Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
new: mnf's - 3rd annual "autumn's favorite"

Posted by farmergirl2009 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 1, 12 at 0:14

Welcome to MNF's 3rd annual "Autumn's Favorite" seed swap. This swap is for flowers, shrubs or vines that are still blooming during the fall season. I realize that fall is different across the United States so let's just say blooming from August till it freezes or gets colder. I will be gone for 10 days in September on vacation but I will be taking my laptop so that I can answer emails. We will also be playing a game.

DETAILS OF THE SWAP:
1. You can send up to 50 packets of seeds but no more than 3 of the same variety.
2. Make a list of the seed varieties that you are including. Gardeners love variety, so try to include as many different ones as you are able. Seeds should not be older than 2010.
3. Please send your seeds in a BUBBLER MAILER, and I will reuse the envelope to return your seeds to you. Sign up's are until September 18th. The deadline for seeds to reach me will be September 31st and I will try to have them sorted and back to you by the middle of October.
4. IN YOUR BUBBLER MAILER:
. Include your seeds
. A label with your return address
. Enough postage to get your package back to you
. A list of the seeds you are including (Makes it easier for me to sort.)

OK everyone...are you ready to join the swap? We all like seeds whether we plant them or not. Sometimes I think it's just the idea of having those seed packets to look at over the long winter months and thinking just where I can tuck this plant into that space.

Don't forget after signing up to send me an email asking for my address. In your email include your full name, mailing address and GardenWeb name.

OK...You know you wanna join!

Ellie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new: mnf's - 3rd annual "autumn's favorite"

Count me in please :) I have plenty of flowering vines and flowers right now that I have been collecting seeds from!

o

Welcome txgardeningmama and being the first to sign up. It's like a fall day today being 20 degrees cooler. I heard there's talk of frost tonight. Sure hope not. Haven't had any ripe tomatoes yet and there's lots coming on. I have a few plants to harvest seeds from yet but I don't think they are quite ready.

Ellie

o

Definitely in for this one! And waddaya know,...I'm actually the 2nd to sign up! - Figuring out which Fall veggies we want to plant. Weather here in southern Oregon is fairly mild at the moment.- Later! :)

o

Definitely in for this one! And waddaya know,...I'm actually the 2nd to sign up! - Figuring out which Fall veggies we want to plant. Weather here in southern Oregon is fairly mild at the moment.- Later! :)

o

Welcome Cryptid to this swap. It's always fun to see what everyone is planting. By the way, how did your garden grow this year? This is the 2nd year in a row that mine is awful...was just to cold and wet again this spring and early summer I guess. But it was a very good year for berries. Guess we can't have it all!

Ellie

o

Sign me up, too.
Alana

o

Welcome Alana to the swap.
Those that have signed up so far are:

txgardeningmama
cryptid
poisondartfrog

Before I leave on vacation I will post the game. And its going to be an easy one (at least for me) since I am getting so stressed about getting everything done including some canning/freezing.

Ellie

o

Count me in on this one:)

o

Count me in on this one:)

o

It looks like things are posting twice for some reason.

Ellie, count me in even though I really don't need any seeds but what the heck, can never pass on a good seed swap. Let me know if you need any help while you are gone.

Margo

o

Ellie, our gardening efforts weren't particularly fruitful, either, partly due to similar weather conditions as yours (followed by a sudden hit of triple digits), and partly because we just didn't get as much planted as we otherwise wanted to. A lot of the time we simply didn't have the energy and motivation. Still, we have peppers (Hungarian Hot Yellow Wax), flowers and a few other things doing fairly well. Our Raspberries (red and gold) could be doing better (too much shade, anymore, apparently), but oh well. Our Strawberries (Ever Bearing and Alpine), OTOH, are doing really good, though. You can get Blackberries all over the place around here (Oregon state weed, LOL!).

o

Ellie, I have a question I need answered before signing up. Most of the seeds I have available would be coneflowers, but they are of different types. I have clasping yellow, raspberry parfait, hot papaya, magnus, purpurea, etc.
Here's my question: Can I send in 3 trades of each variety, or would I be limited to just 3 trades of coneflowers, whatever the type?
I can send in a few other kinds of seeds, but the coneflowers would be the main thing I have available.

On a side note, if anyone wants to do some side-trading for coneflower seeds, hit me up and let me know what you have to trade...lol. People with helenium, tall marigolds, and other coneflower varieties will go to the head of the line!

Dan

o

Thank you for joining Jlee160 and Smitties (Margo). I will add you both to the list. So far we have the following that have signed up.

txgardeningmama
cryptid
poisondartfrog
Jlee160
Smitties

I don't know why sometimes it posts twice. On another site mine posted 3 times. I couldn't believe it.

Don't forget to email me asking for my address. Margo I will let you know if I will be needing help. Even though I will be gone alot while on vacation I will answer emails when we get back to wherever we will be staying that evening. I would really appreciate it if everyone would keep visiting on this site. Thanks everyone for your patience.

Ellie

o

Thanks Dan for bringing to my attention. Yes, you can have several different coneflowers, dianthus, etc. as long as you send in only 3 of each variety or should we amend that to maybe 6 of each variety if it is a newer variety. I should have stated that from the beginning. Would everyone be in agreement with sending in more for newer varieties? Let me know what you think.

Ellie

o

Thanks for clearing that up for me Ellie. Count me in then...lol! I'll send you an e-mail with my info once I'm done here. While working out in my yard today I discovered more seed-bearing plants than I thought I had. Don't you just love surprises?
Dan

o

Welcome Dan...yes I love surprises also but sometimes it's slugs. I hate those things. This spring I had planted a new bed and not realizing that plants do grow. Some were so covered by others that they didn't even grow much. Some even died since they didn't get water or sun. I had bought alot of plants also this year but there wasn't any seed to harvest. Maybe next year. Shall add you to the list.

Ellie

o

I have a hard time remembering to allow for growth too. When I'm planting a new bed I tend to put the new plants too close together because I don't like a lot of space between them. I'm going to have to be careful now though, my younger sister is moving back from the Mayo Clinic, and has decided that I'm going to be her landscaper. Apparently I'm not just consulting on which plants to put where, but she wants me to do the digging, lifting, etc. Has she got a surprise in store! I don't mind helping her with her yard, but I don't remember bidding on this job...lol! Ah well, it'll be good to have her just a short drive away, and I figure we'll work on her yard together. Most of her yard is flat, no trees, and a mix of full sun to partial shade. Talk about starting off with a blank slate!
I think I'll use most of the seeds from this swap in her yard. We'll see!
Dan

o

Dan, how nice to have your sister nearby. It is also nice you are willing to help her out with gardening. She must think a lot of you skills. Yes, surprises are nice. I discovered some of my plants had second blooming periods this summer. Maybe because of the long season since spring started so early.

Planting sure is a hit or miss. I know I like to plant things close but if I don't know the height of the plant, it can mean death to another. The closeness can eliminate the growth of weeds or at least hide them.

Margo

o

Dan that is really nice of you to help your sister. If it wasn't for my sons helping me I would have to hire someone to help me. I also have a tendency to plant really close together so that the weeds don't fill in.

Since summer school has been over, I have been really busy digging out weeds and dead plants and pulling annuals out so that they don't go to seed before I get back from vacation.

There is still time to join this swap...till September 18th that is. Tomorrow or Friday morning I will post a game.

Have a great day!

Ellie

o

Dan that is really nice of you to help your sister. If it wasn't for my sons helping me I would have to hire someone.
I also have a tendency to plant really close together so that the weeds don't fill in.

Since summer school has been over, I have been really busy digging out weeds and dead plants and pulling annuals out so that they don't go to seed before I get back from vacation.

There is still time to join this swap...till September 18th that is. Tomorrow or Friday morning I will post a game.

Have a great day!

Ellie

o

Add me to the list.

I'm emailing you for your address.

Don

o

Good morning everyone. Is it starting to look like fall where you are at? It's a little chilly here..heard its suppose to get in the high 30's at night.

We have the following that has signed up:
txgardeningmama
cryptid
poisondartfrog
Jlee160
Smitties
dan_the_mailman
dem_pa

Still looking for more to sign up so that there will be more variety of seeds to receive. Tomorrow morning before I leave I shall post the game. It's going to be easy since I need something easy while on vacation.

Canned green beans yesterday but think that will be the last of them. Hopefully when I get back the tomatoes will be ready for canning. Cryptid in Oregon is getting ready for some fall vegetable planting. Does anyone else plant fall vegies?

This year I planted dry beans just to see if the yields are there and to see if it is worthwhile to plant. I am amazed at the results. Next spring I shall plant double the seeds. I use alot of beans in soups, etc. Does anyone have a variety of dry pole beans that you like?

Have a great day wherever you are! Don't forget to sign up for this swap.

Ellie

o

I planted late flat Dutch cabbage and self-blanching cauliflower seeds in July and transplanted the seedlings in August. I bought 18 broccoli plants at our local farmers market. I planted radishes, lettuce, and turnips.

I also planted contender and dragon tongue bush beans. They are blooming and the bees are enjoying the necter.

Photobucket

Don

o

Nice fall garden Don. When do you usually get your first frost since I see you are also in zone 5? I have never planted a garden this late since our first killing frost is around Sept. 15th then it turns nice again for a month. I would have to be out there every night covering everything up.

How about anyone else...do you plant a fall vegi garden?

Ellie

o

Ellie, when are you mailing out your address so we can send you our seeds?
Dan

o

Hi Ellie,
I would like very much to join! Thanks :)

Cindy

o

I wish my summer garden would turn out as lovely as Don's. No way would I try a fall garden. Keeping things going during the summer is enough for me. Once I get rid of one pesky bug, another destructive one comes along. I had a squash bug attacking my first successful crop of spaghetti squash and once I got rid of that, I got some little green spotted beetle eating up my tomatoes. Grrrrrrrrr

Ellie, I have your address is you want me to get it to everyone. I know how busy you are getting ready for your trip. Just let me know.

Margo

o

Dan I thought I did send you my email. I just tried going through the web and I didn't get anywhere. Please send me an email and I will answer that way.

Thank you for signing up Cindy (alwaysagarden). Sending you an email.

We have the following that has signed up:
txgardeningmama
cryptid
poisondartfrog
Jlee160
Smitties
dan_the_mailman
dem_pa
Alwaysagarden

Please be patient for the next 24 hours. Can't tell you how many times I have repacked the suit case. It just doesn't all fit in. Already have mailed a box. I really need to decide tonight just what I need to take not what I want to take. And I have a headache on top of it.

Have a 3 hour layover in Portland tomorrow so will try to answer emails at that time. Have a good nite.

Ellie

o

As I was getting my suitcase packed I saw the reminder to post the game. This is going to be an easy bingo one. I've listed 50 plants that I either bought or started from seed this year. Send me your list of 20 that you have picked out...don't post on the round robbin site. The first to get to 20, I will send 6 named daylilies.

Achillea Summer Pastels
Agastache Blue Fortune
Basket of Gold Golddust
Brunnera Jack Frost
California poppy Copper Pot
Campanula Blue Chips
Clematis Mrs. N. Thompson
Cone flower Pink Double Delight
Cone flower Hot papaya
Cone flower Piccolino
Coreopsis Red Shift
Dianthus Rosia Cheeks
Dianthus Passion
Dianthus Fire Star
Dianthus Cranberry Ice
Dianthus Candy Floss
Dianthus Brilliancy
Dianthus Black Magic
Dicentra King of Hearts
Digitalis Pam's Choice
Four O'Clocks Red Glow
Four O'Clocks Salmon Sunset
Gaillardia Fiesta
Gaillardia Yellow Plume
Gaillardia Tokajer
Gaillardia Gallo Peach
Gaillardia Arizona Sun
Goldenrod Golden Baby
Heuchra Melting Fire
Iberis Snowflake
Kerria Japonica Golden Guinea
Lupine Tutti-Frutti
Papaver Danish Flaig
Papaver Danebrog Lace
Papaver Fruit Punch
Pelargonium Raspberry Ripple

Red Hot Poker Fire Dance
Redbeckia Cappuccino
Salvia "May Night"
Salvia Coral Nymph
Scabiosa Black Knight
Shasta Daisy Gold Rush
Shasta Daisy Snow Lady
Shasta Daisy Marconii
Shasta Daisy Banana Cream
Snapdragon Black Prince

Spiderwort Concord Grape
Spirea Bridal Wreath
Trollis Golden Queen
Veronica Pink Goblin
There is still plenty of time for anyone else to sign up for the swap. I have a 3 hour lay-over in Portland so shall check emails then.

Ellie

o

Ellie, when you send your mailing address, put something like "HEY DAN!" in the subject, will you? That'll grab my attention so I don't delete it thinking it's spam, which could've very well happened to the first one. Who knows? I'll e-mail you my bingo list and you should just be able to hit reply. ***keeping fingers crossed***
Dan

o

Ellie, I am thinking you may not have had any internet service on the layover because there was no contact. No worry, we will keep things going while you enjoy your long needed vacation. I truly hope you have a super time.

Dan, if you didn't get Ellie's address, let me know as I have it. Just email me.

I am on my way to the garden which I have been neglecting a bit lately. Friday, I went to an open house at the greenhouse our store uses when we sell plants in the spring. They had perennials for a dollar in one greenhouse and dianthus for 2 dollars (gallon size), so just had to get everything I didn't need. 14 plants in all. How do we stop this addiction???? This place was amazing. I can't tell you how many greenhouses they had other than to say they were in alphabet order and several numbers in each alphabet. The highest I saw in letter was I and the highest number I saw was 14 so can't tell you how many they actually had. The nice people there took us to several greenhouses on carts. Tons of fun and a great lunch with a free rosemary plant to remember our fun.

Gotta get outside, Margo

o

I also have not gotten her addy- will someone please send it to me:) thanks!

o

Ok, I just wrote a long post and it disappeared. I shall try again.

I received an email from Ellie's daughter today and here is the content.

"I got a call from my mom. She is having a great time in California. Little problem though is that she can't get on the internet right now. She asked me to send you an email to take over the seed exchange and answer emails. I hope this isn't a problem, I can't seem to walk her through fixing her computer issue from here. She will be back on the 17th, but I will try to get a family member down there to see what is going on with the computer."

I assured her this would be no problem for me so I am going to take care of things for her until she gets back. If anyone has any questions, please contact me. Until Ellie gets back, I will be sending her address to any new sign ons. We still have plenty of time to join so please don't hesitate.

I have contacted her daughter about taking on Bingo so please send you words to me. I will be trying to contact all of you tomorrow to follow up.

Thanks, Margo

o

Hey Margo. I sent my bingo list to her from GW and forgot to keep myself a copy. The one I send you won't match the one I sent Ellie. Will that be a problem? Maybe I should just skip this game.
Nice of you to step in,
Alana

o

Good morning all. I believe I have contacted everyone personally about sending Bingo words to me. You will be sending your seeds to Ellie as she will be returning on the 17th.

I will make the 18th the final day for receiving Bingo words as that is also the deadline for signing up.

Those of you lurking or thinking of joining, come on in. This has been a fun one in the past as it is always great to receive surprises and my return package was packed with great varieties last year. Just sign up today and I will be in contact with you.

Thanks, smitties

o

Margo, I'm going to bow out of this swap. The post office just sprung a rural route evaluation on us (that'll change the ol' paycheck...grrrr!), so with that, my sister moving here and needing help to get settled in (thankfully she and the two dogs made it just fine), and some other family stuff coming up in the next few weeks, I'm feeling the need to reduce, reduce, reduce my commitments, know what I mean? I'll be dropping in from time to time if I can to check in on everyone though. I've missed the MNFers!
Dan

o

Dan, sorry to hear that. You will be missed but glad you will be checking in.

Members signed up:

txgardeningmama
cryptid
poisondartfrog
Jlee160
Smitties
dem_pa
Alwaysagarden

And don't forget to send me your words for Bingo. I have listed them below for your convenience.

Alana, did you get my email? If you don't mind, just choose a new set of 20 words and we will use those for Bingo.

Achillea Summer Pastels
Agastache Blue Fortune
Basket of Gold Golddust
Brunnera Jack Frost
California poppy Copper Pot
Campanula Blue Chips
Cone flower Pink Double Delight
Cone flower Hot papaya
Cone flower Piccolino
Coreopsis Red Shift
Dianthus Rosia Cheeks
Dianthus Passion
Dianthus Fire Star
Dianthus Cranberry Ice
Dianthus Candy Floss
Dianthus Brilliancy
Dianthus Black Magic
Dicentra King of Hearts
Digitalis Pam's Choice
Four O'Clocks Red Glow
Four O'Clocks Salmon Sunset
Gaillardia Fiesta
Gaillardia Yellow Plume
Gaillardia Tokajer
Gaillardia Gallo Peach
Gaillardia Arizona Sun
Goldenrod Golden Baby
Heuchra Melting Fire
Iberis Snowflake
Lupine Tutti-Frutti
Papaver Danish Flaig
Papaver Danebrog Lace
Papaver Fruit Punch
Pelargonium Raspberry Ripple

Red Hot Poker Fire Dance
Redbeckia Cappuccino
Salvia "May Night"
Salvia Coral Nymph
Scabiosa Black Knight
Shasta Daisy Gold Rush
Shasta Daisy Snow Lady
Shasta Daisy Marconii
Snapdragon Black Prince

Spiderwort Concord Grape
Spirea Bridal Wreath
Trollis Golden Queen
Veronica Pink Goblin

Come on everyone, let's surprise Ellie by making this big!!!!! Sign up and I will send you Ellie's address.

Smitties

o

Thanks Margo. This morning while I was at work my mother called and asked if I had tomorrow off. Dad has to go to the dentist and she's thinking she might need some help getting him into the car and then into the house (he hates pain and tends to ask for the gas...lol! just like me!). I didn't have the day off when I went to work, but I do now. I guess I'll be starting my birthday weekend a day earlier than planned... But, I wouldn't have it any other way. They've always been there for me, so I'm gonna always be there for them. I'm glad my supervisor at work understands, he's been pretty helpful in letting me take time off when I need to.

Oh! I just remembered something. Someone e-mailed me about a sidetrade of seeds, and I can't remember who it was and of course I accidently deleted their e-mail. If they'd still like to do some trading, e-mail me again, okay?

Everyone have a good evening!
Dan

o

Hi Ellie, will be sending you my seeds this week. Hope you are having a wonderful time on your vacation!

Cindy :)

o

I mailed mine Monday, or was that yesterday? Anyway, they are mailed.
Alana

o

Hey, anyone out there who still wants to join, you still have time.

Current members signed up to do the Autumns favorite are

txgardeningmama
cryptid
poisondartfrog
Jlee160
Smitties
dem_pa
Alwaysagarden

I have received Bingo words from the following,

alwaysagarden
cryptid
poisondartfrog
Jlee
dem_pa

txgardeningmama, if you have sent your bingo words, please resend because I don't have them. Thanks

Won't be long til Ellie gets back and lets those of you who have sent seeds know they have arrived.

Smitties

o

OK Margo, quit twisting my ARM!!! I wasn't going to sign up because most all seeds I have available are veggies but you twisted my arm so hard I decided I may as well jump right on in! However, if no one is interested in veggies let me know I will bow out :)

I will pick my bingo words and send them to you....I will send them shortly.

OH geeze, bought time to go fix supper....

:) Aqua

o

OPPSY, just read the rules again, forgot it was for flowers, shrubs and vines....I will see what I can come up with for those!!!

:D DITZY

o

I would like to join please. This would be the first round robin I have done in a couple of years. I joined the back to school round robin also. I stopped trading for some time and really starting to pick things back up agian. It is like a bad habit that won't go away, just can't quit. Anyways can't wait to get my package, just like christmas your mailbox. Even comes gift wrapped with a bubble mailer!

Kristine

o

Aqua, I hope you can find some flower seeds to send in. It doesn't matter how little you send, you will receive just as many packs back. I am hoping to send a few extra to Ellie so there may be bonuses.

Kristine, I will be sending you an email shortly.

Hope everyone has a nice weekend. Margo

o

Hi Smittie - I'd love to join, Autumn flowers are my favorites, and I just sent you an email.

o

Primrose, I sent an email but received some sort of request that had to be done first. I did it but it said it failed. Did you get my email. Margo

o

Hi Margo,

Yes, I received your email and answered it. I think my spam system sent you that note, but I have put your email in my address book, so we should be able to email okay in the future.

Apologies for being such a 'pooter dinosaur,
karen

o

Ok, those who are sending in seeds to Ellie so far are,

txgardeningmama
cryptid
poisondartfrog
Jlee160
Smitties
dem_pa
Alwaysagarden
Kristlindgren
primrose

Still waiting on a few Bingo lists. First word is on the 19th.

We still have a couple of days before deadline so please join in. Ellie will be back in a couple of days so be sure to get your seeds to her asap. She would like all the bubble mailers by the 31st and I am sure she will verify those she has received when she returns.

Happy Sunday. Margo

o

Ok I was lurking,,Sign me up please,, I have been so busy this year, Planted a new bed again this year,,making crafts and selling at flea markets,,right now making grapevine wreaths,,I will email Ellie,,
Hi all hope you all had a great summer..Lisa

o

Hello Lisa, you are officially added to the list. I will send you Ellie's address via email.

Margo

o
RE: mnf's - 3rd annual "autumn's favorite"

Hurry, hurry, tomorrow is the last day for sign ups for Autumn's favorites. Those who have not sent Bingo words, send them by tomorrow night. :)

Ellie, where are you............? We miss you.

Margo

o

Hi everyone,
I am so glad to be home. My laptop still does not work...its a good thing that I have a desk top to use now that I am home. Maybe it got dropped since I did check it in. I even missed my flight from Oakland this morning. I am not wanting to do any traveling for a long time now.

Thank you Margo for helping me with the swap. Right now I am not even sure where we are at but tomorrow morning I will get up early and go through the emails.

OK....TOMORROW IS THE LAST DAY to sign up for the swap and also I need your bingo items. So tired...will write more tomorrow when I can think.

Ellie

o

Just wanted to post I guess I am gonna have to pass this one up because I don't think I will have anything to send by the time the deadline arrives. Thanks though, hope y'all have a fantastic swap :)...

I will be lurking to see what everyone gets....

o

Welcome back Ellie. Sorry about your computer.

Aqua, are your sure you don't want to join in? We have til the end of the month for Ellie to get them and you don't have to send many. You get back as many as you send and often there are extras. I myself do not want as many back as I am sending so will be asking Ellie to spread them around.

Rained all night and there were even thunderstorms which was enjoyable. Nothing like a good thunderstorm in the night.

Enjoy your day. Margo

o

Thanks Margo, I really wanted to participate but I am afraid I won't have any to send in, if I do it will be a small amount I am afraid. I have a friend who (is a member of GW) is going to send me some of her's from her plants but she said she is waiting on one to dry I particularly want an I am not sure I will get those in time. IF I am able to get those I will have a nice assortment, if not it will be a merger amount. If Ellie is ok with a small assortment then I will join, I will wait to see what Ellie says about it.

Ellie, is this alright with you?
If so let me know and I will send you my word list :)

Oh I have a question, do gourds count?

We have been getting good heavy rains off an on since yesterday. YAY for the rain, only wish we had our dammed up area dammed up! We are putting in a holding area for water so we can water our garden. Haven't gotten anything done on it since we cleaned off the spot were the actual dam part was going to go.....maybe soon. I hope to get it done an get it filled by the spring.

Thanks,
Aqua

o

I hope it's not too late to join! I would love to be a part of this swap!

o

Hi all,
It is so good to be back. I have decided 10 days is much too long to be gone...guess I like being home better. Although I did have a wonderful time with my cousin. We went to Reno and saw the hot air balloons and I won enough to pay for everything I did/went to see on vacation. Went to San Francisco The Jelly Belly factory, Sonoma wine country, the National Heirloom Exposition at Santa Rosa. Now that was something to behold. What fun! If I can figure out how to download pictures I will send.

Now back to the seed exchange. I want to officially welcome all of those that joined while I was on vacation. Aqua you have almost 2 weeks to mail your seeds. I'll add you to the list. Those that are participating are:

txgardeningmama
cryptid
poisondartfrog / received seeds
Jlee160
Smitties
dem_pa
Alwaysagarden / received seeds
Kristlindgren
primrose
pumkingal
aquadragonfly
beautifulreddahlias

Here's your last chance to join in on this swap. You have until midnight to let me know. Tomorrow the first plant will be drawn for bingo so please have those lists sent also.

Have a good evening...its so good to be home.

Ellie

o

Since we had a couple late joiners, I am waiting until this afternoon to pull the first Bingo word. That will give them a chance to mail the Bingo words to me. Please send them to me, Smitties but if you have already sent to Ellie, she will forward them on to me so no worries.

Cooler this morning. My thermostat in the house read 67 but I refuse to turn on the heat.

Margo

o

Ok, time for the first word. That word is

Coneflower Hot Papaya

Good luck to all the players.

Margo

o

Work and meetings make one later for picking a Bingo word. Sorry about the lateness. Today the word is

Dicentra King of Hearts

Will do better tomorrow.

Margo

o

Hi all,
Tried yesterday and this morning to send a message and it wouldn't go through on the desktop. The laptop doesn't work at all so shall have to take in to a repair shop and it may be cheaper to buy a new one.

Trying to post some pictures while on vacation of the National Heirloom Expo and it just doesn't work. It was awsome with all the lectures, vendors etc. Received enough FREE seeds to plant a vegie garden for the next 2 years at least. I even had my picture taken with the Gettles from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds.

Been trying to salvage what is left in the garden after the freeze which isn't much. Didn't even get to harvest much before I left on vacation. Garden was so late this year now I probably won't have to do much except haul over to the shreder. Pretty sad indeed.

How's everyone's fall so far? Thanks again to Margo for helping me out with the exchange and bingo. Have a great day!

Ellie

o

Ellie, that is so awesome! I so wish I could go to that Expo, it would be a dream for me. I can only hope for next year!

I hope you can post pics soon, I really want to see them.

Sorry about your garden, mine was sad to say the least. Nothing grew right this year, again, I am hoping for better things next year!

o

Raining like the dickens here and I wanted to get out in the garden to harvest. Will have to wait. At least I have what I need to send to Ellie already done up. Just need to finish labeling it and get it in the mail.

Today's Bingo word

Lupine Tutti-Frutti

Margo

o

Hope everyone is remembering to check the bingo words. Today the word is

Gaillardia Tokejer

Margo

o

I have two so far:)

o

Happy Sunday all. Rain all day here yesterday and the sun is shining today. I need to get some plants in the ground so hope it warms up. Was forced to turn on the heat this morning to take the chill out of the air. We really don't have to worry about cost because we installed a geothermal system a year ago. Let me tell you, that really does cut down on the cost of heating and cooling. Amazing and it is hard to explain but it does the job differently too. It maintains the temperature rather than fluctuating. I love it. I just didn't want to turn it on for the reason it is just too early in my eyes. I know they are even mentioning frost for tonight. Feel like we might be paying for the early spring.

Bingo word is Salvia "May Night"

Have a good day. Margo

o

ATTN: Ellie,...

My seeds are ready, but I still need your mailing address. Sorry you've been having computer troubles. Believe me, I totally commiserate!

o

Crypid...sending you an email.

I am totally lost without the laptop. If I have time tomorrow I am going to take it in for repairs. My desktop is so so slow...almost faster to deliver the message in person. Since it froze twice last week it then turned into the high 80's until today. Much cooler today and I think it will be that way all this week. I like it alot better when working outside.

I have decided to make gardening box's for planting vegetables in. The ground just stays too cold in the spring for planting seed. I am getting tired of replanting a couple of times and then if our fall isn't long enough, squash and melons don't mature. I was thinking that early in the spring I could staple clear plastic over the box's and get the soil warmed up too. Has anyone used gardening box's for planting everything including squash and melons?

Has anyone ever gathered the seed from the new hybrid coneflowers, planted the seed and have the same coneflower that it came from? I saved some from each and thought I would try that expermint this winter if others have had good luck with saving the seed.

Margo you have been getting some rain lately. I don't think we have had rain for over a month. Although we could used a big wind storm to get all the smoke out of the area. We have had a bunch of forest fires and the smoke is just sitting here.

Think I am going to turn in shortly...been working in the yard all day. My grandaughter and her boyfriend were here at 7:00 this am to help me in the yard. Have a good night everyone.

Ellie

o

Ellie, was wondering if you were getting smoked out. I saw an article on the news about those fires.

Bingo word - Veronica Pink Goblin

Have a good Monday, I am on my way to work. Smitties

o

Is it hard to set up solar panels? I am considering doing this to save on my heat bill ,or should I just hire someone to install them?
http://alphaboilers.org/

o

Thanks, Ellie! The package will be in the mail today!

The Fall season is definitely gaining momentum, here, with cool mornings and heated afternoons. Elly just went out to check the mail and brought in our latest issue of "Mother Earth News". Interesting cautionary article on page #90, spilling over to page #91, entitled "Warning: GE Light Bulbs Can Kill Your Chickens"...specifically referring to GE's shatter resistant "Rough Service Worklight" bulbs, coated with Teflon (aka PTFE). It was discovered that when the Teflon heats up it gives off toxic gas. Many people have light bulbs in their chicken coops to keep their birds warm during the winter, and to keep their water from freezing. Sylvania sells similar bulbs, but with a prominent red warning sticker. Just an FYI. - BTW, I currently have 3 Bingo matches. :)

Have a good one!

o

Good morning all. I am going to post two Bingo words today because I am going to be picked up early tomorrow for a trip up to Grand Rapids, Michigan to see the Fred Meijer Gardens. It is a three hour drive one way but my friend assures me it is well worth the trip.

Today's word - Shasta Daisy Snow Lady

Wednesdays word - Papaver Fruit Punch

Weather is good here after a threat of frost the night before last but I don't think it hit that low here. Want to keep my tomatoes a little longer although the tomato worm is making fast work of devouring them.

Margo

o

I mailed my seeds this morning.

Don

o

Hi everyone,
I guess I was so anxious to leave on vacation I forgot to include me in the swap. Been getting some seeds together. Lots are still blooming that didn't freeze.

I had to order more lumber for the gardening box's. I was sure I figured it right on how much we needed but still have 1/3 of the box's to build. When at the National Heirloom Expo one of the speakers was talking about gardening box's and he said if the soil you have is good you don't need to haul in anymore. Put the box's down where you want them but make sure you can get a wheel borrow through the rows. Then dig down about 6" and use the dirt between the rows. That way the box will be 6" taller. Then lay weed cloth in between the box's and use wood chips, pine needles, etc on top the weed cloth and then you will be out of the mud when the garden has just been watered. I thought that was a good idea so that is what I am doing.

I will post as the seed package's come in to let you know they have arived. Can't believe how dark it gets already, part has to do with all the fire's around here. We just need a strong wind to blow the smoke out.

Still picking blackberries. Have 47 gallons in the freezer now. Don't anyone have any good blackberry recipes that they would like to share? Also picked the plum's a couple of days ago so have 2 batches on the dehydrator's now. That will keep me busy for awhile.

Have a great evening.

Ellie

o

Good grief Ellie, that's a lot of berries. What are you going to do with them? Do you ever make jam or jelly? I know if I lived nearby, I would surely help you pick them.

Today our word is Achillea Summer Pastels

Margo

o

Margo- I hope you also went to Art prize while you were her!! It is amazing. I work in Grand Rapids, live jsut north of it.

o

Jlee, there was someone who asked if we were there for Art prize but didn't say what it was. We thought it was something private. What exactly was it?

The place was amazing, especially the children's gardens. Made we wish I had kids there with me. :)

Margo

o

Today's word is Brunnera Jack Frost.

My indoor cat, Tenny, who we found in January as a small kitten is sick. She is my baby. She hasn't been herself since Tuesday and I realized she is barely peeing in her box. I need to call the vet as soon as they open but I am really scared of what might be wrong.

Ellie, I am planning to go to the post office but I know you will understand if I don't make it today.

Margo

o

Good morning everyone,
Received Don's seeds yesterday. Thank you for sending. Don't forget seeds need to be mailed by September 31st.

ftxgardeningmama
cryptid / Received
Jlee160
Smitties
dem_pa
Kristlindgren
primrose
pumkingal
aquadragonfly
beautifulreddahlias
farmergirl2009

Continued to work on garden box's. That's alot of work to fill with dirt but come spring I know that I will be glad I got it done now. Still picking blackberries, also put the last batch of prunes on the dehydrator. Last night I started making melon balls to freeze. When it froze I picked most of the bigger melons and put on the concrete to see if they would ripen and yes most did. Have about 20 more to do...wouldn't you know they all riped at once. I freeze the melon balls and use for smoothies throughout the year. Kids also like them partially thawed out to eat.

Well guess I better get something done. Days are getting shorter now. Have a great day.

Ellie

o

Art Prize is AMAZING!! It started a couple of years ago. One of the DeVos's offered a $150000 prize to teh winning artist. Artists from all over displayed their work all over Grand Rapids. Artwork in in buildings, on the streets, in the sky. Things you do not normally see- I will post some pics. The contest runs for three weeks, and the public votes for their favorite. Then it is narrowed to the top 25, and voting continues. AMAZING!!

o

Photobucket dragon made from 40000 golden buttons suspended in air
Photobucketpolarbear of recycled metals
Photobucketalbert einstein
Photobucketmy girls in front of a sandcastle on the street
penguins- from wood I believe
Photobucketview of giant birds
This is truly only a few of the thousands of pieces located around th city.

o
RE: new: mnf's - 3rd annual

Here is a better pic

o

Wow, can't believe we missed that. We had no idea and certainly would have had time to explore it. May need to go back next year.

Kitty really had me scared and really isn't out of the woods yet. Vet says she has virus of some sort and rather than test for which one, just treated her first. He said the course of action would be the same. She received two huge shots and the med was mixed with fluids because of dehydration. She had a temp of 106 which is very high for a kitty. She just laid her head on my shoulder during the whole time he wasn't examining her. Just like a baby would. I just felt so bad for her. She is supposed to start feeling better in ten to twelve hours and can only have soft foods which she is turning her nose at. She meows for her hard kibble instead. She is drinking water so that is good. I am to call him Monday to let them know how she is doing and he is on call over the weekend should she get worse although he isn't anticipating that.

Ellie, I did bring Tenny home then went and mailed my package. Should be there by Monday.

Margo

o

Hi all, I have 4 bingo words so far. Those are some interesting pictures jlee. My garden didn't fair so well this year.. second in a row, not sure what the problem is.
Margo I hope your vet finds out what is wrong with your kitten and she can have a fast recovery. Ellie my mom and dad make jelly from wild blackberries picked up here (northern CA) yum, it is fantastic!
Hoping next month brings rain as it has been long hot summer and we need badly.

Cindy

o

Blackberry zucchini jam?

o

Blackberry zucchini jam?

o

Happy Saturday, word for today is Trollis Golden Queen

Margo

o

Hi All,
Received 2 packets today from Primrose and dem_pa. Still have a few more packets to receive. Don't forget that your seeds need to be mailed by Monday.

ftxgardeningmama
cryptid / Received seeds
Jlee160
Smitties
dem_pa / Received seeds
Kristlindgren
primrose / Received seeds
pumkingal
aquadragonfly
beautifulreddahlias
farmergirl2009

The weather was perfect to work outside today. Now if it can just stay that way for the coming month although we really do need rain.

jlee those are really some neat things a person can make out of junk. Would be something to see.

How's everyone coming with the bingo words? I started to dig daylilies today since the weatherman is talking about frost this coming week.

Ellie

o

5 bingo words here, so far. - Margo, perhaps dump some really hot water on some kibble till it significantly softens, then do whatever with it? At least the flavor would be the same, basically. Just a thought. Poor kitty,...poor you, dealing with it.

Still quite noticably sliding into Autumn here. Ain't no thang,...just another opportunity to keep on gardening and grow some food, etc., eh?! :)

o

Thanks cryptid for the idea. I finally gave in and gave her the kibble because she has never vomited and I think he was thinking she had. She started eating small amounts and then began thinking the soft stuff was good too but she just isn't eating much. She has just been so tired and laying around. At least there is no fever. This morning she is really vocal and I can't figure out what she wants. I just wish she would get back to her old self.

Today the word is Goldenrod-Golden Baby.

Heading to visit our college son today. He needs a little company.

Margo

o

My seeds were mailed on Saturday. Did you ever fiqure out what to do with all those blackberries? I can send you a great recipie for blackberry zucchini jam. It is the same as the strawberry zucchini recipe except change the berries and jello mixing. I did blueberry once and it was awesome! I think I may try making raspberry zucchini and see how that works out. Sounds yummy just thinking of it.

Kris

o

jlee - loved that shimmering, floaty dragon and all the other art - wouldn't it be wonderful if they could keep the polar bear one up during snow fall? Maybe next July/August exhibit the dragon with some evaporating dried ice to add spirit of dragon's lair to a heat wave?

Smitties - hoping your kitty gets all better soon

karen

o

Ok, today is going to be a two word Bingo.

Dianthus Passion

Gaillardia Fiesta

Hope this helps getting those words crossed off.

Happy Monday everyone, Margo

o

I mailed my seeds today:) I also have 5 bingo words:) The art was really neat to see- it wasn't all recycled things either- there were a lot of sculptures and paintings- some interactive. It is really cool- because you can talk to the artist about their piece. Have a good night!

o

Can't believe that Monday comes around so soon. Not enough weekend for me. Today was the dentist day with 2 new crowns being done. Oh Yipee!

Received 4 packets of seeds in the mail today. Those that have sent their seeds now are:

ftxgardeningmama
cryptid / Received seeds
Jlee160
Smitties / Received seeds
dem_pa / Received seeds
Kristlindgren / Received seeds
primrose / Received seeds
pumkingal / Received seeds
aquadragonfly
beautifulreddahlias / Received Seeds
farmergirl2009

Still awaiting seeds from ftxgardeningmama and aquadragonfly. Jlee160's have been mailed. Hopefully by this weekend I will be able to start sorting. It's been a long day.

Ellie

o

Tuesdays word - Clematis Mrs. N. Thompson

Hope everyone is checking their lists.

Margo

o

Good Wednesday to all. Today is another bonus word day so you get two words.

Dianthus Candy Floss

Iberis Snowflake

Here is a list of the words picked so far so you can double check. Is anyone close to a win?

Coneflower Hot Papaya
Dicentra King of Hearts
Lupine Tutti Frutti
Gaillardia Tojaker
Salvia May Night
Veronica Pink Goblin
Shasta Daisy Snow Lady
Papaver Fruit Punch
Achillea Summer Pastels
Brunnera Jack Frost
Trollis Golden Queen
Goldenrod Golden Baby
Dianthus Passion
Gaillardia Fiesta
Dianthus Candy Floss
Iberis Snowflake

Anxiously awaiting the call of Bingo from one of our lucky players.

Margo

o

Wow, where is everyone? There is barely any conversation going on here. Hope all is ok.

Today the word for Bingo is -Scabiosa Black Knight

Waiting for word on how everyone is doing.

Margo

o

I have 8 words so far. How is everyone else doing?

Kris

o

Six words so far. We have to match 20 to get BINGO. You only called 20 words so far. lol.

Have a great day everybody.

Photobucket

Don

o

Howdy, howdy! Yesterday we planted out Broccoli, Kale, Cauliflower and Purple Pak Choi. - 7 words, here, so far! :)

o

It's Friday and I am off all weekend. My kitty went back to the vet yesterday because she was having difficulty walking and tested negative for feline leukemia and aids so I am feeling generous so will call three words today.

Campanula Blue Chips
Salvia Coral Nymph

Hope this helps get things more exciting.

My kitty is feeling better today. They still think she has a bad virus but I am concerned. This has been going on for two weeks. I know the vet has done what can be done so far. I have paid 145 dollars between the two visits so I know he is cautious about what he does to figure this out. She keeps spiking a fever so he gives her injections to bring it down as it is about all he can do for now. It is just wait and see.

Happy Friday all. Margo

o

Good frosty morning everyone,

We have had frost every morning now for the past several days. I guess fall is here. Went out and picked the tomatoes that were hit and canned 70 quarts of juice the past 2 days. Have several box's in the greenhouse and hoping they will ripen before spoiling.

Didn't get the pears picked but will go out and check this morning. They are just really slow at getting ripe. Thank goodness there aren't too many. First year those 2 trees have produced any.

I am still waiting for jlee's package and then I will start to sort. Have not heard back from the other 2 participents. Going to have Margo choose 2 words each day now. I didn't think it would be that hard.

Sure glad this is friday. I need a few long days to work on the yard projects before winter hits. Don love that picture. When my grandaughter comes this sunday I am going to have her show me how to post pictures. She showed me how to do it on the laptop but alias the laptop doesn't work but I did drop it off to see what it would take to fix. Might be cheaper to get a new one.

Well have a great day everyone!

Ellie

o

Margo I sure hope your kitty pulls through. Must be heartbreaking to watch her sick like this. Will be saying some prayers for her.
So far 8 bingo words.
Ellie we are still in the 80's in Northern Calif. I'm not a heat person and this has been a very long hot summer, now fall. Am ready for some frosty mornings..please send this way! Also can use alot of rain here.
Well time to make some morning coffee... have a great day all. :)

o

Today words Coreopsis red shift
Four O'clocks Red glow

Hope this helps add some more to your lists.

Margo

o

up to ten:)

o

Red Hot Poker Fire Dance
Four O'clocks Salmon Sunset

Gardening is over here with a predicted freeze tonight. Here comes winter.

Margo

o

Happy Sunday to everyone!

I have all the packages ready to be mailed on Monday and then discovered the post office isn't opened so it will be Tuesday before it's mail...sorry.

Most people are racking pine needles out of their yards but yesterday and today I will be out in the woods racking them and having them hauled in. I use them to put down between raised gardening boxes so that when I am out working in the garden after I water or it rains, I am not walking in mud. Works pretty nice but after about a year of walking on the needles they are so broken down I need to replace.

I could buy bark but that would probably cost me up to $300 for what I need so free is better. I will get them a gift card for hauling the needles over to my house.

Hopefully today we will get done and I can finish putting it around the box's and then that project is done for the fall. Yipee! I get to mark one thing off my to do list.

I hope the bingo goes faster now with more words crossed off each day. Have a wonderful Sunday!

Ellie

o

Oh boy, we didn't get our first frost, we went straight to a freeze. I didn't even look at my gardens yet. I am not ready.

Kitty had a great weekend and was back to normal yesterday. Today, she is back to limping so I have no idea what the heck is going on. She doesn't seem warm with a fever but it is early yet. We will have to keep an eye on her. If we suspect a fever, we can go pick up some meds but I don't understand why the limp.

Today the words are

Gaillardia Yellow Plume
Heuchra Melting Fire

Margo

o

we froze last night as well :( Atleast most of the yard did- a couple areas look ok. I am bummed.
Up to 13 words though:)

o

Digitalis Pam's Choice

Gaillardia Gallo Peach

o

10 words, here. - Having cold nights and mornings, still. No frost or ice though, yet, thank goodness. I really feel for those of you being hit with the sudden freeze.

o

12 BINGO words.

My cat Shadow laid in the afternoon sun.

Photobucket

then watched as I raked maple leaves.

Photobucket

Don

o

Hi everyone,
Today I mailed out all the seed packages. Should be getting in a few days. Will mail each of you a note. Thank you all for joining.

With 2 words everyday drawn, we should have a winner shortly. First one to post is the winner. Have a great week everyone.

Ellie

o

Don, your Shadow looks like our Joey the black cat.

Today Dianthus Fire Star

Coneflower pink double delight

Margo

o

Good morning,

Agastache Blue Fortune
Spirea Bridal Wreath

o

7 more words and I will have a bingo. Don your cat Shadow is beautiful!!

Cindy

o

need 5 more:)
I am not ready for winter produce- store bought lettuce and tomatoes... yuck!we do however, still have a year round farmers market that sells root veggies through the winter, but I will miss my tomatoes:(

o

received seeds today- thanks you everyone:)

o

Cindy, just 7 more words for me, also! - Received my big ol' packet of seeds today, too! Wow, so many uber kewl new flower varieties to grow! Thanks a bunch, everyone, and especially you, Ellie, for hosting this fun swap! I mean, I actually managed to get in on a BINGO game this time! :)

o

Congratulations on another swap well done Ellie. Received my packed envie today and there was a great selection of seeds inside. Thanks for the great hosting job. Now to get a Bingo winner.

Margo

o

Ellie - received my envie today, and there's a broad enough range of color in there to romp around the palette several times - many thank yews - karen

o

I too received my envelope with seeds. Thanks to all who shared their seeds. Thanks too to a great hostess.

I need 7 words.

Don

o

Good Friday everyone.

Spiderwort Concord Grape

Margo

o

Frost here last night. Time to get out there and harvest what it ready.

With a weekend bonus, here are 3 words today.

Papaver Danish Flag
Papaver Danebrog Lace
Rudbeckia Cappuchino

Have a great weekend and I hope it is the weekend for a Bingo winner.

Margo

o

I received my package yesterday containing a wide variety of seeds. Thank you Ellie, and all of those who send such nice selections.
Alana

o

Happy Sunday all. Warmer here with lots of wind. Rain later with the possibility of strong storms.

dianthus Brilliancy
California poppy coppper pot
Palargonium Raspberry Ripple

Good luck as we get closer.

Margo

o

Well here it is Sunay again. Weeks sure go by fast don't they. We can hardly wait until Friday and then before you know it, it's Monday again. Oh well, I guess thats life!

Hopefully we should have a bingo winner at least by the first part of the week.

I have another big dentist apt tomorrow so going to stop by and check on my laptop to see just what the matter is. Isn't it funny that when you don't have something for awhile how you miss it.

I am asking for prayers for my cousin whom I spent 10 days with in September. She went in for a fractured hip, they did surgery and then a lab test came back and she has bone cancer. Then did a whole body scan and she also is in stage 4 for breast cancer in both breasts. Doesn't look good. This week the doctors are going to decide on just what to do if anything. I know she could use lots of prayer support at this time. Thank you.

Looks like rain today so think I will stay inside and get some work done. House sure needs it. Have a great day!

Ellie

o

Ellie, you have my prayers for your cousin. I am sorry to hear she has to go through this. My best to you and your family. Margo

o

Good morning. Two more words. Please remember the first one to post BINGO is the winner provided the words chosen are verified to be the winning words.

Dianthus Black Magic
Snapdragon Black Prince

Do we have a winner today?

o

Bingo!

o

Congrats! Finally a bingo. Sending you an e-mail to make sure I have your address correctly and will try to get mailed today. Thanks everyone who joined in on the bingo and the swap. And most of all, thanks to Margo for taking over for me.

Ellie

o

Thanks Ellie!! Thanks For Hosting- and thanks to Margo for helping out as well:)

o

Thanks Ellie!! Thanks For Hosting- and thanks to Margo for helping out as well:)

o

Yeah, a winner!!!! Congratulations to Jlee. Thanks to everyone who participated in Autumns favorite. Thanks to Ellie for hosting and it was a job well done.

Margo

o

Received my seeds this past Saturday, so sorry been busy and just now getting a chance to write. Thank you Ellie for a wonderful seed swap and congrats to Jlee on winning the bingo.

Cindy

o

BIG OL' CONGRATS, Jlee!! :) - I'm still three words shy...LOL! Just happy I joined-in playing, this time. ;)

o

OMG, Ellie! Sending up prayers for your besieged cousin! Elly's bout with uterine cancer, last September, was the absolute scariest thing she & I have ever been through! Whenever I actually thought about it, while Elly was away up north in Springfield for eight days (with her mother, sister and brother, while I remained here with our autistic son), to have her uterus removed, etc., I would personally become physically ill. - God bless and comfort you all!

o

Cryptid, so glad Ellie is doing well. I cannot imagine what going through something like that would be.

Margo

o

I recieved my seeds on Saturday, Thanks to everyone! Thank you for hosting this was an awesome swap!

Kris

o

Elli- OH MY GOODNESS- thank you so much!!!!!I received my box last night- well I actually didn't see it until this morning. I did not expect that- Ellie sent me 8 varieties of daylilies! Thanks You!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here