Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mamabirrd

UPDATE: 10,100 Traveling Daylilies

mamabirrd
16 years ago

This round robin is an extension of a wonderful group of talented, generous and spirited traders, the Traveling Daylilies, who when at all possible trade Daylilies. The way into this group is to have traded with at least one of us and to be recommended for membership by one or more members of the group. We are not snobs, we just want to protect each other and you from any game traders... should there be any. If you know any of us, email privately and they will be allowed to get you in on their recommendation. We'd love to have you!

The days are getting shorter.....it's almost time for pumpkins, hayrides, & Halloween!

~Dawn (mamabirrd)

Comments (101)

• mareas
    16 years ago

Cody, my wishlist is exactly like yours, with the addition of Tet. Lavender Blue Baby, Precious Candy, Holy Water & So Many Rivers.
    I take it that was a "no" to joining this month's swap, so...

10,100 Holloween Bulb Swap PartnersJean & Sharon
    Roxy & Marea
    Cindy & MaryB
    Carol & Shirley
    Dawn & Karen

***RULES***
    ~Send box in time for Holloween and include something seasonally fun or delicious.
    ~Send at least 10 bulbs, 1 Holloween item & 1 item off your partners bulb wish list.
    ~Pack your bulbs/roots/rhizones in groups of 1 or 10 or 11 of each kind, such as 10 tulips (you can make up your 10 with whatever combination of varieties you have).
    ~Surprise drawing for senders of boxes mailed by the 21st...

Roxy, I will email you to exchange our addys & wishlists :-) Marea

• brittneysgran
    16 years ago

Cody-Yes I still need almond puff. So sorry Sunday Sandals is gone, our Marea has it but I still have lies and lipstick. Marea and I did a great swap for daylilies I got several I was looking for.
    I liked these from the ones you posted:
    candie dwyer
    cabbage flower
    double eyeful
    edith sliger
    grandmas smile
    solid geometry
    tequila mockingbird
    I found alot that I have from your want list just need to make sure I have enough to divide. Will post those later.

Thanks Marea for hosting our bulb swap, now to figure out what to send Carol.

Shirley

• namso
    16 years ago

O happy days!

Dianne...many congrat's on your new GD Emma!. :) hope to see the pics soon.

MaryB....awesome to see you posting.. wwhhoo, i get to send a box to an old friend :). oh my....hints, wants, appreciated. i have very few bulbs, so ill be shopping anyway,,,,,,
    oh.....your crosses sound awesome. i'm going to take it you were impressed with playing with sharks? i remember anita posting a really nice pic i think. wold be interested in your comments.

Dawn- awesome update pics. :)

Dayliliy want lists- mine are as low as they have ever been. i spent a great deal of time uncrowding this year and probably havent recovered yet. Right now its emmerich's Heartbeat of Heaven and a dip of Norris's i even forgotten the name of. haven't ordered anything at all though....except seed. cant seem to stay away there..

$25/seed Marea? wow. im really in control then :).

Cindy

• mamabirrd
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey Cody! Glad to see ya'!!

Congratulations Dianne and WELCOME Emma! I can't wait to see pics!!

I totally forgot to thank Gay!!
    I'm sure most of you remember our long, lost TD Gay? Well, we had an unfinished trade from several years ago and to my surprise a box from her showed up the other day. I received several great DL's and the most beautiful hand-painted bag w/ birdies on it!! I will take a pic to show you all.

Not sure if Gay is able to get online or not, but thank you so much! I'm thrilled!

Also, to those of you that joined in the co-op run by Pam, she is now listing some goodies for Spring of '08. I've already ordered a gazillion different varieties of Alocasia & Colocasia, but the new '08 plants from TNN are listed now too. Wow, lots of stunners!!! If you haven't checked the co-op out yet, let me know and i'll send you a link.

Hugs2all,
    ~Dawn (mamabirrd)

• cheerpeople
    16 years ago

It's now 'run the heater' and windy weather. I did enjoy the longer summer. Thank you, Lord! I'm all for global warming!

Congrats Dianne!

FWIW I did email you back SHIRLEY thru GW about tradin'. I also emailed you DAWN about your swap box, but I'm not sure if GW gets the mail thru as well as the pony express! lol! :) Anyway, this is my first swap in a year? with TD so how cool to get Dawn as my partner. Thx again Marea for hosting.

I've got some reblooming DL- stella and mini stella are at it again. For the most part it's glorious asters right now. Like giant purple pillows!

That and kingswood gold ( chartruese) talinum (jewel of opar). Have you seen this stuff?
    I posted about it on the ANNUAL forum.

Yep- Love Pam's co-op too! Waiting on orienpets ( oooolala!) and got some allium ( love 'em!) recently too. Not too sure about new '08 introductions. I think I'll let someone else try them out and report on Dave's if they are worth it. I love the feedback on plants there.

Laterrrrrrrrrr, Karen /cheerpeople

• brittneysgran
    16 years ago

Karen-I didn't get your e-mail, I can't receive mail through GW. Seems like alot of others have trouble with their e-mail also.

Shirley

• mamabirrd
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Karen!

I didn't get an email either. Funny, 'cause every now and then I get an email through GW. It's really a shame that feature doesn't work right.

~Dawn (mamabirrd)

• mareas
    16 years ago

I sent a couple GW emails to Roxy that apparently didn't arrive, either. But rereading her post I see she didnt sign up for the swap, she just asked who was hosting it ~ whoops! Oh well, bigger reward for the early bird drawing for the rest of ya.

Karen, it is indeed "heater on" time around here! I was shivering from just the tiny walk into the office just now! I grew a little Talinum for a couple years - beautiful tiny flowers - I bet it is glorious as a mature clump. Photos?

Blooming here are my 'Fragrant Plum' rose and my 'Axelrose' Brug ~ smells like heaven! I have high hopes that the scape on my Siloam Plum Tree daylily will get a chance to flower too before the big "F"...

Happy sunny Sunday everyone, marea

• rockyridge
    16 years ago

Marea......no I didn't get any e-mail.

And YES I do want to be in the bulb swap......PLEEZE!!!!
    My name was on the list so I didn't think to confirm I wanted in.

I'll try e-mailing you later and see if I can get through. Gotta go make dinner now.

Roxy

• cheerpeople
    16 years ago

Shirley,

I have 7 of the pink LOV left, I was eyeballing your lilium on your trade list- but you might feel like me on trading them- ( I wouldn't!)

Dawn,

Um, It's too late for you to answer my undelivered email- as I packed your box already! Just need one more thing....I'll have to remember that GW doesn't deliver.

I sent a link to some garden pics to the TD group today. Marea the bright green/ purple pic is the talinum pic. Love it!

Get the DVD 'surf's up' Love it! Even got a few of the songs from Itunes now! Fun and clean!!

My dtr (8 y.o.) made a cherry pie from scratch today. Totally awesome. Come over for some while it's still warm!

Karen

• veeja11
    16 years ago

Shirley post a wish list please. I just love this group. no hassles here, and talon pics, the cutest baby in the universe at least untill my ggc is born. maybe if it is a girl we could promise them to each other, like the old days. hugs carol

• mareas
    16 years ago

Oh boy oh boy, Rox & I are all set for swap box mailing & I'm getting a daylily too! *grin*
    Love ya back Carol.
    I can't believe its gonna be SEVEN MONTHS until daylily bloom time again. My new goal in life is getting a heated greenhouse to change that ~ LOL! Thank goodness for the LA with all those luscious photos & my digital photo albums... I posted a pretty photo that I'm currently using as my screensaver on our RR photo thread, in case any of y'all want a little shot of Summer. ~ marea

• nyvoices99
    16 years ago

Good Morning Everyone,

Glad to see all are doing well, Glad to see a few MIA people posting:)

This weather is crazy!! went from 80 to 30 & back to 80 in less than a week.

LOVE the pic thread, OMG how beautiful everything is.

So sorry I missed the bulb swap:(

I still have a ton of plants to dig & pack away for winter, but I did manage to get all my Brugs & houseplants to the basement before we got a freeze.

I so wish I could clone myself. So hope to have more time this winter to post.
    :)Anita off to cut back hanging baskets & put away for winter.

• brittneysgran
    16 years ago

Cody-I haven't forgotten you, sure hope to check out some daylilies this evening and get back with you.

I have had company since Saturday. My cousin and her DH come for a week this time every year and hunt with my DH.
    She did pass on the hunting yesterday and we went shopping.

Karen-That cherry pie sure sounds good and it always tastes even better when someone else fixes it. Will try to check on some lilies for you. It is calling for rain (Thank you Lord) sure hope it does so it may be in a couple of days when my company leaves and the rain is over.

Hi Anita I plan to start cutting my brugs and storing in the basement soon. I don't have alot of things that I dig up except my Calidums will be dug up and stored. This is the first year I have grown them and I really like them.

Carol-We love you being in this group and I agree these traveling daylily people are great. As for the wish list I will be happy with anything. Bulbs you can use anywhere and everywhere even if you already have some. I love Hyacinths, tulips, daffodils, amaryallis, to name a few.
    Can you still plant daylilies there or is it too late?

Shirley

• barbamaman
    16 years ago

Message from the outer fringes...

At last, I have a computer of my own and a good enuf phone connection to even load this thread. Glory be! It's been ages. Turned out it wasn't only our usual lousy phone lines made almost unusable by the loggers' skidders chewing up the buried lines, there was also a short in the house wiring...

All better now!

So good to find out what everybody here is doing. I've missed you!!

Marea - if you'll verify your address for me I'll shop you a cute Sioux Falls Heuchera waiting for you in a pot.

Dawn - DD #3 is going to have another baby in the spring - if this one's a boy, you'll have to tell me all about little boys. There hasn't been one in our family since my father's birth in 1915!

Your Iris variegata has gone to town in our soil! I divided it and had extra to share.

Jo - I've been making warm sweaters and coats for Italian Greyhound Rescue. Mill ends and remnants of fleece and stretchy supersoft fabrics are enuf to make cute little clothes. I always think of you when I do fleece projects.

Shirley, your Iris have taken hold. We sure need rain too! We've gotten the beginnings of the family garden and the white garden in, as well as Irises.

We had a light freeze - the cotton and Castor Beans are done, now. We've been bringing in plants from the deck. I've reduced houseplants down to a more reasonable number. Our variegated Jasmine is really going to town!

I sent off a few things to T's bulb swap. The Brugs are cut down and I sent off some cuttings to the swap.

Susan, your Apricot Moon Flower plants did well but didn't make it to bloom. We had so many cool nights all summer, even the tomatoes were unsure.

Dawn, we logged off some huge trees and the hawks circled and screeched so that I wonderded if they felt lost, or lost nests. These last few days we hear the Owls courting.

We still have pods on Pardon Me. Gina Louise had several huge ones - last one picked Monday. Autumn Minaret is still blooming way up there in the clouds. I think I need Sears Tower too...

Karen, I grew Talinum Kingswood Gold from seed. Isn't it just the cutest little thing! Fat round chartreuse leaves with teeny pink flowers on looong wiry thin thin stems, and a million little jewel-like round seed pods. Such a silly l'il plant. We bring ours in and it's pretty all winter, too.

I brought in a big potted Hidden Ginger Deni's Meghan sent - no idea if that's a good idea. Anybody grow these indoors?

Dianne - Wonderful news of brand new Emma Morgan! What a pretty name!

Cindy, thanks. You have been so generous to me.

I'm leaving so many of you out - I'll have to catch up again. >

Barb

• mamabirrd
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey Barb! I totally forgot to post that pic I took esp. for you. I'll do it right away. Wouldn't that be fun to finally get a boy in the family? We really didn't have any boys either and it's been so wonderful!
    Glad your Iris are doing well. They are so eye-catching in the garden.
    You plant so many neat things....i'd love to see your cotton. I started it from seed a few years back but the seedlings croaked. : (

Hi Anita! I forgot to write you back...but no worries. Things happen. : )

Karen....your package will be going out just as soon as I get something in the mail that I would like to include in your box. : ) Hopefully by tomorrow or Sat.

We're still missing so many of our members. Hope to see more of you checking in soon!

For those of you interested in taking a peek at the exterior lighting I ordered for the new house, I posted pics on the other thread.

I'm also headed back over there to post a pic for Barb...but you all may like to see it. : )

~Dawn (mamabirrd)

• mamabirrd
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you Karen!!
    My 10,100 Holloween Bulb Swap package arrived yesterday...WOW, what a grrrreeeaaaat box! She included some of the coolest bulbs along with so many other fun things!
    I have to head out the door....babysitting Brooklyn today. But I will detail the fabulous contents of my swap box a little later when I have more time. It's way too much to type, lol!

Thank you so very much Karen! I LOVE everything. : )

Sure hope I get what i'm waiting on so I can send yours along by tomorrow (tapping foot).
    : )

HUGS,
    ~Dawn (mamabirrd)

• dirtpig
    16 years ago

Thank you Sharon =)

Recieved my swap box today!
    Hehe..You wouldn't believe the awesome card that came with it!!Its heavy so I'm thinking its going to play music.hehehe
    So I'm opening it and holding it this way and that,waiting for it to play.Awww its broken already.Darn post office broke my card.Sigh so I decide to read it..hehe..Sharon runs down the list of great things she sent me then tells me to push the pumpkin on the front of the card.Well I'll be,if that didn't work.Lites up the whole card up.Its a haunted house and the windows glow.Its just to cool.You can see it in the picture on the picture post.

Love the skellie napkins..just to cool
    Oh Oh and the BAT !!! Wait to you see him..EEKKK!!!
    Spider Web for the little spider to play in.
    Oh yes CANDY too..sugar babies You shouldn't have.Smiles
    haven't had sugar babies in years!Milk Duds,Whoppers, Tooties pops and Reese's pieces.

Ok for the BULBS
    Tulips,tulips and tulips
    10 Darwin,Van Eijk,Reds
    5 Fosteriana,Princeps,Reds
    5 Fringed,Crystal Beauty,Reds
    Good thing I LOVE Red Tulips and you just got
    to love the Fringed ones.So beautifully!!
    3 Pink Diamond
    5 Darwin Hybrid,Ollioules,Pink
    25 Giant Crocus,Mixed..been planting these in my
    yard(in the grass).Its kinda of cool to see the grass
    fulled with blooms.Now if the darn Squirrel would leave
    them along..hehe
    5 Scilla siberica,Star of Holland

Thank you,thank you.Love everything.Big big smiles
    Happy,happy.
    Now if someone would just take the rain away.Really really
    hard to plant in the wet and mud =(

Now the wait for spring to see everything bloom..hehe
    Its isn't even winter yet and I"m talking about spring.
    Lord its going to be along winter..hehe

Big hugs to all..
    Waving to Anita

Dirtpig/Jean

PS Just in case your wondering Sugar Babies and orange juice Don't Mix well...Yukkk!...hehe

• mamabirrd
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Back from babysitting already...Sis had a short day. I have to run for diapers, but thought i'd make a stop at home to let Talon rest for a while. Brooklyn is so smart....she was having her lunch and performing one of her new accomplishments....blowing on her food to cool it down. : ) So adorable!

Here are my goodies from Karen...

* 11 Pink Lily of the Valley (Yay! Wanted those for a long time!)
    * Amazon Lily (This looks very cool)
    * Pregnant onion (I love this, esp. since I was just preggo!)
    * Ornithogalum Saundersaie (Looked it up...gorgeous bloom)
    * 3 Glads
    * 2 Canna 'Louis Cottin' (Yay!)
    * 2 Canna 'Tropicanna Phaison' (Oh joy! Wanted that forever!)
    * Calla aethropica (Goin' in the pond!)
    * Liatris pycnostachya seeds
    * Castor bean 'New Zealand Purple' seeds
    * Amaranth 'Purple $h!t' seeds(Karen, is that name for real? LOLOL!)
    * Black Hollyhock seeds (I LOVE Hollyhocks)
    * An adorable black & orange bead bracelet....yes Karen...Talon loves it! Perfect!
    * The cutest....and I mean cutest candy corn earrings you'll ever see. I will take a pic and show you. Can't wait to wear!
    * Last but certainly not least....chocolate!!! Dove...mmmmmmm. I put them in my truck and have been snacking on the road. : )

I can't thank you enough Karen. I'm so excited to pot some of the stuff up to grow in the greenhouse. Do you think I can pot up the O. saundersaie now and grow it in there over the winter, or does it have to be stored?

Jean, wonderful box from Sharon. Too bad about the card.

I've about had it with the USPS. I bought baby T. a tiny parrot costume and it's lost in space somewhere. I'm so dang mad. Where does all the lost stuff go???

Hey Canna!! That pic of your sweeties is so cute. What a good helper she is! How is school going? And what are the kids being for Halloween? Have they decided?

Hi Carol!! Besides being the funniest gal I know, you're pretty dang sweet too. : ) I'll let Talon know he may have a wife already. ; )

Hi Shirley! Got any fall pics? I enjoy seeing your blooms!

T-baby is waking up so I better get a move on.

~Dawn (mamabirrd)

• cheerpeople
    16 years ago

Dawn,
    Oh good It arrived! I was just checking to see!
    I tried the O. saundersaie as a houseplant but unlike pregnant onion, it makes a lousy houseplant. Just bare bulb it in a cool dark place and when it wakes up it will not know it is not still in S. Africa!

Jean sugar babies and OJ? yup sounds like yuck!
    lol!

Got my first cell phone in 8 years. Cool!

Oh I so love these orienpet lilies! My co-op box just arrived. Yeah!
    Will be a-plantin' this weekend!

Yeehaw!
    Karen

• veeja11
    16 years ago

Thankyou all for your kind words, no wonder I love ya all. heard from mamma her back is out, and she has a new store she would like us all to come say hi, Talon just keeps getting cuter. still 4 or so months until his wife is born, hope its a girl. My plants are swimming in all this rain, I am molding. sure hope it stops soon been continuious for three weeks now. hugs green carol

• namso
    16 years ago

carol-you are too funny. :)

Nice pics and boxes all!

ADVICE- Does anyone grow grape plants, if so do you (can you/should you) cut them back now? how far? i got some in a trade awhile back and much to my surprise they grew. and grew. and then collapsed the structure they were on. DH is going to rebuild and it would be so much easier to cut them back.

Cindy

• mamabirrd
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Cindy!

Growing grapes at home is fun! It does require yearly pruning and a very strong support. But that is easy to do. There are several different ways to train grapes and some are better than others depending on the variety. Do you know what you have?
    Also, for most varieties pruning should be done in very late winter or early spring. Grape plants are very forgiving and respond well to pruning.

I'm growing Concord right now with plans for several other varieties and a really large arbor that I will be able to walk & sit under.

If you know what the variety is I can give you some better tips on pruning and options for different ways to train for optimum grape production. But basically after the first year of growth i'ts a good time to pick the thickest or strongest vine that is coming from the ground and prune off side shoots. That will be your leader.

We love to eat grapes right off the vine...Yum! But we are also hoping to try and make a few bottles of wine someday for fun.

Talon & I just ran over to the new house to take DH the rivet gun. He forgot it and couldn't do much without it. He is hanging the rest of the gutters this morning. Supposed to be like 80 degrees today so we'll be going back over to plant a few things and weed out an Iris bed (if the baby allows, lol).

Karen, Talon is getting a kick out of that bracelet. He loves to sit here and "snap" it. : )

Carol.... you need some Tilex Mold & Mildew Remover. Spray, let sit, then have DH hose you down. ; )
    Hope you get a reprieve from the rain soon!

HUGS,
    ~Dawn (mamabirrd)

• namso
    16 years ago

Hi Dawn, thanks for such a quick response! there are two varieties. they came with names, but of course i didn't keep. :). just remember one was better for wine and one for jam. i know i have both because some were green grapes and some purple lol. the best i can assume is the puple are the jam ones....havent seen much in the way of green jam.
    i didnt try them though, was afraid of insects as they were already laying on the ground.

I will happily and thankfully take your general advise though. will wait and prune them down to one main vine, hopefully im not too late...think they are 2 years old.

*****more help please******anyone around???****- i need maryb's address. her box is 1/2 done and will be complete in a few hours as i plant :)
    she is mia, probably workin :(.

Cindy

• namso
    16 years ago

Thankyou Marea for the address! you guys rock!

• mareas
    16 years ago

You're welcome Cindy.
    I just have to share with yall about how I was a bad, bad person yesterday: one of Herb's friends came over yesterday to do some carpentry work and brought his girlfriend along. She is a delightful person & we had a great time chatting about just everything & I showed her slideshows of some of my photo albums on my 'puter and explained what daylilies are and waxed poetic etc, as you can well imagine from me. She was oohing & aahing, so I showed her the Lily Auction and then went outside to help.
    When we came back into the office an hour later, there she was sitting in my chair STILL looking at the LA!! She turned around and said "Is "Brooks" a good seller?" LOL!! [the answer is OH YES]... I decieded my chair must be possessed!
    I felt only a slight passing regret at having enabled another one... ~m'

• toomanyanimals
    16 years ago

Jean,
    I received your wonderful box for the bulbs/halloween swap.
    Loved the many tulips and hyacinths. The iris and the allium. Also the pushinia, which I planted with some of the tulip bulbs, hoping that is an interesting display. Also the lilies.

Wow! so many bulbs. I did find places for all of them though. LOL
    Thanks for the ton of candy and the cute halloween container and the spider and web ... looked familiar to me. LOL

Thanks for a wonderful swap!
    sharon

• toomanyanimals
    16 years ago

Oh, Oh, Oh,
    I forgot to say I received some crocus from Jean also. I saved a couple of these also so I can try and force them. :o)

AND I received the box from Jean on Thursday, but we were going out of town and I didn't have time to post or plant or even open the box.
    Thanks for being so patient Jean in waiting for me to post about the box.

I just read about the other boxs everyone has sent, Great Boxes everyone!

Loving the candy Jean!
    sharon

• veeja11
    16 years ago

Shirley, I need your addy, your box is one half ready, do you have any animals ? I am going to try to post pics of my yard it is 3/4 done, grass is up, dh did great job. thanks to all my gw friends yard is almost full of plants, this spring should be quite a show. when is the tdl get togeather ? I gotta try to get off work. sure do wanna hug you all in person. off work today, I just love doing the big pieces, unfortunately they tend to be funeral pieces, I prefer to do them to christmas music. there is a big black patch in the middle of my lawn, it is because my tomato pots were there and we didn't wanna move them until late. I'm gonna start cuttings of my all time favorite mini rose for my tdl friends who want one this summer, it is super hardy and covered with little pink and white blooms. as soon as they are started you can sign up for one. we need a game. I will help with the prize if someone comes up with a game. deni did great games. hugs to all rambling carol

• mamabirrd
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Karen....heads up! Swap box is on the way. I have the D.C.# if you need it. Hope you like!

I had so much fun doing my 1st swap box after a loooong hiatus. : )

~Dawn (mamabirrd)

• brittneysgran
    16 years ago

Carol-I have yours almost ready to go....we got some of the most wonderful stuff ever today....RAIN...so greatful for it to. Will finish up a few things tomorrow evening and mail Wednesday. Gloria has not set a definite date as of yet for our Tennessee cabin get together but probably in the Spring. I can't wait to see who all will get to come. My family has a cabin rented for Christmas again this year there. We have a grand time being together, shopping and seeing one of the many shows there. We just got a Husky dog about two months ago, that is the only pet I have.
    Will e-mail you my address.

Shirley

• mareas
    16 years ago

I have fun just lurking on yall's trades! There are surprise boxes going out to the winners of the early senders drawing...

I have a smart brave pacific tree frog and 5 cats.
    We should do a pet survey again ~ see who lives with what.
    Maybe we could do that for post 10.110. *hint Dawnie??*

Rox, I put your box in the mail this afternoon & have conf
    No. if necessary. I sent you a medley of species & probably didn't obey the rules of the swap as usual but it was a box I'd like to get so I hope you're pleased.

Rebecca/Canna ~ You are right, I LOVE Moroccan Madness! I did some pollen dabbing with Bradley Bernard, Wild Horses, Starmans Quest in hopes of that kind of intricate pattern, yum!

marea

• cheerpeople
    16 years ago

Dawn,

I can't wait! Maybe today is my lucky day. Come on mail lady!
    I just won my ebay auction to get black label tape for my p-touch for plant markers. Yeah! and cheap too- $8 incl shipping. Staples wanted $27! ! ha!

Marea,
    I googled a smart brave pacific tree frog. Do you keep that in your house? Where do they come from? I have green ones in my canna- but- I dig my canna so- do they hibernate in the dirt, make a marathon trip from the creek?? For that matter- I got a water frog in my water container garden. He was 2 " long. Now how did he get here? The creek is a ways. I'd think he'd dry out AND get squished by cattle getting to my garden. There is no close water source for him to swim up! If anyone knows how they survive -20F and show up next year I'm curious......

My amorphs are tipping over and coming in. It' so cool to see the bubls! I think my biggest bulb is 5-6# this year.

Kids are off for a half day today. They are they going to learn how to sweep, mop...

My mare BUCKED off my 8 year old. I couldn't believe she would or could. We are all ok. I do have trust issues with that mare now...

Did anybody look at my photo link I sent to TD group ( not GW)? Just curious.

My 'giant white' calla from the co-op was so tiny- but it has doubled it's leaves as a houseplant. Looks very happy in the W window.

Karen

• mareas
    16 years ago

Karen, i watched the slideshow of your photos about 4 times ~ I just LOVE your landscape/yard/gardenscape!! I'm sorry I didnt post right away about it somewhere. Your Sweet Autumn clematis is utterly beautiful there on that corner! I have a baby Sweet Autumn that bloomed for the first time this Fall & I hope becomes as lush & dramatic as yours someday.

I doubt most people describe Pacific Tree Frogs as smart & brave, LOL, but since this one has managed to live in my pot ghetto out there for six months while hunted by house cats, I think he deserves the title. The closest tree here is 100 yards across the highway so I'm with you about where DO the frogs COME from?

Off to google tree frogs and amorphs ~m'

• rockyridge
    16 years ago

Marea, Your box went out today DC# 03062400000028163979. I tried to be conservative on the bulbs like you asked. It was fun finding lots of other holiday appropriate items. I hope you like everything.

It has been a busy daylily week!!! An older couple in my Daylily club has been re-working and downsizing their garden. Age and health has made this a necessity. I've spent several days helping and have come home with about 10 last week and 20 new daylilies yesterday. Several of us were there helping and we all came away with 2-3 fans of each. Don't even know for sure what I've got yet. Need to get in there and write them all down. WoooHooo! Tomorrow the real work begins....I've got to heel them in until I can get another part of the garden ready.

Is anyone else totally addicted to the LilyAuction? No one here, right! LOL This year I've managed to hold myself down to just 5 seed auctions.
    It was rough....but I just couldn't resist:
    Julie Newmar X God Save the Queen
    Asian Fairy Bluebird X God Save the Queen
    Leslie Renie X April LaQuinta

Karen, LOL....I'm glad you reminded me I need more labeler tape also. Isn't ebay great!!!
    I would love to see your photo album......you said you posted it to TD group (not GW) ...... I'm afraid I'm not understanding.... Is there another TD group? You also mentioned a co-op.....someone else mentioned it too....where would I find information on that?

Roxy

• mamabirrd
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Karen...I didn't get to see any slideshow. : ( I hope your package arrives today so you can get to planting!

Roxy, i'm assuming Karen meant that she emailed the group her photo link, but I didn't get one. Maybe i'm missing something too???

And I think that would have been me mentioning the co-op. I'll email you the info. I think I have your address. But please don't blame me for all the money you spend, lol. It is truly addicting and the deals are wonderful. There are a few co-op's listed for spring already.....musa, alocasia & colocasia, Terra Nova....
    I've already spent a fortune. : )

Carol, thanks for the rain. DH is going to have to paddle the canoe over to the new house.

Paul, are you okay? Been thinking about you & your family and hope you aren't in harms way.

Marea, I have some sort of wild Clematis (*I think*) growing over at the new house. I keep forgetting to take pics.

Off to Google wild Clematis. : )

~Dawn (mamabirrd)

• mareas
    16 years ago

Roxy, we DO have an alternate meeting hall & I've sent you an invitation to join in there as well so you can see Karen's beautiful photos.
    Your seed choices are so enticing! Even an ugly duckling from those fabulous flowers will be awesome ~ I know why you couldn't resist!!
    I've scooped up just one seed win on the LA so far this Fall:
    Magic Amethyst x Tet. Lavender Blue Baby (yum..)

Im SO looking foward to opening my swap box & will remember to post that I received it right away. Thank you already, rox!
    ~ marea

• mareas
    16 years ago

I forgot to add that I'm praying big time for Paul - I think his neighborhood is right there in the danger zone, I sure hope not...

Off to send Dawn that Yahoo TD link...~m'

• mamabirrd
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you Marea! Sheesh....I forgot all about the Yahoo group.

Roxanne, I sent you an email, but it was returned "undeliverable". I used the email address that Marea sent out to our group. Have you changed it?

~Dawn (mamabirrd)

• pchanggeo
    16 years ago

Hi everyone. Yes, we're okay. Thanks for thinking of me.

I went camping over the weekend and came home on Sunday just before the fires started. An hour later, I may not have been able to come home. About 9:30 Monday morning, we were ordered to evacuate. The Seco Canyon fire was ~1/2 mile from the house with the Canyon Country/Agua Dulce fire to the east, Castaic fire to the north, and the Magic Mountain fire to the west, all within 10 miles. When push came to shove, it was amazing how much 'stuff' I was willing to let go as I was grabbing what I can. Kids and pets came first, few clothes, some treasured gifts, few photos, etc. We went to my parent's house and watched the news all day. Finally about 5:00 pm, they announced that the mandatory evacuations were lifted for our area, so we were able to return home safe and sound.

Today, the winds have died down and kids were able to go back to school. I can still smell smoke and see it in the distance, but the worst appears to be over for now. We've been through earthquakes and fires in the past, but never had to evacuate... forces you to think about what's important in your life.

Thanks,
    Paul

• rockyridge
    16 years ago

I just got back from the P. O. My box is already here!!!!!

Boy that was fast!

Opening it now......

First is a Stargazer Lily...love these!

WooHoo....2 well rooted Christmas cactus..will be a great addition to my Epiphytic cactus collection.

Wow!!!! Daylily "Create Your Dream" Thank you, thank you, thank you....CYD is gorgeous and a parent of "Destined to See" I am already thinking about crosses I could make with it next year.

Some "Dragon's Blood" sedum...love this stuff.

7 mixed hyacinth bulbs...Mmmm I can smell them already.

Oh Boy!!!! A Dragon Statue for the garden....where on earth did you find this? I love it!!!

A variegated Brugmansia cutting. Always wanted one of these.

8 "Cragsford" Daffodile bulbs

A whole bag of Paperwhites. These will go in the fridge to force this winter.

10 pastel mixed triumph tulips....who doesn't love tulips.

and finally.....SEEDS

Seeds from 5 different Daylily crosses..Love these!
    Siberian and Japanese Iris seeds
    Oragon King seeds....gotta look this up.

FABULOUS BOX......I LOVE EVERYTHING!!!!

So many things from my 'wants' list....

Thank you soooooo much...I'm in heaven!

• nyvoices99
    16 years ago

Hi All,
    Hope you are all doing well,

((Paul)),
    So glad to see that you have posted & you are all right, Sure hope DW don't mind the hug, but I have also been thinking about you & all the rest that are living with this senseless fire, I wanted to gag when I heard on the TV today they believe it my have been intentionally set, what on earth would posses a person?

Dawn,
    I did not forget you again:) getting to town when the PO is open has become a major challenge for me now, as my GF that normally we go once a week has started a new job & DH don't get home till after they close, I will get your box to you, I will have to hold off a bit on your refund, as the IRS comes WAY before anyone:(

Marea,
    "Smart Brave Pacific Tree Frog" I would say he is:0) I love seeing them here, YES here in VERY cold NY. I often wonder how them tiny bodies can survive some of the winters I have had, I could do without the mating chirps, well never mind I will love hearing them again come spring, but after a month of them I can live without that sound:) SC Child Star is doing great, I am so glad my weather has been so great, it totally gave her time to settle in for me. Streps doing good too, Sedum, well lets just say I now know the name of what I already had all over:) Live & learn!

Karen,
    Glad to see you posting, I was involved with a Calla Co-op at the other place, not Yahoo & mine did absolutely Beautiful after the rain stopped & they quit rotting 1 right after the other, Oh I was so sick to see that much money just go to waste, but then i think about what I have spent on a few Daylilies that did not make it & think it could be worse:) Hey if you ever find out how we get them frogs I want to know, I just drained the pond for the winter & had 8 frogs in it, why they don't stay across the road & hang out in a real pond is beyond me? I so would not trust that mare either!!

Shirley,

Hope all is well with you:) Hey I think you need to visit your thread at the other place about Iris you posted, I have no clue how I missed that back in July? Did you get all your Brugs taken care of? I am doing some trading & postage for a few double / triples, I so can't wait till they are big enough to bloom for me, Then I will have to get rid of some of my singles to make room, but it will be well worth it. How did you make out with the Iris we traded? I think I did better than I thought I was going to, but really won't know till spring, I am seeing green on many that had none on, so I will hope for the best.

Hi Cindy, Jean, Mama G, Mary S, Mary B, Cody, Jo, Carol, Roxy, Barb, Sharon & anyone else in our group, miss you all & hope I will have more time now that I have about gotten everything taken care of for winter.

Anyone on here looking for any Brug's? I have a few cuttings rooted. They are only single blooms, it's going to be a bit before I will have any DBL's/TRP's to share. Well got run DH will be home & I have nothing for him to eat, YIKES...

• cody_mi
    16 years ago

anita
    what brugs do you have going right now? i definetely need some more

• cheerpeople
    16 years ago

It came today!!!!!
    My box from the lovely Dawn!

Oh my goodness. This was so much fun. It was like Christmas in Oct with way better presents!
    Here's what was in the huge box.

*a chlorophytum orchidastrum ' green orange' potted houseplant- soo cool- like flourescent orange!

*a buddy planter tool that is 6 inches long with a great handle and I can dig thru bricks like soil in style and comfort! So cool- will be put to use with the great bulbs! I needed some sort of tool for this- This is a Mercedes!

* 10 allium 'azureum'- I love blue I love allium. !!

* 10 'quail' daffodil- the bag weighs 3-4# these are huge!!

*10 'rip van winkle' daffodil-- I had to google everything of course- looks very nice!

*10 feather hyacinths !! Off my wish list!!!!!! ( muscari comosum 'Plumosum')

*5 tulip "atlantis' Oh those are so stunning! purple with yellow! These are my first tulips. How exciting!

oh and if that wasn't enough even candy for the kids and me- and yes they ate it right after dinner- I couldn't wait that long!

K says thanks and loves the 2 spooky cookie cutters.

and seeds- glorious seeds! sunflower heavenly goddess- which has me stumped on googling it. Plan for a tall type?

and a bean called 'dragon tongue'- spooky!!

Feels like I've been typing forever. Look at all the stuff she sent!!!
    Well thanks for making this so fun and fantastic Dawn!!! Hugs! and Hugs again!

Now I'll have to type later- as Chef Ramsey is about to kick some ____(bins)!
    And nobody kicks ____( bins) like chef Ramsey!

Karen

• nyvoices99
    16 years ago

Hi Cody,
    Right now I have rooted cuttings of:
    Milk & Honey
    Peaches & Cream
    Jamaican Yellow
    DR, Seuss
    Insignias Gold
    Temple Goddess
    Frosty Pink
    Apricot Glow, I don't believe that is the right name, I got it from Susan (Axelrose) I miss read the tag & have never corrected it, so It is whatever she was getting rid of a few years ago. A few of us have it.
    Can take cuttings from:
    Charles Grimaldi
    Candida Pink
    Insignias Coral
    I'm not looking for anymore singles right now, other than, I would love to replace the Snowbank Canna sent me that did not make it:( I think the poor thing froze in transit, would be more than happy to send now & retrieve a Daylily in the spring, if any trip your trigger, I need to move them out to make room for the new ones that will be heading in soon.:)Anita

• mamabirrd
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yay! I'm so glad you enjoyed your swap box Karen! I have a pic of the Sunflower...i'll try to scan it in later & post on the picture thread. It's like a light yellow...very pretty!
    That Ames planting tool is on my wish list. : ) My old one has seen better days and I think i'll get a new one before they are all gone. They are so handy and i'm sure you will find many uses for it as I do.

Hi Paul! So glad you are all safe & sound. It's been really sad watching the fire coverage on TV. Just devastating.

Hi Cody, what's new with you? How are the chickens?

Hi Anita! Hey, how about instead of a refund you could send along some Brug cuttings?? If that works for you i'd be thrilled. I lost so many of my collection and i'd love to build it back up again. I already have 'Charles Grimaldi', 'Frosty Pink'& 'Dr. Seuss', so i'd be happy with any of the others. Rooted or not.
    I bought the new Brug. 'Jamie' a few weeks ago. Variegated w/ yellow blooms. It's tiny now but i'd be glad to send you a cutting or two next year.

Me & baby T. are busy today....visit from MIL tomorrow. I need to shop for ingredients for "French Pumpkin Soup". It's cooked & served in a pumpkin! My sis Jenna tried it out last week and it was very delicious. Lots of cleaning to do too.

Happy Thursday,
    ~Dawn (mamabirrd)

• nyvoices99
    16 years ago

Dawn, That sounds GREAT, Thank you sooo much,
    Long story short our accountant underestimated by $2,024.00 for 06, I was supposed to pay it by OCT 15th, I paid it the 18th & it cost another $47.00, Put me in a big pinch, boy they get you one way or the other, so I should have not bought any plants for the last few months, But you cant teach an old dog new tricks, though DH is trying..:)Anita

• marybz5ny
    16 years ago

Cindy, You are a CRAZY WOMAN!

I had gotten an email from Cindy on Monday that she had mailed my box. She said she had no willpower when it came to buying plants. That was the understatement of the year. I came home late last night after son's football game to find a huge box on the porch packed FULL of bulbs. I will have to come back later after work tonight to tell you all about it. There's way too much for me to list right now. Let's just say I'm going to need a good full day (or more)of nice weather to get everything planted! Cindy, I love everything - thank you so much - you went way overboard. I have your box ready to go and will be stopping at the P.O. before work this morning to mail it. I had been kind of waiting for a bulb shipment I had coming in the mail still to send some of those, but it looks like that is not to be. If they come in within a few days and the weather looks like it will hold for you to plant, I will get another box out this coming week to you.

Back later with details. Have a good day everyone.
    MaryB

• brittneysgran
    16 years ago

Oh what fantastic boxes everyone is receiving.....Love swap boxes.

Carol-I got yours mailed yesterday..The bad thing is I sent it regular mail through UPS...USPS wanted $27.00 for priority...good grief I didn't think it was that heavy but guess so, so be ready. I'm on one end of the map and you're way on the other end so they go by weight and distance. Sure had fun putting it together. I hope you like crocosmia sent you some, they are a new passion of mine and I just ordered more from England. The newer varieties sure are hard to find. Besides daylilies the crocosmias were my best selling plant this year. Folks see them blooming and want them.

Anita-I decided to add more spacecoast daylilies this year so I could see them bloom next year so I think I have the ones we were going to trade for. I broke down and bought Spacecoast Behavior Pattern sure hope it makes it through the winter. Will check out the iris post, most of the Sibs didn't make it. I guess $2.00 sounds like a good deal but they were way too small for a new plant. Japanese, Louisianas, and Siberians that I normally buy are 4-5 times that size and they all make it.

Shirley

• cannahavana
    16 years ago

Anita, unfortunately, my Snowbank brug did not return this year. We had a nasty freeze around Easter and it was one of many that got toasted. I also lost my three double brugs :(. They had done so well in the past in the ground. I also lost Susan's Axelrose brug that she sent me. It never did root for me and just shriveled up! I just wanted to cry!

Dawn, your brug Jamie sounds awesome!

Shirley, the DL you sent me Soldier of Fortune I goofed on. I accidentally planted it on top of some tulip bulbs! I don't know how I missed the bulbs when I dug the hole for the DL. Now it is surrounded by about 20 tulips poking out of the ground, LOL!