Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
materwitch

IE/IH October-Pumpkins, Squashes & Gourds Swap

sunnyk
13 years ago

I am a bit late posting...but Welcome to our Pumpkins, Squashes & Gourds Group Swap.

I will be taking sign ups until the 13th of this month. At that time I will e-mail my address to all of those who have signed up .

Please then send your seeds in to me by the 27th of October. And I will get your seeds back out in the mail as soon as I can. :)

Okay...now for the details.

This is a Pumpkin, Winter Squash and Gourd mass swap.

Everyone sends there seeds to me, I in turn will send them back out to everyone and hope that everyone gets something new and exciting and even some wishlist items.

Please put your Gardenweb name on your seed packets along with whether they are hand collected , from a trade or commercial.

Please no seed older than 2008.

I am asking that you include no more than 3-4 packages of any variety. That way we don't end up with 100 packages of Acorn and Butternut and nothing else. We all want some variety in our gardens, and the more varieties that come in, the more variety I can send you get back :D

At least 9 or more seeds per pack(unless they are extremely rare,then 5-6 seeds per pack should do)

There is no minimum package amount but try and keep it at a maximum of 30 packages per person.

Send your seeds in a Bubble Envy, along with a return mailing label, and enough postage for the seeds to make their return trip.In other words , whatever it costs you to send it out is how much to include for me to send it back. Stamps are fine. But no prepaid mailing labels. They don't work for this as I believe they are dated.

Also include a list of what you sent in,I will use this as a fail safe so I don't send back to you what you sent to me.

And please include a wishlist too :).

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Donna :)

Comments (65)

• booberry85
    13 years ago

Bonnie,

Your pumpkins & squashes are beautiful! Quite ironically what grew best for me for fall decorations were the volunteer gourds! I'm glad I didn't yank the vines in the spring. I did try to grow Long Island Cheese last year with no luck. Last year it was so rainy and crappy and cold, I just chalked it up to the weather. Maybe there's something about that variety that makes it hard to grow.

• sunnyk
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Holy Cow Bonnie!! That is one spectacular harvest...I planted Butternut Squash, mini pumpkins in both white and orange and 2 kinds of large pumpkins. The only vines that gave me anything were the volunteer mini pumpkins in my compost pile LOL!!I know it was my fault....the Large Pumpkins didn't get watered enough....and the other ones were sowed too thickly and grew too densely and then the humidity helped mildew flourish .....oh well the great thing about gardening for me is that there is always something that gives me more than I can use and freeze which makes up for the flops(this year,greenbeans)and for the mistakes....well there is always next year LOL!!

Still time to sign up :)

• highalttransplant
    13 years ago

Thank you, Becky and Donna! I had a 20'x20' plot at the community garden this year, plus I planted pumpkins and sunflowers down the outside of my backyard fence, since there is an empty lot next door. It's the first year that I've had enough space to grow large vines like that. It was a lot of fun! My very first year for a veggie garden, I grew those little mini-pumpkins up a trellis, thinking they wouldn't take up much space, LOL! No one told me that only the pumpkins are mini, the vines and leaves are still full-sized.

Congratulations on your bean harvest, Donna! I've about given up on beans, since the grasshoppers love them, and we get them in plague proportions here. They didn't seem to bother the lima bean types as bad, so maybe I'll stick with those next year.

I love trying new things, and like you said, you never know what you'll have success with from year to year : )

Bonnie

• sunnyk
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am going to take sign ups for a few days extra!! Monday I will e-mail my address so we can get the party started :)

SunnyK
    Donna

• sunnyk
    Original Author
    13 years ago

E-Mails have been sent!!

Riley17, I sent you your e-mail thru Gardenweb...let me know if you get it :)

• sunnyk
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just posted in the Pumpkins Forum(should have thought about that earlier...duh)

I am going to allow another few days to see if anyone wants to join us. I am giving til Monday, because as long as the seeds can be in the Mail to me before the 5th of November we are good :)

SunnyK

• booberry85
    13 years ago

Just to give you some incentive for planting next year...

Here is a link that might be useful: Largest Pumpkin

• booberry85
    13 years ago

If that wasn't incentive enough, there's a new world's record out there!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pumpkin record breaker

• carsons_mimi
    13 years ago

Donna,

May I join? I can have seeds in the mail to you on Monday if you'll email me your address.

Lynn

• booberry85
    13 years ago

I had to run to the post office today. So the seeds are on their way!

• sunnyk
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lynn-You are definitely welcome :) I will send you my address as soon as I finish typing this, LOL!!

Becky- I will keep a look out for your seeds :)

As soon as I receive seeds I will try to post so that you know that they are safe.

SunnyK
    Donna

• sunnyk
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lynn- I sent you an e-mail thru the Gardenweb site. I have had trouble in the past with e-mails getting lost so please let me know if you got it :)

Thanks!!

• carsons_mimi
    13 years ago

Donna, I did indeed receive your email. I'll gather up everything this weekend for mailing on Monday. Thanks again for including me in the swap despite my last minute request. ;-)

Lynn

• highalttransplant
    13 years ago

I've got pumpkins and winter squash in the oven baking right now. The seeds have been washed, and as soon as they are dry, I'll package them up and send them on their way.

My hands may be permanently orange now : )

• sunnyk
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We are happy to have you Lynn....as far as I am concerned the more the merrier :)

And Bonnie, I wish I was at your house enjoying that squash....MMmmmmm!!And you know, orange is one of my favorite colors!!

• sunnyk
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Becky - Got your seeds today !!

The fun begins!!

• carsons_mimi
    13 years ago

As promised, my seeds went out in the mail today.

• sunnyk
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Lynn...I will keep an eye out :)

• highalttransplant
    13 years ago

Donna, seeds usually dry very fast around here, since the air is so dry, but we actually had a couple rainy/snowy days this week, so the humidity has been up, and the seeds aren't quite dry yet. Hoping they will be ready to package up in two or three days. They should still get to you by the revised deadline, but thought I would give you a heads up anyway.

Bonnie

• riley17
    13 years ago

Sorry! I didn't get the email. I'll send you a message with my email, maybe that will work better. Getting my seeds ready to go out, sorry I haven't been on in awhile! Hope I'm not too late.
    Holly

• sunnyk
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the head up Bonnie, and you still have plenty of time to get them to me :)And man ...snow already , whew!!

And Holly, I will be keeping an eye out for your message so I can send you my address. I revised the due date to give everyone some extra time so no worries there :)

Donna

• sunnyk
    Original Author
    13 years ago

More seeds came in the mail today

so far I have recieved from:
    Becky-BooBerry85
    Lynn - carsons mimi

We are getting in a good assortment !! Looks like everyone will get at least a few things from their wishlists :)

Donna

• mrs.b_in_wy
    13 years ago

Wow! I wish it hadn't taken me until this morning to see this swap. I finally hauled in the squash last weekend. I think there are 10 varieties that I hand pollinated for seed saving, but I've only cut a couple so far. Ah, well. Maybe next year :) Happy gardening to all!

• riley17
    13 years ago

I just sent mine on their way!! You should get them soon.
    :)
    Holly

• booberry85
    13 years ago

That's a great haul Mrs B! Thanks for sharing the picture.

• highalttransplant
    13 years ago

Cute picture!

Half my seeds are packaged up, and the rest of the seed packets are labeled and waiting to be filled. I'm giving them one more day to be sure the seeds are dry enough. So my package will go out Monday morning.

Speaking of pumpkins, I have a batch of Caramel Pumpkin Oatmeal Bars in the oven right now, and we are carving the jack-o-lantern tonight, so those seeds will get roasted for snacking. Yum!!!

• sunnyk
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow that definitely is a nice bunch of pumpkins you have there Mrs B.!!Hopefully I will remember to post it earlier next year so everyone sees it :)

I will keep an eye out for your seeds Holly :P

and

Bonnie....would you mind throwing one of those Caramel Pumpkin Oatmeal Bars into the envelope before you seal it....LOL!!Or the recipe even????

Hmmmm...now I have an idea for next seasons swap. :)

Donna ;)

• booberry85
    13 years ago

Happy Halloween!

• highalttransplant
    13 years ago

My seeds went in the mail today as planned, and hopefully will be there by the end of the week.

Thanks for hosting, Donna. Can't wait to see what I end up with!

Bonnie

• carsons_mimi
    13 years ago

I second the request for the oatmeal bars recipe. They sound absolutely delicious!

• highalttransplant
    13 years ago

I'm posting a link to the recipe, but I have to say I was a bit disappointed in them. They weren't bad, and the kids like them, but they weren't as decadent as I had hoped, LOL. The recipe calls for 1/2 a package of caramels, but I'd probably try a whole package if I made them again.

Maybe I'll stick with my favorite pumpkin treat - Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins instead ...

Bonnie

Here is a link that might be useful: Caramel Pumpkin Oatmeal Bars

• sunnyk
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank You for the recipe Bonnie....and also for the heads up on the Caramels!!And it looks like I will be able to make this low-ish sugar(except for the caramel....LOL) for my diabetic hubby as well.

• sunnyk
    Original Author
    13 years ago

More seeds arrived today!!

So now I have seeds from:
    Becky-BooBerry85
    Lynn - carsons mimi
    Holly- Riley17
    Bonnie- Highalttransplant

So the only seeds left to come are from Sorellina. I know that she is swamped with harvest chores and is trying her best to get everything done, including the seeds to this swap :)
    I also just placed an order and of course I am waiting for those seeds to come as well,and will be taking a trip to my favorite Garden Store/Greenhouse this weekend in search of some more seeds.
    I am going thru all of the seeds and am enjoying every moment of it ...Thank You for being a part of my favorite swap !!

• sunnyk
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Still waiting on my order to arrive. I also have had an e-mail from Sorellina and she sent her package 2 weeks ago so it should be here any day now. Once those 2 items arrive I will swing into high gear :)

Donna

In the meanwhile....what is everyones favorite thing to do with Squash/Pumpkin. I love a good Butternut baked in the oven then mixed with a little clove and butter...then topped with brown sugar and baked a second time just for the brown sugar to make a little crust on top...yum!!I also adore Pumpkin Pie....and for Thanksgiving I make Pumpkin Cranberry loafs. I like mine with Walnuts....but for my sister and her hubby I make without(she is allergic plus she doesnt really like walnuts all that much)...I used to make a Pumpkin and Chocolate loaf(marbled)...but I havent made that one in years....

• booberry85
    13 years ago

I have 4 big pumpkins sitting on my dining room table, waiting for something to be done to them! This past weekend I made pumpkin bread and pumpkin muffins with pumpkin #5 and still wound up putting over 2 cups of pumpkin puree in the freezer.

I love butternuts or acorn squashes cooked in the oven with butter and maple syrup or brown sugar. Yum!

• highalttransplant
    13 years ago

Only 2 cups left over, Becky? Saturday, I made a batch of 7 dozen mini- pumpkin chocolate chip muffins, which the kids already finished off this morning, and I had over 2 quarts of puree left for the deep freeze! It was one of those Rouge Vif d'Etamps pumpkins. They have a pretty small seed cavity, so you get a lot of puree out of one pumpkin.

I've also made pumpkin choc.chip bars that were similar to a blondie. Wonder how they would taste with butterscotch chips? Hmmmm ...

Other ways I use the puree are adding it to waffle or pancake batter with a little cinnamon. Think I'll have to make some while the kids are on Thanksgiving break!

Oh, and pumpkin cheesecake with gingersnap pecan crust is pretty awesome too!!!

• sunnyk
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My Aunt used to make Pumpkin Cheesecake that I adored!! I have yet to find a bakery one that comes even close. Maybe I should give it a try myself!! Yours sounds divine with that gingersnap crust!!

And I wanted to make some pumpkin waffles this past weekend but ended up doing Sweet Potato ones instead ...made me feel all healthy and what not LOL!!

Seems like you all are making muffins....I need muffins now too LOL!!

• sunnyk
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I just checked on my seed order over at Baker Creek, it is STILL being processed. It has been over a week since I ordered it so I am getting a tad bit nervous. Of course they could be waiting on fresh seeds to dry and that would be good....but I will give them until Monday then dash off a quick e-mail to try and see what the hold up is :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Squash

• sunnyk
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That link above should have been preceded by the sentence-
    "I found this link over at the Pumpkin Forum and thought it was pretty interesting :)"

LOL...I had trouble posting it, and must have erased something by accident.... LOL

• highalttransplant
    13 years ago

Wow, I am amazed at how much I learned from an article written over 140 years ago. I think I falsely assumed that much of our current horticultural knowledge was gained in recent years. I especially liked the section on seed saving.

Thanks for sharing that, Donna!

Bonnie

• sunnyk
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I baked off my little mini pumpkins and one sugar pumpkin this morning.I now have 4 cups of pumpkin(or maybe a bit more) in my fridge cooling its heals waiting to go in the freezer...and....I just took a Pumpkin Cheesecake out of the oven, and man oh man, I think it is dessert for dinner night tonight LOL!!

• highalttransplant
    13 years ago

Yum!!! I'll be right over : )

Didn't bake any pumpkins today, but I'm thawing out some puree to make a pumpkin cream cheese dip to serve with graham crackers for snacktime at my daughter's preschool class tomorrow morning.

• sunnyk
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I just finished packing up everybody's seeds and they are ready to go into the mail tomorrow morning(going to send my hubby to the P.O. in the morning to do the deed, teach him to take a vacation day LOL)
    Once they reach you , please come back on and post here to let me know you received them. I am always a nervous wreck until my packages reach their new homes safe and sound.

I want to thank everyone here for joining this swap. I really enjoyed hosting it. And I think the best part was going over everyones wish lists and learning about all of the squashes that are out there. I am now better prepared to grow them myself due to the research I did for this swap....I found myself up late at night googling all of the fascinating squashes in bed on my cell phone LOL,and I loved every second of it!!

So Thank You all again ....and I look forward to our 2011 Incredible Edible season!!

• sunnyk
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The Seeds went out this morning!!
    Thank You All Again :)

• riley17
    13 years ago

I can't wait! Thank you for hosting!
    :)

• booberry85
    13 years ago

Donna,

I received my seeds today. Thanks so much! I've been having a rough time. We had to put my dog down on Saturday. I have a big audit for work tomorrow. So the seeds were a great little pick-me-up.

Thanks again.
    Becky

• riley17
    13 years ago

I got mine today too! :) So happy with them! Thanks everyone, and thanks again Donna for hosting!
    Holly

• carsons_mimi
    13 years ago

Mine arrived yesterday as well. What an amazing collection of seeds. Thanks for all who contributed to my future gardens! Thanks as well to Donna for all you efforts hosting the swap. It was great!

Lynn

• highalttransplant
    13 years ago

Hi Donna! Received my seeds today, and what a nice selection! There were several wishlist items, and things that I didn't even know I wanted, until I looked them up on the computer. Great job hosting!!!

Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday! I have Pumpkin Cranberry Bread in the oven, and will bake a pumpkin pie tomorrow. Hmmmm ... I wonder if I'll use up all of the pumpkin puree in the freezer, before next year's crop is ready to harvest, LOL! Very excited about all the new varieties I'll be growing : )

Thanks again,
    Bonnie

• sunnyk
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I had such a good time hosting this swap. I love all things Autumn...in particular things that are Halloween and Thanksgiving-ish,like Pumpkins and Winter Squash :)

Bonnie....I made 3 batches of Pumpkin Cranberry Bread today LOL!!Small World!You are going to be eating a lot of Pumpkin Pancakes this Winter....yum...I love Pumpkin Pancakes.....LOL!

Holly ands Lynn...I am glad you like your seeds. Can't wait to hear about all of the squash and Pumpkin next fall. :)

Becky...I am so very sorry to hear about your Dog :( I know how hard it is to lose a family member.I hope your audit went well....and I hope that you enjoy the seeds I sent :)

Thank You All for being a part of this swap!! :)