Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beth_b_kodiak

new: mnf september swap

beth_b_kodiak
10 years ago

It has been quite a while since I have been hostess. How long has it been? Honestly, so long that I can't remember but I'm betting it is so long that to many of you I'll be a "New Friend".
The theme for this month will be
something Old
something New
something Special, just for you
Suggestions are for Something old either a cookbook that you enjoy or a division of a plant that you have had for a while.
Something new could also be a plant division/cutting or a handy handy garden gadget. Garden related, not for the house unless for a house plant.
Something special just for you is your challenge. If your partner is someone you know it may be easier but it should be something special ( now expensive, but Special)and somehow relate to the receiver. Be creative here.
Sign ups will be until the 10th and mail by date will be the 17th.You will be sending three items and at least one needs to be a plant.
Make sure your selected items will fit into one of the Medium Flat rate priority boxes There are two shapes to choose from and generally the flat rate saves you money
Hope to meet a lot of new friends and say a hearty hello to lots of old ones too.
I'll post a game after the fifth player signs up
Beth b

Comments (109)

• poisondartfrog
    10 years ago

Okay. Here's my question for today:
    Is the event a wedding?

• sjc48
    10 years ago

Here's my question for today:
    Is the "who" your grandson?

• nikkineel
    10 years ago

My event: new baby?

• chel12vuk
    10 years ago

My question for the day: Is it a type of anniversary?

And I'm sorry I forgot to let you ladies know that I mailed Michelle's package out on Thursday, she should hopefully receive it tomorrow. I was late mailing mine out as well :( I haven't received anything from her yet either so I'm assuming she got hers out late too, which works out for us being partners LOL! Hope everyone had a wonderful weekend!

Chelsie

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Glad to see the activity on the new game. You gals are sharp too! Two correct answers already
    Chelsea, thanks for the update. Sounds like the packages are moving right along.
    Shirley sent/received
    Alana sent
    Nikki sent
    Jayeanne received (broken ankle) delayed sending but OK
    Chelsie sent
    Margo sent
    Vina OK
    Michelle OK
    Sue G Sent
    Beth sent/received
    I think I got these right, let me know if I'm wrong,please
    Now, I held the suspense as long as possible. Here are the answers to your questions
    Alana= yes
    Shirley=yes
    Nikki=no
    Chelsie=no

• poisondartfrog
    10 years ago

So is your grandson getting married in your garden?

• smitties
    10 years ago

Is it your grandsons birthday celebration?

• sjc48
    10 years ago

Is your grandson getting married at your old home/farm?

• pinkiris
    10 years ago

your grandson....in a wedding....in your gardens

Happy Monday
    Jayeanne

• poisondartfrog
    10 years ago

My box from Jayeanne came today. She included a Southern LIving cookbook for something old, Fritillaria meleagris bulbs for something new and Bath and BodyWorks body spray and Antibacterial Hand Soap in nice gardeny fragrances for the something Special. Along for the ride was a Halloween Pumpkin shelf sitter and a Reese's candy bar to sustain me while I planted the bulbs.
    This was a great box all around, but my favorite part was the Fritillaria-one of my all time favorites!
    Thank you so much!
    Alana

• sguanzon
    10 years ago

I received the most wonderful box from Margo today - it is spectacular! The box I sent her pales in comparison and I promise to make it up to you Margo!

She sent:
    Three varieties of coneflower I am just dying to get planted
    Cute Solar Sunflower (special)
    Low growing sedum plants (always appreciated) and a cutting of an annual that smells great!
    an ortho problem solver book (old)
    a magnetic list pad (just because) - believe me I always can use these
    and something new - a beautiful ceramic leaf with a bird perched on the edge - really nice!

Thanks Margo - you're the best!

Sue G

• sjc48
    10 years ago

I received the "Old" portion of my swap today and I love it, it's just perfect, Beth!

Beth sent me a Butterfly ID book, an older one, that has a wealth of info not included in any of my other BF books, ie, wing structure, coloring, predators, and photography tips, just to mention a few.

Also has colored drawings/info of 250 butterflys native to North America. 250! Couldn't believe it, at least 20 more that can be found in SE Michigan! I KNEW the veined white could be found here, I knew it, and now I have proof! I knew we could get the Diana, too!

It is well written, a must for me, and very informative.
    Beth, Thank You! This made my day!
    Shirley!

• smitties
    10 years ago

Sue, so glad you liked the box and your box was just as enjoyable for me so don't worry about "making it up to me".

Sue sent me three very pretty garden mums. Mums are a favorite of both my husband and I and they are going out front mixed in the row of others. She also sent a red mandevilla which I have always wanted. This is going in a big pot so I can winter it over.

There was also a terra cotta garden turtle with a green back and he is stinkin cute as well as a resin frog which is a great addition to my collection. Really Sue, your box was super and I appreciate it. Thank you so much.

Margo

• sjc48
    10 years ago

I wanted to share this picture with you all. I took the pic about 2 months ago and thought it was a Pearl Crescent. Well, I was reading the book Beth sent and saw a pic of this BF. I thought, gee, a Pearl Crescent, WRONG! It's a Harris Checkerspot! It's host plant is the white flat-top aster, of which I have none. It was nectaring on the Zinnias out front. How cool is this?! SE MI is part of it's region, so I may get more next year, especially if I grow the white flat-top asters! Another addition to my Prairie Moon order!

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Quick answer to the game questions.
    All are Nos. Sorry gals try again
    BAck in a bit

• poisondartfrog
    10 years ago

Your grandson is getting married at Faurot Field ?

• smitties
    10 years ago

Is it a going away party?

• pinkiris
    10 years ago

is it... your grandson ...in a wedding... in MO

Jayeanne

• sjc48
    10 years ago

Is it your grandson in his wedding at your daughter's home?

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lots of good answers to the question of WHERE but so far none are correct..
    Alana, where is Faurot field?
    The who and what questions were so quick I thought this would be done by now. Maybe we need a clue?
    Shirley, love the butterfly photo.Maybe some summer you could host a camp in and we'll all come and learn photo tips. Wouldn't that be a blast?

• poisondartfrog
    10 years ago

My bad Beth. For some reason I had the impression you lived in Missouri part time. I must have dreamed that. It is the home field of the U of M Tigers.

My guess for the day:
    Your grandson is getting married in the air while jumping out of an airplane. :)

• sjc48
    10 years ago

My guess for the day:
    Your Grandson is getting married in Church.

Beth, a Camp in would be fun, but I'm still learning, so it might not be for a while! I could probably learn something of value from each and every one of you. I remember, in a swap a few years back, you sent me some really good landscape photos of your ranch. I've seen so many good photographers on these swaps!

Gotta go back to work,
    later,
    Shirley!

• Michelle Reynolds
    10 years ago

Hello
    Sorry to be so absent, my computer is just stupid and won't log on to garden web anymore, so I have to wait till my hubby gets home every week to use his iPad.

I got my package Tuesday, in side was...
    A climbing aloe
    Mother of thousands babies, the little one have roots already.
    And a wavy jade plant.
    Also a burpee cookbook

Thanks chelsie, your package is finaly on the way, I was waiting for a package to come in the mail.

Happy gardening
    Michelle

• smitties
    10 years ago

Your grandson is having a barn wedding.

(This is what my daughter wants)

Margo

• pinkiris
    10 years ago

your grandson...in a wedding.... in AZ

Jayeanne

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm way behind on answering/commenting. Life is getting in the way. LOL
    Shirley, you are correct it's in a church but I'm looking for a more geographic answer. Try for a state..........
    A barn wedding we would all love but I guess the Bride was not game for that.
    Alana, yes we do live in MO part time. We bought this place this summer and plan to be here summers. I love it here.
    This is another of the butterflies that have been visiting the compost heap. So many pretty ones here but not ones that I know.
    Michelle,thanks for the update. Sounds like a fun package. A Burpee cookbook sounds like something I'd like.

• sjc48
    10 years ago

Beth! That's a Comma, or a Question Mark! Or it could be an Anglewing of some sort! How Pretty!

My answer for the day:
    Your Grandson in his wedding in Arizona?

Have a great day ALL!
    Shirley!

• flowergirl34
    10 years ago

Morning!

I get back to the house.. and what should be greeting me?? but Nikki's box!

Nikki! Thank you for such a thoughtful box!!

She sent, everything wrapped in pretty tissue paper and labeled (very cute!!)

In my "Old Favorite of Hers" was 3 glass bud vases.
    In the Just for Fun" package was a lily notepad and SEEDS! Bee Balm, Columbine: Rocky Mountain Blue, and Salvia: Blue Victoria
    In "New Plant To Try" Tulip: Ice Cream (wow! is this pretty!)
    In "Old Favorite Of Mine"...what else??? but an iris :D Jazzed Up
    In " New Plant for Already Established Bed" a very LARGE clump of Yarrow: Sunny Seduction

AND...last but certainly not least...

In my "Something Special" was THE CUTEST BUDDAH TURTLE IN THE WHOLE WORLD!! Love it!!! :D

Nikki! You are amazing! I love every single thing you sent!!

And, I know I said I was mailing this week, but, with the most wacky stuff that has been sprung my way in the last couple of days, I don't think I'm getting to it till this weekend.

Nikki and Beth, I promise to mail out on Monday **crossing my heart and everything XXXX*** :D

Have a super day!
    vina

• smitties
    10 years ago

Your grandson is getting married in Kansas?

Vina, no worries here. I know how life can get in the way. I am in no hurry and have plenty of planting time.

Margo

• nikkineel
    10 years ago

YAY Vina, I'm so glad you were happy with the box:) I had fun putting it together for you. Take your time on sending. It has been really wet here in Ga all week and I will be out of town all weekend anyway.
    I'm lost on the guesses Beth. I'm gonna let the experts figure out that one.
    Have a great weekend everyone!
    Nikki

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Vina, very nice box.The turtle sounds like a kool addition to the gardens
    .Back to the game.... the answer is the name of a state but not, MO,AZ or KS. Nikki hope that helps. Actually, I hope it helps everyone. We only have a few days left for this month.
    Shirley, thanks for the ID. I don't remember seeing this butterfly before but today there were two of them. I Have very few flowers but the compost heap seems to be a big attraction.

• poisondartfrog
    10 years ago

I almost forgot to guess today.
    Your grandson's wedding in...Illinois.
    Alana

• pinkiris
    10 years ago

your grandson....in a wedding...in Hawaii!

Jayeanne

• sjc48
    10 years ago

Beth, there are several kinds of BFs who like rotting fruit/veggies, rotting meat, sap from trees and....dung! Have put all that stuff out for them, except the last! These BFs very rarely nectar on flowers, altho the Commas/Question Marks that I've had, loved the Echinacea!

I'm back down in Kettering for the weekend. The kids are headed back to NC in the morning and I get to take care of the girls! Fun times ahead!

i'll be sure to try the game again tomorrow!

Talk to ya all soon!
    Shirley!

• smitties
    10 years ago

Jayeanne beat me to Hawaii which was going to be me my next guess so now I am asking is he getting married in California? Margo

• sjc48
    10 years ago

How about:
    Your grandson getting married in Maryland?
    Have a great day, everyone!
    Shirley!

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nope. not Hawaii.
    I was coming back to post a clue but Shirley has got it. My Grandson is getting married in Maryland.
    Congratulations Shirley. You got two of the three parts.
    Alana is the other winner. Congratulations Alana. Please send me your address.
    Anyone want to try for the Date?
    We are all pretty excited as he is 30 and it seems way overdue for him to get married. Plus, it will be like a family reunion as we all live scattered across the USA.
    Good guessing ladies.
    The swap is wrapping up with 8 of the 10 players having received their packages if I'm counting right.
    I will be away most all day tomorrow. Hope everyone has a pleasant fall weekend.

• smitties
    10 years ago

Congratulations to Shirley and Alana. Good job on the guessing. Beth, good news on having all the family gathering together. It will be a special day for sure.

Shirley, I have what might be a difficult question for you. Do you have any idea what the yellow butterflies might be that have been flying around my yard this week. There are many of them out there at one time so I am wondering if they are migrating. They won't stay still long enough for a picture. I figure we live in such a proximity that they are in your area as well. If you could give me a couple possibilities, I can look them up on line. They are not very big. Thanks in advance.

Margo

• sjc48
    10 years ago

Margo, if they are a lemon yellow or bright lemon yellow, they could be a sulphur of some kind. They could also be Cabbage whites which have some yellow coloration, sometimes. If they look like they have "burned" spots, they are sulphurs. We get two different kinds in our area. Also, they show up in bunches in the fall. On wild types of asters.
    I'll try to find a pic to post.
    Shirley!

This post was edited by sjc48 on Fri, Sep 27, 13 at 19:05

• smitties
    10 years ago

I do believe they are sulphurs as they are brighter yellow. Thanks Shirley. I am hoping I can spend some time trying to get a pic on my day off.

• poisondartfrog
    10 years ago

FYI, I will be posting the October Swap this evening. I know it is a couple of days early, but I will be busy next week.
    I know this one is not 100% wrapped up, but it's close, I think.
    Alana

• chel12vuk
    10 years ago

I got my package from Michelle on Friday, I just haven't had a chance to update yet. She sent me 3 awesome plants that are right up my alley! I got 'drunkard's dream', hens and chicks 'red wings', and aloe 'blue elf'. I included a picture for ya! Thanks so much Michelle!!

• sjc48
    10 years ago

Good Morning!
    Beth, I received the other book you sent! It's called Garden Butterflies of North America. Beautiful photographs! Thank you, Thank you!
    Shirley!

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Chelsea, nice set of plants. I had drunkards dream and it is a fun plant. I'm partial to suculents.
    This swap is about wrapped up now. Just waiting for Vina's package to get to Nikki.
    I have prizes owed to Shirley and to Alana and will get them mailed as soon as they arrive here
    This has been fun. Thanks to all for participating.
    Bethb

• flowergirl34
    10 years ago

Good afternoon!

I just wanted to let Nikki know that I mailed out her box on Monday. It's scheduled for delivery on Wed. :)

DC#9114 9011 2308 6661 2445 21

I hope you like it :)

Thanks Beth for hosting such a fun month!!
    Talk to you later!
    vina

• sjc48
    10 years ago

Beth,
    Thanks for hosting a great swap, and thanks again for the beautiful books!
    And by the way, the Pear/Apple jam is delicious, and the girls loved the pears; so did I!
    Shirley!

• poisondartfrog
    10 years ago

Great swap, Beth!

• nikkineel
    10 years ago

I received the most wonderful box of plants from Vina today:) Something old: Egyptian walking onion, Iris Dusky Challenger, and Iris Quaker Lady (one of the oldest of her awesome collection of Iris), Daylily strawberry candy, and one of her favorites - Yarrow - Cherries Jubilee. Wow! There's more....
    Something new (to me): Coneflower Ruby Giant
    Something special: for my memory garden for my sister from Vina's memory garden - Sib Iris - Shaker's prayer and Daylily - Siloam Angels voice
    and a sweet hummingbird on a bloom.
    SUCH a thoughtful and generous box, Vina.
    Thank you sooo much!!!!
    Nikki

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

WOW nikki! I'd say you hit the jackpot. That is quite a wonderful sounding collection of Gifts.
    Vina you sure made up for being a bit late. No one was worried anyway but you are a champ.
    This has been a fun swap.
    The winners of the guessing will receive their prizes an about two weeks. Late for the game but still OK for planting unless the weather gets totally crazy.
    Thanks to all for playing.
    Bethb

• flowergirl34
    10 years ago

Whew Nikki! So glad it made it! I was a little worried with the size box I sent I know it was too small. And I thought that it would be busted open by the time you rec'd it. Glad you enjoyed everything :) Have fun planting :D

Super swap Beth!

Have so many leaves on the ground right now I can't even see most of my flowerbeds. :( Have an electric leaf blower but it doesn't make it around the yard...I think it's time to take a trip to Lowe's and see what they have in the way of gas leaf blowers :D I really miss my mums...they're under their somewhere,

Have a great day!
    vina