Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tracyvine

UPDATE: Petal Pushers: August Cookbook Swap

tracyvine
15 years ago

This swap will be for good standing members to share from their kitchen to yours. Everything goes as far as I'm concerned

Anything goes.... as you can send cookbooks, cooking magazines, recipe cards, your favorite kitchen gadgets, we all love those! Well I do. lol

your favorite grilling receipes, tools! lol Anything, I haven't thought of and you want to send. Canning you've put up, preserves, etc. I would be honored to try something one of you girls have put up, though, you may have to send me more! lol Just keep it as simple as you want, if you'd like to include any plants that should be discussed between you and your partner.

If so, it would be nice if it was a food related name just to add to the fun of it. But thats entirely up to partners. Just try to get a 'feel' of what you're expecting from each other, I don't like saying that, because until lately we've not had a problem with that. I'm just saying, send what you'd be happy getting.

First Game: Whoever gets the most votes for the best and easiest receipe gets something you'll really love from me! I'll decide later exactly what. lol but it will be good! Keep posting those recipes and keep trying them and don't forget to vote!

The partners were chosen based on the emails that you sent Sassy specifying your wishes to receive plant or not. We tried our darndest! lol! Anyway, please get in contact with each other and exchange addresses. Post a DC# once your box is on the way and remember new members are asked to send their box out first.

Partners List:

Shirley (Plants OK) + Dee (Edsaldee)

Dan (not receiving plants but will send them) + NCgardengirl (can't send plants but can receive them)

Annie (Plants OK) + Margaret 2007

Mariann (Plants OK) + DebbyA (Plants OK)

BethB (Can't receive or send Plants) + Vic

Pixie (Plants OK) + Karen (Plants OK)

Becki (Can't receive or send Plants) + Pat6 (Can't receive or send Plants)

SassyD (Can't send plant but can receive) + Tracy

Comments (52)

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Ok, the above post is for SASSYD...I thought when I said tracyvine that wasn't right and then I read the OTHER post for PP AUG CB posting and read that tracyvine was posting for sassy...that was my DUH moment...It has been too hot lately and my brain is overheated, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!!!

Have a GREAT WEEKEND EVERYBODY!!!

:) Fran

• pixiesluvplants
    15 years ago

WHOOHOOO Partners look great Sassers!!!

I really need to update my trade list but sheesh don't feel like doing the work yet lol. We still haven't gotten any rain but thank goodness for waterhoses eh??

Karen, I am excited that I have you as a partner sent ya an email girlie girl.

smiles,
    Pixie

• tracyvine
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Fran, I am laughing my bum off. Glad you like your partner. Hopefully Sassers will be able to post soon. This silly site is giving her trouble. Hope it gets fixed quickly.

• pixiesluvplants
    15 years ago

Ducky are you in my brain again??? I was laughing at Frans comments too. Thank goodness I am not the only confused one around lol (playing Fran)

I was having troubles with GW a couple days ago maybe Sassers and my computers are connected somehow eh???

Sheesh it seems like I haven't been around in forever so its like I have to meet everyone all over again lol! Its extremely hot here, suppoed to get down to the cool 86 tonight whooohooo! I honestly don't think that it would be so bad if it weren't for the silly humidity!

• tracyvine
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey there Pixie lady! Woo, better get a sweater out, don't want you to freeze with those low temps! (grin) Ah, I love the humidity, makes my hair go straight, limp, look like something the dog dragged in. Maybe that is why they call this the dog days of summer? :o)

Quack!:o)

• pixiesluvplants
    15 years ago

lmao even my doggies are looking like something something dragged in lmao. I actually was thinking about sleeping on the floating lounge in the pool but then figured I'd prolly waked up drowning lol or being the smorgassboard for the skeeters!!!!

whats really sad is that even showering in a cold shower doesn't help cause as soon as ya get out and step outside ya feel grungie and nasty again sheesh lol. BUT>>>>> I am in NO WAY ready for winter!!!

• tracyvine
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Not ready for winter either, the humidity is slowing me down though. Haven't moved any more of the shade garden around lately and stopped working on the rock garden additions either. I've turned into a bum, just watering and planting. Sigh...That pool is sounding pretty good to me. I think I might risk it and sleep out there.

• pixiesluvplants
    15 years ago

lol I would but the way my luck goes a skeeter would puncture one of the things that keeps the lounge afloat! lol.

Ihave started several different types of seeds in WS pots for my Fall garden lol and also just in the ground. Tried to move some of my plants but put them into shock with this heat. I did move my Shu Pepper (beautiful beautiful beautiful) into a pot for my front porch. It really looks good in the pot also. That is one pepper that I really like! I am going to weed my front south bed tomorrow morning and see exactly what I have over there. My lemon balm is going like crazy, guess it likes this heat lol.

I am seriously thinking about moving my Love Garden, well at least alot of the plants and shrubs I have in there, alot of them just aren't happy there it seems. I will have to take a picture of my gardens now that they are established and some are dead lol (veggie garden)

• beth_b_kodiak
    15 years ago

It is Kool to be paired up with another gardener from the "Rocky MT States.
    I'd love to have some nice dry but smelly sage tucked into my package. It's one of my favorite things about MT. My friend in WY sends me sage sometimes and I love the stuff
    Pixie and Tracy, you gals can have the humidity if you want it. What they call the "monsoon season" has started here. That means occasional afternoon thunder storms that bring our usual teens range humidity up into the 40 to 50 % range.
    I complain, I whine, and folks look at me like I'm crazy. If I say, "there's no place like home" I'm not talking about Kansas but about Alaska.
    Vic, we'll have to trade addresses. Are you at an altitude that requires recipe adaptations?????
    Beth

• dan_the_mailman
    15 years ago

Hey there Fran! You make me sound like quite the catch! Thank you! I just hope I can live up to your expectations!
    I'm sending you an e-mail with my addy and likes and dislikes. Hmmm, now that I think about it, I don't know that I have any dislikes! If it's food or plant related, pretty much anything goes I suppose! Does that make me easy? Well, if so, that's okay. I've always said "I may be fast and easy, but I'm not cheap!" rofl!

• tracyvine
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Beth, the humidity is so evil. I didn't know what real humidity was until I visited Florida in June one year. I opened up the patio door to our hotel room, left it open for some fresh air, came back around 20 minutes later and all the living room furniture and carpet were soaked! Blech!

Trina, you have me giggling at the Texas size skeeters that can puncture pool floats! Those things have got to be huge. lol! A friend of mine game me some lemon thyme, a teeny tiny snip_it of it last fall. It has taken off and gone crazy in the shade garden. It's been a lot of fun getting that stuff under control.

• raggedyann161420
    15 years ago

Good, I get to send to someone from Iowa; yes! a great place to live. Margaret I'm anxious to find out what part you are from. I'm a transplant from there and miss it. Although I don't really live that far. Please send me your addy, to raggedyann161420@yahoo.com

Pixie, good to see you too, and how are your boys? Shelby has hit the six year mark being in remission and they are going to celebrate in Puerto Vallarta.

Beth! are you enjoying your time traveling this year?

Tracy, Sis has to have a complete new roof, privacy fence, pool, and back porch. I think they are to start next week sometime, and while they are waiting of course they pray for no rain because there is a big tarp over the house.

All the recipes sound so delicious, I've copied,pasted and moved them to my thumb drive, just in case.

Does anyone grow garlic? If so and you find yourself with an overabundance you can peel the cloves, cover it all with olive oil and refrigerate in a tight-covered jar. The garlic will lasts for months and the oil is great for cooking.

The weather is killing me! I told DH I will be glad when this heat wave leaves.

I will start a game after while. I have a few hosta with food names and they are big enough to share.I just have to come up with so

• raggedyann161420
    15 years ago

GW cut off the rest of my post. Anyway, I have to come up with some kind of game.

I'm so glad to be home, and off to think of something for a game.

LIFE IS GOOD,
    Annie

• pixiesluvplants
    15 years ago

Beth, I DON'T want the humidity lol we have it here! If the humidity gets to 50% we call that DRY! lol. I'll take the monsoon season though!!! Even though we are in an extreme drought the humidity stays around 75+%. I am sooo wanting to go visit Alaska, fox has been several times with work and just to visit family.

Annie, the boys are doing great, thank you for asking. Alan turned 20 last Weds. Sheesh they grow fast! Nan is engaged to a wonderfully sweet girl and they are trying to set a date for next year sometime. I am soo happy for Shelby, that is great news. I hope they have a great time in Puerto Vallarta! I LOVE garlic oil and although I don't grow it big time I usually have garlic with olive oil in the fridge. I also love Roasted Garlic spread and have to make that alot. Take whole garlic heads and cut the skin off halfway between top and bottom, put the whole garlic in a pan with 1 Tbl spoon of Olive Oil in the bottom, pour 1 cup of OO over the garlic heads and sprinkle with salt and pepper, bake uncovered @ 200 degrees for 15 minutes. Cover the pan with foil and bake for 1 to 1.5 hours or until garlic is tender. Mash garlic while still warm and use on whatever you like. VERY YUMMY and not strong at all!

OK now off to outside for awhile to ummm hmmm enjoy the heat??? lol nah to play in the pool!

Smiles,
    Pixie

• tracyvine
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here is a recipe that I am bringing to a family party today. It serves a big group. Perfect for the holidays or get togethers.

Loaded Potato Skin Casserole:

5 lbs Redskin Potatoes
    2 C Sour Cream
    2 C Ranch Dressing
    1/4 C Chopped Chives
    1/2 C Cooked and chopped Bacon
    2 C Shredded Cheddar Cheese
    Salt
    Pepper

Quarter the pototoes with skins on and cook them in boiling water until slightly softened when pricked with a fork. Drain and let cool until they are still warm but not piping hot.

Cook bacon until crisp and brown. Then chop to a coarse crumb texture.

In a large bowl combine Sour Cream, Ranch Dressing, Cheddar Cheese, and Bacon reserving a small amount of Chives and Bacon for garnish. Salt and Pepper as much or as little as you like. Combine the mixture with the cooled Potatoes and place in a 9" x 13" baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for about an hour. Garnish with reserved Bacon and Chives.

I cook my bacon in the oven at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes on an aluminum foil lined cookie sheet. There is no splatter on the stove top and the bacon cooks perfectly on both sides, no turning and easy clean up!

Tracy

• raggedyann161420
    15 years ago

Tracy- the recipe sounds so yummy, and such an easy way to fix bacon. (I hate frying it because it is so messy!).
    IT IS GAME TIME AND THE PRIZE IS FOR START OF "TIME TRAVELER" TALL BEARDED IRIS. (Pinegar 93) ruffled light yellow with yellow-orange Beard, golden yellow horn. Space Age & Rebloomer.
    TELL ME WHERE SHELBY AND DEANNA GOT MARRIED AND IT IS YOURS

Im just letting you know in advance, I will be mailing this around the 15th.

LIFE IS GOOD,
    Annie

Here is a link that will show you what it looks like

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1292375}}

• karenh71867
    15 years ago

Annie, my guess is your backyard!

Trina, I received your email! I'll reply either tonite or tomorrow (depending on how busy I get ) It has been a hectic week end!

Thursday morn. a big stormed blew through and knocked over trees and branches. My neighbor across the street had a tree topple over his driveway, and yep, right across his pickup. We had a large branch from the neighbors tree hit my fencing around the play area, and make a mess out of part of that. I spent 3 hrs that morn. helping clean up with the neighbors. Our corn was about flattened, but it is trying to straighten up again!

Saturday morn. (4am) I sent my daughter (15yr) off to New York with a group of other girls. (and 4 adults) We're pretty nervous having her so far away in such a big place. She comes back Wednesday. She is truely amazed so far. This was also her first trip in a plane and she said she loved the turbulance...shaking my head...My hubby and I and my mom canned 41 quarts and 5 pints of pickles all afternoon Sat., and today I froze peaches, picked & cleaned beans, helped hubby put primer on the side of the house, and collected seeds. Its been a long week end!

I've been looking for cookbooks also! and other goodies!
    But for now, I best go and check on my supper.
    Have a great evening everyone!
    Karen

• sassyd
    15 years ago

Hey girls, I got it to load! lol Not sure it will last but for now, I'm here!

Tracy thanks so much dear for posting partners for me and just so you all know, I just gave her the list, she did the work and I just appreciate it so much, I didn't want you all to have to wait.

Fran, lol, we're all glad you could join us! You and Dan have fun!

Tracy, yes here in SC we live for 'the dog days of summer' lol, I don't care what you put on your hair it looks like you licked your finger and stuck it in an electrical socket! Can we say FRIZZ! lol

Beth, Annie is right, you're way behind telling us about your travels. I know you've got some good stories waiting for us, come one lets hear them!

Annie, I'm so sorry to hear how much damage your DS had but I'm just glad they're okay. It was so hot here this weekend, we didn't go to the other house or take the jet ski's out, I just couldn't bear the thoughts of it, 104 and not even getting into humidity:(

GW is crazy lately!! For me it wasn't a matter of signing in, I just couldn't get it to load at all. Hope thats over now.

Tracy that receipe does sound yummy. Here's a tip from me for those of you that make baked beans (I always use Bush Baked Beans then doctor up) and this would work for this receipe too. Instead of frying the bacon and then chopping it up which takes forever, its so much easier to take a pair of sizzers and chop them in tiny pieces 'before' frying. Stir fry, Then drain and poof! I'm serious, it will save you lots of time.

Personally I think Annie deserves the surprise for the quickest, easiest receipe with the omelet! Love it!:))
    What do you girls think? That was just awesome! And it works, I tried it Annie, it was great. Thanks so much for sharing.

Annie, about the game, I have no clue but since Karen picked your yard, I'll pick Deanna's parents garden. lol
    Really, I have no clue!

Karen, I'm sorry to hear about the storm that went thru. I'm just glad you are all ok. I know its nerving you about your daughter so far away, I would be too. She'll be bragging about that turbulance for a while to come I'm sure, lol. Oh, btw, you've worked hard enough!

Ok, I'm suggesting we throw out some crazy, maybe weird things we like to eat. I'll start with a couple......

I love M & M's with nuts and Lay's Potato Chips together! OMG! Its to die for!
    I get a craving (once in awhile) for a scrambled egg sandwich with ketchup. How weird is that?

Yes, I'm weird and I know it!

Who's next?

Sassy

• raggedyann161420
    15 years ago

OH Sassy, thank you about my omelets, but to be fair, I think you should just put everyone's name in a hat that put a recipe in and pull out a name. Better yet let your beautiful grand daughter Kenzie(hope I spelled that right) do it.

Like I mentioned in another post. both my digital and microwave died today. Now I know what I will be asking Santa for, but I can't wait that long for a microwave. Isn't it amazing how much we take for granted the things we use every day?

Ok, everyone guess again, because although they got married outside it was not in either yard. If noone guesses I will give some hints.

LIFE IS GOOD,
    Annie

• raggedyann161420
    15 years ago

Well, to tell the truth I will eat just about anything. You know that saying see food diet, thats me!

Many years ago when I was pregnant with Shelby I craved onion rings with soft serve ice cream, I still love it today. Oh yes, I do like ketchup on my eggs too. Your not weird Sassy!LOL

LIFE IS GOOD,
    Annie

• pixiesluvplants
    15 years ago

Annie I am going to guess on the beach.

Weird foods eh? Hmmmmm Milk and chili, hmmm I think thats about as weird as I get but I could be mistaken lol

• raggedyann161420
    15 years ago

Well, yea it was at the Beach, but where at?I guess I wasn't very specific now was I? Of course I'm easy and since you said the beach I will send you the iris.

But....I have more of them I can share! ((((giggles)))). If you guess where the beach was,I will have to send you something else of course. OK, WHO CAN TELL ME WHERE THIS BEACH WAS!

THIS IS FUN!
    LIFE IS GOOD,
    Annie
    P.S. Pixie is your chili so hot you have to have milk with it? ((((GIGGLES))))

• pixiesluvplants
    15 years ago

lol Annie, I am not a spicy person so I take the MILD VERY MILD chili. I think I could guess the answer to the question I think but I will let someone else guess, I guess I should have been more specific lol.

OK NOW ALERT MESSAGE TO ALL THOSE THAT I HAVE SENT SAGO PALMS TO.... I just learned this today from reading so I am going to copy and paste.

Daydreaming of a sandy beach and a breeze shimmying through the palm trees? Paradise, right? Not so fast, says Fido. Though palm trees evoke relaxation of the highest order, Sago palm (Cycas revolute)a stocky member of the Cycad family of plantsis downright dangerous to our furry companions.

According to the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) in Urbana, IL, pet poisonings from the increasingly popular plant are on the rise. Since 2003, the Center has seen an increase in cases of Sago palm and Cycad poisonings by more than 200 percent. APCC data also reveals that 50 percent to 75 percent of those cases resulted in fatalities.

A native of Southern Japan, Sago palm has been a common addition to outdoor landscaping in sunny climes, but in recent years, has also emerged as a trendy houseplant in northern states. Though attractive with its dark green leaves and hairy trunk, the plant is highly toxic to cats and dogs. Common signs of Sago palm poisoning include vomiting, diarrhea, weakness, depression, seizures and liver failure.

"Many pet parents may not be familiar with the toxic effects of Cycad palms, and assume the only poisonous portions are the seeds or nuts," says Dr. Sharon Gwaltney-Brant, veterinary toxicologist and APCC Vice President. "But all parts of the plant are toxic if ingested."

As always, pet parents should guard against any mishaps and prevent their furry beloveds from coming into contact with Sago palm plants by placing them out of reach. Or consider a nontoxic alternative to brighten your home and keep the dog days of summer cool and carefree.

I don't worry about things like that because my Sagos aren't within access to my babies but just thought I'd pass this along because I know I have sent sagos to friends with pets.

• sassyd
    15 years ago

Well it should have been at Myrtle Beach! lol but I'm sure it wasn't. I'm not familar with Chicago other than Lake Michigan, I'm a dummy, I know. I had one horrific trip there about 4 years ago, its really funny now that I look back on it, I'll have to xpain sometime, lol.

Annie, I think Pix has to have some chili to go with that hot Texas milk! (JK Pix! Jeezzza its hot here too sweetie)

You girls have a good night and hopefully I'll be able to get back on tommorrow.

Sassy

Oh Annie, my DH thinks I'm a nutcase to like ketchup on eggs, so I figured everyone else would too~ and I don't like it all the time, just get this craving once in awhile:)

• raggedyann161420
    15 years ago

Pixie, you still get the iris, and no Sassy it wasn't Myrtle Beach.

Wow, I didn't know about the Sagos, and since I have kitties I have no house plants, and that is the only way the palms are going to survive here in the winter time but will be fine outside in the Summer. But you see, I still don't have many container plants because with me being on the road they sometime get neglected.

DH does a great job of taking care of the house, kitties, and yard while I'm gone. He always ask me if I've got anything coming, and then of course when I do, he says where in the heck,(thats not really the word he says, but you get the idea) are you going to put them.LOL

Anyway, good info Pixie, and thanks for the information.I'm trying to stay up late tonight because I have to do 10 hours tomorrow night, I'm off till Friday, then back to the real world.

Later,
    LIFE IS GOOD,
    Annie

• pixiesluvplants
    15 years ago

You have a great DH Annie!!! I know I do also but sheesh sometimes I just get sooo irritated at him!!! Like today... he is working 7 days a week (not because HE HAS to but because he think he needs to (he is part owner/suck up whatever ya want to call it) so today he gets home at 1.5 in the afternoon and gets iffed a tad because neither Alan nor I wanted to go to eat dinner (lunch). OK thats over with so then he decides he needs to go to the shop to drop some stuff off for tomorrow, I don't say a word except ask him to stop by and get some milk on his way home. While he is gone I spend alot of time in the pool but kept the dogs inside the house cause its just too hot for them outside. LOL should have thought about that beforehand because when fox came home and I came inside (fox was sitting in the blue recliner at this time) there was a ripped up Television guide, toilet paper, plug wrappers (think ladies), did I mention toilet paper?, scattered from the hall throughout the living room!!!! Yeppers I was angry at the kiddos but moreso at fox because OMGOODNESS what if Alan had come in with some of his friends??? The least fox could have done was pick some SOME of it up!@!!! I didn't say a word (believe it or not!) just picked up the mess and then picked up a cross stitch project I am working on. Fox (I guess could feel the tension so he started talking about this tropical storm in the gulf, heck for all I know he could have just been asking me because he knows I watch the weather lol)

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

My weird thing is either:
    Chocolate Ice Cream and Bugles
    Chocolate Ice Cream and Ruffles Potato chip
    use either one of the above to SCOOP up ice cream to eat it
    OR
    Homemade hot dog chili with cucumber slices.
    Or and I haven't done in a long time but is still good I guess:
    Green Tomato and onion biscuit
    I like mayo and mustard mixed together sometimes for french fries instead of Ketch-up and I also use it as a tater chip dip

Are those gross, ooops I mean weird enough for yah? Cuz I am sure I have more...lol

My guess: Daytona Beach Fl

• raggedyann161420
    15 years ago

Nope, not Daytona Beach, although you are getting warm Fran! Try again.

• pixiesluvplants
    15 years ago

Fran I HAD to look at your page just to make sure you weren't preggo cause what you listed is truly hmmm ummm YUCKY sounding lol. I read all about your ponds and Koi and Goldfish, so if would you email me plz, I have a couple water hyacinths that I can send for your ponds if you want them.

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Guess: St Augustine, Fl

Nope, I have been eating this stuff for years. My dad got me eating the Bugles and C. IC, I tried the chips on my own after that. Think about it, usually at BDay parties you have cake, chips, and IC so really that one is NOT that bad.

I used to like the green tomato and onion biscuit when I was like 8 years old..
    The chili, well that just kind of happened one day. Same thing with the chips, I was eating Hamburger with chips and some of the juicy stuff fell out onto my chips, so I thought well, how bad can it be? So I ate the chips with the mix on it, I liked it. So, I figured if I like it on chips I will have to like it on french fries and I do...lol.

Oh, I also do a ketup and mayo chip dip...it is good.
    And I like pickle sandwiches....lol.

I CAN NOT stand ketch-up on eggs, that is just too gross. I won't tell you what it reminds me of and is the reason WHY I can't stomach it...lol.

• pixiesluvplants
    15 years ago

)Now the mayo/ketchup and mayo/mustard sauce I do eat with fries. I really don't care for ice cream that much, until I get a craving (once in a blue moon), ok I am the weirdo that doesn't really like sweets, one M&M tides me over for months lol. I do get sweet cravings once in awhile though (Fox says its just to jump-start my heart, he says I am heartless sheesh!) I can honestly say that most of the time when I get cravings its for COW or a nice big glass of COLD milk and a peanut butter and Red Plum Jelly sanny. (or a smoked turkey and ham sanny ( a friend got me started on these recently)). I LOVE pickles and green olives. Ketchup on eggs is a NO-WAY for me regardless of what it reminds me of. I don't eat alot of chips either lol, hmmm maybe I am more weird than the food I eat lol. (Green tomato's are perfect for the vine but not for my plate! lol sorry). I do like Tomatos and most every kind of veggies, dislike poultry (cept smoked turkey lol), LOVE COW, LOVE COW, LOVE COW, will eat pork, and like some fish especially Walleye and crustations (sp). Love all cheeses/breads/pastas (yeppers I can just put them in the chair that I am going to sit in so they can bypass my tummy and end up where they are going to attach themselves to anyways, MY REAR END!) I love trying new foods (even if they have something I don't normally eat or think I dislike). I love fresh veggies and fruit (don't really care for cooked fruit except for mmmmm Apple Dumplings!) I do like Venison and even like to cook Bambie. I don't know why I don't like poultry but I do cook it. (believe it or not I do cook good lol when I cook!)

Ok I think that pretty much covers my eating habits lol. Eventually I will get my sleeping habits down so I sleep more. Hate going to bed at 3 and waking up at 5.5 makes me think that somewhere I am missing out on sleep.

Niters,
    Pixie

• beth_b_kodiak
    15 years ago

Like Annie, I'll eat anything but my favorite oddd combo is:
    crunchy Peanut butter
    sliced sweet gherkin pickles
    on toast (prefer whole wheat)
    If you crave crunch this is the combo to try.
    hugs to all BB

• raggedyann161420
    15 years ago

Oh beth, my MIL used to eat, Banana,pickle, mayonnaise sandwiches.

Fran, you are getting cold. I can say it is home to many plants, birds, and reptiles that you may find no place else in the world.

LIFE IS GOOD,
    Annie

• dan_the_mailman
    15 years ago

you all make my dietary choices look tame! is this a residual effect of female hormones? one of my favorite combos, though not a weird or gross one, is peanut butter and banana.

Fran and I have been e-mailing, and we're gonna send our boxes at the end of the month/beginning of September.

I'm packing and getting ready for my trip to New York, so will be quiet for a couple of weeks until I get back on the 18th or 19th. I may peek in next week though. My S.O. Paula is helping me with Fran's box, that is just so cool!

See you all in the funny pages!

-Dan

• tracyvine
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Annie, I can't believe how much damage your sister's place had. I am going to pray very hard that they don't get any rain until the roof is all buttoned up again. It is so amazing how much damage storms can create. It is such a blessing that no one was hurt. Thank goodness!

I have to agree with Sassy, that your recipe has to be the simplest and tastiest recipe. It doesn't get much better than that!:o)

Good Guess, Pixie! Congratulations! That is one pretty iris.

I am going to guess that Shelby and Deanna got married while scuba diving under water. Am I close?

Beth, pickles and peanut butter?! Oh my! lol!

As for weird food combinations, well, I don't think this is all that weird but I love eating my popcorn mixed up with my raisinettes at the movies! There is nothing I like better than the sweet and salty combination. YUM!

Hey ya Sassy! Glad to see your smiling face back on GW! I'm happy that everyone seems to be liking their partners. Happy to be of help where I can. Ah, humidity and the frizz! I sometimes wish I had curly hair but that frizz thing would make me nuts in the summer. lol! Course having straight hair drives me nuts in the summer too. :o(

Well, it seems my potato casserole dish that I brought to the family party caused a bit of a stir yesterday. My cousin's new wife had a housewarming party so we were together with her family and ours. Her Aunt came up to me and told me that HER family always asks her to bring the pototo casserole because it is the BEST recipe. Only this time her niece asked me to bring mine. She let me know she was a bit put out about it until she tried it, now she says that the Loaded Potato Skin Casserole is the BEST potato recipe and she made me give her the recipe. I thought I was in big trouble at first. Glad that she just wanted the recipe. lol!

• raggedyann161420
    15 years ago

Everyone's recipes are so good! But I'm glad you liked the omelets Tracy.

Well, you are so close, but nope they didn't scuba dive, I don't think they did. They did do some horseback riding. Here is another hint. It has sun-drenched beaches, warm tropical breezes and rich cultural heritage. Try again.

It is really steamy out today with the heat index at around 107 and it isn't noon here yet. I can't imagine how hot it is in other places.

I think we are just going to have salad and ice tea for lunch.
    LIFE IS GOOD,
    Annie

• raggedyann161420
    15 years ago

You wear these on your feet. I think this will give it away.

LIFE IS GOOD,
    Annie

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Guess: Jamaica: The Tropical Island Paradise in the Caribbean

Pixie, I can't eat Ice Cream any more, since I have pretty much STOPPED eating sweet stuff Ice Cream makes me sick on my stimach. Heck as a matter of fact so does potato chips. I have been eating a lot more fruits and veggies and since I have been doing that a while, other things I used to like just doesn't agree with my stomach. And IF I do decide to get something in the junk food range I end up paying for it in the long run because of the way it makes me feel.

I ALSO CRAVE COW!!! If I go without eating it for a few days, I start wanting it REALLY bad.

Annie, stay inside today!! at least as much as you can. I hope ur sis gets everything fixed and all without anymore trouble.

DAN HAVE A GREAT TRIP....

Tracy, I still thank you da BOMB!!!...lol.

• raggedyann161420
    15 years ago

Fran, You are right! They got married in Ocho Rios and honeymooned at COUPLES SWEPT AWAY IN NEGRIL, JAMAICA. I will get that iris out to you when it is not so hot and steamy. I think by the 15th or so the weather might be a little cooler.

By the way, how far are you from Fayetteville? My niece is there because her husband is in the service. They just boarded a plane to go back this morning after a nice visit home.

Dan have a great trip, be safe and take some pictures!

Don't worry, I'm not going outside today!

LIFE IS GOOD,
    Annie

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

We are in Shelby, I am thinking about 3 hours drive from there. It is like 185 miles to there from here.

I finally won something...YEAH...whoop whoop...

Man, I wish I could talk to someone about what I am planning on sending Dan, I am busting a gut to talk about it...I am so excited....and gosh I hope he likes it...

• raggedyann161420
    15 years ago

Well, you can always e-mail me! LOL. I don't have to go into work tonight so I'm free till Friday night. YEA!!!!

Margaret e-mailed me last night, and boy is it a small world. We don't really live that far from each other.

I've not start buying anything yet. To be honest we have no stores here. Just a gas station, hmm.....bar and a of course a couple of churches. We do have a little post office, but no house-house delivery!

Please send me your address, I know I don't have it.

LIFE IS GOOD,
    Annie

• raggedyann161420
    15 years ago

The contractor is finishing up a job then Sis's house will be next. They are real good at what they do, Sis's daughter recommended him as they put on a new roof for her. It all just takes time.

I went out to check tomatoes, and I do have 3 that survived the ordeal, lot of green ones on there, no reds. I can fix fried green tomatoes. Speaking of tomatoes a friend just e-mailed me some things to do with maters.

Susie, I'm sharing with what you shared with me. I'm going to have to try some of these.

WHAT TO DO WITH LEFTOVER GREEN TOMATO'S FROM THE GARDEN ???

WELL NOW YOU KNOW & IF YOU HAVE A RECIPE TO SHARE PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ADD TO THE LIST & SHARE WITH THOSE WHO HAVE SHARED WITH YOU.
    DID YOU KNOW
    #1 GREEN TOMATO CAN BE FROZEN TILL READY TO FRY ??? YEP
    WASH & SLICE GREEN TOMATOS DIP INTO FLOUR MIXED WITH SALT ,PEPER
    OR OTHER SPICES PLACE ON A COOKIE SHEET LINED WITH WAX PAPER
    WHEN SHEET IS FULL SET IN FREEZER FOR 1HR OR STILL FROZE THEN PLACE IN FREEZER ZIPLOCK BAGS .
    MAY ALSO USE YOUR DEEP FRYING BATTER ALSO TO FREEZE TILL READY TO FRY.
    **************************************************************************************************************************
    #2 ALMOST RASPBERRY JAM
    WASH & CORE ABOUT 5-6 LG GREEN TOMATOS CUT INTO 1/4" CHUNKS PLACE FEW AT A TIME IN BLENDER OR CHOPPER & DICE THEM UP , POUR INTO STRAINER .
    MEASURE OUT & SIMMER FOR 25 MINS OVER MED HEAT STIRRING OCCASSIONLY SO AS NOT TO BURN OR STICK .
    51/2 CUPS
    51/2 CUPS SUGAR
    REMOVE FROM HEAT AFTER 25 MINS & ADD .
    1 LG BOX OF RASPBERRY JELLO
    POUR INTO JELLY JARS LET COOL & REFRIGERATE OR MAY FREEZE .
    **************************************************************************************************************************
    # 3 "GREEN TOMATO PIE "
    WASH , CORE & DICE 4 CUPS OF GR TOMATOS DRAIN WELL
    MEASURE 1 1/2 CUP OF SUGAR - 1/2 CUP FLOUR - 1 teas EA CINN-NUTMEG MIX SET ASSIDE
    PLACE PART SUGAR MIXTURE IN BOTTOM CRUST ADD TOMATOS & TOP WITH THE REST OF SUGAR MIXTURE
    PLACE 4 PATS OF BUTTER & PUT ON TOP CRUST BRUSH TOP CRUST WITH TBS OF MILK & SPRINKLE WITH SUGAR
    CUT SLITS OR AIR HOLE IN TOP CRUST BAKE AT 350 * FOR ABOUT 1HR 15 MINS OR TILL TOMATOS ARE TENDER
    & CRUST IS GOLDEN BROWN .
    THIS IS MADE LIKE APPLE PIE BUT TOMATOS MUST BE DICED NOT SLICED . I USE A CHOPPER & THEN DRAIN
    ***********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
    #4 GREEN TOMATO MINCEMEAT
    2 QT. CHOPPED GR TOMATOS (20) ABOUT 3/4C BR SUGAR
    1TBSP SALT 1/2C VINGAR
    1 ORANGE 2 tsp CINNAMON
    12 CHOPPED APPLES 1 tsp NUTMEG
    1LB RAISINS 1 tsp CLOVES
    1/2 tsp GINGER
    SPRINKLE SALT OVER TOMATOS : LET STAND 5 MINS . RINSE & DRAIN WELL .
    GRATE RIND OF ORANGE & CHOP PULP.
    SIMMER ALL INGDIENTS UNTIL APPLES & TOMATOS ARE TENDER & THICK
    POUR INTO JARS & SEAL .

• galium
    15 years ago

Tracy the Potato Skin Casserole sounds great.

Annie-Growing up my mom used to make fried green tomatoes. We loved them!

I spent some time the other day copying and pasting the recipes to MS Word. Now I have them all together.

Tip-I put a tablespoon or more of Relish in my tuna salad. My DD told me about this, it's delicious.

I always liked Potato Chips on my sandwiches. The crunch is delightful.

For some reason all the posts are running off to the right of the page. Why is that???

Came back from my sister's farm the other day. She gave us over 15 lbs. of ground beef. They raised a steer.

Deb-I have your address
    Have a great day,
    Mariann

• edsalldee
    15 years ago

I am confused. How do I contact my partner (Shirley)?

dee

• pat_6
    15 years ago

Dee, I think the easiest way to e-mail Shirley is to go back to the first Petal Pushers: August Cookbook Swap thread and click on her address at the top of her post. I don't think she's chimed in on this thread yet.

Speaking of contacting partners... Becki, I sent you an e-mail a few days ago through gardenweb. If you didn't receive it, please let me know and I'll try again. (Or you can just e-mail me, if you'd rather.) If the message reached you, and you just haven't replied yet, that's okay. I'm not trying to be pushy. It's just that, in my experience, messages sent through GW can be unreliable.

Pat

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Whew.....where to start......

I'm back, we went camping/fishing for a long weekend so I'm trying to get caught up on posts, yes Mariann, they are running off the page, makes it very hard to read.
    The trip was not too great, and I'm glad to be home! On the way up the mountain the thermostat went bad in the pickup, the boys (Jamie's oldest son Chris and his nephew were taking that up with his sisters Quad on it) Things didn't get much better after that but I won't go into all of it now.

Sassy, sorry I didn't email ya, I started to and I think I blinked and lost my chain of thought! LOL
    But, doesn't seem to matter, I got a Rocky Mountain partner! Yeah!!

Beth! Hey partner! Are you talking sage as in sage brush!? Well I can fill a big ole box of that LOL.
    As far as altitude, I'm only about 3400ft, I'm not sure if it's that, my oven, or my lack of skill, but I'm having a heck of a time baking anything! Rolls, bread, cookies, all get burnt! And the bread is the worst, it gets burnt on the outside before it's done on the inside! Maybe you can help me with that?
    Send me an email and lmk what kind of cooking you like to do.

Tracy, I've got to try those taters! They sound awesome!

Annie, I'm glad to hear your home safe, I bet you are wore out!

Humidity......I have to say I miss it a little, it's in the 40's today and I can breath through my nose!! That is something I haven't been able to do much of out here with the dryness.

My favorite weird foods (or so I've been told)
    Smokey links and lima beans
    cream of mushroom soup with tuna over toast!
    Love those two! Jamie thought I was nuts, now he's hooked also!

Well, off to find something for the guys to eat, they just drove 4hrs for work and were going to be staying there for the week, when they got there it wasn't ready so they turned around and headed home! What a waste of gas! and time.

Vic

• sassyd
    15 years ago

Fran, lol, thanks for NOT telling us! (Eggs & ketchup) It would probably turn me for good and this is only a once in a few months craving so please....lets let it go.....*grin*

Dan hope you have a good trip and glad you and Fran have your boxes worked out, no problem! a residual effect of female hormones? Yes, probably! They're again, I craved cakes, pies, pasteries, etc when I was preggers almost 27 years ago, and since can't stand anything sweet. Love pound cake, but don't give me one with icing. Also, before that time I wouldn't eat any kind of greens, but craved them while preggers. Weird. I've eaten them ever since.

Annie, sorry but great minds think alike and you're the winner in our book of the simplest and easiest and tastiest receipe! Love it, love it! Not that I don't love everyones else's and have copied them all and will be trying them:)))

Tracy, that was so funny about the potato casserole receipe at the party, lol! Thank goodness she knows a good thing when she tastes it! Apparently it calmed her down! lol (Her good fortune, I'm sure)

Fran! Congrat's on the iris! You done good girl!

Annie, I'm closer to Fayetteville than Fran, I'm only an hour away, my step daughter lives there. Where I live here I'm only 10 miles from the SC/NC line and at the other house about the same to the NC/VA line, guess I like lines, lol. Hey think about it, how easy is it for me to be in 2 places at the same time? lol I'm so glad you don't have to work tonight after all, you sure deserve the time off! Thanks for posting Susie's receipes, she sent them to me too, bless her heart, I told her how my tomato bushes are just worn completely out, though they still have lots of tomato's on them,,all green. Now mind you I picked these off the bushes today, some are green because a storm knocked 2 bushes and frames down, so I had to bring
    them in. I had 2 pots on the stove blanching when I took this photo. Now mind you, I only have 6 plants, but I've never seen any produce harder. I've got 20 pint packs in the freezer now, I've given my SIL (3) plastic grocery bags full and this is what I picked today!

And of course....a little suggie for those in need:))
    (Notice the pout forming, my Mom took the pic as she was looking at me tell her to get out of there! lol) She does this u-turn with the bottom lip and 'holds' it there, lol. God I love this kid!!!!!!

Sorry, okay, totally sidetracked....thanks so much Susie for the wonderful receipes, girl I have so many more tomatoes out there! I'll need them.

Mariann, thank God someone noticed besides me! Thought my computer was going crazy! Its driving me nuts and only happened later today. Hope it straightens out soon, too hard to read. I've always wanted to try Fried Green Tomatoes, I've heard they taste like fried squash, which I love. Only way I'll eat squash. I do love chips in any sandwich, and I've got to try Tracy's receipe! I already know I'll love it! I have all the others copied too, did I already say that? Hummmmm, well if I did I'm sorry:(

Vic, sorry the trip didn't go so well, you blinked and forgot, now would you call that a brain f@rt?

Ok, I'm bad and I'm sorry!!!!!

Please forgive a lil ole lady that can't hardly stand up straight like that kitty!!!! lol

Night girls!
    Sassy

• pixiesluvplants
    15 years ago

OK MISS SASSERS........... Rub it in about the maters!!! Those look awesome!!!

Hate to tell ya but I agree with lil Kenzie, I'd be sittin in the fridge too if I could!!!! She is such a cute and omgoodness getting so big!!! MMMMUUUUUAAAAHHHHH kisses sent!

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

This crazy post is driving me nuts too... I hate having to zip back and forth to read them, maybe we should start another thread since this one is acting up... I don't think it is going to "fix" it's self, its been this way for a few post...
    Sassy, if you don't mind what town do u live in close to the NC/SC line. We used to live in Grover. Are you kind of in the middle of the state? That is why you are closer to Fayetteville than I am cuz it is a straight shot up there for you, right?

I want some maters...We have yet to get the first one off our vines...err...it is like they are just sitting there with green maters on them.
    I've tried fried green tomatoes and NO they don't taste just like squash...I don't know WHAT they tasted like, I didn't like them, unless they were supposed to be breaded in cornmeal, which the person who fixed those did it with flour..yuck....
    Green tomatoes on biscuits to me tasted just like red ones, although, mind you I WAS about 8 years old when I ate them and I might not be remembering right...LOL...no really they did or I wouldn't have eaten them...I am somewhat a picky eater.
    Don't bother asking me to eat shuhi..that ain't happening...NOOOOOO! Raw fish is for wild animals and that I ain't.

If any meat isn't cooked I am not gonna eat it. And deer meat,,,gag, gag, gag. I can taste the WILD animal in it...it is gross. Sorry Pixie girl.

I think most of us like tater chips on sammys...I like it best on a ham sandwich, with mayo....yeap.

Vic, that tuna dish does sound gross...lol. I don't like tuna.

Thanks everybody for the congrats...I am pleased...lol.

When I was preggy, with my first, I craved PB and Grape J sandwiches with a TALL glass of ICE COLD milk. Would wake up in the middle of the night craving them...so yeah it was ALL the time with that one. (he weighed 8 lbs 13 oz).
    Don't really remember craving anything the second time (he was normal weight 7 lbs 11 oz, yea that was normail for me...lol), but the 3rd one was Pinto beans, cole slaw, and cornbread...isn't that a hoot? That is what I wanted...a lot.(HE weight 10lbs 3oz)ALL BOYS TOO, bummer, I wanted a girl so bad...now waiting on grandkids.

Oh well, guess I need to go to bed b4 3 am tonight.

• tracyvine
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Woo Hoo! Congrats Fran!

Ok, all of you who might try the potato casserole, it should come with a warning label that tells you how many inches it will add to your backsides. lol! It is yummy but so bad for your figure! lol!

Wow, those are some great recipes for tomatoes from Susie! We northerners are seriously inexperienced in the green tomato category. I didn't even know about fried green tomatoes until the movie came out with Julia Roberts in it! How bad is that?

Mariann, that is how we do our tuna salad here. My hubby never had it that way until we were married. Thinks its fancy. lol! I love my tuna salad sandwich on white toast with potato chips. Can't have one without the other! Yum! That is pretty much my lunch every friday during lent. This page is driving me crazy. Feel like I'm reading on a typewriter. Ding, hitting the return bar to start reading again!

Vic, welcome home! Um, er, you LIKE lima beans?! That is weird enough for me right there! You win! lol! My mom couldn't get me to eat those or canned beats when I was growing up. To this day my kids haven't ever had either of them! Blech! My Mom always had beats as a side dish with pork and Rice-A-Roni, I used to get so grossed out when the beat juice ran into the rice. UGH!

Sassy, Kenzie can come sit in my fridge any day of the week. She and Emma can sit there and figure out how the light turns on and off together.