Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
legallyheidi

NEW: Seed Purge Fall 2013

legallyheidi
10 years ago

I did this last year and had a blast, so hopefully I will again this year :)
I'm going ahead and posting this...though the deadline is October 15th. Yes, a long time away...but a few folks messaged me last go 'round that they didn't see it until it was too late...hopefully everyone who wants to participate has ample time to see this.

GUIDELINES FOR THE SWAP:
Swapper should have the ability to send seeds in by the deadline (October 15th).
The ability to post then they've received their seeds back from me.

Let me know in this thread that you would like to participate & I will message my address to you. THE PURGE IS OPEN TO ALL...USA, CANADA, & INTERNATIONAL.
*PLEASE make sure that it is legal to send and receive seeds in your country...as there are a few that do not accept seeds from the US*

1. You can send in up to 100 seed packs. If you are sending in extra seeds as a bonus please mark them clearly as a bonus. If you send in 100 packages, you will get 100 packages back. If you send in 5 packages you will get 5 back. There is a maximum of 5 packages of each variety per person. Variety meaning "Dixie Butterpea", not legumes in general You can send veggies, flowers, and herbs.
As a rule, seed packets should *try* and contain the following:
Tiny Seeds (basil, hyssop, poppies): 1/4 tsp
Small Flower Seeds (calendula, bachelor button): 1/2 tsp
Small Vegetable Seeds (tomato, pepper, eggplant): 10 seeds
Large Flower Seeds (4 O'Clock, Nasturtium, Thunbergia): 10 seeds
Large Vegetable Seeds (Squash, Beans, Corn): 20 seeds

2. Please send NAMED VARIETIES of seed. Please mark the seed package with the type of seed (annual or perennial flower, herb, vegetable, etc.) & the cultivar name. PLEASE DO NOT SEND KNOWN HYBRIDS. If seeds are from a commercial source, please note that as well. Basically put as much info as you can on the packet. Or if possible, send seeds in the original packet. If there is anything that is unsure of, just ask! Do not include mystery seeds. It isn't fair to send mystery seed to people who followed the instructions & sent in named varieties. Unknown varieties will be sent back to you.

When you grow out the seeds that you receive please try not to be upset if an occasional plant is not true. That being said, please don't send in seed that you know is crossed & will not grow true.

Please do not include seeds that are older than 2011.

3. Please include a list of the seeds that you are sending in (or message me with the list). Also include a wish list or preferences and if there are any seeds you do not want to receive. I will try my best to accommodate your wish list, but there are no guarantees, of course. The returned seeds will be completely dependent on what is sent in. The easiest wishlists to fill include some specifics (Malachite Box Tomato), but also some general wishes (Green-when-ripe tomatoes). Don't be shy. It is easier, if your wishlist has 100 things on it. If you wish to message me your wishlist, please feel free, and if you'd like, post it (or some of it) on the thread. If you have something on your wishlist & get it from another source, change your mind, or find something that you wish to add to your list, just let me know. It is no trouble to change the lists until the day that I send them out, then you're kinda stuck.
Please include both your real name (for mailing) and your screen name, so I know who has sent in their seeds! I had trouble with a few last go 'round who didn't include a screen name

WHAT TO SEND:
Inside your envelope you should have:
1. Whatever seed you are contributing to the swap
2. 5 US Stamps (Canada & international can send monetary funds, if need be)
3. An address label with your address on it.
4. A wish list or list of preferences or do not want list
5. Include your name & Screen name

I'm downsizing in the winter, so my stash of seeds will be added...everyone will end up with more than they sent in.
I'm posting this on Idig, as well...there were quite a few participants from the site last time.

Comments (150)

• aquadragonfly
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Ohhh LH, what color did you get? Mine was aqua!!! So nice of her isn't it. I was thrilled to receive one, such an honor!

:) Aqua

• legallyheidi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Aqua!

I received seeds today from senjanevada!

• legallyheidi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm still waiting for seeds from:
    Suzydaze ~ Gardenweb
    pinkiris ~ Gardenweb
    gardenerz ~ Gardenweb
    aquadragonfly ~ Gardenweb
    Zackey ~ Gardenweb
    cmwsquirrl ~ Gardenweb
    micyrey ~ Gardenweb
    becki25msmolly ~ Gardenweb
    michellelee ~ Gardenweb
    barefootgardner12 ~ Gardenweb

If there will be a delay, let me know! We're all understanding.

• gr8heather
    10 years ago

You need them from me, too. :) I'll be getting them in the mail tomorrow, first class. There shouldn't be a delay.

• gr8heather
    10 years ago

Whoops, double post.

This post was edited by gr8heather on Fri, Oct 4, 13 at 18:06

• legallyheidi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I had you on my list as an idig-er, lol!

• pinkiris
    10 years ago

My package has been mailed, please lmk when it arrives =)

thanks!

• legallyheidi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Will do :)

• gr8heather
    10 years ago

Heidi, I've packaged my seeds up, and printed the shipping label. I sent in the 100 seeds packs, and 95 bonus packs. l hope that's not too many. You should have got an email with the tracking number. I'll be putting them in the mail tomorrow morning. I'm including something extra for you. I'm writing to you about it in an email, which also includes the list of seeds I'm sending in, and my want list.
    Thanks!

• legallyheidi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Got it! It's not too many. Our tomato lovers will be happy :)

Thanks, Heather!

• l1oness
    10 years ago

Can I still join? I can ship out on Monday, so you should have it by the 15th.

Mandy

• legallyheidi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sure Mandy! I'll message you.

• l1oness
    10 years ago

Thank you! I have it packed up and ready to go. I enclosed the "sent" list, but I'll have to message you with my "wish" list - I'm still working on it. :-)

If you would like my "sent" list via message, just let me know.

Thank you,
    Mandy

• legallyheidi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yay! As long as your sent list is included there is no need to message it to me.

• mjzzyzoff
    10 years ago

Can I still join? I have to go out and get empty packets tonight so I could have them filled in a day or two and def. to you by the 15th. All those tomatoes everyone is listing sound fantastic!

• legallyheidi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yup. Messaged you.

• johnboyjjm
    10 years ago

Heidi,

Thank you for hosting this great swap. I am sending 90 packets out in the morning.

Five packets each of:

Heirloom White Half Runners Beans (Veg)
    Delicata Squash (Veg)
    Yellow Straightneck Squash (Veg)
    Table Queen Acorn Squash (Veg)
    Boston Pickling Cucumber (Veg)
    Late Flat Dutch Cabbage (Veg)
    Mammoth Sunflower
    Evening Sun Sunflower
    Speckled Swan Gourd
    Small Spoon Gourd
    Plum Granny Melon
    Blackeyed Susan Vine (annual flower)
    Purple Hyacinth Bean/Vine (annual flower/ornamental)
    Zebra Hollyhock (annual flower)
    Sunrise Serenade Double Morning Glory (annual flower)
    Celosia Argentea (annual flower)
    Catalpa/Catawba/Fishbait (Tree)
    PawPaw (Tree) (Needs 90 day stratification and kept moist)

+1 Requested packet marked for veganseeds from Idig

(My Specific Wish List From Mostly What I Have Seen Posted):

Teddy Bear Sunflower

Kelloggs Breakfast Tomato
    Mortgage Lifter Tomato
    Paul Robenson Tomato
    Striped Cavern Tomato
    Aunt Ruby’s German Green Tomato

Crimson Sweet Watermelon
    Tendersweet Orange or Orangeglo Watermelon
    Early Moonbeam Watermelon

Buttercrunch Lettuce
    Vivian Romaine Lettuce

Tiger Stripe Pumpkin

Lemon Cucumber

Bolivian Rainbow Chile Pepper

Papaver Somniferum Poppy

Cherokee Trail of Tears Bean

Broccoli Green Sprouting Calabrese

Long Island Mammoth Dill

Apple Gourd
    Bushel Gourd
    Persimmon Tree Seeds

(My Generic Wish List):

Pumpkins/Winter Squash
    Tomatoes
    Peppers
    Sunflowers
    Herbs
    Melons
    Butterfly and Hummingbird Attracting Flowers

• legallyheidi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Received seeds today from leafthief, monkeysea, & ellabee!

• gr8heather
    10 years ago

You got mine, right? I hope the cuttings did well.

• legallyheidi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yup, got 'em! Thanks!

• clay_lady
    10 years ago

I sent my seeds out yesterday I love all kinds of heirlooms and most other seeds as well.

• legallyheidi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Awesome! I'll post when I get them.

• mjzzyzoff
    10 years ago

So much neat stuff! Getting my package ready to mail today, 5 of each unless otherwise marked:

Tomato, Sweet Pea Currant
    Tomato, Indigo Rose
    tomato, yellow-white cherry
    tomato, chocolate cherry
    mixed marigold
    signet marigold
    bronze fennel
    bean, black bush
    bean, KY Wonder (3)
    cilantro
    bouquet dill
    moon & stars watermelon
    lime basil (2)

My wishlist from what I've seen posted:
    speckled butterpeas
    black eyed peas
    delicata squash
    acorn squash
    buttercrunch lettuce
    clematis
    hibiscus
    cream sausage tomato
    banana pepper
    lemon cucumber
    banana squash
    radish, gourmet blend
    radish, sparkler white tip
    any morning glory
    lemon balm
    white half runner bean
    speckled swan gourd
    orange tomato banana

generically, I'm looking for:
    Hostas, any
    slow to bolt lettuces
    herbs
    sweet peppers
    paste/meaty type tomatoes
    squashes
    shade loving perennials

• aquadragonfly
    10 years ago

Mail went in the mail today, man I wish I would have checked the post today before I got it to the PO.
    I have some of what folks are looking for :(

I think I included everything I was supposed to but legallyheidi I told you on my wants I didn't want any more tomatoes BUT if I could get any of the Indigo or Blue tomatoes that would be awesome.
    I did send in a few Hybrid (comm packs) because I forgot which swap was which. I also sent in a somewhat unnamed Columbine, it is a Wild Red. SORRY.
    The PO is closed Monday but if I need to replace those Heidi just let me know. Send me a message if I need to replace those. I can send something else :)
    I was just in a rush because I have been sick for over a week now and I was trying to finish up today so I could get it to you in time.

• legallyheidi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The hybrids are fine...someone is using the seeds they get to use in a community swap, and they actually asked for hybirds :)

I believe someone has sent in quite a few packets of blue tomatoes, so I'll keep watch out for you.

I hope you're feeling better, Aqua!

• aquadragonfly
    10 years ago

Thanks Heidi on both.
    I found a pack that was supposed to go in there too, I don't know how it missed the envy but it did.
    It was Dahlia unwins dwarf. There were supposed to be 2 packs but I suppose one missed it. I had 101 in there so I guess now it's 100 LOL!!!

I have been sick since last Wednesday, I don't know what it is. I feel worse today than I have been, I am ready to feel better.
    Don't worry everyone, I sanitized my hands before I touched the envies and seeds so y'all don't have to worry about me passing it on to anyone :)

Thanks for the well wishes Heidi I appreciate it.

• vegcarolina
    10 years ago

I am running late will send out on Monday and should get to you wend. Or Thursday.

• legallyheidi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That's fine. USPS doesn't run Monday, due to Columbus Day.

• TNflowerlover Zone 7a
    10 years ago

The self-serve stations should be, I think. My husband said people in the back should still be processing stuff (he used to work in a PO cafeteria). :)

• mjzzyzoff
    10 years ago

I sent mine priority mail yesterday so fingers crossed it will arrive on Tuesday!

• michelelee
    10 years ago

I had a bunch of things come up and completely forgot about the swap! I am so sorry. I do have them all packed up but they wouldn't go out until tomorrow and never would make it by the dead line. Ugh!!!
    Michele

• legallyheidi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Michelle, if you still want to send them feel free...between this site, idig, and Dave's Garden I'm still waiting to receive from about 20 people.

• michelelee
    10 years ago

Thanks! I will get a list together tonight and get them out tomorrow. Thanks!

• cryptid
    10 years ago

Oooo-ooo-ooo,...Blue tomatoes!! Can you save me some, purdy pleeeease?! Would totally love some!!

Aqua, so sorry to note you're under the weather, so to speak. :( I haven't been feeling well for several days, myself (digestive problems). Today is my first real day back on the computer for quite a while, mostly leaving belated positive R&R reviews for recent trades.

• legallyheidi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Received seeds from Penny, Paul Velat, msjzzyzoff, aquadragonfly, zeak, & gardenmermaid.

Yup, I'll reserve blue tomatoes for those who want them.

• gr8heather
    10 years ago

Heidi,
    I think I already told you, but the blue tomatoes I sent in are: Bosque Bumblebee, Dancing With Smurfs, and Indigo Rose. So you don't have to Google all of the different types. :)

• aquadragonfly
    10 years ago

Thanks for letting me know you received.
    cryptid, I had some kind of stomach thing too, thankfully I am finally over it. Glad to hear you are feeling better as well.
    Heidi, in the second package there is a small printed label with my addy on it.

Thanks again for doing this swap, I am excited to see what comes my way!

• cryptid
    10 years ago

Hey, Aqua,...

Yeah, I'm feeling basically human again, `cept for the fact that my BIL recently brought us an assortment of chocolates from Eureka, CA,...regular ones for Elly, sugar free for me,...where sugar free means sweetened with sorbitol and/or maltitol, which for diabetic (sometimes over indulgent) me often equates to gut cramps and other gastro-intestinal unpleasantries. Thing is, I indulge so seldom, ordinarily, that when a bounty presents itself, well, I tend to binge,...thus my undoing. Last night and early this morning I kinda went nutz and I've been basically paying for it all day, LOL. Oh wellllllll, I guess! Sorbitol sux, sucralose rules! Gonna have to make myself some Splenda peanut butter cookies and apple pie. Hate messin' with crust, though, but if I have to, Meta Givens recipe is the best. Too sleepy to type any more just now, so, "Night-night all!" Wishing you a sunny tomorrow!

• poisondartfrog
    10 years ago

I agree, Meta Givens is the absolute best!

• legallyheidi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Glad you're feeling better, for the most part. Today I received seeds from vegcarolina!

• pinkiris
    10 years ago

I would also LOVE to have a few of the blue tomatoes!!

Jayeanne

• legallyheidi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sure thing!

• legallyheidi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

michellelee, got your seeds!

• hibiscusfan -Northwest Ohio
    10 years ago

If you have any left I would like a few blue tomato seeds.Thanks,

Suzanne

• legallyheidi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'll reserve you a packet.

• legallyheidi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

If you have not mailed your seeds, please let me know. If I don't hear anything by the 31st, I'm going to assume that you are not wanting to participate.

• cryptid
    10 years ago

Posted by poisondartfrog 7a (My Page) on Thu, Oct 17, 13 at 7:37
    I agree, Meta Givens is the absolute best!

Totally,...and another thing, we have the movie "Superman Returns" starring Brandon Routh, with Eva Marie Saint as Martha Kent. At the start of the flick, when Supes "returns" from space after having been gone for 5 years, searching hopefully for possible survivors of his home planet's untimely demise, his crystalline spacecraft comes streaking in over the Kent farm, causing quake-like tremors before it crashes in a field. --"Yo, Cryptid, get to the freakin' point already!"-- Anyway, as the camera pans around Martha Kent's dining and kitchen area, clearly visible, next to her radio, are Meta Givens' volumes of her "Modern Encyclopedia of Cooking." - Signifying what? Nothing, really, just something I picked-up on is all. :) - One of Roy's super fave movies that he likes to watch over, and over, and over, and over, and over,...--sigh--

This post was edited by cryptid on Fri, Oct 25, 13 at 0:04

• aquadragonfly
    10 years ago

Hi all,
    I have been BUSY and still fighting some kind of stomach thing.
    It has gotten to the point it comes and goes....it is just pain now though, like when you have a virus BUT I KNOW a virus doesn't last this long....it's just weird in all shades of colors!

cryptid, lay off that candy! Even artificial sweeteners are bad for you! When you posted it has moltital in it I thought ut-oh, stomach issues and then you posted it. I had read before some can't tolerate that either. Slenda isn't the greatest thing either, I used to use a lot of it, but have read some really bad things about it. It just isn't worth it to me.
    I loved your getting to the point about the movie, funny how we can catch certain things in them isn't it.

LEGALLYHEIDI, honey, I have a huge request: IF at all possible, could I get Indigo Rose tomato seeds? If any are still up for grabs. I just read something about them and I think I need to incorporate them into my diet. If at all possible please ma'am, if none are available I understand :) Thank you hon!

• legallyheidi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yup.

• Belinda Sisemore
    10 years ago

Not happy at all about this swap: my seeds came back today after i WAS EMAILED AND TOLD THEY HAD GOT THERE: THE TRACKING NUMBER SHOWED THEY GOT THERE, AND SOMEONE HAD THE NERVE TO TAKE OUT MY MONEY AND RETURN POSTAGE OUT OF THE BAG. AND NOT ONE WORD FROM THE PERSON RUNNING THIS SWAP.