Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dimples31312

UPDATE: Neighborhood Clean Out Your Garden Swap #3

dimples31312
14 years ago

I Hope I'm not doing wrong. But the (UPDATE: Neighborhood Clean Out Your Garden Swap #2) is full.

So I'm starting a new page so I can post.

Dorothy

Comments (52)

• rosepedal
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi Girls:)

Whats up! Holding head in shame kicking a bag of dirt... I am sorry Nancy and Rhonda and Heather I screwed up big time! Please forgive me for being stupid... Nancy you have been a good friend for a long time! Heather peeps you are my peeps... I miss you! Well I can only say from my heart.. I am a idiot and take full reponsibeltilty for being stupid and not thinking of others...I ammmm sorrryyy... Hugs and pleace accept my SINCERE apologies for being mean.... Barb

• Debra Andruska
    14 years ago

Hey Barb,
    You sound like you need a big cyber hug! Everyone has a bad day once in awhile. And being mean, crabby is part of it. Stress gets to everyone, no one is perfect. I know I'm not. ;) Hugs to all!
    Friendship has it's ups and downs..

Now, who's hosting the next swap? ;)

Hugs,
    Deb

• rosepedal
    14 years ago

Thank you Deb.. Hugs back.. I miss my friends and screwed up big time... I have learned not to be a mean person.. I promise! Girls scouts honor.... I miss my family of Gw gardeners.... Please bonk me on the head! I deserve it! I love each one of you.. We have been together for a long time now.... Walking out to get a switch now for me.. I really am sorry girls..

• rosepedal
    14 years ago

Ps switches have never been used in the family... Just stating I know I deserve a beating..Which has never been done in the family... Lol They would hurt Ouch!

• divahethr
    14 years ago

I'm sorry too. I miss you too Barb. awww shucks. I hope everything is alright with everyone. I haven't been very neighborly and I'm sorry. Been saving seeds and giving away plants for postage and missing the neighborhood ...

• rosepedal
    14 years ago

Peeps my peeps! I miss you so much! Hugs to you and that grand baby... I am sorry peeps I love you bunches! :)

• rosepedal
    14 years ago

Bonking self on head for being mean! LOL

{{gwi:1299375}}

• rosepedal
    14 years ago

Lol means I know I am a idiot.....Please dont take it wrong

• rbrady
    14 years ago

Hi All!

No worries rosepedal. I think we all learned, I know I learned NOT to let my husband ship anything-EVER! I am surprised he didn't send the boxes parcel post! LOL:) I also learned to communicate with my partner better.

I love hearing whats in everyone's boxes-they sound like they are filled with some wonderful stuff!

Rhonda

• retsec
    14 years ago

Hi everyone. Thanks dimples for starting the new thread. I've had the granddaughter for three days and two nights. I haven't had much time for anything else. Hope to have a good nights sleep tonight, she is a bad bed partner. She is so bad but is soo sweet too.

Barb don't be so hard on yourself, I think you are forgiven by everyone. We all do wrong things sometimes before we even stop to think about what we are doing.
    Have you heard from Kamil to let you know he received your box?

I did get my box from Kamil today. Thanks, Kamil. He sent a nice box of plants, iris rhinzomes, and cuttings that were packed very well and labeled well. He is just a teenager but he knows how to trade. He sent me the following:

NOID iris
    White siberian iris
    Purple pitcher plant
    Citronella plant cuttings
    Vicks plant
    Stevia plants, one for me and another for a friend
    Rose cutting
    Raspberry plants
    Dull pink hibiscus
    Hot pink hibiscus
    Chocolate mint
    Lemon balm
    African milk plant cutting
    4 o'clock bulb
    Pack of aster seed

• retsec
    14 years ago

The winners of the prizes for this swap are anninthegarden and taz56. I couldn't figure out what to give prizes for so I put everyones name in a box and let my husband draw. I have emailed both to let them know they won.

I hope everyone had fun in this swap and I thank each of you for participating. I don't know if I'll ever go back to trading for one or a few plants after I've been in a couple of these round robin swaps. I can't believe everything I have received in these swaps. We've had a few incidents in this swap but I hope everyone involved can put it all behind them and enjoy more swaps and trading on Garden Web.

Cjcjmass post when you sent to micyrey, and micyrey, let us know when you receive and what you got.

Do we have a host yet for the next swap?

Nancy
    retsec

• bigmama4ever
    14 years ago

nancy you did a great job, and everyone got what they wanted and more, so now we are ready for the next, lets start hearing some sugestions, and who is going to do it, i sugest we get started before it gets to cold for our northern ers..

• anniebomm
    14 years ago

I got Nancy's email and was very excited to find out I'll be getting another box of treats! How cool is that?

Thank you, thank you!

-Ann

• rosepedal
    14 years ago

Thanks Nancy for hosting for all of us..It was great fun..Congrats to the winners Ann and Susan.... Back to freezing maters... Have a great day everyone..What are you all harvesting now?

• cjcjmass
    14 years ago

I will ost here along wirha confirmation next sayurday

• anniebomm
    14 years ago

Barb,

I am harvesting weeds! And raspberries! Made a little batch of preserves last night (raspberry, not weeds!)

-Ann

• domehomedee
    14 years ago

Harvesting!
    I put in my first vege garden this year. I used the metal frame from our old canvas garage and covered the entire thing with plastic deer fencing, tenting it out to make more ground space. Then I built raised beds out of concrete block and wired under them to keep the gophers out. It has all paid off though and although most of our veges have done their thing we are still harvesting tomatoes, squash, herbs, and even a few potatoes. I understand that I can start planting some cool weather veges mid-September, it's pretty year 'round here.
    Dee

• dieg01991
    14 years ago

Hi everyone!!!
    Man, it's been such a busy week at work that I didn't even realize how long it's been since I checked the thread!! Whew, TGIF!!

Such great boxes going around, as usual. I love this group!!!

Nancy, thank you so much for side swapping with me!! I love the box I got from you and I'm so happy that everything I sent you still looked good after their long trip. Boy, the PO has sure been crappy lately. You think they'd be a LOT better since business is so much slower for them these days.

Anyway, I need to start cleaning my potted plants and bringing them inside for the winter...BOOOOO!! The weather has been pretty chilly lately and it sure is starting to feel like fall. I told myself that I would start sooner this year because last year, I was so stressed out when we had our first frost threat, up half the night bringing in potted plants and trying to get as much in the garden covered as I could. UGH!! What a mess!!

So, anyone up for hosting the next swap??!! Cindy, was your cryptic message trying to say that you are going to host the next one? :-) It's so easy, I did my first one a couple of swaps ago. Come on neighbors, someone should try it, it's fun!!

It's going to be a looooooooong winter. I'm not ready!!!

Amy

• dimples31312
    Original Author
    14 years ago

First of all This site is going crazy this morning!
    Keeps logging me out? LOL I guess it doesn't like me today :( LOL

This has been fun. Thanks are hosting a great trade.

There's the pictures I promised of the plants and cutting received from Deb.
    I hope I did them right. Hope they grow. LOL
    Thanks
    Dorothy

• dimples31312
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Plus the seeds, I forgot to take a picture.
    Thanks Deb for everything.
    Dorothy

• Debra Andruska
    14 years ago

Dorothy,
    Everything looks wonderful! Wow, shipping in cooler weather did work out ok. I've never shipped anything out (with low of 40*).
    Your going to love the optunia! They root with in a week- to 10 days and you can't kill them. They are so hardy, I have a patch growing outside and they survive our fridgid winters! I usually let the fall leaves stay on the cactus bed over winter, and rake them off- add a little fresh sandy soil each year to refresh it. I've even left them in pots outside too (over the winter) they turn a little reddish, but come back fine.

I love that old man cactus! He's been growing on his parent for 3 years! He's finally free, LOL! I love going to the dollar store and picking up decorative rocks, moss, colored glass rocks, etc. It's so cheap to decorate the soil. I have the same clay container (your long square one) I used the natural decorative rock from the dollar store to add to the soil top.

Yep, the streps look ok- I've done them that way, or the other way (with the little pointed stems down) babies appear both ways. I would bag them though. It helps with humidity and makes the pot turn into a little greenhouse. Make sure the bag doesn't touch the leaves. If you notice any rot- cut it off with sharp scissors or a razor blade, dust with cinnamon. Cinnamon is a natural fungicide and will stop rot immediately.

I love that hoya too! "Publicalyx" is about 10 years old at least, and crowns constantly. I clean it with vinegar on a soft rag or regular milk (to make it shiny). Regular milk contains fat and the fat makes the leaves like glass. Wipe off the milk well though.
    I line all the soil with the dollar store bagged moss. It looks so nice!

That little column cactus is really old, I know he looks puny but he grows really slowly for me. I received 2 of them from a GW friend (who's Grandma owned him). I've had him for at least 6 years or longer. I lost track. He needs a new environment, hopefully it will grow better!

The hen's and chick (red) are from my Mom's house. They love lots of light! And grow huge!

Wait until you see how many babies will appear at the baseline of the strep leaf! You will be so surprised! Divide them when you feel comfortable handling them (a good size). Streps grow quickly- love an occasional mist, cooler temps. No full sun.

The Ajuga- AKA bugelweed "Bronze Beauty" love the color- and blooms too each spring! I have it growing as a ground cover, and does it spread, so be careful!

If I was you I would clip off the blooms on the sedum, only so that it starts putting energy toward the roots. ;)

The oriental lilies.. "Orange Pixie" wow, wait until you see the color it's gorgeous! I tried to pick out smaller new shoots that would fit in the box that I had. I did manage to get roots/bulbs. The bloom color is the most vibrant orange I've ever seen! I have them growing in a pot in full sun and they multiplied so quick, they filled the pot. I'm going to need to divide them this year. The pot is overfilled. They overwinter in a pot each year for me, and come back. If they can survive a chicago winter, they are the hardiest!

The burrow's tail is new. I recently picked it up at a local greenhouse and have it in a hanging basket. It's different, isn't it? All succulents root so well, just don't overwater. I mist mine every few days, water well every 10 days. I have mine growing in an outdoor screenroom, so it does tend to dry out more.

Enjoy all the seeds, I always love adding a little more than the box can handle. I would of sent more- but needed a bigger box!

Love the pics!

Hugs,
    Deb

• dimples31312
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey Deb thanks for all the info.
    I like knowing plant history, were they have been and who they came from.
    Make them oh so more interesting.
    After I read your post I went out and worked on the streps.
    Cut off a couple of spots and dust with cinnamon.
    I also bought them inside to keep them out of the sun.
    I also put baggies over them. I forgot about that. LOL
    Thanks for your help.
    Big Hugs
    Dorothy

• cjcjmass
    14 years ago

Hello everyone.
    Well My box is going out on saturday ..
    Amy How is that Prickery Pear doing? I truly tried to send the entire plant to you. I really do not think that i'm up to hosting as of yet i truly have alot going on right now.

I'm traveling to Massachusette for 9 weeks to care for my oldest brother who had his leg amputated because of his diabetes. Please everyone keep us in your prays we are going to need it.

The sad part about all of this is that he has no flower in his yard or inside of his house. So i'm gather all the seed and bulb that i can get my hands on and sending them directly to his house in New Bedford Mass. By the time I
    leave they will be addicted in a good way...LOL

Thanks everyone

• divahethr
    14 years ago

I don't know what is going on with the animals but they are going crazy here. Last night when we came home there was a chihuahua in the driveway. It was too late to go door to door so we brought it in and let it spend the night. 5 minutes after coming in it was part of the family. oh help us lord. So first thing in the morning I went out door to door looking for it's home. I went to people I didn't know noone answered the door or weren't home on the way back 2 more dogs came up to me. I was like omg. My black cat is sitting in the driveway. I told him to stop telling all his friends to come over. I yelled at my husband come down you aren't going to believe this so now we have 3 dogs well we found the last two's house. This was after we chased them down and played with them and fed and watered them. SO now we are back down to the one. So we had to go onpost and a wild turkey ran right in front of us we were like what is going on. THen a little later on we were having a little burger king picnic on the james river and I see fish jumping not once but over and over like they were skipping in the water. NObody is going to believe this. So then we came home and we are talking to the guy in the house kitty corner and he thought that maybe the dog was the new people that moved in but they are away for the holiday and I'm relieved but then he sees the dog and says oh that's not theirs. GAH...SO i'm working in the yard and another DOG came up to me loose what the heck is going on with these animals. Oh and the neat trick this dog does it balances itself on it's front paws when it goes to the bathroom(the chihuahua). Like it's on the pommel horse like a gymnast. Besides lizards and crickets being everywhere I saw the biggest praying mantis I have ever seen I went to get the camera it was gone. Anyone else's animals acting strange.

• bigmama4ever
    14 years ago

hi ladies watcha doin??? me just had carne asada, frijoles, arroz, torillas, salsa, life is good.. been wanting to ask ya all im lookin for some black ee and my fishnet stockins didnt make it (coleous) anyone for a side trade..wether has been good too jimena dumped all around so its been raining and cool temps..garden looks fabulos..too bad its time to think about fall and bringing plants in, not like up there were amy is brrr, she doin it ..

• anniebomm
    14 years ago

Bigmama,

I haven't forgotten you! I've made cuttings for myself from the coleus to winter over--some of which I'm not sure have taken--but with the exception of 'Tilt-a-Whirl' I can send you what I've got--
    Pineapple Queen
    Kiwi Herman
    Twist and Twirl
    Alabama Sunset
    Tabasco--
    Also will see if I can cram a few EE's in the box--I've got Diamondhead, which is very black, but don't think he's got any suckers. I'd have to see if any of the small stems of the main plant have roots. I can always send 'Heart of the Jungle,' which has dark stems, mostly green leaves w/ some dark venation/highlights.
    Lemme know--I've already got a little box from the p.o. for you!

--Ann

• dieg01991
    14 years ago

Cindy, the prickly pear is doing great! Thanks again for so much!!! Do you know if it's the hardy variety? If you don't know, I will try leaving one pad out and see, I'll bring the others in though. I hope it will survive the winter, that would be so cool!!

Heather, strange stuff. It might be the full moon?

Bigmama, I am not ready to start the big job of bringing all my plants in either. I had a dream the other night that I woke up and it was snowing and 23 degrees (not sure why exactly 23). Anyway, all my plants were frozen. I was so upset!! Thank goodness it was just a dream!!! :-) I am going to start bringing stuff in this week so it's not such a big job all at once this year. Last year was very stressful!!!

My tropical garden is just peaking now, it's so beautiful!! I really hope that our first frost is late this year! I hate to see it all die!! Then I have the big job of digging up all the bulbs and packing them up to overwinter. But I won't have to worry about that until October. The ground won't freeze until Nov/Dec.

Have a great day everyone. We have a lot to do today! This weekend is flying by!!! Went to wedding number 8 of 9 last night, ugh...I am so sick of weddings!!!

Amy

• bigmama4ever
    14 years ago

ann lets wait, id love the black ee, no hurry, thanks. amy you are so streesed youre havin nightmares, gona have to send some tea for you to drink before bedtime...at least you know when its going to hapen so you can pace yourself...my weekend is so slow..

• retsec
    14 years ago

Anninthegarden and taz56, I sent your prizes out on Saturday, forgetting today was a holiday. They will do fine though. I send ginger, canna, and bulbs by first class mail all the time. They usually get there as quick as priority. Let me know when you receive.

• anniebomm
    14 years ago

Nothing better than expecting a package on a rainy day!

Thanks so much, Nancy!

-Ann

• anniebomm
    14 years ago

Got the plants today! I didn't even take them in the house, but went right from the mailbox into their pots!
    Thanks again, Nancy!

And a big, fat, DUH to me--I have access to 32 billion plastic plant markers from work for annuals and perennials every year, but it never occurred to me to recycle them like you've done and mark them in pencil on the back. Where have I been? (Smacking self on forehead) Der der der. Learn something new every day!

--Ann

• cjcjmass
    14 years ago

Hi Amy the Prickery Pear is Hardy in zone 8 I so glad that you really are enjoying you plant. How is everyone doing.
    I'm the last person too send my box out :(

Michelle I hope that you are enjoying you vacation will talk to you once you get back.

cj

• retsec
    14 years ago

Anninthegarden, hope your gingers do well for you. I got boxes of those plant markers from a greenhouse we tore down and moved. Some have writing on the backs so I left them and just took the ones that were blank. I use them all the time, only thing is when I had a plant sale everyone looked at the printed side. I sure had them confused. Now I try to mark out the printed side with a grease pencil.

Guess no one is hosting another swap right now. I was looking forward to trading with some more of you in the neighborhood.

• taz56
    14 years ago

Hi! Nancy,
    got the plants thank you bunches.
    I love um all! :)
    Hugs!
    Susan

• anniebomm
    14 years ago

Everyone, maybe we should see how many people are interested in doing another one? Then we can bully the weakest member into hosting it? :)
    I've got limited time in this season (sob!) to send plants and cuttings safely, and would like to share what I've got, (and get more for my greedy little self,) if anybody else wants to play!
    -Ann

• divahethr
    14 years ago

welp...I have added a bunch of tropicals to my haves list and I'm ready to share. Well if only 3 people are interested we can have a 3 way we each send out 2 boxes and get 2 boxes from each other. If 4 people are interested we have a full fledge swap lol I have no idea but I'm ready. I know the neighborhood can't go out like this.

• divahethr
    14 years ago

09-09-09!!! party time!!!
    signed
    heather optimistic resident reject cheerleader

• dimples31312
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Are we starting A new swap?????
    Who's the host?????
    Dorothy

• anniebomm
    14 years ago

Heather,

I'll swap you my bad little Corgi for your new stray dog that potties while doing a handstand. (Did I understand that right?)
    Dorothy, we don't have a volunteer yet, but are checking to see who's interested in participating!
    -Ann

• divahethr
    14 years ago

Aweee Ann! I do have a new fondness for little dogs...what happened to the stray dog...the dog ended up being the new neighbors dog afterall...they went out of town and left it in the back yard(what? It's been like 40 days and 40 nights of rain here)so as soon as I came home from work Monday the man neighbor was trying to get my attention blah blah he's told I have his dog...he described it to me and my heart sank...I said yes I will bring her right over...we found her Saturday night. So I bring her over I was NOT getting a very grateful feeling from these people in fact the wife said something (don't know what she had a tone?????) I dont know if she was scolding the dog or me or wth. Sometimes it's just not worth getting into it with a skank in front of her kids...plus I'm way older and should know better. The husband did say thank you but I was expecting tears of joy at least or hi my name is _____ and we so grateful that our dog is not lost blah blah something that civilized people say or at least people with half a brain. I turned and went home I couldn't get back fast enough. I told my husband he was like next time call the spca and let them pay the fine to get their dog out of doggy jail. I would be here all night writing a book on all wonderful qualities she had just a really good dog. So now we are getting my youngest one for christmas

• divahethr
    14 years ago

• bigmama4ever
    14 years ago

im in, i have a few stuff that have come up that i havent sent.. a small totem pole cacty has poped up..white canna,rooted begonia,x mas or easter cacty..comon ladys show me your tropicals...Heather those are great, i want some of those pitchers, everything looks great..

• cjcjmass
    14 years ago

Hello ladies,
    Micyrey please post here to let me know that you are back from your vacation.If there is going to be another swap i would like too be included.

Thanks Cindy

• divahethr
    14 years ago

wow I think we have like 6 interested all we need is a host

• rosepedal
    14 years ago

Hi Everybody!

Lots to catch up on...Heather are you volunteering Peeps?

Wonderful pics peeps..:) Barb Hugs all, be back later....

• retsec
    14 years ago

Count me in on the next swap too. Hope we get a host soon. We have several in the neighborhood that haven't hosted yet. I'm sure everyone who has already hosted will be glad to help you out if you need them.

• rosepedal
    14 years ago

Ooops I forgot heather you hosted didnt you? Sorry my mistake... As a humble suggestion for the next RR...Maybe we could set a Plant limit and a cutting limit so ALL is getting a set amout (all the same).. Just to make it fair to one and all... Thinking out loud lol

• Michelle Reynolds
    14 years ago

hello everyone
    cj I'm back from Wisconson, we had a great time and hooked several salmon...YUMMMMM salmon.... saw some great flower gardens up there too. I'm glade you liked the bag and can use it.
    happy gardening everyone
    michelle

• cjcjmass
    14 years ago

Welcome back!

I'm glad that you had a wonderful time on vacation now for you goodies they will mail out tomorrow morning. Get ready you have alot of planting to do..:)

Cj

• cjcjmass
    14 years ago

Guess who's box went out today! I've enclosed your delivery confirmation number's

I sure who that you enjoy all of your GOODIES.