Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
new: mnf september swap

Posted by beth_b_kodiak zone 5a (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 3, 13 at 7:59

It has been quite a while since I have been hostess. How long has it been? Honestly, so long that I can't remember but I'm betting it is so long that to many of you I'll be a "New Friend".
The theme for this month will be
something Old
something New
something Special, just for you
Suggestions are for Something old either a cookbook that you enjoy or a division of a plant that you have had for a while.
Something new could also be a plant division/cutting or a handy handy garden gadget. Garden related, not for the house unless for a house plant.
Something special just for you is your challenge. If your partner is someone you know it may be easier but it should be something special ( now expensive, but Special)and somehow relate to the receiver. Be creative here.
Sign ups will be until the 10th and mail by date will be the 17th.You will be sending three items and at least one needs to be a plant.
Make sure your selected items will fit into one of the Medium Flat rate priority boxes There are two shapes to choose from and generally the flat rate saves you money
Hope to meet a lot of new friends and say a hearty hello to lots of old ones too.
I'll post a game after the fifth player signs up
Beth b

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new: mnf september swap

Hi Beth, let me be the first to sign up for your swap. Thanks for taking on the job and I am sure despite the absence from being a hostess in a while, you will do a great job.

Margo

o

Thanks Margo and welcome to the swap. I admit I'm excited to be back.
Margo is first, Who is going to be second to sign up? MAybe a "new" friend? A Silver to go with the Gold.

o

• Posted by sjc48 5 Michigan (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 3, 13 at 12:16

Well, the only thing "silver" about me is my hair and it's mostly grey; bronze won't work either-I got a very patchy tan this year, but can I play anyway?

Great Idea, Beth!
Shirley!

o

hello
I would like to play, I have not been trading much but this one sounds nice and easy.
michelle

o

Welcome Shirley AND Michelle. What fun to have you joining in for the swap. Both of you are on my oldies but goodies list. Even if Shirley does have some silver in her hair. LOL
You gals are #2 and #3.
Just two more players and it will be game time.
Looking over what I wrote this morning, I want to add that the something old could also be an old garden book too, though I have a hard time parting with any of mine. Old cook books are very common at thrift stores. Garden books, not so much but they are available cheap online.
We are off to a good start, wondering who is next.........

o

Sign me up, too, please.

o

I'll play!!! I'm seeing some people I recognize too:)

o

Ill join! Jayeanne

o

WOW! three more players and two of you are "New" to me.
A big welcome going out to, Alana,,Nikki and Jayeanne. We are up to 6 and I promised the first game when we got to 5 so here you are.
I'll start with a word game and leave it open until the 12th so folks who are joining can still play.
September Sunshine always seems very special to me. Still warm and good for our gardens but treasured because we know it will be fading away as days grow shorter.
The game will be to make as many words as possible from the letters in September Sunshine.
Words must be at least 4 letters long.
use only the letters in the two words
Prize for the most words will be a book, winners choice of Cook book or Garden Book. The book will be an Old Friend of mine and I hope it will become an old friend of yours too.
One of my favorite "old Friends" is The Victory Garden Cookbook. It combines two of my favorite things. Anyone else have this book? Sorry to say this is NOT the prize but if you can find it, it is an excellent book.
Do NOT post your list of words. Just let me know how many you have on your list.

o

Hello, I'm a newbie too, but I'd like to join! I'm really beginning to like plant swaps! The last one I was in was just plants so its exciting to join one that is a little different!

Chelsie

o

Welcome Chelsie. The make new friends group is a terrific place for new traders. I really enjoy trading and have missed it a lot. I have a new yard here and there is not a lot for trading yet. I am glad to hear that this format works for you too.
Hope you will try the game . It may be a bit tricky with so few vowels but that makes it fun too.
Hope we have more sign ups from other new and old friends in the next few days. It is fun to see who is still here and to welcome newbies/ I'll be away most of tomorrow but will check in by late afternoon

o

Fri, Sep 6, 13 at 7:43

Morning All!

Beth, I'm up to 83 words!
I'll send the list as soon as I reach 100!

It's Friday, YAY!!
Shirley!

o

Oh my Shirley, I haven't even started to look for words. How quick you are!

Cool morning here. I am about on my way for my last Weight Watchers weigh in before I am declared a lifetime member. Woo Hoo. The 23 pounds I gained back after losing 47 5 years ago are gone. This time they stay off..........

Margo

o

Morning!
Beth, I'd love to sign up :) This sounds like so much fun!

Margo, Congratulations on the 47 twice! I just got back from running myself. Feel like I'm going to DIE! Just need to get back into the swing of things.

Shower, then off to clean out the garden shed...ugghhhh!
vina

o

Shirley, you are way ahead of me on the game. I do try the word games just to get a feel for how they will work.
Margo, congratulations on the WW landmark. That is fantastic and something to be very proud of.
Vina, we'd love to have you join us. You are another gardener that seems to be supercharged with all that you manage to accomplish and a great trader too.
Players so far for the Make New Friends Sept Swap are:
Margo
Shirley
Michelle
Alana
Nikki
Jayeanne
Chelsea and
Vina
We are off to a very good start for the swap. Hope to add some more, especially a few more new folks over the weekend. If you are thinking about joining but have questions please feel free to ask. The old timers will be happy to help you out with answers.
Have a beautiful day
Bethb

o

Sat, Sep 7, 13 at 10:57

Well, drat, I found 5 repeated words - back to the drawing board!

Busy transplanting plants here and there in the flower beds today. I ordered some plants from Prairie Moon, and on the off chance they send them now, instead of spring, I need to make room for them.

Have a great day, Everyone!
Shirley!

o

I'd like to join, this will be a new group for me but when I saw that Beth was hosting I just had to join up - sounds like fun!

Sue G

o

Sue, so glad to have you joining both the group and the swap. MNF has been a good group since it's beginning. I believe you will like it too.
Sue puts us up to 10, including me, for this swap. Who else is lurking out there? Come on and join us.. We are a friendly bunch.
2 more days for sign ups.
Shirley, does that mean you bounced back down to 95? LOL. You go girl.

o

Sun, Sep 8, 13 at 14:17

Actually, I'm back down to 78.
Bummer.
Shirley!

o

Hi all! Hope everyone is having a great weekend. I'm up to 176 words:) Can't wait to get partners so I can start planning.... Talk to you soon.

o

Sun, Sep 8, 13 at 19:57

176 words?!!! AGGGHHHH!!!!
Where will it end?!!

Beyond that, yes, nikki, I had a great weekend. Did lots yesterday, next to nothing today. Balance is all!!

Have a great Monday, Everyone!
Shirley!

o

Ooh boy, you guys already beat me at this game, I'll never get that many words!! You guys are too good, Lol.

o
re: partners

There are no new signups to add to our list so here, as promised are the swap partners;
Vina and Nikki
Margo and Sue G
Alana and Jayeanne
Chelsea and Michelle
Beth and Shirley
They were drawn from a brown lunch bag totally at random.
Just to recap, the gift for your partner will be something old, something new and something special just for your receiver.
Feel free to ask your partner "leading questions" to help figure out the something special if you need hints. When you ship enclose a note to explain which item is for each category.
ONly one of the items needs to be a plant but if you choose to have two plants that is fine. Hope the weather cools a bit as these mid 90's are a bit warmer than I like for shipping plants.

o
RE:Word GAme

You still have today and tomorrow to work on the word game.
Nikki sent me a very impressive but not all inclusive list. Great work there Nikki .......but.....
One of my favorite words is not on the list and I'm pretty sure there are more, so don't give up yet.
In fact, if Nikki does not get the word I have in mind added to her list, but it is on YOUR list, I'll send you a Consolation prize.
In case you missed the post, the words are:
September Sunshine.
How many words can you make from those letters ? ( 4 letter Minimum)

o

THis group is so quiet , I hope you are all doing OK.
We have been very busy here in the yard and perhaps that is true for the rest of you too. Cleaning up a large area of grapevines that have not been pruned or tended in over 10 years. Can't get a firm date on how long, but at least that long They are full of pickery rose bushes raspberries, poision ivy and trash trees. SLOW going but at least now we can see through from one side to the other in about half or the area.
There were only two lists sent in for the work game. NIkki did a fantastic job and wins her choice of either a cook book appropriate for a gardener OR a garden book. Nikki let me know what is your choice and please send me your address.
NIkki did not get my favorite word possible with the September Sunshine letters though she was close.
Anyone want to try to guess that word for a plant prize that I will name on Monday?
Hope to hear from everyone over the weekend so I know that you are ready to ship to your partner

o

Fri, Sep 13, 13 at 18:44

Hi Everyone
Beth, that sounds like a big job. I sent you an email, need your address, let me know if you didn't get the email. Will be ready to send by Tuesday.

Very cold here today, haven't turned the heat on but would love to!
Yay!! It's Friday!!
Shirley!

o

Hey all!

Beth, 10 years worth of vines...I'd be soar all over, lol.

Nikki sent me an email and we're exchanging addy's. I should be shipping next week.

Ditto Shirley! YEAH FRIDAY!
vina

o

Jayeanne and I have exchanged information.

o

Sent my email to Sue for her address.

Sorry I did not get in on the game. I have been working at getting our gift shop ready for the 38th Anniversary sale. I am the only one there, (besides the owner), who has been there more than 7 months. I have trained three since February and one did not work out so started training a new gal for the past two weeks. We are about to enter the busiest time of the year and I am really stressing. I know it will get done but I am one of those who just has to worry until it is done. Unfortunately, then there is something else. LOL

Hope you all have a good weekend. Margo

o

Hey everyone, hope all is well! I sent Michelle an email so that we can exchange our info. I've really been stressing this week, its starting to get colder here and I have no idea where I'm going to find room for all my non hardy plants. I bought a small 6x8 greenhouse with intentions of using it in the spring for seedlings when the weather is still unpredictable but now I'm wondering if I should set it up to house some things for winter. I have no idea what to do for a heat source that would be safe and not hard on the electric bill. Has anyone else done anything like this? I'm in PA which is zone 6 so it can get pretty cold. Well hope everyone is enjoying their weekend!!

Chelsie

o

Sat, Sep 14, 13 at 20:02

I've never done anything like that, Chelsie, but could you set the greenhouse up on a deck or porch next to a wall and not use heat? Do your plants die back for the winter? This is interesting. Anybody with some answers?

Spent the day, AGAIN, digging, transplanting and rearranging the gardens. Need to get some more mulch too.

Beth, sent you an email, will probably send on Tuesday.
Have a nice Sunday, Everyone!
Shirley!

o

Jayeanne's trio of surprises is ready for the mailman.
DC 9405503699300060171794.
Thanks, Alana

o

I probably could put it up against the wall on my deck. You think that would be enough heat from the house? A lot of my plants are succulents and house plants that I keep outside in the summer, so they would die completely in the winter if I don't bring them in or figure something out with the greenhouse.

Chelsie

o

Chelsie, what is it made of? I had a glass greenhouse in the DC area, Zone 7 and even with a propane heater it sometimes dipped below freezing when the outside temps were in the teens. Maybe if it is double wall plastic it will hold heat OK. Never used one of those.

o

Mon, Sep 16, 13 at 21:03

Beth, I've got your package all ready for the Post Office tomorrow, will post the DC# when I get home.

Chelsie, definitely some kind of heat source for house plants, maybe bringing them in is the best idea, if you have room.

Have a great day tomorrow,
Shirley!

o

Oh my, just realized packages need to go out tomorrow. I will be working until 6 and will come home and get it ready. I will mail it Wednesday morning before work.

Margo

o

Nikki I need your address and your choice of book so I can send your prize for the word game
Hope to get another game started in the next couple days.

o

Tue, Sep 17, 13 at 15:56

Beth, your packages went out today, have the DC# if needed. They should be there Thursday or Friday.
Hope everyone had a great day!
Shirley!

o

Shirley, I just got back from the PO. Your package is on the way. They predict Thursday delivery which sounds a bit optimistic to me.
Bethb

o

Margo - no worries - your pkg is not going out until tomorrow either LOL!

Sue G

o

Sue, I just sent an email your way. I had hoped to do up your package but totally forgot to bring a box home. I work until six tomorrow and since I am off Thursday, I will be doing up your box on that day. I plan to mail it no later than Friday morning. I apologize and hope I can make the box worth the wait. I totally hate me a late mailer but it just happened. Sorry about that. Margo

o

Tue, Sep 17, 13 at 20:07

Beth, my experience with the Post Office has always been good with these packages. If they tell me it will arrive on
Friday, it shows up on Thursday. But whenever it gets here will be fine, will be watching for it.

Is anyone else experiencing COLD temperatures? This is silly! It's way too early for temps in the 30s. I'm turning the heat on at night, dragged out all my flannels and long sleeved shirts, and put my summer tops way back in the closet. I have a funny feeling I'll be undoing all of this next week! Cie Le Guerre!

Have a nice evening, All,
Shirley!

o

Thank goodness I'm not the only one mailing a little late. I should have it out on Thursday! Hope everyone is having a great week!

o

Nikki, Your prize for the word game is on the way. The book I am sending is one I have liked for about 10 years and I hope you will enjoy it too.
Update on partners and mailing
Alana was an earlybird: she mailed Sunday,
Shirley and I both mailed Yesterday ( Tuesday)
Nikki,Margo and Sue G All posted and arew A-OK
We are waiting to hear from
Jayeanne
Chelsie
Vina
Michelle
Some of you we have not heard from in a while. Hope all is well. Please pop in and say hello.
The ripe and over ripe pears and done up and we are going to work on other stuff while the others ripen up a bit. We need a break to get other stuff done.
Shirley, we had a couple pleasantly cool days and nights but temps seem to be on the upswing again.
Chelsea, good luck on the Green House project. They are fun but challenging with new things to learn.
Hope I remembered everything.
No problem on shipping late as long as you keep in touch with your partner. I think I set the shipping date too early anyway.
BB

o

I have heard from Vina and we are great! Thanks for sending the book, I am excited to see it:) Sounds like you will be having pears for a while - yummo. Chelsea, I'd love to have a greenhouse. Let us know how it goes. Happy Thursday!

o

Hi!

Beth, yup! Nikki and I have been in contact. :)

Nikki, still need your addy :)

Have a great night!
vina

ps. LOVE PEARS! YUMMY!!

o

Thu, Sep 19, 13 at 13:36

Beth!! Your package came today!
Beth sent, for the NEW portion, a jar of Pear Apple Jam, AND a jar of Honey Ginger Pears! What a great gift! Can hardly wait to try them!
For the OLD portion of the swap package, she sent two daylilies, Moon Reverie and Yellow Bouquet. Will need to google these, probably very lovely. I usually send any daylilies on to my SIL, who loves and collects them, but may just keep the Moon Reverie, perfect, Beth, it fits in very nicely with a new bed I'm doing. Thank You!
This was really a great package, but there is more to come! My Something Special is still in transit, can't wait to see what it is!
Beth, thank you for a very thoughtful gift. Will try the jam as soon as I get some biscuits made. THANK YOU!!

Shirley!

This post was edited by sjc48 on Thu, Sep 19, 13 at 13:44

o

Shirley, glad you enjoyed the package. Hope you like the jam. We both thought it was very good.
this photo is butterflies on the pears in the compost heap. The ones that look like brown leaves are a pretty coppery orange on top but I never get a shot of the pretty side

Michelle is having computer problems but is in touch with Che;sea so things sound good.
BB

o

Alana!! Your package came today! WOWZA!

Im not sure if I can thank you enough Alana! Yes, LOL I have a sense of humor and just LOVED the trio of surprises you sent!

Alana included:

something old - garnish gardens book (absolutely love it!)
something new - a package of Queen of the Night tulips (LOVE)
and something just for you - PINK flamingos! LOL I just love them! They are outside in my tropical bed enjoying the last few days of summer =)

Thank you so much Alana! Really enjoyed the swap Your box was mailed out today. Hope you enjoy what i sent as well =)

Many thanks!
Jayeanne/pinkiris

Sorry in the delay of shipping, I had fractured my ankle earlier in the week so that has slowed me down a little, but still going at it =)

o

Just printed out my label for Sue's box. I am sending it first thing in the morning. Says it will be delivered Monday if I do so but I will believe it when I see it. I am betting on Tuesday.

I hope you like it Sue.
DC 9405 5036 9930 0065 9900 31
Margo

This post was edited by smitties on Thu, Sep 19, 13 at 22:02

o

I'm glad it finally arrived, Pink. It was a day past the promised date and it seemed to have disappeared in Knoxville so I was getting worried.
It takes a "special" kind of gardener, like me, lol, to appreciate pink Flamingos.
Alana

o

Great packages going on in this swap. Love the humor and creativity. I love pink flamingos too as most of them have an interesting story to go with them. It takes a special sort of person ya know
My packages arrived from Shirley and I am SO excited!!!!!. Just love it and don't know where to begin telling about it.
Something old is a gardening magazine with several articles that I am anxious to read and think I might be able to use.
Something new is a collection of New to me plants for my NEW gardesn here at the "farm"
Both a butterfly weed and a butterfly bush ( both things I hoped to have someday), an echinacea purpurea, would you believe I have never had one.
A Fullers Teasel. I need to look this up. And, a wild indigo. We are doing a flowering shrub "hedge" across the front. Hope to include this in there.
What a lot of wonderful goodies but then, there is still the Something Special part that is just fantastic!
Shirley sent me a special calendar made up with a collection of her photos. Just beautiful shots of flowers, many with butterflies and one with a dragonfly. One is an American Bald eagle in a snow storm. That makes me homesick for Alaska. Loved the snow and the wildlife
Shirley , you are just amazing and I can't thank you enough
Oh, the first photo is of the butterfly weed she sent and it is both huge and beautiful. I love it . Much bigger and prettier than the one I had thought about rescuing. LOL I can hardly wait to see it bloom.
Many many thanks and smiles.

o

Fri, Sep 20, 13 at 19:43

Beth, glad you liked the package. I hope the plants do well for you, The Echinacea was a bit pathetic, sorry, it has been stuck back in a corner behind a lot of other plants and never got much sun. The Echinaceas I've moved have all sulked the next year, sorry bout that too! But maybe it won't for you. The Indigo will be great for a floral hedge, it gets big! But really pretty!

This has been a great swap, lots of great Olds, News and Special to Yous! Thanks for hosting, Beth!
Shirley!

o

Shirley, Am i right that the cluster of roots go toward the top and the LONG one goes down? Wow that is a hefty plant. Can't wait to see it growing

o

Sat, Sep 21, 13 at 17:14

Beth, the LONG one is the tap root, or a small part of the tap root, it was growing horizontally. So: 6" hole for the clustered root part and a trench moving out from that for the LONG portion? Not describing this very well, hope you know what I mean!

And seriously, Beth, you don't ever want to try and move this plant. In as far as you are able. plant it where you want it to stay forever! And something else I forgot to tell you: place a plant marker where you plant it. It is late coming up in the spring. I thought it had died and all of a sudden there it was! I really hope it does well for you! I'll try to find a pic of it. Really pretty, well worth the 4 year wait!

Went for groceries, yuck.
Later,
Shirley!

o
re: new: mnf september swap new game

Time for a new game ladies.
It's s bit of a combo of 20 questions and the old game of CLUE.
Everyone gets one question and/or one guess a day. My answers back to you will be yes/no only
The answer is three parts, as in clue and, you must correctly guess Who, What and Where.
Example: THe gardener, in the library, with a candle stick.
The first person to guess each part gets credit for that part so there could be three separate winners.
There is a special event coming up in my family within the next 6 months.
You need to figure out who ,where, and what.
Hope I explained this OK. Please ask if you are not clear because I was not clear.
START GUESSING girls, I'm going shopping while Football in on TV

o

Sun, Sep 22, 13 at 13:32

Beth, where do we post/send the answers?
Shirley!

o

I almost understand I think, but do we guess all three at one time or guess each component separately?
Alana

o
RE: new: mnf september swap new Game

Shirley, post here. That will help keep from asking the same question several times.
Alana, One question that will be answered with just yes or no. Guess it depends on how carefully the question is stated. Probably easier to ask about one part at a time but..........maybe not
PRIZES will be spring bulbs

o

Okay. Here's my question for today:
Is the event a wedding?

o

Sun, Sep 22, 13 at 17:24

Here's my question for today:
Is the "who" your grandson?

o

My event: new baby?

o

My question for the day: Is it a type of anniversary?

And I'm sorry I forgot to let you ladies know that I mailed Michelle's package out on Thursday, she should hopefully receive it tomorrow. I was late mailing mine out as well :( I haven't received anything from her yet either so I'm assuming she got hers out late too, which works out for us being partners LOL! Hope everyone had a wonderful weekend!

Chelsie

o

Glad to see the activity on the new game. You gals are sharp too! Two correct answers already
Chelsea, thanks for the update. Sounds like the packages are moving right along.
Shirley sent/received
Alana sent
Nikki sent
Jayeanne received (broken ankle) delayed sending but OK
Chelsie sent
Margo sent
Vina OK
Michelle OK
Sue G Sent
Beth sent/received
I think I got these right, let me know if I'm wrong,please
Now, I held the suspense as long as possible. Here are the answers to your questions
Alana= yes
Shirley=yes
Nikki=no
Chelsie=no

o

So is your grandson getting married in your garden?

o

Is it your grandsons birthday celebration?

o

Mon, Sep 23, 13 at 7:28

Is your grandson getting married at your old home/farm?

o

your grandson....in a wedding....in your gardens

Happy Monday
Jayeanne

o

My box from Jayeanne came today. She included a Southern LIving cookbook for something old, Fritillaria meleagris bulbs for something new and Bath and BodyWorks body spray and Antibacterial Hand Soap in nice gardeny fragrances for the something Special. Along for the ride was a Halloween Pumpkin shelf sitter and a Reese's candy bar to sustain me while I planted the bulbs.
This was a great box all around, but my favorite part was the Fritillaria-one of my all time favorites!
Thank you so much!
Alana

o

I received the most wonderful box from Margo today - it is spectacular! The box I sent her pales in comparison and I promise to make it up to you Margo!

She sent:
Three varieties of coneflower I am just dying to get planted
Cute Solar Sunflower (special)
Low growing sedum plants (always appreciated) and a cutting of an annual that smells great!
an ortho problem solver book (old)
a magnetic list pad (just because) - believe me I always can use these
and something new - a beautiful ceramic leaf with a bird perched on the edge - really nice!

Thanks Margo - you're the best!

Sue G

o

Mon, Sep 23, 13 at 20:22

I received the "Old" portion of my swap today and I love it, it's just perfect, Beth!

Beth sent me a Butterfly ID book, an older one, that has a wealth of info not included in any of my other BF books, ie, wing structure, coloring, predators, and photography tips, just to mention a few.

Also has colored drawings/info of 250 butterflys native to North America. 250! Couldn't believe it, at least 20 more that can be found in SE Michigan! I KNEW the veined white could be found here, I knew it, and now I have proof! I knew we could get the Diana, too!

It is well written, a must for me, and very informative.
Beth, Thank You! This made my day!
Shirley!

o

Sue, so glad you liked the box and your box was just as enjoyable for me so don't worry about "making it up to me".

Sue sent me three very pretty garden mums. Mums are a favorite of both my husband and I and they are going out front mixed in the row of others. She also sent a red mandevilla which I have always wanted. This is going in a big pot so I can winter it over.

There was also a terra cotta garden turtle with a green back and he is stinkin cute as well as a resin frog which is a great addition to my collection. Really Sue, your box was super and I appreciate it. Thank you so much.

Margo

o

Mon, Sep 23, 13 at 21:45

I wanted to share this picture with you all. I took the pic about 2 months ago and thought it was a Pearl Crescent. Well, I was reading the book Beth sent and saw a pic of this BF. I thought, gee, a Pearl Crescent, WRONG! It's a Harris Checkerspot! It's host plant is the white flat-top aster, of which I have none. It was nectaring on the Zinnias out front. How cool is this?! SE MI is part of it's region, so I may get more next year, especially if I grow the white flat-top asters! Another addition to my Prairie Moon order!

o

Quick answer to the game questions.
All are Nos. Sorry gals try again
BAck in a bit

o

Your grandson is getting married at Faurot Field ?

o

Is it a going away party?

o

is it... your grandson ...in a wedding... in MO

Jayeanne

o

Tue, Sep 24, 13 at 20:13

Is it your grandson in his wedding at your daughter's home?

o

Lots of good answers to the question of WHERE but so far none are correct..
Alana, where is Faurot field?
The who and what questions were so quick I thought this would be done by now. Maybe we need a clue?
Shirley, love the butterfly photo.Maybe some summer you could host a camp in and we'll all come and learn photo tips. Wouldn't that be a blast?

o

My bad Beth. For some reason I had the impression you lived in Missouri part time. I must have dreamed that. It is the home field of the U of M Tigers.

My guess for the day:
Your grandson is getting married in the air while jumping out of an airplane. :)

o

Wed, Sep 25, 13 at 13:24

My guess for the day:
Your Grandson is getting married in Church.

Beth, a Camp in would be fun, but I'm still learning, so it might not be for a while! I could probably learn something of value from each and every one of you. I remember, in a swap a few years back, you sent me some really good landscape photos of your ranch. I've seen so many good photographers on these swaps!

Gotta go back to work,
later,
Shirley!

o

Hello
Sorry to be so absent, my computer is just stupid and won't log on to garden web anymore, so I have to wait till my hubby gets home every week to use his iPad.

I got my package Tuesday, in side was...
A climbing aloe
Mother of thousands babies, the little one have roots already.
And a wavy jade plant.
Also a burpee cookbook

Thanks chelsie, your package is finaly on the way, I was waiting for a package to come in the mail.

Happy gardening
Michelle

o

Your grandson is having a barn wedding.

(This is what my daughter wants)

Margo

o

your grandson...in a wedding.... in AZ

Jayeanne

o

I'm way behind on answering/commenting. Life is getting in the way. LOL
Shirley, you are correct it's in a church but I'm looking for a more geographic answer. Try for a state..........
A barn wedding we would all love but I guess the Bride was not game for that.
Alana, yes we do live in MO part time. We bought this place this summer and plan to be here summers. I love it here.
This is another of the butterflies that have been visiting the compost heap. So many pretty ones here but not ones that I know.
Michelle,thanks for the update. Sounds like a fun package. A Burpee cookbook sounds like something I'd like.

o

Thu, Sep 26, 13 at 8:22

Beth! That's a Comma, or a Question Mark! Or it could be an Anglewing of some sort! How Pretty!

My answer for the day:
Your Grandson in his wedding in Arizona?

Have a great day ALL!
Shirley!

o

Morning!

I get back to the house.. and what should be greeting me?? but Nikki's box!

Nikki! Thank you for such a thoughtful box!!

She sent, everything wrapped in pretty tissue paper and labeled (very cute!!)

In my "Old Favorite of Hers" was 3 glass bud vases.
In the Just for Fun" package was a lily notepad and SEEDS! Bee Balm, Columbine: Rocky Mountain Blue, and Salvia: Blue Victoria
In "New Plant To Try" Tulip: Ice Cream (wow! is this pretty!)
In "Old Favorite Of Mine"...what else??? but an iris :D Jazzed Up
In " New Plant for Already Established Bed" a very LARGE clump of Yarrow: Sunny Seduction

AND...last but certainly not least...

In my "Something Special" was THE CUTEST BUDDAH TURTLE IN THE WHOLE WORLD!! Love it!!! :D

Nikki! You are amazing! I love every single thing you sent!!

And, I know I said I was mailing this week, but, with the most wacky stuff that has been sprung my way in the last couple of days, I don't think I'm getting to it till this weekend.

Nikki and Beth, I promise to mail out on Monday **crossing my heart and everything XXXX*** :D

Have a super day!
vina

o

Your grandson is getting married in Kansas?

Vina, no worries here. I know how life can get in the way. I am in no hurry and have plenty of planting time.

Margo

o

YAY Vina, I'm so glad you were happy with the box:) I had fun putting it together for you. Take your time on sending. It has been really wet here in Ga all week and I will be out of town all weekend anyway.
I'm lost on the guesses Beth. I'm gonna let the experts figure out that one.
Have a great weekend everyone!
Nikki

o

Vina, very nice box.The turtle sounds like a kool addition to the gardens
.Back to the game.... the answer is the name of a state but not, MO,AZ or KS. Nikki hope that helps. Actually, I hope it helps everyone. We only have a few days left for this month.
Shirley, thanks for the ID. I don't remember seeing this butterfly before but today there were two of them. I Have very few flowers but the compost heap seems to be a big attraction.

o

I almost forgot to guess today.
Your grandson's wedding in...Illinois.
Alana

o

your grandson....in a wedding...in Hawaii!

Jayeanne

o

Thu, Sep 26, 13 at 21:36

Beth, there are several kinds of BFs who like rotting fruit/veggies, rotting meat, sap from trees and....dung! Have put all that stuff out for them, except the last! These BFs very rarely nectar on flowers, altho the Commas/Question Marks that I've had, loved the Echinacea!

I'm back down in Kettering for the weekend. The kids are headed back to NC in the morning and I get to take care of the girls! Fun times ahead!

i'll be sure to try the game again tomorrow!

Talk to ya all soon!
Shirley!

o

Jayeanne beat me to Hawaii which was going to be me my next guess so now I am asking is he getting married in California? Margo

o

Fri, Sep 27, 13 at 9:36

How about:
Your grandson getting married in Maryland?
Have a great day, everyone!
Shirley!

o

Nope. not Hawaii.
I was coming back to post a clue but Shirley has got it. My Grandson is getting married in Maryland.
Congratulations Shirley. You got two of the three parts.
Alana is the other winner. Congratulations Alana. Please send me your address.
Anyone want to try for the Date?
We are all pretty excited as he is 30 and it seems way overdue for him to get married. Plus, it will be like a family reunion as we all live scattered across the USA.
Good guessing ladies.
The swap is wrapping up with 8 of the 10 players having received their packages if I'm counting right.
I will be away most all day tomorrow. Hope everyone has a pleasant fall weekend.

o

Congratulations to Shirley and Alana. Good job on the guessing. Beth, good news on having all the family gathering together. It will be a special day for sure.

Shirley, I have what might be a difficult question for you. Do you have any idea what the yellow butterflies might be that have been flying around my yard this week. There are many of them out there at one time so I am wondering if they are migrating. They won't stay still long enough for a picture. I figure we live in such a proximity that they are in your area as well. If you could give me a couple possibilities, I can look them up on line. They are not very big. Thanks in advance.

Margo

o

Fri, Sep 27, 13 at 18:53

Margo, if they are a lemon yellow or bright lemon yellow, they could be a sulphur of some kind. They could also be Cabbage whites which have some yellow coloration, sometimes. If they look like they have "burned" spots, they are sulphurs. We get two different kinds in our area. Also, they show up in bunches in the fall. On wild types of asters.
I'll try to find a pic to post.
Shirley!

This post was edited by sjc48 on Fri, Sep 27, 13 at 19:05

o

I do believe they are sulphurs as they are brighter yellow. Thanks Shirley. I am hoping I can spend some time trying to get a pic on my day off.

o

FYI, I will be posting the October Swap this evening. I know it is a couple of days early, but I will be busy next week.
I know this one is not 100% wrapped up, but it's close, I think.
Alana

o

I got my package from Michelle on Friday, I just haven't had a chance to update yet. She sent me 3 awesome plants that are right up my alley! I got 'drunkard's dream', hens and chicks 'red wings', and aloe 'blue elf'. I included a picture for ya! Thanks so much Michelle!!

o

Mon, Sep 30, 13 at 7:05

Good Morning!
Beth, I received the other book you sent! It's called Garden Butterflies of North America. Beautiful photographs! Thank you, Thank you!
Shirley!

o

Chelsea, nice set of plants. I had drunkards dream and it is a fun plant. I'm partial to suculents.
This swap is about wrapped up now. Just waiting for Vina's package to get to Nikki.
I have prizes owed to Shirley and to Alana and will get them mailed as soon as they arrive here
This has been fun. Thanks to all for participating.
Bethb

o

Good afternoon!

I just wanted to let Nikki know that I mailed out her box on Monday. It's scheduled for delivery on Wed. :)

DC#9114 9011 2308 6661 2445 21

I hope you like it :)

Thanks Beth for hosting such a fun month!!
Talk to you later!
vina

o

Tue, Oct 1, 13 at 22:25

Beth,
Thanks for hosting a great swap, and thanks again for the beautiful books!
And by the way, the Pear/Apple jam is delicious, and the girls loved the pears; so did I!
Shirley!

o

Great swap, Beth!

o

I received the most wonderful box of plants from Vina today:) Something old: Egyptian walking onion, Iris Dusky Challenger, and Iris Quaker Lady (one of the oldest of her awesome collection of Iris), Daylily strawberry candy, and one of her favorites - Yarrow - Cherries Jubilee. Wow! There's more....
Something new (to me): Coneflower Ruby Giant
Something special: for my memory garden for my sister from Vina's memory garden - Sib Iris - Shaker's prayer and Daylily - Siloam Angels voice
and a sweet hummingbird on a bloom.
SUCH a thoughtful and generous box, Vina.
Thank you sooo much!!!!
Nikki

o

WOW nikki! I'd say you hit the jackpot. That is quite a wonderful sounding collection of Gifts.
Vina you sure made up for being a bit late. No one was worried anyway but you are a champ.
This has been a fun swap.
The winners of the guessing will receive their prizes an about two weeks. Late for the game but still OK for planting unless the weather gets totally crazy.
Thanks to all for playing.
Bethb

o

Whew Nikki! So glad it made it! I was a little worried with the size box I sent I know it was too small. And I thought that it would be busted open by the time you rec'd it. Glad you enjoyed everything :) Have fun planting :D

Super swap Beth!

Have so many leaves on the ground right now I can't even see most of my flowerbeds. :( Have an electric leaf blower but it doesn't make it around the yard...I think it's time to take a trip to Lowe's and see what they have in the way of gas leaf blowers :D I really miss my mums...they're under their somewhere,

Have a great day!
vina

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here