Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
materwitch

NEW: Incredible Edibles October Sign Up (Autumn Harvest)

sunnyk
15 years ago

WOW...I can't believe time has come for the October swap already. Seems like it was just yesterday I was sowing my tiny tomato seeds, and now the Summer is just about over. Sheesh.

However,there is one good thing about Summer being over, our Autumn Harvet swap. We are going to swap a Cornucopia of Autumn Veggie seeds. Some examples of what you might find in your Fall garden would be ...Cabbage, Brussel Sprouts, Winter Squash, Indian Corn, Pumpkins...and maybe, just for fun, something spooky for Halloween....you get the idea :)

So sign ups will start today and end September 25th. I will post partners on the 26th. All packages should be in the mail by October 9th.

Happy Swapping!!

Donna

Comments (52)

• ejmoore510
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Me 3!

Joan

• sunnyk
    Original Author
    15 years ago

So far, So fantastic!! Got you all down :)

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

Don't forget me!!! I absolutely love this time of year!!! :D

• iheartroscoe
    15 years ago

I'm back in for this one!

• sunnyk
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh I love this time of year too!! It has been too many months since I had a crisp, ripe, fresh from the tree apple....another few weeks for that still!! And of course today the temperature and humidity decide to sky rocket...what can you do LOL!

Added you both :)

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

I loved Becky's drawing idea so much I'm going to make an offer for this months sign ups also. :D Drawing will be for "Handmade Autumn Harvest Bag" and it will be filled with seeds and misc Autumn goodies. Lucky winner will be drawn by one of my 4 yr olds when sign ups close on the 25th. Drawing will only be open for those that have signed up for this months swap. :) If anyone would like to make a donation for the winnings pot of seeds or any other small garden items relating to fall please email me and I will send you my address. :) I will post pics of the drawing also so you can see who he chooses and what the winnings will include!

It's been soo very long since I had a fresh apple straight from the tree! Oh the envy!!! LOL Weather here has been crazy due to the hurricanes. I really hope none of these hit us. It will surely flood, the ground is so wet it can't take much more. grumbles... My entire veggie garden is officially rotten minus 1 broccoli plant. LOL

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Ok, I am game...sign me up please...thank you.

If ANYONE at all has some patty pan squash to share I'm:) Fran

• pixiesluvplants
    15 years ago

I am in pleaseeeeee, add me add me add me!!! I want to play!!!

YOOOHHOOOOO see me raising my hand????

Smiles,
    Pixie

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Pixie for goodness sake SIT DOWN, your in my way! I was trying to read dear!!!

(SMOOCHES!)

:) LOL FRAN

• sunnyk
    Original Author
    15 years ago

LOL...I got ya Pixie...dont want anyone to miss October :)!! LOL!! Got you too Fran, I could see you from behind Pix there.

And I second the Patty Pan Squash thing, I am so wanting to grow some too...hint hint.......

Ok so far we have:
    SunnyK- Donna
    bonechickchris- Christy
    booberry85- Boo
    ejmoore510- Joan
    southerncharm1- SC1 ??
    iheartroscoe- IHR ??
    ncgardengirl- Fran
    pixiesluvplants- Pixie

• pixiesluvplants
    15 years ago

lol thankie Sunny,

ok I want to know what Patty Pan Squash are????

• grovespirit
    15 years ago

Patty pan squash are mainly being sold as "white bush scallop" squash these days. See the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: pattypan squash info

• grovespirit
    15 years ago

And pattypan (aka scallop) squash are available in at least one heirloom version at heirloom acres seeds.

I don't work for them nor do I have financial or family connections to the company. I just like their seed variety!

Here is a link that might be useful: heirloom acres seeds

• gardenkitteh
    15 years ago

I wanna play!

• luvgardening2
    15 years ago

I'd like to play TOO!

Nancy

• luvgardening2
    15 years ago

Ncgardengirl and SunnyK: I have some extra Sunburst Squash. If they interest you, email me with your address and I will pop them in the mail.

Nancy

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

I'm Kathy, IHR is Heather, Pixie is Trina and Booberry is Becky. :D

• pixiesluvplants
    15 years ago

hmmm was that a sound check Kathy?? Or a refresher course on who we are?? lol j/k. Trust me I like to think I am other people all the time!!! (Ok had to say that and kid around or I couldn't be me eh?)

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

ROFLMBO!!! Sometimes.... If I say it out loud... it helps me to remember. HAHAHA

• iheartroscoe
    15 years ago

How many packs of seeds should we be sending in this swap? I have to get my order in :)

• sunnyk
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok, gardenkitteh and luvgardening2, I added you on :)

Thanks Kathy for the names :) I hope I can eventually rember everyone without peaking at my list....maybe I should make mysekf some flashcards LOL!!

And thanks for the seed offer Nancy...I will definitely send you an email :)

Heather- I like to think 6-8 envelopes of seeds should be good...but you can always send more if you like. Also, I think it has been said before, if you order something special for the swap, it is OK to take some out for yourself.

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

LOL NP, Secretly keeps flashcards in purse to remember which kid is which! ROFLMBO!!! J/K They normally get call Doncortdyllhumkota! ROFL Seriously, it's a tongue twister. And to see someones face when you are giving birthdates for a prescription and say "No, wait that's not right" 5 x's before you spit out the right one, the pharmacy techs look at you with this deer in the headlights look like should we really be filling this for you or should we get you some help? HAHAHA

10 sign ups in less than a week! Woohoo! That's awesome. :)

• bonechickchris
    15 years ago

Hurry Hurry September 25th! I am looking so forward to this swap! I love October, the air, the changing leaves over my lake! It could be just because I am an October baby(the 7th!), but I get such good feelings when fall comes around!
    I cannot wait to go to the pumpkin patch! I grew some pumpkins this year, some where ready in August, so I do not know if those will hold up until October.
    Anyway, I am rambling! This is going to be such a cool swap! Maybe we can add a harvest themed item to give to our partners too! Ok,I will stop now! Christy

• booberry85
    15 years ago

I don't mind Boo. It fits the autumn theme! For years when I was a kid I was ShellyBuddyTaffyKitsy You With The Face! Mind you Buddy, Taffy, and Kitsy were the cats! Michelle (Shelly) is my sister.

To stay on topic, I've picked up a few things already for the swap.

• sunnyk
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Personally I like Beckyboo...but that's just the Mom in me LOL!!

I can relate to the name chain thingy...my youngest absolutely hates that I usually go thru her 3 siblings names plus a cat and a dog before I end up saying either her actual name or some version of ...."ok whoever the h*ll you are go do what I am asking you to do"....it got even worse when the oldest 2 started having kids....I try to make 'Hey You' sound like a loving term of endearment now.

GO October Wooohoooo!!!

• pixiesluvplants
    15 years ago

LMAO and rollin here, Alan my 20 yr old tells me FINALLY after I expend myself on both his brothers names (neither are at home) and both of my kiddos (doggies) names that "SHEESH MOM AND YOU SAY I AM YOUR FAVORITE BUT YA CAN'T REMEMBER MY NAME???" I just tell him "hades it would just be easier to call him #2 and go by numbers lol" (ok so he tells me in return that I would get mixed up and end up calling him "hey you, you know who you are" anyways lol. lol (Hey You I don't think is a term of endearment here yet lol)

Isn't it funny when ya grow up and have kids and get so flustrated and rattled that you start calling your child every name you have ever heard in your life???

OK I have a question!!!!...... Do ya'll plant these squashes in the fall??? If so do ya'll get produce from them???

I do like October though, and one day I will be able to grow a punkin (even if its just one)

• booberry85
    15 years ago

Donna, BeckyBoo was my Mother's nickname for me! She still calls me that every now & then.

Trina, I can't plant squashes now, but I'm in zone 5. Summer squash generally take 45-60 days. Winter squashes generally take 90 to 120 days (that goes for pumpkins too.)

• bonechickchris
    15 years ago

I agree with the name thing! Ok, picture this one, My husband is Don, my son is Don the 3rd, my dad is a John, my brother is a John too, and then there is my Mom
    So imagine what it is like when we are all together Don, Mom, John , Don, John! You say one name and all 5 answer because they are sound alike!
    But because of this, I am always calling everyone else the wrong name, I will call Don, John,.. My mom, Don, etc.
    Then I am always yelling at my son, and he gets called "Maggie" alot, the doggie's name! Arg!
    BTW, Winter squash is usually called so because they mature late in season, like fall. Summer squashes produce early in the summer months. So they are named according to its harvest time, not planting time. :) Help any?
    Christy

• booberry85
    15 years ago

Christy, ROFLMBO!!! I guess being called by the cats' names wasn't so bad!

• gardenkitteh
    15 years ago

*snicker* I'm not a mother, but when DH's little brother visits, I wind up calling him the cat's name all the time. Particularly when Little Brother is getting into things and being fidgety and annoying. Both DH and I do, 'cause that's when he reminds us most of our cat.

I've never called him the girl cat's name, though.
    *hugs Christy and Pixie*

• sunnyk
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am so totally glad that the name thing goes for all of us LOL...makes me feel less like I am losing my mind ROTF...ok picture this(stealing that from Christy) ....My sister is married to Greg....my ex-husband is also Greg...and my son is of course a junior so called Gregory...gets confusing when we all get together LOL!!

And see Becky...it WAS a Mom thing :)

• bonechickchris
    15 years ago

Ok, sorry if I go off topic here, but I am mostly a veggie seeder. However, My mother in law loves violets. She has a nice collection of them. I thought maybe it would be a nice sentimental gift if I actually grew her some violets from seed (would be great to do in time for Christmas, but I am sure that is too close). Has anyone grew violets from seed or have any seed? just curious. I really do not plant much flower seed. Thanks for letting me go astray! Christy

• sunnyk
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I think you probably have enough time to grow them if you start them now. I am sorry I don't have any violet seeds as I too plant mainly veggies. I keep trying to do flowers but I cant even manage to get Marigolds to grow from seed LOL!! I am going to try again next year with Zinnias and Aquilegia...maybe :O

• frenchfrylegs1
    15 years ago

Sign me up I am looking forward to this one love fall crops...
    Polly

• booberry85
    15 years ago

So what's your favorite fall recipe? Please post! I bought my first apples from the orchard a couple weeks ago. I love apple dumplings. Here's my recipe.

Apple Dumplings: This serves 2.

Ingredients
    Pie dough (see following recipe)
    2 apples peeled and cored
    2 tablespoons brown sugar or honey
    1 tablespoon chopped walnuts or raisins

Divide the pie dough into two pieces. Roll out into two rounds, large enough to cover the apples completely. Place each apple in the center of the pie dough rounds. Fill the cored centers with the brown sugar and walnuts. Sprinkle a little more brown sugar on top of the apple (or drizzle with honey). Wrap the apples in the pie dough so that none of the apple shows. Place on a greased baking dish. Bake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees F or until dough starts to turn golden brown. Serve with ice cream if desired.

Pie Crust (Bon Appit)

This recipe comes from the June 2000 issue of Bon Appétit by Jeanne Thiel Kelley. This makes 2 pie crust disks.

Ingredients

2 ½ cups all purpose flour
    1 ½ tablespoons sugar
    1 ¼ teaspoons salt
    â cup solid vegetable shortening frozen, then cut into ½ inch pieces
    ½ cup (I stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into ½ inch pieces
    6 tablespoons (or more) ice water
    2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar

Blend flour, sugar and salt in a processor. Add shortening and butter and cut in using on/off turns until the mixture resembles a coarse meal. Transfer to a mixing bowl. Mix 6 tablespoons ice water and vinegar in a small bowl; pour over flour mixture. Stir with a fork until moist clumps form, adding more ice water by teaspoonfuls if dough is dry. Gather dough into 2 balls; flatten each into a disk. Wrap each in plastic and chill for 30 minutes. This can be kept in the refrigerator for 2 days or freeze for up to a month.
    Pie Crust (Mrs. Fields)

This is out of Mrs. Fields Cookie Book by Debbi Fields. ItÂs the crust recipe to her apple pie. Makes 2 dough disks.

Ingredients

3 cups all purpose flour
    2 teaspoons grated lemon peel (1 medium lemon)
    1 cup salted butter, chilled
    6-8 tablespoons ice water

Mix flour and lemon peel together with a wire whisk in a medium bowl. With a pastry cutter or two knives, cut in butter with the flour until the dough resembles a coarse meal. Add ice water and blend until dough can be gathered into a ball. Divide dough in half, flatten into disks, and wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm.

This advice comes from www.gardenweb.com.
    Avoiding Toughness
    a) All ingredients must be chilled, yes, even the bowl, if one's really passionate and persnickety, or, like you, seeking the perfect pie crust.
    b) Start with diced, chilled butter and/or shortening, (I use a combination of the two. The butter adds flavor, the shortening promotes flakiness). The diced fats will take a lot less time to combine with the rest of the ingredients, which is the first step in avoiding overworked dough.
    Also, when the fats in your pie dough melt in the oven, as opposed to in your hands, the dough forms many layers, which translates to: flakiness. You won't get that if you start out with room temperature ingredients.

c) To avoid over handling the dough, use either a heavy duty mixer or food processor. I prefer the former, as it quickly mixes the dough, without overworking it; a food processor will also accomplish the same task beautifully, but, it's so fast, that, unless you're quick on the draw, you'll end up with an over processed, tough pastry dough.
    Not to mention that, by over mixing, you run the risk of overdeveloping the gluten, which will result in a tough, rather than flaky and delicate crust, which will also shrink when baked.

Thickness
    Between â and ¼ inches thick is the norm.

• sunnyk
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Got you Polly !!

and Becky....man, what a recipe, I need Apple Dumplings!!! Now I must go see if my Apple Stand Place is open yet LOL...must have sweet and warm baked apple-y goodness.....

• pixiesluvplants
    15 years ago

Hi ya'll, just a quick note to let ya'll know I am going to haqve to drop out of this coming swap, I don't have internet service yet, am using a lap top (sons) so service is ve3ry intermittent but hey at least I can get online and touch base for a minute eh? We got lucky with IKE and sustained no substantial damage but cleanup and such will be a headachie. I don't know how long I will be without internet service or cable but am going to pass on OCT.'s swap. I already have goodies ready to go in the box when it gets here. I have Luvs addy so am set to go. IF by some reason I can't post I have a dear friend "Tracyvine" that has been my lifeline for the past few days. If you need to get in touch with me and cant just email her and she will help.

Thanks ya'll and sorry to have to step out of October but there's always november!!!

Smiles and stay safe,
    Pixie

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

Not a problem Pix, I hope all is well and you get everything up and running soon. Try not to wear yourselves out. Take care and hope to hear from you soon. :) (((HUGS)))

• sunnyk
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Take care of yourself first ...and we will see you in the November or December Swap :)

• booberry85
    15 years ago

Trina, we'll still be here when you're ready to join the next swap. In the mean time take care & best regards for you and your family.

• gardenkitteh
    15 years ago

*hugs Trina*

• sunnyk
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Still Time to sign up :) There are 9 more days til I post swap Buddies!!

• ejmoore510
    15 years ago

Whoo hoo!!! Can't wait!

Joan

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

Wonder who's gonna be the lucky winner... This is a wonderful pot full of goodies, Heather has sent some wonderful seeds to add to the pot. :) Those that haven't signed up yet, come on whatcha waiting for??? Join in the fun! :D

• ejmoore510
    15 years ago

I just keep adding, & adding to my "stash"! & Ebay LOVES me now! Heck, they've probably got me on a top 100 customer list or something!
    I always LOVE everything I get in our swaps but this one ought to really be lucky for me! We'll get our names on my daughter's birthday! So exciting!

Joan

• bonechickchris
    15 years ago

Can we pretty please get assigned earlier? The 26th seems so far away!
    I cannot wait! I want to put an order in so badly!
    Hurry up September! Christy

• booberry85
    15 years ago

Doesn't anyone else have any favorite autumn recipes? I wouldn't mind pushing up the date to get our swap buddies either.

• ejmoore510
    15 years ago

I'm good with pushing it up too if ya'll want to! (shoving items into the spare bedroom closet & slamming the door before they can fall out!) leaning back on the door to hold it closed... Whew, in fact that sounds like a great idea!

• sunnyk
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok,I have no problems with posting buddies early...I will post buddies Sunday night, and people can start doing there thing as soon as they get in contact :)

• bonechickchris
    15 years ago

Yeah! Thank You Thank You! I am so excited about this one and am looking at seed catalogs every night just waiting to put an order in! I love Autumn! Christy