Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sassyd_gw

UPDATE: Pedal Pushers Continues

sassyd
15 years ago

I thought I would post a new thread. I don't want anyone to feel uncomfortable about my post on the other thread and no needs to respond to it on here, I just hope and pray you will all act on it.

Comments (4)

• galium
    15 years ago

Sassy-Task accomplished!!!

OK as I promised My Grandmother's recipe for Fish Chowder. I will warn you though this recipe makes a very large batch. The first time I made it I had every pot I owned filled with chowder.LOL Little wonder because my grandparent's had 7 children.

MY GRANDMOTHER'S FISH CHOWDER
    2 lbs of cod frozen
    1 1/2 quarts of sliced raw potatoes
    1 pint of sliced raw onions
    1 pint of frozen peas
    1 tbsp salt
    1/2 tbsp ground black pepper
    2 tbsp lemon juice or 1 cup white wine
    1 qt of half and half cream
    1/2 stick of butter or margarine
    1 tbsp mixed pickling spice tied in cheesecloth or
    (sterile gauze square)
    Put frozen fillet in pot with 2 qt. of cold water. Add 2 tbsp lemon juice or 1 cup of white wine and pickling spices. Bring to a boil and boil for 3 minutes then set aside until fillets are thawed. Then drain off water into another pot with the spice bag. Add potatoes, onions and seasonings. Bring to a boil and cook until potatoes are nearly done. Discard spice bag and add frozen peas. Cook ten minutes. Break fish into bite size portions and add to pea and potato mixture. Cook 3 minutes. Add cream and butter and simmer (do not boil).
    *If you wish to be more fancy add a lb. of cooked shrimp with the fish.
    *This chowder is better if allowed to sit for several hours or longer and reheated.
    *Serve with garlic bread and a salad.

Another of my grandmother's recipes:
    DIFFERENT POTATO SALAD
    1 qt of cooked potatoes sliced
    1 good sized onion (chopped fine)
    1 cup sour cream
    1 tsp caraway seed
    *a hand-full of fresh herbs (parsley, tarragon, basil, thyme etc) if not available or 1/2 tsp each of favorite dry herbs
    MARINADE
    1/4 c olive oil
    2 tbsp vinegar (wine or cider)
    1 tbsp sugar
    1/2 tsp pepper
    1 tsp salt
    1 clove crushed garlic (use more if you like)
    Cook four good sized potatoes with 1 tsp caraway seed sprinkled in the water. Do not over cook. Cool slightly peel and slice. While still gently warm mix potatoes with marinade and onion. Chop herbs or measure dry herbs and mix with sour cream. When potatoes have marinated for at least half an hour, combine with sour cream and herbs.
    *I love this recipe

• sassyd
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you Mariann! (Hugs)

and thanks for the receipes, we all love Grandma's receipes! Their the best ones:)

Tracy, I'm working on it don't give up on me.....

I still have more I need to post too. How are we doing on deserts? Again, I'd really like to keep it at receipes you or family members have tried and like to make/bake, etc.

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Gosh Mariann that sounds just yummy but I am afrais to try anything fishy soupy/chowder stuff the only fishy "soup" I eat is Salmon Stew which I will be having tonight cuz it is chilly outside, hehe.
    But I might get brave enough to reduce that one down and try it it REALLY sounds like it would be good.
    Ok, the milk is here, gotta go cook my Salmon Stew.

:) Fran

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

Mariann, both of those sound wonderful! I bet that potato salad is so good with the sour cream and herbs.

Sassy, I know dear, take your time. LOL!

I'm not sure what the count is on desserts yet but I do know that we have several. We are missing some lighter dishes like salads and soups, appetizers, and breads.