Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum

o
new: mnf october plants vs zombies!

Posted by poisondartfrog 7a (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 30, 12 at 8:50

The leaves are showing a bit of color, the air is crisp and the sky is very very blue. A new season of The Walking Dead starts in two weeks. My favorite holiday, Halloween, is coming and this year's MNF October theme "Plants vs Zombies" combines two of my favorite things. Perfection.
Make New Friends does not require group membership to join. Any GardenWeb member in good standing over the age of 18 is welcome. If you are new or have never participated in a Round Robin this is your opportunity to get involved. To join post here, then send me an email with your address and with your selection of swap options, 1 or 2.

The mystique of a secret sender suits Halloween and this one will be doubly secret. I am borrowing from Dan and Vina on this one. You can join the swap in one of two ways. For this swap you cannot choose to do both. Choose one only and send your choice to me in the email you send with your address. Do not post your choice here! Whichever option you choose goes both ways, you will send and receive the same option.

Choice 1. You will send (and receive) 3 plants or 3 different kinds of bulbs, or a combination of plants and bulbs suitable for fall planting. Preferably the plants will grow Halloween or fall colored flowers or foliage or have Halloween or Spooky names. You will include a Halloweeny item as well. Use your imagination. It could be some of your favorite Halloween Candy, a small Halloween Craft or decoration, your favorite warding spell, monster repellent; anything you want.

Choice 2. You will send (and receive) 4-5 packs of seeds, preferably with Halloween or harvest colors or spooky names. They can be commercial packets or seeds you have collected. You will also include a Halloween treat as in choice 1 above.

Do not post your choice here....Do not post your choice here....Do not post your choice here.... Email your choice to me.

Choice one must be sent Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation. Choice two can be sent Priority Mail or First Class Mail with Delivery Confirmation. Delivery Confirmation is not optional. Post here when you mail or send it to me in an email.

Sign ups will be until October 8. Please email me your address and you choice of plants or seeds swap by October 9. As soon as I have everyone's choice I will email everyone with the name and address of the person they are sending to. We will also play a couple of games for prizes. All packages should be sent no later than October 20 to make sure the recipient has it before Halloween.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new: mnf october plants vs zombies!

That game is soooo addicting! But the song & video at the end is totally worth all the late nights and laundry piling up. LoL!
Sign me up, please! I'm emailing you now....let me know if it ends up somewhere in cyber space & not in your box! :P

o

Well, I am enjoying that zombie/garden art so much, that I know for a fact I'm not a day over 2 years, but the calendar says I'm really a crone, so please sign me up too.

o

Welcome primrose, micyrey and bunny. I know you three "ain't afraid of no zombies."
What? You did not see micyrey post? Disappearing Zombie ink could be the answer. Or maybe it was a ghost post?

o

• Posted by sjc48 5 Michigan (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 30, 12 at 18:22

Count me in, Alana! Emailing ya!
Shirley!

o

Oh I am so IN lol...emailing you with my details :)

o

:( I'm gonna have to hold off a while...wanted to do it but gotta wait and see what this month is gonna hold...I may be able to see that I can do it by the 9th hopefully...depends on what other things I commit to as this month is gonna be hectic and I don't need to commit to "too" much right now...this is an awesome swap tho!

o

Welcome Shirley! Dianne, no worries, just let me know what you decide. You will be most welcome.
Happy October!
Alana

o

Alana, I would love to join! Please sign me up :)

And my choice is...
Just kidding! I actually read through ALL the instructions this time :)

Happy October 1 :)
vina

o

Welcome Susan and Vina!
Hazelnutbunny
primrose1x3
micyrey
sjc48
browneyedsusan
flowergirl34
poisondartfrog

We already have 7 players and I hope we will pick up a few more.
LOL Vina! I over did it with the instructions this time and caused some folks to be afraid to post here at all! I'm sorry if I caused confusion. The last time I tried to hold a secret senders swap my plans went awry and I was trying to get ahead of it-just one of my little conceits and unimportant in the grand scheme of things.

I'm home early today and even though it is in the 70's today I am pretending it is cooler and cooking chili.
Have a good evening,
Alana
Zombies for Dinner! Pictures, Images and Photos

o

Mon, Oct 1, 12 at 21:58

Chili sounds good, Alana, but I'll skip on yours, thanks!

We had a strange experience at work today - is there still a full moon?. Reason I'm asking, we had a guy come in today and ask to use the restroom. He was barefoot and very unkempt, which should have sent some sort of signal, but a co-worker pointed the way and off he went, past the men's room, past the lady's room and into our storage room. He took off his clothes, laid down on the table and started to yell for his mother.
It was just a little scary, but the situation was handled well. They got an ambulance and took him to the hospital, got in touch with his people. The concensus seemed to be that he was off his meds. I hope that's all it was.
Once we were allowed to leave the building, one of our title people walked back over to his office, only to discover, and remember, that he had driven over to our office. Yeah, he had to come back after his car and yeah, his face was bright red! He'll be teased for a long time about that!
Makes ya wonder what's in store for tomorrow!
Shirley!

o

At least he did not grow fur and fangs. That was spooky Shirley!

o

Shirley, that must have been a little bizarre. Glad it worked out ok. Where do you work? I know at our gift shop, we allow customers to use the bathroom and it is not public. They have to go through our break room and very small kitchen and we have our extra items stock in the break room too.

I am going to lurk for a couple days on this one although I will most probably join in as the idea is great.

Today is our oldest sons 30th birthday and boy am I feeling old.

Margo

o

Alana, count me in! I need this kind of distraction right now, and I've already checked to see if I have what I need to trade, and I do! The only thing I'll need to obtain will be the Halloween treat! ***sigh*** What a relief!

And while we're at it, could I get a bowl of that chili? It looks deliciously evil!

Happy Haunting!
-Dan

o

Alana, I just sent my info. Let me know if you don't get it and I'll re-send.

And now, back to my crypt.

o

Welcome Dan! I have a bowl of chili ready for you, but do you want it cool and coagulated or steaming hot?

o

I would like to join this swap.

Sending email with info.

Painted gourd I gave away three years ago.

Photobucket

Don

o

Alana, how about warm and still breathing? I love that fresh taste, don't you?

Morbidly yours...

o

Margo, I know exactly what you mean. Jump in whenever you are ready.
Dan, I did not notice the face in the tree the first time I looked-very spooky!
Don, that gourd is 'gourdgeous!' I am inspired. What kind of gourd is that with the straight handle?

I love zombie jokes but I will try to keep them from getting too gruesome here. Try these:

What did one zombie say to the other zombie when they were eating a comedian?
This tastes funny!

What did the vegeterian say when turned into a zombie?
Graaiiiinnnnss!! GRAAAAAAAIIIIIINNNNS!!!

We have a great group of Swap Zombies:
Hazelnutbunny
primrose1x3
micyrey
sjc48
browneyedsusan
flowergirl34
dan_the_mailman
dem_pa
poisondartfrog

Alana

o

Don, that gourd is 'gourdgeous!' I am inspired. What kind of gourd is that with the straight handle?

I love zombie jokes but I will try to keep them from getting too gruesome here. Try these:

This tastes funny!

What did the vegetarian say when turned into a zombie?

Hazelnutbunny
primrose1x3
micyrey
sjc48
browneyedsusan
flowergirl34
dan_the_mailman
dem_pa
poisondartfrog

Alana

o

This tastes funny!

What did the vegetarian say when turned into a zombie?

Hazelnutbunny
primrose1x3
micyrey
sjc48
browneyedsusan
flowergirl34
dan_the_mailman
dem_pa
poisondartfrog

Alana

o

Wowsers! Where did all of that come from? It must be a ghost in the machine.

o

It was a ghost writer, Alana! :P

It's hard to believe that it's October already, wowsers! The older I get, the faster the years go. I'm sure all the kids that are keeping me busy help with that, too. LoL

We're going out to the pumpkin patch today. Should be fun! They have a horse drawn wagon that they pull you through the fields with, lots of old -made-to-look-delapidated- barns & outbuildings, tons of scarecrows & other decorations. Of course, my boys don't care for it much, since they are basically all teens now. But my 5 girls love it. Funny, but the boys never complain about the pies & bread I make with the pumpkins we get, though! :)

o

oooo ooo please count me in on this one! I haven't swapped for years -what with all the babies, canning, etc..

o

Welcome Laura! It's great to have a new Zombie in the horde.

o

Alana, please count me in, Dan love the tree!!! Kathie

o

Hazelnutbunny
primrose1x3
micyrey
sjc48
browneyedsusan
flowergirl34
dan_the_mailman
dem_pa
garden_fever_girl
sinbadsmom
poisondartfrog

Here is one of several tips I got from a book on surviving a zombie apocalypse I was given last December. I will post these along because you never know when you might need to use your skills.
"The zombies will have a very abundant food source, but we won't be so lucky. As you struggle through the wilderness you'll need to forage for your own food, meaning you'll have to tell the edible plants apart from the harmful ones. Keep an eye out for safe-to-eat mushrooms and non-poisonous berries. You could even catch a few fish with a soda can tab, and make dirty water drinkable with a string, a bottle, and a lighter."

o

Wed, Oct 3, 12 at 19:44

Laying in a good supply of salt probably wouldn't hurt, either.

Quiet days here, cool, rainy but pretty too with the leaves changing color.

One of my favorite songs is "Zombie" by the Cranberries. Even without knowing the history, you can make the connection. Great Song-Great Group!

Have a great day tomorrow!
Shirley!

o

ARTIST: Hooters
TITLE: All You Zombies

Holy Moses met the Pharaoh
Yeah, he tried to set him straight
Looked him in the eye
"Let my people go"

Holy Moses on the mountain
High above the golden calf
Went to get the Ten Commandments
Yeah, he's just gonna break 'em in half

"Refrain>
All you zombies hide your faces
All you people in the street
All you sittin' in high places
The pieces gonna fall on you

No one ever spoke to Noah
They all laughed at him instead
Working on his ark
Working all by himself

Only Noah saw it coming
Forty days and forty nights
Took his sons and daughters with him
Yeah, they were the Israelites

"Refrain>
The rain's gonna fall on you

Holy Father, what's the matter
Where have all your children gone
Sitting in the dark
Living all by themselves
You don't have to hide any more

"Refrain, except:>
All you zombies show your faces...
The pieces gonna fall on you

All you zombies show your faces, I know you're out there
All you people in the street, let's see you
All you sittin' in high places
It's all gonna fall on you

===========================================================

While driving home from the doctor yesterday I noticed that we're about at the peak of all the colors on the trees. All those oranges, reds, and yellows mixed in with the evergreens are simply beautiful! I still prefer Spring though, with all of its promise!
-Dan

o

Dan that is gorgeous! It looks like fire.

What did the zombie's friend say when he introduced him to his girlfriend?
Good grief! Where did you dig her up from?

o

I would love to get in on some spooktacular fun!!!! Emailing now!!!

o

Hi Kelli! Another ghoul is always welcome!
Hazelnutbunny
primrose1x3
micyrey
sjc48
browneyedsusan
flowergirl34
dan_the_mailman
dem_pa
garden_fever_girl
sinbadsmom
kelli9699
poisondartfrog

o

Calling the Cat People on this swap (and I am not referring to the 1942 movie), would you look at this kitty and give me your thoughts.
I have been on enough swaps to know that many of you have cats. I am a dog person, but every few months someone drops a cat on me that I rehome. This week 2 cats magically appeared at my back door and have been here since. One is a typical Tuxedo cat, the other is something else. It is a young female with no tail. What I am trying to figure out is if it is a Manx born tailless, or if it lost it's tail.
I apologize for having you look at pictures of cat butt, but what do you think?

o
RE: mnf october plants vs zombies!

Oops! I left off the butt.

o

Alana, how cute it that cat. I have not heard of a Manx til now but I googled it and several look like this little one. I wish people were more responsible. The last kitten who found our door last month was sick and I had to vet her. It was worth it because a very good friend of mine has given her a loving home where she is doing just fine. I hope you are successful in doing the same for these two. This is the reason I get any stray we have fixed asap. There is a place near here where I can have it done for $25 dollars and it is well worth it to keep additional kittens from showing up.

I was going to limit myself to one swap this month but just can't resist this one so count me in. I just hope I can be as creative as the people here who have been posting.

Thanks for hosting. Margo

o

Fri, Oct 5, 12 at 20:10

Alana, it's not a Manx.
OHHH!!! It's a zombie in diguise!
Or just a plain cat zombie!
Hey, it could happen.
I need to get some rest.
Shirley!

o

Thanks Margo! I will add you to the list.
There are still 2 more days for sign ups and to get your option of swap options one or two emailed to me if anyone is lurking in the shadows like a zombie waiting for lunch.
This kitty will get a visit to the vet next Thursday or Friday when I am off. I always get my foundlings checked out before I try to place them.
Unless of course, Shirley, it is a cat zombie. In that case I might just keep it.
Have a great weekend everyone! It got down to 47 last night and is supposed to be even a few degrees cooler tonight. This crap is a few weeks ahead of schedule and I am not ready! Today the tropicals are coming in, if only for a few days.

Alana

o

Sat, Oct 6, 12 at 9:45

Alana, this pic should help in determining if it's a zombie cat!

o

I thought I signed up for this swap...but couldn't find my name. That what happens when retired....you forget. Sending you an email.

Finishing up "Autumn's Favorites this weekend and hard work. Been freezing everynight now.

Ellie

o

Alana, would love to join the MNF'ERS this month for "plants vs zombies". Emailing you shortly!!!!

Thanks much for hosting!

Annie

o

Please sign me up if it's not too late thank you
heather

o

It's not too late! Welcome to Ellie, Annie and Heather.
Shirley I will be watching the cat's eyes tonight to see what I can learn.

Hazelnutbunny
primrose1x3
micyrey
sjc48
browneyedsusan
flowergirl34
dan_the_mailman
dem_pa
garden_fever_girl
sinbadsmom
kelli9699
smitties
farmergirl2009
canyonwind
divahethr
poisondartfrog

This has turned out to be a very nice horde of zombies!
As soon as sign ups are over I will post a game.

o

Alana, it's looks like you just might have yourself a manx there. If you haven't already, pet it near where the tail should be. If it's sensitive and cries out, then it has lost its tail. If, on the other hand, it doesn't show any signs of tenderness or sensitivity, I'd say it was born that way (key Lady Gaga...lol). Your vet should be able to help you figure it out. In my reading I found out that the manx gene can easily slip into that of another breed. Whatever you find out, you've got yourself a cute ball of fur! Any chance you'll be keeping these two kids?

Fall is coming in fast this week! The temps are dipping into the low 40s at night, and today it warmed up to a balmy 44! While out on my route I saw everything from sunshine to rain to sleet! YUCKKKK!!!!! But, as you can see from that picture up above, it is beautiful, so I won't complain too much. I just wish it would stay like this until April, and then warm up again. I see no reason why we can't skip all that white stuff. Brrr!

Happy Weekend Everyone! And don't forget, Monday is another useless government holiday, so the mail will be piling up undelivered until Tuesday.

Dan

o

That's a great tip Dan. I will try that on the little cat this evening at chow time. And thanks for the PO reminder. I had a package I was determined to get out tomorrow but now I can relax.
I don't know about keeping these kitty cats over the long term, but they will have a home here until I find them a good place to go.
When Allie sees them she will be over the moon!
It is Daniel Boone Festival week here and I will be enjoying some of the festivities and food. After that and Halloween are over I start the annual "spring watch", counting the days.
There is one more day for sign ups and then I will make assignments and post a game. If it seems that I am a little slow getting you emailed, hang in there. This morning I moved this room around and managed to crush my modem with a piece of furniture. I have it taped together with duct tape but every few seconds I have to put my foot on it to get it working again. I will have to get a new one in a day or two.
If the worst happens before I get back here, remember this survival tip:
"Avoid heavily populated areas. If the zombies can spread their virus, curse or disease, a densely populated area will be more of a breeding ground than a safe haven. On the other hand, avoid being totally isolated, in case you have to face a horde of undead yourself. You want a moderately populated area that affords quick exits and good protection."

Alana

o

I'm running late this morning. I went to dinner with friends last night and we were out late.

o

Awww, would you look at that? Alana is still in her little black dress in the middle of that picture! Very cute Alana!

Here's a picture of my cat Bump sitting on the corner of my sewing desk. Those green eyes make him look like a zombie, but he's actually just a bit stoned at the moment. I gave him some catnip treats a few minutes ago, and he's really enjoying them. He's not quite sure about his leaping abilities at the moment, so whenever he wants to go somewhere he squeaks at me and I move him.

o

Mon, Oct 8, 12 at 13:42

Beautiful cat, Dan!

Something really weird happened on the way to work this morning. As soon as I figure it out, will tell you all about it.

Shirley!

o

Bump is beautiful!

o

Bump is certainly a handsome fella! Always nice to see his pictures! :) I am enjoying a cozy mystery book series right now that stars a Maine coon named Diesel. Well, his human is in there, too, but I honestly don't pay that much attention to him. LoL!

o

Mon, Oct 8, 12 at 19:23

Okay, here's the scoop on what happened this morning:
The City of Monroe has been digging up some of the waterlines and as I was passing one of these excavations this morning, I found an old bundle of documents half buried in the rubble.

From the little that I could discern at lunchtime, it would appear to be an account of The Last Great Battle Between Plants and Zombies! And if you find that slightly unbelievable, consider this: the documents seem to have been written by a Tree! A Black Walnut if I'm remembering the language right.

That triggered a memory and I searched my files and found a picture of what has to be the VERY tree. It used to live right there, where I found the documents. I'll post the pic in a minute.

Granted, my fluency in Treespeak has lessened over the years, and the documents are in sad disarray what with rainrot, leafmold and what have you, but this is what I could glean from the first few pages. They are falling to shreds as I use them:

"...the chants are starting again...I hear their fell voices calling...I remember and I am afraid, unto my roots...this time I am old and sere...our young ones have no understanding...no fear....but I do...."

Unbelievable. If I can decypher more of the text, I'll post it tomorrow.
Shirley

o

Can I still sign up? Halloween's my favorite.
Janine

o

Okay Shirley...MORE!!!

o

You made it Jaynine! I need an email with your preference of option one or two today so that I can assign partners. If you sent it already I did not get it so try again. Welcome to the horde!
Hazelnutbunny/Melissa
primrose1x3/Karen
micyrey/Michele
sjc48/Shirley
browneyedsusan/Susan
flowergirl34/Vina
dan_the_mailman/Dan
dem_pa/Don
garden_fever_girl/Laura
sinbadsmom/Kathie
kelli9699/Kelli
smitties/Margo
farmergirl2009/Ellie
canyonwind/Annie
divahethr/Heather
jaynine/Janine
poisondartfrog/Alana

And yes Shirley, please do go on!!!
Alana

o

When I got home and turned on my computer I got a peculiar error. I hope it doesn't mean anything.
I will be emailing everyone their recipient's name and address tonight and in the morning and if all goes well I will post a game for a Zombie reward tomorrow night.
I have to go now-I'm feeling a little....hungry.
Alana

o

Tue, Oct 9, 12 at 19:12

Alana, are those your only choices? Pretty restrictive!

Well, the work day was as I predicted: utterly horrible. People everywhere, over 300 pieces of mail, and the phones! I, personally, would like to KICK Alexander Graham Bell. What was he thinking?

In any event, I tried to read some more of the documents, but didn't want to push it too far; the writing is hard enough to read, when my mind is clear. But this is what I could figure out, before my brain shut down:

"....the signs are clear and apophracal (his spelling,not mine)....the portents ominous and dire.... and still, there are those who won't believe...or worse....BUT...the lightening WILL dance on their foul dwelling places...the rain WILL soften the ground...Heed me!....hear the savage voices in the winds...haste, haste...face them there...."

o

Hey poisondartfrog, it looks like a regular Tabbi to me.. the manx I have seen normally will have tufts on their ears almost bobcat-like. Not that I'm an expert or anything. I believe it's one of the characteristics that is dominant with the breed. Also the ones I've seen have a slightly shorter nose. We once had a cat who kept catching her tail in things (garage door, etc.. ) ouch! dingy animal! and it got quite short-- I would be more inclined to think it's a case of an animal with a past injury. Hope it finds a good home!

o

I will find out more about the kitty tomorrow afternoon. In the meantime both cats are putting on weight.
Your photographs are super spooky, Shirley!

Everyone should have received the name and address needed to send out your boxes and envelopes. Let me know if you did not get yours.
Remember, the deadline for sending is 10/20/12.

o

Alana, I just sent you the dc# for the package I'm sending to #########. Lol, you didn't really think I'd say their name, did you?

Dan

o

Dan, thanks for setting this newbie an example of what to do - Alana, I too have sent ^^^^^^^^^ her package, and emailed her confirmation# to you.

Has anyone ever packed an intricate box with 3 of 4 flaps down inside the box before noticing it when trying to address it? My inner zombie must be surfacing urk.

karen

o

Dan you can't be a Zombie, yet. You move way too fast.

The undead have provided a prize for the swapper with the most extensive knowledge of zombie lore. The first person to correctly name the persons, places or things below wins.

1. Musician, film writer and producer changed his name from Robert Cummings to this new name in 1996.

2.Some say the first zombie film was "Frankenstein" because he was reanimated, but the first modern concept zombie movie was released in 1932 and starred Bela Lugosi.

3. The last several zombie outbreaks have been attributed to a viral infection, but earlier zombies were more commonly the result of practitioners of this religion putting spells on their enemies.

4. The first zombies were reported in this island nation.

5. There are many techniques for evading a zombie, but if you don't want it to get back up you have to shoot it here.

6. Woody Harrelson starred in this hilarious (to me) zombie comedy released in 2009.

7. Nicknamed the 'godfather of all zombies', this director made the classic "Night of the Living Dead" and 10 years later "Dawn of the Dead".

8. This Stephen King take on bloodthirsty zombies was published in 2006.

9. This Saturday, October 13, we celebrate this day across the globe.

10. The award winning AMC series "The Walking Dead" is based on a series of these.

It will be dark soon. Take care,
Alana

o

Wed, Oct 10, 12 at 19:57

I've got 4 of the answers! Drat, the rest are going to need some deeper research.

Here are a few more exerpts from the "plants vs zombie" documents:

"...O Despair!..Woe and calamity!...we cannot enter here...how did this happen....one last hope...the moon...may she hide the light of her smile from them...I fear..."

o

What? No contest winner yet? Is everyone dead?
Off to the vet with Solar and Doc, my two temp cats.
Alana

o

It is raining here....I am doing laundrey....I am making Kaluha and maybe some Irish Cream....I am cleaning my dirty house....AND doing ZOMBIE homework!! I knew absoloutley nothing about Zombies!!

Here are my answers....

1. Rob Zombie (never heard of him)
2. White Zombie (never heard of this Bela Lugosi flick)
3. Voodoo
4. Island of Taino in the Carribbean
5. Shoot the head but try to hit the brain specifically.
6. Zombieland
7. George Romero
8. CELL
9. World Zombie Day
10.comic book series

Happy Thursday!

Annie

o

I have my package ready to go out in the morning. I'll email with DC when it's flying.

Whew...Night of the Living Dead used to freak me out when I was a kid! We lived across the road from a large, old cemetery. Out in the middle of the woods. Up on a hill. When the moon was full, it was eery. I've always loved cemeteries, they're very peaceful and relaxing. Love to walk around in them, read the headstones and think about the history. We used to camp out in the one across from our house, more for the "spook" factor than anything else.
BUT....my mom would play that movie to discourage us from doing that. It worked....for a while. Then we'd forget, and go back to visiting the cemetery at night. :)

My BFF lived in town, right down the road from the historical cemetery (with graves dating back to the early 1800's). Many important persons from our town's history are buried there...including Maude Duncan's little girls (she was the first woman mayor- ran the "petticoat government", which consisted of all women- back in 1925- and was the first such government in the US). Their grave is above ground- actually quite an interesting story to go with that- and when I was young, it was in need of repair. It had a large crack down the top that was just large enough to fit a tiny hand in. So my brothers would dare me to quite often.
When I was a teen, my BFF and I, plus another friend, went to the cemetery at night after consulting a ouija board. We saw several ghosts & spirits and basically had the scare of our lives.
I haven't touched a ouija board since!! And I've only been back to that cemetery once. During the DAY. LoL!
Oh, and they've since fixed the girls' grave, too. It's a nice little rock house, built on top of the above-ground tomb.

o

Thu, Oct 11, 12 at 20:12

Melissa, I like wandering around cemeteries too, but only during the day! There is an old one near my home, and I go and try to get decent pics every once in a while. I think my fear stems from my older brothers and their friends scaring us younger ones when we were little. They could really come up with some terrifying stuff!

Alana, any good news about the kittens?

And speaking of graveyards!! I figured out some more of the text from those documents and it really doesn't sound good. I would really like to read ahead, but don't like to handle them too much. Here's what I got tonight:

"....O Betrayal! O Deceiving One!....See...the Moon's path shines clear....foul deliverance...I hear Their abyssmal groans....smell the stench...They are out....they are walking..."

o

Annie, you win! I will have your prize out to you soon.
Bunny, I love cemeteries too. I co-authored a book about local cemeteries when I was in my 20's. The history and the
odd practices you encounter are fun to explore.
There is a cemetery about 20 miles from me that was reputed to have a grave that the earth had cracked away from and exposed the bones. Of course I had to go see it. Indeed, a large rock had shifted and if you laid on the ground and shone a flashlight into the grave you could see a small skull and other bones. There was no visible trace of a casket from above, but she was in a casket sized void walled with dark earth and rock. Research based on the tombstone revealed that the bones belonged to a civil war widow who died in childbirth soon after her husband was killed. She has since been covered again but she became quite a celebrity for a time.
Oh, the kitties. I got good news and bad news. Other than being a little underweight, which is changing quickly, they appear to be in good health. There are no micro-chips or tats to identify their owner.
The tailless one is naturally so which means no trauma. The vet said it could be a random anomally, but the shape of the eyes and the rounded body look very Manxlike and she probably has that breed in her background. The bad news-both of them are pregnant!!! I was not shocked about the tuxedo cat but I was stunned to hear the small one was. D#@$!!!!!!!
I guess that's why they got dropped. Try rehoming a pregnant cat...... I've got some thinking to do.
This is almost as scary as Shirley's story.
Alana

o

The zombies are out in full force pretending to be tourists
but since it's ok to shoot them in the brain I should be ok...thank god I learned that tidbit of info!!!!! lol
I sent my box out my confirmation # is XXOXOXOXOXLLOLOLOLOLOLOL

o

If we weren't so far apart, I'd gladly take one of your pregnant kitties, Alana! My girls have been begging for another cat, and I've been wanting kittens (I love raising animals from birth!!). But I'm sure there are plenty of cats needing homes in our area, too. :)

Well, my package hasn't quite flown the coop yet. It's storming pretty good here, and my truck likes to poop out during the wet weather. Grrrrr. So I'll be sending it along on Monday, since it's supposed to keep this up until Sunday. Sorry for the delay! Well, I know it's not *really* a delay, since we've got a few more days to mail out...but it's definitely later than I'd planned. I need to quit doing that...the "planning" thing. It just HAS NOT been my week for making plans. *UGH*

o

My almost black cat (white spot under chin) Shadow, "helped" me rake leaves the other day.

Photobucket

I plan to mail my box on Monday.

Have a great weekend.

Don

o

Don, that's cool!

Alana, I've always considered myself more vampire than zombie, so I guess the speed thing is okay, wouldn't you think? LOL!

Annie, congrats on winning with those answers! I took a look at the game before going to work and was going to do my research after work, but by the time I'd gotten home you'd already won! Cool!

Don't feel bad about having never having heard of Rob Zombie before, he's not for everyone. (insert some chuckles here) He's the lead singer for a group called White Zombie, and they make some pretty cool music if you're into grungy, ribald death rock. Personally, I like their music and have a few of their CDs, but I'd be a bit too scared to go see them in concert. It's probably best to take them in small portions. Rob also directs movies occasionally, two of his most popular are House of 1000 Corpses (extremely creepy and will mess with your mind) and the remake of Halloween. I like music and movies that you can watch or listen to, and still be processing them days later. The SAW series is one of my favorites because I don't care who you are, after watching one of them you are going to be dealing with what you saw for days. The music of White Zombie is pretty much the same sort of thing. Is there anyone else out there who likes either the SAW series, or the music of Rob Zombie? If so, do you also like Marilyn Manson?

Dan (the wannabe vampire)

p.s. Here's the cover of one of Rob Zombie's CDs, a good listen by the way...

o

Evening everyone!

Alana, Congratulations on your new family members. Did the vet mention how far along they were? Hopefully they both won't be due at the same time.

Bunny, I love cemeteries too. We have some really old ones around here. 1700's - early 1800's. The old stones are interesting. I've done grave rubbings for a while now, and sometime thats the only way to read what is on the stones. There is one large stone in a cemetery right by my house that has a whole family on it. They all died during the same winter. I don't think I'd go their at night! Not even on a bet!!

Dan, I'm a closet Rob Zombie fan too. And I love Marilyn Manson. I think he's very unique and eclectic. House of 1000 corpses...I saw that...I still see it...those images don't go away very quickly. Gory...very gory. What movie gave me the creapies that stayed with me for days was Hostel. There is just something about that movie...freaks me right out!

The newer movies seem to have more of a gore factor than a "class" factor that the old horror movies had. I'm a huge fan of the original Creature from the Black Lagoon, The Mummy, Dracula. They all had class. There is even a really obscure movie called Freaks. It was made in 1932, and used real side show freaks. I don't think it was so much horror as a precursor to horror movies. It is a very interesting movie to watch. There is no way this movie would ever be made today. It is not for the politically correct, that is for sure.

I'll be getting my package ready to mail this weekend. It's going out on Monday. :)

Have a Freaky Friday!
vina

ps. Shirley, those pictures are amazing!

o

Fri, Oct 12, 12 at 19:48

Don, that's pretty much how my cats "help!" He/she is beautiful!

My geography prof in college got his doctorate in "cemetery histories". And yes, we had required field trips to lots of them. Fortunately not at night, or I would have had to take a failing grade! He was a strange person.

I don't know of anything harder to get rid of than pregnant cats, unless it's the kittens.

I've heard of Rob Zombie but not White Zombie-which is kind of strange. I've never listened to the music, sounds like it might be worth a try--maybe!

I'm starting to get worried about the outcome of the Battle between the Plants and the Zombies. Check this out:

"...The Morrigan have gathered...they await the battle...they smell the flesh...and they have seen Them coming....NO,NO...straight for our defenses!....Oh treacherous birds!...."

o

I went to see Hostel at the theater but didn't like it. To me, it seemed like a rip-off of the SAW franchise, but that's just me. Wasn't there a sequel or two? I didn't see those.
I love the old "B" monster movies! They can be a bit predictable and the effects aren't up to today's standards, but that's what makes them so much fun to watch. Back in the 70s, there was a local guy who hosted a monster movie night every Friday night beginning at 11:30pm. I'd go over to my sister's house and we'd stay up to watch them, and yep, there was plenty of popcorn! Those were some great nights!
The best monsters have some story or history behind them, and that's one reason why I liked the Elm Street movies. As each movie came out, Freddy got more of a backstory and more power, and I've always thought it was cool that we were able to watch the "birth" of a classic monster. I'd rate him up there with the werewolf and Dracula, but I wouldn't want to go near his Dream Gate! Lol!

And now for another horror story... it's time for me to go to work. See ya! Alana, good luck with those cats and kittens!
Dan

o

Like White Zombie, although I don't care much for Marilyn Manson. I like the SAW movies and I am a big fan of The Hills Have Eyes, which is horrible. I love it!
Last night I went with a friend to a corn maze and got turned around somehow and lost myself. One of my favorite horror movies is Children of the Corn, and I kept thinking I would see Isaac around the next corner.
When I finally stumbled out the same entrance we went in, I found that the hayride had been delayed because they were waiting for me. I was so embarrassed.
My package is going out on Monday, too.
Have a great fall weekend!
Alana

o

There's no way I'd ever want to run into Isaac in a corn field, or any other place...lol! He's creepy! It sounds like you had fun last night.

I just checked the usps.com site, and my package is out for delivery. Someone's gonna get a treat tonight... muhahahahahahaaaaaa!

o

Sat, Oct 13, 12 at 20:58

I don't watch too many scary/horror movies-I get scared silly, sleep with all the lights on and we all know what that can do to the electric bill!

One that I did watch was Punkinhead (?) I think that was the name. We were at a friend's and had to drive home over dark, spooky country roads. My daughter loved it. I flew.

I think we are coming to an end with the plants and zombies. I am very fearful of the ending. The old tree seems to be very concerned with the smaller plants, flowers, shrubs, etc. The writing wasn't as shaky and the sentences weren't as fragmented.

"...Courage, my small friends, stand firm and be vigilant. Your numbers are great and we may yet be granted a victory. You need to prepare yourselves. Cut back where necessary, spread the mulch, and re-seed as quickly as possible. Put your interspecies thuggery aside for now. And beware the Masters. They are everywhere and are cunning, compelling and beautiful. And think not of the Stash, lest they read your minds, find it and destroy it..."

o

Shirley, that installment is the best yet.

I have had a fun week. Everything in this little town is put on hold for the festival and a lot of auxillary activities in the area. After Halloween I will hibernate until spring, coffee stains on my bib and a pile of little seed packages I have traded for in a box in front of me that I keep picking up and examining while I drink...something refreshing. How's that for a scary story, lol.

I'm looking forward to Dan's recipient posting that she/he received. One mystery will be solved.

Happy day,
Alana

o

Shirley, I agree with Alana, and I want more! That's good writing! And now I want to know more about the Stash, and how are they vanquished? You keep writing and we'll keep reading!
Dan (on what feels like day 41 of the rain)

o

Good Day MNF'ERS,

I came home late last night to find my zombie treats had arrived. And the Zombie that sent my way was Dan The Man.

Here is what the ghoul and his kitty helpers delivered.....

*a very nice card
*seeds....Morning Glory Grandapa Ott, Morning Glory Heavenly Blue, Eggplant, Pumpkin carving variety and Catnip (meow)
*a black and white ghost dish towel....BOOOOOOOO
*seed baggies
*candy including a Snickers bar, A Kit Kat, some "bite" size Milky Ways and Hersheys Simple Pleasures

Dan, your treats are simply wonderful. Thanks so much!

Annie

I dig cemetaries!!!! In state, out of the state, out of the country, I have visited some great ones. The history on many of them is amazing....not only the people that are buried their but the "reputation" that some of the older cemetaries have. I am a very brave soul, sometimes to brave, but I have not taken that step of spending the night in a cemetary. Have any of you??? When in high school there was a group of us that would frequently jump the fence at the cemetary in the canyon in the dark hours of the night. Back then, we had no fear..LOL!

Happy Sunday!!

Annie

o

Sun, Oct 14, 12 at 14:55

Sounds like a fun box, Annie, Dan is such a great ghoul!

We visited quite a few cemeteries in Ireland and I found the difference between the Protestant and Catholic cemeteries interesting. The Prostestants graves were all around the church, and very plain, which, to me, is very, for lack of a better word, cozy or homey. I found that in the Smoky Mountains too. The graveyards in Ireland are all so old and different from even our older cememteries. Some of the stones lay flat on the ground, and some plots are surrounded by low railings of wrought iron, or stones.

We've visited Hollywood Cemetery in Richmond, VA. It is HUGE! And I would love to visit St. Louis #1 in New Orleans; all the burials are above ground, in vaults, forming a little city of tombs! Well, not so little.

But NEVER at night! Not once!

Dan, I agree, his writing did improve, didn't it?
"The Stash" could mean many things, and I have yet to read of it being vanquished. I would think that it refers to a stash of seeds, bulbs, roots; which makes sense if you think about it. I could be wrong but what are the chances the old tree is talking about quilts? Not that quilts aren't important!

I didn't have time to read any of the documents today, but I found this picture of what I am pretty sure are some of the Masters. I think it only makes sense that some Masters could be birds. Birds aren't intentionally evil, but they are very self-centered, due to their lifestyle: feed, breed, migrate-that's it. Their existence is one of the harshest and some of them could feel great resentment at Man's hand in the harshness. This is all guesswork on my part, and remember, the Masters could be anything....or anybody.

o

Those are super Halloween treats Annie! Great job, Dan.
9:00 pm eastern on AMC tonight is the premier of season 3 of "The Walking Dead". Yipee!!

o

Anne, I'm glad you liked your treats. If you'd like to co-ordinate your kitchen with the towel, I got it at joanns fabric store. I couldn't remember if you have cats or not, but if you don't, grow that catnip outside and you'll have plenty visiting your yard, even some black ones... lol!
Here in Michigan we've been getting rain for the past few days with no end in sight. There's been talk about building an ark, and I have a new lake out front. I'd hoped to do some yard work either today or tomorrow, but it looks like I'll be staying indoors, hoping the small sinkhole in the front yard doesn't get any bigger. Yep, I said sinkhole, but don't get alarmed. Earlier this summer the park management did some drain work, and the soil is still settling. They've come twice to add more soil, and it looks like they'll be coming again once this rain stops.
Oh, Annie asked if any of us had ever spent the night in a cemetary. I did once, I wasn't alone, and all I'm going to say is that's not the only unusual place I've taken a girl. Lol, I can hear your minds thinking, but don't expect any more than that.
Talk to you all later, it's time to make more sandbags.
Dan

o

My box is heading out tomorrow. The DC has been emailed to our leader.

Whomever receives this box, please open very carefully. I don't think the little creepers will remain alive in transit.

Margo

o

Sun, Oct 14, 12 at 21:37

Little creepers?! EEEEKK!!

o

Nice box Annie...good job Dan! I had a lot of fun assembling mine and it'll be in tomorrow's mail.
Shirley-I can't wait for the rest of the story!
Alana-any takers on your little mommies? Like Bunny, I also wish I could take one! Here's our little throw-away cat (found on the side of a busy road): the day I brought him home and a more recent one of him doing his vampire zombie impression.
merry day 1merry
AND his brother, Schizzy, the king (my sister found him in a dumpster).
Photobucket
He loves Halloween, too.

o

LoL, Dan!! I'm trying to keep my mind from wandering into some weird territory, there...but....Yeah, it's not working! :P
A-HEM.
Anyway....Just popped on to say that my package of spooky delights is, indeed, on it's way. Should arrive at it's destination in 2-3 days, depending on a variety of factors like rain, sleet, snow, hail, full moons, and if Krispy Kreme has their special on halloween donuts. That always seems to distract my mailman. Rightfully so! :D

o

Janine, I wish I could share my cats with you and Bunny, lol.
Poor kitties must have been household pets because they ran straight to my bed and had a snooze the first time they got in the house. I did not even know they had run in with me when I brought in groceries until I discovered a cat on my pillow.
Solar, the tuxedo cat that looks a little like Don's cat, is the closest to giving birth. The neighbors will change my name from "that crazy plant lady" to "that crazy cat lady" when I have 2 litters of kittens to find homes for.

Lots of Halloween packages have taken to the air like witches during a full moon. There are still 5 days to get them in the mail.

Bunny, even a Zombie would be distracted by Krispy Kreme's!

The party is over, so to speak. Back to work.
Alana

o

Mon, Oct 15, 12 at 7:49

It is indeed over, Alana! Although I've always thought it was rather sad that I have to go back to work on Mondays just to rest up from the weekend!

Jaynine, great looking cats! In a dumpster? Dear Lord.

Margo, it poured rain here all night!

Have a great day All!
Shirley!

o

I mailed my swap this morning. DC# 0312 1430 0001 3638 7309

Don

o

My abject apologies to my zombie pal. I am such a stickler for Delivery Confirmation and today when I went to put several large envelopes in the mail, I put that one in with all the rest. I had meant to go in the PO and get DC on that one. Rather than risk getting arrested for trying to fish things back out of a drop box, I opted to let it go.
If my receiver does not post that they have it by the weekend I will send another, correctly this time.
My bad.

o

Mon, Oct 15, 12 at 19:28

Well, the news isn't good, on several levels. First, the documents are almost all fragmented. And secondly, what I could read is really bad!

"... we are surrounded...cut off...uprooted...they are an endless horde...their foul breath creates a miasma that we cannot penetrate...their rotting fingers reach for our roots...there is a vast sense of desolation...great swaths of devastation...everywhere...everywhere...none of our messengers have returned...was the Stash secured?...our isolation is complete...we await Them here...at the last place..."

o

Under cover of rain and darkness, Heather's box of goodies landed on our hill, and there's enough candy, decorations & party favors in there to entertain hordes of zombies - glow-in-the-dark necklaces to eerily light the dark; cooky cutters and a orange, flexible muffin? thingy that looks like some kind of mold for food? - but what kind of food? recipe suggestions anyone? purple cups and fright tape and spider netting and detachable claws to keep the Ghosts of Christmas and Halloween from confusing which season they're supposed to show up at.

And then the plants she sent are perfect for a witch's garden - Yellow Twig Dogwood for thicketing and Passiflora caerulea for vining; Purple Shamrock for Irish fairies and Mexican Petunia for spanish ones; montauk daisy and hardy peach chrysanthemum for tweedy English gardeners who need to be reminded of their inner fairy; a daffodil to bring the Sun to Earth and a croton to remind witches how ancient their roots are.

I have taken serious liberties with fact and logic - I fear the Grammaticious Authorities may be carting me off any minute - Oh Woe!

and thank you, Heather - am enjoying your box very much

karen

ps - Alana, so glad you decided not to tempt the gendarmes

o

Shirley - we cross-posted - I am enjoying your Saga of the Stash and exquisitely moody artwork so much - I fear for the suspense you are creating to come to an end - surely there's more angst to come?

o

hello
I got a box (I think ) from this swap, from karen.
I was unfortunently out of town when they got here, I did think boxes would ship so fast. I got home yesterday and unpacked it rightaway and the plant looks ok.
in my box were....
agastachie apache sunset
allium bulbs
unknown root div(card got a bit wet and cant read)
dove choc bars
english gardening magazene
nice halloween card
thanks for a very happy halloween box
michelle

o

Michelle - those roots are daylily tubers -

Hemerocallis 'Burlington Belle' - fragrant, sparkling orange, large, medium-late, ruffled flowers on a low-growing daylily. It echoes the apricot hues of the Agastache 'Apache Sunset'. Blue/violet/purple & white would make pretty contrasts to the orange/apricot.

The spring leaves of these ornamental alliums do not persist and compete with emerging leaves of summer flowers, so would be better among this particularly wispy agastache than daffodils. I think daffodils would be better companions among Agastache foeniculum (spelling?).

Well, I'm rambling - you're welcome, Michelle.

karen

o

Karen did I send Christmas stuff by accident haha. I'm sorry It was my husband's birthday over the weekend and I was scatter brains. The mold is a muffin pan if you make muffins in it they will have pumpkin faces I think. Take care.

o

hi
great thanks, I will get these planted today
great plants
michelle

o

Heather, if you can send such wonderful boxes in the 'scatter brain' mode, then, as a happy recipient, I think you should stay in that mode err at least until Christmas? lol

But regarding the flexible muffin pan - I'm a dinosaur - are you supposed to actually 'cook' muffins inside an oven with something so light and flexible? If so, 'tis a marvel - I fear I might be finding something nice to say about the 21st century.

o

Update, as was mentioned to our leader, my box did indeed get mailed yesterday morning. I hope to post office doesn't take a listen to the little scratches going on inside.

Margo

o

Tue, Oct 16, 12 at 17:59

I'm getting seriously worried here!
Margo! What in the world did you send?
To whomever Margo sent to: she usually sends great packages-I, personally, have never received creepy little things that scratch in the box, from her, but I guess there's a first time for everything! (Get it, FIRST time?)What if they scratch their way out of the box-in transit?
Shirley!

o

Your box sounds perfectly wonderful Margo. I hope the little creatures are still in there waiting to greet your recipient.

Annie
Karen
Michelle
have all received their spooky surprises.

More will follow shortly,
Alana

o

Tue, Oct 16, 12 at 20:03

Am I getting my swaps mixed up or what!?

The Zombies made me do it!

And folks, I have to tell you that I am unable to finish the story from the documents. They have completely disintegrated. Nothing but dust left.

So we will never know who won the The Last Great Battle Between the Plants and the Zombies. We'll never know if this was an isolated incident or if it was widespread, beyond Monroe. And we will never know who the Zombies really are.

But some things I do know. The Old Black Walnut Tree was destroyed right around the time these events took place. I have looked, on my way back and forth to work, for some sign of him, a stump or woodchips, but there is nothing, not even a depression in the ground where they dug him out. I'm glad I got all the pictures if him.

However, others were destroyed at the same time, and I found this picture of an old stump nearby. And it leads me to believe the Stash was saved.
The End

o

Morning!

That is one cool looking stump. Look at how the corners are curly! Terrific picture! And the stash was saved! Shirley, thank you so much for keeping us on the edge of our seats with your amazing deciphering skills of such old documents.

My package went out on Monday. Emailing you the DC...Enjoy whoever you are...MMMMMWWWWAAAAHHHAAAAAHHHAAAAAA

vina

o

Shirely, so enjoyed the suspense and intrigue.......you are one fine story teller!!

My ?????????????? will be headed out to ?????????????????? on ????????????????????.

Happy day!

Annie

o

My package arrived today. Our fearless leader was the sender. Alana included the following

A scary face door knocker which is hanging on the door right now. I have always decorated until we moved here to the country and found there was no one to decorate for. I love that I can put this on the door because I really miss decorating.

She also gave me a Halloween dish towel and matching oven mitt which I have never had these in Halloween motif and not really sure why so both are appreciated.

I also got a package of assorted seeds which are going in my 2013 stash and there was also a pack of Halloween candy.

Thanks Alana for the wonderful Halloween package. Margo

o

A package arrived today from Don. It included this adorable painted gourd, seeds for Blue Mini Indian Corn, 'Masquerade' Ornamental Pepper, 'Jack Be Little' Mini Pumpkin, purple Spider Flower, 'Golden Goblin' Gaillardia and some chocolate Halloween treats that have mysteriously dissapeared. Thanks so much Don. My silly pumpkin man in his ghost hat makes me smile every time I look at him!

o

Margo, I can't believe it traveled there in just 2 days! Wow!
Janine, the little painted gourd man is really cute! Don is a gourd artist, for true.
Have a good evening,
Alana

o

Wed, Oct 17, 12 at 18:39

My surprise package is on the way! Sent the DC# to Alana.

Don, those gourds are really clever! Have you done others and do you feel like sharing some more?

Karen, Vina and everyone, I'm glad you enjoyed the pictures; I love (and spend a LOT of time)working with them. I'm shifting into Christmas card mode now, and trying to come up with something different than last year.

Have a great evening, All!
Shirley!

o

Yesterday I dropped off my buddy at the airport so he could go visit the family, so it's a little strange around here, being outnumbered by two cats. My days at the office have been a bit long, so I waited until tonight to pick up my mail. Lo and behold, there's a package from Margo, and yes, there were critters all over the box! I had some cold pizza for dinner, and am sitting here with it in front of me right now. Stella and Bump are swarming the box, trying to get into it, so I'm a bit nervous. Who knows what's in there???
Uh oh, this doesn't look good. The card says "Dan, search the contents of this box for halloween surprises but BEWARE!" Yep, I'm even more nervous now...
As I open the box, I see cobwebbing being pulled by the flaps, some spiders, and a note. Attached to the note are salsa red coneflower, gallo peach blanketflower, noxia blanketflower, black-eyed nemophilia, and baby bottle gourd seeds.
Digging further, I find out why the kids are going nuts! There's a huge bag of catnip! Margo, thanks for remembering the kids! (sprinkling some on them now, that's always fun!)
Digging thru the cobwebs more now, looks like a skull, yep, it's a solar dancing skeleton! And two Halloween solar lights for the yard! Yippee!!! And plenty of webbing to decorate with outdoors! Kewl!
Margo, we love this box! Thank you!
-Dan

o

I recived my box from Melissa today. Included was a anti bacterial hand sanitizer, candy and seeds: which includes: Cornflower, Henbane, Tongue mix, red corn, Tansy, and cauliflower. Thank you Melissa.

Ellie

o

You're welcome, Ellie....I hope you enjoy the seeds. I tried to include things with a spooky/halloween name. I think there was bloody butcher corn, witch's henbane, candy muncher's tongue. I can't remember the others. :)

o

Annie
Karen
Michelle
Margo
Janine
Dan
Ellie
have received to date.
If I miss one let me know.
Clever Bunny; I love the seed names-perfect for Halloween. What the heck is Candy Muncher's Tongue?

o

Morning all! my package went out yesterday! Kathie

o

I received my prize from Alana.....

She sent me a pair of ghouly Halloween socks that say "I (imagine a heart) YOU FOR YOUR BRAINS"......
These are darling....cute...cute....cute!

Thanks much Alana!

Annie

o

Hi all! Looks like amazing packages are arriving everywhere!

I rec'd my zombie package from Janine yesterday. In my zombie bag was the most appropriate CAUTION ZOMBIES Halloween Bag. Which was instantly grabbed up by Taylor. :) A bag of yummy candies...already GONE! And my terrific assortment of seeds. Helianthus: Magic Roundabout, Nigella: Midnight, Sea Holly: Silver Ghost, Dianthus: Fringed Pink: Spooky, Nemesia cheiranthus 'Masquerade' (I've been wanting to try this for a while now. THANK YOU!!)

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU JANINE!! i just loved it all!!

Happy Thursday!!
vina

A perfect

o

It is always the perfect end to a day to get the mail after a grooling day of work and there is a Zombie Package. I received mine yesterday from Ellie. Thank you is was great. My package went in the mail this morning on its way to its Zombie recipient. This was great fun. Can't wait for the next one.

Kelli

o

Annie, I had to laugh when I sent you those Zombie socks. I hope you have a chance to wear them or share them, lol.

Nice surprises, Vina!!

I'm glad you received Kelli. What did you get?

Have a great day folks! I will get the thread and any outstanding housekeeping issues updated tomorrow. TGIF.
Alana

o

Home Depot has a zombie mulch game on facebook the more you play you can get free money off coupon of course I stink at it have to get like 1000 points to get the $5 off coupon. You have to drive your truck over the zombies to get points.

o

Fri, Oct 19, 12 at 11:29

Diva! That sounds like fun! I could get into running over Zombies with trucks!
Home on an early lunch. TGIF Indeed!
Shirley!

o

Alana, my happy feet will certainly be wearing those brain socks...later today...as I go a pubbing and a grazing!!

Great Zombie package Vina!

And Zombie Kelli, what did Zombie Ellie send your way????

Zombies and Trucks....LOL!

Happy Friday!

Annie

o

I got my wonderful box from Kathie! Thank you so much! Everything was wrapped with Halloween colored tissue paper and beautifully labeled. I got a black columbine, THANK YOU! A Grey Witch Daylily, THANK YOU! A Black Beauty Lily, THANK YOU! A Landini Lily THANK YOU! And I Giant Chocolate decorated Candy Apple that my 18 year old daughter took and ate LOL. Thank you, Kathie your thoughtfulness is much appreciated!!

o

I received an envie from Vina today. She sent a great selection of seeds & a package of "werewolf" fur (cotton candy with pop rocks added in).
Thank you, Vina! :)

o

A few gourds that I have painted through the years.

Hannah Hen sitting on gourd eggs.

Photobucket

I made this for a close friend of mine. He loves Wonder Woman.

Photobucket

I made many red white and blue gourds. These were patchwork quilt patches.

Photobucket

My huge snowman. My sister knitted him a hat and scarf.

Photobucket

Another red white and blue.

Photobucket

Don

o

A few more.

I painted these 10 years ago. I made mini gourd snowmen. Other years I used the mini bottle gourds as teddy bears, angels, etc.

Photobucket

Santas. I used llama wool for the whiskers.

Photobucket

A rainstick I made for my nephew. I made several rainsticks after I made this, but the rain sounds were never as good.

Photobucket

Another red white and blue.

Photobucket

Granny goose.

Photobucket

Don

o

Don, those are beautiful! Then hen is my favorite as I kind of collect them, living and otherwise. You make me want to grow more gourds next year. I will!
So far
Annie
Karen
Michelle
Margo
Janine
Dan
Ellie
Bunny
Heather
Kelli
and Vina have received.
I think I have been in touch with everyone so the rest should be arriving in the next few days.

I am going to check out the Zombie Mulch game-sounds fun.

Thanks Shirley for the spooky distraction and great photos.
Have a great Saturday,
Alana

o

Don does wonderful work. I was the recipient of Hannah many years ago when I won a contest at another garden site.

Alana, thanks for the wonderful swap. I had great fun and I just love the knocker on my door. Margo

o

I am going to try to make one next year, Margo. Don, what kind of gourd is Hannah?

o

I am going to try to make one next year, Margo. Don, what kind of gourd is Hannah?

o

I received my great package from Annie/canyonwind today.

I received a nice card and Almond Joy, Hershey chocolate bars, and Reeses's Peanut Butter Cups. Yum.

Double Daylily, "Painted Lady" rooted brugmansia, will plant tomorrow. (I try to plant by the Farmers Almanac and tomorrow is a planting day).

Seven packs of seeds vegetable and flower seeds. I love them all. And a beautiful silver shovel ornament.

Photobucket

I love everything and thanks to Annie for being so generous.

Thanks also for a great hostess.

To answer the question as to what kind of gourd I made Hannah from, it whas probably a mix, because gourds readily cross polinate. The comb, beak, and waddles were shaped from clay and put into the oven and baked.

Don

o

Ack!! Just now realizing that today is the 20th. I think my brain must have been scavenged from this week. Good thing it still works at least partly! I am prepping my package today and will have it in the mail first thing Monday am since now the post office is closed for the weekend. :(.. Ugh! There will lots of goodies to make up for the tardiness. Please forgive me and don't send the zombies to get me-- I actually do need the remainder of my brain.

o

I think I will grow the Martin House kind and try it. And maybe some little baby bottle or Tennessee spinners to make her some baby chicks.
Don, you are a goldmine of cool ideas.
LOL, Laura.

o

Apparently they have these newfangled machines that allow you to ship a priority mail package with delivery confirmation anytime day or night!! So-- I will be in fact sending on time.. off to the post office before it gets dark and the zombies come out!! Wish me luck. woot woot! for once I will be on time.
Don thanks for sharing your pics.. what cool things you make!

o

Apparently they have these newfangled machines that allow you to ship a priority mail package with delivery confirmation anytime day or night!! So-- I will be in fact sending on time.. off to the post office before it gets dark and the zombies come out!! Wish me luck. woot woot! for once I will be on time.
Don thanks for sharing your pics.. what cool things you make!

o

Sat, Oct 20, 12 at 19:04

Don, Thank You! What a creative person you are! I have so many questions, don't know where to start - is that a little chess set? With gourds? And what is a rain stick? And what is it supposed to sound like? What kind of paints do you use? Are gourds hard to grow? Do the birds actually nest in them?
That's enough for now, thanks for sharing, Don!

Groceries and laundry today, I'm beat and irritated!
Shirley!

o

Don, those are all rather kewl gourds! I didn't know gourds will cross-pollinate though, that's interesting to find out. What kind of gourd did you use for your rain sticks? In college (and afterwards) I had a friend who was a drummer/percussionist, and he had a rainstick. I loved the sound of it, but always wished he had one that could thunder too...lol. Can you imagine?

Margo, my little skeleton dude is dancing away here at my computer desk. I've been putting a sun lamp on him to power him up, and now he's a dancing fool! He keeps me chuckling with those big black eyes and toothless grin as he dances the night away! Thanks again! You always come up with the greatest boxes!
Dan

o

Shirley,
Thanks for the White Plains Penstemon, Salvia "Blue Spires" and Heuchera "Sashay" you sent -these are all new to my garden and I know will enjoy them. Thanks also for the generous treats.

Susan

Susan

o

Those gourds are so awesome!

o

I did not pick up yesterday's mail until today and I was glad I got to it before the Albino Bats in it tore the mailbox apart!
Kelli sent me a special box of Albino Bats. They were accompanied on their journey by some shiny pumpkins and black bats and all will go on my Halloween table. Thanks Kelli! I love spooky stuff!
She also sent some candy corn which I am munching right now as I take a break from bringing in some of my tropicals. The weather looks good for a while yet but I don't want to get caught with my plants down.
She included six packs of seeds, including California Poppy, Copper Pot. Perfect for a witch, I say.
Thank you very much Kelli!
Loved it!
Alana

o

Sun, Oct 21, 12 at 21:44

Susan, I hope the plants do well for you. Checked your trade page and found those; good thing, because I didn't have any plants that fit the theme!

There are some really nice packages going out!

Have a great week, everybody!
Shirley!

o

Annie
Karen
Michelle
Margo
Janine
Dan
Ellie
Bunny
Heather
Kelli
Vina
Don
Alana
have received.
4 to go by my count. The deadline for mailing was Saturday. If for some reason you have not mailed your box or have not acknowledged receipt yet, please let us know. It's almost Halloween.

Dan used to take his dates to the cemetery:
"It was a graveyard romance. Boy meets ghoul."

Alana

o

Wed, Oct 24, 12 at 8:09

Susan received hers!
Have a great day, everybody!
Shirley!

o

Sorry Shirley, I saw that and then left if off.
Annie
Karen
Michelle
Margo
Janine
Dan
Ellie
Bunny
Heather
Kelli
Vina
Don
Alana
Susan
Three outstanding. I think all but one have definitely been sent. I will check on the other in the morning. I may have missed an email.

Good news on the stray cat front-the black and white cat has been rehomed, and just in time. Her new mom called me this evening and said Solar is making herself comfortable in a box under the stairs.
That leaves little tail free Doc, whose tummy is now very round indeed, who needs a permanent home.

It's been in the 80's for a few days and will be for a few more, then it looks like things will get really scary around Halloween. The F word has entered the forecast. I can only hope they are as accurate as usual.
Alana

o

Good morning all!! Got my package yesterday from Garden Fever Girl, she sent a great little metal halloween candle holder with cutouts different one on each side, love it, it will be lit and sitting with my other halloween candles tonight!! She sent some grape hyacinth bulbs these will be great next spring and a lily and some purple iris. Best of all I got some crocosomia bulbs!!!!!!!!! Yes! Yes! Yes! I also see some candy sitting in that box! Thanks so much going to try and get it all in the ground today! Kathie

o

Thu, Oct 25, 12 at 18:20

Just wanted to let Michelle know her surprise package arrived today and I am VERY pleased!
Here's what she sent:
1. Surprise Lilies - are these the ones that bloom after the foilage dies away? If so, I've been wanting to try them. If not, I want them anyway-love lilies!
2. What turned out to be a large bowl of Halloween candy-foil wrapped chocolate pumpkins and an old fashioned kind of candy with a great orange taste!
And last but certainly not least, this beautiful little box, for trinkets or just small stuff, filled with more candy! Michelle, are those stickers?
This was a really nice surprise, Michelle, Thank You!
Shirley!

o

Annie
Karen
Michelle
Margo
Janine
Dan
Ellie
Bunny
Heather
Kelli
Vina
Don
Alana
Susan
Kathie
Shirley
have received.
I missed where Michelle sent somehow. What a beautiful little box!
1 to go!
Alana

o

I almost forgot. 5 kittens, 3 black with white chests and boots, 1 all black except the tip of it's tail, and a gray one. Reports are that mother and kits are all doing well.
I am running down the remaining box and will report back once I hear back.
Thanks everyone!
Alana

o

Just a belated Thank you for my box. Browneyedsusan sent me some yummy candy and some super plants. I managed to get them all planted before the snow hit this week! I recieved a blackeyed stella daylilly- perfect in my yellow pink part of my perennial bed! Also some orange crocsomia bulbs! -(so exciting as I love the red ones that I allready have)Also an Aconitum or monks hood, and spiderwort! I'm so thrilled- thanks so much Susan and I apoligize for the delay in letting you all know I got my box!

o

Thank you for posting! Susan was about to put out an APB with the Post Office.
That's a wrap folks! Thank you to everyone that played and made this a fun and successful swap!
Be careful out there.
Alana

o

Alana, I don't know if it was a "romance", but we enjoyed ourselves! Thank you for hosting my Halloween! Normally I go all out and decorate the yard so that even the parents are spooked/creeped out with the displays, fog, spiders eating babies, etc, but this year I took a break from it all, and still haven't quite decided if I'm going to hand out candy. Last year we had over 300 ghouls and goblins visit, and a lot of people were taking pics of the yard. This year they're gonna be disappointed, but with the hours I've been working at the post office, that's the way it goes. So, again, thank you for hosting my Halloween! You did great hosting, and Margo did an excellent job with my box!
Dan & Co.

o

Sun, Oct 28, 12 at 19:09

Alana, thanks for hosting this swap, it was a lot of fun!
Shirley!

o

Alana, Plants vs Zombies, great fun! And did I get an education on Zombies....LOL!

Thanks much!

Annie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here