Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debbya_gw

new: garden decorating rr/oct. bulb/tuber swap!

Debra Andruska
16 years ago

I'm hosting the October swap. I haven't heard from Jackie all summer.

October~ FALL Bulb, tuber swap! Fall items can also be included in the exchange (additional items to help fill the box). Few ideas.. festive colorful leaf kitchen towels, candle (fall colors), Fall placemats, etc. Really anything colorful, just remember this is a bulb, tuber swap so please make those your 'main' items!

Deb

Comments (81)

• diene
    16 years ago

Hello Frances;
    I still need your address not that I am packing your box today but I will forget to get it when I need it if I do not do it now. Thanks. diene

• Frances Coffill
    16 years ago

I sent my mailing address to you by e-mail. ;)

• laurelin
    16 years ago

Great, now I can start your box, Deb! I held off getting some things until I knew my partner. Now I can go wild (or as wild as I ever go, lol). I'll be mailing your box out sometime late next week.

{{gwi:633189}}
    Tulip 'Sweetheart'

Laurel

• diene
    16 years ago

Hello Frances;
    I did not get your e-mail. Did you get mine? If you did get mine, please just reply to that and it will not go through GW so I should get it. Thanks. diene

• Frances Coffill
    16 years ago

diene,
    I did get your address, you are the second person today who is not getting my e-mail. will try it again.

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Nancy,

You've got mail.

Thanks!
    Tracy

• cedarnest
    16 years ago

Thanks Tracy..I just saw it and sent you a reply : )Looking forward to swapping with you : ))
    Nancy

• veeja11
    16 years ago

I need a want list and addy for letha please. thankyou carol

• letha1971
    16 years ago

Hi Carol,I sent you an email. Letha{{gwi:1300472}}

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Hey Nancy! Your box is all packed and ready to ship! I will be bringing it to the Post Office on Tuesday since Monday is Columbus Day. Those poor guys need another day off from carrying all those big packages! lol!

• letha1971
    16 years ago

Hi Carol,Your box is on its way!Con#0306107000375092294.Let me know when you get it :0) Letha

• veeja11
    16 years ago

darn Letha you make me feel bad, yours won't be till next week, sorry, other designer at my job is in hospital so I am having to work extra hrs, I am swamped as is so now I'm buried. hugs carol

• diene
    16 years ago

Hello Frances;
    Can you do tulips or are you in a part of the world where they do not work? How about daffodils? I have plenty of stuff to send you but I found some neat tulips the other day and I bought them. Then I came home and my partner from another swap sent me some really special bulbs so I do not have a home for the ones I bought, do you?
    If they do not work for you, please let me know, I can find another home for what I bought and I have lots of stuff that needs spliting here.
    We are having rain tonight so I hope to get a box to you on Tuesday. Have a great weekend. I will be roofing tomorrow so no gardening.
    Take care. diene

• Frances Coffill
    16 years ago

Hi Diene
    I wish I could have tulips, I love them, but I am told it just doesn't get cold enough for them in the winter. Some daffodil do well here, others must be lifted (like tulip) I wish I could be more helpful, but I have just survived my first year of southern gardening (without too many fatalities)
    Rain! now that is something I could really use, do you think you could me spare a little of that? I hope to have your package in the mail early in the week.
    Be careful on the roof.
    Frances

• letha1971
    16 years ago

No worries Carol.I understand about being short handed at work.We had someone out for three weeks before they decided we needed some help.One person can really make a difference in the work load.Hope things lighten up for you.Have a great week. Letha

• atravers
    16 years ago

Hi April (dirt_under_my_nails).
    I got your package all packed up but forgot to include a note. Will send you an email instead. I'll drop your package off in the mail tomorrow morning so hopefully you'll get it Thursday or Friday.
    Ann

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Hi Nancy!

I have everything ready and on the road to you! The DC# is 0103 8555 7493 0664 2352. I hope you like everything!

Tracy

• cedarnest
    16 years ago

Thanks Tracy, I am sure I will love what you sent.Its a beautiful day so I thought of one more thing I want to dig for your box.It will be on the way thisafternoon yet or tomorrow morning at the latest.I will be back to post the confirmation then : )
    Nancy

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

This has been the craziest weather for fall! Yesterday it was 88 degrees, today it is about 78. This was the cold snap that the forecasters were calling for! ha ha! I think Northern Ohio is trading climates for someplace more southernly. This is the longest span of warm weather I can remember. Amazing. I am still able to dig in the dirt without freezing my fingers. Truly remarkable. Well, I am off to do more fall clean up for whenever it finally arrives! lol! Nancy, take your time! The weather is holding just fine for planting. It may be January before my first heavy frost!
    Tracy

• laurelin
    16 years ago

Hi Deb, I got your box in the mail this afternoon. The DC# is 0306 2400 0000 8241 0460.

I hope you enjoy it!

Laurel

• atravers
    16 years ago

April,
    Here's your delivery confirmation number:

Hope you enjoy your package.
    Ann

• veeja11
    16 years ago

I received a wonderful box from Letha today, bulbs wrapped in burlap a candle, cute red basket bulb planter, scarcrow. daylilies iris,2 kinds, rancalus, dutch iris. Thankyou I love it all. hope I didn't miss anything. hope to get yours out soon, other designer is in the hospital so I got 7 days this week, no shopping or mailing time. may be late first of next week I am sorry life happens. sorry but it will be there. hugs carol

• cedarnest
    16 years ago

Tracy..its on the way..0103 8555 7492 1175 3419.Expecting much cooler weather here now.What a difference a day makes in the Midwest..lol..Feels like Fall today..I am Loving It : )
    Nancy

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Nancy,

I was laughing to myself when I woke up this morning to 50 degree weather! I spoke too soon earlier when I said I won't be digging in the dirt and freezing my fingers! Ah, Irony! I love the cooler weather. Now we will be getting rain, rain and more rain at least for the next few days. I can stop watering finally. It should clear for the weekend. I will keep my eye out for the package, something to look forward too! Thanks!

• dirt_under_my_nails
    16 years ago

Hi All! Ann thanks will be on the lookout for it! Yours is on its way too. Confirmation # 0306 0320 0004 5120 2321. We still have the air on here. I'm out to put up electric fence for dogs.They have decided to start chasing cars!!!! We have four acres & they want to chase the cars down the road. GRRRR!
    Later.....April/dirt_under_my_nails

• diene
    16 years ago

Hello Frances;
    I took all of the tulip bulbs and daffodils I had bought to send you and planted them yesterday. To make room for all of them I had to dig up some plants so I tried to dig up some that would work for you.
    That is my convoluted way of telling you that your box was mailed today. The DC is 01038555749296868183. It probably will just show that I said I was shipping it until it shows up. The Biddeford PO refuses to scan one rate boxes that have postage done on the internet. They claim they are not allowed to and no amount of begging or pleading will sway them.
    I hope you enjoy everything and that is arrives soon and whole. I always cringe when I put a box in the Post office. Have a wonderful day. diene

• Frances Coffill
    16 years ago

Thank you diene

I am just putting the finishing touches on your box and (double checking all the Zones to be sure I don't send anything that will not live in Maine. Will take it to the post office on Friday (you should recieve it on Monday) I got the notice from the USPS. By the way you should be very happy that they will not scan those boxes at the Post Office, I took some to the UPS store where the clerk insisted on scanning them and had the USPS send me a bill for additional Postage. (Big mess to straighten out)
    Frances

• dirt_under_my_nails
    16 years ago

THANK YOU ANN!!! My box arrived today inside there was:
    'Ruby Giant'Crocus
    'Salome' Narcissus
    HUGE HUGE I mean RELLY BIG bag of Assorted Purple tulips
    Japanese Toad Lily
    Purple TB iris
    Yellow TB iris
    Mauve Daylily
    Maroon Daylily
    Looks like I'll be needing HOT bath for sore back after all this is planted.LOL! Thanks again!
    April/dirt_under_my_nails

• cedarnest
    16 years ago

Tracy,Thank you very much for the wonderful box!You really had ALOT packed in there! LOL....The superstition iris and moonlight masquerade daylily will be a nice addition to my beds as will the wonderful assortment of tulip bulbs( i never had any of the varieties you sent) and climbing nasturnum seeds. I can't wait to get everything planted.mmm.. apple butter : )... the halloween towels,half moon cookie cutter and wall decorations are so cute! and oh yes..the nutragena hand cream is 'perfect' for me..LOL..its the smelly ones I don't like...Thanks again for the great box.I truly loved it all : )
    Nancy

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Nancy,
    I am so glad you like everything and didn't have any of the bulbs! That is great. You and I have the same issues with the fragrances. That hand cream has saved my skin in the past with how dry my hands get in the winter months. I hope it all travelled well!

Congratulations on that fabulous box, April! They all sound wonderful!

Diene, I found a sure fire way to make those buggers at the post office scan the one rate and other boxes when you get there. Print the label with the weight online but don't pay for it. Pay at the post office and they scan it there. HA! The lady who took care of me at the counter the other day was less than polite. I had marked all of my boxes as fragile and this end up with an arrow, think she kept them this way up? Not a chance. Didn't even make an effort to humor me while I was still there. Grrr.

Tracy

• Frances Coffill
    16 years ago

Diene
    DC 0103 8555 7491 8354 2158

I have been waiting 2 weeks for a pack of FlatRate boxes from the USPS, so far no sign of them (our local Post Office doesn't carry them most of the time) So it's coming in a regular Priority Box.

Frances

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Laurel's package arrived yesterday! I'll post the contents later. My car's having problems! Luckily, it's still under a bumper to bumper warranty so it won't cost anything. I noticed a 'ticking' sound turns out it's the engine (something's rubbing metal to metal). Plus, the window is off track (and started grinding when it rolls up).
    And my Son had toenail surgery! When it rains, it pours! ;)

Laurel, I love everything you sent!

Be back later!

Deb

• Frances Coffill
    16 years ago

Thank you Diene!
    I recieved your box today and am overwhelmed by your generosity! I am running around like a chicken I don't know where to start! All wonderful bulbs and plants perfect for my baked landscape! Great big bags of goodies!

Dahlias
    Cannas
    Callas
    Daylilies
    Hosta
    Lily bulbs
    Lambs Ears

I hope I did not forget anything!
    Oh and the SPIDER! Adorable... will try to take a picture to share. I wonder if I can coax my feathered friends to eat from the cup! (My yard is filled with birds all of the time)

The letter is very lovely too, thank you again. I am pleased to meet you and have this opportunity to know you better. (I wish I had thought of that)

I think you have single handedly cured my naked yard of the blahs!

Frances
    PS
    Here are a few photos from my garden this year (if anyone is interested). Mostly annuals, but the perennial seeds I planted last winter should bloom next year.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Photos

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Nancy,

My Box arrived today! Thank you very much! I received Karl Rosenfeld Peonies, Naked Ladies, Oxalisis, 3 different Cannas: Unknow Red, Lenupe, and Wyoming Orange! I have never grown Cannas before and am very excited. Thank you for packaging all of them so well. Thanks for the tips on storing them! I love the little scarecrow garden stake! I will put him out in my rockgarden, maybe he will make friends with the little chipmunks who made it their home this year!

Francis,
    I took a peak at your garden pictures! They were beautiful shots. You must be quite the photographer. I enjoyed all of the blooms, butterflies and birds! Lovely.

Tracy

• atravers
    16 years ago

April,

Your package arrived today and what a wonderful Friday afternoon (after a long work week) present!!!!! It was like Christmas going through everything.

A lovely scented mulled cider candle
    Fall theme kitchen towel and oven mitt
    Alpine spiced cider mix
    Tulips
    Some lovely lily bulbs - yellow hurricane, pink fairy and white fairy
    Daffodils
    Dutch iris
    Alliums (new variety for me!)
    A great bulb planter
    And two lovely cannas from your garden

I will be busy planting tomorrow no doubt. Thank you so much for your wonderful package. You are a great swap partner!
    Ann

• Frances Coffill
    16 years ago

Thank you Tracy

I always wonder which came first....

do I garden so that I can take photographs or do I take photographs because I garden

;)

• diene
    16 years ago

Good Evening Everyone;
    I know you are supposed to let everyone know when you get a box but the sun was shining and we had a frost this morning so I decided to plant rather than thank. I know I am horrible but Frances seems so nice I think she will even forgive me.
    I received a nice note telling me a bit more about her as well as some beautiful notecards.
    Then not only did she mark the plants she sent a sheet telling me all about each one. I received two beautiful daylilies and each had two fans. They are both red in color but have very distinct markings and size so they will compliment each other but not be confused with each other. Then the bulbs, there were Mediterranean Bells which sound exotic, I have to look them up on Hortiplex. They are a type of Allium. Then I also received a big bag of firecracker allium. Then there were some Dutch Irises and finally some yellow daffodils.
    She also sent some wonderful plant markers. I have several of these from other swaps, they are all metal and have a copper plate for the name. I have not used any of them yet but I am planning on etching the name in the metal, is that how it is done? Where are you guys getting these?
    So between the ones I picked up yesterday (I know, I should not have) and the ones Frances sent, I put 100 more bulbs in the ground today. My gardens are really reaching saturation but I am soo anxious for next spring. I will make sure I post pictures then.
    Thanks Frances. It was wonderful.
    diene

• diene
    16 years ago

I just reread my message and realized I should have given you the names of the daylilies. They are Siloam Red Ruby and Assyrian Chariot. I am now going to go look everything up.
    Thanks again, Frances.
    diene

• Frances Coffill
    16 years ago

Diene

I am glad to have sent you something 'new' to try. I love Alliums and was searching for the big blue ones (cannot remember what they are called) and found the Medeteranean bells instead. They do have a very unusual flower and are supposed to be very attractive to butterflies and hummers. I have also been told that they have a very definate garlic scent.

I don't have many plants that are 'marker' material yet, so I just write on them with a grease pencil (easy to change them later). But certainly special plants would be worthy of permanant etching. The red daylilies were a treat to myself this fall (combination of fav flower and fav colour) I hope you will enjoy them.

I also wanted to tell you that the handcreme is great! I tend to buy the huge bottles of lotion, which are great indoors but not very portable. This tube is great for the pocket, not to mention the lotion is very soothing on my poor dry hands.

Frances

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Diene,
    That is a wonderful assortment of plants! I will be looking up those daylilies too, they sound striking. I have been looking at those plant markers for myself. I have seen them on ebay and a few of the online suppliers through GW have them as well. They look to be the perfect marker for the garden. They promise to never fade and will get that lovely patina that copper seems to take on with a bit of weather. Ebay seems to have the best rates so far in my search. You planted 100 bulbs today? Congratulations! What a job! I am awaiting your spring pictures anxiously!!!

Frances, What a lovely, thoughtful box you sent! I think you are wrong though. I saw the picturese you took of your flowers in your garden and think they are very worthy of permanent signage. Your garden is lovely.

Have a lovely day!
    Tracy

• diene
    16 years ago

Hello Frances;
    I am glad you like the hand cream, that is what I do. All the products are botanically based which I love. It fits with my gardening and also makes sense. We all know how strong plants are, they bend with the weather but rarely break. They endure year after year. I love all of our products. I only wish they were more affordable. They really are a bargain cause they last so long but they are not cheap.
    I discovered these products about five years ago when I was spending a fortune on my skin with not good results. Now I forget how bad my skin was and I marvel when people I am talking to compliment me on my skin.
    Well, I could go on and on about this, it is my other passion.
    Yes Tracy, I did plant 100 bulbs yesterday and I cannot wait for spring to see them but then I think, stop wishing your life away. Today is a gorgeous fall day and I have an appointment at 11:30 so I need to get moving. I am meeting a client for lunch and then we are going to walk around Kennebunkport. I have not been down to the Port in over a month and now that the tourists have gone, it will be a blast. Have a wonderful day everyone. diene

• Frances Coffill
    16 years ago

Hello Diene
    When I worked full time at my 'career' I spent a lot more on skin care than that at a certain department store cosmetic counter. But these days my budget just wont stretch that far. (starving artist syndrome, ha ha)

Anyway... it is still too warm here to plant bulbs, but I have planted over 100 daylilies and an equal number of TB Iris, mostly of the mixed NOID varieties, should be pretty exiting around here next summer. I have also planted Hostas and calla lilies and LambsEars. We were planning to plant a lawn this fall but without water it is just not practical, the clover and speedwell and plantain and wiregrass are getting a reprieve.

Tracy
    Thanks again, my flowers have been lovely, but most of them (the annuals) bought the farm in July and August. With the water restrictions and 100+ degree temperatures I could not keep them alive. The perennials were started from seed last winter and held up much better but didn't bloom much. Next year will be better. I am planning to atart around 20 flats of drought tolerant and native perennial plants for next year...

A garden is a work in progress, and my work is just begun.

Frances

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Frances,

I am waiting anxiously for next years pictures! I think your garden will be breathtaking with all that you have planted. Thank goodness you are an excellent photographer! I am saddened that your annuals didn't make it. Surprisingly for me, ours outperformed any that I have planted in the past. It was a very strange summer with the changes in weather conditions for our area. For the first half we were in a drought threat and the second half were full of flash floods! Truly bizarre. My impatiens are knee high this year (I am 5' 10" so that is pretty big for my impatiens! lol!). I have an annual geranium that is nearly 3 foot tall. I started pulling all of them out for the compost heap and have a hard time pitching that one! Feel like bronzing it for posterity.

My gardens are continuously being done, redone, moved, added to, etc. Always seems to be that something could be doing better elsewhere in the yard. I told the hubby last night about the new bed that I am putting in and he just looked confused. Doesn't seem to understand there is always more to plant!

Have a wonderful day!
    Tracy

• Debra Andruska
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It's been an awful month for me! My Son had toe nail surgery on both toes (4 pieces of nail removed from 2 big toes), Greenbean died (my Monk parrot). And I didn't even have a chance to post Laurel's box contents!

Laurel sent such a nice box! In it was..

Festive fall card, coaster (daffodil theme), 5 "Purple Prince" tulips, Gorgeous Rose print TEDDY BEAR! Notebook/journal (daffodil theme), 6 "Attila" tulips, 6 "Upstar" tulips, 6 "Otioules" tulips, plus hazlenut coffee (smells so good)!

Thank you sooo much Laurel! Your package went out today. USPS #0307 0020 0004 7458 0576.

I closed the box before adding the "Amaryllis seeds" and stuck them in a box corner (look for the clear tape on one end of the box, they are safely tucked in there). I didn't want to reopen the entire box. They should be ok.
    Someone from GW sent me these fresh seeds "Apple blossom" X ? I can't remember off hand. I planted a package, and had a package left over. They germinate with in 2 weeks, and grow quickly.

I'll be back later!

Deb

• letha1971
    16 years ago

Wow Deb, both toes at once?I had mine done but one at a time.Thats what we do where I work.I work in a dermatology clinic.The doc I work for did mine,so I give him a hard time about "making" me work all day with a bandaged toe.So sorry to hear about your bird.I looked up monk parrot on google.He was very pretty.My hubby knew what they were.He took care of several of these for a man he worked for a few years ago.Hope you have a better end to Oct. Carol-I'm so excited.I can't wait till it gets here.I'll post as soon as I get it. Frances-Your flowers are so pretty!Great job!

• laurelin
    16 years ago

Good evening, Deb,

I'm so sorry to hear about Greenbean! That's a really sad loss. And your poor son - ouch! I hope THIS week is much better than the past couple have been for you. I figured you were busy/overwhelmed or had some crisis come up when you didn't post. I'm so glad you liked the box; I was hoping I'd chosen things you would enjoy.

I'll look out for my box. We were away all weekend, and enjoyed a beautiful fall foliage trip from Upstate NY to Wheeling, West Virginia, to visit relatives. Wonderful trip, from both the family and foliage POV.

O boy, I'm going to get mail, I can't wait for my box!

Laurel

• veeja11
    16 years ago

Letha. did you get your box ? thankyou hugs carol

• laurelin
    16 years ago

Hi Deb!

Our neighbor collected our mail while we were gone, and when he brought it to us last night, THE BOX was there too. What a great way to end a great weekend. THANK YOU, THANK YOU SO MUCH for the fantastic box:

Pumpkin Pie scented oil diffuser
    Silicone spatula and baster (HOW did you know I needed those??)
    Amaryllis seeds (I'll plant those today)
    Morning Glory seeds (winter sowing!)
    Autumn leaf garland (which will go on my front door today)
    Tulips:
    Rococo (frilled red w/green)
    Flaming Parrot (yellow w/red)
    Queen of the Night (purple)
    Daffodils:
    Tahiti (ruffled orange and yellow, fancy)
    Carlton (yellow)

Wow, what a wonderful assortment of goodies! I don't have any of those bulbs, and I'm happy to have new ones to add to my garden. I'll set out the diffuser today, too. It will help me get in the baking mood for the holidays.

THANKS DEB!!

Laurel

• letha1971
    16 years ago

Hi Everybody! I got a very nice box from Carol.I haven't had any time to list anything or even check my email for a couple of days.Life happens to the best of us.In my box I recieved a very lovely note, scarecrow pick(going to put in my pot of mums),rasberry lemonade mix(yum),sugar plum scented body lotion-hand & body wash-& body scrub(smells great),a purple body scrubbie to go along with it,a very cute pansey shaped candle,lg. bag of assorted daffodils,two bags of assorted crocus,and also a bag of pumpkin poop!(candy corn-with a cute little poem)Thanks so much Carol.I hope I haven't forgotten anything.Now going to go enjoy my pumpkin poop & my lemonade!!

• letha1971
    16 years ago

Oh,I did forget to add that I got seeds.Mixed coleus & hibicus-confederate rose.Thanks again Carol!