Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flwrs4ever

UPDATE: Birthday buddies extravaganza Oct

flwrs4ever
14 years ago

Hello everyone, can u beleive we are in October !! I am wishing all the October Bbuddies a Happy Birthday !!!!!

( this swap is closed to new sign ups but will be opening again for the Santa swap )

Colcol October 2

windred October 6

auntnawnee October 8

PLEASE only mail if they post a wish list, thanks !!

Thanks to all for completing the swap !!

Comments (67)

• colcol
    14 years ago

Hello, Highaltransplant, I'm on the eastern plains. have you gotten snow already? I'm hearing tomorrow might be our day. Sure wish it could have waited -- my Black Current Whirl HH seeds won't be able to mature, nor will my blue satin Rose of Sharon. I'M SO DISSAPOINTED!!!!!! Oh well, maybe next year.
    I spent about 2 hrs gathering up all my little gourds. Note to self -- plant LESS gourds next yr! HA! Tomorrow nites project is washing them up & laying out to dry. Definately less gourds next yr! Now I'm wondering what the heck I'm going to do with them! My original plan was to eventually make Christmas ornaments, but then after planting them, realized I planted the wrong kind. Should have done winter gourd (white bloom) instead of summer gourd (yellow bloom). So much learnin, but it's great & am having fun doing it :)
    I imagine you are a little challenged with what grows well at high altitude and what doesn't?

• highalttransplant
    14 years ago

No snow at my house yet, though the mountains around us already have a little on them. We did have a killing frost about a week ago, which is a couple weeks earlier than last year. Ended up with a bushel box full of green tomatoes, and about half that many peppers that were still green too. The gardening season went way too fast!!!

I'm not sure which was harder to learn at high altitude, cooking or gardening, LOL!

Bonnie

• shropshire_lad
    14 years ago

No way, you guys already got killing frosts? And I thought the weather here was bad! We got some wicked hail last night! Oh, how I loathe the onset of winter. Wake me up when it's spring!

And Coleen, that poppy pic you posted -- those are them! Those are the old orange ones I see in people's yards!

• threas
    14 years ago

Beautiful Poppy, Colleen!!!
    To post a clickable thumbnail (easier for people with dial-up to load page) from Photobucket, hover your mouse over the pic you want to post ,a box will appear below the pic, now check the box(or boxes for posting more than one pic)Scroll all the way to the bottom of the page, hit the "Generate HTML and IMG Codes".
    Copy and paste the first code into the message field. Hope this helps.
    Example of a clickable thumbnail.

{{gwi:561427}}

Theresa

• Michelle Reynolds
    14 years ago

hello everyone
    I'm running late again, but the cards are made I'm just late getting them out. I'm also hopping to get my salvia seeds dried first(hint, hint). I'm very jelous about the gourds, I plant birdhouse and apple gourds every year(white flower) and this year my son Timmy had gotten many seeds from very nice gardeners on GW and he had tones of gourds, snake, dipper,long bumpy ones, giant birdhouse, and bushal. but mine are still small I will be unlily to ripen since we are having 33 degree temps starting tonight. oh well such is gardening.
    but I will get my cards off this week (or next) but by the end of the month for sure.
    bappy birthday all
    michelle
    ps did I miss windred or has she dropped?

• colcol
    14 years ago

Thres, when I first saw your thumnail pic I thought "Wow! Those are nice gourds!" I've got gourds on the mind! Is that a trumpet vine?

Thank you thres, for another computer picture lesson. The learning continues! that photobucket is an amazing site!

This is my Creme De casis HH that I won't get any seeds from! :( My main problem is that I planted them where they get too much shade, but we are about 2 weeks earlier on average frost date too. I was thinking if I was really energetic and desperate, I could try transplanting it into a tree pot and bringing it in the garage at night, and out to sun in the day. BUT, certainly not that desperate!

Well, guess I'd rather have the killing frost than the hail!!!
    Shropshire lad, I'd say they're definately the old homestead type of poppy! I'll send you some of the 09 seeds-- at last, something I have for a birthday wish :)
    Just a little belated! AH HA!

• alwaysagarden
    14 years ago

Happy October Birthdays to colcol, winred, and auntnawnee!

Cindy : )

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
    14 years ago

Auntnawnee,

It appears we just have two birthday buddies with wishes, so I hope you both have a great birthday month! It's too bad to see some of the buddies who drop. :-(

Blessings,
    Angela

• colcol
    14 years ago

Auntnawnee,
    Wishing you a very happy and fun day!!!!
    How did it go?

• threas
    14 years ago

Happy Birthday, Auntnawnee!!!

Colcol, That is a brugmansia. Great job on learning to post thumbnails! Glad you could understand my instructions. :)

I see Colorado might have snow on Saturday night for the Rockies/ Phillies game!!!BRRRR!

Theresa

• suecirish
    14 years ago

Sorry I missed your birthday yesterday, Auntnawnee. But I do hope it was a happy one, and that the happy goes on!

• shropshire_lad
    14 years ago

Auntnawnee,

• just1morehosta
    14 years ago

Happy Birthday October Birthday Buddies,
    I am late getting my cards out to you,but they are on their way.
    Hope your Happy Day,turnes into a Happy Year.
    cAROL

• dimples31312
    14 years ago

Happy Birthday Oct. Babies!!!
    I am running late again this month.
    Cards going out soon.
    Big Hugs
    Dorothy

• colcol
    14 years ago

Birthday Celebration!
    Thank you, margarita10, for the bd greetings! I do not have that red poppy & look forward to wintersowing it! Also have never grown phlox or cosmos before. Thank you! And will try the Tenn. purple Coneflower for wintersowing too! And thank you for the aster seeds!!!

• carol57078
    14 years ago

Would someone please send me the Oct. addresses. My husband clean out all e-mail and delete them. Thanks, Carol57078

• auntnawnee
    14 years ago

Thanks to all of you for the birthday wishes..Special thanks to ColCol for the package of assorted seeds she sent,I can use every one of them next spring.To Dimples31312 for the three different types of marigolds that were sent,To Shropshire_Lad for the seeds that I didn't have yet,and To Margarita Maldonado for the marigold seeds and the other seeds..All sent nice cards too..

• colcol
    14 years ago

Carol57078, aren't husbands helpful? :)

Received a couple more bd greetings. Thankyou dimples31312 for the cute balloos card & seeds -- looking fwd to WS the mixed columbines, will be fun to see what developes! Also thank you for the white hibiscus/red eye! Shrophirelad, thank you for the bunches of seeds you sent -- honeyball bush, verbascum nigrum, echinaccea burpurea, southern belle hibiscus, gaillardia burgundy, and especially the daylily :)) Big smiles on the daylilly seeds. It says from Strwberry Candy. Is that the name of the daylily or a GW person trade? Oh, and the burgundy & White columbine I'm excited to WS! Thank you both so much!!!

• shropshire_lad
    14 years ago

Coleen, I'm glad you liked the seeds! I got your poppies, too, and will throw them in the garden and see what happens in the spring (fingers crossed!). The daylily I sent you is called "Strawberry Candy". It is very hardy and starting the second year should give you weeks of blooms! It is open pollinated, however, so I cannot guarantee that the plants that grow will be exactly true to the parent.

• dan_the_mailman
    14 years ago

Can someone please send me the October birthday addresses? I think my copy got accidentily deleted. I can't find them...

• just1morehosta
    14 years ago

Has Winred dropped out?
    Thaks,
    cAROL

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    14 years ago

Happy birthday to all of you october babies!

I mailed a card out today so keep mailboxing!!!

Lisa

• just1morehosta
    14 years ago

I need addresses also,thank you,
    cAROL

• intelkid
    14 years ago

Happy Birthday!

-David

• dan_the_mailman
    14 years ago

I've got two cards ready to go out, but no addresses. Could someone please send them to me?
    -Dan

• patrushka
    14 years ago

Oh my gosh!!! I'm so behind! I had to search to find the right forum because the link disappeared from my home page. I got behind over the summer and then my mom had another stroke. She is recovering very well.

Happy Birthday to all of the October babies!!!

I'll be working on catching up with those birthdays that I missed.

Pat

• auntnawnee
    14 years ago

Thanks Suecirish and Carol S for the nice cards and seeds..This has been one very nice birthday for me..you all are so great and generous..Am really looking forward to the next growing season now..

• aphroditelaughs
    14 years ago

Wow! I am ridiculously behind! But I caught up finally. I just mailed out my cards for July, August, Sept, and Oct! I am so sorry I fell behind. I haven't forgotten you all. Happy birthday to everyone!

• shropshire_lad
    14 years ago

Seeing as how all the October b-days are finished, when are the November b-days going up? I'm not trying to rush you Kym, I'm just wondering that's all ;-)
    It's getting really slow in this thread the past few days...come on guys the swap ain't over yet! Let's get some posts going! I miss the convo!

• dan_the_mailman
    14 years ago

***still looking for those October B-Day addresses so I can send these cards out. can someone please send them to me???***

• just1morehosta
    14 years ago

Hey Dan,check your e ,mail,i,and a couple of others have sent them to you.
    cAROL

• dan_the_mailman
    14 years ago

I've got the addresses now, thank you all! But, I'm going to hold off on sending out any cards/seeds/packages for a while. One of the carriers I work with came in this morning and announced that her daughter has the swine flu (h1n1). I don't know why the supervisors didn't tell her to go home, but now everyone who works in my office (about 60 people) have now had direct contact with the stuff. Most of the schools in the area are closed because of the h1n1, and the local hospital has begun to deny visitors to try to maintain the health of the patients and staff. I don't know a whole lot about flu viruses, but this one seems to be particularly virulent, so I'm quarantining myself until I see if I get the swine flu or not, and the local "epidemic" settles down. I don't want to take the chance of sending someone a little "extra" something, know what I mean? I hope you all understand.
    -Dan

• colcol
    14 years ago

Hello all! It's been a few days since I clicked on and I'm happy to say I have some more bd greetings to report :))))
    BIG SMILES, GUYS! tHank you so much!
    From Ishareflowers 5 packets which I plan to start under lights in peat pots. I really like the way you pkg them to send! from suecirish -- yellow & red Gaillardia, hardy hibiscus disco mix, and magnus coneflower -- also plan to do under lights. And from highaltrtransplant -- generous batch of seeds. Am anxious to look up Broadleaf Sage (salvia officinalis). I love the smell of sage.
    Thank you all so very much!

Patrushka, sorry to hear of your mothers stroke. My mother in law had a stroke about 6 wks ago; 89; it's our first experience with a stroke victim. Have a slight idea of what you've been thru.

danthemailman, we were told here in NE colo that all the flu going around here is the n1h1 because none of the other strains are out yet. They aren't testing anyone, unless you want to pay the $300 for the test. I think the epidemic has just begun here. But our schools aren't closed yet.

I have a weird thing going on I wanted to throw out to you guys. It has to do with gardening! :) Last Sunday I was cleaning up some old vines/tall weeds etc and got poked with some stickery weeds thru my worthless gloves. Next day was really sore. Next day 2 spots of blistery bumps on my arm, acking arm, next day acking arm pit, I'm thinking cancer... checked for lumps, lump on upper arm. Strange! So, Thurs am first thing call to make dr appt. They're booked until monday! Thats 5 days away! Today, more redish rash spots but minor. I really think it's all related from those weeds poking in my hand. Infection? Bacteria? Fungus? Poison? It's either wait til Mon for the appt or do emergency rm. I don't think i'm dieing just yet, so opted for the cheaper. So, I'm SO anxious to find out what it is and what cures it!!! The results of a blood test better NOT take a week! We are an extreme rural area -- which I feel has poorer quality and poorer service when it comes to the medical field!
    Anyway, the morrow of the story is ... It might be a good idea to wear really good protective gloves when cleaning out fall garden stuff.
    When I find out if my "hobby" is to blame, I'll let you know.

• suecirish
    14 years ago

Colcol, I wonder if you might not have gotten some kind of insect bite while you were cleaning out and didn't realize it. Spider bites in paticular can be quite nasty and the effects can last for days with sore hard bumps where the bite was and rashes and pain. Something to consider.
    Hope you have great success with your birthday seeds!

• just1morehosta
    14 years ago

Hi Coleen,
    I think your story is very important to us all,i always wear gloves when i garden.Have you gone for a test yet,please let us know the results.
    I think i reported here a couple of weeks ago,i was gardening,and i got bit-by-something!On the top of my head,to the left,for about 2 hours, it itched like crazy,the lump was the size of a frozen pea.
    Soon the left side of my face was all swollen,and painful.
    By morning, my left eye was the size of a golf ball,completely closed shut,and all red.I looked like i had been in a fight with Rocky.My doctor told me to take Sudafed,which i went and got right away,it still took a couple of days to get back to normal.
    What ever bit you, has traveled, that is why your armpits hurt.
    Who ever said gardening is not dangerous,heehee
    It's Saturday,have you heard any thing?
    cAROL

• suecirish
    14 years ago

Aphroditelaughs - Ellie
    Your package arrived today! What a lovely surprise. Thanks so much for the birthday greeting and Borage seeds. So what if my b'day was July, I still want everyone now to know you were so very nice to send it. Thanks! It's never too late for a b'day surprise.
    Sue ~ suecirish

• auntnawnee
    14 years ago

Thank you Aphroditelaughs for the nice card and the white marigold seeds..I'm so excited!!I've only seen them growing once and fell in love,they were so beautiful..

• just1morehosta
    14 years ago

Coleen:
    How are you today?Been thinking of you.
    cAROL

• highalttransplant
    14 years ago

Aphroditelaughs, thank you so much for the belated birthday wishes! I can't wait to try the Nicotiana 'Chocolate Smoke' and Stevia! Hey, I tried to wintersow Stevia last year, and didn't get any germination. Anyone have any advice for starting it from seed?

Coleen, any word yet?

Bonnie

• dan_the_mailman
    14 years ago

Ellie, you really provided a mood-booster today, thank you! With all this swine flu going on around here lately, I've been feeling a little cut off from everyone here on the GW since quarantining myself. Then your envie arrived with the beans and morning glories in it, and it felt like a ray or two of sunshine breaking through the clouds. Thank you so much!
    It's going to be a lot of fun next summer watching those pink morning glories get mixed into the patch of purple and blue ones that has established itself in my yard, and I'm looking forward to seeing if those beans really do get to be a yard long! Thanks for some interesting seeds!
    -Dan

• shropshire_lad
    14 years ago

How are you doing, Coleen? Is the arm any better?

Dan, sorry to hear about the quarantine situation. Did you ever get the seeds I sent you last month?

• dan_the_mailman
    14 years ago

S Lad, I think I did get some seeds from you. I'm not sure because my memory is a bit fuzzy right now.
    I made it to the doctor finally this afternoon (they're booked solid) and was diagnosed with the swine flu. Since my roommate is now coughing and running a temp, it looks like the whole house has got it. All the schools are closed now, most until next week. There have been warnings put out about not getting into large crowds of people until this is over. There's also a possibility that the town will cancel trick-or-treating this weekend. Hopefully parents will do something at home for the kids, can you imagine? Once I'm feeling better, I'm going to buy a few gallons of bleach and sanitize the whole house. Man, this sucks. I'm off to find some chicken soup, just wanted to let you all know how things are going hereabouts.
    Everyone take care, and I'll be back when I can.
    -Dan & Co.

• colcol
    14 years ago

Hi all, my son hijacked the computer the last couple evenings, but now it's mine!!!
    Had the dr appt yesterday morning & the dr was guessing it is either sporotrichosis or shingles. We decided it was sporotrichosis and I got a prescription. Late afternoon his office called & said the lab sample showed it was not a fungus. So ... guess it's shingles. However by bedtime my arm wasn't hurting anymore and lump in arm is gone. I'm going to finish off the pills anyway. 12 pills cost $92. So I am determined they are helping me! Just doesn't make sense to me to get shingles exactly where I pulled out stickers from that weed. They said the test results for shingles would take perhaps a week. I thot I'd spend more time reading up on shingles -- like if it could make your whole arm acke... It is a scary thing when you don't know what's going on & something going thru your body and not getting to see a dr for 5 days! Thank you all for thinking of me. But anyway, I'm glad I don't have the swine flu like Dan!!!
    Very sorry to hear of your misery, Dan.
    I'm starting a list for my next shopping trip -- chicken soup, chlorox, Sudafed ...

And I am happy to report some more bd greetings arrived!
    Chellflower sent me Colombine Nora Barlow, something on my wish list for a long time! Greatly appreciate it!
    And from aphroditelaughs -- nigella Mrs Jekyll, Columbine double mix and Poppy mix. Oh it will be fun to plant the poppy mix! Thank you both very much!

• just1morehosta
    14 years ago

Hi Colleen
    Good to hear from you.I meant to say my doctor told me to take Benadryl,not Sudafed.
    I never thought about it being shingles,i have had them the last two summers,each time when i was gardening.
    Shingles are very painful,do you have a lot of pain?
    You may have a rash in one spot,and blister like bumps in another,the med.is very expensive,the one i took was a high dose of antibiotic.Shingles can last a loooooooooooooooong time,so be prepared.
    cAROL

• piksi_hk
    14 years ago

Just wishing the October babies a belated happy birthday.
    Hope each of your birthday was filled with surprises.

Hey Dan, hope you are feeling better....BTW did you get my package last month. It had iris "grapesicle", mg, and others, which I can't remember.

Betsy

• colcol
    14 years ago

Snowy day here, more on the way! And I still have bulbs to plant! I'm a not keeping up with life very good this season!

I'm glad to say there is not the pain associated with shingles! That's one of the things that threw me -- I've had shingles before, the usual band around the underarm area... And oh so painful! But this is just a spot here & there on my hand & arm. And the 2 patches of mini blisters. So, it's not the usual shingles. They seem more like mosquitoe bites, so I'm lucky. It's already been over a week, so I'm debating about getting the antivirus or not. It is not severe soI'm thinking just deal with it. And if it does get bad, call for the antibiotics. For now that's my plan.

• alwaysagarden
    14 years ago

Dan,
    Oh how awful. Horrible how this stuff spreads so quickly. Please take good care of yourself, will be sending some prayers your way.

Colcol,
    Hoping you are feeling better. I've never had shingles but have heard they are miserable.

I'm behind with sending bd cards. Hope to be sending Aug. and Oct. sometime in Nov.!!

Blessings to you all and speedy recoveries!
    Cindy

• auntnawnee
    14 years ago

Thanks Rhonda for the card and marigold seeds..These were ones I didn't have yet..

• suecirish
    14 years ago

Hey, we need our two November Birthday girls to post their birthday wish lists on the new November thread. They may be last, but certainly won't be least! I don't know if Dan is going to feel up to making a cake right now though - we may have to wait a few days.

• colcol
    14 years ago

I clicked between the Nov thread and this one, debating about which one I should post too! How silly, Just do it!

I received a bd greeting from rbrady a few days ago. (sorry I couldn't get on right away) I love the Columbine mix! there are at least 3 different cultivars listed. It will be lots of fun with this one. AND with the echinacea -- diferent cultivar mix. It'll be like a surprize! Thank you very very much!