Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dan_the_mailman

new: mnf october swap - u pick the theme

dan_the_mailman
14 years ago

Well, this time around we're going to do things a little differently. Instead of Wendy and I picking a theme for you all to follow, each of us is going to pick our own theme. And, here's the kicker. Once someone has posted and chosen a theme for their box, NO ONE else gets to use that theme! This shouldn't be a problem since we've all shown how creative we can be, but it should be a lot of fun! We do have a few other rules, so let me outline them for you...

1) All players should be at least 18.

2) Please use a Medium-Sized Flat Rate Box, or the equivalent. Also, use a delivery confirmation number when sending out your box, and post it on the current thread.

3) Choose a theme for your box, and post it. This is going to be first come, first served, so get your choices in early!

4) Box contents should include at least the following... 3 types of bulbs or 6 types of seeds, a card or letter explaining what your theme is and why you picked it, 1 trick or treat (it is Halloween, after all). The rest of the contents are up to you.

5) Due to the time of year, plants are optional.

6) HAVE FUN!!!

7) And please, try to chime in on the current thread at least a couple of times a week. Getting boxes is fun, but we're also all about the conversations and getting to know one another too!

While discussing this swap, Wendy and I got to reminiscing about the good ol' days when she was a Valley Girl (fer shure) and I was a Preppie Punk (yes, I wore alligator shirts and had green and blue hair). Because of that conversation, we thought it would be fun if everyone dug into their photo albums and posted a picture of how they used to look. Did you wear bell bottoms and a tie-dye t-shirt? Show us! (Omit the bong though.) Did you go for the bandanas and chains? We'd like to see that! Were you into leather and swords? Well, Wendy has shown us her Xena-look, now's the time to show us what YOU looked like! (Sorry Wendy, just had to do it!) Once the pictures have been posted, Wendy and I will be handing out awards. We'll be looking for the scariest, silliest, and most-outdated get-ups, amongst others. So, show us what you looked like in days of yore!

Now, if you need some ideas for a theme, think back on what types of past themes we've had and choose one of those, or make up one of your own. Who knows? You may come up with an idea we'd all like to try in the months to come! Like Easter? Then post and put together a box with bunny rabbits and eggs. Christmas your thing? Tinsel and a Charlie Brown Christmas video would be great! Have a favorite color? Then build your theme around all things which are red. Get the idea? Good! Now, let's see what we all come up with!

DATES TO REMEMBER...DATES TO REMEMBER...DATES TO REMEMBER

Posting Date...Today, September 20th

Last Day to Sign Up...October 4th

Partner Announcements...October 5th

All Boxes Should Be Sent by October 19th

Oh, by the way, my theme? Well, I'm going to keep it simple. I'm calling my theme "ALL THINGS YELLOW".

Have fun!

-Dan

Comments (150)

• proudgm_03
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I'm confused because I don't know why everyone is confused!

• hazelnutbunny
    14 years ago

It's all Laura's fault!
    She started it with her BS!!

{{gwi:1299216}}

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

now c'mon..those were just brownies I tell you....and the tea only had a little bit of Bailey's in it!!

• amelia_pepper_lady
    14 years ago

And I missed the tea!

Just returned from a business trip --- the business trip from HELL. I got home last night and I'm still waiting for my luggage. Brushed my teeth with my finger last night. I was trying to look through the cabinets for the extra toothbrushes by H couldn't sleep with me on search mode.

I was lucky enough to spend 3 hours in a plane out on the runway. Air was on and off. Two crying babies. No drinks. They locked the restroom.

And, the same people wanted to take my laptop case away because it was "too big." It fits under the seat. Other people had "carry-ons" that are larger than my suitcase. I wasn't the nicest person when I answered the "too big" remark. I guess losing my luggage was their way of getting back at me.

And, I get to do it again on the 12th.

Need brownies and tea.

• sassybutterfly_2008
    14 years ago

ohhh there's Dan! hehe

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sassy, I didn't see you in the doctor's office yesterday, but yes, that is pretty much what I looked like. I wasn't wearing those blue glasses though, I wonder where I can get some? They'd go great if I punked my hair and died it purple, don't you think?

• hazelnutbunny
    14 years ago

Oooh, Amelia's having all the fun! No fair!!

Well...I have only flown ONCE in my entire life- way back in '92, before things started going nuts, and you still got your free peanuts & coke (and the free lunch, which was actually not half bad!). I"m pretty sure I will never EVER fly again, though.
    No thank you.

HEY, there's DAN! Hi Dan!!

Hmmmm....I'll trade you, Amelia! I woke up to 50 degrees IN THE HOUSE! this morning. Seems hubby put a gigantic hole in the outside wall (actually tore off part of the carport & half the outside wall there). The roof is structurally unsound, and he thought he'd remove the carport (it's caving in)....and just shore things up on that side of the house.

Now...here's the thing....he always, ALWAYS tells me not to start any home renovation projects UNLESS AND UNTIL we have the $$ to complete them. (I'm not supposed to knock down anymore inside walls, for example)
    Yet...we have no $$ to fix the hole in the house. And no sheets of plastic, either. And we've had bat problems in the shed & barn. So now I"m thinking...we're gonna have company for halloween, since our attic is wide open.
    Not to mention the 50 $#*@ degrees in the mornings!!

I love my hubby dearly, and he's usually very sane...but this makes me wonder......

Brrrr!!!!! I'm still shivering!!
    Oh, we have no heat, either. Just the woodstove. But we haven't had time to split & chop wood, since we've had so much cleaning up to do from the ice storm.

I know...ironic, isn't it? Kinda like dying of thirst on a raft in the middle of the ocean....

But guess what we're gonna be doing this weekend? Yup..chopping wood.
    Yay.

Anyway....anyone got an extra blanket?? :P

• sassybutterfly_2008
    14 years ago

Sounds like we're ALLLLLL having just a wonderful week this week!! TGIF right?? 4 outta 6 in my house are showing full Nyquil symptoms - stuffy head, nose, sore throat and etc etc. ugh! I promise I do have another game to play I'm just hoping both Dan and I get to feelin' better soon!

Melissa I feel your pain...we have a hole in the kitchen ceiling, the siding on the outside is falling off in pieces, and there's bubbles under the wall in the bathroom.. oh yes and I noticed a soft spot right near the tub. joy.

Please carry on @#&*itching session..lol It helps to let it out! time for my Daytime Nyquil!

Hugs with a 10-foot pole,
    Wendy / sassyb...

• Debra Andruska
    14 years ago

Melissa,
    50* wow, that's chilly! Cover your birds at night, birds can drop suddenly at anything below 60*

Be back later to read, catch up more!

Deb

• hazelnutbunny
    14 years ago

Oh, Wendy! You've got a skylight in your kitchen! I'm jealous! And soft spots near the tub are so much fun! Taking a shower is much more thrilling & adventurous, dontcha think?

*note to self: Never, NEVER EVER EVER buy a house that's 75+ years old again*
    Ughhhhh....what were we thinking? :P

Well, it's kinda nice to know we're in the same tub, so to speak, Wendy! LOL At least someone understands my pain! Not that I'd wish a crumbling house on anyone, ya know....but at least we HAVE houses to complain about, right? :O)

I hope you get to feeling better soon, Wendy! There are some nasty bugs going around right now. There have been schools closing around here because of them...and it's not the flu, which makes it even worse, I think. Because we've not ONLY got the flu to worry about, we've got a bazillion other nasties, too.
    Yay.
    Makes going grocery shopping even that much more fun.
    Woo-hoo!

"what do you want me to pick up today, hun? Head cold or stomach virus? How about that new respiratory thing?"

Wheeeeee.

And now, I'm off to put on ANOTHER pot of coffee. I need more energy, I've still got 4 more loads of laundry! :o)

• sassybutterfly_2008
    14 years ago

oh lordy and here I've been trying to pretend that Mt. laundry in the laundry area was actually some new kind of home decor... lol

1 box of kleenex gone.. any wagers on how many more? anddd back to the couch I go...

~Wendy / sassyb..

• amelia_pepper_lady
    14 years ago

Things are looking up....

I got my luggage around 10:30 this morning. That's only a little over 36 hours after I should have picked it off the baggage carousel.

I've had the 75+ year-old house before. Since H isn't much of a handyman, most of my planned projects were never finished. (H is completely confused by any building projects.) We won't have another older home although I do love them.

I'll send you my 90+ weather for some of your 50° weather!

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

...off to the store for more meds...did you know you can go through a whole box of sudaphedrine in one day? well, at least my head's not feeling too bad, just a low throb. I hate being sick!

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

"making hex sign" No one had better get me sick! I've a bus trip tomorrow with my friend and I've threatened vile and harmful things to members of my household that have been sick all week!!.."backing away slowly"

I hope everyone starts to feel better....((HUG))

• jessied
    14 years ago

Hi! I have been lurking around being a little intimidated by the big round robin swaps, but between the talk of brownies and that bunny with a pancake on his head......I'm in.
    My theme will be WARM COLORS, COOL TREATS :)
    Jess/jessied

• lilangel181
    14 years ago

H Jess!!
    I would promise no one here will bite, but Im afraid there I can guarantee nothing! I CAN, however, promise it wont leave a scar or cause rabies. Also, Round Robins will become addictive. Nice theme, BTW!
    Welcome to the fun,
    ~Laura

• jessied
    14 years ago

Oh no! Round robins are addicting too!?!? What will I do? Well, being I have become thoroughly addicted to seeds and I'm not a quitter, I guess I'll just have to submit :) My mom used to get annoyed with my sister and I when we were little (we are major book addicts and we bought them all the time- still do) and we would just tell her we could be addicted to worse things like drugs. So, I'm sure seeds isn't too bad either :) Have a great weekend :)
    Jess

• sassybutterfly_2008
    14 years ago

Yayyy!! Another addict to join in the group!! hehe

We're a crazy fun group of fellow gardening addicts.. you'll feel right at home! :P

Altho at the moment both Dan and I are sick and no, we don't live anywhere near eachother...lol I hope to have a new game posted right around partner posting time! (Partner Posting will be on Monday btw!!)

Where ya goin' on a bus trip to Linda?? huh huh?
    Melissa how's that new a/c (aka hole in the wall) workin' out? :P

*openin' box of kleenex # 3.... *sighhhh... check back later ya'll!

~Wendy / sassyb...

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jess, welcome to the party! Don't worry about becoming addicted, it feels great and everyone's doing it! ((GRIN))
    Now, here's a brownie and some tea, enjoy!

And Laura, are you sure you want to promise it won't leave a scar or cause rabies? It probably won't cause rabies, but I'm not so sure about the scars. Oh well, it's all in good fun, right?

Here's an update on who is playing, and what their theme is...
    Dan/dan_the_mailman.......... ALL THINGS YELLOW
    Becky/proudgm_03............. CELEBRATE FALL
    Carmen/gardencraze........... CURIOUS CONTENT BY ME
    Linda/lindaruzicka........... ON A MISTY MORN
    Leah/dancingrabbit........... ALL THINGS WILD
    Melissa/hazelnutbunny........ I DON'T WANNA GROW UP!
    Joan/ejmoore510.............. JACK-O-LANTERN JAMBOREE
    Wendy/sassybutterfly_2008.... MOONLIGHT SERENADE
    Kamil/kamiljablo............. A LITTLE BIT OF THIS N' A LITTLE BIT OF THAT...
    Amelia/amelia_pepper_lady..... BAYOU BLUES
    Heidi/bhnash ................. CHOCOLATE & VANILLA (yum!)
    Annie/canyonwind.............. GIRLS (AND BOYS) JUST WANNA HAVE FUN
    Laura/lilangel1181............ ALL THINGS BOLD AND BEAUTIFUL
    Daisy/Margarita10............. MARGARITAVILLE
    Margo/smitties................ AROMATHERAPY
    Alana/poisondartfrog.......... VAMPIRE SLUMBER PARTY
    Deb/debbya.................... FOR THE BIRDS
    Tery?/tergrov................. WOODSTOCK
    Jess/jessied.................. WARM COLORS, COOL TREATS

So, who wants to know who their partner is?

• sassybutterfly_2008
    14 years ago

Hi all! Could I get everyone to email me their addresses please? I'd like to have them ready to give to partners when they're announced!

Thanks!
    Wendy

• lilangel181
    14 years ago

I think you already have mine. If not lemme know and Ill sent it!

Also *does a little dance* I just made my first EVER batch of JAM!! 4 beautiful half-pints of strawberry mint just came out of the water bath and went POP! *dance*dance*dance* The recipe said it will be 'loose' so I didnt even have to worry too much about a good stiffening! *dance*dance* Someone pass the biscuits, Im bringing JAM!

• sassybutterfly_2008
    14 years ago

ooooh congrats!! That's on my to-do list for next year. Canning all sorts of things! I do need your addr as well.

hugs,
    Wendy

• hazelnutbunny
    14 years ago

Yeah, back in the summer I LONGED for a/c....Hubby came through too little, too late, huh? :O)

Laura, that jam sounds yummy! We have been making & canning jam for the past 3 years. It's addicting, especially the satisfaction you get with each POP! of the lids! lol

Hey, tomorrow is partner day!
    Yippee!!!!!

• sassybutterfly_2008
    14 years ago

Isn't tomorrow only the 4th? I do believe partner day is on the 5th.....

muaahahahahahahahahaahahahahahaha :P

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

5th? did someone say they had a 5th? if so, pour me a 3rd, willya?

Laura, I've got some biscuits. Come sit next to me and we'll have ourselves one or two with some of that jam! Don't you just love that popping sound?

• smitties
    14 years ago

lilangel, I will be the first in line with a whole plate of warm biscuits for the jam. It sounds delicious. Congratulations on your success with your first batch.

Wendy, gonna send my address after I post this. I have no idea if you have it or not as I have several things going on here at GW I am part of. I have a notebook just for Gardenweb activities so I don't get lost.

Hey Dan, you a Tigers fan? Our family is going nuts watching these final games. As former Michiganders, we haven't forgotten our roots or dropped our Michigan teams. (Well the Lions might be an exception :( )

• amelia_pepper_lady
    14 years ago

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!

Excuse me, I'm still excited about the game.

• lilangel181
    14 years ago

*slides up to Dan and Margo* Speaking of michiganders... today we Spartans beat the Wolverines here at home! Thats also why I tried canning. I live close to MSU campus and there was NO WAY I was getting stuck in that traffic!
    *spoons out jam*
    ~Laura

• sassybutterfly_2008
    14 years ago

mmmmm warm biscuits and homemade jam... that would REALLY make my day!!! :)

I'm working on emailing a few people that have signed up but that haven't been back. just need to make sure we still have full participation first!

so far I've received addresses from:
    Melissa / Hazelnutbunny
    Jess / Jessied
    Amelia / amelia_pepper_lady
    Laura / lilangel181

I should have Dan, Linda's and Margo's shortly... everyone else I'm sending a quick email to.

~Wendy / sassyb...

• dancingrabbit
    14 years ago

i just sent my address sorry i havenot been on lately been so busy lol but i am back

• sassybutterfly_2008
    14 years ago

I got it Leah / dancingrabbit, thankyou!

• canyonwind
    14 years ago

Wendy,

I am pretty sure I did not send you my address when I signed up for this swap. So...I just sent you my address via GW...let me know if you do not receive.

Thanks much!

Annie

• smitties
    14 years ago

So, as I explained to Wendy after she was forced to email me for my address, it ain't fun once you hit fifty and start climbing. I totally forgot after I posted I would send her my address.

Hey Wendy, you have it now.

Laura, my son is die hard Michigan fan and was none to please about your Spartans beating them. He isn't a happy person this weekend with that and the Tigers about to blow their chances of moving on. Would not want to be anywhere near him if it happens.

• hazelnutbunny
    14 years ago

Okay. So I'm calendar incompetent.
    Gee whiz.

I'm gonna go get more coffee.

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

has anyone else heard that partners might not be announced until Tuesday??? and that there might be a 3some going on???

• amelia_pepper_lady
    14 years ago

Oh, no!!!! Don't think I can wait that long. :)

A threesome? Now I know why there's an age limit.

• canyonwind
    14 years ago

A Threesome...The fun just keeps getting funner!!!!!!

Annie

• ejmoore510
    14 years ago

TUESDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here's a pretty cool song. It's "Get Together" by the Youngbloods. Enjoy...
    Love is but the song we sing,
    And fear's the way we die
    You can make the mountains ring
    Or make the angels cry
    Know the dove is on the wing
    And you need not know why
    C'mon people now,
    Smile on your brother
    Ev'rybody get together
    Try and love one another right now
    Some will come and some will go
    We shall surely pass
    When the one that left us here
    Returns for us at last
    We are but a moments sunlight
    Fading in the grass
    C'mon people now,
    Smile on your brother
    Ev'rybody get together
    If you hear the song I sing,
    You must understand
    You hold the key to love and fear
    All in your trembling hand
    Just one key unlocks them both
    It's there at your command
    C'mon people now,
    Smile on your brother
    Ev'rybody get together
    Right now
    Right now!

• Iris ( ranegrow ) z7 Maryland
    14 years ago

Hi everyone ! I can't believe summer is over and the holidays are right around the corner ! Hi Dan ! How have you been ? Wow I sure have missed GW ! Is it too late to sign up ? Let me know cause I would love to join in on the fun !! If so, I think I would like to make my box theme " Somewhere over the Rainbow "

Iris

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

"frantically baking more brownies and scones"..hey, toss some of that homemade jelly over this way for these scones...."setting out more tea cups"

Laura, the jam sounds wonderful! You should put some in your exchange box!

Welcome to Jess and Hi again, Iris,,welcome back!

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Iris, you're coming in under the wire, but you made it! And what a cool theme! E-mail your address to Wendy, okay?

Here's an update on who is playing, and what their theme is...
    Dan/dan_the_mailman.......... ALL THINGS YELLOW
    Becky/proudgm_03............. CELEBRATE FALL
    Carmen/gardencraze........... CURIOUS CONTENT BY ME
    Linda/lindaruzicka........... ON A MISTY MORN
    Leah/dancingrabbit........... ALL THINGS WILD
    Melissa/hazelnutbunny........ I DON'T WANNA GROW UP!
    Joan/ejmoore510.............. JACK-O-LANTERN JAMBOREE
    Wendy/sassybutterfly_2008.... MOONLIGHT SERENADE
    Kamil/kamiljablo............. A LITTLE BIT OF THIS N' A LITTLE BIT OF THAT...
    Amelia/amelia_pepper_lady..... BAYOU BLUES
    Heidi/bhnash ................. CHOCOLATE & VANILLA (yum!)
    Annie/canyonwind.............. GIRLS (AND BOYS) JUST WANNA HAVE FUN
    Laura/lilangel1181............ ALL THINGS BOLD AND BEAUTIFUL
    Daisy/Margarita10............. MARGARITAVILLE
    Margo/smitties................ AROMATHERAPY
    Alana/poisondartfrog.......... VAMPIRE SLUMBER PARTY
    Deb/debbya.................... FOR THE BIRDS
    Tery?/tergrov................. WOODSTOCK
    Jess/jessied.................. WARM COLORS, COOL TREATS
    Iris/rane_grow................ SOMEWHERE OVER THE RAINBOW

And I believe that makes 20 players, if everyone has stayed current. Cool!

• sassybutterfly_2008
    14 years ago

Welcome Iris! I'll need you to email me your address asap please!

So far, I'm still waiting on addresses from tergrov, bhnash and margarita10. I emailed everyone yesterday so I'll give them til tomorrow. I'm sure Tergrov is still in, maybe just hasn't checked her email. Is anyone else in touch with Heidi/bhnash or Daisy/Margarita10? If so, please let them know to check in!

Back lata'!

Wendy / sassyb...

14 years ago

thanks Dan, thanks Wendy !!

Wendy, I just sent you email !

Hope everyone had a great weekend, I walked around my yard today collecting a few more seeds from my garden , it was sunny and warm with a bit of a breeze , a perfect fall day ...
    Iris

14 years ago

I just got over a bad cold, first cold I have had in years and it was no fun ! I went thru 2 boxes of kleenex, 4 boxes of non drowsy sudafed, 2 boxes of regular sudafed, ( don't accidentally take 2 of these on my way to work ... no fun trying to stay awake at the PC ) a BIG package of cough drops , 2 Bottles of Robitussin and a bottle of extra strength EXCEDRIN ... ugh I am so glad its finally gone !!
    Speaking of jams , I have a batch of pumpkin butter simmering in the crock pot ... will jar it up and process it tomorrow ! yum ! My favorite so far is the peach butter I put up in August ...
    Looking forward to finding out who my partner will be, I sure did miss this !
    Linda, pass me a brownie please ? oh btw ... I just collected a bunch of oregano seeds today ... ;-)

Iris

• jessied
    14 years ago

Thanks for all the warm welcomes! I am so looking forward to finding out my partner and doing my first swap.......it's the 5th somewhere now isn't it?
    Jess

• sassybutterfly_2008
    14 years ago

Is that like 'it's 5 o'clock'somewhere'? lol
    still waiting on a few people's info...

hugs,
    Wendy / sassyb...

• proudgm_03
    14 years ago

Tuesday partners! What's up with that! I will gladly pay you Tuesday for my partner today! Too rephrase a very spoiled little girl, "I want my partner and I want it now!

Sorry about that. I feel better now. Now will someone please pass the scones and tea. You better make that tea double!

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

well, all I can say to that is..... "Veruca! Watch out for those squirrels!!!" LOL!

Well, today is the big adventure called "work". I'm drugged, fed, ready to see what happens. My headache and the pressure between my ears is back, I've noticed, but hopefully it'll go away soon. This is going to be a long day...

• proudgm_03
    14 years ago

Hope you have a good day at work Dan. I seem to have come down with the stuff also. I'm just going to give up on trying to treat it myself and call the doc and get some good drugs!