Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elliesfun

new: mnf's - 3rd annual "autumn's favorite"

elliesfun
11 years ago

Welcome to MNF's 3rd annual "Autumn's Favorite" seed swap. This swap is for flowers, shrubs or vines that are still blooming during the fall season. I realize that fall is different across the United States so let's just say blooming from August till it freezes or gets colder. I will be gone for 10 days in September on vacation but I will be taking my laptop so that I can answer emails. We will also be playing a game.

DETAILS OF THE SWAP:

1. You can send up to 50 packets of seeds but no more than 3 of the same variety.

2. Make a list of the seed varieties that you are including. Gardeners love variety, so try to include as many different ones as you are able. Seeds should not be older than 2010.

3. Please send your seeds in a BUBBLER MAILER, and I will reuse the envelope to return your seeds to you. Sign up's are until September 18th. The deadline for seeds to reach me will be September 31st and I will try to have them sorted and back to you by the middle of October.

4. IN YOUR BUBBLER MAILER:

. Include your seeds

. A label with your return address

. Enough postage to get your package back to you

. A list of the seeds you are including (Makes it easier for me to sort.)

OK everyone...are you ready to join the swap? We all like seeds whether we plant them or not. Sometimes I think it's just the idea of having those seed packets to look at over the long winter months and thinking just where I can tuck this plant into that space.

Don't forget after signing up to send me an email asking for my address. In your email include your full name, mailing address and GardenWeb name.

OK...You know you wanna join!

Ellie

Comments (139)

• primrose1x3
    11 years ago

jlee - loved that shimmering, floaty dragon and all the other art - wouldn't it be wonderful if they could keep the polar bear one up during snow fall? Maybe next July/August exhibit the dragon with some evaporating dried ice to add spirit of dragon's lair to a heat wave?

Smitties - hoping your kitty gets all better soon

karen

• smitties
    11 years ago

Ok, today is going to be a two word Bingo.

Dianthus Passion

Gaillardia Fiesta

Hope this helps getting those words crossed off.

Happy Monday everyone, Margo

• jlee160
    11 years ago

I mailed my seeds today:) I also have 5 bingo words:) The art was really neat to see- it wasn't all recycled things either- there were a lot of sculptures and paintings- some interactive. It is really cool- because you can talk to the artist about their piece. Have a good night!

• elliesfun
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Can't believe that Monday comes around so soon. Not enough weekend for me. Today was the dentist day with 2 new crowns being done. Oh Yipee!

Received 4 packets of seeds in the mail today. Those that have sent their seeds now are:

ftxgardeningmama
    cryptid / Received seeds
    poisondartfrog / received seeds
    Jlee160
    Smitties / Received seeds
    dem_pa / Received seeds
    Alwaysagarden / received seeds
    Kristlindgren / Received seeds
    primrose / Received seeds
    pumkingal / Received seeds
    aquadragonfly
    beautifulreddahlias / Received Seeds
    farmergirl2009

Still awaiting seeds from ftxgardeningmama and aquadragonfly. Jlee160's have been mailed. Hopefully by this weekend I will be able to start sorting. It's been a long day.

Ellie

• smitties
    11 years ago

Tuesdays word - Clematis Mrs. N. Thompson

Hope everyone is checking their lists.

Margo

• smitties
    11 years ago

Good Wednesday to all. Today is another bonus word day so you get two words.

Dianthus Candy Floss

Iberis Snowflake

Here is a list of the words picked so far so you can double check. Is anyone close to a win?

Coneflower Hot Papaya
    Dicentra King of Hearts
    Lupine Tutti Frutti
    Gaillardia Tojaker
    Salvia May Night
    Veronica Pink Goblin
    Shasta Daisy Snow Lady
    Papaver Fruit Punch
    Achillea Summer Pastels
    Brunnera Jack Frost
    Trollis Golden Queen
    Goldenrod Golden Baby
    Dianthus Passion
    Gaillardia Fiesta
    Clematis Mrs. N. Thompson
    Dianthus Candy Floss
    Iberis Snowflake

Anxiously awaiting the call of Bingo from one of our lucky players.

Margo

• smitties
    11 years ago

Wow, where is everyone? There is barely any conversation going on here. Hope all is ok.

Today the word for Bingo is -Scabiosa Black Knight

Waiting for word on how everyone is doing.

Margo

• kristlindgren
    11 years ago

I have 8 words so far. How is everyone else doing?

Kris

• dem_pa
    11 years ago

Six words so far. We have to match 20 to get BINGO. You only called 20 words so far. lol.

Have a great day everybody.
    {{gwi:277930}}

Don

• cryptid
    11 years ago

Howdy, howdy! Yesterday we planted out Broccoli, Kale, Cauliflower and Purple Pak Choi. - 7 words, here, so far! :)

• smitties
    11 years ago

It's Friday and I am off all weekend. My kitty went back to the vet yesterday because she was having difficulty walking and tested negative for feline leukemia and aids so I am feeling generous so will call three words today.

Campanula Blue Chips
    Kerria Japonica Golden Guinea
    Salvia Coral Nymph

Hope this helps get things more exciting.

My kitty is feeling better today. They still think she has a bad virus but I am concerned. This has been going on for two weeks. I know the vet has done what can be done so far. I have paid 145 dollars between the two visits so I know he is cautious about what he does to figure this out. She keeps spiking a fever so he gives her injections to bring it down as it is about all he can do for now. It is just wait and see.

Happy Friday all. Margo

• elliesfun
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Good frosty morning everyone,

We have had frost every morning now for the past several days. I guess fall is here. Went out and picked the tomatoes that were hit and canned 70 quarts of juice the past 2 days. Have several box's in the greenhouse and hoping they will ripen before spoiling.

Didn't get the pears picked but will go out and check this morning. They are just really slow at getting ripe. Thank goodness there aren't too many. First year those 2 trees have produced any.

I am still waiting for jlee's package and then I will start to sort. Have not heard back from the other 2 participents. Going to have Margo choose 2 words each day now. I didn't think it would be that hard.

Sure glad this is friday. I need a few long days to work on the yard projects before winter hits. Don love that picture. When my grandaughter comes this sunday I am going to have her show me how to post pictures. She showed me how to do it on the laptop but alias the laptop doesn't work but I did drop it off to see what it would take to fix. Might be cheaper to get a new one.

Well have a great day everyone!

Ellie

• alwaysagarden
    11 years ago

Margo I sure hope your kitty pulls through. Must be heartbreaking to watch her sick like this. Will be saying some prayers for her.
    So far 8 bingo words.
    Ellie we are still in the 80's in Northern Calif. I'm not a heat person and this has been a very long hot summer, now fall. Am ready for some frosty mornings..please send this way! Also can use alot of rain here.
    Well time to make some morning coffee... have a great day all. :)

• smitties
    11 years ago

Today words Coreopsis red shift
    Four O'clocks Red glow

Hope this helps add some more to your lists.

Margo

• jlee160
    11 years ago

up to ten:)

• smitties
    11 years ago

Red Hot Poker Fire Dance
    Four O'clocks Salmon Sunset

Gardening is over here with a predicted freeze tonight. Here comes winter.

Margo

• elliesfun
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Happy Sunday to everyone!

I have all the packages ready to be mailed on Monday and then discovered the post office isn't opened so it will be Tuesday before it's mail...sorry.

Most people are racking pine needles out of their yards but yesterday and today I will be out in the woods racking them and having them hauled in. I use them to put down between raised gardening boxes so that when I am out working in the garden after I water or it rains, I am not walking in mud. Works pretty nice but after about a year of walking on the needles they are so broken down I need to replace.

I could buy bark but that would probably cost me up to $300 for what I need so free is better. I will get them a gift card for hauling the needles over to my house.

Hopefully today we will get done and I can finish putting it around the box's and then that project is done for the fall. Yipee! I get to mark one thing off my to do list.

I hope the bingo goes faster now with more words crossed off each day. Have a wonderful Sunday!

Ellie

• smitties
    11 years ago

Oh boy, we didn't get our first frost, we went straight to a freeze. I didn't even look at my gardens yet. I am not ready.

Kitty had a great weekend and was back to normal yesterday. Today, she is back to limping so I have no idea what the heck is going on. She doesn't seem warm with a fever but it is early yet. We will have to keep an eye on her. If we suspect a fever, we can go pick up some meds but I don't understand why the limp.

Today the words are

Gaillardia Yellow Plume
    Heuchra Melting Fire

Margo

• jlee160
    11 years ago

we froze last night as well :( Atleast most of the yard did- a couple areas look ok. I am bummed.
    Up to 13 words though:)

• smitties
    11 years ago

Digitalis Pam's Choice

Gaillardia Gallo Peach

• cryptid
    11 years ago

10 words, here. - Having cold nights and mornings, still. No frost or ice though, yet, thank goodness. I really feel for those of you being hit with the sudden freeze.

• dem_pa
    11 years ago

12 BINGO words.

My cat Shadow laid in the afternoon sun.

then watched as I raked maple leaves.

Don

• elliesfun
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi everyone,
    Today I mailed out all the seed packages. Should be getting in a few days. Will mail each of you a note. Thank you all for joining.

With 2 words everyday drawn, we should have a winner shortly. First one to post is the winner. Have a great week everyone.

Ellie

• smitties
    11 years ago

Don, your Shadow looks like our Joey the black cat.

Today Dianthus Fire Star

Coneflower pink double delight

Margo

• smitties
    11 years ago

Good morning,

Agastache Blue Fortune
    Spirea Bridal Wreath

• alwaysagarden
    11 years ago

7 more words and I will have a bingo. Don your cat Shadow is beautiful!!

Cindy

• jlee160
    11 years ago

need 5 more:)
    I am not ready for winter produce- store bought lettuce and tomatoes... yuck!we do however, still have a year round farmers market that sells root veggies through the winter, but I will miss my tomatoes:(

• jlee160
    11 years ago

received seeds today- thanks you everyone:)

• cryptid
    11 years ago

Cindy, just 7 more words for me, also! - Received my big ol' packet of seeds today, too! Wow, so many uber kewl new flower varieties to grow! Thanks a bunch, everyone, and especially you, Ellie, for hosting this fun swap! I mean, I actually managed to get in on a BINGO game this time! :)

• smitties
    11 years ago

Congratulations on another swap well done Ellie. Received my packed envie today and there was a great selection of seeds inside. Thanks for the great hosting job. Now to get a Bingo winner.

Margo

• primrose1x3
    11 years ago

Ellie - received my envie today, and there's a broad enough range of color in there to romp around the palette several times - many thank yews - karen

• dem_pa
    11 years ago

I too received my envelope with seeds. Thanks to all who shared their seeds. Thanks too to a great hostess.

I need 7 words.

Don

• smitties
    11 years ago

Good Friday everyone.

Shasta Daisy Banana Cream
    Spiderwort Concord Grape

Margo

• smitties
    11 years ago

Frost here last night. Time to get out there and harvest what it ready.

With a weekend bonus, here are 3 words today.

Papaver Danish Flag
    Papaver Danebrog Lace
    Rudbeckia Cappuchino

Have a great weekend and I hope it is the weekend for a Bingo winner.

Margo

• poisondartfrog
    11 years ago

I received my package yesterday containing a wide variety of seeds. Thank you Ellie, and all of those who send such nice selections.
    Alana

• smitties
    11 years ago

Happy Sunday all. Warmer here with lots of wind. Rain later with the possibility of strong storms.

dianthus Brilliancy
    California poppy coppper pot
    Palargonium Raspberry Ripple

Good luck as we get closer.

Margo

• elliesfun
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well here it is Sunay again. Weeks sure go by fast don't they. We can hardly wait until Friday and then before you know it, it's Monday again. Oh well, I guess thats life!

Hopefully we should have a bingo winner at least by the first part of the week.

I have another big dentist apt tomorrow so going to stop by and check on my laptop to see just what the matter is. Isn't it funny that when you don't have something for awhile how you miss it.

I am asking for prayers for my cousin whom I spent 10 days with in September. She went in for a fractured hip, they did surgery and then a lab test came back and she has bone cancer. Then did a whole body scan and she also is in stage 4 for breast cancer in both breasts. Doesn't look good. This week the doctors are going to decide on just what to do if anything. I know she could use lots of prayer support at this time. Thank you.

Looks like rain today so think I will stay inside and get some work done. House sure needs it. Have a great day!

Ellie

• smitties
    11 years ago

Ellie, you have my prayers for your cousin. I am sorry to hear she has to go through this. My best to you and your family. Margo

• smitties
    11 years ago

Good morning. Two more words. Please remember the first one to post BINGO is the winner provided the words chosen are verified to be the winning words.

Dianthus Black Magic
    Snapdragon Black Prince

Do we have a winner today?

• jlee160
    11 years ago

Bingo!

• elliesfun
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Congrats! Finally a bingo. Sending you an e-mail to make sure I have your address correctly and will try to get mailed today. Thanks everyone who joined in on the bingo and the swap. And most of all, thanks to Margo for taking over for me.

Ellie

• jlee160
    11 years ago

Thanks Ellie!! Thanks For Hosting- and thanks to Margo for helping out as well:)

• jlee160
    11 years ago

Thanks Ellie!! Thanks For Hosting- and thanks to Margo for helping out as well:)

• smitties
    11 years ago

Yeah, a winner!!!! Congratulations to Jlee. Thanks to everyone who participated in Autumns favorite. Thanks to Ellie for hosting and it was a job well done.

Margo

• alwaysagarden
    11 years ago

Received my seeds this past Saturday, so sorry been busy and just now getting a chance to write. Thank you Ellie for a wonderful seed swap and congrats to Jlee on winning the bingo.

Cindy

• cryptid
    11 years ago

BIG OL' CONGRATS, Jlee!! :) - I'm still three words shy...LOL! Just happy I joined-in playing, this time. ;)

• cryptid
    11 years ago

OMG, Ellie! Sending up prayers for your besieged cousin! Elly's bout with uterine cancer, last September, was the absolute scariest thing she & I have ever been through! Whenever I actually thought about it, while Elly was away up north in Springfield for eight days (with her mother, sister and brother, while I remained here with our autistic son), to have her uterus removed, etc., I would personally become physically ill. - God bless and comfort you all!

• smitties
    11 years ago

Cryptid, so glad Ellie is doing well. I cannot imagine what going through something like that would be.

Margo

• kristlindgren
    11 years ago

I recieved my seeds on Saturday, Thanks to everyone! Thank you for hosting this was an awesome swap!

Kris

• jlee160
    11 years ago

Elli- OH MY GOODNESS- thank you so much!!!!!I received my box last night- well I actually didn't see it until this morning. I did not expect that- Ellie sent me 8 varieties of daylilies! Thanks You!