Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bonechickchris

Incredible Edibles All Bean Fall Swap!!!!! Just Beans!!!!

bonechickchris
14 years ago

Hello!

This swap is hosted on behalf of the Incredible Edibles and Incredible Heirlooms, by me. This will be a swap just for BEANS!!!! All and anyone are welcome to join this swap!!!! Anything that is considered in the bean family will be accepted!

This will be a mass swap. All beans will be sent in to me, along with a wish list. After I receive everyone's beans, I will redistribute them all back out to everyone, hopefully forfilling people's requests from their wish list.

You will receive the same number of packs that you send in, maybe more. This is a fair 1 for 1 swap.

Please include enough beans for a person to try a certain variety per pack. I am thinking 15-20 beans each. Smaller numbers are ok for very large sized beans, or rare/hard to find varieties.

You are welcome to send multiple packs. But please do not get carried away, like sending in 12 packs of a basic same variety bean. In that case, I may have to send multiples back to you. I am thinking 4-5 packs of one variety is acceptable, maybe more if it is a special bean. Just try to keep common beans to a minimum. This will ensure that everyone gets a good variety back.

There is no limit, you can send in one pack or 50 packs.

Please feel free to send in extras!!!! It helps me to give back more of a variety to everyone. I will also be rolling in beans myself as extras too.

I know this probably should go without being said, but please DO NOT send beans from the grocery store or beans that were grown for eating from the bean isle!!!! Only send in beans that were grown for re-planting!!!! I know that sounds dumb, but I have received seeds once that someone took from their cubboard out of the Goya bag!!!! That is horrible! Please send in seeds that you would find of a quality that you would like to receive back yourself.

There is a place called Purcell Moutain Farms that sells exotic beans for eating, but their beans are also promised to sprout and to be true. So for hard to find, unusual beans, beans from their are ok! I am really just against the sending in beans from the Goya isle! You know what I mean!

Feel free to send in commecial beans and/or beans harvested from your own garden. Just please indicate if they are commecial or garden harvested on your packet!

Please send beans that are no older than 2 years!!!! No bean mixes either!

Inclose enough postage for the return of your package please! Beans are HEAVY! Since beans are heavy, you may want to ship them in one of those small Priority Flat Rate mailers that cost about $5 postage, no matter what the weight is and you will know exactly how much postage to send in. I would then return your beans in the same box. That is just a suggestion for people who plan on sending in a lot of beans.

If you are sending them in an bubble envelope, please make sure that the envelope is strong enough to protect the beans coming in and going out. I will reuse the same box/envelope that you sent your beans in to save you.

I will hold sign ups for a while, in order to give people time who are still harvesting for a fall crop. I will be accepting beans sent in up and until October 15th. I am hoping to have everyone's beans back to them by Halloween.

PLEASE include a Wish List, so I can try to give you back beans that you want or need. Please also include a list of what you SEND IN, so I do not send you back what you gave in!!!!

Sorry for all the reading! I just want this to be a fair and fun swap for everyone!!!! If you have ANY questions, PLEASE ASK!!!!

Thank you!!!! It will be great to get all of us bean lovers together out there!!!!

Christy

Comments (150)

• dirtdiggin
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Remy, that's really interesting. I've always lumped the two greasy and wax together lol. Now that you mention it everything I've grown that's called wax was yellow lol. Thanks so much for the info.

Toni

• grymntl
    14 years ago

Well, I'm glad to hear that you got my beans. Thanks, looking forward to seeing what I get back.

Bruce

• sassybutterfly_2008
    14 years ago

Thanks for the additional info Remy!!

I actually came across a bag of mixed green and wax 'yellow' beans at the grocery today so I quickly nabbed it. We'll be steaming them for dinner to see how the kids like them. Then I'll know whether to add them to our 'to-grow' list!

Hugs all,
    Wendy / sassyb...

• dem_pa
    14 years ago

I hope to mail mine out by the end of the week. I want to give them a few more days to dry.

I hope to send Cranberry bush beans, Turkey craw pole beans, Lazy housewire pole beans, Marie Amazilitei's pole beans, Top-notch yellow bush beans, and Calypso bush beans. Marie Amazilitei's pole bean is yellow and instead of growing straight it curls into a C or almost a six.

Don (dem)_pa)

• booberry85
    14 years ago

I spy with my little eye, something on my wish list!!! LOL! Don, those look great!

• dirtdiggin
    14 years ago

LOL ME Too Becky hehe :)

• sunnyk
    14 years ago

I see something on my wish list too LOL!!

I am waiting for a few pods to start frying...and I hope they will be ready by Monday, so I can get my beans out by next Friday :)....but if not I will have to send in only what I have now :(

Donna :)

• sunnyk
    14 years ago

I am waiting for a few pods to start frying

Okay that really should have said drying....but ironically I sauteed up a batch of garlic green beans with dinner tonight ROTFLMBO!!

• bonechickchris
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Your picture is too tempting DON! LOL!

I have been waiting to eat my Stortino de Trento beans I grew this year from Seeds from Italy. I have been adding them to a baggie I have in the freezer. I was suppose to eat them with my birthday steak and some potatoes another GW member gave me, but I did not make it yet since I was sick. They are really pretty beans with the purple on green curly pods.

Still waiting for My Lamon beans, another Seeds of Italy bean, to dry. They are still full green on the vines with no signs of drying! UGG!

Has anyone ever grown Blue Jay beans? I want to try them next year.

Christy

• luvgardening2
    14 years ago

Donna, YUM! That sounds so good. Is it simply just garlic and green beans? Do you put anything else?

I can usually just eat a whole bowl of plain steamed green beans. I just had some for lunch. They are growing faster than I can keep up with them.

Sometimes I make it like my dad use to make it. Blanch the green beans and drain. Then in a skillet, put butter and throw garlic in and then the green beans and drizzle with oyster sauce. I am sure it is calories galore that is why I only indulge once in a while.

Don, I see a few that I sure would like to grow out. I checked your list and you do not have any listed. Is there any beans you would like? I will try to dig deep and see if I have it to share.

Nancy

• bonechickchris
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Nancy, are you posting at the same time as me again? LOL!

• dem_pa
    14 years ago

I had two gardens this summer. My vegetable garden and I had beans planted in my cottage garden. I had butterbeans/lima beans, Cherokee Trail of Tears and several others planted in the cottage garden. After they were growing for several weeks, a family of voles moved into that garden. They destroyed all of the beans.

I would like a few Cherokee Trail of Tears and any kind of lima beans. Pole or bush. Any kind of soup bean.

Don

• sunnyk
    14 years ago

Nancy...I love green beans sauteed in butter...and adding oyster sauce sounds absolutely yummy!!
    Sometimes I add some dark soy to them. But this time it was just good extra virgin olive oil, kosher salt and minced fresh German Red garlic.Oh and a few slices of kohlrabi, only because I had them LOL...! Boy it was good...especially because I got the last serving out of the pan with all the little browned bits of caramelized garlic, oh boy I wish there were some leftovers :)

• arroyogardener
    14 years ago

I am at a complete loss as to what to do. I have my beans all packed up. I have been on vacation for a couple of weeks and just got back. I just ran back through posts and don't see my name on the list anywhere. I sent out an email before I left to be included and assumed I would be added. I'm not sure if I should send seeds or what to do from here. I'm confused. Can someone help? I really want to do this exchange and have everything ready but, don't know what to do from here - I feel amazingly silly!...hugs, Jamie

• bonechickchris
    Original Author
    14 years ago

HI Jamie!

Relax! LOL! There is no cut off date for signing up here. You just need to send your beans to me so I get them by October 31st! So no problem! I will add you to the list! Just send me an email so I can send you my address! Everything is ok!

***bonechickchris~Christy
    ***dirtdiggin~Toni
    ***booberry85~Becky
    sunnyk~Donna
    highalttransplant~Bonnie
    gardenmom2~Nichol
    ***grymntl~Bruce
    tormato~Gary
    sugarshane1313~Jim
    sassybutterfly 2008~Wendy
    dem pa~Don
    zebraman
    ***Daniel aka dirtdiggin Jr.
    luvgardening2/Nancy
    remy
    arroyogardener/Jamie

(*** seeds Received)

• arroyogardener
    14 years ago

Thank you so much for adding me to the list...lol...I really am not crazy or addicted to beans...lol...I feel so silly now. For those that don't know I contacted poor Christy on here, her garden email AND her AOL! She was so sweet to respond to my babbling very kindly. I know it's silly to be so excited about beans but, I was so looking forward to this exchange. It's my first!. Thanks to all for your patients with me! Hugs!

• reyna1
    14 years ago

I have 4 different types of beans and I would like to be included in this swap.

Danny

• remy_gw
    14 years ago

Hi Christy,
    Just letting you know I got my package on its way : )
    Thanks for doing the swap,
    Remy

• dirtdiggin
    14 years ago

For those that don't know, Christy had some computer issues. It burped and said I'm not turning back on...ugghh...Oh I hate it when that happens.
    She's checking emails...and doing what she can from a dino...we all remember our dino's lol. Bless her heart for doing this swap!

Hope to see you up and running soon Christy.

Toni

• sassybutterfly_2008
    14 years ago

Ugh! no fun dealin' with dinos!!

Toni could you email me Christy's address?

Thanks!
    Wendy

• arroyogardener
    14 years ago

Sorry to hear about Christy's computer but thanks, Toni, for letting us know before we started to worry if she was sick or something. Computer burbs are no fun!!! but, this way we all know what's up and don't have to be concerned it's something worse. Thanks!

Hugs,

Jamie

• bonechickchris
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Guys!

Yeah, I did not even want to tell you all that my hard drive crashed on the lap top because something is always happening to me computer-wise, and it is almost unbelieveable! LOL!
    Anyway, I am in the dungeon on the dino computer like Toni said! LOL! They are suppose to replace the laptop hard drive tomorrow, so it BETTER work! I am so sick of everything computer associated breaking down on me!

Anyway, sure Danny, you can join! Just have you beans to me by Halloween.

I also received beans from Don and Jamie today!

***dirtdiggin~Toni
    ***booberry85~Becky
    sunnyk~Donna
    highalttransplant~Bonnie
    gardenmom2~Nichol
    ***grymntl~Bruce
    tormato~Gary
    sugarshane1313~Jim
    ***dem pa~Don
    zebraman
    luvgardening2/Nancy
    remy
    ***arroyogardener/Jamie
    reynal/Danny
    (*** seeds Received)

• arroyogardener
    14 years ago

I can't believe my beans got there already! You are in NJ and I am in a very small town in the VERY southern tip of Texas! They always warn us it will take a little longer! There was even a half day Saturday and a closed all day sunday in there...hummmmmmmmm... YaY for the postal system...lol!

Hugs,

Jamie

• sassybutterfly_2008
    14 years ago

I'm hoping to get mine packed up tonight and tomorrow.. by the wkend at the latest! lol

Hugs!
    Wendy / sassyb...

• booberry85
    14 years ago

Hey everyone! I don't want to hijack the thread but don't forget to checkout Incredible Edibles & Incredible Edibles newest swap, The Great Feast! Featuring all your favorite fruits, veggies & herbs!

Here is a link that might be useful: November Swap: The Great Feast.

• highalttransplant
    14 years ago

Yeah, it's lonely over there at The Great Feast, LOL! I know there are a couple of really big group swaps going on right now, and it can be overwhelming, but this one is a partner swap, so it's only a half a dozen or so packets of seeds (unless you're one of those that go completely overboard, and you know who you are, LOL!!!)

Christy, I have my beans all packaged up, and they will go in the mail tomorrow.

I'm finally caught up on all of my smaller swaps and trades, now it's time to get serious about harvesting some seeds out of the flower garden.

Bonnie

• sunnyk
    14 years ago

Sheesh...I have been waiting on my 4 biggest pods for weeks now...but they absolutely refuse to dry...they wont even show a hint that they even want to attempt to start drying. I really intended to have my beans to you by now....but those darn green pods...well I will give them until Monday, but then that package is getting shipped one way or another.

Oh ...and I am keeping my fingers crossed for a speedy Computer recovery for you!

Donna :)

• luvgardening2
    14 years ago

I really thought I would have the beans on their way to Christy by now but I have been busy and I am also working on another BIG swap. I went through wish list and packaged seeds up but I have these seeds that are NOT on wish list. I wanted to see if there was any interest before I went through the trouble of packaging them up. I know. I am LAZY.

Delinel
    Dolico-Dall' Occhio
    Festina
    Fin de Bagnol
    Koala
    Maxibel
    Tavera
    Topcrop
    Xera

Purple Podded Pole
    Supermarconi

Lina Sisco's Bird Egg

Nancy

• dirtdiggin
    14 years ago

Hi Nancy,

I would sure be interested in Fin de Bagnol, Tavera and Maxibel.

Toni

• booberry85
    14 years ago

I'd love to try the Tavera & Delinel beans, Nancy. Thank you for offering.

• bonechickchris
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Guys!!!!
    I received seeds from Remy yesterday (I hope for real this time Remy! LOL!)
    and Reyna came today! Thank you!!!!

Just to let you guys know, I will be away for a few days, Nov. 1st to the 4th or 5th. I think I will be able to check in online at the hotel so that is not a big problem.
    However, I am worried about any beans that will be sent in late, then will be stuck in my mailbox for those days I am away. I dont want them out in the elements that long, especially if it rains and the air is moist.

So PLEASE, for that reason alone, get those seeds to me by the 31st!!!!

All the pieces on my computer were fixed yesterday! Hooray!

***dirtdiggin~Toni
    ***booberry85~Becky
    sunnyk~Donna
    highalttransplant~Bonnie
    gardenmom2~Nichol
    ***grymntl~Bruce
    tormato~Gary
    sugarshane1313~Jim
    ***dem pa~Don
    zebraman
    luvgardening2/Nancy
    ***remy
    ***arroyogardener/Jamie
    ***reynal/Danny
    (*** seeds Received)

• sunnyk
    14 years ago

I swear that they will be in the mail by Monday afternoon!!

And I wouldn't mind a few of the Supermarconi if you still have the time :)

• bonechickchris
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have Supermarconi too Donna, so I will definitely make sure you get them! Maybe just write it down on your list when you send them out! I know, I have beans that I planted in the spring, well they sent out new shoots and another crop, and they are still all green! It is insane! LOL!

Christy

• tormato
    14 years ago

My package went out today. Sixty-three varieties, 305 packs. It looks like there will be enough Supermarconi (my second favorite bean) for all.

Gary

• remy_gw
    14 years ago

Christy,
    Lol, yes I'm sure they were from me this time : )

Gary,
    Holy Cow! 305 packs! You went crazy, lol.
    Remy

• sassybutterfly_2008
    14 years ago

WOW Gary! that's impressive!!

I am planning on heading to the p.o. tomorrow we've had flu symptoms here and I've had sick kiddos all wkend and today.. I hope tomorrow is gonna be better..lol ugh!

~Wendy / sassyb...

• grymntl
    14 years ago

bonechickchris,

Maybe you should stop your mail for the few days your going to be away next week. (Is it really that soon?) you can do it at www.usps.com or at your local post office. Keep those beans safe.

Bruce

• bonechickchris
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OMG Gary! That is A LOT of beans! LOL! Thank you so much! Please make sure you let me know of some varieties that you are looking for so I make sure I give you back some that you do not already have. Thanks!

I will only be away for like 3 or 4 days, sort of a half vacation. I have my mom coming over daily to feed the birds and fish, so she will bring in my mail for me. I just wanted to let everyone know, especially because the deadline will be passed, and if you dont hear from me for a few days, I dont want you to think I ran off with all the beans! LOL!
    So, probably all beans will be ok, I just would perfer they be here before so it would be one less thing to worry about.

I did not get my mail yet today, but I did get Bonnies beans yesterday!
    ***dirtdiggin~Toni
    ***booberry85~Becky
    sunnyk~Donna
    ***highalttransplant~Bonnie
    gardenmom2~Nichol
    ***grymntl~Bruce
    tormato~Gary
    sugarshane1313~Jim
    ***dem pa~Don
    zebraman
    luvgardening2/Nancy
    ***remy
    ***arroyogardener/Jamie
    ***reynal/Danny
    (*** seeds Received)

Hope you feel better Wendy, I know what that is like! When I was sick, I just wanted to shoot myself because I felt so bad! LOL! I could not think or do anything!

• tormato
    14 years ago

Crazy, Remy?

Good thing it wasn't a tomato seed swap. :)

Gary

• booberry85
    14 years ago

And here I thought 27 was a lot! LOL!

• remy_gw
    14 years ago

Becky,
    I did 26 I thinking it was a lot too!

Gary,
    Lol, I know what you mean about tomato seeds swaps!
    Remy

• dirtdiggin
    14 years ago

Daniel and I sent a few more, but Gary has us beat! LOL

• bonechickchris
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, I received Gary's HUGE package today! I felt like it was Christmas! LOL! He shared so many beans, you should all thank him for his generousity! And please GARY, let me know of some varieties that you DONT have so I can send you back some good ones in return!

sugarshane, gardenmom2, and Zebraman, if you do not mind, could you just send me an email or post to let me know that you are still in this and if your beans are sent out yet? No problems, just wanted to double check with the people who I have not seen active on the thead lately. Christy

***dirtdiggin~Toni
    ***booberry85~Becky
    sunnyk~Donna
    ***highalttransplant~Bonnie
    gardenmom2~Nichol
    ***grymntl~Bruce
    ***tormato~Gary
    sugarshane1313~Jim
    ***dem pa~Don
    zebraman
    luvgardening2/Nancy
    ***remy
    ***arroyogardener/Jamie
    ***reynal/Danny
    (*** seeds Received)

• bonechickchris
    Original Author
    14 years ago

TOday I got beans from sugarshane! Thank you!!!!

These are the people that I have not received beans from yet, with most of them I know they are on their way. Would gardenmom2 and zebraman, PLEASE let me know that you are still in! Beans are due tomorrow! Thanks!

sunnyk~Donna On Their Way
    gardenmom2~Nichol ???
    sassybutterfly 2008~Wendy On Their Way
    zebraman ????
    luvgardening2/Nancy ON Their Way

• dirtdiggin
    14 years ago

Trying a recipe with Jacob's Cattle Beans tonight. It's cooking now after soaking the beans over night, but I thought I'd share. It's real easy and simply cooks in the crock pot...

Vegetarian Crock Pot Baked Beans

Ingredients:
    1 pound dry beans
    1 onion, diced
    2 carrots, chopped or coarsely grated
    2 celery stalks, sliced thinly
    4 garlic cloves, minced (optional)
    2 tsp white vinegar
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/3 cup brown sugar
    1 6 ounce can tomato paste
    4 tbsp ketchup
    1/4 cup margarine

Preparation:
    Cover the beans with water and soak the overnight.
    Add all ingredients, including soak water, to a crock pot and stir to combine. Cook on low for 8-10 hours.

I'll let you know how it turns out :)

Toni

• reyna1
    14 years ago

I can't wait to see what goodies are sent to me!
    I didn't know there were so many different types of beans.
    Hopefully I get alot of soup type beans.
    I can't wait to start putting together some recipes to go along w/ the wonderful assortment of peppers I will have next year!

• dirtdiggin
    14 years ago

Okay...the votes are in and it's a thumbs up recipe!!!!!!! Absolutely delicious!!!!!

• booberry85
    14 years ago

Mmmmmm! Toni, that recipe looks like a keeper. I think I'm going to ry it this week.

• booberry85
    14 years ago

Hey! Dean (a regular on the Legume forum) posted some interesting reads on beans. You might want to check out this thread and these blogs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blogs on Beans

• arroyogardener
    14 years ago

Hi, I would like to request to drop out of this swap. If the beans have not been sent, please just pass mine out among the other people and use my postage for a later swap or swapper that may be short.

Thank you.