. I have all the seeds sent entered (except for the ones that arrived today, I will do them tonight)to the spreadsheet and it is wonderful!! Much easier to see what is here and who wants what. I'm going to try and give everyone as many of their wants as possible. The swappers with the more common things will probably, in some cases, get all their wants but the swappers with "rarer" items, you will at least get some of them filled. So far I have found at least 2 or 3 wants for everybody....I hope no one will be disappointed....I'm getting nervous!!! But also it is so much fun!I'll keep you all informed!
    Thanks,
    Kate

• daisydo
    17 years ago

I see my seeds still haven't arrived. It's been over a week. I'm a retired postal worker and worked where the flats are sorted, so I know sometimes they take a little longer to be processed, but it is getting a little ridiculous. I don't want to hold up the seeds as I know everyone is excited about getting theirs. Kate is so wonderful to host this for us and I know she wants to wrap it up soon, so if my doesn't get there by the time all others do, just go ahead and do the swap. I would think if for some reason they aren't delivered they will come back to me by return address. Here's hoping they will be there tomorrow!

• zabecc
    17 years ago

kate-
    That's so frustrating about daisydo's lost seeds... I've had my seeds to people get lost in the mail numerous times! If her seeds don't arrive to you on time, please send her some of the seeds you would have sent back to me... I'd be more than willing to share, and don't want her to go without just cause they got lost in the mail (it happens to the best of us I suppose.) Thank you again for all your hard work, and don't fret about what you're sending people, we'll all be thrilled with the variety I'm sure!!!
    -Elizabeth (zabecc)

• mogardening
    Original Author
    17 years ago

daisydo,

I'm not ready to write you off yet. I'm still waiting for another package plus, it will take me about a week to sort the seeds. We still have plenty of time.
    Zabecc, you are very kind. If indeed, it is lost forever, there are plenty of seeds to go around and I'm sure we can come up with and package for daisydo. But all this will be moot tomorrow, because it will be in my mailbox!!!!
    Kate

• butter_fly
    17 years ago

So anyone feel like listing what they sent?

• drippy
    17 years ago

Butter_fly, half the fun is in the surprise!

• daisydo
    17 years ago

mogardening thank you so much! I think you will get it today too!!!
    Daisydo

• mogardening
    Original Author
    17 years ago

No seed arrivals today but I have high hopes for tomorrow!
    Kate

• stage_rat
    17 years ago

I was so paranoid that my package would get sent pack for some reason. I'm glad it made it, and I think we should wait a little for daisydo's, if we have to. I'm so excited to see what seeds I'll get, but I don't want her to be left out! Mogardening, I think it's great that you're going to try to match us up with our wants, and I'm sure everyone will be happy. Just getting a couple from my list would be great. Thanks so much for going to all this trouble!

I actually thought I'd have my seeds in the mail early--good thing I started early, since it took so long to make up labels and prepare/clean some of the seed. For anyone getting seeds from me, I put a little rice in some bags to absorb any moisture since I had just harvested the seed. I didn't freeze them to kill bugs for the same reason--so be sure to do that when the seeds are super-dry!

• butter_fly
    17 years ago

Oh come on drippy just a little preview won't hurt anyone. it is like sneekin a peek at your christmas presents when you where a kid ( okay or adult..shhhh) ;0)

• mogardening
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Okay, so they didn't arrive today.....but I'm still hopeful!

daisydo and squanzon,

I don't know if this is possible but if it is, could you email me the list of seeds you sent? If I have those, I can include you both in the sorting.If your want list has changed from the one on GW, then you can email that info too.
    Thank you,
    Kate

• sguanzon
    17 years ago

Did mine arrive today Kate?

• mogardening
    Original Author
    17 years ago

sguanzon

Your seeds for the swap arrived on Saturday.

Thank you,
    Kate(mogardening)

• mogardening
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Okay, daisydo has emailed her sent seeds list and I'm sure her seeds will arrive any day now so I'm going to start sorting. I've already "presorted" many on paper and I think this will make it go faster. I'm going to try and have all the packages ready within a week, I hope.....I will post here when they are ready to be mailed. Soon everyone will have a wonderful surprize in their mailbox!!!!
    Thank you all for joining in!!
    Kate

• Julie
    17 years ago

I am soooo excited! This is such good news!

Julie

• pastvast
    17 years ago

butter_fly... if you're that curious, you could check out the trade lists of everyone who participated. That might give you some clues for what people sent. =)

Hopefully the suspense doesn't kill ya ;->

-Stephanie

• butter_fly
    17 years ago

Oh I have already been there and made myself stop after just a few. Everyone had such good stuff, I was as excited as a kid in a candy store!!!

• drippy
    17 years ago

Kate, this thread looks like it might meet the maximum number of posts soon. May I suggest that when you get things sorted and start sending out seeds, that you start an "Update" thread? That way, we can post there when we have received the seeds.

Seed swaps are a ton of fun, and I thank you for doing this.

• mogardening
    Original Author
    17 years ago

daisydo,

Your seeds are here!!!! Oh happy day!!!

drippy has a good suggestion, I'll start another thread for the swap before we reach our max.

Thanks,
    Kate

Sponsored
Craftsman Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Home Builder 3x Best of Houzz Award Winner