Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poisondartfrog

new: petal pushers halloween swap, buried alive!!!

poisondartfrog
14 years ago

Yipee skipee! My favorite!!

THE RULES

1. Sign ups until September 21. Please email me your address when you sign up. You will need to check back no later than September 23 to choose your mystery sender. That's not as straightforward as it sounds; details to follow once you are ensnared- I mean committed to the swap.

2. Let's keep things reasonable-no need to spend a frightening amount of money. You will be sending 4 items to your partner. You will need 3 things they can BURY ALIVE. Tulips, daffodils, many different Lily species, Crocus etc, are the obvious candidates, but Peonies, Irises, Daylilies and some other plants are also great choices. When you get the person's name receiving your plants be mindful of their zone when digging or purchasing appropriate plants. Some bulbs may be fine in zone 8 and beyond, others will not do well there without special treatment. Also, it may be a little late in zone 4 to plant daylilies (I'm guessing), but daffodils, tulips, crocus, would be fine.

You'll also be sending an additional treat...or trick. That's up to you and your inner demon. It could be an additional bulb or plant with a Halloween themed name, BLOOD Meal or BONE Meal, Halloween decoration-whatever you like that is Halloween themed. A trick could be a severed hand, a pet spider, a scary decoration: use your imagination.

3. Boxes must be mailed Priority with a Delivery Confirmation # and should be on their way by October 15 to ensure that the person receiving your box has it well before Halloween.

4. You must post the Delivery Confirmation # when you send your box and follow up when you receive your box to let us know what you found buried there; we like to share each other's fun.

5. If you are new to Petal Pushers you must send your box first.

6. All GW rules apply.

There will be a game or two along the way to keep things interesting, along with some scary prizes if you are not afraid to win them!

Happy Halloween,

Alana

Comments (150)

• hdiperna
    14 years ago

cAROL I am glad you got the character you wanted!! To be honest I had to "google" him. I couldn't decide who to pick so I read the list to my sister. She picked for me.
    Did any one else have a reason for picking a certain character or is it random?
    Heidi

• tracyvine
    14 years ago

(Scootin' over for mISS cAROL)there you go dear, here's your cup! I remember my Mom telling me about watching Dark Shadows when she was a young newlywed. I wasn't quite born when the series ended. LOL :O)

I used to watch The Adams Family and The Munsters reruns when I was home sick from school as a little kid. They were usually on after Beverly Hillbillies. Mom used to prop up the black and white portable tv in my room so I would stay quarantined and entertained. Thing was one of my favorite characters.

• karenh71867
    14 years ago

Save some coffee for me!!

• gardencraze
    14 years ago

Knock Knock!!!! It's jusy me looking for a nice cup of that brew you ghouls have going on there... lets see I want mine with uummmm frog legs and lizard tail hummm what eles OH!! umm some dragon drool uumm with just a touch of splenda.
    Aha! perfecto. hehehe

Hugs everybody and happy Wenesday
    Carmen

• tracyvine
    14 years ago

Whew! You are a thirsty bunch today! I've made a fresh batch. Passing a few more cups out to Carmen and Karen.

Carmen, the splenda is in the little cup on the table, stir in witch-ever fixings you like, they're all there next to the "S"-cream.

• karenh71867
    14 years ago

I was going to pick Morticia, and then count duckula, but decided since I never heard of count duckula, I would go with something else. I like Lurch. I think he was pretty comical. In a quiet sort of way.
    My sister liked watching Dark Shadows (must have been reruns) but I had forgotten who Barnabus was. I also didn't know who count von count was....ahhhh....I just googled it, cause I didn't want it to be someone I DID know, and yes, I know this character! lol. I just thought his name was The Count.

The sun is finally trying to peek out! We've had 2 days of gray and rain/drizzle. Feels like fall, except no leaves on the ground yet.

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That was good brew! I think Tracy put something extra special in there.
    Did you guys hear this story?
    Two men were walking home after a party and decided to take a shortcut through the cemetery just for laughs.
    Right in the middle of the cemetery they were startled by a tap-tap-tapping noise coming from the misty shadows.
    Trembling with fear, they found an old man with a hammer and chisel, chipping away at one of the headstones.
    "Holy cow, Mister," one of them said after catching his breath, "You scared us half to death -- we thought you were a ghost! What are you doing working here so late at night?"
    "Those fools!" the old man grumbled. "They misspelled my name!"

Margo is next. She can choose from:
    Count von Count
    Elvira
    Lily Munster
    Count Duckula
    Barnabas Collins
    Uncle Fester
    Casper
    Herman Munster
    Samantha
    Spot (Eddie Munster's "pet")
    Incredible Hulk

• just1morehosta
    14 years ago

Owoooooooo,Tracyvineeeee dearrrryyyyyyy,
    You do make a smaaassssssshing cup of brew dhaling,i detect just a tad of newwwtttt,just enough to get my Blaaddddd,moving,beware now,no sun is shinning,of Dark Shadows,the day is still young,but night will be upon us soon,are you all skeered?You should be!!!!!!!!!AWWWWWWHAHAAWWWW~~~~~~~~~~~
    Barnabus

• hdiperna
    14 years ago

Sorry I am late to the party I couldn't decide what to bring..any coffee left???

• just1morehosta
    14 years ago

I am getting ready to go have my ears checked,do you think the Doctor will get to close?,should be be "skeered",like all of you should be?AWWWWWWWHAHAAWWWW,I am "Bating" he should beAWWWWWWWWHAHAAWWWWWWWW,(flipping my cape over my shoulder)smiling
    Barnabus

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Revised-I forgot to delete Barnabas earlier.

Count von Count
    Elvira
    Lily Munster
    Count Duckula
    Uncle Fester
    Casper
    Herman Munster
    Samantha
    Incredible Hulk

• tracyvine
    14 years ago

Alana, laughing at your ghosty story. You noticed my extra special ingredients? Were you stumped or could you tell that it was frog's toes and bunny tails right away?

Heidi, you're never too late for brew at my table, there's always a new batch perking. I busted a gut reading "Eye of Newt- Extra Cornea, Crispy Cornea, and Honey Nut" ROFLOL!

Ah Barnabus, you creepy character! Don't let that doctor get too close, he might see what is truly between your ears!

Karen, It is hot, muggy and completely overcast here. At 10 o'clock this morning I needed lamps on in my living room. A perfectly cruddy day for doing laundry and washing the kitchen floor.

• karenh71867
    14 years ago

For some reason I am having trouble trying to post with a graphic, so I'm going to see if I can post with out a graphic. grrrr......

• dan_the_mailman
    14 years ago

{{gwi:1300587}}

Just dropping in to see where we're at in the scheme of things, though that coffee does smell good! Can I get a cup? I like mine with a bit of AB- mixed in, don't you?
    -Dan

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Things are moving along but it looks doubtful if we will finish choosing today.
    That's fine.
    I will be on the road all day tomorrow. I've been slacking and I have to do some work, and then tomorrow evening is the memorial service for Gino (my neighbor).
    I may not check in at all tomorrow, but I will be back on Friday to send everyone their "assignments."

You will all play nice while I am away, right? Hmm???

• proudgm_03
    14 years ago

AB mixed in? Are we talking blood or A$$ of bat? Sorry, I couldn't resist.

• smitties
    14 years ago

Sorry, sorry, sorry. I wasn't able to come home right after work but got on as soon as I arrived. I will pick
    mmmmmmmmm, uhmmmmmmm, Uncle Fester.

Will wait for further instructions. Margo

• dan_the_mailman
    14 years ago

A$$ of bat??? NO WAY... YUCKO!!! I'm talking a dash of AB- blood! Now, that'd be just yummy!!! It's got just the right amount of salt in it!
    (and now you're all wondering, is he for real? aren't you? lol) I'll never tell!!! (consider this MY trick on you all...)

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    14 years ago

Hello everyone,

I see that it's my turn to pick...whoo hooo, we are on our way to another fun filled swap!

I will pick Samantha as my sender, do I have that right?? The name that we choose is the person that will be sending us our box this month. It really doesn't matter, just curious.

I will keep checking in but may not post, I'm trying to limit the neck strain in hopes or healing myself.

Have a great night
    Lisa

• just1morehosta
    14 years ago

To all my dahlings,little witches who brew,i have a little poem just for you.

Double,double,toil and trouble;
    Fire burn and caldrun bubble,
    Fillet of a feenny snake,
    In the caldrun boil and bake;
    Eye if newt and toe of frog,
    Wool of bat and tongue of dog,
    Adder's fork and blind worms sting,
    Lizard's leg and howlet's wings,
    For a charm of powerful trouble,
    Like a hell-broth boil and bubble.

Double,double toil and trouble;
    Fire burn and caldurn bubble.
    Coolit with a baboon's blood,
    Then the charm is firm and good.

Stir up the brew my dearies,night approches,another moon has punched a hole in the night time,
    I fly out my window
    Looking,Looking
    AH, there you are
    I am coming
    Will you be next?
    Barnabus

• tracyvine
    14 years ago

(Loud Applause, clapping furiously!) cAROL, I loved your poem. I am grinning (evilly of course) and chuckling my brains out (but we all knew that's been gone for quite some time now). I may have to send Thing over there to give you a pinch. Or maybe he'll come over and watch some episodes of Dark Shadows with you. LOL!

• gardencraze
    14 years ago

I do believe I am after Lisa,
    HOT DIGITY DOG it's my turn!!!

I will choose the all time favorite, the woderfull the good and always happy and lets not forget aaaaaaaallways doing good the one and only
    CASSSSSSPER

• hdiperna
    14 years ago

Woo Hoo we are half way done. It just started raining here at my house. I am happy because everything was starting to look droopy. My water is from a well so I only water when necessary.

Carmen do you like the old Casper or the movie that came out in 1995?

Have any of you seen the movie 13 ghosts? That movie creeps me out. If you haven't seen it you should!!

Any one else have a favorite scary movie???

• canyonwind
    14 years ago

You Ghouls, Goblins and Ghosts are moving right along! I will check back later!

13 Ghosts....better check it out!!

Annie

• gardencraze
    14 years ago

I don't watch any of those scary movies, I suffer from 'night terrors'. If I watch one of those scary movies I would be able to sleep for days. for some crazy reason my brain just terrises me. (I think it's my brain LOL)
    anyway casper is about as scary as it gets for me. I don't even know why I'm playing this game I hate holloween. No offence to those who love it. I just wanted to hang out with the group.

Big hugs
    Carmen

• hdiperna
    14 years ago

Carmen I can't imagine having night terrors. I love Fall and with that I feel like I have to like Halloween. I prefer the nice cute witches and cuddly monsters. I always fear for my black cats on Halloween though. I guess all the stories I heard growing up of people hurting black cats on Halloween makes me worry.

• tracyvine
    14 years ago

Heidi, do you live around Michigan? I remember hearing some pretty bad stories of what goes on up there around Halloween. Some pretty terrible fires and some cruelty to the poor cats. I haven't heard much in the last few years but remember the news reports from years ago.

Carmen, I suffered with Night Terrors all the way through my teen years. I finally learned some methods to help control them and have to say that they work really well. Email me if you'd like to chat about them.

Dan, sorry it took me so long but I finally fixed a cup up for you just the way you like it. Heavy on the AB. Here ya go!

{{gwi:1300593}}

• hdiperna
    14 years ago

Tracy I live in PA but grew up in Northern Va/DC area.

Dan I hope you like your drink because that looks really GROSS!!!

• tracyvine
    14 years ago

So does that kind of stuff happen up in the DC or Pa area? I hope that people can behave themselves this year and just make it a fun filled holiday for all the little ones. I do love seeing them all excited to be dressed up and running door to door. My kids think it's hillarious to yell "trick or treat, smell my feet, give me something good to eat!" Rude little buggers!

That cup is gross isn't it? I couldn't resist it when I finally found it. I think you can find a pic of almost anything on Photobucket. LOL.

• proudgm_03
    14 years ago

Carmen, I'm with you. I hate Halloween (no offense to anyone who likes it). There is enough scary stuff in the world without taking a day to celebrate it! This is about as Halloween as I get.

• hdiperna
    14 years ago

Goodmorning all. Hope I am not stepping on any toes...but I moved this part of the list down. I got tired of scrolling all the way up to see it.

Leah
    Becky
    Annie
    Denise
    Dan
    Kathy
    Alana

Tracy...anything can happen in DC!! After living there nothing surprises me!!

Good laugh to start the day!!!

• dan_the_mailman
    14 years ago

Tracy, I live up here in Northern Michigan, and sad to say, that kind of stuff (and more) does still happen occasionally.
    Halloween is my favorite holiday. I can still remember getting all dressed up and going out with the folks for candy, and getting a few good scares too. Now I like to go all out with the decorations and do the scaring myself. It's all sort of like an extended rollercoaster ride for me. You know you're scared, but you do it anyway. Then, when you're at the top of that first hill and about to take that first plunge, you scream and try to remember that it'll be over soon. hehehe I guess that's why I like scary movies too. It's scary, but it's not real. My favorite type of horror movie are the ones that could actually happen. Not the "aliens from outer space" or "deranged murderer that won't die" (although those are pretty good too), but something like the SAW movies, which could be ripped from the headlines.
    For those of you who don't like Halloween, well, there are good reasons for feeling like that, and I can respect your feelings. There are (sadly) a lot of bad things which happen that night, and a lot of them in the name of religion. Hopefully, this year, you can concentrate on all the smiling little faces venturing up to your doors, hoping for a hershey's bar. Now, a desire for chocolate, that's something we can all relate to, right?

Have a great day Everyone!

Peace.
    -Dan (enjoying a slurp of that wonderful coffee)

• gardencraze
    14 years ago

I do love fall tho, the colors the harvesting, gathering and walking on crispy leaves barefoot. Love all things fall
    just don't like the evil of holloween.

You all have a blessed day, I'm of to work
    Carmen

• hdiperna
    14 years ago

Ok I know this is off topic but it is about seed collection which happens in the fall :-) I recently received some seeds from Lisa (awesome collection thanks for sharing). There were several packets of gaillardia...goblin, burgandy sunburst and fanfare. When I plant these in my flower bed can they be side by side? I am planning on collecting the seeds to trade next fall, will the colors stay true if they are together or should I separate them. I don't feel right advertising a certain plant if the seed will not produce it. I hope this makes sense...I searched GW for this answer and only came up with stuff about tomatoes. Thanks for any info you can give me!!
    Heidi

• dancingrabbit
    14 years ago

i see with the updated list my name is on top does that mean its my turn? im confused ---Leah

• canyonwind
    14 years ago

Leah...Good Morning...it is your turn!!!!

Annie

• hdiperna
    14 years ago

Hi Leah,
    Yes I think its your turn, and going off the last updates character list I think these choices are left...

Count von Count
    Elvira
    Lily Munster
    Count Duckula
    Herman Munster
    Incredible Hulk

Please some one else chime in if I am wrong...I am just trying to help this along...I know selfish of me but I WANT MY PERSON!!!

• dancingrabbit
    14 years ago

i will take Elvira

• tracyvine
    14 years ago

Heidi, my thought on the subject is to specify that the seeds are Open Pollinated when you list them for trade and may not come true to parent. I think most seeds that are traded here (collected by members, not commercial seed) are open pollinated. It is very difficult to produce true seeds to parent when doing so in a home garden. Conditions have to be very controlled no matter how far apart you plant. I have hummers that go from the common NO ID heuchera to my named heuchera that are planted 50 feet apart so could never say that any of my heuchera seeds would come true.

Dan, I thought it was up there, thanks for helping me not feel too crazy. I am always shocked when bad things happen on Halloween. To me it is all fun and silliness. I don't get into dressing up myself but love how excited the kids are to show off their outfits and pretend to be someone (or someTHING) else for a night.

So I guess it is now Becky's turn to pick! Weee! Moving right along this morning.

Alana, I hope you aren't working too hard today.

• hdiperna
    14 years ago

Tracy thanks for the answer. Everyone in this group is so nice and informative. I have been lurking in other forums and some people are down right rude. Very discouraging to new people.

So Tracy what are you cooking in your big cauldron today?

• pat_6
    14 years ago

LOL, Tracy! Are you tailoring your images for those who prefer a kinder, gentler Halloween? You're too funny! (After that gruesome cup of blood, she's a welcome change!)

Halloween is definitely my favorite holiday. Like Dan says, what's not to like about candy? When I was a child, everyone got dressed up (no store-bought costumes for us) and went Trick-or-Treating. I can only remember ever doing any mischief one time. That was stringing toilet paper on the boxwoods of someone we thought curmudgeonly.

As an adult, I still love Halloween. Sadly, we receive absolutely NO trick-or-treators. Since that is the case, I find that I decorate, and look forward to the holiday, a little less each year.

A few years ago we (DH & I) started an annual tradition of having a grown up Halloween party of sorts. We select a different "Murder Mystery" party game each year and have 6-8 guests dress in character and play a role. They come here for dinner, while we solve the puzzle. Not as much fun as when kids came house-to-house better than sitting on the front porch waiting for a little goblin to happen by, as I eat all of the treats! LOL!

Speaking of trick-or-treators, I asked my 8 year old nephew what his costume would be this year. He told me, "Bond. James Bond." That just cracked me up! I asked him how he was going to pull that off. He told me he just needs a tuxedo and a toy gun. Then he added that he needs to practice being "suave and debonair"!

Pat

• hdiperna
    14 years ago

Pat your nephew is funny. When I was at Walmart my 3 year old wanted to look at the swamp monster costume. I guess they were sold out because we couldn't find it. He proceeded to tell me that his costume had been kidnapped and we needed to find who did it...I think he watches to much Scooby Doo!!

Kids say the funniest things!!!

• Kathy Bull
    14 years ago

Halloween is a fun holiday for me. It's all about candy and having fun. Here in south Texas, it can be 90 degrees or 60 degrees, depending on the weather! I made tombstones last year out of styrofoam, but the dogs knocked over the stack they were in and broke them when we were moving things out of our old shed. I put out skeletons, pumpkins, black cats, bats and ghosts. None of the gory, scarey stuff, just the fun kind. I don't like the blood and gore decorations. Save that for the commercial haunted houses.

Halloween was definitely much more fun when my kids were younger. They don't seem to get into it too much, except to see what the trick or treaters are dressed up as, or to see how much of the candy bag they can devour before the 31st. I usually end up having to buy more candy, not because of the trick or treaters, but because of my kids (well, okay, us adults are guilty of digging into the candy bags, too!)

Pat, I love the idea of the murder mystery party. A friend of my daughter's had one a couple of years ago and it was a real blast. Our HOA hosts a Halloween party for the little kids each year. Activities are bobbing for apples, face painting, ring toss, cake walk, costume contest, etc. One of the parents got industrious and made a cardboard box haunted maze for them to crawl through. They served punch and cookies and cupcakes and gave out goodie bags. Another parent provided the flat bed trailer and hay bales so the kids could take a hay ride. (The same person does this at Christmas for the neighborhood carolling.) Fun time for all that ends about dark so the kids can head off to trick or treat or parties.

As for the bad side of Halloween, our humane society and animal control services stop adopting out black cats well in advance of Oct. 31st. Sad that there are weirdos out there that still commit outrageous acts, but we have been lucky that nothing has happened locally in a few years.

~Kathy

• tracyvine
    14 years ago

Pat, you know me too well! I was trying to find a pic of a witch at work and came across that sweet little witchy working over her cauldron and thought "this would be perfect for some of the girls". LOL! Your nephew is a scream. I can just picture him all decked out and practicing being suave and debonair in front of the mirror. LOL! What a ham he must be. I can't believe you were out TP'ing some poor unsuspecting person's home. Bad Pat, bad, bad, bad Pat! (snickering)

Heidi, I have no idea what's brewing today. I am fresh out of AB so Dan is just going to have to nurse that cup of his for all it's worth. I went through all my newts and only have a pinch of frogs toes left. Hmmm, I really need to hit the coven market. Your little guy sounds like a hoot. I love it! Scooby Doo was one of my favorites. Gotta like those nosey kids and their quivering pup!

I'm glad to help with any questions. There are more people here that have a lot more experience with seeds than I do. Karen (kalena) and Mariann (galium) may have some more information to share than I do. They're some smart cookies.

I don't understand how some people act persnickety in certain groups. Occasionally some people do act poorly. I have gotten into a few spats over it in the past. It is always much easier to be nice than not. I'm glad you're here and couldn't be happier hear that you like hanging out with us.

• smitties
    14 years ago

I am glad to see that those of you who do not care for Halloween are still posting and not getting scared off.

I love Halloween but do not like all things scary. I don't mind being the scarer but don't like being the one who gets scared. I don't do scary movies and never take me to a Haunted house display. Even a corn maze spooks me. Heck, I don't even like going out of the house in the dark by myself.

My son and dil host a Halloween party every year. It is more about the food and drink really. (They don't serve what Tracy does though). We do dress up but I don't have any ideas this year yet. My dil is upset because they were invited to a shotgun wedding on the day planned for the get together this year. Not sure what we are going to do.

• proudgm_03
    14 years ago

Well, I would have taken Barnabas Collins since I watched that after school back in my much younger days! I guess I'll have to take Lily Munster. Loved her hair and she is a vampire after all. I could use a little fresh blood mine is getting old and worn out!

I love fall and the cool crisp weather and all the changes it brings. We live at the end of a country lane and we never get trick or treaters. But I buy the candy anyway just in case. Who am I kidding! I buy the chocolate for me!!!

• dan_the_mailman
    14 years ago

I love all the posts that've been made today! You all have me giggling so much the cats are looking at each other and asking "Did he get into the catnip too?" I'll tell ya, I don't understand the uppity and sarcastic people either. I have such a good time usually here on the GW, especially these past few days hanging out with you ladies.
    Now, I have a question for you all. Who here wouldn't mind a bottle of wine in their box? I'd like to know before sending some to someone who doesn't drink. That would just be a bad situation, and I'd rather not send any to someone who doesn't drink.

So, what say you Little Tall? (anyone know where that quote is from?)

-Dan

• just1morehosta
    14 years ago

We never celebrated any holidays,(religion)long story!
    But we do now,so every thing is new to me.
    The last couple of years i have gone with my grandchildren,up north, and their whole neighborhood gets involved,All the streets are lite up.people are out in their front yards having cook outs, music is playing,it is like a couple of blocks party.So much fun.
    The kids are all well behaved, no cutting through yards,i wondered if it was always like that,but have been told,no, not always,some neighborhoods are different.
    Any way, it is fun.
    prodgum,oh,sorry you missed out to be Barnabas,didn't you just love that TV show.But i'm glad i am he.
    Barnabus

• just1morehosta
    14 years ago

Something gentle,for all you "skeeredy cats"

Five little pumpkins sitting on a gate.
    The first one said,
    "Oh my,it's getting late"
    Thw second one saod,
    "But we don't care"
    The third one said,
    "I see WITCHES in the air"
    The forth one said,
    "Let's run,and run,and run,"
    The fifth one said,
    "Get ready for some fun",

Then WHOOSH~~~~~~~~~ went the wind,
    And OUT went the lights,
    And the five little pumpkins rolled out of sight.

What does a witch kid,want for xmas?
    A haunted dollhouse

What do you call two witches who live together?
    Broom-mates

What do you call a witches garage?
    A broom closet.

tee hee
    cAROL

• canyonwind
    14 years ago

As a fifty-one year old "youngster", it is rather sad what has happened to the carefree fun of Halloween. Going from house to house with your buddies, without parents... tricking (no, not that tricking) and treating until 11pm or later. It was good old fun. Parents did not worry like they do today. They did not have too.
    I tell my 13 year old twin nephews of all our fun. They can NOT even imagine how we had all that freedom on Halloween night (and other nights). Of course, they can not imagine NOT having a computer or an IPOD either.
    We get so few children on Halloween and I know every year it will be less and less. But for good old times sake, I continue to buy lots of awesome candy. My husband thinks I am nuts...but that is his problem...not mine...LOL!

OK, tiz time for me to reveal who I am...........

Just call me.....Spot...the fire breathing dragon who would LOVE to get a bottle of vino buried in a box.

Denise (your next to choose)
    Dan
    Kathy
    Alana

Your choices....
    Count von Count
    Count Duckula
    Herman Munster
    Incredible Hulk

Correct me if I am wrong on the above.

I am off to get some alone time under the staircase and consume some Doggie Din Din.

Have a great night!

Spot