Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandlapper_rose

NEW: Now Time to Sign up for the 2014 Theme Garden Seed Swap

sandlapper_rose
9 years ago

It's time to join in...

Do you have a theme garden? Do you want to have a theme garden? Then this seed swap is for you! Drippy (Kim) began this annual swap in 2006 (if not earlier) and many join every year and really enjoy it. I have been hostess for it before and it's lots of fun. There will be more rules to follow and some information that will be sent to you by e-mail, but here are the main points. Most of the rest of the information involves how to designate who the seeds are for, the mailing envelopes, return postage, etc.

What's a Theme Garden:
Some people build gardens around certain themes. For example, an herb garden is a theme garden. A theme garden can be based on color (all white, all red, etc.) A theme garden might reflect the size of the plants (giant, small), the growing conditions (hot and dry, cool and moist) or it might just be fanciful - Mystery Garden, Musical Garden, Fairy Garden, or it might be a garden where the plants have animal names, etc. People who join in are very creative as are those who send in seeds based on the themes. If your intent is not obvious from the name, explain it a bit when you post.

Signing Up:
To join in, list your themes below (5 themes per person only.) Then, using e-mail, you must send me your real name, GardenWeb name, and e-mail address. I'll gather mailing addresses later. Please send the information to me with "Theme Garden" as the subject. I need that information prior to when the sign ups closing. If I don't receive it, you will not be in the swap.

Dates for Mailing:
Please list your themes by October 4th. You can begin now. You can also begin sorting the seeds you plan to send as soon as the first person signs up, but you will not mail any to me before the week of October 5. All seeds must be received by Oct. 15th so I can begin sorting and get them remailed. I should be able to complete this by the end of October and then you will see how clever everyone was in selecting seeds to go with your themes.

How many seeds?
I don't think anyone will be extremely picky about how many seeds you place in each seed packet. Just add a reasonable number. Seeds should be no more than 2 years old (harvested in 2012 or more recently). How many packets you send is up to you. Send between 1-99. However, if you are sending 99 please realize that I may not be able to be as particular in meeting your themes - although I will try.

Ready to Trade Packets:
Seeds that are sent in should be packaged in ready-to-trade individual packets; I cannot sort bulk seeds. This will be a "one-for-one swap" - meaning you will receive one packet back for each packet you send in. However, you are almost certain to get some extras! Unless what you are sending are "bonus seeds" (seeds beyond the number you wish to receive in return) - please limit any particular variety of seeds to no more than10 packets of one variety - and remember, every packet you send should match up with someone's theme. If Candy Cane Zinnias only match the theme for 2 people, do not send 10 packets of them. All types of plant seeds (flowers, vegetables, herbs, and shrubs) are welcome. If you only want vegetable seeds or only want flower seeds, you will let me know and I will honor that to the best of my ability based on what is sent in.

What about those who are new to gardening?
Join in anyway! You can always buy a few packets of seeds and mail those so you can participate. Seeds that are sent can be from your own garden (accurately labeled), from trading, or commercial.

U.S. residents only so there is no problem with seeds traveling through customs.

Let's start the fun!
Jeanne

This post was edited by sandlapper_rose on Fri, Sep 19, 14 at 10:16

Comments (150)

• EricaBraun
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Mary -- ROFL! "Back when I was a kid we had to walk 50 miles, uphill, through the snow just to get our 100lb dime bags."

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

BFF has a magnet on her fridge "When I was a kid, we had to walk a mile to have sex and do drugs". She's a grandmother.

• joyfulflowers
    9 years ago

Whaaaat?!!!! I didn't read that, did I?

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

"in the snow"

• EricaBraun
    9 years ago

Mary -- Ha! That's great!

• joyfulflowers
    9 years ago

OMG!!!! Sex in the snow!? Sounds like a liquer drink. Anyhow, doesn't sound comfortable. Sounds like it could have been a form of birth control...hehehe

• sjc48
    9 years ago

Good one, Joyful!

Jeanne, just wanted to let you know that I sent my seeds out today, should be with you by Thursday or Friday. Hope I did everything right!

Gloomy, rainy day here today, but that's okay, ya never expect much from Mondays anyway! Good day at work tho.
    Talk to ya all later,
    Shirley!

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The first seeds arrived today and they are from Joyfulflowers - perfectly packaged I might add. I am busy sorting through my own.
    I'll keep posting as more arrive. Such fun!
    Jeanne

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

I hit the one week old Walmart, and scored another TWO bags of little ziplocks, plus one of the slightly bigger ones for beans.

Mary E.

This post was edited by cottonwood468 on Mon, Oct 6, 14 at 19:58

• yotetrapper
    9 years ago

Oh this post took an unexpected but fun turn lol. Teen of the 90s here and our dime bags were packaged in seed style bags but tiny ones, like 1"x1".

• EricaBraun
    9 years ago

yotetrapper -- Thank god I'm not the only one who remembers them like that!

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

What is up with each Walmart only having two packages of seed size? Is it a loss leader to get you in the store?

Are we sending 6 x 9 bubble mailers to receive back, or bigger?

primrose 1x3 I love your Shadowlands description "Shade tolerant, livens: the shadows with smokey taupes, blackened crimsons, ethereal whites,or singed apricots".

Mary E.

This post was edited by cottonwood468 on Tue, Oct 7, 14 at 14:03

• joyfulflowers
    9 years ago

Jeanne,

Glad you received my seeds. I had a communication problem with the woman at the post office counter. I handed her my "opened" envelope and said to her, " I need to know how much in stamps to mail this, then I need you to give me twice the amount. Half the stamps need to go into the envelope and the other half on the outside of the envelope."
    She looked at me as if I spoke a foreign language, so I had to repeat everything...slowly. Well, she printed out twice the amount, placed half the postage on the envelope and proceeded to "close" it. "Oh no!" I proclaimed. "You were suppose to place the second half in the envelope". With that information repeated a third time, she had to cut open the envelope, then reseal it with tape. Meanwhile, during all this, I was afraid to look back at the faces standing on a growing line. I could just imagine daggers flying toward me. I knew I had become that one annoying person on line that everyone just wishes they were not behind. I left the post office as quickly as possible without looking behind me. .

• canyonwind
    9 years ago

joyful...don't you just love the USPS????? I have only one PO that I like to send from. They do what I want...always...and never screw up. They listen and understand what I am saying. I do not have to repeat anything! And there is never a line!

Atleast she did not (hopefully) charge you for the tape she used to reseal your bubbler. That is soon to come, I am sure!

Annie

• EricaBraun
    9 years ago

Jeanne --- I mailed my seeds off today. Please let me know when you receive them. I also have a PID number, if you need it.

• woodsidetrader
    9 years ago

package mailed this morning.
    interesting to hear about other peoples' experience with the usps.
    I thought we had the worst post office, but maybe lousy service is the new normal.

• joyfulflowers
    9 years ago

Annie and Woodstock,

I do expect it won't be long before there is a fee for placing tape on a package. The weird thing was when I told her to give me the envelope so I could do it myself, she refused saying that once they put postage on an envelope, it is in the hands of the post office and can't be returned.....LOL...rediculous, it's not like I was trying to retrieve it from a mailbox, or was I? She had the brains of one.

• pinkiris
    9 years ago

Package is on the way Jeanne ...

Jayeanne

• stefaniechamo_gw
    9 years ago

I printed out the list of everyone's themes, and I have sorted out which themes I have seeds for and am putting the group of seeds for everyone i can give seeds to in an envelope with their GW name on the front, then all of those envelopes will go inside a big bubble envelope if that is alright, I am also marking how many packets in each envelope

• SusieQsie_Fla
    9 years ago

That's what I did, too. It helped me keep track - and I certainly need all the help I can get. I don't know how you're gonna stay sane throughout this swap, Jeanne!

I'll get mine to the post office tomorrow.

~Susie

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

Is a six by nine bubble envelope big enough for the seeds to be mailed back?

Mary E.

• jensyen ( z7 MD )
    9 years ago

My seeds are on their way.

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

How exciting to see that more seeds are on the way!
    Sorry about your experience with the post office, joyfulflowers. How crazy that she wouldn't let you handle the envelope after she put the stamps on it.

Mary E. A 6 x 9" envelope is fine.

I have already started some sorting and there are some great (and interesting seeds) waiting to make a return trip.

Jeanne

• stefaniechamo_gw
    9 years ago

I mailed my envelope today yay you should recieve it monday

• canyonwind
    9 years ago

Jeanne, seeds went out yesterday (Tuesday) afternoon!!

Thanks much!

Annie

• l1oness
    9 years ago

My seeds went in the mail today as well - thank you!

Mandy

• NonnaG
    9 years ago

Hi ladies. Just checking in. Had a "ruff" day at work. lol. I will mail my seeds in the morning. I have a little lady that I help twice a month. (housekeeping) I told her about OBF. She gave me a flyer with her kind of garden. It reads:

In the garden, we must have turnips.

1. Turnip for meetings.
    2. Turnip for service.
    3. Turnip to help one another.

No garden is complete without thyme.

1. Thyme for each other.
    2. Thyme for family.
    3. Thyme for friends.

Water freely with patience and cultivate with love. There is much fruit in your garden because you reap what you sow.

I wanted to share it with you.

NonnaG

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Very nice, NonnaG!

Sheri, I received your seeds today - all nicely packaged and labeled. I'll be watching for more to arrive. I've started sorting. I figure if I work with the packets as they are delivered I won't have so much to do towards the end. We'll see how this works. Normally I wait until all the seeds arrive and do a massive sort. LOL

Jeanne

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

This is my first time packing multiples and it is a learning experience. I'm learning the shortcuts and picking up speed.

Mary E.

• Panhandle_Seed_Swap
    9 years ago

Thank you, Jeanne. Your sorting method makes sense. :) Looks like you're going to get a bunch of packages on Friday and Saturday!

Sheri

• joyfulflowers
    9 years ago

Getting excited about being able to grow new seeds from this swap. Almost feels like a "seedy Christmas." hehehe

• Pmb2005
    9 years ago

Jeanne -- My seeds are in the mail and should be there Tuesday. On the way home from the post office, I realized I forgot to put postage in the package. I have a card here I will send out with the postage tomorrow.

Promise

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Seed packages arrived today from:
    sjc48
    woodsidetrader.

Thanks, ladies. Wonderful seeds! I had to take a break from sorting to get some things done around the house, but I'll be back to sorting on Saturday or Sunday.

Jeanne

• dem_pa
    9 years ago

I maled my seeds this afternoon.

No mail on Monday. Columbus Day.

• poisondartfrog
    9 years ago

I mailed my seeds this morning. I forgot about Columbus Day, Don, thanks for the reminder. Hope they make it in time.
    Alana

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

I have misplaced my four pages of notes on the themes, with different colored highlighter on what I can send. Annoying, but it won't slow down my package. Working around it.

Mary E.

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Packages received today from:
    Erica (ericabraun)
    (jensyen)
    Mandy (I1oness)
    (yotetrapper)
    (upacreekinin)

I didn't think about Columbus Day when I set the dates. I'll be sure to allow a few extra days for delivery. If everyone will keep posting when they mail it will help me to judge when they might arrive.

I'll start to keep track on this master list also:
    Jeanne (me: sandlapper_rose) RECEIVED
    Erica (ericabraun) RECEIVED
    Sheri (panhandle_seed_swap) RECEIVED
    Promise (pmb2005) RECEIVED
    Alana (posiondartfrog)
    Shirley (sjc48) RECEIVED
    Janine (jaynine)
    (primrose1x3)
    (jensyen) RECEIVED
    Michelle (micyrey)
    (midwestfarmwife)
    (susieqsie)
    (joyfulflowers) RECEIVED
    (ishareflowers)
    (NonnaG)
    (woodsidetrader) RECEIVED
    Annie (canyonwind) RECEIVED
    Jayeanne (pinkiris)
    Susan (broweyedsusan)
    Mandy (I1oness) RECEIVED
    Mary (cottonwood468)
    (yotetrapper) RECEIVED
    (garretds7)
    (upacreekinin) RECEIVED
    (rubywing_287_06122013 3)
    (dem_pa) RECEIVED
    (stefaniechamo) RECEIVED

With those that have arrived so far, we have a total of 680 packs of seeds. I think the grand total is going to be huge! (More now - I'll update the total next week.)

I'll keep updating everyone.
    Jeanne

This post was edited by sandlapper_rose on Sat, Oct 11, 14 at 19:32

• SusieQsie_Fla
    9 years ago

Mine went out yesterday and the post office guy said it should get there on the 14th or 15th.

Thanks, Jeanne, for the words of encouragement - after I read your email, all doubts disappeared. Until I discovered one page of my list of themes hiding under the coupons on the kitchen table and then I knew why I kept thinking I had forgotten something! So now I don't know if those seeds got packed up. But I'm gonna trust that they're on their way and everything will work out in the end . . . just like you said.

So now I can only imagine you being buried in a giant pile of seed packets!

Susie

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

found it. LOL Mary E.

• garretds7
    9 years ago

Hi Jeanne, I sent mine out Friday the 10th. Thanks!

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    9 years ago

Hi Jeanne,

I sent an email through garden web yesterday asking for a mailing address. Please and Thank you!

Lisa

I was worried about the holiday too, I'm glad to hear you will allow extra time.

• primrose1x3
    9 years ago

Jeanne,

Thank you from me too for allowing extra time - much appreciated.

Karen

• rubywing_287_06122013
    9 years ago

Hi, I have requested the mailing information several times through the GardenWeb and have never received it. I guess you should probably just take my name off the list as there is no way I can get the seeds mailed in time to make the deadline.
    Peggy

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

Peggy We have to work around gw email. I just sent you an email. I'm rushing to get mine out too.

Mary E.

• midwestfarmwife
    9 years ago

Mailed mine Friday the 10th.

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Peggy and Lisa, I just re-sent the information to you by e-mail and through GardenWeb. I have no idea why the first mailing didn't reach you. Please let me know when you receive it. If you can mail Tuesday or Wednesday it will be fine. I have surprised myself by working with so many of the arrivals up to this point that I'm hoping I am a little of ahead of where I supposed my schedule might be now.

I'm sorry people are having trouble getting the message. Please check your spam folder in case it might be there. I have not gotten the e-mail or GardenWeb information from either of you that you hadn't received my address and the rest of the information so it's not being kind to us.

Meanwhile, what great seeds everyone is sending! Many of you have made it very easy for me to distribute the seeds by sending a list or otherwise labeling themes. Thanks so much. All of you are the best!

Jeanne

• jaynine
    9 years ago

Jeanne,
    Mine are in the mailbox. Hope I haven't forgotten anything.
    Janine

• jaynine
    9 years ago

duplicate post

This post was edited by jaynine on Sat, Oct 11, 14 at 20:25

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Seeds received today from:
    Promise (pmb2005)
    Annie (canyonwind)
    (dem_pa)
    (stefaniechamo)

Plenty there to keep me busy until more mail arrives on Tuesday. I hope some of you have a long weekend due to Columbus Day. I'll update the list above and soon this heading will be full and we'll need a new one and I'll copy it over to there.

Everything that has arrived is great!
    Jeanne

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It looks like this is the last post that will fit on this heading so look for the newer one!
    Jeanne